PDA

View Full Version : How Much Milk Is Too Much Milk?

Kiwi129
01-18-07, 11:52 am
Hey guys,

I'm on a bulk right now (it's been about 2 weeks). I'm keeping my gains between 1-3 lbs a week to keep fat at a minimum. It's already been about 4.5 lbs with no bodyfat increases (thanks to M Stak and a clean diet day in and day out). I do drink a lot of milk though. I drink about 6-7 servings of 1% (13 carbs, 8 protein, 2.5 fat) milk everyday. Is this too much milk? I've heard mixed opinions about milk on a bulk and just need some more I guess...
Thanks guys.

karmazon
01-18-07, 2:00 pm
If you want to keep fat at a minimum, drink the fat free milk. Otherwise it's a bit much, although if it fits in your daily caloric intake, keep drinking.

Kiwi129
01-18-07, 4:00 pm
It does. That's funny, what you told me is what I thought myself, but almost everyone says that milk is god for a bulk. They say start mixing all your shakes with milk, etc. A lot of guys drink upwards of a gallon a day. Yes it fits into my caloric intake (carbs, fat and all) and it's only 2.5g of fat a serving, with only 1g saturated, so I'm not really worried about it making me fatter anymore I guess. Never thought of it that way.

Wasteland
01-18-07, 4:10 pm
Hey guys,

I'm on a bulk right now (it's been about 2 weeks). I'm keeping my gains between 1-3 lbs a week to keep fat at a minimum. It's already been about 4.5 lbs with no bodyfat increases (thanks to M Stak and a clean diet day in and day out). I do drink a lot of milk though. I drink about 6-7 servings of 1% (13 carbs, 8 protein, 2.5 fat) milk everyday. Is this too much milk? I've heard mixed opinions about milk on a bulk and just need some more I guess...
Thanks guys.

You've gained 4.5 lb with "no bodyfat increases" on 6-7 servings? As the saying goes, if it ain't broke...

What's your concern?

Kiwi129
01-18-07, 4:15 pm
Yea I guess you're right. I just get stuff in my head and need to get it out heh... 4.5 lbs at the end of two weeks is really great for me too... I finally started doing everything right and wholeheartedly and gaining muscle is finally a possiblity for me.

Kiwi129
01-18-07, 4:16 pm
When you asked that question though... is gaining that kind of muscle on that much milk uncommon? Maybe I should retest bodyfat. You just made it sound like I SHOULD have some bodyfat from that kind of milk intake.

karmazon
01-18-07, 4:18 pm
Yea I guess you're right. I just get stuff in my head and need to get it out heh...

Don't worry, I get the same way. I'll have my diet figured out then I'll read some posts on various forums and get all paranoid, "am I drinking too little water? am I taking in too much sodium? Am I not getting enough protein? I must be losing muscle, nooooo!". I just tell myself that I should keep my diet simple and not worry about all that crap.

ironshaolin
01-18-07, 4:22 pm
there was an old-school workout program they used to call the milk program. You would do 2-3 warmups on squats, then do a 20-rep breathing set with a weight you could only do 10, then superset with dumbell pullovers. They said with drinking a gallon of milk every day on this workout you would see amazing gains. Personally, I drink about 2-3 glasses of skim a day if I have much more I get cramps in my intestines, and the stinkiest gas you've ever smelled. Some people can handle milk better than others.

Wasteland
01-18-07, 4:23 pm
When you asked that question though... is gaining that kind of muscle on that much milk uncommon? Maybe I should retest bodyfat. You just made it sound like I SHOULD have some bodyfat from that kind of milk intake.

I don't think you're making those gains solely from the milk--it's just another contributing factor. You said you're eating clean--that, in totality, is the reason. Keep up what you're doing bro--it's still early yet. As time goes on, it'll get tougher to add the quality weight. You just have to stick with it and persevere. Good luck.

Kiwi129
01-18-07, 4:24 pm
Well I handle it well... no diarrhea or cramps. Some gas occasionally but my girlfriend deals with it heh.

Kiwi129
01-18-07, 4:25 pm
Yea thanks a lot Wasteland I know it'll get tougher. Just gotta keep everything in check and only fix it if it's broken.

Wasteland
01-18-07, 4:27 pm
Yea thanks a lot Wasteland I know it'll get tougher. Just gotta keep everything in check and only fix it if it's broken.

Sounds good brother. Don't be afraid to mix things up, change things around--especially when you hit a wall. That's the other side of if it ain't broke...

Kiwi129
01-18-07, 4:35 pm
Heh... I'll keep that in mind.

moonboy10
01-18-07, 7:42 pm
personally i can't drink milk. bloats me up, cramps me up, just can't handle it. Instead I drink goat's milk. I believe that drinking your calories is an excellent way to get into that calorie surplus for gaining muscle. Just be sure it's 1% or skim to keep the saturated fat to minimum.

Wolf Man CHG
01-18-07, 7:44 pm
i love milk....drink about 1/4 gallon a day...fat free skim helps to keep me full without extra fat and excessive carbs

can't mix it for the post-workout shake though....my stomach doesn't agree with that idea

Young&Hungry
01-18-07, 11:26 pm
I'm having a glass of skim with almost every meal I can get one in. With another 8 grams of protein and not too major carbs to add, you really can't go wrong.

Wonderwheels
01-19-07, 9:24 am
In my humble opinion, you guys might want to take a closer look at milk. Ive noticed most of you go for the skim milk and this is a common mistake. When you get a chance, take a look at the sugar content of milk. The lower the fat content, the higher the sugar content. Sugar is not our friend as bodybuilders. In all honesty if you want to drink milk, then really you should have the whole vitamin D stuff. Its lower sugar.

People commonly make the mistake that "fat" is what makes you fat. So people avoid the heck out of anything with high content of "fat". The truth is, when they remove fat from a product, they just replace it with sugar. Between the two options, sugar or fat, you should definitely choose fat. Sugar is high glycemic and will spike your insulin. A spike in insulin will cause you to eat more, and store more fat since your body cant process the simple carbs fast enough. Sugar is only acceptable post workout, as your blood sugar will be low from a hard lifting session.

Do more research. There is a reason Arnold said milk was for babies in Pumping Iron. Bodybuilders and milk dont mix. Just my thoughts....

G Diesel
01-19-07, 10:18 am
In my humble opinion, you guys might want to take a closer look at milk. Ive noticed most of you go for the skim milk and this is a common mistake. When you get a chance, take a look at the sugar content of milk. The lower the fat content, the higher the sugar content. Sugar is not our friend as bodybuilders. In all honesty if you want to drink milk, then really you should have the whole vitamin D stuff. Its lower sugar.

People commonly make the mistake that "fat" is what makes you fat. So people avoid the heck out of anything with high content of "fat". The truth is, when they remove fat from a product, they just replace it with sugar. Between the two options, sugar or fat, you should definitely choose fat. Sugar is high glycemic and will spike your insulin. A spike in insulin will cause you to eat more, and store more fat since your body cant process the simple carbs fast enough. Sugar is only acceptable post workout, as your blood sugar will be low from a hard lifting session.

Do more research. There is a reason Arnold said milk was for babies in Pumping Iron. Bodybuilders and milk dont mix. Just my thoughts....

Your average gallon of standard whole vs. 2% vs. 1% vs. skim milk in the US should have the exact same sugar content. The only difference from one to the next is the fat content. Perhaps in cases like lactose-reduced milk your statement may be more applicable. I think you may be confused with peanut butter, where the lower fat versions often contain more sugar calories. Peace, G

Kiwi129
01-20-07, 2:00 am
Your right that 12g of the 13g of carbs in milk are from sugar HOWEVER, if you check any glycemic index (I know some condemn it) it is a low to moderate-GI carbohydrate. It does not cause an insulin spike anymore than one from wheat bread, brown rice, etc... in otherwords...one that would cause fat deposition. That's the only reason I brought myself to drink it.

propstm
01-20-07, 2:21 am
well you ask about fat content and you mention that initial gain. Coming from a wrestling background my initial thought is well at 4-6 glasses of milk a day or any liquid for that matter, I'd be willing to be that 2-3 of those lbs are just consistent water weight.

Like they've said if it ain't broke don't fix it. Keep lifting keep getting them gains.

J-Dawg
01-20-07, 11:44 pm
Your average gallon of standard whole vs. 2% vs. 1% vs. skim milk in the US should have the exact same sugar content. The only difference from one to the next is the fat content. Perhaps in cases like lactose-reduced milk your statement may be more applicable. I think you may be confused with peanut butter, where the lower fat versions often contain more sugar calories. Peace, G

Good call G, sugar content is the same across the board for all types of milk. The only way it would ever decrease is if you are buying a special brand of milk specifically made for low carb dieters. Low fat milk however, doesn't have more sugar than whole milk as the process to remove the fat doesn't affect the carb content.

train.eat.supp.sleep
05-13-08, 5:48 pm
how much do you guys drink a day???

i take in probably 1/4 a gal every day...skim milk

InkdMuscle
05-13-08, 5:53 pm
how much do you guys drink a day???

i take in probably 1/4 a gal every day...skim milk

If you bulking milk is your friend. Ill prob drink that much myself since I am bulking right now. I have a big glass when i get up w/my shake and one w/my bed time shake.

tom10
05-13-08, 6:17 pm
probably 1-2 pints a day. i mix my bedtime real gains with 1 pint of skim milk and make my morning oats with semi-skim (2%).

easy extra protein and tastes good!

TheBassGuy
05-13-08, 6:25 pm
1.5L Every day.

bigunz85
05-13-08, 6:27 pm
10 gallons...is that too much?

train.eat.supp.sleep
05-13-08, 6:49 pm
haha ten gallons my ass

Matt Dickerson
05-13-08, 6:52 pm
1 to 1.5 gallons of whole milk per day. Been doing this for the past 2 weeks and am up 9 pounds now. Love it.

Fury317
05-13-08, 7:13 pm
best thread title ever. that movie rocks.

and milk is awesome when youre on a bulk. like Tiny does- keeps a trickle of slow digesting protien in you all day. unfortunately Im starting my diet for a show in about a month so none here.

Fury317
05-13-08, 7:14 pm
...but then again, someone once said "milk is for babies, when you grow up you have to drink beer."

rev8ball
05-13-08, 7:44 pm
About a gallon a day.

I'd shoot myself if I ever became lactose intollerant!

Thetasteofink69
05-13-08, 8:45 pm
I haven't worked my way up to a gallon a day.. I'm at 5 gallons a week right now.. I love milk.. It goes with everything and it's a quick easy protein source

Joey D
05-13-08, 9:41 pm
almost 2 gallons whole milk a week.

Joe D

Joey D
05-13-08, 9:42 pm
I love chocolate milk!!!

Joe D

MassMan
05-13-08, 9:54 pm
I love chocolate milk!!!

Joe D

I saw some research that "proves" that chocolate milk can enhance athletic performance....

Joey D
05-13-08, 9:57 pm
I saw the same thing! I Like a couple of glasses with my oatmeal!

Joe D

Suleiman
05-13-08, 9:58 pm
believe it or not but i was able to trim my waist line from drinking whole milk. You can never get enuf milk. Also lifting heavy loads can take a large toll on your bones so the calcium helps and yeah goodluck on your bulk homie

MassMan
05-13-08, 10:17 pm
I did what Tiny does and other bodybuilders do...

go for a gallon of milk everyday.....

I did this throughout the summer and i got incredible results..

waslate
05-13-08, 10:27 pm
there can never be too much milk on a bulk....

bigunz85
05-14-08, 3:47 pm
10 gallons...is that too much?

no seriously dude i drink 10 gallons of milk a day. I'm not even lying.

rev8ball
05-14-08, 4:28 pm

Okay, I'm throwing my bullshit flag on this one.

First, this is damn close to a physiological impossibility.
Second, that's over 14K kcals per day, if using nonfat.

simpleguy
05-14-08, 4:42 pm
milk... mmm, I use it mostly when bulking to due it being quite insulinogenic... having a ratio of 4 to 1 between casein and whey, it's great for any time of the day imo

xandt
05-14-08, 5:16 pm
Ok lets get serious here...

First, sugar content in milk DOES vary based on the company who makes it (not based on fat content). It's usually about 12g per cup but I've seen it as low as 8g per cup for the more expensive fancy milk. 12g seems to be standard though. So this isn't a big deal. Lactose-free milk has the same amount of sugar as regular milk (it's just lactose-free).

Check the nutritional labels when you go buy your stuff next time and you'll see.

A gallon of milk = 16 cups = 3.8 liters. Any way you slice it that's a LOT of milk. A gallon of fat-free skim milk would have almost 200g of sugar and 1,450 calories. A gallon of full-fat whole milk would have around the same sugar and 2,350 calories. As a side note, a gallon of either would also give you 5 times the "Daily Value" of calcium.

I really don't know, but it seems that's not the smartest way to take in calories. Unless you're on a bulk and take in 4,500 calories a day, then maybe the 1,450 from skim-milk might be ok.

Personally I drink only 2 cups a day.

I'm no milk expert though. Feel free to bash my opinions if you have a good theory or point to make.

Chubby
05-15-08, 1:12 am
Sugar = 4 cals per gram

Protien = 4 cals per gram

Fat = 9 cals per gram

with the above formula you can tablulate how much calories your taking in using the nutrional labels on the products you buy, & you will see that there are many different outcomes, I remember one time the label said 240 calories per serving & then read how much fat grams/sugar grams/protien grams were in the product, did the math & came up with a 9 calorie difference, with the calories, that I added up with thier Per serving fat/sugar/protien, being MORE that what the product said...I called the company up (toll free numbers on the comments part of the label) & poised the question to the rep of the company & they didn't give me an effective answer...

Now I drink Carnation's nonfat powdered milk & it says it has 80/cal per serving (1/3 cup dried mixed with h20 to make on 8oz serving) it says 12g sugar, 8 grams protien, 0 grams fat...

12x4 =48 cals from sugars

8x4 = 32 cals from protien

so that adds up to 80 cals, plain & simple, that's 40% cals from protien & 60% cals from sugars...remember cavet emptor...buyer beware...read your labels & do your math...

rev8ball
05-15-08, 2:38 am
Sugar = 4 cals per gram

Protien = 4 cals per gram

Fat = 9 cals per gram

with the above formula you can tablulate how much calories your taking in using the nutrional labels on the products you buy, & you will see that there are many different outcomes, I remember one time the label said 240 calories per serving & then read how much fat grams/sugar grams/protien grams were in the product, did the math & came up with a 9 calorie difference, with the calories, that I added up with thier Per serving fat/sugar/protien, being MORE that what the product said...I called the company up (toll free numbers on the comments part of the label) & poised the question to the rep of the company & they didn't give me an effective answer...

Now I drink Carnation's nonfat powdered milk & it says it has 80/cal per serving (1/3 cup dried mixed with h20 to make on 8oz serving) it says 12g sugar, 8 grams protien, 0 grams fat...

12x4 =48 cals from sugars

8x4 = 32 cals from protien

so that adds up to 80 cals, plain & simple, that's 40% cals from protien & 60% cals from sugars...remember cavet emptor...buyer beware...read your labels & do your math...

There are several reasons for this, two of them being:

1. The number of kcals per gram of macronutrient is not a whole number, so rounding occurs.

2. If a macronutrient comes in with less than a 0.5 g per serving, then the company can round down, i.e., 0g of fat listed, even if it has 0.4g.

Mizzarler
05-15-08, 3:42 am
Im bulking and drinking around a gallon a day and not getting fat but making great gains

XIronAcesX
05-15-08, 5:01 am
I drink about a gallon of milk every 2 days

born0withno0soul
05-15-08, 5:05 am
too much milk? not possible

thenothingthatis
05-15-08, 5:32 am
I think you can drink too much milk. I read somewhere that too much calcium can affect your prostate? Or something. Too much of anything is bad. Even water. personally, I drink about a liter of milk everyday.

Thrawn
05-15-08, 5:53 am

I understand that a US gallon is about 3.8 liters, right? So you tell me you drink almost 38 liters of milk a day? I dont think so.

I drink about 2 liters a day now.

simpleguy
05-15-08, 6:03 am
too much milk? not possible

sorry but I disagree

I understand that a US gallon is about 3.8 liters, right? So you tell me you drink almost 38 liters of milk a day? I dont think so.

I drink about 2 liters a day now.

he was ironic bro, that's why he said 'not even lying'

Thrawn
05-15-08, 7:13 am
he was ironic bro, that's why he said 'not even lying'

AH, that could be. Language barrier. I might have misunderstood that. My apologies if i offended anyone.

simpleguy
05-15-08, 7:40 am
AH, that could be. Language barrier. I might have misunderstood that. My apologies if i offended anyone.

no, I doubt anyone took any offense... it's just impossible to drink 38l of milk a day , your kidneys would fail

rbh84
05-16-08, 11:42 am
Hey guys,

Thanks guys.

Go buy the powdered non fat "DRIED" milk at the store...1/3 cup eaquals one serving mixed with water. Its real good and I cant tell teh difference...plus its last longer than the gallon.

Arnold Is Numero Uno
06-24-08, 10:18 pm
Okay, we all know Arnold said "Milk is for babies" haha but my question is this....It seems like I never see milk listed under different bodybuilders diets, I mean, it's got a gram of protein per ounce so that's pretty good. Plus it's a lot easier for me and maybe others to get their calories and protein by way of liquid and you don't have to use a jug a protein a day

Do you drink a lot of milk every day? I drink about a half gallon...is that bad?

Matt Dickerson
06-24-08, 10:26 pm
I love it. I drink a gallon of 1% per day and will do whole milk if I need to put on 3-4 pound in a couple of days to make my powerlifting equipment fit a little tighter. Some people just can't handle lactose though. I have been drinking close to a gallon of milk per day since I was around 16 years old.

InkdMuscle
06-24-08, 10:27 pm
true. but from what others have said and what i have found it, if your not carefull in other parts of your diet and training it can add unwanted BF. I havent expierenced it myself, I drink about 2 8oz glasses a day 1 am 1pm. so with my cardio and training i think i am able to keep that in check. so milke is A-OK in my book.

Matt Dickerson
06-24-08, 10:32 pm
true. but from what others have said and what i have found it, if your not carefull in other parts of your diet and training it can add unwanted BF. I havent expierenced it myself, I drink about 2 8oz glasses a day 1 am 1pm. so with my cardio and training i think i am able to keep that in check. so milke is A-OK in my book.

Yeh... That's probably why i am around 20-25% body fat lol.

T o m m Y
06-24-08, 10:47 pm

lol ya but with a ton of muscle..

MetalAsh12
06-24-08, 10:52 pm
I use fat free lactaid with my protein shakes and it keeps me going strong

musclealchemist
06-24-08, 10:55 pm
i always drink a shake with some whey protein before i go to bed. When i bulk i sometimes drink a milk shake with some real gains. I like it and it taste good. Just be careful with it.

cstmgp
06-24-08, 10:56 pm
I love milk, so I recently switched to skim. Seems like an easy way to get some protien and calories with little/no fat. I sometimes mix my shakes with it instead of water.
Shaun

shizz702
06-24-08, 11:12 pm
Man I don't know what I'd do without it! I drink minimum half gallon, and up to a gallon of whole milk right now (bulking).

TheDarkHalf
06-24-08, 11:17 pm
I used to drink milk like it was my job. Used it with cereals for breakfast and for my protein shakes. But i'm on a cut now, and I gave it up entirely. Weird going from having cereal and milk for 23 years to none at all. My wallet is also a little fuller now! Milk's good for a bulk, but I believe it's just unnecessarily calories on a cut.

Hola Bola
06-24-08, 11:28 pm

Maybe, maybe not. I drink about 3/4 of a gallon a day and I'm able to stay lean year round.

Brick By Brick
06-24-08, 11:39 pm
I don't like plain milk very much, but I love it mixed with whey protein. I've been pinching some whole milk from my toddler son's supply to get diesel strong for the Mt Rainier Strongman comp in August. Otherwise, I drink 2%.

stumblin54
06-24-08, 11:41 pm
I used to drink milk like it was my job. Used it with cereals for breakfast and for my protein shakes. But i'm on a cut now, and I gave it up entirely. Weird going from having cereal and milk for 23 years to none at all. My wallet is also a little fuller now! Milk's good for a bulk, but I believe it's just unnecessarily calories on a cut.

Milk is one of the most wholesome sources of protein. Anybody can make it fit in the macros, and it's digested by the body as if it were a whole food. I would recommend placing it back in your diet, it's great for you.

Stumblin

TheDarkHalf
06-24-08, 11:51 pm
Milk is one of the most wholesome sources of protein. Anybody can make it fit in the macros, and it's digested by the body as if it were a whole food. I would recommend placing it back in your diet, it's great for you.

Stumblin

I've been supplementing with calcium & Vit D tabs to replace the loss of milk. So far cutting out milk has been working, and i'm not seeing much muscle loss if any. Thanks for the heads up though, good lookin out.

hardhit71
06-24-08, 11:52 pm
i drink milk like crazy. i absolutely love it. ive never finished a protein shake that wasnt mixed with milk. so far i havnt had to worry about any unwanted BF. the BF that i have left is just what i havnt worked hard enough to get rid of. no worries...if you like it, drink it

J Wong
06-25-08, 1:04 am
As of yesterday, I started having a glass of milk with 4 meals, and 1 mixed with whey before bed. I'll see how it goes.

P-Ram
06-25-08, 1:27 am
I take some with breakfast every morning and with my pre-bed shake. It should be part of every BB/PL's diet...unless you don't do well with lactose, ofcourse.

Redjeep
06-25-08, 1:49 am
I love milk, I drink a glass with every meal. Keeps protein rollin' in all day long. Mostly between meals because of the casein protein in milk.

rev8ball
06-25-08, 2:14 am
I drink a gallon a day, but I mix it with dry milk to crank up the nutritional value of it even more...

IRBS
06-25-08, 8:53 am
I love it. I drink a gallon of 1% per day and will do whole milk if I need to put on 3-4 pound in a couple of days to make my powerlifting equipment fit a little tighter. Some people just can't handle lactose though. I have been drinking close to a gallon of milk per day since I was around 16 years old.

x2!! Drink Milk, Get Strong!!! Crazy Bodybuilders and their abs! LOL!!!!

For real though, I could easily drink a gallon of milk a day if it wasnt $5 a gallon. I go through 2-3 gallons a week right now, and thats because I ration myself. I love the stuff. Great source of protien and it tastes great. The next step to getting strong is eating Oreo's with your milk...now thats an effective combo!!!!

krazyassmexican
06-25-08, 9:01 am

For real though, I could easily drink a gallon of milk a day if it wasnt $5 a gallon. I go through 2-3 gallons a week right now, and thats because I ration myself. I love the stuff. Great source of protien and it tastes great. The next step to getting strong is eating Oreo's with your milk...now thats an effective combo!!!!

i refused to believe that was the secret, some strongman/powerlifter from west virginia (dont remember his name)

was interviewed by greg the other day and the man said he drank a gallon of milk a day (chocolate milk)

and dude trains 7 days a week

blueIMlifter
06-25-08, 9:03 am

I have went through 2 bags of Double Stuff Oreos since Sunday....my god oreo's in milk may be one of the best things ever invented!! good call IRBS!!!

Now that I'm back to bulking I make sure to put 12-16 oz of milk in every mass shake that I have. milk makes the shakes taste so much better especially when I have vanilla whey protein...throw in some natty PB and now we're talking!

IRBS
06-25-08, 9:33 am
I have went through 2 bags of Double Stuff Oreos since Sunday....my god oreo's in milk may be one of the best things ever invented!! good call IRBS!!!

Now that I'm back to bulking I make sure to put 12-16 oz of milk in every mass shake that I have. milk makes the shakes taste so much better especially when I have vanilla whey protein...throw in some natty PB and now we're talking!

LOL, now thats some progress!!!!

Try Milk mixed with Strawberry Real Gains...it has to be one of the greatest things I have ever had....plus its a crap load of calories, protien and good carbs.

MMMMMM, Strawberry Real Gains.......

IRBS
06-25-08, 9:34 am
i refused to believe that was the secret, some strongman/powerlifter from west virginia (dont remember his name)

was interviewed by greg the other day and the man said he drank a gallon of milk a day (chocolate milk)

and dude trains 7 days a week

Jesse Marunde used to drink a gallon of whole milk a day that he got from a dairy farm near his home. I dont know any strength athletes that dont drink milk...unless they have a problem with lactose...

blueIMlifter
06-25-08, 10:58 am
LOL, now thats some progress!!!!

Try Milk mixed with Strawberry Real Gains...it has to be one of the greatest things I have ever had....plus its a crap load of calories, protien and good carbs.

MMMMMM, Strawberry Real Gains.......

i have 2 tubs of chocolate real gains awaiting me when i get home in a couple days...i imagine that and some milk will taste real solid.

Big Wides
06-25-08, 11:02 am
Jesse Marunde used to drink a gallon of whole milk a day that he got from a dairy farm near his home. I dont know any strength athletes that dont drink milk...unless they have a problem with lactose...

I can't drink pasturized milk that doesnt agree with me, but me and raw milk that you can get a farm are a match made in heaven. 2 Pop-Tarts and a glass of raw milk is the perfect pre bed meal....haha (only on some days)

brandonA
06-25-08, 11:12 am
I like to think of it this way......Ever seen a "little" baby cow? Fuck no...Drink that milk son, I just finished my 20oz for breakfast and had half a gallon with dinner last night...I go through 2-4 gallons a week and love it...Even on my "low" carb days, i still drink my milk....I was reading a book all about Paul Anderson, huge lifter from back in the day, he would do a set of squats and then drink whole milk while resting....gotta love it....

-B

06-25-08, 11:19 am
Milk is a staple in my diet. I drink about 2 gallons a week. I drink Skim as I prefer the taste and get my fats elsewhere.

Phil

Naturally Huge
06-25-08, 11:41 am
I buy raw whole milk from a local dairy for my kids and sometimes I indulge by using some with my pre-bed shake because it tastes soooo good.
Raw milk is the only way to go because it has all the enzymes necessary to digest it. I'm lactose intolerant and I have absolutely no problem with raw milk, but I about die when I drink the store-bought shit.

cviewmike851
06-25-08, 10:29 pm
I am between 15-20% bf and i absolutely love milk I use it as a staple for my protein intake deriving around 30-40% of my daily intake of protein from milk. since i don't want to gain anymore fat I have recently switched to skim milk which i drink about 3/4 to a gallon every day. do you guys think the switch to skim was a good idea?

Variable
06-25-08, 10:41 pm
Milk is decent for gaining mass, I would drop it down when trying cut though.

1 cup (8oz) of skim milk contains 12g of sugar. Granted its in the form of lactose, but its still a simple sugar. I try to reserve milk feedings (6-8oz) to breakfast and post workout as the body benefits from simple sugars during this period and a surge in blood sugar and insulin will not result in storage as body fat.

Frank Zane said in his newsletter that he doesn't keep milk in the house. He almost equates milk to white bread and candy. More of a pleasure than a necessity.

Appollonian
06-25-08, 10:51 pm
I like to think of it this way......Ever seen a "little" baby cow? Fuck no...Drink that milk son, I just finished my 20oz for breakfast and had half a gallon with dinner last night...I go through 2-4 gallons a week and love it...Even on my "low" carb days, i still drink my milk....I was reading a book all about Paul Anderson, huge lifter from back in the day, he would do a set of squats and then drink whole milk while resting....gotta love it....

-B

YES! I almost fell out of my chair laughing! Gotta drink the milk... I do even when trying to trim the fat, just got to make room for it.

Appollonian
06-28-08, 1:30 pm
Milk is decent for gaining mass, I would drop it down when trying cut though.

1 cup (8oz) of skim milk contains 12g of sugar. Granted its in the form of lactose, but its still a simple sugar. I try to reserve milk feedings (6-8oz) to breakfast and post workout as the body benefits from simple sugars during this period and a surge in blood sugar and insulin will not result in storage as body fat.

Frank Zane said in his newsletter that he doesn't keep milk in the house. He almost equates milk to white bread and candy. More of a pleasure than a necessity.

The lengths your body has to go to to digest the galactose is much more than that is needed for the digestion of sucrose. Some don't do well, but I can drink milk anytime of the day even when trying to cut out body fat.

twisted_steel
06-29-08, 9:47 pm
I drink about 10-14 oz a day of skim-plus milk....(low fat with added milk solids and protein)....main reason is for calcium and nutrients

Universal Rep
07-28-08, 4:00 pm
Milk makes you grow.

The Epidemic
10-13-08, 5:47 pm
About a gallon a day.

I'd shoot myself if I ever became lactose intollerant! why drink latcid milk

The Epidemic
10-13-08, 5:49 pm
what better? whole or skim?

10-13-08, 6:04 pm
what better? whole or skim?

Depends on your requirements throughout the day in my opinion. I drink about 2 gallons skim throughout the week and about 1/2 gal. whole. To each their own though.

Phil

shizz702
10-13-08, 6:07 pm
No such thing as too much milk imo, I drink up to a gallon of 2% a day when bulking and recommend really skinny guys to drink a gallon of whole milk a day.

The Epidemic
10-13-08, 6:14 pm
Depends on your requirements throughout the day in my opinion. I drink about 2 gallons skim throughout the week and about 1/2 gal. whole. To each their own though.

Phil

im on a 6month bulk to gain 17pds

ROC1291
10-13-08, 7:10 pm
I drink skim in the morning with my shake and sometimes later throughout the day if I need a meal replacement...

J Wong
10-15-08, 6:52 am
Lets just say when I was bulking, I got so much bigger once I started drinking a lot of milk daily. Some of it went to the stomach though...

NJC_Manhattan
10-15-08, 11:28 am
Hey guys,

Thanks guys.

You got to watch how many calories are from fat. Even in 2% milk the fat cals are high.

natandrb
10-16-08, 4:14 pm
Anyone know an alternative to milk that would still satisfy the same macros? I'm lactose intolerant, and a college student, which means that I can't afford lactose free milk, and if I were to drink regular milk, well..., it would come right back out and bring anything in my intestines with it (sorry about the visual). Thanks.

N.Rees
11-27-09, 11:58 am
Hey brothers...

just another short question as allways...

is there something as too much milk? I probably consume about 3/4 - 1litres (3-4cups, 0.2 gallons) of 0.5% milk a day in total... is that too much?

The question came to my mind because I realized that not many ppl on here consume milk at all...

Thanks in advance brothers!

Peace

Max-Angle
11-27-09, 12:30 pm
What do you mean not many people on here drink milk? Milk has been used with weightlifters since the beginning of time, we gain our first abilities from milk, its the fountain of youth for body builders

Beach91
11-27-09, 12:38 pm
Hi Guys,

Milk is fine. Milk is very good choice for an offseason caloric choice. The reason why you may not see it in too many bodybuilders diets is they may be competeing and when counting and measuring all calories and restricting intake, a bodybuilder may prefer to eat or chew rather than drink their calories.

But depending on your diet and goals, there is no such thing as too much milk, a litre a day combined with a solid bulk diet will do you wonders in the offseason. A lot of hardgainers who have fast metabolisms often complain they cant get enuff cals. into their daily diet. One solution to that prob. is drink more milk

my two pennies
beach

ironshaolin
11-27-09, 1:45 pm
Ever hear of "squats and milk"? Drink up dude, I've gone upwards as much as a gallon of milk a day. You definately make fast gains doing that.

IronWilson
11-27-09, 2:11 pm
You don't really need it.

It will add calories as a part of a balanced bulking diet.

Can get you big, but can also get you fat.

Thats all I'll say.

ronnie
11-27-09, 3:18 pm
3/4 L a day is fine and will not make you gain unwanted fat, sometimes too much can make some people gain weight, but since your lifting 3/4L is not too much. the nutritional value of milk is great, especially if you are BULKING and in that case DRINK UP!

search the GOMAD diet, (gallon of milk a day), this WILL put weight on your body!

N.Rees
11-28-09, 6:38 am
Hi Guys,

Milk is fine. Milk is very good choice for an offseason caloric choice. The reason why you may not see it in too many bodybuilders diets is they may be competeing and when counting and measuring all calories and restricting intake, a bodybuilder may prefer to eat or chew rather than drink their calories.

But depending on your diet and goals, there is no such thing as too much milk, a litre a day combined with a solid bulk diet will do you wonders in the offseason. A lot of hardgainers who have fast metabolisms often complain they cant get enuff cals. into their daily diet. One solution to that prob. is drink more milk

my two pennies
beach

Ever hear of "squats and milk"? Drink up dude, I've gone upwards as much as a gallon of milk a day. You definately make fast gains doing that.

Thats all I'll say.

3/4 L a day is fine and will not make you gain unwanted fat, sometimes too much can make some people gain weight, but since your lifting 3/4L is not too much. the nutritional value of milk is great, especially if you are BULKING and in that case DRINK UP!

search the GOMAD diet, (gallon of milk a day), this WILL put weight on your body!

Thanks a lot for your input brothers! Very much appreciated!

- Peace

Kryptonite
11-28-09, 8:13 am
What do you mean not many people on here drink milk? Milk has been used with weightlifters since the beginning of time, we gain our first abilities from milk, its the fountain of youth for body builders

Right.

Kryptonite
11-28-09, 8:13 am

Thats all I'll say.

Wrong. Sorry.

IronWilson
11-28-09, 10:34 am
Wrong. Sorry.

What isn't right about what I said?

mritter3
11-28-09, 10:36 am
i see zero problems with milk, unless you are preparing for a contest or cutting down...i drink sometimes up to half a gallon a day....love it, before whey and powder what do you think the old timers did for protein....eggs and milk

BubbyLight
11-28-09, 10:52 am
milk...does the body good

intoodeep25
11-28-09, 12:41 pm
personally, i love milk. i wish i had my own cow

Kryptonite
11-28-09, 3:02 pm
What isn't right about what I said?

I think that to become a very succesful bodybuilder or even powerlifter, it is necessary.

And unless you're drinking whole milk (and a lot of it) you most likely won't get fat.

Kryptonite
11-28-09, 3:03 pm
personally, i love milk. i wish i had my own cow

That would most likely be #2 if a genie ever granted me 3 wishes...

Or maybe just the whole farm?

stumblin54
11-28-09, 6:33 pm
I think that to become a very succesful bodybuilder or even powerlifter, it is necessary.

And unless you're drinking whole milk (and a lot of it) you most likely won't get fat.

I know more people than not who are at least "a little" lactose intolerant. Milk cannot be consumed by all, and those who cannot find other ways to become successful bodybuilders with plenty of muscle mass.

Stumblin

intoodeep25
11-28-09, 7:42 pm
ya there is no one food that is vital to putting on size.

with that said though, milk does make things a little easier. stuff has a great profile

ronnie
11-29-09, 5:05 pm
if it wasnt for milk, there would be no whey. milk is great!

shizz702
11-29-09, 5:56 pm
If you are looking to mass up, milk is liquid gold! GOMAD is a well known method to pack on the weight and in my opinion is probably one of, if not the, simplest, most comprehensive ways to do so: http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

If you want to gain weight and can tolerate it, I don't think there is such a thing as too much. Especially if you struggle to gain weight and eat enough, or work a hard labor job where you burn a lot of cals. Think about it, a gallon of milk will net you an extra 2k+ cals, if you need over 5k cals to gain weight, it really comes in handy.

Now if you are looking to lean out, that is a whole 'nother story and you'd have to limit it.

IRBS
11-29-09, 7:48 pm
If it fits into your current dietary goals, drink up.

If you're drinking tons of milk on top of a caloric excess, you will gain some fat. Just like anything else.

Milk on a cutting diet is not ideal though. There are many better choices. Lactose is not ideal for shedding fat.

Good luck.

I love milk,
IRBS

prowrestler
11-29-09, 9:31 pm
If it fits into your current dietary goals, drink up.

If you're drinking tons of milk on top of a caloric excess, you will gain some fat. Just like anything else.

Milk on a cutting diet is not ideal though. There are many better choices. Lactose is not ideal for shedding fat.

Good luck.

I love milk,
IRBS

yay!

Kryptonite
11-29-09, 9:47 pm
yay!

x2! Haha

prowrestler
11-30-09, 12:46 am
bought myself 2liters for the night

BigChrisF
11-30-09, 1:42 am
I don't believe there is an ideal sugar for shedding body fat.

IRBS
11-30-09, 10:09 am
I don't believe there is an ideal sugar for shedding body fat.

"Lactose is not ideal for shedding fat."

I guess my sarcasm didnt translate....

BigChrisF
11-30-09, 8:11 pm
True. Sarcasm is an iffy prospect in the typed word.

Kryptonite
11-30-09, 9:55 pm
How about 16 servings of 1% milk? That sounds about right... Haha