PDA

View Full Version : Diet FAQ #10: How much carbs?

Animal Rep
05-25-07, 4:44 pm
Ok, you got your protein down. But what about carbs? If you're training heavy or for a show, try a carb intake at about 30% of your total caloric intake. So for example, if you’re eating 3000 calories, then this comes out to about 900 calories or 360 grams of carbs. The rest is from 60% protein and 10% fats. Now of course if you’re carb-sensitive, then you can always adjust from there but you need a starting point. If you are carb-sensitive and they make you hold excessive amounts of water, then you may need to deplete them a bit for a couple days. If you do deplete and it's only for a day or two, then it will not impact your strength. Any more then that and you may start to feel an energy loss. When I say deplete that does not mean go to zero. That means cut back over a period of a couple days, maybe to about half of what you normally eat. You may need to go to half for 4 days. Start playing with it now so you know what works for you and what doesn’t.

hardcoregue
02-29-08, 4:12 pm
Well,I think the best way is to consume 1.5g per pound but in some magayines I read for gaining mas you shoud take 3 to 4g of carbs per pound.Try and decide what's better for you...

arab910
03-02-08, 9:53 am
should we stay away from pasta? linguine, penne, etc.?

bovat
03-02-08, 12:07 pm
i think i read somewhere that the skinnier the pasta the better for you, so like angel hair is good, but like the big cylinder ones or shells, are not as good for you. Dont understand that AT ALL, but i did read it so im not making shit up. and there are whole grain pasta thats good for you

pmug0000
03-02-08, 12:29 pm
i think i read somewhere that the skinnier the pasta the better for you, so like angel hair is good, but like the big cylinder ones or shells, are not as good for you. Dont understand that AT ALL, but i did read it so im not making shit up. and there are whole grain pasta thats good for you

The width of the pasta makes absolutely no difference to it's nutritional value. Just think about it, and you should be able to realize for yourself that shape has no effect on nutritional value - it's all about the ingredients and the quantity you eat, not the shape.

arab910
03-02-08, 12:39 pm
so pastas in general are fine? granted, a whole wheat option is obviously healthier for you...but in general they're ok.

pmug0000
03-02-08, 12:43 pm
so pastas in general are fine? granted, a whole wheat option is obviously healthier for you...but in general they're ok.

I'd say it depends on you bro. For myself and a lot of people, pasta is not fine. Plenty of people like to stay low carb, or get their carbs from oatmeal and potatoes rather than the faster digesting carbs like rice and pasta.

But if you are bulking, and you are not carb sensitive, then pasta is a good option for you.

bovat
03-02-08, 1:06 pm
The width of the pasta makes absolutely no difference to it's nutritional value. Just think about it, and you should be able to realize for yourself that shape has no effect on nutritional value - it's all about the ingredients and the quantity you eat, not the shape.

thatd be why i said dont understand at all......just telling you what i read, not really as advice but more for throwing more on the topic of pasta. If it was in a mag, then doesnt it make you curious on the matter, even if it sounds like total bullshit.

And i dont want people thinking im fuckin retarded and that i believe that, just tellin you guys about it.

pmug0000
03-02-08, 1:38 pm
thatd be why i said dont understand at all......just telling you what i read, not really as advice but more for throwing more on the topic of pasta. If it was in a mag, then doesnt it make you curious on the matter, even if it sounds like total bullshit.

And i dont want people thinking im fuckin retarded and that i believe that, just tellin you guys about it.

If it was in a magazine, I'd use that article wipe my ass cause it's full of shit.

And yeah it does make me think. It makes me wonder who the hell would print a dumbass article like that, and who would believe it.

arab910
03-02-08, 1:56 pm
I'd say it depends on you bro. For myself and a lot of people, pasta is not fine. Plenty of people like to stay low carb, or get their carbs from oatmeal and potatoes rather than the faster digesting carbs like rice and pasta.

But if you are bulking, and you are not carb sensitive, then pasta is a good option for you.

see thats the thing. just getting started out, i find it hard to differentiate between being carb senstive or NOT carb sensitive...what carbs are OK, ones i should stay away from, etc.?

any basic knowledge someone would like to share is much appreciated

pmug0000
03-02-08, 2:17 pm
see thats the thing. just getting started out, i find it hard to differentiate between being carb senstive or NOT carb sensitive...what carbs are OK, ones i should stay away from, etc.?

any basic knowledge someone would like to share is much appreciated

Sorry dude, some things you need to figure out for yourself. No one else knows what works best for your body.
If it helps, I have learned that my body responds best to carbs like oatmeal and other whole grains, and once in a while sweet potatoes, but I avoid bread, pasta, and rice.
You need to figure out what works for you by trial and error.

LegendKillerJosh
03-05-08, 11:03 am
Ok, you got your protein down. But what about carbs? If you're training heavy or for a show, try a carb intake at about 30% of your total caloric intake. So for example, if you’re eating 3000 calories, then this comes out to about 900 calories or 360 grams of carbs. The rest is from 60% protein and 10% fats. Now of course if you’re carb-sensitive, then you can always adjust from there but you need a starting point. If you are carb-sensitive and they make you hold excessive amounts of water, then you may need to deplete them a bit for a couple days. If you do deplete and it's only for a day or two, then it will not impact your strength. Any more then that and you may start to feel an energy loss. When I say deplete that does not mean go to zero. That means cut back over a period of a couple days, maybe to about half of what you normally eat. You may need to go to half for 4 days. Start playing with it now so you know what works for you and what doesn’t.

Hate to say, but these calculations are off. If you eat 360g carbs, that is 1440 calories, which be almost 50% of 3000 calories. I can't believe no one has noticed this yet.

simpleguy
03-05-08, 2:50 pm
Hate to say, but these calculations are off. If you eat 360g carbs, that is 1440 calories, which be almost 50% of 3000 calories. I can't believe no one has noticed this yet.

I had noticed before as well

Bull26187
07-18-08, 12:37 pm
I am wondering if anyone has any takes on cycling my carbs, almost bring my body into ketosis. I have heard that it works, but I still want energy to lift.

simpleguy
07-18-08, 12:47 pm
I am wondering if anyone has any takes on cycling my carbs, almost bring my body into ketosis. I have heard that it works, but I still want energy to lift.

actually in ketosis you have more energy then on low-carbs... because ketones are an unlimited source of fuel... whilst on low-carbs, carbs are still your fuel source, but you are low on fuel

abosmad85
03-24-10, 11:07 pm
for each of your 5-7 meals => 2/3 carbs and 1/3 proteins

but it is not only HOW MUCH CARBS you should think about ... eating healthy food is your Gold rule

i don't care if you are doing ketosis or eating 2g carbs for each lb , if you wona know how much carbs you should take you will see a 1 000 000 answer , so what should you do ?

1.eat whole grain carbs - no sweeteners or white flour products .
2.don't eat carbs with 2 hours before you sleep at night ( cz insulin inhibits growth hormone )

berserk
04-30-10, 11:04 pm

and what about if someone is doing diat of 40% protein 50% carbs and 10% fat.

is that wrong?

princyroger
08-14-10, 6:34 am
Carbohydrates in your diet, but is also part of your diet that needs moderation, especially if you're active. People often confuse a diet low in carbohydrates.Taking 30-60g of carbohydrates per hour after first hour will help you improve your strength and endurance.

jupiterpitter
08-25-10, 2:47 am
Carbs is very good for health in that there is more vitamin, protein which make us fit for that we have to take daily 500 gram carbs and it is very compulsory to know when and how we have to eat.Eat whole grain carbs - no sweeteners or white flour products and.don't eat carbs with 2 hours before you sleep at night .

Zieben
09-14-10, 10:20 pm
Is there a specific reason that the carb-to-protein ratio is always in favor of the carbs? I've been at this seriously for only about 3 months, and I bounce back and forth deciding whether or not I should consume more carbs than proteins, or less-to-none. I'm being informed by several friends, magazine exposure, and random posts on here. Can anyone please help clarify, or is this more under the general umbrella of "it all depends on your body"?

Aleph
11-02-10, 2:30 pm
Is there a specific reason that the carb-to-protein ratio is always in favor of the carbs? I've been at this seriously for only about 3 months, and I bounce back and forth deciding whether or not I should consume more carbs than proteins, or less-to-none. I'm being informed by several friends, magazine exposure, and random posts on here. Can anyone please help clarify, or is this more under the general umbrella of "it all depends on your body"?

depends on what you're trying to accomplish. My feeling is that SOME carbs are always good. It works for me anyway. If you are trying to bulk up obviously you want more carbs, cut down.. you want less. I just started HRT and am following the HRT diet (1.5-2g protein per lb of body weight [minus fat], 2g carbs per pound of body weight [minus fat]) and this puts me at about 41% protein, 46% carbs, and 13% fat. The fat comes completely from the ground beef, chicken, and ground turkey I am eating, and I feel like this is a good balance. This is my first time really eating to bulk so we'll see. When I start to cut I am going to cycle between 50,100, and 150g per day of carbs and maintain protein intake. Best piece of advice I can offer is to figure out what you are trying to accomplish (gain vs. lose) then start reading the articles in the diet section. They've been a huge help for me.

NVRAGAIN
11-21-10, 7:50 pm

Cycling carbs is for losing fat. So if you are trying to gain that would not be beneficial. Also with carb cycling you can not bring yourself into ketosis without any aids. Ketosis takes three to four days to reach, and for some even a full week. Most people cycle high for a day, medium for a day, followed by two to four days of low to zero carbs. It is a start to ketosis but soon as you go back to your high day you will be out before you ever get a chance to lose any serious fat. I don't want to make any judgments on your experience levels, but a ketogenic diet can be very dangerous. Too much protein and not enough carbs can cause serious kidney damage and even have you hospitalized. It happened to two people that did a local show working with a self proclaimed diet guru with obviously not very much knowledge. If you do chose a keto diet make sure you most of your calories are from fats not proteins, or you will end up with some issues. I have went keto before to lose body fat, but honestly do just as well with low carbs. However I have never dieted down for a show yet or been leaner then 9%, which is where most people start working into ketosis to cut the last bit for a show.

its Lbc
04-18-11, 12:41 am

Bull what is your ultimate goal if you dont mind me asking ?

skibasgym
03-30-13, 1:46 pm
Carbs are very tricky for me, mainly because I love them. I think the best advice given on this thread is to focus on eating healthy when deciding what carbs to eat.