PDA

View Full Version : Diet FAQ #5: How do I gain weight and do it right?

Animal Rep
05-25-07, 4:49 pm
Gaining weight properly is not a matter of gorging yourself on as much food as possible, throwing aside all concern for the quality of the food you’re consuming. Instead, aiming for 1 to 2g of protein per lb of bodyweight, bump up your daily overall calories by 500 until you begin to gain weight at a clip of 1 to 2 lbs per week. The other critical factors here are frequent feedings, consuming nutrient dense, protein rich whole foods every 2-3 hrs and food choice—selecting complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, lean protein and fruits and vegetables loaded with vitamins and antioxidants as the backbone of your nutrition plan.

david87
10-17-07, 4:06 am
I know from my self experiences that the best way to gain weight is too eat clean and like 2 or 3 times week have some cheat food like a cheeseburger or a kfc meal but not fatty.thats how igained 25 lbs. in 6 months

jmt92
10-21-07, 11:19 am
Now unlike the above poster I find the only way I gain weight is to contradict the rep and eat everything in sight.Whenever I'm hungry I just eat.Now everything I eat has a high protein content yes but I don't neccasarily pay atention to the fat of it as long as it isn't real high in the sats and dont have any trans fats.Alot of meat and alot of carbs and alot of calories and as long as it has all that I dont pay no mind to the fat and I gain weight quickly and with minimal excess fat gain.

B.C.
10-23-07, 1:02 pm
Now unlike the above poster I find the only way I gain weight is to contradict the rep and eat everything in sight.Whenever I'm hungry I just eat.Now everything I eat has a high protein content yes but I don't neccasarily pay atention to the fat of it as long as it isn't real high in the sats and dont have any trans fats.Alot of meat and alot of carbs and alot of calories and as long as it has all that I dont pay no mind to the fat and I gain weight quickly and with minimal excess fat gain.

That's because you're 14 dude. Keep it up, and by the time you're a senior, you'll be very pleased with the results. I wish I would have started that young...good on ya'.

born0withno0soul
10-23-07, 1:08 pm
That's because you're 14 dude. Keep it up, and by the time you're a senior, you'll be very pleased with the results. I wish I would have started that young...good on ya'.

wish i had started that young too. well i did for about 6 months then i met what i thought was a special girl. thats throws shit off in a teenager

jmt92
10-23-07, 1:09 pm

yea I rather enjoyed going from 161 to 181 in about 5 months with minimal fat gain.Trying to hit 200 atleast now don't know how long thatll take though.

jmt92
10-23-07, 1:10 pm
wish i had started that young too. well i did for about 6 months then i met what i thought was a special girl. thats throws shit off in a teenager

yea i learned better a while back.But I didn't really give anything up except 4 hours to talk everyday.waste of time.

kaya( bermy beast)
01-14-08, 6:22 pm
my first bulks going pretty steady. but im not jumping for joy yet im got a long way to go.

arab910
02-29-08, 8:37 pm
what defines a "whole food?"

like whole-SOME? fruits, lean carbs, protein-enriched, etc.?

MassMan
03-03-08, 8:59 pm
what defines a "whole food?"

like whole-SOME? fruits, lean carbs, protein-enriched, etc.?

Whole foods refers to foods that you eat. things like oats, steak, fruits, vegetables. They are all the bodybuilding friendly foods that you chew on, not drink, such as protein/mass gainers. Basically, whole foods, you chew. Hope this straightens some things out for you.

Skemerz
01-29-09, 12:42 am
A gallon of milk a day and you will gain weight fast. You can even add Skim milk powder to it as well. I have gained 10 kilo's in a few months like that. I only eat 3 meals a day with that. I guess once your body get used to it then you could add more meals in or larger quantities.

B.C.
03-23-09, 4:57 pm
Does anyone map out their macros? What I mean by that is:

Getting a good bit of your fats in early in the day.
Consuming most of your carbs around your training.
Tailing off carbs and fats through the day, last meal being low carb and low fat.

Here's an example:

1- high on just about everything.
2- higher in carbs and healthy fats.
Train
3- high on protien and carbs, low on fats
4- Moderate on everything
5- Lower on fats and carbs
6- Basically all protien (cottage cheese, protien shake)

I'm trying to keep my bulk on the cleaner side, so I'm wondering if this might be the way to go, or should I just try and keep everything even troughout the day?

mahscles
06-12-09, 9:37 am
yea i learned better a while back.But I didn't really give anything up except 4 hours to talk everyday.waste of time.

i just tell my gf that i have goals and nobody will get in the way of them. she is supportive of what i am doing all the way and understands that if i am at the gym or doing something involved with building myself that she shouldnt interrupt. and if she thought it would be a good idea, she would then remember that i keep my phone off when i am doing those things. everything is set up to work with minimal distraction from anyone in the normal human world.

Leadsled
06-12-09, 5:50 pm
i just tell my gf that i have goals and nobody will get in the way of them. she is supportive of what i am doing all the way and understands that if i am at the gym or doing something involved with building myself that she shouldnt interrupt. and if she thought it would be a good idea, she would then remember that i keep my phone off when i am doing those things. everything is set up to work with minimal distraction from anyone in the normal human world.

I like your style there animal! I too have the same relationship with my gf.

mahscles
06-12-09, 11:06 pm
I like your style there animal! I too have the same relationship with my gf.

animal is life... everything else has to adapt to that, because i sure as hell am not going to change my ways.

tmaximus89
06-16-09, 4:06 am
Thanks for the info and links guys....
It is really helpful....
I was having those problem too. Thanks to you guys...
I am having no more trouble.

HatemElAkkad
11-03-09, 5:52 am
Yo....

in my opinion, i agree with the whole not eating everything in sight thing....

start increasing your calories very gradually until u start gaining a little weight.....if you incoporate 2-4 cardio sessions, with one of those as HIT cardio, u should minimize fat gain while maximizing muscle gain...

get ur healthy fats, protein, and complex carbs...and get a cheat meal every week or so just to stay in the game!!

do ur best to keep your diet clean, yet eat like a freak and train like an even bigger freak!!!

the thing is to do things gradually, when it comes to calorie addition that is....

hope that helps...btw there are a lot of articles in the diet section of animalpak.com that would help.....

all the best, keep it real!!!

paulmartin483
05-04-10, 3:10 am
It was interesting that you want to gain your weight.My self exprience,I want say that you have used eat food in which you can get protien,naturien.You have not eat junk food.It was harm your body.I can gain 21lbs in four months.You can use it.

Zeus92
07-15-10, 4:52 pm
i was chubby all my life (5'6 about 220 lbs.) and then this past august i decided to dedicate myself to losing weight to compete for the wrestling season. problem was i didnt know how to do it properly. i just basically starved myself and did crazy cardio and lifted weights everyday (over trained). i fooled myself into thinking i was getting cut up and putting on muscle when in reality i was just shriveling away. i hit my lowest weight around january when i weighed 143 one morning. since then i realised i had to change things up. i now workout with weights five days out of the week (three on, one off, two on, one off) with sporadic low intensity cardio. but i'm still terrified of putting the fat back on so i never really stopped with my constrictive diet. i've tried implementing some good complex carbs every now and then, but i just psyche myself out and go on another diet. i even recently started the keto diet when im only at 4.5% body fat (currently weigh about 153 lbs.) i guess what im saying is i never knew how to bulk up properly cause all of the articles just say. "eat a shit load of food" or "i had mcdonalds three times a day when i bulked up" i just cant do that to myself. i wanna put on quality muscle, but i dont wanna become a fat ass either. i dont mind putting on a little fat ( i know it's inevitable) but i still wanna look and feel good. Im not trying to make you my personal dietician or anything i know your extremely busy, but could you maybe give me some guidelines or maybe just a sample meal plan? any help is really appreciated cause i feel like i've been on a precontest diet since august and im looking to actually put on some weight and BUILD my body. not just tear it down.

if it helps at all heres my stats- im 18 yearls old 5'6'' about 153 lbs. and about 4.5% body fat. ive been lifting weights seriously since about december. and i currently eat 6 meals a day following dave's keto diet. no carbs high protein and fat. and i workout five times a week everyday a different body part.

billgates.m88
07-24-10, 9:14 am
very Effortable post about diet plan. It is very easy to reduce the calories by
3 large eggs 1 cup of oats glass of milk. I Realy appreciate. It is good for health.

jackmartinn55
07-27-10, 10:49 am
Gaining weight properly is so important for body. There are so many executrices for it. You can joining gym. Eat the food with lots of protein and calories. Take daily 150-170 g protein if you want to build muscles. It is different for man, woman and child. Here some tips for gaining weight :

1. Protein is important for body.

2. Eat food in which more calories.

3. workouts daily.

4. Proper Work-out.

Animal Rep
07-30-10, 1:37 pm
Take daily 150-170 g protein

That seems a bit low, depending on body weight. You may want to increase that some more if you are looking to build mass.

jamescheckk
09-30-10, 9:01 am
Tips for Gain Weight :

- Eat starchy vegetables
- Proper Work-out
- Eat more calories
- Protein is important
- Exercise regularly
- Eat Complex carbohydrates

claudiajenfer1
10-05-10, 7:18 am
Eating more calories is the simplest thing you can do to gain weight with a high metabolism. An average calorie intake is around 2,000 per day for women and 2,500 men. But to gain weight with a fast metabolism, you are probably need to take a lot around 3,000 to 3,500 calories per day. Another way is to take at least 3meals per day.

BB-J
10-11-10, 10:40 pm
I've been training on/off for about 5 years and recently have begun to start taking things more seriously. I'm very strict on form etc and have been concentrating a lot on the lifting side of things, but have been neglecting my diet for some time now. Recently I have started on a new eating plan with the goal of gaining mass in mind.
I'm currently 178lb and looking to gain about 25lb (as much clean mass as I can)..

Now I know there is going to be a lot wrong with my current diet, and thats ok, i'm open for suggestion and would just like some tips/ideas which may help me achieve my goal.

So here goes;
Meal 1 7am: 4 Eggs (2 Whole, 2 Egg Whites) + 1 Cup of oats + 20g Tribulus, 2g Glutamine
Meal 2 10am: 100g Tuna + 3 Egg Whites
Meal 3 1pm: 100g Lean Beef + 2 Green Veg
Meal 4 4pm: 100g Tuna + 3 Egg Whites
Meal 5 7pm: 250g Chicken Breast + 6 BCAA's + 2g Glutamine + 2g Fish Oil + 2g Flaxseed Oil
Meal 6 10pm: Whey protein Shake

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jameswilliam
11-24-10, 9:25 am
To gain weight then there is required to balance all the nutrition like vitamins, proteins, zinc and so on. Another main thing is that there is required to follow the exercise schedule and diet program regularly which helps to increase the stamina power.

Kevin Marshall
12-06-10, 6:42 pm
Increase your consumption of junk food and greasy foods is not a good way to gain weight. Junk food usually contain unhealthy trans fats, saturated fat and refined sugar. Although you must increase your calorie consumption to gain weight, calories, they must come from foods that are good for you. Healthy fats include sources of omega-3 essential fatty acids, like tuna, salmon, flaxseed and walnuts. Good sources of protein include lean meat, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds and legumes. Health sources of carbohydrates are fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Da Eclipse
01-04-11, 12:12 pm
I'ts been told that eating clean is good less junk food and eating lot's of clean food water and
training hard staying Consistent is the key.

mahscles
01-15-11, 11:05 am
1.5g to 2g protein per lb of body weight. Around the same number of carbs. Healthy fats, yeah i said healthy, not chips and pizza and shit food. Im talking Omega 3s, 6s, and 9s. Get these from supplements and/or various foods. And a good multi like Pak, and an amino supplement. Lets break it down. I weigh 265 so if i want to bulk up then:
-Around 400-500g (beef, poultry, and fish) protein
-300-400g carbs (i'm carb sensitive so i have to be careful)
-Healthy fats (fish, Animal Omega, etc.)
-Animal Pak
-Animal Nitro
-Plenty of water(people tend to forget this)
Its not rocket science, its just commitment. If anyone ever gives you a specific amount of protein or carbs (like "you have to eat 200 pro and 189 carbs" or some other bullshit) you have to eat, dont listen to them because its about body weight and how you respond. If you start getting fat, try lowering the carbs or check your fat intake. AND NEVER EVER BE HUNGRY!

C.Coronato
02-09-11, 10:53 am
1.5g to 2g protein per lb of body weight. Around the same number of carbs. Healthy fats, yeah i said healthy, not chips and pizza and shit food. Im talking Omega 3s, 6s, and 9s. Get these from supplements and/or various foods. And a good multi like Pak, and an amino supplement. Lets break it down. I weigh 265 so if i want to bulk up then:
-Around 400-500g (beef, poultry, and fish) protein
-300-400g carbs (i'm carb sensitive so i have to be careful)
-Healthy fats (fish, Animal Omega, etc.)
-Animal Pak
-Animal Nitro
-Plenty of water(people tend to forget this)
Its not rocket science, its just commitment. If anyone ever gives you a specific amount of protein or carbs (like "you have to eat 200 pro and 189 carbs" or some other bullshit) you have to eat, dont listen to them because its about body weight and how you respond. If you start getting fat, try lowering the carbs or check your fat intake. AND NEVER EVER BE HUNGRY!

Great post.

echoboi
09-15-11, 1:51 am
I've been a member of this forum for a long time and tend to read many of the posts. For some reason, initially, I was unable to post for a while myself, but that is finally fixed. Anyway, I take lots of animal supplements: Nitro, M-Stak, Pump, Rage, and Flex. I also eat clean all the time. I'm very disciplined with my diet. I basically look at unhealthy food the same way I would look at a cigarette: I wouldn't touch either one.
I started out very unhealthy. I was one of those skinny kids that could eat whatever I wanted and never gain an ounce, until my metabolism slowed down as I got older, and I ended up with around 26% body fat before I knew I needed to do something. I've gotten my body fat down to 8%, can't seem to get lower than that for some reason.
I was: 27 years old, slightly under 5'9" tall, 170lbs, 26% body fat.
My current stats are: 29 years old, slightly under 5'9" tall, 142lbs, 8% body fat.
I'm allergic to nearly all fruits and non-starchy vegetables, got tested, and there's nothing that can be done about that. So, I would say my diet is mainly healthy fats. I eat at least a cup of walnuts a day, 800 calories from that, 20 grams of protein. I get more protein from a whey and health shake, 40 grams there. And, I eat lean chicken breast or shrimp for more protein. I only eat whole grain carbs, usually from sprouted wheat bread. I also make sure to always keep my insulin levels from spiking.
Aside from diet, I train hard lifting heavy (well, heavy for me anyway; so far I can only bench about 105lbs) 3 times a week, working core on the other 3 days, with one day off. I warm up each routine with a bit of cardio, and that's about all the cardio I get at the moment.
My goal is to get to 180lbs, with 4-8% body fat. I used to be very vigorous about my calorie count, but now that I've got a better idea of how many calories are in the foods I eat, I take in around 2000 calories daily.
I know I need to increase my calorie intake to gain weight and muscle; however, every time I increase my calorie intake, I can't seem to keep the body fat down and end up just looking bloated and unhealthy again, even with only eating clean foods.
Is there anything I'm doing wrong, and is there something more I can do that will help me achieve my goals? As I said, I admire you guys.
Any advice would truly be appreciated.
--Chad

jexta
04-24-13, 1:35 pm
I've been a member of this forum for a long time and tend to read many of the posts. For some reason, initially, I was unable to post for a while myself, but that is finally fixed. Anyway, I take lots of animal supplements: Nitro, M-Stak, Pump, Rage, and Flex. I also eat clean all the time. I'm very disciplined with my diet. I basically look at unhealthy food the same way I would look at a cigarette: I wouldn't touch either one.
I started out very unhealthy. I was one of those skinny kids that could eat whatever I wanted and never gain an ounce, until my metabolism slowed down as I got older, and I ended up with around 26% body fat before I knew I needed to do something. I've gotten my body fat down to 8%, can't seem to get lower than that for some reason.
I was: 27 years old, slightly under 5'9" tall, 170lbs, 26% body fat.
My current stats are: 29 years old, slightly under 5'9" tall, 142lbs, 8% body fat.
I'm allergic to nearly all fruits and non-starchy vegetables, got tested, and there's nothing that can be done about that. So, I would say my diet is mainly healthy fats. I eat at least a cup of walnuts a day, 800 calories from that, 20 grams of protein. I get more protein from a whey and health shake, 40 grams there. And, I eat lean chicken breast or shrimp for more protein. I only eat whole grain carbs, usually from sprouted wheat bread. I also make sure to always keep my insulin levels from spiking.
Aside from diet, I train hard lifting heavy (well, heavy for me anyway; so far I can only bench about 105lbs) 3 times a week, working core on the other 3 days, with one day off. I warm up each routine with a bit of cardio, and that's about all the cardio I get at the moment.
My goal is to get to 180lbs, with 4-8% body fat. I used to be very vigorous about my calorie count, but now that I've got a better idea of how many calories are in the foods I eat, I take in around 2000 calories daily.
I know I need to increase my calorie intake to gain weight and muscle; however, every time I increase my calorie intake, I can't seem to keep the body fat down and end up just looking bloated and unhealthy again, even with only eating clean foods.
Is there anything I'm doing wrong, and is there something more I can do that will help me achieve my goals? As I said, I admire you guys.
Any advice would truly be appreciated.
--Chad

This was awhile ago and you only have 2 posts.. don't know if you're still around lol, woulda probably been better to post this in another section under ur own thread ;D

Maybe you reached your goals or you will never see this but you would need to increase your calories about double and don't worry about the fat increase and feeling bloated.. the feeling is probably mental and there will be fat gains as well; bulking phase is bulking lol.. then you would cut later.

Whitey
12-26-13, 10:54 am
Any advice for someone with a smaller appetite? Obviously i need to eat more and eat denser foods. I have a hard time with dairy products, milk and eggs are hardest on my system. I am a beginner with all of this and try to absorb all info i can. Im tall and skinny and tired of it. I see strength gains but no size gains? Any advice is much appreciated, so i ask again. Any advice on how to change my sissy ass appetite? Thanks brothers

Swolepez
12-26-13, 4:44 pm
Any advice for someone with a smaller appetite? Obviously i need to eat more and eat denser foods. I have a hard time with dairy products, milk and eggs are hardest on my system. I am a beginner with all of this and try to absorb all info i can. Im tall and skinny and tired of it. I see strength gains but no size gains? Any advice is much appreciated, so i ask again. Any advice on how to change my sissy ass appetite? Thanks brothers

Do you have trouble with the dairy in protein powder? If not then make a shake or two In order to drink down calories easy.

2 scoops powder = 240ish cals
1 cup oatmeal = 300 cals
2 tbsp natural pb = 180 cals
1 6oz banana = 130 cals

850 cals a shake. Have two of those a day and that's 1,700 cals down for the day that are drinkable and shouldn't hurt your appetite

Whitey
12-26-13, 5:37 pm
Do you have trouble with the dairy in protein powder? If not then make a shake or two In order to drink down calories easy.

2 scoops powder = 240ish cals
1 cup oatmeal = 300 cals
2 tbsp natural pb = 180 cals
1 6oz banana = 130 cals

850 cals a shake. Have two of those a day and that's 1,700 cals down for the day that are drinkable and shouldn't hurt your appetite

I appreciate that. As far as protein shakes it wrecks my appetite. I do however drink a real gains shake per day, i just have to split it into halves and drink it through my work day. Im building up to two shakes, i started with half a shake every day then moved up to one shake a day. I find if i drink the shake i eat less real food. I have not made a shake with the added ingredients you suggested, i'm on it now. I work construction and have a crazy fast metabolism. I eat frequently but just have trouble consuming large meals. This is all new to me so i'm just getting things going, i have already picked up on a few good tips to get my calories in on this forum. Im by no means a body builder, but the vibe in this forum is a positive one. Im gonna stick around and see this thing through. I appreciate the response swolepez good lookin out

Swolepez
12-26-13, 10:34 pm
I appreciate that. As far as protein shakes it wrecks my appetite. I do however drink a real gains shake per day, i just have to split it into halves and drink it through my work day. Im building up to two shakes, i started with half a shake every day then moved up to one shake a day. I find if i drink the shake i eat less real food. I have not made a shake with the added ingredients you suggested, i'm on it now. I work construction and have a crazy fast metabolism. I eat frequently but just have trouble consuming large meals. This is all new to me so i'm just getting things going, i have already picked up on a few good tips to get my calories in on this forum. Im by no means a body builder, but the vibe in this forum is a positive one. Im gonna stick around and see this thing through. I appreciate the response swolepez good lookin out

What about almonds? Take some at work if that sits in your stomach well

Whitey
12-26-13, 11:22 pm
What about almonds? Take some at work if that sits in your stomach well

Yeah almonds are fine, peanuts etc. are all good.