PDA

View Full Version : Hernia

workoutfreakk
05-23-07, 12:55 am
yo big ant, i'm pretty sure i'm in the beginning stages of a hernia. it couldn't come at a worse time, as i'm in full swing preparing for my first show later this year. i know you're not a doc or anything, but do you think i should go ahead and shut it down, or keep training as much as i can for as long as possible? if i am on the shelf for a while, should i keep eating close to my mass gain diet?

i truly appreciate the help.

BigAnt
05-23-07, 1:07 am
yo big ant, i'm pretty sure i'm in the beginning stages of a hernia. it couldn't come at a worse time, as i'm in full swing preparing for my first show later this year. i know you're not a doc or anything, but do you think i should go ahead and shut it down, or keep training as much as i can for as long as possible? if i am on the shelf for a while, should i keep eating close to my mass gain diet?

i truly appreciate the help.

================================================== ============
My thoughts, you will always find the time to compete, if you have desire for it, but, you must be healthy first...A hernia is not healty to still be trying to get ready for a show and look your best, unless it is the Arnold Classic and you are in the running for $100,000 and a new Hummer, let's think about this...

Did you go to a Chiro. or family Dr. and get evaluted?

What exercise bothered you the most, what brought this on?

Do you see a part of your abdomin wall protrude out?

Is it sore to touch, bend over, trouble sleeping?

Sure, we can "train around" injuries, but first have to be sure what injury we have..ok?

Answer these for me please and I will get back to you.

Thanks!

workoutfreakk
05-23-07, 1:14 am
i haven't made it to the doc yet, that's later this week. for about the last 4 or 5 weeks after any heavy deads, squats, or leg presses i have felt pain in my lower left abdomen (i had a hernia years ago on the other side in the same area). like an idiot, i went pretty heavy on legs this past session, and that particular area is "bothering" me since - it's not really painful discomfort, but i definitely know it's there. there isn't a petrusion as of now, but this situation is very stressful and worrysome.

thanks

BigAnt
05-23-07, 1:20 am
i haven't made it to the doc yet, that's later this week. for about the last 4 or 5 weeks after any heavy deads, squats, or leg presses i have felt pain in my lower left abdomen (i had a hernia years ago on the other side in the same area). like an idiot, i went pretty heavy on legs this past session, and that particular area is "bothering" me since - it's not really painful discomfort, but i definitely know it's there. there isn't a petrusion as of now, but this situation is very stressful and worrysome.

thanks
================================================== ===============

**Please take off from all lifting from the gym..until you see your Dr.
Could be a sprain---we will be positive right!

Heat it up in the morning, ice it at night...

We will wait for the Dr's evaul.

Remember, relax until you see the Dr.--no lifting---anything!

Cool?

workoutfreakk
05-23-07, 1:23 am
as much as it pains me to take time off...

i hear ya loud and clear.

thanks a lot.

BigAnt
05-23-07, 1:24 am
as much as it pains me to take time off...

i hear ya loud and clear.

thanks a lot.

================================================== ==========

PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED!

Machine
05-23-07, 4:05 pm
Didnt you pm me with these same questions. Ice and heat have no effect on the speed of hernia recovery. You cannot slow the onset of a hernia. If your abdomen is sore , its because your thoracic region is responsible for the displacement of valsalva or pressure. It is normal to have a sore abdomen with squats and deads. Train as hard as you can until it goes. I dont know of anyway to train hard and not have your thoracic region under enormous pressure , it CANT happen. Train...or dont train nervous nelly. If it goes...it goes. If you get caught up trying to anticipate every snag of your body you will not be able to train hard...I dont give a shit what anyone tells you. Also , even if there is a protrusion (which you say there is not) it doesnt automatically mean you have to undergo surgery. I have had four hernias and I know a few people who have had similar problems. There is far more to diagnosing an operable hernia than you feeling pain in your tummy. I had a fucking banana sized piece of intestine sticking out of my gut , it looked like I had two dicks for fucks sake...so dont be a worry wart. The only concern you need occupy yourself with is getting bigger...I dont want to be a dick but to a certain extent you need a kind of reckless abandon when it comes to your body to get ahead in this game...Good luck...it sounds like you will need it...

MACHINE

Maccabee
05-23-07, 5:07 pm
Hey bro a little while back I wanted to break a dead record so I lifted the barbell and I felt something in my lower abs which sounds something like what you got. Like BigAnt said dont train. Now I had nothing stickin out or a major bruise so I went back to train...eventually the pain went away. The thing is if you got nothing popping out there or have a bruise of some sort you dont have to worry about it to much. Give yourself some rest and see a doc. Peace

JMC
05-23-07, 5:21 pm
Okay...I may be reading this one wrong, but we may have a healthy debate here, and by two damn good sources. Big Ant says ice and heat, get to a doc....Machine says no ice and heat, push through it.

Not that I want to step in the middle of these two, for the sake of the OP, what's this kid to do....if he were to follow the advice of one?

ProteinJunkie
05-23-07, 5:51 pm
I am presently sitting here away from training in post-opp recovery from a laparoscopic double-hernia operation. I ask you: What is a 3-4 week break in exchange for limitless trouble-pain-free training for the rest of my life? A small price indeed. Train with your head ‘workoutfreak’. Your 22 and have plenty of time to make up for it. That is unless you want a banana-sized hernia sticking out of your gut...? I didn’t.

Debate or not – you can not ignore the common sense of fixing anything that isn’t normal. Two dicks is not 'normal'.

Peace.

k1usa
05-23-07, 6:05 pm
Didnt you pm me with these same questions. Ice and heat have no effect on the speed of hernia recovery. You cannot slow the onset of a hernia. If your abdomen is sore , its because your thoracic region is responsible for the displacement of valsalva or pressure. It is normal to have a sore abdomen with squats and deads. Train as hard as you can until it goes. I dont know of anyway to train hard and not have your thoracic region under enormous pressure , it CANT happen. Train...or dont train nervous nelly. If it goes...it goes. If you get caught up trying to anticipate every snag of your body you will not be able to train hard...I dont give a shit what anyone tells you. Also , even if there is a protrusion (which you say there is not) it doesnt automatically mean you have to undergo surgery. I have had four hernias and I know a few people who have had similar problems. There is far more to diagnosing an operable hernia than you feeling pain in your tummy. I had a fucking banana sized piece of intestine sticking out of my gut , it looked like I had two dicks for fucks sake...so dont be a worry wart. The only concern you need occupy yourself with is getting bigger...I dont want to be a dick but to a certain extent you need a kind of reckless abandon when it comes to your body to get ahead in this game...Good luck...it sounds like you will need it...

MACHINE
Agree with you here big M...I live in so much fucken pain...always pushing this 53 year old body to where it has never been...sleep is worth a shit most nights....I cant reach and wash my head sometimes after arms or delts ....legs cramp during the bit of sleep I get...wake up like someone was hacking them off with a rusty butter knife....shit bro......takes me 10 mins sometimes to get out of bed and stand upright "and not drag my knuckles" but bro.....no matter what...this old fucker is not giving up...never. Im so loving what is going on with the results part of this journey....I cant stop. Bring on the pain...bring on the cramps....give me 4 hours of sleep...and shit...Ill even take the "2 dick thing" if it happens...Im here to stay...and I know the reckless feeling...I hurl iron...and I go toe to toe with my beast everyday.........

gsb239
05-23-07, 6:24 pm
I am presently sitting here away from training in post-opp recovery from a laparoscopic double-hernia operation. I ask you: What is a 3-4 week break in exchange for limitless trouble-pain-free training for the rest of my life? A small price indeed. Train with your head ‘workoutfreak’. Your 22 and have plenty of time to make up for it. That is unless you want a banana-sized hernia sticking out of your gut...? I didn’t.

Debate or not – you can not ignore the common sense of fixing anything that isn’t normal. Two dicks is not 'normal'.

Peace.

I agree. 3-4 weeks is a small price to pay. You got your whole future to worry about. I wouldn't risk it with this sorta stuff unless the only thing you want in life is to be big.

Powerfreak
05-23-07, 6:33 pm

MACHINE

That's my crazy Brother...hell yeah!
I have one that sticks out of my belly button, at my level i don't have time for that shit, I just push that fucker back in and keep on gettin' it!!
Shit one of my training partners (jeff mcVicar) had one for ten years before he had it repaired, the women thought it was weird looking when he poked it out LOL

Torque757
05-23-07, 6:54 pm
I have had a nice lump the size of a golfball poke through, real sharp pain and would come out when doing, say , hamstring stretch on a parallel bar, , just laughion hard, and sometimes with almost nothing. Each time I pushed it in and the pain went away, I never did anything for it other than that and it hasnt bothered me a pretty good while. I am definantly with machine on this one.

k1usa
05-23-07, 8:02 pm
I have one that sticks out of my belly button, at my level i don't have time for that shit, I just push that fucker back in and keep on gettin' it!!
Shit one of my training partners (jeff mcVicar) had one for ten years before he had it repaired, the women thought it was weird looking when he poked it out LOL

good god....and I thought I was retarded...then I got one just above my navel as well...pokes out a but...n pushes in easy and no pain...well..not much.....shit...Im not alone!!!

BigAnt
05-24-07, 12:25 am
First things first.....Although I only see-hang out with Machine and Powerfreak several times a year, I have nothing but the highest level of respect for them, and do consider them good friends...this is not about who is right, I will give you my thoughts on my answer...

This kid did not get evaluated yet, so I was hoping for a sprain-strain...being positive...that is why I suggested applying heat and ice, reduce his physical activity, and get as much rest as possible.

Machine, PowerFreak, we all been down that ugly dark road..the INJURY ROAD...guys like us have that "know how" to adjust to the pain and work with it, through it, but train smart. A beginner-novice MIGHT not have that experience we have and COULD hurt himself more than the original injury....

Example..yeah a BigAnt story...sorry!

I have been nursing bad knees for about 5-6 weeks. I did the rest, had a cort. shot, taking everything over the counter, and some NSAIA's--trained light and it was-is better. Big AL and I trained legs on Sunday 5/20/07. I have not did lunges for the entire time of my injury. So he says, lunges are next. I say sure, I walk over and grab a light set of dumbells and start...He screams, what are you, a little f-n girl, get the 50's and lunge, you will know if that knee will hold...So I did, and the 50's felt good, damn good. Point is, I know enough if I had a pain-wierd feeling to stop the movement, and also while lunging, my form was text book on!

I do tend to hang on the "conservative" of things when it comes to injury training, but training with Big Al and learning from Machine and Powerfeak I am learning to "push" or I like to say--TEST MYSELF...more and after the test, I do pass with flying colors!

Thanks!
Ant

peterpyper
05-24-07, 1:42 am
dang this topic is pretty funny

k1usa
05-24-07, 4:14 am
dang this topic is pretty funny

this topic is dead on the money bro...its as real as it gets....

JMC
05-24-07, 9:27 am
...this is not about who is right, I will give you my thoughts on my answer...

Didn't mean to make it seem like a competition; I just thought it was interesting, considering "debate" was the word of the day yesterday, how two differing opinions come from two of the most respected pros on this site.

Maccabee
05-24-07, 11:58 am

Yo Powerfreak seriously bro, you fuckin crack me up. I never had a serious hernia, so what you said about that guy putting it back inside of him are you serious??? What does a serious fuckin hernia look like. Everyone is saying something like really long sticks out your gut wtf???? I am gonna go find some pics on the internet lol Peace. You guys are all fuckin crazy pokin in back hernia shits and continueing to train.

ironshaolin
05-24-07, 1:15 pm
Yeah seriously WTF. This morning I was doing deads, and on my 2nd set on the first rep, I felt something like poking me from the inside on the right side, right under where your lower abs shoot down. I paused for a second, then kept going. It had me mildly concerned, but not enough to stop my workout. Its really all up to you I believe, if you wanna push, push. If you don't wanna take chances, nobody will judge you for it.

BigAnt
05-24-07, 11:15 pm
Yeah seriously WTF. This morning I was doing deads, and on my 2nd set on the first rep, I felt something like poking me from the inside on the right side, right under where your lower abs shoot down. I paused for a second, then kept going. It had me mildly concerned, but not enough to stop my workout. Its really all up to you I believe, if you wanna push, push. If you don't wanna take chances, nobody will judge you for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How are you feeling now?

workoutfreakk
05-25-07, 12:51 am
I just wanted to let you know that I saw the doc, and he said i have a pretty bad abdominal strain - not a hernia! He said not to lift for at least 2 weeks, then evaluate myself from there. Heat several times per day, and take aleve for the inflamation.

I just want to say thank you for the advice, and I didn't mean to start any big debate in the thread post between two different trains of thought. Honestly, I'm with you in the way that it's best to be cautious with injury and not just disregard it and go "balls out"

While I'm on the shelf for these couple weeks, I'm gonna stay on my mass gain diet, concentraing on clean calories. I'm gonna look at this as a good time to evaluate my training, and get even more inspiration to train like an animal!

BigAnt
05-25-07, 1:04 am
I just wanted to let you know that I saw the doc, and he said i have a pretty bad abdominal strain - not a hernia! He said not to lift for at least 2 weeks, then evaluate myself from there. Heat several times per day, and take aleve for the inflamation.

I just want to say thank you for the advice, and I didn't mean to start any big debate in the thread post between two different trains of thought. Honestly, I'm with you in the way that it's best to be cautious with injury and not just disregard it and go "balls out"

While I'm on the shelf for these couple weeks, I'm gonna stay on my mass gain diet, concentraing on clean calories. I'm gonna look at this as a good time to evaluate my training, and get even more inspiration to train like an animal!

================================================== ============

GET YOU REST NOW, IN A SHORT TIME WE GOTTA TRAIN, TRAIN HARD--YOU WILL TRAIN TO WIN A BODYBUILDING CONEST!

Great news!

Ant.

ironwerks
06-03-07, 7:45 pm
Just had a repair and am looking for suggestions about how long anyone lays off training. Seems like everything I do pulls on the repair. Thanks for any suggestions/info given.

Liftbig21
06-03-07, 8:20 pm
Just had a repair and am looking for suggestions about how long anyone lays off training. Seems like everything I do pulls on the repair. Thanks for any suggestions/info given.

You should consult your physician with any questions reguarding that bro,everybodys different.Your doctor would know when its safe to do it...if he says 8 weeks but you feel good on 7 then just go very light and see what bothers you and what doesnt.But definitely ask him.Get well bro.

ironwerks
06-04-07, 1:04 am
Thanks Liftbig21. Point well taken. I will be talking with him this week. Will get his take on it.

crypto
06-04-07, 10:05 am

you ask here before you ask ure doctor????? wowwwwwwwww

Dingo
06-04-07, 10:11 am
had a hernia myself, front lower abdomen. best thing that i did was lay up for a few weeks (docs orders), watch a few comedies with a good friend and laughed my ass off. the laughing hurt at first but got my abdomen over the soreness faster.
keep your diet on point and you wont suffer any huge set backs

Fridge
06-04-07, 3:59 pm
I had an inguinal hernia, in the groin area. Had to have the operation done. It took me 6-8 weeks before i was given the 100% to go back to the gym. Make sure to make an assesment appointment with your doctor in about 5 or so weeks to see where you stand. I highly recommend not doing any lifting during this time. Hernia's can repeat themselves very easily, especially when it is in repair. Take the time off, i know it'll be hard, rest up, eat clean and plan for your comeback when the doc gives you the go ahead.

cheers

grissinger
06-04-07, 4:05 pm
Was it done laprascopic, few tiny holes slide a camera in and repair, or open, one longer incision? Lap hernia repairs generally have a quicker recovery time 3-4 weeks, light lifting the progress. Open hernia repairs are tad longer recovery post op. Do ask your surgeon he is the expert. However, generally speaking athletes recover quicker.

Fridge
06-05-07, 1:28 am
i had an open surgery, and yeah im an athlete, im not sure if it helped in my recovery but it was painful the first few days. Even now ive been feelin some of the effects from it. Depending on the type of surgery you had, recovery time will vary

billmd1334
06-05-07, 9:34 am
pick up the phone and ask your doctor man... I don't think anyone here is certified to give you that type of info...

Riesjs
06-08-07, 9:09 pm
Athlete or non-athlete listen to your body AND your doc. put both together and you will know when it's time to come back. Same deal here, hernia's can be a short set back but you can overcome that. Come back to the weights light, dont rush it. No need for any more set backs.

Space Cowboy
06-08-07, 9:14 pm
Im sick of hernia repairs, seriously, had to go through 8 of them in work today, 6 were laparoscopic. Consult your surgical team, even if you only had it done laparoscopically they will be able to tell you of any scar tissue, adhesions they found whilst looking around. Good luck!

EASI

Raiderbri
10-15-07, 8:44 pm
Hey brothers...greetings from Chicago. I am going to the doctor Tuesday as I have a hernia. Going to see the surgeon to see if this needs to be done. Doesn't look good. Question..anyone ever had an operation and how long did it take for you to get back on track? I know there are different types and various degree of severity. Any help would be appreciated.

carpediem300
10-15-07, 9:46 pm
Hey brothers...greetings from Chicago. I am going to the doctor Tuesday as I have a hernia. Going to see the surgeon to see if this needs to be done. Doesn't look good. Question..anyone ever had an operation and how long did it take for you to get back on track? I know there are different types and various degree of severity. Any help would be appreciated.

I had mine about a year ago .. inguinal hernia. This was in my pre-Animal days when I was doing heavy cardio and infrequent weight work. Mine was NOT endoscopic. Those are falling out of favor, from what I have heard. Anyway, mine was fixed with the mesh sewn into the fascia wall. I was back on the cross trainer and bike in about 2+ weeks. When I would get a twinge, I would let up on intensity.

I would just make sure that you get good advice from a sports doc. I would guess stuff like squats would be the last exercise that you are back for full-time. I wouild really make sure though to slow-stretch and start out light ... basically listen to your body ... YMMV.

priority
10-16-07, 5:56 am
hey,
Mine was an endoscopic one and i was sown back together with dissolvable mesh in the wall. I waited a few weeks before i did anything at all. Then just begin lighly and work back up with the poundage like you would normally trying to progress. Begin to focus on your core muscles, so spend extra time on ab work and perform the exercises a lot slower than normal and hold for a contraction at the peak. But most important in my opinion listen to your body, and how it feels. Be carefull!

jmckin726
10-16-07, 9:37 am
I was walking around with a umbilical hernia for a yr and a half, because i didnt have insurance at the time and the pain even though severe only lasted a few seconds. The doctor told me i was going to have a small incision in my belly button and it would only take a few stitches. Well they said the hernia was worse than they thought and I ended up with 12 staples across my belly button. The pain after surgery was bad for a day or 2. The doctor will tell you not to do anything for six weeks or so. I would sneak down in my basement before my wife would catch me and do some light exercises that didn't bother me. I was doing light overhead dumbbell extensions and light dumbbell curls the day i came home from surgery. It was probably stupid but i just wanted to see if i could still lift. I went back to the doctor six weeks later, he said i could start working out again. I've been back at the gym ever since training with Big Al and McFly and probably stronger than ever. I do get some slight pain here and there when i wear a lifting belt but I just ease up a little on the weight until i start feeling better. You should be fine just do what your doctor says and ease back into training. I did light dumbbell excersizes out of boredom because i really didnt feel any pain and was extremely careful.
Good Luck

ProteinJunkie
10-16-07, 10:37 am
Endoscopic inguinal hernia victim here…both sides taken care of in May of this year.

Although I am unsure why endoscopic would be falling out of favor in the medical world as mentioned by “carpediem300”, I’d recommend it if given the choice as your healing time is significantly less. It was recommended I take 2-4 weeks off, which I did, and started back with ease problem-free. The few weeks for healing to get back to 100% is so minimal in comparison to this life-style we live; rushing anything before you’re healed is impractical as far as I am concerned.

Best of luck,
PJ

Riesjs
10-16-07, 1:48 pm
took me around a month, it sucked, but that was back in 2000. Major improvememnts witht the surgery, should be back in no time!! rest brother!

Raiderbri
10-18-07, 8:36 pm
took me around a month, it sucked, but that was back in 2000. Major improvememnts witht the surgery, should be back in no time!! rest brother!

Thanks brothers for all the support..surgery Nov 20th.

Riesjs
10-19-07, 8:53 am
just remember to come back slowly. rest and recooperation is the most important.

carpediem300
11-28-07, 12:41 pm
Endoscopic inguinal hernia victim here…both sides taken care of in May of this year.

Although I am unsure why endoscopic would be falling out of favor in the medical world as mentioned by “carpediem300”, I’d recommend it if given the choice as your healing time is significantly less. It was recommended I take 2-4 weeks off, which I did, and started back with ease problem-free. The few weeks for healing to get back to 100% is so minimal in comparison to this life-style we live; rushing anything before you’re healed is impractical as far as I am concerned.

Best of luck,
PJ

There are apparently some studies that indicate higher recurrence rates for inguinals ... Something to do with weakness in the mesh fixation ... Anyway, take it FWIW ... I had an emergency appendectomry done endoscopically .... that turned out to be fantastic ...

Joe

sunny_max
07-27-09, 12:16 am
i dnt no if its the right place to post this but here goes...a funny thing happened to me today........the gym i workout at..everytime i wld do heavy deadlift or heavy leg press(by the way thnx to u guys i corercted my form on it and now i have no problem pressing 460lbs so thnx brothers) ....this older gentleman wld keep staring at me in this wierd way and it wld make me uncomfortable...and i ignored it cause i thought he was gay( no offence to no one) but today he came up and talked to me and said....boy if u gonnakeep pressing that heavy weight u gonna pull a muscle and cause a hernia.....i just wanted to know what guys think of that.........i mean i am not stupid i know what causes it and everythign but i just wanted an insight from u brothers.......

Muscleguy93
07-27-09, 12:24 am
uhhh... hes right. Press with bad form and guess what? your gonna have problems.lower the weight, a hurt ego is better then a hurt body. if you rlly think u know what ur doing then ignore them and continue...

Cstlfx
07-27-09, 12:26 am
You can if you have bad form. If you train your posterior and anterior chains properly (your "core") there shouldnt be a problem with going heavy. Just make sure to keep everything tight, have good form, and know when heavy is beyond stupid heavy.

I believe that guys thinking is in the same vein as other's thinking that squats are bad for your knees, deadlifts are horrible for your back, etc, etc.

There are many raw lifters out there that dont even lift with a belt. Yeah, hernias may happen, but if take care with your form and muscles, I think you'll avoid it.

whosnexttt
07-27-09, 12:28 am
i dnt no if its the right place to post this but here goes...a funny thing happened to me today........the gym i workout at..everytime i wld do heavy deadlift or heavy leg press(by the way thnx to u guys i corercted my form on it and now i have no problem pressing 460lbs so thnx brothers) ....this older gentleman wld keep staring at me in this wierd way and it wld make me uncomfortable...and i ignored it cause i thought he was gay( no offence to no one) but today he came up and talked to me and said....boy if u gonnakeep pressing that heavy weight u gonna pull a muscle and cause a hernia.....i just wanted to know what guys think of that.........i mean i am not stupid i know what causes it and everythign but i just wanted an insight from u brothers.......

well you were prolly using bad form, going heavy on the leg press will do nothing, lighten up the weight and make sure your knees are almost at your face, and go for high reps not low reps

but if that isnt the case and you are using good form, then tell that son of a bitch to fuck off

Firefist
07-27-09, 1:09 am
well you were prolly using bad form, going heavy on the leg press will do nothing, lighten up the weight and make sure your knees are almost at your face, and go for high reps not low reps

but if that isnt the case and you are using good form, then tell that son of a bitch to fuck off

damn homes, chill out.

if your form is right and everything, just smile and say, "i think ill be alright". no need for hostility bro. karma can be a bitch.

hernias are not fun. my friend had surgery on one and it sidelined him for months. Midsquat and you just feel that shit go ehhhhh.....I thought i got one a few months ago (just a pulled muscle), may have been the worst pain ive felt and it wasnt even a real hernia. Godawful....

Alk
07-27-09, 1:29 am
I believe that guys thinking is in the same vein as other's thinking that squats are bad for your knees, deadlifts are horrible for your back, etc, etc.

Either that...

or he hates the OP for some reason.

Or maybe he's just generally ignorant of the myriad of bb knowledge in the world atm.

sunny_max
07-27-09, 2:07 am
uhhh... hes right. Press with bad form and guess what? your gonna have problems.lower the weight, a hurt ego is better then a hurt body. if you rlly think u know what ur doing then ignore them and continue...

------------- I kinda have a no ego problems bro and I no I have worked on my form well enough to press that weight with no issues…but I no what u mean….i just wanted to no what u guys think…

You can if you have bad form. If you train your posterior and anterior chains properly (your "core") there shouldnt be a problem with going heavy. Just make sure to keep everything tight, have good form, and know when heavy is beyond stupid heavy.

There are many raw lifters out there that dont even lift with a belt. Yeah, hernias may happen, but if take care with your form and muscles, I think you'll avoid it.

----------------- yeah bro I no hernias happen that way and I work on my form all the time……for eg…I dnt mind doing 25 reps with a 35lb dumbbell when a smaller guy right beside me is busting his ass to get one rep with a 50……and all my lifts are raw…I have never used a belt still…….thnx for the info buddy….

--------------haha will tell him that next time …….

hernias are not fun. my friend had surgery on one and it sidelined him for months. Midsquat and you just feel that shit go ehhhhh.....I thought i got one a few months ago (just a pulled muscle), may have been the worst pain ive felt and it wasnt even a real hernia. Godawful....

-------------lol yeah bro I pulled a muscle in my abdomen like a year ago and it was the worst pain ever thank god it was not a hernia but since then I have been working on my core strengthening exercises a lot…

Either that...

or he hates the OP for some reason.

Or maybe he's just generally ignorant of the myriad of bb knowledge in the world atm.

------------- maybe …u never know…I just wanted to see what u guys gotta say thnx guys……

sunny_max
07-27-09, 2:07 am
sorry i cant figure out the multi quote thingy to work......

Firefist
07-27-09, 2:54 am

haha its cool, just press mutliquote on all the ones you want to quote, and then press quote on any of them and they will all show up.

pretty sure thats how it goes.

peace.

sunny_max
07-27-09, 2:57 am
haha its cool, just press mutliquote on all the ones you want to quote, and then press quote on any of them and they will all show up.

pretty sure thats how it goes.

peace.

ha shit man it was easy...thnx bro......

J Wong
07-27-09, 9:50 am
This reminds me of when I am doing deadlifts, and a random guy usually comes up and tells me "My back is breaking just watching you do that".

MrMonday
07-27-09, 10:21 am
This reminds me of when I am doing deadlifts, and a random guy usually comes up and tells me "My back is breaking just watching you do that".

I have thought this many many times while watching people deadlift with really bad form. Might want to look into that.

Cstlfx
07-27-09, 11:57 am

for future reference just hit multiquote on all of the posts you'd like, then hit reply.

McFly
07-27-09, 2:15 pm
it can happen, even with good form....just train smart and safe....

Fury317
07-27-09, 2:22 pm
it can happen, even with good form....just train smart and safe....

YUP. Ive had two. A hernia is just a weakening in the abdominal wall, so lifting will obviously make that worse with all the pressure youre exerting. A lot times hernias are genetic and are there since birth.

Be careful, if you feel pain STOP dont be a dumbass and think youre "hardcore" becuase you lift through pain. Listen to your body. If everything feels good, go for it and forget what everyone else says.

t_mh
07-27-09, 4:52 pm
Is there really that much form involved in a leg press?

sunny_max
07-27-09, 10:38 pm

i din thought so too until i started messing up on my form...i even started a thread for it...but with yall help i figured out and am pressing 460lbs with good form.....

YUP. Ive had two. A hernia is just a weakening in the abdominal wall, so lifting will obviously make that worse with all the pressure youre exerting. A lot times hernias are genetic and are there since birth.

Be careful, if you feel pain STOP dont be a dumbass and think youre "hardcore" becuase you lift through pain. Listen to your body. If everything feels good, go for it and forget what everyone else says.

yeah i no what u mean bro...train smart........

for future reference just hit multiquote on all of the posts you'd like, then hit reply.

hah got it thnx bro

BigChrisF
07-28-09, 12:42 pm
A hernia is a genetic weakness of a particular area (depending on where it comes through). You will either be lucky enough to get one or you won't. The weight you use won't cause it if you don't already have the weak area. If you get one, get it fixed and specifically ask the doctor to sew in the mesh to make it stronger.

As for a muscle strain, those happen so there is no sense worrying about it.

McFly
07-28-09, 12:46 pm

yes, i've seen a lot of people hurt their lower back on the leg press....

J Wong
07-28-09, 2:00 pm
yes, i've seen a lot of people hurt their lower back on the leg press....

I've seen myself hurt my lower back on the leg press :)

it sucks

sunny_max
07-28-09, 7:33 pm
A hernia is a genetic weakness of a particular area (depending on where it comes through). You will either be lucky enough to get one or you won't. The weight you use won't cause it if you don't already have the weak area. If you get one, get it fixed and specifically ask the doctor to sew in the mesh to make it stronger.

As for a muscle strain, those happen so there is no sense worrying about it.

exactly thats what i found out when i googled it...cause i wld sometimes get muscle strain and i was like wtf i got hernia...haha.......so i got checked up and it was not.....doc told me the exact same thing that ur saying now......i din no about the sewing in the mesh up part though..........this was like a year ago......but since that man was telling me about it i thought i wld ask what u guys have to say on it..........since then i have been concentrating on exercises like plank and hypers to strengthen my core.......

sunny_max
07-28-09, 7:40 pm
I've seen myself hurt my lower back on the leg press :)

it sucks

me too...din quite hurt it but it was like hella sore all the time...just had to work on my form is all.......i was just trying to be a hardcore ass...which i learned later was the wrong approach........the way i see it is i learned that before i hurt myself haha

g_mau18
01-28-10, 11:40 pm
I know this is impossible to diagnose over the net, but I have never had a hernia before and Im scared. Whenever I walk I feel a small nagging pain right where my left thigh meets my groin. It only hurts when I take a step on my left foot. Could someone Tell me their hernia stories and what to do besides taking it easy. A hernia could ruin my life right now!

TigerAce01
01-28-10, 11:49 pm
You just stated it's impossible to diagnose a hernia over the internet...and none of us are even close to being doctors...see a doctor. It could be a number of things, but see a doctor.

-Ace

g_mau18
01-29-10, 12:09 am
I know...I was asking for people's experiances with hernia's.

sodapop
01-29-10, 12:20 am
Regardless, you still need to see a doctor ASAP. If you live on base, don't you have free healthcare and such? I'm guessing you don't want anyone finding out that you (could) have a hernia? Not worth the risk, man.

g_mau18
01-29-10, 1:49 am
hahaha of course I have called the doctor...I'm asking for people's experiances with hernia's.

DanF
01-30-10, 9:36 am
It could be a adductor problem which needs stretching/strengthening....But a Dr is the best idea to be absolutely sure

Did it happen when you were deep squatting?

g_mau18
01-30-10, 12:57 pm
Just got out the doctors...said I had a 70% chance of inguinal hernia. I need to come back on a weekend for more analysis. I was in an event trying to dl 700 pounds fucking stupid. I'm so scared of losing muscle. All I can do is keep up the diet. Any hernia experiances or comeback stories out there to keep my spirits high?

williams_888
02-04-10, 8:10 pm
Sup fellas, just looking to gain some info about anyones experience with having a hernia.

How did you get it taken care of? Surgery or your tried an Eastern medicine approach.

I have what I believe is a hiatus hernia, been to the MD, so dont tell me to see a doctor. I want to hear your stories. And if you had surgery, how was the recovery time?

Joe J
05-16-12, 5:30 am
What experiences do any of you have with hernias?

I woke up yesterday with some pain in the right side of my groin, went to the doc today and was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia, that fucking sucks.

The interesting thing was that the doc said that it's common misconception that heavy lifting is a primary cause of hernia, and it fact is is people that are sedentary for long periods of time that are most likely to suffer. He said if the pain doesn't subside in 2 weeks, then I will have to be operated on.

I'd like to know how any of you guys have dealt with the pain/discomfort? Have you taken time off lifting etc?

Cheers,
Joe.

BigChrisF
05-16-12, 11:26 pm
What experiences do any of you have with hernias?

I woke up yesterday with some pain in the right side of my groin, went to the doc today and was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia, that fucking sucks.

The interesting thing was that the doc said that it's common misconception that heavy lifting is a primary cause of hernia, and it fact is is people that are sedentary for long periods of time that are most likely to suffer. He said if the pain doesn't subside in 2 weeks, then I will have to be operated on.

I'd like to know how any of you guys have dealt with the pain/discomfort? Have you taken time off lifting etc?

Cheers,
Joe.

A hernia is a genetically disposed weak spot in your abdominal wall. It can be brought on by heavy lifting, but if you don't already have the weak area, it is unlikely that you will get one. If you intend to keep on lifting, just get the surgery with the mylar mesh reinforcement.

And yes it is very common in the elderly population, particularly those that are sedentary. Without the activity people have, the tissue will thin with time and become weak. Obviously that is not the case with you.

If Machine cruises through here, I believe he said he has had 4 of them.