PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Taylors

Joe.
01-18-07, 1:42 am
I noticed Chuck Taylors are common in everyone elses gym bag.

I haven't seen anyone else in my gym wear them other than me. And I get weird looks when I'm wearin mine as I work out. Its as if I'm expected to conform to what everyone else is wearin.

Feels great to be different. Keeps me goin.

What made you pick these over a fancier pair of shoes? Nostalgia? Feel free to share a story.

Greg_G
01-18-07, 1:46 am
I have had this pair of Nike Shocks for about 2 years. Just never had a reason to stop wearing them, I like them... All black, nothing fancy...
I do however like Chuck Taylors ;)

Big Jawn
01-18-07, 1:48 am

I haven't seen anyone else in my gym wear them other than me. And I get weird looks when I'm wearin mine as I work out. Its as if I'm expected to conform to what everyone else is wearin.

What made you pick these over a fancier pair of shoes? Nostalgia? Feel free to share a story.

Edmonton eh? Where do you workout?

Alot of powerlifters use them because the flat sole/ankle support are great for squatting and benching.

Joe.
01-18-07, 2:35 am
WHC Southside

Yeah i find em comfortable, they feel more natural for me

One

abwowang
01-18-07, 3:22 am
i like wearing a pair of shoes where i can also run with. I just feel like chucks are more of a walking around/casual shoe.

i stick to my air max 2003s.

T.Alan
01-18-07, 3:27 am
Funny you mention the Chucks. Squatting in anything else feels foreign to me now. I wear low tops.. all black. They are wide enough for my feet and provide a great flat, stable surface for lifting.

dIdDy
01-18-07, 5:17 am
Sometimes I forget my shoes and when I go train after work I have to wear my combat boots (i'm military)

I love it

BigAnt
01-18-07, 6:00 am
Yeah the low soles of the Chucks are good for deads...I prefer Nike Shox...

Rotlex
01-18-07, 12:15 pm
Love my chucks, but love my Nike Free Trainers even more. Almost a flat sole, no "cushion\shox" that take away from squats and deads, and really comfortable.

On a side note, does anyone thing 35-40 bucks is freakin' stupid for a pair of canvas "chucks"? Don't get me wrong, I own two pair, but eh, they should really be more in the $20 dollar range, hehe.

Big Jawn
01-18-07, 3:49 pm
Love my chucks, but love my Nike Free Trainers even more. Almost a flat sole, no "cushion\shox" that take away from squats and deads, and really comfortable.

On a side note, does anyone thing 35-40 bucks is freakin' stupid for a pair of canvas "chucks"? Don't get me wrong, I own two pair, but eh, they should really be more in the $20 dollar range, hehe.

I think we should all be thankful that we can wear a 40 dollar pair of shoes and not be made fun of.

Phil800101
01-18-07, 3:54 pm

I agree. I love Chuck Taylor's, but they have gotten kinda pricey for what they are, especially considering the fact that they used to go for about $25-$30 a pair a few years ago.

GFH1911
01-18-07, 4:09 pm
I squat in Adidas Sambas because I'm not a huge fan of Chucks but they still have a flat sole thats low to the ground. I use them on squat and pull days only though.

I've found that when I'm front squatting or doing deep close stance squats, I like a shoe with a slight raise in the heel so I just use an old ass pair of Nikes. I've been meaning to check out the Nike Frees as I've heard good things about them.

Curos
01-18-07, 7:17 pm
I wear Nike Free's...got mixed feelings about them. They feel great for everything from running to lifting, my only complaint is that my feet slide a little when doing Leg Press. Besides that, I love em.

Buck Nasty
01-19-07, 1:07 am
i like wearing a pair of shoes where i can also run with. I just feel like chucks are more of a walking around/casual shoe.

i stick to my air max 2003s.

Man i know where your coming from cuz i cross train for wrestling but bring 2 pairs of kicks. youll feel better in the long run. i ONLY wear my chucks for lifting and when i gotta run i go with my runnin shoes.

I have had this pair of Nike Shocks for about 2 years. Just never had a reason to stop wearing them, I like them... All black, nothing fancy...
I do however like Chuck Taylors ;)

greg, you gotta try a flat bottom pair of chucks. the shocks give when i squat reall bad. i even notice it on most running shoes cuz of the soft foam soles. plus the crushing of the sole puts more stress on the knees and lower back.

Just my opinion, dont mean shit really...

Rotlex
01-19-07, 5:18 am
I think we should all be thankful that we can wear a 40 dollar pair of shoes and not be made fun of.

LOL, absolutely!

big stew
01-19-07, 10:15 am
Man i know where your coming from cuz i cross train for wrestling but bring 2 pairs of kicks. youll feel better in the long run. i ONLY wear my chucks for lifting and when i gotta run i go with my runnin shoes.

greg, you gotta try a flat bottom pair of chucks. the shocks give when i squat reall bad. i even notice it on most running shoes cuz of the soft foam soles. plus the crushing of the sole puts more stress on the knees and lower back.

Just my opinion, dont mean shit really...

Definetly agree with this statement. Me and my lifting partner always squatted with shox, and you don't really notice how much your ankles roll with these until you watch someone elses ankles while they squat. Pretty scary. We have switched off between Chuckie T's and wrestling shoes ever since.

01-19-07, 9:20 pm
When I train I usually wear nike shox, when Im doing atlas stones, tire flips, and other "powerlifting" excercises I wear wrestleing shoes...never thought of wearing Chuck T's ill keep that in mind.

"6"
01-20-07, 11:49 am
Yea, I wear mine to the gym. Blue high-tops. In my gym, there's only one other guy that wears them, an old bodybuilder who's still as big as a horse, and can bicep curl what I bench. Good company there.

TheDeliverator
01-20-07, 11:58 am
If you're a full or Olympic squatter, Chuck's (or another flat-soled shoe) may not be your best bet.

Chuck's are great for powerlifting, thin sole means better leverage for a deadlift, and the flat bottom coupled with the sewn in sides means you can sit back and engage the hips, hamstrings and glutes.

We (IG) either squat in Chuck's or METAL squat shoes.

But, don't jump on the bandwagon without first figuring out what type of shoe is really your best bet.

karthik
01-21-07, 5:14 pm
If you're a full or Olympic squatter, Chuck's (or another flat-soled shoe) may not be your best bet.

Chuck's are great for powerlifting, thin sole means better leverage for a deadlift, and the flat bottom coupled with the sewn in sides means you can sit back and engage the hips, hamstrings and glutes.

We (IG) either squat in Chuck's or METAL squat shoes.

But, don't jump on the bandwagon without first figuring out what type of shoe is really your best bet.

interesting concept since i do full squats right now what type of shoe would you recommend?

TheDeliverator
01-21-07, 5:19 pm
A heel, honestly, there are two shoes I recommend for any squatting...

Chucks/METAL squat shoes for powerlifting squats.

Or,

Platform shoes (Olympic lifting shoes) for full squats. They have a solid heel and are perfect for close or full squats. Any other shoe that has a heel is soft, squishy, and won't support you the way you need.

maddawg
01-21-07, 9:35 pm
The best gym shoes i own are some chuck taylors. comfortable, flat souls and nobody else has got them on.

Simps
01-22-07, 2:12 am
Chucks all the way.

hscrugger
01-23-07, 4:25 pm
i'm so stoked - i just got my sailor jerry chucks in the mail and i've got legs day thursday. kick ass.

brennan

ghost
01-23-07, 4:28 pm

um....i wear my jungle boots when i lift most of the time....best grip in the world if you ask me.

kooldudejm84
01-23-07, 4:34 pm
i usually use my shox...can you tell a big difference when using chucks to squat?

RowdyRobby
01-23-07, 4:39 pm
I used to wear shoxs also but they definatly compress when doing squats, so I started squating bear foot which I prefer however most gyms dont dig it. if you work out early or late though you might be able to get away it (most guys in the gym dont even know where the squat rack is) The chuck is the best alternitive I think. plus its so low tech, when you see other dudes wearin them you know they are there for serious work! on another note I think the price went up because they got popular in the last couple years.

Big Jawn
01-23-07, 7:42 pm
i usually use my shox...can you tell a big difference when using chucks to squat?

Not just chucks but any flat soled or flat soled with a raised heeled shoe, will help keep you on the balls of your feet and allows for a better squat, IMO. All powerlifting squat shoes are completly flat soled.

I used to wear shoxs also but they definatly compress when doing squats, so I started squating bear foot which I prefer however most gyms dont dig it. if you work out early or late though you might be able to get away it (most guys in the gym dont even know where the squat rack is) The chuck is the best alternitive I think. plus its so low tech, when you see other dudes wearin them you know they are there for serious work! on another note I think the price went up because they got popular in the last couple years.

Bare foot isn't the best option, it leaves your ankles prone to injury, and depending on your foot/arch structure it may be just like wearing running shoes. You better off wearing a flat soled shoe.

I reccomend in order of best to worst:
-Squat shoes with ankle support, and elevated heel
-Squat shoes with elevated heel
-Olympic lifting shoes
-Chucks
-Work/Combat boots
-Flat soled court or casual shoe (Adidas makes alot of these)
-Bare foot
-Anything else

SAMSON
01-26-07, 6:37 pm
i keep my all black chucks in my gym bag and break them out every leg and back day. got the idea from another PL site a while ago and i wont squat or dead without them ever again.

M60
01-26-07, 8:02 pm
I wear chucks too, but they aint very comfortable when I'm doing leg presses. My feet slip all over the place.

deeder
01-26-07, 9:25 pm
Not just chucks but any flat soled or flat soled with a raised heeled shoe, will help keep you on the balls of your feet and allows for a better squat, IMO. All powerlifting squat shoes are completly flat soled.

Bare foot isn't the best option, it leaves your ankles prone to injury, and depending on your foot/arch structure it may be just like wearing running shoes. You better off wearing a flat soled shoe.

I reccomend in order of best to worst:
-Squat shoes with ankle support, and elevated heel
-Squat shoes with elevated heel
-Olympic lifting shoes
-Chucks
-Work/Combat boots
-Flat soled court or casual shoe (Adidas makes alot of these)
-Bare foot
-Anything else

I don't know if you can say that elevated heels are the best. It depends on your style of squat. Narrow stance squatters are better served by an elevated heel whereas wide/sumo squatters benefit more from a flat sole.

As I side note, I love my Chucks!

Hatred
01-26-07, 9:45 pm
My feet are too wide for chucks unfortunately. Tactical swat boots . :)

Hoops
01-27-07, 1:43 am

For squating you NEED flat soles. So you've got fairly expensive squating shoes, air force ones, or chucks from what I've seen. I personaly think they look awful....

Naturally Huge
01-30-07, 11:18 pm
I wear Chuck's on leg and back day for squats and deads. I get weird looks too, especially since they are attached to big fuckin' legs.

Gambit
01-31-07, 12:44 am
I've never owned a pair of chucks, but I got a pair of Vans classics that are basically just low-cut chucks. I love wearing them working out, especially leg day (it feels like I get a bigger stretch in my hams) and any day I do calves (4 days/wk). On top of that, they're fucking red. Red as a fire engine. I look like a fucking clown in the things but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm just WAITING for a day when some know-it-all punk says something...

Big Jawn
01-31-07, 12:54 am
I don't know if you can say that elevated heels are the best. It depends on your style of squat. Narrow stance squatters are better served by an elevated heel whereas wide/sumo squatters benefit more from a flat sole.

As I side note, I love my Chucks!

Correct, I wasn't thinking of a super wide stance when I wrote the other post. Most IPA, WPC/WPO lifters will use Chucks or similar thin/flat soled shoes with good ankle support.

Joe.
01-31-07, 3:18 pm
Holy shit this forum is still goin eh? Nice

H Bomb
02-05-07, 4:29 pm
Man I love my Chuck Taylors! I used to wear every thing from different boots to gym shoes, until I read an article on wearing fllat soled shoes for better balance and stability. They are all I wear to the gym now, because all my workouts have improved since I have been wearing them. They seem to have excellent grip on the floor especially for squats, deads, and other movements that require stability. Just don't wear pink ones unless you are a female.

DblBassTed
02-08-07, 12:51 pm
Plain black Chucks. Well, unless I actually have to walk or run... then they feel awful. Plus, it's like a fraternity... See a guy belting up and wearing Chucks? Nod and walk on, cause he knows what you know.

ryanlemley1
02-09-07, 1:50 pm
i train in my asics wrestling shoes, even though i've never wrestled. flat sole, light, and great support in the ankles. really allow for me to get where i need to be when i squat and deadlift. i love them...get asked about it all the gym when i'm training....people think i'm crazy. anyone know many people that train in the otomix shoes anymore? don't see too many things on them.

ultimatefighter
02-09-07, 3:59 pm
I train barefoot. After reading this thread, I might wear my wrestling shoes tonight when I squat.

WeaponX
02-09-07, 4:07 pm
Hey fellas,
I use high top basketball shoes when I train, or my low top jordans, I dont know, just never felt comfortable in anything else, and I havent seen a real problem with my lifts, coul just be personal preference though

Rampage
02-09-07, 4:17 pm
sc= sean carters uve gotta tie'em up then strap them in goin to war folks.

Lawnmower Man
02-10-07, 4:14 pm
i got an old pair of chucks laying around. i guess next time i go to the gym i will have to get them out

ldskenpo
02-25-07, 2:46 pm
i am an infantryman, so the heels of my boots get worn down pretty quickly, so i dont use them unless i have to, I have bad joints so I have to protect my running shoes for the morning runs, so I use my wrestling shoes for legs and deadlifts. Also, i feel it better in my calves when I use wrestling shoes .

xxhammerxx
02-25-07, 2:56 pm
In all honesty I have never wrestled but I own a pair of adidas wrestling shoes and they work really well for me, I use them every training session but I got them for olympic lifts and squat.

spartan300
02-25-07, 3:00 pm

I wore them because I didn't have much of a choice. HMMM, let me see pf flyers or chuck taylors? Decisions,decisions.

sjchris408
02-26-07, 2:32 am
I used to wear anything from casual tennis shoes to running shoes to basketball shoes to the gym. I've stepped my game up lately with my lifts so I've been wearing Aasic Wrestling shoes for legs and back days, I've had them since high school wrestling. They work really well, they are flat and have a nice grip. The only problem is when I do leg presses they dont give a lot of comfort to my feet, but I think Wrath said it best "Bodybuilding is all about sacrifices".

mgmmaze
02-26-07, 7:08 pm
I read a article on here that the Lad wrote he talks about deadlifting with wrestling shoes on. hey i think almost the same as the chucks go figure. might actuly have to try that out

jon_carter13
08-24-09, 5:51 pm
I just found out that Converse let's you custom order Chuck Taylors. Made an order today. Got the all-leather high-tops. I can't wait to get home and use them. Here's the link: http://www.converse.com/#/products/shoes/converseone/builder/chuTayHiLea0901,,,184357059 Got RARE BREED on the heel tag so everyone in the gym knows who they're dealin' with... haha.

Beach91
08-24-09, 6:13 pm
I prefer them for heavier lifts, squats and deads, i find doing these lifts with a flat sole is much more productive.

as for custom chucks, maybe Animal should do a cross promo with converse?

HeavyG
08-24-09, 6:14 pm
I just found out that Converse let's you custom order Chuck Taylors. Made an order today. Got the all-leather high-tops. I can't wait to get home and use them. Here's the link: http://www.converse.com/#/products/shoes/converseone/builder/chuTayHiLea0901,,,184357059 Got RARE BREED on the heel tag so everyone in the gym knows who they're dealin' with... haha.

OHH Can get all black with a red stripe and tongue!! That should get some looks

jon_carter13
08-24-09, 8:19 pm
I prefer them for heavier lifts, squats and deads, i find doing these lifts with a flat sole is much more productive.

as for custom chucks, maybe Animal should do a cross promo with converse?

Even if Animal came out with a patch, I'd sew that bitch on my Chucks...LMAO.

belladiabla13
08-24-09, 11:31 pm

I am a huge fan of Chuck Taylors and I own several pairs but I have this pair of black & pink Vans that are great for leg day. I have had them like 2 years now and will not give them up.

whitfieldjunior
08-25-09, 9:50 pm
I read a article on here that the Lad wrote he talks about deadlifting with wrestling shoes on. hey i think almost the same as the chucks go figure. might actuly have to try that out

Chucks are classics, I have a pair of all black ( including the sole ) suede ones with my initials on the back in gray. But I wear asics matflex (http://www.thewrestlingtalk.com/catalog/images/4998-440349-p.jpg) to the gym religiously ( I was a wrestler in high school ). I have only owned 2 pairs over the past 9 years ( I just bought the new pair last month ). They are the greatest IMO.

BryanSmash!
08-26-09, 1:19 am
my first pair of Chuck's way back in the 80s. They were bright yellow on one side and pink or blaze orange on the other. I wrote all over the rubber parts too, as was the style back then. Yeah, I was THAT cool lol.
For deads and squats, I bought an old pair of wrestling shoes from a second hand sports store that work really well. Cost about twenty bucks I think.