PDA

View Full Version : Sauna

Seifer
05-29-07, 12:17 pm
My gym has a sauna, 2 actually, one for women , one for men.

I been in one a long time ago while on vacation in the mountains, but whats the point, from a bodybuilders standpoint, on having a sauna in a gym?

(if its waterweight ... wth, just drink more water to loose waterweight)

naturalguy
05-29-07, 12:26 pm
Sauna provides heat which can loosen muscles and help heal some injuries. It can also help get rid of water retention.

violator
05-30-07, 3:51 am
yo,

Saunas r great!, they help release tension from ur body and loosen up ur muscles, think of it as a giant all-body heat pack & its great for ur skin 2.
I used to sauna after evry workout, that was until one sunday when i stepped in & some dude was rubbing and grinding away at the callouses on his feet with a file and a big bottle of foot cream-lovely.Havent been back in it since.
so if ur keen on a sauna, respect other mothafuckas & shower before u enter & remember to wear sandals(in the shower & sauna) or ull most probably end up with a lovely foot fungus gnawing away at ur toes.

peace

born0withno0soul
05-30-07, 3:56 am
i like to use them to warm up for my workout sometimes.

never_2_big
05-30-07, 6:39 am
saunas are ok to use as long as you keep your fluids up, and if your diet is in check there shiuld be no problem. however for the ones who do not drink enough water spending time in a sauna can lead to serious dehydration...

my gym has steam rooms instead, these use a wet heat rather than a dry heat, i feel my muscles recover better in this environment rather than in the sauna, the chance of the heat drying your skin out is much less as well as the risk of dehydration...

but give it a try, you'll love it

mjsef88
05-30-07, 7:00 am
I have Finn heratige (for you who dont know, the inventors of the sauna). I love it. members of my family have the non-electric saunas and they are amazing. Since i live in the 'burbs we dont really have anywhere to put a sauna, so i make due with the one at my gym (electric, common in almost every gym). If you're sore, go in on a rest day and just stretch out, use machines at like 10-20 lbs to assist stretching, then hit the sauna.

EastonH
05-30-07, 4:16 pm
I have Finn heratige (for you who dont know, the inventors of the sauna). I love it. members of my family have the non-electric saunas and they are amazing. Since i live in the 'burbs we dont really have anywhere to put a sauna, so i make due with the one at my gym (electric, common in almost every gym). If you're sore, go in on a rest day and just stretch out, use machines at like 10-20 lbs to assist stretching, then hit the sauna.

I know mate, i have lived in Finland for all my life. The way i see it: after a good work out there is nothing better than going to a sauna. One of my gym buddys told me it releases endorphines or someshit and that is what makes you feel great afterwards.

Soldier
05-31-07, 10:03 pm
I've usally sat in the steam room after a tough workout, helps me relax a bit

SolidTongan
11-26-07, 7:34 pm
I guess this would be posted here. Do any of you hit the sauna after your workouts? Does it help when cuttin'? What are the reasons that people would go into the sauna in the 1st place? Does it help with anything? I read somewhere that the heat is good to open up blood vessels so that the supplements you are takin' can get delivered much more efficiently to the muscles. Is this true?

Pizzalamp
11-26-07, 7:55 pm
i hit the sauana or steam room after a workout sometimes
very relaxing
opens my pores and makes my muscles feel good
never heard the thing bout the supps u said though

Mr.Hardcore98
11-26-07, 8:51 pm
same here i never heard the supp thing but if your cutting its good for the pores and gets fid of water for more definition

Cstlfx
11-26-07, 8:57 pm
Japanese scientists have published studies that say being in a sauna or steam room help increase muscle production by a little bit. Its also a great way to relax.

It only helps for cutting weight for a little bit. It gets rid of water weight, then as soon as you drink something, it comes right back. Not a great way to lose the weight.

lionmanlionman
11-26-07, 8:57 pm
I hit the sauna sometimes after a work out. it does relax me and i feel much better when i do. I have never heard of the supp thing, but i did read somewhere ( not sure what article it was ) but i read that it helps your body make more growth hormone naturally ( if you sit in for about 20 minutes ) not sure if this is true but it does make feel better so i do it for this reason.

SolidTongan
11-27-07, 9:18 pm
I hit the sauna sometimes after a work out. it does relax me and i feel much better when i do. I have never heard of the supp thing, but i did read somewhere ( not sure what article it was ) but i read that it helps your body make more growth hormone naturally ( if you sit in for about 20 minutes ) not sure if this is true but it does make feel better so i do it for this reason.

We might have read that same article...wuz it Muscle and Fitness?

SolidTongan
11-27-07, 9:21 pm
same here i never heard the supp thing but if your cutting its good for the pores and gets fid of water for more definition

I believe I read it in the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness...somethin' 'bout the top 50 greatest discoveries in BB. It also said to do intervals while in the shower. For instance, for 2 minutes, run cold water, then 2 minutes of warm water...and so on. It says the cold makes the veins contract and the warm water makes the veins expand, somewhat creatin' a pumpin' action.

SolidTongan
12-02-07, 6:15 pm
Are there any other benefits to hittin' the sauna?

Elite
12-02-07, 6:19 pm
I use the 1st 10 mins to stretch out the muscle groups i'd been workin and the second 10 for a wind down. Makes walkin up the two floors of stairs out the gym a hella lot easier after leg day...

SolidTongan
12-02-07, 6:24 pm
That's useful info...thanks! Anythin' that makes walkin' up stairs after leg day is worth jottin' down.

LegendKillerJosh
12-02-07, 6:54 pm
I think it's more important to slam your shake after a workout not sit in the sauna lol. Actually I guess it's just to relax, not sure what kind of benefits sitting in hell does for you.

srb3189
12-02-07, 7:34 pm
I love the sauna but I get grossed out in mine cause all the old men seem to think its a clothing optional (no towel) sauna.

SolidTongan
12-03-07, 6:04 pm
I think it's more important to slam your shake after a workout not sit in the sauna lol. Actually I guess it's just to relax, not sure what kind of benefits sitting in hell does for you.

I've actually tried it out lately. I feel that the soreness isn't as severe as it would be...that my muscles are repairin' themselves much better. I still slam down my postworkout shake...but now I follow it up with the sauna as well.

daninarmy
12-03-07, 6:52 pm
i agree i dont think the sorness is so bad after sitting in the sauna

gflash77
12-03-07, 8:17 pm
I love the sauna but I get grossed out in mine cause all the old men seem to think its a clothing optional (no towel) sauna.

I have that same problem...a little disrespectful if you ask me.

I use the sauna mainly to stretch muscles and relax. It's great to sometimes get away from everything. I find it to be very quiet in there as well, a place where I can think or clear my head...for a short while.

Testpolska
12-03-07, 8:28 pm
Japanese scientists have published studies that say being in a sauna or steam room help increase muscle production by a little bit. Its also a great way to relax.

It only helps for cutting weight for a little bit. It gets rid of water weight, then as soon as you drink something, it comes right back. Not a great way to lose the weight.

I have heard this as well it has something to do with the heat shocking some sort of protein in your body. Not sure of the specifics but who doesen't like to relax in a nice hot steamy sauna? I'd do it every chance I got.

Hellreaver
12-04-07, 3:37 am
Well, whether or not the sauna is effective for a little extra help in growing, the main use is for ridding the body of excess water weight. As said before, as soon as you drink something, the water will come back. So what is the use? Well, it is very effective for boxers and professional fighters, who must make a certain weight on a certain day. Cutting a little extra water weight can mean a difference of a few lbs. It is also used sometimes in bodybuilding before a competition to get all the excess water weight out. The most effective method of ridding the body of excess water weight....is drinking more water. The more water you drink, the more it is flushed out because it is constantly being replaced. That's why many bodybuilders drink tons of water everyday (which everyone should be doing!) and then prior to a competition, they will stop drinking water, so that the excess is flushed and no new water is taken in. Make sense, fellas?

ayassin
12-04-07, 9:40 am
yea the sauna gets rid of water weight cause you sweat so much, but when you sweat you also get rid of the salt in your body and when you drink water you are not putting that back into your body, cause water doesnt have sodium. so if your trying to cut and look more defined watch your the amount of sodium in your diet and sit in the sauna to get rid of even more. the less water your body retains the more cut you will look.

JPOOV0224
01-14-08, 5:07 pm
I just started to going to a new golds and they have a suana. I see a lot of people use it but is it worth it. will it help with my shoulder?

Pizzalamp
01-14-08, 5:19 pm
I just started to going to a new golds and they have a suana. I see a lot of people use it but is it worth it. will it help with my shoulder?

what happened to your shoulder?

i use the sauna sometimes though i prefer the steam room-so steamy i cant see my hands

i find the sauna or steam room feels great if i have sore muscles after a workout

or sometimes id do sauna then cold shower then sauna again then finish off w/ another cold shower

Toni69
01-14-08, 5:23 pm
I actually use the sauna post wo pretty often..it relaxes me. I have fallen asleep in there too! I love the sauna...but if someone else is in there, I wait till they leave before I go inside...its a weird thing I have..one of my OCD issues..LOL

Love the sauna..dont know how much it will help an injury. I just like it cause it relaxes my stressed muscles when Im done training.

GJN5002
01-14-08, 11:03 pm
it can help to warm up your muscles preworkout. just make sure you drink more water if you sit in there for an extented amount of time.

daninarmy
01-14-08, 11:58 pm
I love it totally relaxes you after a workout

daninarmy
08-22-08, 11:16 pm
How many of you sit in the sauna after a workout. Does it help? I like taking 20 min in the sauna I think it helps me recover I am not as sore if I sit in there.

What do you think let us know.

miketyson789
08-23-08, 12:19 am
i dunno about saunas but i often sit in a hot tub after workouts i read that its supposed to help recovery

Cstlfx
08-23-08, 11:15 am
I love a sauna, I think it helps bring blood everywhere. But, I have no evidence to back that up.

Big thing though, you must keep a jug of water to keep yourself properly hydrated. Being dehydrated wont do your body any good.

PullinDeads
08-23-08, 4:35 pm
As long as you keep the water with ya, the sauna is great. great to open up pores too.

mritter3
08-23-08, 6:02 pm
just stay hydrated and i think saunas are ok.

WeeMan
08-24-08, 8:53 am
yeah good for ur skin specially if your going on stage.

Ady
08-24-08, 1:14 pm
Yea helps loads especially after a punishing leg routine, steam room is pretty good aswell if you have access to one. Both are awesome for cleaning out the pores before shows.

Hola Bola
08-24-08, 1:19 pm
No sauna at my gym... I wish they had one though.

Joe_clay
08-26-08, 11:27 am
i use the steam room or sauna after every workout. i have my protein shake in there (nothing like a warm protein shake! ha)

Liv2ride
08-28-08, 1:41 pm
I read up somewhere that you should avoid sauna's and steam rooms because it disrupts the natural body warming process.. Anyways, another thing I've found about a nice sauna "session" after a good workout, is that, if youve ever bought shitty flavour of protein, heres the place to down it.. in the sauna.. ANY protein, tastes good.. trust me on this one, i've tried some pretty grusom flavors and theirs something about the heat that just makes it tasteless almost lol..

Louie
10-31-09, 8:46 pm
Does anyone know if a sauna is a good idea after training/ If so how long and why? Thank you.

Louie

xMATT182x
11-01-09, 1:49 am
Does anyone know if a sauna is a good idea after training/ If so how long and why? Thank you.

Louie

I'm sure they have their benefits in moderation. Just make sure you stay hydrated.

Louie
11-01-09, 7:06 am
I was told drink 2 to 4 glasses of water after comming out of a sauna for 20 minutes.

desolation
11-01-09, 6:57 pm
i usually just go in for a couple minutes with a bottle of water, but u definetly dont want to been in there too long because u will start losing too much water

Littlefry
11-01-09, 7:34 pm
i usually just go in for a couple minutes with a bottle of water, but u definetly dont want to been in there too long because u will start losing too much water

True, I use the sauna when Im cutting, but I still rehydrate right after Im done, it helps with DOMs and muscle soreness.

boar
11-01-09, 7:38 pm

Louie

It depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to cut it will raise your core body temperature and will make you lose water weight.

I use the sauna as a method to cut weight for contests. There is no real training benefit from doing the sauna. it can actually be a detriment if you do not rehydrate properly.

BubbyLight
11-02-09, 7:37 am
sauna. the only reason i would go back to my other gym.

arab910
11-02-09, 12:16 pm
saunas are ok to use as long as you keep your fluids up, and if your diet is in check there shiuld be no problem. however for the ones who do not drink enough water spending time in a sauna can lead to serious dehydration...

my gym has steam rooms instead, these use a wet heat rather than a dry heat, i feel my muscles recover better in this environment rather than in the sauna, the chance of the heat drying your skin out is much less as well as the risk of dehydration...

but give it a try, you'll love it

i tend to just dump H20 on the coils in a small sauna at my gym- creates the steam room effect, generates a great sweat, and loosens me up all the same. beaut.

Louie
11-02-09, 6:28 pm
Hey thanks fellas for the input! I did the sauna last night for 12 minutes and I had to get out. I drank a quart of water after but did sweat felt great slept great! Does anyone know if it help allergites for Fall and the leaves falling? I get bad cough and nasel problems in the fall and more now that I moved to an area with lots of trees! Any advice besides medicine is appreciated!

Louie

EdMunsta
04-04-10, 12:09 pm
I am on the weight loss path after bulking and Im wondering is it ok to do cardio for half and hour to a full hour then hit the sauna for about twenty minutes? Is it healthy and safe or should I just skip it?