PDA

View Full Version : Training FAQ #5: What is the most basic of the bodybuilding routines?

Animal Rep
05-25-07, 4:40 pm
A basic but intense three day a week split would be divided into push, pull and legs. In such a scenario you would break your body down into a “push” day: chest, delts, tris; a “pull” day: back and bis and a “leg” day: quads, hams and calves. This routine would allow for maximum recovery over the course of four weekly off days and seven rest days between training sessions for entire body regions.

king1
07-15-07, 4:18 pm
I say pull push legs, just swithced pull and push so i dont deadlift and squat next to eachother.............

bigpunisher
09-10-07, 12:22 am
the most basic of bodybuilding routines would be doing a different major muscle group each day. this allows you to pin point each muscle better. you should do about 5-7 exercises for each muscle.

Shamus11B
06-22-09, 5:14 am
the most basic of bodybuilding routines would be doing a different major muscle group each day. this allows you to pin point each muscle better. you should do about 5-7 exercises for each muscle.

I dont agree with this, a beginning bodybuilder should not be doing so man individual exercises per muscle group. Big compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead press are the ticket for beginnners. I understand the advantages to doing each individual muscle group but maximun rest as stated above is key to growth.

Pdubs
01-29-10, 5:36 pm
A basic but intense three day a week split would be divided into push, pull and legs. In such a scenario you would break your body down into a “push” day: chest, delts, tris; a “pull” day: back and bis and a “leg” day: quads, hams and calves. This routine would allow for maximum recovery over the course of four weekly off days and seven rest days between training sessions for entire body regions.

This sounds just what im after as a beginner. Any advice i can get on how many exercises per bodypart and regards sets/reps would be much appreciated. I want my sessions to be as intense as possible but as a newbie i am trying to be cautious of overtraining as a result of over enthusiasm.

zbrewha863
04-19-10, 9:52 am
This sounds just what im after as a beginner. Any advice i can get on how many exercises per bodypart and regards sets/reps would be much appreciated. I want my sessions to be as intense as possible but as a newbie i am trying to be cautious of overtraining as a result of over enthusiasm.

You shouldn't be worried so much about overtraining when you first start, b/c you will be getting incredible gains for the first few months. It is actually the opposite, you should use this period to try to make as many gains as you possibly can.

You should be worried about maintaining proper form, getting rest, and eating right. Beginners who injure themselves usually slack on one or more of these three areas.

For instance, Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength program (a good beginner's program) has you squatting three times a week, and beginners have great results.

That being said, as someone said earlier (or maybe in another thread) your bread and butter at this point is compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench, cleans, etc.). Don't worry about isolating specific body parts until you really plateau from a good compound workout plan. Here's a good starting plan that I basically followed w/ good gains:

Squats
Bench Presses
Bent-Over Rows
Overhead Barbell Presses
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Barbell Curls
Calf Raises

This is your workout. You do it three times a week as follows -- one heavy day, one medium day (10% less weight), one light day (20% less weight). Four sets of everything -- a warmup set (1/4 weight), a medium set (1/2 weight), and 2 full sets. Increase your reps at least one every week, then every fifth week you increase the weight 10-20% and start the cycle again. Example:

Week 1

Squats - 4 sets of 5 reps
Bench Presses - 4 sets of 5 reps
Bent-Over Rows - 4 sets of 5 reps
Overhead Barbell Presses - 4 sets of 5 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - 4 sets of 5 reps
Barbell Curls - 4 sets of 5 reps
Calf Raises - 4 sets of 15 reps

Week 2

Squats - 4 sets of 6 reps
Bench Presses - 4 sets of 6 reps
Bent-Over Rows - 4 sets of 6 reps
Overhead Barbell Presses - 4 sets of 6 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts - 4 sets of 6 reps
Barbell Curls - 4 sets of 6 reps
Calf Raises - 4 sets of 16 reps

etc. By Week 5 you would drop back to Week 1 rep levels, but w/ heavier weight. Worked well for me.

Eric210
09-14-10, 7:34 pm
pull, push, legs I'd say for a beginner bodybuilder, probably 3 sets of 10-15 for the main lift and 2 sets of 10-15 for the supp lifts

deadlift, pullups, lat pulldown, Tbar row, curls

Bench, flyes, military press, DB overhead press, tricep work

squat, hamstring curls, leg extensions, side bends

idk something like that set up for the skinny beginner would be decent

Anthony.C
11-05-10, 11:51 am
pull, push, legs I'd say for a beginner bodybuilder, probably 3 sets of 10-15 for the main lift and 2 sets of 10-15 for the supp lifts

deadlift, pullups, lat pulldown, Tbar row, curls

Bench, flyes, military press, DB overhead press, tricep work

squat, hamstring curls, leg extensions, side bends

idk something like that set up for the skinny beginner would be decent

10-15 reps for the main lifts? Bad idea IMO. I like keeping my compound lits heavy as I can get with proper form and low reps 4-6 rep range.

Eric210
02-23-11, 2:38 pm
10-15 reps for the main lifts? Bad idea IMO. I like keeping my compound lits heavy as I can get with proper form and low reps 4-6 rep range.

try doing a 4x10 for bench and keep the weight heavy enough so by set 2 or 3 you're barely finishing each set after that. Then increase weight when you feel you need to, by doing this i managed to increase my bench press a shitload and gain a lot of size, but everyone is different and responds differently, and keeping it heavy is good, i like to switch it up a lot so i dont adapt.

good luck with your training

Carrnage
03-12-11, 6:04 pm

Bad Idea? Maybe for your mindset.

The majority of us want size, so 10-20 reps is perfect. Save the 4-6 reps for photoshoots or if your a powerlifter.

Jay Nera
07-28-14, 9:21 pm
Bad Idea? Maybe for your mindset.

The majority of us want size, so 10-20 reps is perfect. Save the 4-6 reps for photoshoots or if your a powerlifter.

I agree. Time under tension and motor unit recruitment are going to build muscle. So moving weights that aren't too easy for longer periods of time. You can get a pretty good build doing 4-6 reps, I think that I have a good physique as a powerlifter who rarely goes above 10 reps if ever…. but if I wanted to really step up my aesthetics, one of the first things I would do is up my rep range to keep my muscles working longer… Jay Cutler lifts light weights for tons of reps… Ronnie lifted heavy yes…but he still did A TON of volume.

Jay Nera
07-28-14, 9:24 pm
I agree. Time under tension and motor unit recruitment are going to build muscle. So moving weights that aren't too easy for longer periods of time. You can get a pretty good build doing 4-6 reps, I think that I have a good physique as a powerlifter who rarely goes above 10 reps if ever…. but if I wanted to really step up my aesthetics, one of the first things I would do is up my rep range to keep my muscles working longer… Jay Cutler lifts light weights for tons of reps… Ronnie lifted heavy yes…but he still did A TON of volume.

I forgot to add.

I really like Mike Mentzers concepts along with DC training. I think they are pretty solid and not monotonous as some programs might be.