PDA

View Full Version : Diet FAQ #9: I'm busy all the time--how do I get good meals in?

Animal Rep
05-25-07, 4:44 pm
Hey, many of us work rotating shifts. Many of us have a had time squeezing a solid meal in. Yeah, it sucks but we do what we have to do. I bring my food with me to work every night--eat through the mids like it was a day shift. Prepare some meals the night before. Take a cooler with you if you can. When you’re working nights and sleeping during the day, and you get up to take a leak, I have a Real Gains or Torrent shake, flop back into bed, sleep, get up and do the same thing over again. It's not easy, but if you’re motivated enough, you can come up with creative solutions and do it. I'm no different than you brother. If I can do it, you can too.

LUCEE
09-29-07, 7:25 am
yeah alot of us do have challenging schedules....but the key is be on top on things...prepare things in advance. I always have at least 3 MRP's in my bag...cuz in the Military you don't always have a set meal time, at least i don't....plan ahead...holla

Upstatebuilder07
09-29-07, 11:37 am
agreed biggest thing is to plan ahead of time, mrp's protein in a zip lock, oats in the car, almonds in your bag, bars can play there place and come in handy too

1skinnyassedrunt
11-14-07, 12:55 pm
I eat at 4am (two whole eggs two eggs whites, 1 cup of oats two slices of whole wheat bread one with jam one with pb n a whey shake), then again at 1030am which I think sucks, there are rare occasions were I can pound down a shake @8am if not I just eat a little extra at 1030 its all about planning organsing and getting your shit together

BODYUNDRCONSTRUCTON
01-18-08, 4:54 pm
On this Issue I guess am lucky. I sit at my store all day long and can pick and choose what I want to eat but when I was a trucker I bought a cold/hot cooler and made all my meals the night before and munch out thru the day.For some of you that work for someone else i say,You guys have bfast before work,then you have a break then lunch then break again.So there are 4 meals already and if you can't get a break to eat then you might want a prot bar to munch on.Trust me,if you are motivated enough you will find the way to get it done.
Get 1 inch cube of cheddar cheese,1/2 cup mixed nuts/and add 1/4 cup raisins and put in your pocket and munch out on it.(SIMPLE)

sawwedoff
03-13-08, 11:44 am
i can drink that torrent all the time, which means i love the taste!!

Ed_UK
03-13-08, 11:55 am
Carry around a cooler with you, pput in some wholegrain tuna/chicken/turkey sandwiches, an apple and a shake, or chicken and rice, and potatoes an turkey.....

thats what I do when im travelling on public transport, or sometimes i stop off at the bagel shop and get a hoummous and chicken wholegrain bagel with an apple and 32oz water.

beats burger king

Ed :)

sawwedoff
03-20-08, 9:31 pm
packing ur own lunch for work really really helps!!! so u end up at ur local sonic, or hardees hahahaha canned tuna, or canned chicken breast is easy and u can throw anywhere, whole grain double fiber bread is what i use, if i wanna eat beard that meal.

herdz
03-20-08, 9:49 pm
Well working at a suppliment store is where its at boys, get hungry..have a shake or a bar or a meal replacement haha. Its the shit, not to mention i get to try all the samples of everything so your pretty much wired for the shift ha.
Herdz

RedLegCulbe
04-15-08, 4:04 am
Planning ahead for meals is a true key in getting them when you need or want to have them. I am in the military and currently deployed to Iraq which makes it harder to eat healthy because i don't have the options that I would state side. But I just plan ahead here too. We get chix on the grill about twice a week so i get a to-go plate full of about ten to twelve pieces every time. Throw one on some whole grain bread with a half slice of Swiss, a banana, and a half cup of egg salad in a zip-lock toss it in your truck or rucksack and you are set even on missions. I did the same thing state side as well. Make my meals before I left for PT in the morning, and kept them in a cooler in my car at my battery. All day they were on hand for whenever I had a few minutes to wolf down a tuna wrap and apple sauce or what ever. I also found keeping some protein powder stashed somewhere in the car ended up helping out on several occasions when i was really in a pinch. Obviously my methods won't work the same for everyone, but the concept of preplanned meals will.

tommo637
10-03-08, 2:04 am
I agree with planning ahead I do it rigorously, but sometimes I have shifts where I might be working 6-7 hours with hardly even a toilet break (working as a bouncer in a busy nightclub). If anyone else finds themself in this position, I have found a slow release protein shake which apparently lasts for up to 7 hours of release time. So on top of my nuts and raisins in my pocket I down one of those crammed with oatmeal pre shift and then obviously have a meal ready for when I break. I have found this quite effective.

Young_Gun
11-13-08, 5:40 pm
What should we do (we as in high school students) to get the most out of lunch?

NPRamirez
11-17-08, 7:57 pm
Tuna is your best friend. Just carry a compact can opener and bring a couple cans. Sure, it's not pretty but bring a few saltine crackers if you can't get used to it right away.

B.C.
03-25-09, 6:27 am
What should we do (we as in high school students) to get the most out of lunch?

Pack your own.

Young_Gun
03-25-09, 11:13 am
Thats easier said than done trust me.

B.C.
03-25-09, 5:22 pm
Bodybuilding is easier said than done, brother.

mritter3
03-25-09, 5:25 pm
always plan ahead i try to make a meal schedule for at least 3 days in advance and do all my cooking the night before. it takes effort but worth it in the end

Young_Gun
03-25-09, 6:35 pm
Lately I've just been hittin up this chinese buffet by my house after school. I pretty much just go for the sushi and i always get fruit. Sushi is ridiculously expensive here in CA so for $10 i go all out lol.

C.Coronato
03-27-09, 10:19 am
Lately I've just been hittin up this chinese buffet by my house after school. I pretty much just go for the sushi and i always get fruit. Sushi is ridiculously expensive here in CA so for $10 i go all out lol.

Now thats heaven. 10$ .. as long as its still good grade, nice brother. Keep rockin.

Aggression
03-27-09, 10:24 am
always plan ahead i try to make a meal schedule for at least 3 days in advance and do all my cooking the night before. it takes effort but worth it in the end

^^ I do the same. I cook on Sundays and Wednesdays. For the most part, Sunday's foods will last me through Wednesday, at which point I come home from work and start cooking more for the next two work days. That way, on the other nights, I just come home and spend 10min weighing out the pre cooked food and putting them into containers for the next day.

Young_Gun
03-28-09, 3:06 pm
Now thats heaven. 10$ .. as long as its still good grade, nice brother. Keep rockin.

It is bro. They only carry four types like california roll, tuna roll, shrimp and rice, and california double roll. But its still good.

1BrickAt@Time
09-23-09, 4:21 am
The first & last week of my month im on graveyard 11pm to 7am
I eat a meal b4 work 3 at work & one when i get home then bed when i awake a shake

my 2nd week i work swing 3pm till 11pm
I eat 2meals at home 3meals at work & one meal when i get off

then my 3rd week of the month im on days 7am till 3pm
I will have a shake b4 work 3meals at work 1 when i get off and 2more meals at home

Furnell
02-22-10, 2:11 pm
I understand its hard depending on when you work.

princehellan
07-02-10, 9:16 am
This is been the most recent problem for the public who is been working Because in the office timings every one is busy with work so not able to spend the time for proper food.But its all depend upon us if we prepare our schedule fine that things can work better and we can get good meal.Its all time people need to plan for their better meals for both work and health is well.

B. Rowe
07-08-10, 9:03 pm
^^ I do the same. I cook on Sundays and Wednesdays. For the most part, Sunday's foods will last me through Wednesday, at which point I come home from work and start cooking more for the next two work days. That way, on the other nights, I just come home and spend 10min weighing out the pre cooked food and putting them into containers for the next day.

Sundays and Wednesday for me as well... cook up a bunch of chicken breast, and lean burgers, rice, sweet, and veggies. Portion them out and put them in tupperware, add my buffalo sauce on everything (cant function without it), and stack them in fridge. I travel into the city all day so i bring a few with me in a bag, no need to even heat them for me. Plus when you eat every 2-2.5 hours, by the time you need to eat and you have to prepare your food im already 20-30 past meal time, do that a few times a day and that equal to a skipped meal.

Ala Othman
10-21-10, 3:02 am
I bring supplements with me to work , to take it as a meal replacement

wakeforrest
11-08-10, 12:12 am
Well working at a suppliment store is where its at boys, get hungry..have a shake or a bar or a meal replacement haha. Its the shit, not to mention i get to try all the samples of everything so your pretty much wired for the shift ha.
Herdz

Hey that’s good to know ( about you )!! Though really how did this help the guy out?

Da Eclipse
12-17-10, 2:17 pm
Hey that’s good to know ( about you )!! Though really how did this help the guy out?

What's your point? Like the man said how is that helping out.... not every one's work place is the same and you still have to train on top of that. leave the advice for someone who does go through this and has a solution.

John B
08-17-12, 7:00 pm

Do the same . . . always cook enough for two or three days at a time. Cook most of my food on Sundays in between household chores and do extra cooking whenever I run out . . . usually Wednesday evening when my wife is chasing after my daughter. After working out early Am and doing an 8 hour work shift afterwards, not in a mood to do much of anything when I get home so keep the referigerator and shelves stocked with good, but easy to prepare foods. Takes planning but you do what you gotta do and have found that in the long run, I have more time to chill with my family.

RCAF
01-11-13, 2:54 pm
Bodybuilding is easier said than done, brother.

Legit

Aggression
01-11-13, 3:39 pm

I've since changed my approach a bit. Now I typically cook once a week in bulk on the weekend. I'll use the grill, oven, crock pot, etc. Whatever I feel like doing that weekend. I'll cook chicken breast and some type of red meat. Rice is easy when you have a rice cooker (great investment). And veggies are almost as easy as rice. Pair 'em all together, stack 'em in the fridge, and you're good. I usually put 3 day's worth in the fridge and then Thurs/Fri in the freezer, taking them out a day earlier to defrost. The only meal I cook on the same day would be my final meal, which is usually eggs.

Lately I've been buying ground beef and making burgers with 'em. Throw them in some rice and you're fine. With chicken, I've been buying whole chickens and cook them in the oven. I also buy random veggies and throw them in with chicken into the crock pot with one of those slow-cooker seasoning mixes and #boom, deliciousness.

Joe J
02-04-13, 10:23 am
Yo everyone, to all those who go to school so far, here's what I do.

I work in a school as a classroom assistant full time, whilst doing a degree, teaching the guitar and being fully dedicated to bodybuilding as well as having a full time girlfriend (you guys know what I mean) whom I also train and diet, and a band who gig every weekend and require at least one long rehearsal a week.

Needless to say my schedule doesn't allow for much time, if any.

PROTEIN:
I do all my shopping for the week of my protein sources on a sunday.

I cook ALL my chicken breast and lean ground beef for the week, separate into 6oz servings and freeze, so whenever I need them I pick them out of the freezer and throw them in the microwave for 2 minutes, easy.

FATS:
My fats all come from oil or in the red meat that I eat. Oil requires 0 time to prepare, just throw it on your shit.

CARBS:
I tend to buy all my carbs for the month in bulk which is easiest.

Oats... throw them in your shake and down em, easy
Rice... I throw a tonne in my rice cooker
Potato's... 6 minutes in the microwave, done.

To anyone who has a busy schedule and is unsure about whether they can get this shit done, you can. If the desire exists you will be able to accomplish anything no matter your situation.

Joe

shortstack
02-04-13, 11:57 am
I've since changed my approach a bit. Now I typically cook once a week in bulk on the weekend. I'll use the grill, oven, crock pot, etc. Whatever I feel like doing that weekend. I'll cook chicken breast and some type of red meat. Rice is easy when you have a rice cooker (great investment). And veggies are almost as easy as rice. Pair 'em all together, stack 'em in the fridge, and you're good. I usually put 3 day's worth in the fridge and then Thurs/Fri in the freezer, taking them out a day earlier to defrost. The only meal I cook on the same day would be my final meal, which is usually eggs.

Lately I've been buying ground beef and making burgers with 'em. Throw them in some rice and you're fine. With chicken, I've been buying whole chickens and cook them in the oven. I also buy random veggies and throw them in with chicken into the crock pot with one of those slow-cooker seasoning mixes and #boom, deliciousness.

I like this approach A.

For me, being on the phones is tough to get in meals so I've had to also throw in some shakes. Not ideal for me but not getting in anything is not acceptable. 3 scoops RG and 1 Scoop Ultra Iso whey does the trick for me.

cbass
04-09-13, 9:16 pm
I recently fell off the nutrition path for a few weeks and just kept eating out. Eating once a day. and it seemed like it spiraled out of control from there. I really dont know what caused this but just a few days ago I kinda kicked myself in the ass for letting things get that way. I told myself. "what do you need to do to get it done?" I looked and saw that I really have no excuse at all for having crappy eating habits. I decided to just simplify everything. Reading some of the posts here I cooked this past Sunday and have meals prepped until tomorrow. Tomorrow I will go food shopping again and pick up what ever I dont have so I may cook meals until Sunday. I think having a proper plan of attack and taking time to figure out what works for you helps out alot. I try and cook the most basic stuff bc I dont want to spend alot of time in the kitchen. All my meals are either chicken or steak. with rice or veggies. Simple

For everyone else. Do you guys try to switch up your meals or you keep it very basic with the same things day in and day out?

Merc_enary
04-10-13, 3:39 pm
I recently fell off the nutrition path for a few weeks and just kept eating out. Eating once a day. and it seemed like it spiraled out of control from there. I really dont know what caused this but just a few days ago I kinda kicked myself in the ass for letting things get that way. I told myself. "what do you need to do to get it done?" I looked and saw that I really have no excuse at all for having crappy eating habits. I decided to just simplify everything. Reading some of the posts here I cooked this past Sunday and have meals prepped until tomorrow. Tomorrow I will go food shopping again and pick up what ever I dont have so I may cook meals until Sunday. I think having a proper plan of attack and taking time to figure out what works for you helps out alot. I try and cook the most basic stuff bc I dont want to spend alot of time in the kitchen. All my meals are either chicken or steak. with rice or veggies. Simple

For everyone else. Do you guys try to switch up your meals or you keep it very basic with the same things day in and day out?

I hear you brother. In my case I will tell you i keep it stipid-simple. Rice and some type of grilled,baked meat. I will say it gets old with a quickness and there are many options but if youre like me on a time constraint all the time this is efficient. The rice cooks it self as so does the meats with little monitoring wchi in turn allows me to do things around the house when i get back from the gym.

Wrath
12-04-13, 10:17 am
Just need to make a lot of meals ahead of time Be prepared cook once a day or some people cock only once a week