PDA

View Full Version : Regular Peanut Butter (PB) vs. Natural Peanut Butter

***WTM***
06-02-07, 9:58 pm
I did a search and couldn't find anything specific...

What is the difference between regular and natural peanut butter? I have a jar or both at home and reading the labels they look identical to me. The regular even has more protein in it.

HAWK
06-02-07, 10:00 pm
Didn't search hard enough --

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=5822&highlight=natural+pb

JMC
06-02-07, 10:07 pm
I did a search and couldn't find anything specific...

What is the difference between regular and natural peanut butter? I have a jar or both at home and reading the labels they look identical to me. The regular even has more protein in it.

Do not just look at the nutritional facts, look at the actual ingredients. My natty pb's ingredients...peanuts...that's it. All that other crap...not natty pb.

***WTM***
06-02-07, 10:23 pm
Didn't search hard enough --

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=5822&highlight=natural+pb

Thanks that answered my question. I just found the Skippy at the store. You can't even tell the difference between the natural and regular. Now I jsut have to keep my kids away from it.

( side note - how come when I do a search and specifically type in PEANUT BUTTER, not even my new thread was first on the list?? ) just wondering.

HAWK
06-03-07, 8:08 pm
Thanks that answered my question. I just found the Skippy at the store. You can't even tell the difference between the natural and regular. Now I jsut have to keep my kids away from it.

( side note - how come when I do a search and specifically type in PEANUT BUTTER, not even my new thread was first on the list?? ) just wondering.

Try searching and clicking on the "list posts" not "threads" button.

knockout509
06-20-08, 12:29 pm
I just bought some natural PB today and the nutritional info is just about the same.
The only difference i saw was that regular pb uses hydrogenated oils and corn syrup, is there aynthing else that i didnt notice?

krazyassmexican
06-20-08, 12:30 pm
I just bought some natural PB today and the nutritional info is just about the same.
The only difference i saw was that regular pb uses hydrogenated oils and corn syrup, is there aynthing else that i didnt notice?

those 2 ingredients are good enough to make it unhealthy

natural peanut butter ingredients are nuts or probably nuts and salt

shizz702
06-20-08, 12:34 pm
Lol I'm curious to see what Hola Bola will have to say about this.

Giant Killer
06-20-08, 12:39 pm

Correct. Those two things are shit, not bricks, and you can't build a house with shit.

Huh?

mikejones1
06-20-08, 12:42 pm
i personally think jiff and all that bad pb tastes like ass anyways
the natty stuff is where its at, healthy good fats, and it tastes damn good
nothings better than smuckers natty

shizz702
06-20-08, 1:07 pm
Huh?
I've notice he's always mentioning natty pb. Just a joke.

Phildiesel
06-20-08, 1:11 pm
what do you guys think of the skippy natural? I like that the oil doesn't seperate on top, think it has like 2 or 3 grams of sugar.

prowrestler
06-20-08, 1:12 pm
peanut butter is peanut butter. if your eating,m who cares about a little bit of corn syrup, your bulking arent your?
if not and your cutting, my ask WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU EATING PEANUT BUTTTER???

Brutus_515
06-20-08, 1:13 pm
what do you guys think of the skippy natural? I like that the oil doesn't seperate on top, think it has like 2 or 3 grams of sugar.

its about the same as smuckers natural...not the best choice...but if thats all you can get beside jiffy or peter pan go for it

Phildiesel
06-20-08, 1:21 pm
ever heard of keto or the palumbo diet........you cut by eliminating carbs and burning fats for fuel.......natty pb is a great source of the good fats

krazyassmexican
06-20-08, 1:25 pm
peanut butter is peanut butter. if your eating,m who cares about a little bit of corn syrup, your bulking arent your?

even when you are bulkin you dont care about a healthy heart diet?

J Wong
06-20-08, 1:40 pm
its about the same as smuckers natural...not the best choice...but if thats all you can get beside jiffy or peter pan go for it

I don't agree, smuckers natural is just peanuts and salt.

IronWilson
06-20-08, 1:45 pm

Yeah but besides that, hydrogenated oils are trans fats. You don't eat fast food every day mainly because of the trans fat, right? So regular pb sucks.

FREEK
06-20-08, 3:25 pm
Agreed...I buy smartbalance natty pb with omega 3's and 6's. It's good stuff imo.

Hola Bola
06-20-08, 3:29 pm

Best natural PB ever... www.naturallymore.com

shizz702
06-20-08, 3:36 pm

Haha I got to get me some of that stuff bro!

naturalguy
06-20-08, 3:36 pm

Thats what I use. I like the fact that you don't have to stir it.

Pizzalamp
06-20-08, 4:28 pm

haha classic prowrestler

Rambo, John J.
06-20-08, 4:55 pm
i personally think jiff and all that bad pb tastes like ass anyways
the natty stuff is where its at, healthy good fats, and it tastes damn good
nothings better than smuckers natty

To tell you the truth, a lot of sugar loaded stuff tastes like ass after you go healthy. Like oatmeal. I usually make my own with regular oats, some raisins, cinnamon, almonds and flax oil. But I ran out of regular oats the other day and there was some of that lower sugar oatmeal packets in my cabinet. Even with only 4g of sugar, it still tasted like shit. I felt like I was eating spoonfuls of sugar. I can't imagine the regular pre packaged flavored oatmeal.

Thats what I use.

Yeah me too. I use almond butter as well.

Hoffdogg
06-20-08, 6:14 pm
Laura Scudders is damn good...

mikejones1
06-20-08, 6:26 pm

what do you eat for fats while on a cut?

Mighty Kev
06-20-08, 6:39 pm
only 2 or 3 grams of sugar isn't good at all for a 2 tbsp serving size, that's a lot of sugar bro. Peanutbutter should only have one ingredient; peanuts. Or if you insist, peanuts and salt

Cstlfx
06-20-08, 6:43 pm

Yes! I love that stuff. I'm horribly saddened because I can no longer find it anywhere around where I live. Best stuff ever.

Hola Bola
06-20-08, 6:49 pm
only 2 or 3 grams of sugar isn't good at all for a 2 tbsp serving size, that's a lot of sugar bro. Peanutbutter should only have one ingredient; peanuts. Or if you insist, peanuts and salt

You serious? I burn 3 grams of sugar just getting out of bed in the morning.

Yes! I love that stuff. I'm horribly saddened because I can no longer find it anywhere around where I live. Best stuff ever.

Wal-Mart is your friend.

Mighty Kev
06-20-08, 6:59 pm
haha, true but some people are avoiding the sugar in general. Some people are that strict Hola, I'm not either but try at least

06-20-08, 7:19 pm
Just looked at my Natty skippy jar....... Someone tell me about Palm oil. For some reason, I thought it was just peanuts, sugar and salt...... Never saw the palm oil in there.

Phil

naturalguy
06-20-08, 7:53 pm
You serious? I burn 3 grams of sugar just getting out of bed in the morning.

Good point

stumblin54
06-20-08, 8:04 pm

Do you disagree with PB on a cut?

Stumblin

Mighty Kev
06-20-08, 8:12 pm
I don't see why not eat PB on a cut, as long as it's not a lot. It keeps me full longer than other foods, but many people avoid it for the simple fact that it is very high in calories

J Wong
06-20-08, 8:18 pm
PB is the only food besides my cheat that I look forward to on a cut.

I can't wait to be able to eat it more often when I start bulking.

Mighty Kev
06-20-08, 8:21 pm
Amen to that, I love when you can put the 6 or 7 knife-fuls onto a piece of bread without worrying about counting cals

spyderman4g63
06-21-08, 3:52 am

The Smuckers natural I get is just peanuts and salt. Some of the so called "natural" pb's have ingredients I can't pronounce.

simpleguy
06-21-08, 7:20 am

peanuts naturally have some sugars in them, just as veggies do... so even your natty pb has sugars in it

The_Beast
06-21-08, 9:01 am
Brothers, I feel there are more troublesome things in Life than to worry about "Natural and Un-Natural" Peanut butter. Unless you have Physically Tested Both of them over an extended time frame, and Personally came to the Conclusion that "Natural/Un-Natural" Peanut butter builds a Better Body then don't argue on which one is better. This is like stating that Dumbells build better Pectorals than Barbells, or whatnot without actually testing your Hypothosis and showing any Evidence of your Claim. Hell, if your "Concious" about 2-3 Grams of Suger, you need to get a new Hobby. (By the Way, I HAVE used and Enjoy Natural PB Better on my previous 10 Week Precontest Diet, alittle over One Container of Skippy's Natural every Two Days. Other than that, I say "For Everyday Big Joe. Don't waste your Time, Buy Un-Natural in Store Brand Bulk.")

Pizzalamp
06-21-08, 9:44 am
Brothers, I feel there are more troublesome things in Life than to worry about "Natural and Un-Natural" Peanut butter. Unless you have Physically Tested Both of them over an extended time frame, and Personally came to the Conclusion that "Natural/Un-Natural" Peanut butter builds a Better Body then don't argue on which one is better. This is like stating that Dumbells build better Pectorals than Barbells, or whatnot without actually testing your Hypothosis and showing any Evidence of your Claim. Hell, if your "Concious" about 2-3 Grams of Suger, you need to get a new Hobby. (By the Way, I HAVE used and Enjoy Natural PB Better on my previous 10 Week Precontest Diet, alittle over One Container of Skippy's Natural every Two Days. Other than that, I say "For Everyday Big Joe. Don't waste your Time, Buy Un-Natural in Store Brand Bulk.")

agreed...i get much better results from dumbells instead of barbells during chest workouts...good point you beast

simpleguy
06-21-08, 10:37 am
[QUOTE=The_Beast;431531] Hell, if your "Concious" about 2-3 Grams of Suger, you need to get a new Hobby

well, if you can do something better, why not do it? so why not buy natty pb? because ultimately we are supposed to make the best choices... if not, I could choose some regular cereal over my oats (not much of a difference, right?), fries over boiled potatoes and so on... and if one eats half a jar of pb every day like you did in your diet those 2-3 gr of sugar from a tablespoon would be 20-30gr of sugar - not to mention the huge amount of fat, but I guess if it worked for you...

The_Beast
06-21-08, 10:50 am
[QUOTE=The_Beast;431531] Hell, if your "Concious" about 2-3 Grams of Suger, you need to get a new Hobby

well, if you can do something better, why not do it? so why not buy natty pb? because ultimately we are supposed to make the best choices... if not, I could choose some regular cereal over my oats (not much of a difference, right?), fries over boiled potatoes and so on... and if one eats half a jar of pb every day like you did in your diet those 2-3 gr of sugar from a tablespoon would be 20-30gr of sugar - not to mention the huge amount of fat, but I guess if it worked for you...

Price my Friend. Everyone isn't on an Unlimited Budget. You can nearly buy Triple the amount of Reg. Peanut butter for a Decent Natural now. I'm sorry, But if I can get the same results and equal the taste for cheaper, than I'm going that Route. Results are Results, don't matter how you slice'em.

simpleguy
06-21-08, 10:54 am
Price my Friend. Everyone isn't on an Unlimited Budget. You can nearly buy Triple the amount of Reg. Peanut butter for a Decent Natural now. I'm sorry, But if I can get the same results and equal the taste for cheaper, than I'm going that Route. Results are Results, don't matter how you slice'em.

true that, I'm on a budget as well and I understand

The_Beast
06-21-08, 10:56 am
true that, I'm on a budget as well and I understand
It's all Good Brother, Keep at it and Stay Strong. For Less ;)

mikejones1
06-21-08, 11:08 am

maybe there are more important thing to worry about, but this is a thread about penut butter, and when on a cut, going with natural pb is a better route than buying some jiff, reeses or skippy brands. getting the good fats in your body rather than the shitty ones and without the bad oils and other stabilizers that are in these "un-natural" pb's. thats what the discussion here was about.

the $3.29 i spend on 1lb of smuckers natty doesnt hurt the wallet that much
im sure the price of the "un-natural" pb is very similar

G Diesel
06-21-08, 11:32 am
If you eat natural peanut butter long enough, you can't go back... Regular PB tastes like junk food. I can feel the sugar on my teeth. Natty PB tastes wholesome and healthy. Even if your goal is to gain maximum size, you should want to provide the human machine with good fuel. Hydrogenated oils and hfcs have no place in the daily diet of a serious athlete and should be avoided if and when possible. Peace, G

mikejones1
06-21-08, 11:46 am
If you eat natural peanut butter long enough, you can't go back... Regular PB tastes like junk food. I can feel the sugar on my teeth. Natty PB tastes wholesome and healthy. Even if your goal is to gain maximum size, you should want to provide the human machine with good fuel. Hydrogenated oils and hfcs have no place in the daily diet of a serious athlete and should be avoided if and when possible. Peace, G

well there you go
doesnt get any simpler than that
end of thread.

The_Beast
06-21-08, 2:43 pm
G Diesel has a Valid Point, but it's like everything in life. I would rather eat, Tender, Juicy $20 Steaks or cuts of meat for Every Meal. Yet, I eat the Cheap stuff that Costs a Quarter of the Price, Feels like your Chewing a Boulder, but yeilds the same results in the Final Outcome. It all comes down to Income, and how much your willing to spend, In every walk of life. I hate to spill it, but not everyone has an Easy Time spending $300-$400 Per Two week period in the Grocery Store or makes an Average Salary of $50,000 Per Year. Starting out of Highschool, The usual is around $8.50-$9.00 Per Hour if your Lucky. If you work, 40 Hours a Week, your Bringing home less than $300 per week, and in conclusion, making around $14,500. Tell me this, along with that, Your paying $4.00 Per gallon to go to work and everywhere you need to drive, and then Gym Dues, Girlfriends, Phone Bills, Car Payments, and not counting College your Lucky if you can even afford a good meal once a week. And yes, this all progressed from Peanut Butter. You need to look on both sides, to Fully understand.

Mighty Kev
06-21-08, 2:56 pm
Great post G

Hola Bola
06-21-08, 3:34 pm
[QUOTE=simpleguy;431558]

1lb of Naturally More is $2.66 at Wal-mart... hard to beat that, regular or not.

atrain11b
06-21-08, 3:40 pm
1lb of Naturally More is $2.66 at Wal-mart... hard to beat that, regular or not.

I miss Wal-Mart

simpleguy
06-21-08, 3:47 pm

haha from your post it looks as if you quoted me... anyway, I would get natty pb if I just had it in my country

The_Beast
06-21-08, 3:52 pm
I shop at Walmart, and for Everyone's Information I do buy Natural Peanut Butter (skippy's natural) in the Rare case that I do buy peanut butter. I just don't like for Topics to go out without a proper defense in their favor. This got me thinking, to everyone that likes to bash old school logic. If you people care so much about the peanut butter that you purchase, then maybe next time take into consideration the nutritional value of the Slice of "Whole Wheat" bread you just toppled ontop of it. K'mon People. Eat like a Fucking man, don't cry about eating a few Grams of extra suger per day, or alittle pinch of un-healthy oil's and you might get somewhere with your lifting. That time come's in the Pre-contest Season, not the Offseason to which most is year around unless your a competitive athelete.

prowrestler
06-21-08, 6:02 pm
haha classic prowrestler

hehe, that would be me!

prowrestler
06-21-08, 6:11 pm
what do you eat for fats while on a cut?

not many people who powerlift go on cuts!!!!

but im a powerbuilder meaning i do the best of both worlds. i have never cut yet after 4 years. im not even 18 yet, i dont need to.

but what i will do when the time comes is use oils. why? well, i like peanut butter. so do many bodybuilders. whats wrong? on a cut you get cravings for old and familiar bulking foods. you'll see a tub full of peanut butter and be tempted. temted to put "AN" extra (my ass "AN" extra) spoon of peanut buttter. or you may say "well, it fit in the spoon... but its filled like a sumo wrestlers plate at a chinese buffet?"

now with oil, no body looks forward to drinking it. i can easily pour it out in a measuring cup and down it with water.

prowrestler
06-21-08, 6:12 pm
Do you disagree with PB on a cut?

Stumblin

yes, read my above post. you will see why my old friend Stumblin!

TheDarkHalf
06-21-08, 9:52 pm
I found this peanut butter.....seem like a good buy what do you guys think?

http://www.powerbutter.com/products.html#

knockout509
06-22-08, 12:09 am
hmm. looks a little complicated to me. but id prob try it lol
29.99 for a 4 pound tub. worth it?

Pizzalamp
06-22-08, 12:20 am
hmm. looks a little complicated to me. but id prob try it lol
29.99 for a 4 pound tub. worth it?

oh hell yeah

TheDarkHalf
06-22-08, 12:32 am
they even have to versions - powerbutter and powerbutter sport.

The only difference I found between the two was a tablespoon, reduced fat, reduced calories, and reduced protein. I may be picking up a tub of this in the near future.

simpleguy
06-22-08, 3:07 am
not many people who powerlift go on cuts!!!!

but im a powerbuilder meaning i do the best of both worlds. i have never cut yet after 4 years. im not even 18 yet, i dont need to.

but what i will do when the time comes is use oils. why? well, i like peanut butter. so do many bodybuilders. whats wrong? on a cut you get cravings for old and familiar bulking foods. you'll see a tub full of peanut butter and be tempted. temted to put "AN" extra (my ass "AN" extra) spoon of peanut buttter. or you may say "well, it fit in the spoon... but its filled like a sumo wrestlers plate at a chinese buffet?"

now with oil, no body looks forward to drinking it. i can easily pour it out in a measuring cup and down it with water.

I hear you lol, 2 tbsp of peanut butter can sometimes be a quarter of a jar when they are loaded as hell haha

prowrestler
06-23-08, 1:04 pm
I hear you lol, 2 tbsp of peanut butter can sometimes be a quarter of a jar when they are loaded as hell haha

haha yaa, ohhhh its 2 spoons only........ yet has 900 calories!!! great on a cut dont ya think?

krazyassmexican
06-23-08, 1:07 pm
heads up:

just FYI, you are not supposed to stir natty pb, you need to mix the oil with the butter or most of the healthy fat will go on your sink

The_Beast
06-23-08, 2:41 pm
Yo Brothers, went alittle Shopping today picked up some PB.
One Skippy's Natural (1.25LB) Is More Expensive than (2.5LBs) of Reg. Store Brand Peanut Butter. Know whats Even better? I bought the Store Brand, not the "Natural Brand" of Grape Jelly packed with enough suger to kill a Moose to run across my "Extremely" Unhealthy Peanut Butter also. All of this is going between two, Great Peices of 100% American White Bread.

Pizzalamp
06-23-08, 5:00 pm
Yo Brothers, went alittle Shopping today picked up some PB.
One Skippy's Natural (1.25LB) Is More Expensive than (2.5LBs) of Reg. Store Brand Peanut Butter. Know whats Even better? I bought the Store Brand, not the "Natural Brand" of Grape Jelly packed with enough suger to kill a Moose to run across my "Extremely" Unhealthy Peanut Butter also. All of this is going between two, Great Peices of 100% American White Bread.

a hard roll is better

naturalguy
06-23-08, 5:04 pm
heads up:

just FYI, you are not supposed to stir natty pb, you need to mix the oil with the butter or most of the healthy fat will go on your sink

If you don't stir it, how can you mix the oil with the butter???????????????????????

Mighty Kev
06-23-08, 5:09 pm
Haha, I usually only stir the natural peanutbutter once, then refridgerate so it stays together and fresh. Good point NG too

The_Beast
06-23-08, 5:34 pm
a hard roll is better

But the Price Tag, for 6 Bakery Roll's Isn't. Im for Quanity, as Long as I get the same Results.

The_Beast
06-23-08, 5:35 pm
If you don't stir it, how can you mix the oil with the butter???????????????????????

I think he means, just Scoop the Peanut butter out without messing with the Oil on top. I always Stirred it together, When I bought the Real Natural Kind.

Sir J-Werk
06-23-08, 5:55 pm

By forcing your will upon it....

Cstlfx
06-23-08, 6:49 pm
I found this peanut butter.....seem like a good buy what do you guys think?

http://www.powerbutter.com/products.html#

Thats an amp'd up version of Naturally More Peanut butter. I dont think 29.99 plus shipping is worth it. Even if you bougth 8 pounds of Naturally More (at 2.66 from walmart) its still cheaper. I'll stick with NMpb i may only get 20g of protein for 4 tbsp, but i can buy a lot more peanut butter.

naturalguy
06-23-08, 8:58 pm
I think he means, just Scoop the Peanut butter out without messing with the Oil on top. I always Stirred it together, When I bought the Real Natural Kind.

You SHOULD stir it

The_Beast
06-23-08, 9:11 pm
You SHOULD stir it

It's common sense to do so.

Hola Bola
06-23-08, 9:25 pm
Thats an amp'd up version of Naturally More Peanut butter. I dont think 29.99 plus shipping is worth it. Even if you bougth 8 pounds of Naturally More (at 2.66 from walmart) its still cheaper. I'll stick with NMpb i may only get 20g of protein for 4 tbsp, but i can buy a lot more peanut butter.

My thoughts exactly.

Pizzalamp
06-23-08, 9:54 pm
ive said it before...peanut butter and co is amazing...i tried having other pbs but i hated em...i love the crunch time kind

yeah that power butter is good stuff too...yummmm

gymEvo
06-23-08, 10:01 pm
i saw hola bola's diet...and was amazed...he only really gets a good meal in once a day...but the rest is basically natural PB and milk...im glued on that diet hahah...

BTW i used smuckers natural pb....its 2.99, but everything is more exp in new york then elsewhere.

gymEvo
06-23-08, 10:03 pm
ive said it before...peanut butter and co is amazing...i tried having other pbs but i hated em...i love the crunch time kind

yeah that power butter is good stuff too...yummmm

what do u mean by "co"?

Lightnin'
10-28-09, 12:47 pm
What are the benefits of Natural Peanut butter compared to regular Peanut butter? I thought the main argument on the forum was that regular pb has a lot of sugar. I checked the back of a Jif extra crunchy and it only has 3grams per serving? Help me out???

adidas
10-28-09, 12:54 pm
hydrogenated oils

J-Dawg
10-28-09, 12:58 pm
I live by the motto that if you don't have to refrigerate the PB after opening, then it's not for me--Usually extra hydrogenated oil and sugar are added to the PB that you can leave out.

prowrestler
10-28-09, 1:04 pm
i eat regular PB. im fine lol

adidas
10-28-09, 1:09 pm
I live by the motto that if you don't have to refrigerate the PB after opening, then it's not for me--Usually extra hydrogenated oil and sugar are added to the PB that you can leave out.

I have bought and ground my own PB and never once refridgerated it....and freshly ground PB doesn't seperate from the oil...

why would it need to be chilled once opened?

fenix237
10-28-09, 1:12 pm
natty PB has a lot less "crap" in it than regular (if that matters to you)- i eat smuckers natty- the labels states 2 ingredients; peanuts and salt. i've come to like the taste more than regular PB too YMMV

C.Coronato
10-28-09, 1:13 pm
What are the benefits of Natural Peanut butter compared to regular Peanut butter? I thought the main argument on the forum was that regular pb has a lot of sugar. I checked the back of a Jif extra crunchy and it only has 3grams per serving? Help me out???

Some add sugar, not all. But what most guys are seeing is the shitty additives they add for taste, preservatives, and separation.

J-Dawg
10-28-09, 1:15 pm
I have bought and ground my own PB and never once refridgerated it....and freshly ground PB doesn't seperate from the oil...

why would it need to be chilled once opened?

The fats in natty PB tend to turn rancid.

Mr. Dead
10-28-09, 1:18 pm

Definitely...

charlievanriper
10-28-09, 1:45 pm
I've been buying and eating Trader Joes Natural organic PB for yrs and never once have I put it in the refrig.
Dude the reason Natural is better is thiers no chemical additives ( all the guys can eat whatever they want its up to them) but if it has more than Salt, and Peanuts on the ingrediant label stay the hell away from it, unless you want to ingest artificial crap.
And if you want to watch your salt intake get salt free and then it should only say Peanuts period.

J-Dawg
10-28-09, 2:13 pm
I've been buying and eating Trader Joes Natural organic PB for yrs and never once have I put it in the refrig.
Dude the reason Natural is better is thiers no chemical additives ( all the guys can eat whatever they want its up to them) but if it has more than Salt, and Peanuts on the ingrediant label stay the hell away from it, unless you want to ingest artificial crap.
And if you want to watch your salt intake get salt free and then it should only say Peanuts period.

I think the label will tell you to refrigerate after opening. I'm extremely anal about food and how to store it, lol.

GJN5002
10-28-09, 2:15 pm
I think the label will tell you to refrigerate after opening. I'm extremely anal about food and how to store it, lol.

I agree, I throw things away if they have sat out of the fridge for more than an hour. I think I have OCD though, thats self diagnosed haha.

puremx242
10-28-09, 2:15 pm
natural PB all the way even tast better....

adidas
10-28-09, 2:41 pm

I guess do to my 5 yr old love of PB & J sammies we never found this out...he runs through about a 1lb of PB a week! lol

charlievanriper
10-28-09, 2:55 pm

Ya probably but a 16oz bottle only lasts half a week in my house lol.
and since I've been doing it this way for ( jeez I cant remember, even mom used to keep PB in the pantry when I was little) the only time I refrig is if I change brands ( which I do sometimes) Smuckers has an all natural that I used to get and the oil seperates. So then you keep it in the Refrig and the Oil will not separate.
The way I keep mine in the pantry is constantly turing the bottle over and it keeps the PB and Oil mixed ( I think this helps to keep it fresher because I have never had a problem with Rancitity)

adidas
10-28-09, 3:07 pm
and since I've been doing it this way for ( jeez I cant remember, even mom used to keep PB in the pantry when I was little) the only time I refrig is if I change brands ( which I do sometimes) Smuckers has an all natural that I used to get and the oil seperates. So then you keep it in the Refrig and the Oil will not separate.
The way I keep mine in the pantry is constantly turing the bottle over and it keeps the PB and Oil mixed ( I think this helps to keep it fresher because I have never had a problem with Rancitity)

me eitehr...and I use to get the kind you get to grind up in the store and put in a tub...

Beowulf
10-28-09, 3:18 pm
natural PB all the way even tast better....

I like the taste of conventional PB myself, but natural is definitely healthier.... But less convenient.

J-Dawg
10-28-09, 3:26 pm
I guess do to my 5 yr old love of PB & J sammies we never found this out...he runs through about a 1lb of PB a week! lol

I think if you guys go through it so fast, there shouldn't be much of a concern with rancidity. Only if it sits for awhile without being used.

Aggression
10-28-09, 3:33 pm
I go through different feelings. Most of the time I just buy regular PB, but every once in a while I'll scoop a jug of natty PB. I know there are some additives and other shit in the regular kind, but I'm OK with that. I don't delve that deep into stuff like that.

There are far worse things to eat than regular PB. Hmm anybody got a Hungry-Man dinner laying around?

Beowulf
10-28-09, 3:42 pm
I go through different feelings. Most of the time I just buy regular PB, but every once in a while I'll scoop a jug of natty PB. I know there are some additives and other shit in the regular kind, but I'm OK with that. I don't delve that deep into stuff like that.

There are far worse things to eat than regular PB. Hmm anybody got a Hungry-Man dinner laying around?

I used to eat Hungry-Man dinners all the time, especially the fried chicken one. For the really hungry men, there's Hungry-Man XXL with 1 1/2 pounds of food! Eat 1-2 of those and down it all with 2 liters of diet pop.

Beowulf
10-28-09, 4:06 pm
oh great.... you have to refrigerate it..... I did not know that.

You have to think of natty PB as you would any other natural food (and oils, like flaxseed oil). Refrigeration helps prevent it from spoiling, including the oils from peanuts. That's one reason why regular PB is more convenient.

Aggression
10-28-09, 4:22 pm
I used to eat Hungry-Man dinners all the time, especially the fried chicken one. For the really hungry men, there's Hungry-Man XXL with 1 1/2 pounds of food! Eat 1-2 of those and down it all with 2 liters of diet pop.

I used to eat those when I was a young buck. Then I took a look at the nutritional info: Easily 1,000 calories and just as much, if not more sodium. Not to mention, the amount of 'other ingredients' is about as long as a children's novel.

Beowulf
10-28-09, 4:35 pm
I used to eat those when I was a young buck. Then I took a look at the nutritional info: Easily 1,000 calories and just as much, if not more sodium. Not to mention, the amount of 'other ingredients' is about as long as a children's novel.

Ha, right about sodium and other ingredients. But lemme say, it bulked me up in a hurry.

Aggression
10-28-09, 4:38 pm
Ha, right about sodium and other ingredients. But lemme say, it bulked me up in a hurry.

If you can eat that large box of 'stuff' and gain good weight, then more power to you bro. I'm mad jealous. As for me, if I eat one of those, I'll be hurting for a few days. I remember when I used to be able to pound that stuff with no consequences. Now I keep hearing that one line from the movie 'Big Daddy', when Sandler says, ''If I have a milkshake, my ass jiggles for a week''.

Good thing peanut butter, either natural or regular, doesn't have that same effect. I love me some peanut butter. I get it back in 3 days!

Beowulf
10-28-09, 4:44 pm
If you can eat that large box of 'stuff' and gain good weight, then more power to you bro. I'm mad jealous. As for me, if I eat one of those, I'll be hurting for a few days. I remember when I used to be able to pound that stuff with no consequences. Now I keep hearing that one line from the movie 'Big Daddy', when Sandler says, ''If I have a milkshake, my ass jiggles for a week''.

Good thing peanut butter, either natural or regular, doesn't have that same effect. I love me some peanut butter. I get it back in 3 days!

Yeah, I'm fortunate this way. I can eat fast food and bulk up pretty efficiently without all the extra fat. Why are you off the PB?

prowrestler
10-28-09, 4:54 pm
Yeah, I'm fortunate this way. I can eat fast food and bulk up pretty efficiently without all the extra fat. Why are you off the PB?

his show is common up in a matter of hours lol

The German Wolf
10-28-09, 4:55 pm
I eat the Skippy "Natural" every day. The key with the "Natural" PB is the lack of hydrogenated oil, which I'm told does not break down in your system. The Skippy natural is pretty good. It doesn't need to be stirred like some other natural PB brands I have seen where the oil is sitting at the top of the jar. To fix this use one blade of a hand mixer. It works pretty good. If that's too much hassle, buy the Skippy brand.

The german Wolf

charlievanriper
10-28-09, 6:35 pm
me eitehr...and I use to get the kind you get to grind up in the store and put in a tub...

ya me too bro Sprouts and Sunflower have organic pesticide free peanuts and a grinder, I used to get it done all the time. Then I discovered Trader Joes and they have Organic all natural and its cheap ( so way easier for my busy schedule. I cant stand the taste of regular commercial PB anymore ( the sweet sugar taste just makes me ill, I want to taste real peanuts not sugar)

charlievanriper
10-28-09, 6:36 pm
I eat the Skippy "Natural" every day. The key with the "Natural" PB is the lack of hydrogenated oil, which I'm told does not break down in your system. The Skippy natural is pretty good. It doesn't need to be stirred like some other natural PB brands I have seen where the oil is sitting at the top of the jar. To fix this use one blade of a hand mixer. It works pretty good. If that's too much hassle, buy the Skippy brand.

The german Wolf

Just everytime you use it turn it over.

charlievanriper
10-28-09, 6:37 pm

It does lol I just checked, but like I said it doesnt last long enough to go bad.

Aggression
10-29-09, 9:00 am

his show is common up in a matter of hours lol

This ^^. Good looks, P. Yeah I have a show on Saturday, so my only fats have been from extra virgin olive oil and dry roasted unsalted peanuts. But even those have been cut now. Two more days ...

fenix237
10-29-09, 1:21 pm
This ^^. Good looks, P. Yeah I have a show on Saturday, so my only fats have been from extra virgin olive oil and dry roasted unsalted peanuts. But even those have been cut now. Two more days ...

^good luck Bro! hope you kick some ass!

a little trick i do when you have natty pb that is a little dry or hard is to put in in the microwave for 15-20 secs, depending how much is in there. word of caution tho; if you use plastic jars that use sealed foil for freshness, the remaining bit on the edges will light up your mic like 4th of July....i use Smuckers Natty

IRBS
10-29-09, 1:37 pm

The german Wolf

Skippy uses Palm Oil. If the ingredients are anything but Salt and Peanuts, it's not what most people would use for a "Natural Peanut Butter" source. Yes, Palm Oil is "natural" but is not ideal for why we use "Natural PB."

That said, when not dieting, I use Skippy Natural quite often.

Beowulf
10-29-09, 2:36 pm
Skippy uses Palm Oil. If the ingredients are anything but Salt and Peanuts, it's not "Natural Peanut Butter."

That said, when not dieting, I use Skippy Natural quite often.

What do you mean? Palm oil is natural, derived from the oil palm. It's not hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated palm oil.

IRBS
10-29-09, 2:50 pm
What do you mean? Palm oil is natural, derived from the oil palm. It's not hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated palm oil.

It's not ideal if you are dieting.

Beowulf
10-29-09, 3:07 pm
It's not ideal if you are dieting.

What does dieting have to do your original comments about palm oil not being natural? And why is natty peanut butter OK if you are dieting but not palm oil? I don't get it.

IRBS
10-29-09, 3:24 pm
What does dieting have to do your original comments about palm oil not being natural? And why is natty peanut butter OK if you are dieting but not palm oil? I don't get it.

It is just not ideal, it's higher in saturated fat and there are MUCH better fat sources out there to choose from when dieting. If I'm busting busting my ass dieting, I dont play around with borderline foods (I dont consider palm oil borderline in this case, I try to avoid it when dieting). But, if you are dieting and want to eat a jar of skippy, go for it. Let us know how it goes.

If I'm not dieting, I eat Skippy Natty a lot (as Palm Oil is better than the hydrodenated stuff in Jiff...LOL, and it spreads better than regular natty PB). If I am dieting (now) I stick to regular natural PB, which contains salt and peanuts, and thats it.

Just because something is "natural" does not mean it is good for you. I REALLY like pork, but eating a ton of bacon everyday isnt very good for me either.

Beowulf
10-29-09, 3:31 pm
It is just not ideal, it's higher in saturated fat and there are MUCH better fat sources out there to choose from when dieting. If I'm busting busting my ass dieting, I dont play around with borderline foods (I dont consider palm oil borderline in this case, I try to avoid it when dieting). But, if you are dieting and want to eat a jar of skippy, go for it. Let us know how it goes.

If I'm not dieting, I eat Skippy Natty a lot (as Palm Oil is better than the hydrodenated stuff in Jiff...LOL, and it spreads better than regular natty PB). If I am dieting (now) I stick to regular natural PB, which contains salt and peanuts, and thats it.

Just because something is "natural" does not mean it is good for you. I REALLY like pork, but eating a ton of bacon everyday isnt very good for me either.

I understand why they use palm oil and you're right, palm oil is high in saturated fats. Then again, so is coconut oil, which is popular among bodybuilders. Still, it has a good amount of monounsaturated fats too. I wasn't debating that Skippy Natural was good for you. Only questioning why you said it wasn't natural because it contained palm oil.

Aggression
10-29-09, 3:52 pm

I agree with you here, IRBS. Skippy Natty isn't 100% natural PB, but its better than the regular PB jars out there. I usually stick to this for a happy medium while bulking/not doing a contest diet.

But when I'm in contest diet mode, my only fats come from unsalted dry roasted peanuts and extra virgin olive oil.

ingredients for the dry roasted:
- Ingredients: peanuts
- contains: peanut

Beowulf
10-29-09, 3:54 pm
I agree with you here, IRBS. Skippy Natty isn't 100% natural PB, but its better than the regular PB jars out there.

Again, what's not "natural" about it? Palm oil (natural), salt (natural), roasted peanuts (natural), sugar (natural)? Seems natural to me. Organic? No, but natural, yes. No chemicals, nothing artificial as far as I can tell.

Aggression
10-29-09, 3:56 pm
Again, what's not "natural" about it? Palm oil (natural), salt (natural), roasted peanuts (natural), sugar (natural)?

I just meant that if you pick up a jar of Skippy Natural and compare it to the contents (not ingredients) of a jar of, say, Smuckers Natural Peanut butter, they're two different animals. The Skippy resembles a jar of regular peanut butter, while the Smuckers has that oil atop the product.

Honestly, in the end, we're splitting hairs about the difference in ingredients. I'm just saying, when I'm in contest mode, I'm choosing the dry roasted, taking no chances. In the off season, I'm choosing the Skippy Natural. Why? Well because I don't like the oily shit! haha.

Beowulf
10-29-09, 3:57 pm
I just meant that if you pick up a jar of Skippy Natural and compare it to the contents (not ingredients) of a jar of, say, Smuckers Natural Peanut butter, they're two different animals. The Skippy resembles a jar of regular peanut butter, while the Smuckers has that oil atop the product.

So to you, oil floating on top of PB is what makes it "natural"? Got it.

Aggression
10-29-09, 3:58 pm
So to you, oil floating on top of PB is what makes it "natural"? Got it.

I edited my post above to make my opinion more clear.

Beowulf
10-29-09, 4:01 pm
I edited my post above to make my opinion more clear.

Ha, yes. Much more clear, thanks;)

IRBS
10-29-09, 4:33 pm
I understand why they use palm oil and you're right, palm oil is high in saturated fats. Then again, so is coconut oil, which is popular among bodybuilders. Still, it has a good amount of monounsaturated fats too. I wasn't debating that Skippy Natural was good for you. Only questioning why you said it wasn't natural because it contained palm oil.

Ok, since you seem to be really, really into splitting hairs, I edited my origional response. Yes, Palm Oil is "Natural." So is lard.

Beowulf
10-29-09, 4:36 pm
Ok, since you seem to be really, really into splitting hairs, I edited my origional response. Yes, Palm Oil is "Natural." So is lard.

Splitting hairs? Nah. I was just being a little difficult. But hey, I admit it. I'll take palm oil over lard any day though;)

GJN5002
10-29-09, 6:50 pm
regarding palm oil and natural peanut butter, its unnatural because there isnt palm oil in a peanut and natural peanut butter should be ground peanuts. theres a million opinions on palm oil, i dont eat it, i like coconut oil more.

GJN5002
11-03-09, 4:28 pm
found this
Palmitate (palm oil) turns off a cell's ability to burn fat
http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(09)00229-0

Beowulf
11-04-09, 9:06 am
Ok, peanut plants are susceptible to the toxic mold aspergillus flavus which can create a carcinogenic substance called aflatoxin. As it's impossible to remove aflatoxins, contamination of peanuts and peanut butter is monitored in many countries to ensure safe levels of this carcinogen. Average American peanut butter contains aflatoxins. Peanut butter recalls are often linked to salmonella. Peanut oil has been linked to heavy clogging of arteries too.

The point being, you can cast stones at anything, and make anything look bad. All you need is the internets;)

GJN5002
11-04-09, 10:35 am
Ok, peanut plants are susceptible to the toxic mold aspergillus flavus which can create a carcinogenic substance called aflatoxin. As it's impossible to remove aflatoxins, contamination of peanuts and peanut butter is monitored in many countries to ensure safe levels of this carcinogen. Average American peanut butter contains aflatoxins. Peanut butter recalls are often linked to salmonella. Peanut oil has been linked to heavy clogging of arteries too.

The point being, you can cast stones at anything, and make anything look bad. All you need is the internets;)

do you mean raw peanut oil or cooked peanut oil, most oils oxidize when cooked

Aggression
11-04-09, 10:41 am
Despite all the science and internet jargon about the 'best' types of peanut butter, I went out and bought 2 jars of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter and I'm housing that shit, not worrying about a damn thing. And its fantastic.

NJC_Manhattan
11-04-09, 10:58 am
This has probably been said, but brands like jiff and skippy are corn based products. Buy natural or even better make your own.

Beowulf
11-04-09, 1:56 pm
do you mean raw peanut oil or cooked peanut oil, most oils oxidize when cooked

Despite all the science and internet jargon about the 'best' types of peanut butter, I went out and bought 2 jars of Skippy Natural Peanut Butter and I'm housing that shit, not worrying about a damn thing. And its fantastic.

You cook with peanut oil and you got a whole host of other problems;) But I think you missed my point. Aggression gets it tho.