PDA

View Full Version : Training FAQ #3: What are the most important exercises to focus on?

Animal Rep
05-25-07, 4:38 pm
Compound or multi-joint movements using free weights are those that will recruit the most muscle groups and accelerate muscular growth. These compound movements include the classics such as squats, leg presses, deadlifts, rows, bench presses, military presses, etc. These movements, and others like it, are the basics for a reason--they've been proven in the trenches. And you can't get big without the basics.

ironshaolin
05-25-07, 4:50 pm
don't forget your clean and jerk.

feelthepain12
05-26-07, 5:10 pm
Snatches and lunges are great muscle builders too.

Hoffdogg
08-15-07, 6:01 pm
What days are best for Deadlifts? Leg day or Back? if on leg day, do you do both squats and deads? or alternate work outs.

brandonA
08-15-07, 6:14 pm
What days are best for Deadlifts? Leg day or Back? if on leg day, do you do both squats and deads? or alternate work outs.

If you are going heavy, do not do squats and deads on the same day, that is murder on the lower back....I do squats on monday and deads on friday, as many days in between as I can get....if you have to do them on the same day, i would alternate them every week

-B

Hoffdogg
08-15-07, 6:29 pm
If you are going heavy, do not do squats and deads on the same day, that is murder on the lower back....I do squats on monday and deads on friday, as many days in between as I can get....if you have to do them on the same day, i would alternate them every week

-B
Very cool...thanks!!

HOLLYWOOD2
08-21-07, 12:12 am
dead lift is most suitable with back day....bottom line

GK37
11-11-07, 10:48 pm
mix in some all-over lifts like power cleans, hang cleans, clean and press, Olympic lifts

Polish Prince
02-13-08, 2:02 pm
i believe the power clean and jerk and what not are great lifts, but i thought this thread was talking about every day basic movements. not the more advanced olympic lifts.

just my personal opinion, i'm not taking anything away because they are indeed amazing lifts!

monster99
04-22-08, 5:34 pm
Basics are the best. But it wouldn't hurt to do some variations to provide a "different" stimulus. Bent-over rows for example is one of the best exercises for the lats and rhomboids, but doing an underhand grip wouldn't hurt.

shizz702
05-23-08, 3:24 pm
Solid advice here in this thread. Compound, free weight movements is where the money is!

RenegadeRows
05-24-08, 5:11 pm

Personally I have been getting the best of both worlds. How?
I start the week out with Back (on monday) with:
Barbell rows
Cable rows
Inverted Barbell rows
lat pulldown wide
inverted closegrip pulldown
hyperextensions with 35-40lb dbs in either hand (this works out the lower back and opens it up for the next day, LEG DAY)

follow your back workout with leg day (on tuesday)
leg press
leg exts
leg curl
hack squats
5 sets of stiff leg deads and 4-5sets of regular deads.

There...legs and back totally annilated and have the remainder of the week to heal up. :)
This routine gave me some explosive growth in both back and hammie area.

SA-Hulk
07-08-08, 6:05 am
Compounds are essential all year round. They are your major mass gainers. You can't shift as much iron on a fly as you can a press!
But those isolated movements are needed for shaping come contest time.
Everything in its right time and place.

diesel1976
10-21-08, 8:24 pm
Compound or multi-joint movements using free weights are those that will recruit the most muscle groups and accelerate muscular growth. These compound movements include the classics such as squats, leg presses, deadlifts, rows, bench presses, military presses, etc. These movements, and others like it, are the basics for a reason--they've been proven in the trenches. And you can't get big without the basics.

Amen to this reply, simple and true dat!

mritter3
10-21-08, 8:28 pm
good post, those are solid exercises, always remember the basics

Bombreezey
08-10-09, 11:13 pm
The must important exercises to work on r like the major muscle groups like chest (bench, and incline) ,deadlift and squat are prob more or less the 3 MAJOR workout to focus on because they are good mass builders with the right numbers.. like 10/8/6 rep sets or maybe even add a 4 rep set in there. This is arguable but this is what I think

JRunez
10-01-09, 11:29 pm
i have a question, are there any alternatives for deadlifts and squats? i injured my back and had a bad surgery over a year ago, i just started to lift going on 4 weeks now but i cant put to much pressure on my lower back area due to my injury. any help thanks!

jandirigma
04-10-10, 10:57 am
Deadlift for life! It's both push and pull. Pull with your torso and press up with the legs. You work virtually every muscle, not to mention being a great challenge for core muscles.

jandirigma
04-10-10, 11:00 am
i have a question, are there any alternatives for deadlifts and squats? i injured my back and had a bad surgery over a year ago, i just started to lift going on 4 weeks now but i cant put to much pressure on my lower back area due to my injury. any help thanks!

Perhaps if your gym had a trap bar to do your your squats, that'd take a load off your back and shoulders. If not, try dumbells as an alternative. You might also be comfier on the leg press instead.

rotaryfan
06-03-10, 12:44 am
ive got a question about hand position for barbell rows. Are either overhand or underhand superior to the other and why? ive tried both and find that i get a better middle back pump with underhand, and less pump with overhand, but with both hand positions my upper back always feels fried the next day. Any wisdom would be appreciated. thanks.

C.Coronato
06-03-10, 9:31 am
I think its personal preference. I use underhand narrow grip, and my arms are right at my side pulling into my stomach ..

d1sc1ple
09-14-10, 4:44 pm

I used to do Lower Back with Legs and would do Full Deads, Then I started doing Partial Deads on Back days to really focus on my back and limit my glutes and Hams involvement. Try one way and if you don't like the results alter your schedule, no one will no how you react to certain trining splits better than you.

My_Way_of_Life
11-02-10, 12:34 am
Hey fellas, my tricep workout has been sort of dull lately, basically a lot of pushdowns and and extensions. Does anyone know some good mass exercises i can incorporate into my workouts? Thanks

C.Coronato
11-03-10, 9:39 am
Hey fellas, my tricep workout has been sort of dull lately, basically a lot of pushdowns and and extensions. Does anyone know some good mass exercises i can incorporate into my workouts? Thanks

I like to do dips, close grip bench press, french press, ect.

felipelpr
11-03-10, 7:13 pm
you have to focus on what your body needs.

d1sc1ple
11-10-10, 12:06 am

You need to do Compound movements, Close grip Bench Presses, Skull Crushers, Dips or Bench Dips etc. Those will really help put on some mass especially if you aren't used to doing them. Good Luck

JMASS
12-17-15, 12:03 pm
Squat, bench, deadlift. They are the big 3 and recruit the most overall musculature and will get you bigger and stronger than any other exercises. Always multi joint movements or variations of the big 3.

IRN-NML
08-15-16, 8:14 pm
You need to do Compound movements, Close grip Bench Presses, Skull Crushers, Dips or Bench Dips etc. Those will really help put on some mass especially if you aren't used to doing them. Good Luck

Yes, make sure the dips are for tris & not chest; look for vids on the differences. Skull crushers; don't confuse them with a pullover (ez curl bar). Warm up the tris any sudden sharp pain in inner elbow; back off / ease up. Once you get that, it; takes a long time to go away.

physlift314
08-16-16, 1:55 pm
Without a doubt, the compound movements mentioned initially are important. I would say, a good second place is any lift that you suck at. If you're good on squats but suck at front squats, try incorporating those into your training.