PDA

View Full Version : Theory of Moderation

05-30-07, 2:18 pm
This isn't quantum mechanics. It's eating. And eating is as basic as it gets. All too often, I see on different forums lifters who cut out entire foods because of something they heard or read. No fruit because its full of sugar. No steamed rice because of its high glycemic index. No egg yolks because its high in cholesterol. If we were all world-class athletes, if we were all dieting for Mr. Olympia, OK, we need to be very fastidious with our diets. Sure, I'll agree to that. I'm not planning on competing in the Olympia anytime soon. I'm like probably 99% of us here--just looking to get stronger everyday and grow. This is for the 99% of us.

So here's the basic tenets of the Theory of Moderation.
1. Stop worrying about the details, especially if the details get in the way of you getting necessary work done. Don't overthink, especially if that gets in the way of action. You want to bulk? Stop worrying about every last calorie. Stop thinking about how many grams of this or that you're going to need. At some point, you have to start bulking itself. Same applies for cutting.

2. Moderation goes hand in hand with common sense. Enjoy things in moderation. Employ common sense. A couple of egg yolks isn't going to ruin the "perfect" diet you're on. Neither is a piece of fruit or a slice of white bread. That perfect diet is an illusion.

3. The big picture gets clouded by smaller picture at each end of the extremes. Stay in the middle. Life is more sane. When you go too far out there, you lose perspective. And food choices.

gsb239
05-30-07, 2:37 pm
Good post. I hear ya.

k1usa
05-30-07, 3:21 pm
NICE!....now were talken...I like this...makes good sence...agree. The more I just let go and eat...as Machine mentions in the AOM....the more I grow...good post bro.....

karmazon
05-30-07, 3:26 pm
Members are finally starting to see my philosophy, very nice, soon I won't be needed here to knock some sense into this forum.

stumblin54
05-30-07, 3:29 pm
Well put bro. I think this thread and my last thread should just be merged because they go hand in hand.

Stumblin

05-30-07, 3:46 pm
Members are finally starting to see my philosophy, very nice, soon I won't be needed here to knock some sense into this forum.

Your philosophy? What, we can't share karmazon? It's all good man.

Big Rich
05-30-07, 3:58 pm
Moderation blows... Extreme rules.

I think you guys are talking about something else here. Perhaps breaking the common sense rule?

05-30-07, 4:02 pm
Moderation blows... Extreme rules.

I think you guys are talking about something else here. Perhaps breaking the common sense rule?

Good one Big Rich. Good to see you have a sense of humor.

k1usa
05-30-07, 4:11 pm
like Machine said in the AOM..."the difference between the freaks and the flock is the fucking fork"

dIdDy
05-30-07, 9:04 pm
This isn't quantum mechanics. It's eating. And eating is as basic as it gets. All too often, I see on different forums lifters who cut out entire foods because of something they heard or read. No fruit because its full of sugar. No steamed rice because of its high glycemic index. No egg yolks because its high in cholesterol. If we were all world-class athletes, if we were all dieting for Mr. Olympia, OK, we need to be very fastidious with our diets. Sure, I'll agree to that. I'm not planning on competing in the Olympia anytime soon. I'm like probably 99% of us here--just looking to get stronger everyday and grow. This is for the 99% of us.

So here's the basic tenets of the Theory of Moderation.
1. Stop worrying about the details, especially if the details get in the way of you getting necessary work done. Don't overthink, especially if that gets in the way of action. You want to bulk? Stop worrying about every last calorie. Stop thinking about how many grams of this or that you're going to need. At some point, you have to start bulking itself. Same applies for cutting.

2. Moderation goes hand in hand with common sense. Enjoy things in moderation. Employ common sense. A couple of egg yolks isn't going to ruin the "perfect" diet you're on. Neither is a piece of fruit or a slice of white bread. That perfect diet is an illusion.

3. The big picture gets clouded by smaller picture at each end of the extremes. Stay in the middle. Life is more sane. When you go too far out there, you lose perspective. And food choices.

I would like to tactfully disagree with this post. If we get in the mind set that "oh, just this one piece of white bread won't hurt.." then that is the first step towards where you do not want to be. The next thing you know, you are way off track b/c that one time, led to a second time which led to a third, etc...

As far as "staying in the middle, life is more sane", this is true. But, isn't the middle where everyone else is? Aren't we seperating ourselves from the pack? The middle and the norm is the last place I want to be. i want to go some place that I have never been before, in my mind and in my body and in order to do this, i have to do things that i have never done before. the only way to do this is to increase my level of dedication and increase my level of sacrifices, while at the same time decreasing indulgences. i want to look into the mirror and see changes, i want to look into my log book and see CHANGES...not the same ol' shit i saw yesterday....

Hope i got my point across without sounding like an ass.

11-05-09, 1:27 pm
I would like to tactfully disagree with this post. If we get in the mind set that "oh, just this one piece of white bread won't hurt.." then that is the first step towards where you do not want to be. The next thing you know, you are way off track b/c that one time, led to a second time which led to a third, etc...

As far as "staying in the middle, life is more sane", this is true. But, isn't the middle where everyone else is? Aren't we seperating ourselves from the pack? The middle and the norm is the last place I want to be. i want to go some place that I have never been before, in my mind and in my body and in order to do this, i have to do things that i have never done before. the only way to do this is to increase my level of dedication and increase my level of sacrifices, while at the same time decreasing indulgences. i want to look into the mirror and see changes, i want to look into my log book and see CHANGES...not the same ol' shit i saw yesterday....

Hope i got my point across without sounding like an ass.

I agree with you, I think. The Theory of Moderation applies to 99.9% of us here who are lifting to get bigger, stronger, faster. These are general goals. For those who have to worry about every last slice of bread, I assume this would apply to the competitive bodybuilder. The competitive bodybuilder follows the The Theory of Extreme. Also, the Theory of Moderation doesn't imply that you should aim for the middle or mediocrity. Not at all. Rather, it's a general approach to eating and lifting. While you can shoot for the stars and have lofty goals for yourself, how you get there is by not following extreme theories or approaches.

GJN5002
11-05-09, 3:51 pm
Some people just cant handle moderation, one beer leads to 10, 1 piece of cake leads to the whole thing.

As much as I love getting on here and arguing over the details, I agree about moderation and seeing the bigger picture.

J Wong
11-05-09, 3:56 pm
Some people just cant handle moderation, one beer leads to 10, 1 piece of cake leads to the whole thing.

As much as I love getting on here and arguing over the details, I agree about moderation and seeing the bigger picture.

So true, I try to do something in moderation diet wise and I end up pigging out... and then it ends up happening more than once or twice a week.

strivin for more
11-05-09, 4:41 pm

i have to third this. its easier for me to get into a routine and stick with it. if i had a slice of pizza, id do it again the following day or week.. itd just become to often.

so whatd i do? stop eating pizza. i think its all mindset and your goals as to how "extreme" you get.

11-05-09, 4:56 pm
Discipline is a the core of the Theory of Moderation. If you have no discipline, you might as well hang it up.

strivin for more
11-05-09, 6:51 pm
Discipline is a the core of the Theory of Moderation. If you have no discipline, you might as well hang it up.

so what would it be to those of us who have the discipline to say no consistantly and regularly until we cave that once we go into a cycle of binging for a time?

whats true discipline? always saying no, or being able to stop after youve started?

xxscaxx
11-05-09, 10:22 pm
so what would it be to those of us who have the discipline to say no consistantly and regularly until we cave that once we go into a cycle of binging for a time?

whats true discipline? always saying no, or being able to stop after youve started?

i think that depends on the person behind the fork bro. I think this is why mostly everyone needs some sort of cheat meal. it just keeps you sane from time to time (well, again it depends on the person).

11-06-09, 12:14 pm

True discipline, for you, would be avoiding the cave.

strivin for more
11-06-09, 4:15 pm
True discipline, for you, would be avoiding the cave.

thats specific though, and rather obvious. im asking as a broad question.

personally, i believe its never caving in to begin with. this idea goes beyond food. you cave once and make a mistake, (like perhaps doing drugs, alcohol beyond your limit or if youre underage, etc) you learn from it from consequence and move on with that knowledge. but that consequence could have lasting effects that would easily been avoided if no one would of caved to begin with.

11-06-09, 4:20 pm
thats specific though, and rather obvious. im asking as a broad question.

personally, i believe its never caving in to begin with. this idea goes beyond food. you cave once and make a mistake, (like perhaps doing drugs, alcohol beyond your limit or if youre underage, etc) you learn from it from consequence and move on with that knowledge. but that consequence could have lasting effects that would easily been avoided if no one would of caved to begin with.

If you say no to everything, have you truly lived?

strivin for more
11-06-09, 5:16 pm
touche.

but would i have to potentially endanger others to "live"? break morals? im not talkin havin an oreo here or there anymore. the examples im thinkin of are larger than that.