PDA

View Full Version : Diet FAQ #1: How much protein should I consume per day?

Animal Rep
05-25-07, 4:44 pm
As a general rule, you should shoot for about 1 to 1.5 g of protein per lb of bodyweight if looking to gain lean mass. A dieting bodybuilder must often exceed these amounts in order to reach their daily caloric requirement when carbohydrates and fats are greatly restricted. This is a general rule, so feel free to experiment and see what works best for you.

bobbymart
10-10-07, 7:10 pm
How many grams of protien can the body digest in one sitting???

ProteinJunkie
10-10-07, 7:29 pm
Give this link a read:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=6110&highlight=protein+sitting

Juggernaught
01-26-08, 3:12 pm
Hey, I tried checking out the link but it didn't work.. I was just wondering the same thing, if there was a limited amount of protein you can absorb in one sitting and if so how much it roughly is and how long you should wait before eating it again.. I'm assuming it is based on your body weight if it matters at all. I was looking at some protein by Weider and it says that the powder combined with 6 cups of milk it has 4000 calories which sounds ridiculous.. I would think you would just dump it all out. But any help I can get with this I appreciate. I'm trying to bulk so the more calories I can get it once, the better.

pmug0000
01-26-08, 6:08 pm
Hey, I tried checking out the link but it didn't work.. I was just wondering the same thing, if there was a limited amount of protein you can absorb in one sitting and if so how much it roughly is and how long you should wait before eating it again.. I'm assuming it is based on your body weight if it matters at all. I was looking at some protein by Weider and it says that the powder combined with 6 cups of milk it has 4000 calories which sounds ridiculous.. I would think you would just dump it all out. But any help I can get with this I appreciate. I'm trying to bulk so the more calories I can get it once, the better.

If you're bulking then don't worry about the exact amounts of protein you digest at one time. Go for about 2g protein per pound of bodyweight, split up relatively evenly in each meal.
I'm not really sure what to say about the 4000 calorie shake. 6 Cups of milk and 4000 calories seems like a lot to slam down at one time, but for some people this is what it takes. It's up to you on this one - it's not gonna kill you, so if you want to try it out go for it.

Juggernaught
01-26-08, 6:27 pm
Alright, Thanks alot man.. Yeah, I think I'll try it.. I've been going for 1.5 grams x Bodyweight so I'll up it a little..

simpleguy
01-27-08, 3:50 am

If you're bulking then don't worry about the exact amounts of protein you digest at one time. Go for about 2g protein per pound of bodyweight, split up relatively evenly in each meal.
I'm not really sure what to say about the 4000 calorie shake. 6 Cups of milk and 4000 calories seems like a lot to slam down at one time, but for some people this is what it takes. It's up to you on this one - it's not gonna kill you, so if you want to try it out go for it.

Alright, Thanks alot man.. Yeah, I think I'll try it.. I've been going for 1.5 grams x Bodyweight so I'll up it a little..

alright... 4000 calories at one sitting will go straight into your toilet (or fat tissue)

think about it... some of us need 4000 cals a day to grow... others 5000, others even more

but your body will never absorb that much (not even half of it) in one sitting, it's overkill

split up your 4000, 5000 or 6000 cals through 6 meals a day for waaaay better results

Juggernaught
01-27-08, 11:47 am
Yeah, thats what I plan on doing.. I'm gonna make the shake in the morning and drink it throughout the day, that way, by night, I'll know I've had the 4000 calories, not to mention the food I"ll be eating all day.. Maybe drink 2 cups of it every 4 hours, see how it goes. Hopefully it works out. Thanks..

pmug0000
01-27-08, 12:03 pm
Yeah, thats what I plan on doing.. I'm gonna make the shake in the morning and drink it throughout the day, that way, by night, I'll know I've had the 4000 calories, not to mention the food I"ll be eating all day.. Maybe drink 2 cups of it every 4 hours, see how it goes. Hopefully it works out. Thanks..

That's one way to do it, but I recommend that whenever possible opt for whole foods over shakes.
But shakes are a good way to get some extra calories quickly, in-between meals. Try to eat a meal every couple hours, and definitely do not get in the mindset that a shake (even if it has a lot of calories) is a replacement for a meal. Think of it more as a filler between meals.

redmanPH
05-16-08, 10:50 am
hey i'm sorry for bringing a thread back from the dead, but i was just wondering how do you exactly measure your protein (or even fat and carbs) intake throughout the day. i know it prolly sounds a really stupid question, but i dunno how to "balance" my food if i dunno how to measure the intake. i know it's like on the nutrition labels of canned food, but how will you know if you're eating fresh food?

hope i'm making sense there. thanks for any reply

simpleguy
05-16-08, 1:56 pm
hey i'm sorry for bringing a thread back from the dead, but i was just wondering how do you exactly measure your protein (or even fat and carbs) intake throughout the day. i know it prolly sounds a really stupid question, but i dunno how to "balance" my food if i dunno how to measure the intake. i know it's like on the nutrition labels of canned food, but how will you know if you're eating fresh food?

hope i'm making sense there. thanks for any reply

most people here use fitday.com, I use calorieking.com

there are a lot sites

FourThirty
05-24-08, 10:24 am
I use fitday. Works great.

Bull26187
07-18-08, 12:34 pm
I am 280lbs right now, and shreddin. I do have quite a bit to lose. My lean mass is said to be around 235. Since I am dieting should I consume 1.5-2g of protein for how much I weigh the 280lbs, or my lean body mass? Like everyone I am trying to preserve as much muscle mass as I can.

simpleguy
07-18-08, 12:48 pm
I am 280lbs right now, and shreddin. I do have quite a bit to lose. My lean mass is said to be around 235. Since I am dieting should I consume 1.5-2g of protein for how much I weigh the 280lbs, or my lean body mass? Like everyone I am trying to preserve as much muscle mass as I can.

I think 1.5-2 gr of protein per lean body mass is ok...

Chubby
08-15-08, 12:13 am
with that said, one gram of protien produces 4 calories, carbs=4 calories, fat=9calories, so if your ingesting 4000 calories worth of protein in one sitting, I don't think the body will be expelling your calories, rather it turns it into stored energy, ie. adipose tissue, ie, Fat...with that said, I just read on Yahoo news that olypian swimmer Shaun Phelps takes in 12K calories A DAY! & he isn't picky about what he eats...he eats whatever he wants, & goes from there, & if you look at him, he has no fat, but he's not large either...so that tells you he's doing MASS cardio...

machineman
08-26-08, 11:16 am
Sorry, but a majority people cannot eat like Michael Phelps and not gain weight...I swam competitvely for 12 years...I usually took 1 week off during the summer and that was it.....the other 51 weeks out of the year, I was in the pool 6 days a week and in the gym 3 or 4 days a week. I used to be able to eat similar to what he does, but I do not even come close to burning those kind of calories......not many people do.

simpleguy
08-26-08, 11:24 am
Sorry, but a majority people cannot eat like Michael Phelps and not gain weight...I swam competitvely for 12 years...I usually took 1 week off during the summer and that was it.....the other 51 weeks out of the year, I was in the pool 6 days a week and in the gym 3 or 4 days a week. I used to be able to eat similar to what he does, but I do not even come close to burning those kind of calories......not many people do.

true that, I agree

toothpicklegs
06-13-09, 5:46 pm

Well are you sure you're not looking at the kjoules?
some foods and supplements show the energy ammount in both kcalories and kjoules, and a joule is alot less than a calorie...kind of like when you count with a "mil" and an english "mile" in terms of distances...

tmaximus89
06-16-09, 4:07 am
Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person, 92 grams.

The Epidemic
08-05-09, 6:49 pm
1000g a day...kai green style

1skinnyassedrunt
09-06-09, 7:30 pm
I did some research on youtube and a hardgainer/ectomorph whatever you wanna call it said that to bulk up he found it easier to eat enough protein for the weight he wanted to be at, but to keep the gram per lb of bodyweight. So say im 140lbs, and I wanna be 200 lbs I should shoot for 200g of protein a day. Sound ok?

Warsaw
09-06-09, 7:57 pm
It's suggested for someone active to consume 1.2->1.8 g of protein per Kg of weight; this is also pending on supply and demand of your work outs i.e. frequency/intensity. You need more than just protein to gain weight. How often do you eat?

1skinnyassedrunt
09-09-09, 6:43 pm
It's suggested for someone active to consume 1.2->1.8 g of protein per Kg of weight; this is also pending on supply and demand of your work outs i.e. frequency/intensity. You need more than just protein to gain weight. How often do you eat?

I eat 3/4 whole food meals a day and 2/3 snacks/shakes. depending on the length of time im awake.

lacrosse19
11-20-09, 4:54 pm
This thread looks like kind of dead but thought I'd ask anyway. i keep getting different answers but I was wondering on average how much protein is in chicken breast, say 10 oz? Thanks in advance.
Matt

Kryptonite
11-22-09, 6:21 pm
This thread looks like kind of dead but thought I'd ask anyway. i keep getting different answers but I was wondering on average how much protein is in chicken breast, say 10 oz? Thanks in advance.
Matt

It's 150 calories and 28g of protein for every 4 oz chicken breast, assuming you trimmed the breast of all visible fat. I suggest a serving size of 8 oz.

christopher
05-04-10, 8:34 am
People's protein needs depend on their age, size, and daily activities.The standard method used by nutritionists to calculate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum required. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person, 92 grams.

kewin
07-12-10, 4:49 am
Humans may alter their usual eating habits for many reasons, including weight loss, disease prevention or treatment, removing toxins from the body, or to achieve a general improvement in physical and mental health. Others adopt special diets for religious reasons. In the case of some vegetarians and vegans, dietary changes are made out of ethical concerns for the rights of animals.

annyjoseph
07-20-10, 7:44 am
You should eat around 90 grams of protein per day. Proteins are made of small unit know as amino acid.
This amino acid you will get from animals products such as eggs, meat,fish and also from diary products.

jackmartinn55
07-27-10, 10:43 am
Protein is a best for body. Per day 40-70 grams protein depending on your gender, age and situation. There are so many food item from which you can get protein. Like eggs, chicken etc.. You can also drink protein powder with milk. If you want to gain your muscles than you need 150-170 gm protein per day.

scarletunderwear
11-20-10, 7:53 pm
hey, i was wonderin if u knew much about the comparative quality of mince/steak/chicken/fish in terms of protein, - i eat mostly mince - is this bad?
It's 150 calories and 28g of protein for every 4 oz chicken breast, assuming you trimmed the breast of all visible fat. I suggest a serving size of 8 oz.

Kevin Marshall
12-06-10, 6:39 pm
Known as the components of the body, proteins play an important role in repairing the loss that occurs due to wear. Such as enzymes and hormones, which carry out a wide range of metabolic functions in the body, such as antibodies, help your body fight infections. Protein is essential for all life processes and carry out a wide range of functions for excellence to sustain life. Therefore, proteins are one of the most important nutrients required by the body and must be consumed in adequate amounts in your daily diet.

carbojacob
12-14-10, 1:06 pm
Your body needs protein every day to repair and construction, and other important body tissues of the muscles. Protein allows your body's hormones, which create the best health needs, and make the process for the metabolism and digestive enzymes needed.

ontheEDGE
12-14-10, 6:10 pm
Is it me or is something fishy going on in this thread. I'm not sure what just all the new posters having a conversation with themselves. I could be wrong if so I'm sorry, just theres been some trolling lately and I'm just sayin...

ROYALSUICIDE
12-16-10, 7:21 pm
224 is my lean mass times 1.5g of protein is 336g of protein per day. Manageable, time to get started.

scarletunderwear
05-24-11, 9:04 am

there are a lot sites

hey, just checked out these sites.....seems great but how the heck is calorieking gonna give me a diet i can use when they think im obese!

Auslifter
08-12-13, 11:36 pm

there are a lot sites

There is also myfitnesspal, its an app for iphone

Wrath
12-04-13, 10:16 am
I shoot for at least 50 grams per meal. And eat a it 6-7 meals a day

nickstrm
08-25-16, 6:42 am
Hi Guys,

How can I accurately calculate my daily calorie needs?

I want to start bulking.

Regards
Nick

Tyler Roy
08-26-16, 9:16 am
Hi Guys,

How can I accurately calculate my daily calorie needs?

I want to start bulking.

Regards
Nick

Myfitnesspal is pretty easy to use. Download it to your phone.

Rex
06-17-17, 1:22 pm
I shoot for at least 50 grams per meal. And eat a it 6-7 meals a day

7 meals a day of 7gr protein per day. All real food

Rex
06-17-17, 7:07 pm
7 meals a day of 7gr protein per day. All real food

That being said, if you ask me a good start for everyone is 1.5g per pound of bodyweight and then take it from there according to your progress...

LayzieBone085
06-17-17, 7:27 pm
A good read on this...

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0174-y

1) There is a multitude of diet types and eating styles, whereby numerous subtypes fall under each major dietary archetype.

2) All body composition assessment methods have strengths and limitations.

3) Diets primarily focused on fat loss are driven by a sustained caloric deficit. The higher the baseline body fat level, the more aggressively the caloric deficit may be imposed. Slower rates of weight loss can better preserve lean mass (LM) in leaner subjects.

4) Diets focused primarily on accruing LM are driven by a sustained caloric surplus to facilitate anabolic processes and support increasing resistance-training demands. The composition and magnitude of the surplus, as well as training status of the subjects can influence the nature of the gains.

5) A wide range of dietary approaches (low-fat to low-carbohydrate/ketogenic, and all points between) can be similarly effective for improving body composition.

6) Increasing dietary protein to levels significantly beyond current recommendations for athletic populations may result in improved body composition. Higher protein intakes (2.3–3.1 g/kg FFM) may be required to maximize muscle retention in lean, resistance-trained subjects under hypocaloric conditions. Emerging research on very high protein intakes (>3 g/kg) has demonstrated that the known thermic, satiating, and LM-preserving effects of dietary protein might be amplified in resistance-training subjects.

7) The collective body of intermittent caloric restriction research demonstrates no significant advantage over daily caloric restriction for improving body composition.

8) The long-term success of a diet depends upon compliance and suppression or circumvention of mitigating factors such as adaptive thermogenesis.

9) There is a paucity of research on women and older populations, as well as a wide range of untapped permutations of feeding frequency and macronutrient distribution at various energetic balances combined with training. Behavioral and lifestyle modification strategies are still poorly researched areas of weight management.