PDA

View Full Version : Diet FAQ #6: How do I do a cut properly?

Animal Rep
05-25-07, 4:52 pm
A “cut”, as it is so often called, should ideally be a situation in which a bodybuilder holds on to as much lean mass as possible while losing maximum body fat. This generally necessitates the gradual reduction of calories to below maintenance with an emphasis on lean muscle sparing protein and the addition of cardio on a regular basis. Refined carbohydrates should be done away with. Also, the need for frequent smaller feedings becomes primary in order to promote maximal metabolic stimulation. Supplements, most notably EAAs, like those found in Animal Nitro and Nitro G, have been proven to help lifters preserve lean mass. With the free form EAAs in Nitro and Nitro G, you get all the anabolic benefits of key aminos without all the extra calories.

bigrhino
06-10-07, 12:22 am
i have been waiting for a thread like this. thanks a lot.
Nitro does make a huge difference

raven1_77017
07-19-07, 9:59 pm
Good job on the description!!! Thank you!

SEANC
07-25-07, 7:21 pm
Well put. To lose weight Calories in < Calories out. I like to think of cutting as "strategic starvation."

norrim1
07-25-07, 7:26 pm
Been looking for this!

Mastrcruse
10-02-07, 4:13 pm
I was wondering, since Nitro G has Carbs in it, if going on a cut, wouldn't Nitro be better to go with?

BigLansford
10-07-07, 11:09 am
A “cut”, as it is so often called, should ideally be a situation in which a bodybuilder holds on to as much lean mass as possible while losing maximum body fat. This generally necessitates the gradual reduction of calories to below maintenance with an emphasis on lean muscle sparing protein and the addition of cardio on a regular basis. Refined carbohydrates should be done away with. Also, the need for frequent smaller feedings becomes primary in order to promote maximal metabolic stimulation. Supplements, most notably EAAs, like those found in Animal Nitro and Nitro G, have been proven to help lifters preserve lean mass. With the free form EAAs in Nitro and Nitro G, you get all the anabolic benefits of key aminos without all the extra calories.

I've been needing to read that for quite some time now.

simpleguy
10-15-07, 8:32 am
I was wondering, since Nitro G has Carbs in it, if going on a cut, wouldn't Nitro be better to go with?

yup, you got it

gridiron44
12-27-07, 4:59 pm
I hope im asking this in the right section I am new with the animal products because i have heard great things from them. I am currently taking animal pak and animal cuts. I was just curious if there is any suggestions of when would be best times to use them. From taking the supplements to when i should eat and work out. The help would be greatly appreciated.

Level 2 Calf Master
01-15-08, 4:10 pm
I need a little help with my cut, I'm looking to drop about 10 percent bodyfat. My meal plan is like this, I go, three days with mainly protein (of course getting around 300 grams) and then one day of carbs with my protein. I've been going to the gym at 5 in the morning and working out with light weight but high reps to help sustain lean muscle and then go later at night to do my real workout. I walk about 2 or 3 miles going to and from class and also walk for 30 minutes at night sometimes swapping it up and biking instead. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

houseofpain
02-23-08, 11:39 am
I need a little help with my cut, I'm looking to drop about 10 percent bodyfat. My meal plan is like this, I go, three days with mainly protein (of course getting around 300 grams) and then one day of carbs with my protein. I've been going to the gym at 5 in the morning and working out with light weight but high reps to help sustain lean muscle and then go later at night to do my real workout. I walk about 2 or 3 miles going to and from class and also walk for 30 minutes at night sometimes swapping it up and biking instead. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Alright. You've got some major things to work out. I don't have a problem helping you as long as I'm not wasting my breath. The two a day workout doesn't seem like a good idea. Working with lighter weights doesn't help maintain muscle mass, it will eventually make you look deflated. Stick to one a day lifting sessions. And when you lift, go hard. Keep the rep ranges between 8-12 but make sure your lifting challenging weight. The goal is you want to keep lifting hard to help maintain and even possible add muscle mass during a cut. As for your diet, I'm not sure if your preparing for a show or not. But if you are, I'd recommend ketosis. Search for it on the forum. Ox (evan centopani) is best known for this method. He and many other people have had success with it. One day carbs and one day no carbs doesn't seem like an effective method to me. With ketosis, you're completely eliminating carbs and forcing your body to run on ketones (a by product of fat breakdown). Make sure your taking in plenty of water as well (around 1 gallon or more) per day. If you have the money, I'd really recommend Animal Cuts. There are a bunch of threads on here discussing the best time and way to take it for optimal results. Give it a search. If ya have any more questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck.

HOUSE

Joseb
03-02-08, 8:44 pm
all I do is cut calories. 500 under what I need for maintenence 1900 for me so I just stick to that and spread it out to 7 meals a day. btw i count my post workout shake as a meal

LHS Monster
03-02-08, 9:20 pm

Alright. You've got some major things to work out. I don't have a problem helping you as long as I'm not wasting my breath. The two a day workout doesn't seem like a good idea. Working with lighter weights doesn't help maintain muscle mass, it will eventually make you look deflated. Stick to one a day lifting sessions. And when you lift, go hard. Keep the rep ranges between 8-12 but make sure your lifting challenging weight. The goal is you want to keep lifting hard to help maintain and even possible add muscle mass during a cut. As for your diet, I'm not sure if your preparing for a show or not. But if you are, I'd recommend ketosis. Search for it on the forum. Ox (evan centopani) is best known for this method. He and many other people have had success with it. One day carbs and one day no carbs doesn't seem like an effective method to me. With ketosis, you're completely eliminating carbs and forcing your body to run on ketones (a by product of fat breakdown). Make sure your taking in plenty of water as well (around 1 gallon or more) per day. If you have the money, I'd really recommend Animal Cuts. There are a bunch of threads on here discussing the best time and way to take it for optimal results. Give it a search. If ya have any more questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck.

HOUSE

whoa whoa whoa hold up a min. before you go tearing this guy up i kno lee haney and rich gaspari both used to work out twice a day but also to you calf monster just lift with the same level of intensity as you would in the off season ..... but as house says it doesnt help to do lighter weight and more reps in my opinion and many of the animals on heres opinions thats just an old wives tale

GreyGhost
08-13-08, 6:08 pm
Okay, I am starting a cut session next week and wanted to get some feedback on my diet:

First off I am 28, 6' and weigh 205lbs with 19% BF. I want to get my BF down to 10% for now. I lan on using Animals training routine #5, with cycling as my cardio afterwards.

During the cutting period, I will be stacking Animal Cuts, M-Stack, and Pak. Cuts in the morning (with Pak) and afternoon with M-Stack pre-workout in the evening. Diet is posted in my next post below.

GreyGhost
08-13-08, 6:18 pm
Here is my cutting diet:
Calories
Meal #1 Protein Shake 140
Meal #2 Otmeal 160
5 eggs (4 whites/1 yolk) 143
Meal #3 Protein Shake 140
Grapes (20) 72
Meal #4 Brown Rice (1c) 166
Chicken 320
Meal #5 Protein Shake 140
Grapes (20) 72
Meal #6 PWO Shake 280
Meal #7 Salad (4 cups) 30
Dressing (2Tbs) 90
Chicken 320
Meal#8 Protein Shake 140
Totals 2218 calories 80.4g fat 147.4g carbs 258.6g protein

The only thing I think I am missing is more protein, thought about doubling up on the serving size for my shakes, will give me an extra 120g bringing it to 378.6g per day, but this will also increase my calorie intake by 460. My off-days are the same minus the PWO shake bringing totals to 1913 calories 42.2g fat, 115.4g carbs, 244.5g protein

saosin1015
10-23-08, 10:12 am
this is my bible

mk53220
11-27-08, 11:35 pm
Here is my cutting diet:
Calories
Meal #2 Otmeal 160
Grapes (20) 72
Chicken 320
Grapes (20) 72
Meal #6 PWO Shake 280
Dressing (2Tbs) 90
Chicken 320
Meal#8 Protein Shake 140

The only thing I think I am missing is more protein, thought about doubling up on the serving size for my shakes, will give me an extra 120g bringing it to 378.6g per day, but this will also increase my calorie intake by 460. My off-days are the same minus the PWO shake bringing totals to 1913 calories 42.2g fat, 115.4g carbs, 244.5g protein

Has anyone tried this and if so how did it work??

whitemike1644
12-19-08, 6:29 pm
man good to be back (torn shoulder labrum back in may)

so i have started lifting again and i am trying to stay lean so i can cut down the body fat. i'm strict chicken and rice and salad salmon almost never any meat.

my supps are nitro, pump, pak, storm,

i have been lifting hard 8-12 range and doing cardio for 20 min after workouts and on off days (every other day) i do cardio alone in the mornings.

so i am trying to put the mass on without gaining the fat so are my supps ok? i don't want to use cuts because i am trying to put on the lean mass. whats the suggestions???

GORILLA WARRIOR
05-06-09, 3:38 pm
i love referring to this post, as i use it as my guide during a cutting "carb cycling" program right now

benakelly
05-08-09, 11:19 pm
Thanks for the plan... I'm on it! People are wondering who is this guy!

omegared
06-26-09, 3:43 pm
IM also trying to cut. Slim down the old waist area. I've come to a screeching halt after getting into the work out game. Im currently taking Pak, and pump. I do about 30 min of cardio and then hit the weights. Mon/Chest, Tues/Back, Weds/Legs, Thurs/arm, Fri/Delts,shoulders. Meal plan (meal 1)1c Oatmeal, (Meal 2) Shake and peanuts, (meal 3) beans, tuna and wasa crackers, (meal 4) Wheat bread, tuna, beans, (Meal 5) 6 egg whites and a shake. I do at times substitute tuna for turkey or chicken. I do not eat pork and beef. I do get up at night with hunger so i try and eat just a couple of slices of cold cuts. Should i down a serving of protein instead or should i try not to eat anything at all. Any help will be appreciated.

C.Coronato
06-26-09, 4:33 pm
IM also trying to cut. Slim down the old waist area. I've come to a screeching halt after getting into the work out game. Im currently taking Pak, and pump. I do about 30 min of cardio and then hit the weights. Mon/Chest, Tues/Back, Weds/Legs, Thurs/arm, Fri/Delts,shoulders. Meal plan (meal 1)1c Oatmeal, (Meal 2) Shake and peanuts, (meal 3) beans, tuna and wasa crackers, (meal 4) Wheat bread, tuna, beans, (Meal 5) 6 egg whites and a shake. I do at times substitute tuna for turkey or chicken. I do not eat pork and beef. I do get up at night with hunger so i try and eat just a couple of slices of cold cuts. Should i down a serving of protein instead or should i try not to eat anything at all. Any help will be appreciated.

Boy .. you are certainly in the right place. How old are you and what are your goals. Your protein:carb ratio does not look as good as it should be, and you DEF need to be eating. 5-6 meals a day. Oatmeal is not a meal alone, add eggs to that. Cut out the peanuts, how much protein/carbs in the shake? .. to start

omegared
06-26-09, 4:50 pm
Im 27. i am 5'7" and weight 182LB. Just a year ago i was 265LB. I cut down alot. But im faced with a little extra inches that i cant seem to shake off. I put on weight fast and alot of it comes from water weight. i was off the gym for about 3 weeks to take a test and packed on the 3 inches on the midsection. Now im trying to cut that. OK add eggs. Got it. Usually one scoop and thats about 23 gramsof pro. and 3 grams of carbs. Im looking to gain mass but keep and steady and lean body fat percentage. for the moment is animal cuts something i should be taking instead of the pump.

DK
11-02-09, 8:03 pm
i have been dieting for at least 5 months now and i have lost at LEAST 15 lbs of fat while making giant leaps ahead in strength. I think i may have hit a plateau though, and i need some help to meet my goals. I take Animal Pak, Flex, Cuts, and Omega and my diet is as follows:

wake up- Animal cuts
meal 1- 4 eggs and 1 cup brown rice and piece of fruit + Animal Omega
meal 2- one of these: fish, chicken, red meat; 1-2 cups of vegetables; and maybe 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup oatmeal + Animal Pak
*Animal Cuts*
meal 3- protein shake and 1-2 cups vegetables + Animal Flex
meal 4 (PWO)- protein shake + Animal Omega
meal 5- one of these: fish, chicken, red meat, beans; 1-2 cups vegetables; 1 cup brown rice
meal 6- fish, chicken, red meat
meal 7- protein shake before bed

I am thinking about cutting the carbs to 1/2 a cup instead of 1 cup for all meals. I train 5 times a week and do not cheat on my diet, i just think ive hit a damn plateau. Any advice would be appreciated brothers

C.Coronato
11-03-09, 10:51 am
DK you were losing weight with all those carbs?? Thats a good amount my brother. I would suggest yea cutting back on them a bit. Also how much of the proteins are you having?

DK
11-03-09, 9:08 pm
yessir i definitely cut back on the carbs to 1/2 a cup as opposed to 1 cup, they're all complex as well. I try to take in somewhere around 200 grams of protein a day. Should i be eating carbs with each of my 6-7 daily meals or just eat them with 2-3 meals a day? Also, what about natural peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts)? i take animal Omega but i dont eat anything else to get fats except for whats in the olive oil i use when i cook eggs, so would it be ok to eat some peanut butter?

thanks for your advice brother

C.Coronato
11-04-09, 9:09 am
yessir i definitely cut back on the carbs to 1/2 a cup as opposed to 1 cup, they're all complex as well. I try to take in somewhere around 200 grams of protein a day. Should i be eating carbs with each of my 6-7 daily meals or just eat them with 2-3 meals a day? Also, what about natural peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts)? i take animal Omega but i dont eat anything else to get fats except for whats in the olive oil i use when i cook eggs, so would it be ok to eat some peanut butter?

thanks for your advice brother

I would personally suggest just having the carbs in the AM and then before and after workout for now. Until your not seeing the results any more.

I would not have any PB, if anything Almond Butter, but i wouldnt suggest to much of that either. How much do you weigh? 200 grams of protein seems low.

DK
11-04-09, 1:54 pm
ok i can do that with the carbs, seeing how i only eat them with meal 1 and 2 of my day anyway haha! alright, i will shy away from the pb too, but i was wondering, why should you not eat pb? where do you get your fats from?

i weigh 175 lbs, and am at a lower weight now than ive ever been in my life, so i figured 200 grams would be a good mark for me to aim for

C.Coronato
11-04-09, 2:32 pm
Well usually there are not added fats if you are doing a cut with carbs.

Most of the time the people who add fats into their cut diet are doing a Keto or Keto-type with little to no carbs.

The way that works is your body needs energy .. Carbs or Fats, not both. In a regular diet your body uses the carbs for the energy, in the Keto your body uses the fats.

I would increase your protein to about 1.5 grams of your lean body mass. So shoot for i would say 250 or so .. so shoot for like 40 grams per meal ..

DK
11-04-09, 4:45 pm
wow, either carbs or fats not both, i am in idiot, i cant believe i didnt think about that. thank you so much for setting me straight with that brother

ok i will up my protein as well. haha and i thought i was getting enough already! it's good news to hear that i need to up my intake, as sadistic as that may seem

i also started to give arms their own day like you had suggested to me, i'm anxious to see the results with all this new advice!

DK
11-12-09, 8:41 pm
alright so ive got another question to ask:

i do not do cardio on leg day (for obvious reasons) but the day after my legs are so sore that it is uncomfortable to walk. Should i still do cardio? a friend of mine said to stretch periodically throughout the run but i was just wondering what yall thought

alemax38
12-15-09, 1:18 am
so i ain't got much money but i'd like to work in lots of proteins and veggies. i should stick strictly to chicken and salads correct?? i also am trying to push in to a minimal supplemental routine to keep the body healthier cause sometimes i feel supplements bring more damage to my head and health. not a fan of creatine, cause it makes me feel fat. i know its water weight but i hate the look. fruits r ok as well? i like to take an orange before a workout. i got the mass, just need the cut. whats the best approach to this?

C.Coronato
12-15-09, 10:15 am
alright so ive got another question to ask:

i do not do cardio on leg day (for obvious reasons) but the day after my legs are so sore that it is uncomfortable to walk. Should i still do cardio? a friend of mine said to stretch periodically throughout the run but i was just wondering what yall thought

I simply walk 10 mins before and 10 after during my leg days my brother.

so i ain't got much money but i'd like to work in lots of proteins and veggies. i should stick strictly to chicken and salads correct?? i also am trying to push in to a minimal supplemental routine to keep the body healthier cause sometimes i feel supplements bring more damage to my head and health. not a fan of creatine, cause it makes me feel fat. i know its water weight but i hate the look. fruits r ok as well? i like to take an orange before a workout. i got the mass, just need the cut. whats the best approach to this?

How old are you and what do you weigh? You would need a proper cut diet.

alemax38
12-15-09, 11:25 pm
im eighteen and im pushing 185. see the thing is. its a big mixture between fat and muscle. im currently 5'10" which means im just a little bit on the squatty stout side and i just hate the way my lower core/hips look. i don't wanna destroy myself by dieting but somethings gotta be done ya know?? i hate this look.

DarkGT
01-17-10, 7:23 pm
Hey guys, Im new to the site and i just resenlty decided to hit the gym again affter about a 10 year lay off lol. First off im 5'10" right at 205, I have a broad shoulder build so i dont look as heavy as i am. But i do have a gut i cant seem to get off. My plans are to loose about 20-25 lbs of fat then put it back on in muscle weight. I go to the gym everyday for atleast an hour and a half. And 30 min is cardo. Iv been doing this for almost 3 weeks. So im looking for somehelp to shed the body fat first. I really dont have a diet i just try to eat protien 3 times a day and nothing but drinking water. My job is kind of hectic i really dont have time to set down and plan out a meal cause im all over all the time. So can any one sugest what i should do? I was looking at geting the Animal Cut and the Animal stack i really dont want to get huge but more worried with building more strength and some size

C.Coronato
01-18-10, 1:55 pm
im eighteen and im pushing 185. see the thing is. its a big mixture between fat and muscle. im currently 5'10" which means im just a little bit on the squatty stout side and i just hate the way my lower core/hips look. i don't wanna destroy myself by dieting but somethings gotta be done ya know?? i hate this look.

The way i always start my diet is to set it up with some standards:

2 x BW in protein and 1 x BW in carbs. Do that for a week or so and assess from there.

So for you you will have 6 meals a day, spaced 3 hours apart. Chicken, lean beef, fish, eggs, oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes. Do cardio in the AM as soon as you wake up on an empty stomach.

Hey guys, Im new to the site and i just resenlty decided to hit the gym again affter about a 10 year lay off lol. First off im 5'10" right at 205, I have a broad shoulder build so i dont look as heavy as i am. But i do have a gut i cant seem to get off. My plans are to loose about 20-25 lbs of fat then put it back on in muscle weight. I go to the gym everyday for atleast an hour and a half. And 30 min is cardo. Iv been doing this for almost 3 weeks. So im looking for somehelp to shed the body fat first. I really dont have a diet i just try to eat protien 3 times a day and nothing but drinking water. My job is kind of hectic i really dont have time to set down and plan out a meal cause im all over all the time. So can any one sugest what i should do? I was looking at geting the Animal Cut and the Animal stack i really dont want to get huge but more worried with building more strength and some size

Hey man if you can get in three solid meals, and then three more snack type foods (trail mix, protein shake, fruit, ect) just so you can keep your metabolism going, that would serve you better.

Xraided831
01-30-10, 4:25 am
Been on a "cutting phase" for bout 7 weeks now and I have seen great results.. I have done cut phases in the past, but this time around I wanted to also wanted to try something different.. I have gone 7 weeks of no "red meat" and no pork and have seen great results.. I have been met with mixed opinions about it, but wanted to see what my "Animal Brothers" think about it. Overall I feel great I have lost about 16 lbs and I still get my protein from chicken, turkey, and fish. So if ya have something to say feel free to let me know any opinions are welcome... Peace!!

Meal 1:
1 cup of oatmeal + 2 tbsp of raisins

Meal 2:
10oz of Protein shake

Workout
45 mins weight training
40 mins of cardio

Meal 3:
10 oz Protein shake + 1 whole banana (Post work out meal)

Meal 4: Lunch
2 halves of chicken breast + brown rice
2 cups of spring mix salad with raisins and almonds
2 tbsp of lite vinagarette

Meal 5:
1 apple
1 serving of yoplait lite yogurt

Meal 6: Dinner
12 oz of Tilapia or Salmon
1 cup of Brown rice
1 cup of spring mix salad +raisins and almonds

Meal 7:
10 oz of protein shake + 2 tbsp of raw oatmeal
1 whole banana

I drink about 1 1/4 gallon of water a day... here are my supps..

Animal Pak
Animal Cuts
Animal Nitro
Shock Therapy

C.Coronato
02-01-10, 3:25 pm
Hey man, everyone reacts differently. If it works for you, i wouldnt cloud your head with other peoples opinions about it my man. 16 lbs in 7 weeks is right on track with good weight loss.

Tytus
02-03-10, 5:12 pm
Hey guys I’ve done a good several hours worth of solid research and article/forum reading to really get the gist of what I need to be doing for my cut I am currently on. Please take a look at my diet/routine and critique; I could really use some reassurance that I’m doing it right. I’ll offer my thoughts on why I do what I do and when so that you who know more than I can amend my thinking if necessary.

7:30am- wake up and take Animal Cut pak 1

7:45am- cardio: 5 minute warm up, dynamic, ballistic, and static stretching, 8 30 second sprints with a minute rest time in between each, 5 minute cool down

(I do my cardio before eating so my body uses fat storages as energy to keep going instead of breakfast)

8:15am- Breakfast
3 egg whites, 1 whole egg
24g whey protein
8 oz skim milk
One piece of fruit, usually banana or orange

10:45am- 10 minute break from classes
30 unsalted almonds

12:15pm- First real snack after breakfast
Clif protein bar

2:30pm- back at home. If it’s a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, I will be doing weights since I’m currently doing P90X, and I will take my second Animal Cuts pak, and have 24g of whey protein, 2.5g of glutamine and creatine (to help power my strength training) and 8 oz of skim milk a half hour after taking the pak. If it’s any other day of the week, I will take the pak and work out 15 minutes later, doing plyometrics, yoga, or kenpo.. On my cardio based P90X workout days, I’ll get my protein shake in right after the workout.

4:00pm ish- post work out feast
V8 shake with 2.5g of creatine and glutamine (carbs)
Wheat bread (carbs)
4 oz Chicken breast
Apple

6:00pm—dinner
4 oz chicken breast
Carrots
Lettuce

8:00pm—dinner 2
24g whey protein
8 oz skim milk
Celery sticks dipped in peanut butter

All day long- about 220 ounces of water daily

I calorie count all day to make sure I’m in the 1900-2100 range. But I basically get 6 protein servings to 1 carb serving a day, which I hear is good for cutting. My biggest concern is timing; if I’m eating at the right times based on my workouts and recovery windows, and if I’m eating enough during those times or too much. When I'm weight training I make sure I always hit failure at a rep that's between 8-12.

Any input on all of this will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks ahead of time.

My current stats are:
Age-20
Weight-220
Height-6’5
BF%- ~18
RMR- 2534
Maintenance zone- 2534-3293

I have no weight goals since I plan on bulking anyway, and I only care how I look and feel, not how much I weigh, but I would really like to cut down to 8-10% in the most efficient fashion possible. It may be necessary to note that I’ve always been around the 18-25% BF range, and have never experienced a really fit looking body before. I hear it’s easier to cut when you’ve been there before, but this may just be rumors. I’m actually toner now than I’ve ever been before.

Tytus
02-03-10, 5:18 pm
sorry for the double quote but:

I also take 3 flax seed oil soft gels a day with meals,

3 CLA 1000mg soft gels a day, 1 with each animal cut pak and the last with dinner

A multivitamin with my PWO feast, along with 1000mg of L-Arganine as well

njames
02-04-10, 1:12 pm
This is the last month of my attempted mass gains. Starting the March 1st through May 15th, I'll be going full force to try and get as shredded as possible (as close to 10% I can get).

Currently, I stand at 185-190 lbs (depending on the day), 25% body fat. For my mass building, I have done all I could to get as close to 375g of protein. My carb/fat intake is pretty low (and it's healthy fats & carbs). My daily diet is: 1% fat cottage cheese (about 156g of protein), protein isolate shakes (125g protein), lean tuna (39g of protein), and the rest is various other protein sources. I also usually have an orange and veggies everyday. In actuality, I probably don't get enough carbs. My Sat & Sun have been cheat days, but usually that just means I don't count my calories, and still eat relatively well.

I lift weights 3-4 times a week.

I've gotten my cotisol/testo levels checked and am getting them to proper levels (cotisol too high, test way low for being 27 yrs old).

When I cut, I'll be doing a stack of Animal Cuts/Pak/Nitro along with the usual CLA, fish oil, etc.

The reason for all this long-winded background is because I wanted to give you a framework to what I've done. I want to let you know I'm serious about this, so no one will waste their time on me.

For the cutting months, what protein/fat/carb level should I do? I'm educated in healthy protein/fats/carbs, so I will keep that up. I have a daily food spreadsheet, so whatever you recommend will be figured out using the whole foods I eat. I just need guidance. I've spent a couple thousand on personal training at the gym, and have not gotten that one-on-one treatment I was PAYING for - just generic advice.

Also, for my cutting workouts/cardio advice, should I copy/paste this in that section in the forum?

PLEASE HELP.

mpgolfpro
02-16-10, 4:27 pm
For the past month Ive been trying to cut as much weight as I can but have had limited to no success. I currently weight is 270lbs and my body fat is 31%. I am not able to do any upper body lifting right now because I had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum 3 months ago. I basically have been doing cardio 5 days a week for the last month, mostly stair stepper, sometimes elliptical or bike and sometimes I run on the treadmill. I will alternate days of doing HIIT and then steady state the next day. I do HIIT for 20 min with a 5 min warm up and cool down for 30 min total. I do steady state cardio for about an hour. Im wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to why Im not losing weight with all this cardio (no lifting maybe? hope not though since I cant do it). I probably wont be able to start lifting again for another 3-4 months so I thought this would be the perfect time to drop some lbs. Im not really concerned if I lose a little muscle along the way as long as I drop the weight. Ive thought about adding some lunges, box jumps, etc to work my lower body a little. I just cant do anything that puts a large load on my shoulder. I also use the cable machine at around 12lbs to do my PT for my shoulder strengthening/rotator cuff exercises. Below is my current diet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and btw, I just ordered Animal Pak and Animal Cuts and will begin taking those in the next few days when they arrive.

8:00 Workout
10:00 Meal 1
2 whole eggs plus 2 whites
1 piece whole wheat toast with peanut butter
1 piece fruit
8oz skim milk or water
12:00 Meal 2
1 scoop protein powder
1 granola bar or handful of almonds
1 piece of fruit
2:00 Meal 3
1 chicken breast
1 vegetable
4:00 Meal 4
1 scoop protein powder
1 piece of fruit
6:00 Meal 5
1 chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
1 vegetable
8 oz skim milk or water
8:00 Meal 6
1 scoop protein powder

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long post.

TAGomez
02-16-10, 8:20 pm
For the past month Ive been trying to cut as much weight as I can but have had limited to no success. I currently weight is 270lbs and my body fat is 31%. I am not able to do any upper body lifting right now because I had shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum 3 months ago. I basically have been doing cardio 5 days a week for the last month, mostly stair stepper, sometimes elliptical or bike and sometimes I run on the treadmill. I will alternate days of doing HIIT and then steady state the next day. I do HIIT for 20 min with a 5 min warm up and cool down for 30 min total. I do steady state cardio for about an hour. Im wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to why Im not losing weight with all this cardio (no lifting maybe? hope not though since I cant do it). I probably wont be able to start lifting again for another 3-4 months so I thought this would be the perfect time to drop some lbs. Im not really concerned if I lose a little muscle along the way as long as I drop the weight. Ive thought about adding some lunges, box jumps, etc to work my lower body a little. I just cant do anything that puts a large load on my shoulder. I also use the cable machine at around 12lbs to do my PT for my shoulder strengthening/rotator cuff exercises. Below is my current diet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and btw, I just ordered Animal Pak and Animal Cuts and will begin taking those in the next few days when they arrive.

2 whole eggs plus 2 whites
1 piece whole wheat toast with peanut butter
1 piece fruit
8oz skim milk or water
1 scoop protein powder
1 piece of fruit
1 chicken breast
1 vegetable
1 scoop protein powder
1 piece of fruit
1 chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
1 vegetable
8 oz skim milk or water
1 scoop protein powder

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the long post.

bro, i think you are taking too many calories, count them and eat less. also i think you should avoid the fruits (too much sugar), the peanut butter (too much fats/calories) and the almonds (also fats/calories). eat more chicken, fish, green veggies and complex carbohydrates but always counting calories, go easy with skimmed milk it has a good amount of calories, drink water. i recommend animal cuts to help you avoid cravings, it would make a lot easier to overcome the hunger caused by the caloric deficit you need too put your body into fat burning mode.

stumblin54
02-16-10, 9:08 pm
Cut out the granola, stick with the almonds. They're great on a cut. Also, add some fats into that protein shake if that's your last meal of the day, it'll slow down the digestion over your night fasting (sleeping). Think about this though, you're not eating for 14 hours between your last and first meal, that is a very, very long time.

Stumblin

mpgolfpro
02-17-10, 11:02 am
what kind of fats would you recommend to add with a protein shake?

mpgolfpro
02-17-10, 11:12 am
Also, as far as not eating for 14 hours. I have always thought its bad to eat late at night and then I thought it would be best to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach so I don't have to burn through calories and carbs from food I just ate. Is this a bad approach? I could eat before I work out in the morning and then add in a post work out meal but what then should that include? FYI I usually go to bed around 11-12 at night. Could you switch up my plan for me so I know what I SHOULD be doing. Thanks a ton.

stumblin54
02-18-10, 2:47 pm
I like natural peanut butter in my night time shakes right before bed. And since you're already eating chicken twice during the day, maybe add another whole food meal at 8p like a can of tuna with some kind of greens, and then at 10 or 11p hit up that pro shake with some milk and about 2tbps PB.

Stumblin

mpgolfpro
02-18-10, 11:47 pm
I like natural peanut butter in my night time shakes right before bed. And since you're already eating chicken twice during the day, maybe add another whole food meal at 8p like a can of tuna with some kind of greens, and then at 10 or 11p hit up that pro shake with some milk and about 2tbps PB.

Stumblin

Stumblin....Thanks for all the advice. Would this look better?

2 whole eggs plus 2 egg whites
1 piece whole wheat toast
1 piece fruit
1 scoop protein powder
1 handful of almonds
1 chicken breast
1 vegetable
1 scoop protein powder
1 granola bar
1 piece of fruit
1 chicken breast
1 vegetable
1 can tuna
1 vegetable
10:00 Meal 7
1 scoop protein powder
1 tbsp peanut butter

I was also thinking about maybe cutting out the piece of fruit with meal 4? What would you think about substituting the peanut butter in meal 7 and adding some flax seed oil instead? That way I would still get the good fats required but not the calories.

Do you think that it is beneficial to workout in the morning on an empty stomach or should I eat breakfast before and then reschedule my meals so that I have a post workout meal?

Since Im trying to cut weight, this seems/looks like a lot of food to eat throughout the day and still lose weight? Maybe Im wrong. Thanks again.

Eroc7171
02-22-10, 5:49 am
Thanks for this post, its awesome!

I am new to the forvm, and I am adjusting my diet for fat loss and cutting.

As I am new, I have a few dumb questions about food.

First, I have cut my carbs down a lot, I have a couple pieces of low calorie, high fiber toast and fresh squeezed OJ in the morning with my eggs, and typically some green vegetables with lunch and dinner. Is this suffiecient, or should I cut these out too? This cut back helped me to shed 30lbs before, but as I started to train, I added some carbs back in to bulk up. Now I've hit a plateau and can't seem to shed the last 10-20lbs.

Also, I usually get the majority of my calories in my morning and early afternoon meal, due to the way my work schedule is. I need some suggestions for a mid morning and late afternoon snack that I can pop quick with little or no preparation while Im working. Shakes just aren't feasible in my field of work, don't have time to fix em up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for sounding like such a newbie, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

stumblin54
02-26-10, 1:19 am
Stumblin....Thanks for all the advice. Would this look better?

2 whole eggs plus 2 egg whites
1 piece whole wheat toast
1 piece fruit
1 scoop protein powder
1 handful of almonds
1 chicken breast
1 vegetable
1 scoop protein powder
1 granola bar
1 piece of fruit
1 chicken breast
1 vegetable
1 can tuna
1 vegetable
10:00 Meal 7
1 scoop protein powder
1 tbsp peanut butter

I was also thinking about maybe cutting out the piece of fruit with meal 4? What would you think about substituting the peanut butter in meal 7 and adding some flax seed oil instead? That way I would still get the good fats required but not the calories.

Do you think that it is beneficial to workout in the morning on an empty stomach or should I eat breakfast before and then reschedule my meals so that I have a post workout meal?

Since Im trying to cut weight, this seems/looks like a lot of food to eat throughout the day and still lose weight? Maybe Im wrong. Thanks again.

Cut out the granola bar in meal 4, maybe another handful of almonds and jerky to hold you over or something of that nature. Make that two tbsp. of PB in meal 7, the calories will be okay they are healthy and needed before bed. You will lose weight if you eat small healthy meals throughout the day because you rev your metabolism up and are burning through the food you're eating, do not worry about eating too much here this is fine. And as far as working out on an empty stomach, I never do this because I will run out of energy but if you have to do so then just make sure you're eating all your meals afterward and you'll be okay.

First, I have cut my carbs down a lot, I have a couple pieces of low calorie, high fiber toast and fresh squeezed OJ in the morning with my eggs, and typically some green vegetables with lunch and dinner. Is this suffiecient, or should I cut these out too? This cut back helped me to shed 30lbs before, but as I started to train, I added some carbs back in to bulk up. Now I've hit a plateau and can't seem to shed the last 10-20lbs.

Also, I usually get the majority of my calories in my morning and early afternoon meal, due to the way my work schedule is. I need some suggestions for a mid morning and late afternoon snack that I can pop quick with little or no preparation while Im working. Shakes just aren't feasible in my field of work, don't have time to fix em up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for sounding like such a newbie, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

Never cut out veggies for the sake of eating low carbs, they are more beneficial to you to eat them. You need to prep your meals before work, place them in a tupperware, and heat them up so you can down them real quick and get back to it. Chicken and rice/broccoli is one of my staples for quick on-the-go meals.

Stumblin

Da Eclipse
12-20-10, 6:12 pm
Here is my cutting diet:
Calories
Meal #2 Otmeal 160
Grapes (20) 72
Chicken 320
Grapes (20) 72
Meal #6 PWO Shake 280
Dressing (2Tbs) 90
Chicken 320
Meal#8 Protein Shake 140

Is this a good example of how to diet?

hector_plgp
01-19-11, 10:30 am
good day to all, following the advice of certain animal, this is my past 2 days in a nutshell
weighing 155, i'm 5'8 and 14-16% BF. since i am pretty small sized i desperately want more mass but maintain or diminish my BF to 10%
currently taking NO2, CE2 and protein. usually a fan of animal cuts and stak. tried them both before.
monday:
7:00 am NO2 and CE2, 7:30 half cup lean beaf chilli and 5 eggs (3 whole 2 whites), 10:30 protein shake (44 g), 12:00 NO2 and CE2 1:15 3 lean beaf patties, 1 cup veggies,1 cup green salad, 4:00 protein shake (44g) 7: 30 two sides chicken breast and 2 cups chilli, 10 :00 pm protein shake (44g)
tuesday:
7:00 NO2 CE2, 7:30 chilli and egg whites, 10 30 prot shake 44g, 12:00 no2 ce2, 1:00 two sides chicken breast, beans and veggies, 4:00 prot shake 44g prot bar 30 g 9:00 egg and bacon omelette (3 whole 2 whites) 1 cup veggies and prot shake 44 g

i try to maintain these eating habits but usually when i grow i raise drastically my BF to 23-26% if not with fat its very hard for me to grow, right now im reasonably lean my muscles show, but i want to get BIG, HELP PLEASE

hector_plgp
01-19-11, 10:36 am
by the way , the protein shake is perfect whey protein, i always take 2 scoops it has 190 calories per scoop

C.Coronato
02-09-11, 10:51 am
Have you been running that diet? Are you growing on it?

Soldier
03-05-11, 12:20 am
Here's a question, sorry if it's been covered.

After a cheat meal, is it normal to feel bloated? My cut has been coming along nicely although after a recent cheat meal, my waistline doesn't feel as tight as it was.

Carrnage
03-05-11, 12:46 am
good day to all, following the advice of certain animal, this is my past 2 days in a nutshell
weighing 155, i'm 5'8 and 14-16% BF. since i am pretty small sized i desperately want more mass but maintain or diminish my BF to 10%
currently taking NO2, CE2 and protein. usually a fan of animal cuts and stak. tried them both before.
monday:
7:00 am NO2 and CE2, 7:30 half cup lean beaf chilli and 5 eggs (3 whole 2 whites), 10:30 protein shake (44 g), 12:00 NO2 and CE2 1:15 3 lean beaf patties, 1 cup veggies,1 cup green salad, 4:00 protein shake (44g) 7: 30 two sides chicken breast and 2 cups chilli, 10 :00 pm protein shake (44g)
tuesday:
7:00 NO2 CE2, 7:30 chilli and egg whites, 10 30 prot shake 44g, 12:00 no2 ce2, 1:00 two sides chicken breast, beans and veggies, 4:00 prot shake 44g prot bar 30 g 9:00 egg and bacon omelette (3 whole 2 whites) 1 cup veggies and prot shake 44 g

i try to maintain these eating habits but usually when i grow i raise drastically my BF to 23-26% if not with fat its very hard for me to grow, right now im reasonably lean my muscles show, but i want to get BIG, HELP PLEASE

here, its your lucky day

1) heavy compound movements only----free weight presses,dips,chins,squats,hacks,deads,rows
2) 5 meals a day containing alot of whole eggs, steak, fish, chicken, nuts, white and brown rice and potatoes
3) stop relying on supplements
4) train like a madman
5) cardio 4-5 days a week, 20 mins slow pace, or HIT cardio but you better be sippin on some BCAA's!!!

TheDukeUSMC
01-05-12, 1:31 am
Having read through all of this I still have specific questions during a cutting phase.

How long should a cut last?
What foods should you eat or not eat?
How often should you eat?

armyguard
02-07-12, 11:26 pm
Ill try to make this as short but as detailed as possobile. I am currently in a "cutting phase" and have a few questions about my diet. Right now I have my calories and macros set as so

Stats:
Bf 10-12%
Weight: roughly 180
Height: 5'7
Goal bf: 4-6%.. Maintain strength

Diet:
Calories: 2572
Protein: 303
carbs: 53
Fat: 117
Split between 7 meals.. the carbs mostly all post workout

I have a cheat day whenever my body tells me I need it ( fat loss plateau, decrease in strength, tiredness, etc), not once a week.

My routine is a 5 day body part split with no cardio: mon-tues-wed-off-fri-sat-off

My job as you gathered from the title is a coalminer. I work seven days a week doing heavy manual labor, always on my feet and im sure buring through some calories. You would think this is a good thing but im not to sure it is. I am still making strength gains (slowly) but fat loss has plateaued some also i think i might also be losing more muscle mass then im comfortable with. I am also noticing as of these last 2 weeks that im starting to get lil nagging pains (inflamtion of joints) here and there. What im wondering is if maybe i need to bump up my calories to match the demand im putting on my body not only in the gym but also at work. Could these extra calories in my day to day diet be what I need to maintain my mass, strength gains coming, and start losing fat continously? I have put together a diet that would have these extra calories in it below. The extra calories are coming from a hearty pre workout shake.

New Diet:
Calories 3,000
Protein: 339
Carbs:100
Fat:122
Split between 7 meals... the carbs pre workout and post workout

I have had success on the previous diet for sometime now but I feel as if my weights getting heavier and my day to day working schedule might be taking its toll on me.
Should i try the new diet i posted above? Or is 3,000 some calories to much for someone in my position to loss bodyfat. Any advice you guys can give me as what i can do with my diet, cardio, supplementation etc.. would be greatly appreciated

paramedic258
03-04-12, 5:47 pm
should i also take a thermo with this or no?

AJP1
04-06-12, 1:59 pm

HOUSE

This has to be solid advice...
Its what Im going to follow.
I got stuck in the light weight thing, and thats true, you will look deflated....
cals should be reduced just under maintence correct?
Then you should still be lifting a weight that is rather challenging just try and get in the rep range between 8 & 12 correct?

Hortybob
08-28-12, 11:12 pm
Alright, here is my current diet
Meal 1
Shake
Meal 2
4 egg whites, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oats
Meal 3
2 chicken breasts, 1/2 cup brown rice, Asparagus
Meal 4
Shake
Meal 5
2 chicken breasts, 1/2 cup brown rice, Broccoli
Meal 6
Shake

I lost a bunch of weight the first time I followed this strictly, and I looked a lot better, but I also lost a ton of strength even though I trained similarly to how I was training before, any suggestions on how to maintain my strength with the weight loss? Because I really want to cut, but the strength loss is a big downer for me.

AJP1
11-16-12, 3:47 pm
Subbed to this thread for a later read.

AJP1
11-17-12, 1:04 pm
Why is best suggested to not lift lighter weights/higher reps like say 15-20?
Ive heard to still live heavy/intensly to make the muscles still "need" to be there, but ive also heard lighter weights close to failure still can conduct growth as well.

In Flames
12-10-12, 7:59 am
This diet works wonders for me, I actually follow it year round. I'm a model so I'm going to eat differently than a bodybuilder.

Meal 1 - 50 gram Whey shake
Meal 2 - 8oz chicken, 2 cups green salad, 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 - Same as Meal 1
Meal 4 - 8oz fish or steak, 2 cups green salad, 1tbsp olive oil for dressing
Meal 5 - Same as Meal 1 + 3

I'll add Egglands Best eggs to my two meals if I'm really hungry, always whole eggs though, never only egg whites. I don't count fat calories. The only carbs I usually eat will be sweet or white potato, white rice, or oats. The carbs are extremely important right before a photo shoot.

MR. C
07-29-15, 7:42 pm
No matter what I do I cannot loose weight!

sgerwel1985
07-29-15, 10:31 pm
No matter what I do I cannot loose weight!

The one thing i did that helped me kind of get over the hump was focus more on the mirror and less on the number on the scale. Depending on how you train, you're probably burning fat and adding muscle, but have sort of a "net effect of zero" going on. Just stay strong and stay at it brother!

nickstrm
08-25-16, 6:40 am
Hi guys,

How can I accurately calculate my daily calorie needs?

I want to start bulking.

Regards,
Nick