PDA

View Full Version : Screamers & Screaming

SolidTongan
06-03-07, 8:08 pm
Okay, here's the scenario:
You're training for strength now. You're going heavy on all of your lifts, and you're now on squats. You have completed two agonizing reps and still have one more to go...

Does screaming actually help you lift the weight? Will it actually help you explode the weight up? Or do people just do it to get everbody's attention?

PuSHiT89
06-03-07, 8:11 pm
screaming....doesnt help anything. (IMO) you really dont need to force yourself to exert any extra energy during lifts... if any noise comes out it should be naturally. i have never found myself to scream, maybe a little grunt or hiss during the last few reps, but nothing really extreme. and no... that does not make me a puss haha

Soldier
06-03-07, 8:11 pm
I think it's kinda like letting off steam; the heavy lift is puttin all kinds of pressure on your body, it's gotta come out somewhere. I have Jay's dvd "One Step Closer", and during some heavy lifts (deads, hacks, front squats) he screams quite a bit.

Or maybe you just want people to admire your lifting. Just my thoughts

BamBam
06-03-07, 8:18 pm
I grunt like I am trying to shit out a panzer tank when I am going HEAVY...so...screaming is ok in my book. I mean if you do it right I guess...nice and manly...kinda like Arnold in Predator. I do think that there is a certain weight though for when screaming is appropriate...nothing light.

Angst
06-03-07, 8:19 pm
I think its a personal thing, just do whatever feels natural to you.
That being said, Schak once said:"Its good to train like a Animal, but you don't have to act like an asshole while doing it."
Also in the Animal training videos, Wrath trains pretty hardcore but he never screams.

MELTDOWN
06-03-07, 8:38 pm
unfortunately, too many do it to draw attention to themselves. that said, if you're squatting 600lb, then a grunt or scream is in order.....not trying to d/l 135lbs or bench 95lbs. in almost 20 years of training i have only screamed once, and that was last summer when i broke my wrist, but never while moving the weight. grunt or push the air out, you bet 'cha.
also, it's a good way to get your membership cancelled at most "workout facilities"

KILLEMALL79
06-03-07, 8:38 pm
The actual science behind screaming while you lift is very simple and pertains to all excersizes i will explain the squat. Before a rep you take a deep breath and hold it all the way down and all the way up untill you are in the quarter squat position when yo lock the squat out is then you fully exhale and then take your next breath in and repeat. Why you ask because when you inhale your lungs expand and the pressure while in the squat position actaully helps u maintain proper form by keeping your abs and core tight while squating heavy to prove my point try this. With the bar on your back go down and up while holding your breath. Then try it and when at the bottom of the squat exhale on your way up you might feel off balance and maybe rely on your lowerback more to complete the excersize

Testpolska
06-03-07, 8:56 pm
I don't think I've ever 'screamed' But theres no shame in giving a battle yell when in the squat rack during a set. For me its simple. When I give that loud cry out. I know now people are lookin at me...and my pride won't let me fail the rep.

Don't get me wrong I'm usually very quiet when lifting but on a day of heavy squats, anything to get the reps out as far as I'm concerned.

Phil800101
06-03-07, 9:31 pm
I've never really screamed while lifting. Sometimes, when going really heavy (especially on squats or deads) at some point I'll let out a grunt that is loud, but more akin to a "battle cry" than a scream. I never really plan on doing it, it just happens. That being said, I agree with what's been said on here. I think it's all a personal preference thing, and you hafta do what feels right. If it feels right and/or helps you to express your exertion (let off steam, as it was said), go for it. On the other hand, don't force it. Also, if you're doing it just to draw attention to yourself than you probably are a tool. It's one thing to take pride in yourself and your accomplishments, but you should do so with tact and dignity. Screaming for no other reason than to draw attention to yourself is just plain asinine.

feelthepain12
06-03-07, 9:59 pm
I agree with everyone else on here. As long as you don't force it, you should be good. It's helped me before and I think it's just cuz it helps motivate you even further, like blaring loud music out of a stereo or mp3 while you lift. The louder the noise, the more fired up you get.

ncsu06
06-04-07, 2:03 am
i don't necessarily scream or yell....i might get a grunt out every once in a while...i think it is mostly mental..just like crying when you were a kid...you thought crying made everything feel better but it really never did...just like screaming or grunting...you think it is going to help you get that weight up...as long as you believe it is helping that is all that matters..do what you got to do to put the weight up...good luck brothers..

BamBam
06-04-07, 2:18 am
What exactly qualifies as a battle cry or what? I mean, we need to clarify here...and this might not be really fair to say "dont grunt" or "dont scream" with a certain weight...cuz maybe what is light for me, may be heavy as shit for some new guys just starting out...Hell I know at some point we all couldnt just squat the house or bench it either...we gotta start somewhere.

BamBam
06-04-07, 2:21 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWlPCT_mc8

This is what I am talking about!

crypto
06-04-07, 4:52 am
screaming....doesnt help anything. (IMO) you really dont need to force yourself to exert any extra energy during lifts... if any noise comes out it should be naturally. i have never found myself to scream, maybe a little grunt or hiss during the last few reps, but nothing really extreme. and no... that does not make me a puss haha

its a scientific fact that you cannot reach ure full potential strength unless you scream.

crypto
06-04-07, 4:58 am
unfortunately, too many do it to draw attention to themselves. that said, if you're squatting 600lb, then a grunt or scream is in order.....not trying to d/l 135lbs or bench 95lbs.

that aint rite, cuz what mite be weak for you, mite be 20 times harder for the next guy. i dare you to go teach biochemistry at a university, and if you dont know the material, of course its gonna be hard to teach it cuz ure new to it. same shit, he mite be new to the lifting game or at least he aint got 20 years of training under his belt.

sephiroth_31ph
06-04-07, 7:17 am
it might be to get some attention, like in our gym.. 1st time in my life i've seen a
200+lbs guy doin squat 80lbs scream so loud and he's all red...he look at us and you could see to his face that reads "bet you cant lift this weaklings!!" by the way his lifting for almost a 3 years already..

spartan300
06-04-07, 7:18 am
unfortunately, too many do it to draw attention to themselves. that said, if you're squatting 600lb, then a grunt or scream is in order.....not trying to d/l 135lbs or bench 95lbs. in almost 20 years of training i have only screamed once, and that was last summer when i broke my wrist, but never while moving the weight. grunt or push the air out, you bet 'cha.
also, it's a good way to get your membership cancelled at most "workout facilities"

You are correct Sir!

MELTDOWN
06-04-07, 1:03 pm
that aint rite, cuz what mite be weak for you, mite be 20 times harder for the next guy. i dare you to go teach biochemistry at a university, and if you dont know the material, of course its gonna be hard to teach it cuz ure new to it. same shit, he mite be new to the lifting game or at least he aint got 20 years of training under his belt.

good point and well taken, but why does that same guy have to yell as trying to wake the dead ???? i am NOT knocking at new guys geting into training, nor them busting their azzes to make gains. my point should have been made clearer...lots of guys move tonage and barely make a peep. too many guys show up in their x armor gear, carrying the "super vita water" bottle, and rip, snort and scream just to get some eye time.

humanforklift
06-04-07, 1:10 pm
heavy ass weight is heavy ass weight. I can't emulate the noises I make in the gym because I'm never doing those activities outside of the gym. In other words, when I'm deadlifting 500 lbs. , I can't control the noises leaving my body. Even though my breathing is controlled, I can't go into a big lift without psyching myself up. I know some guys get calm before a big lift. To each his own I suppose...

18-Delta
06-04-07, 1:38 pm
I grunt like I am trying to shit out a panzer tank...

LOL, Now that's funny.

k1usa
06-04-07, 2:50 pm
its funny..but in the fighting arts...as in Martial arts....Muay Thai....kick boxing....there is a thing we do...called ...and pronounced.. Key-ie......its the sound one makes on impact...its a release of energy at point of hit or being hit....and when Im banging it....in the gym....i have my own way of dealing with the power and release...I dont secream...but have my noise I make...breathing kinda thing..when Im hitting it hard....When I trained with my son in the ring...I was getting hit more than hitting..and thoes sounds were one of air coming out of my lungs...and pain being registered in my body......

Wasteland
06-04-07, 2:53 pm
If it helps, why not?

Maccabee
06-04-07, 3:06 pm
Some people say screaming dont help, but I think it does. I have seen myself plenty of times getting stuck during squats where I had to rely on my screaming to get that extra boost. There is a right time for it. Dont be an asshole about it and frickin yell every set of every rep. Either way check this vidoe out it is pretty frickin cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tOxtGCrx4s

Budsbythebeach
06-04-07, 4:12 pm
of course it cant just be forced, i rarely use it myself, but i think atleast with myself it helps to get you angry, boost adrenaline.

Dedicated2Liftin
06-04-07, 4:48 pm
I don't know about screamin, but I'll admit a good grunt from time to time gets me through a few of my heavier sets. Having said that, I don't think it's necessary for someone to scream like a fuckin silverback on every rep of every set (see my prev post about the jackass in the gym). Do what works for you, but try and be respectful of those around you too.

Cstlfx
06-04-07, 5:05 pm
I grunt all the time at the gym, but never have screamed. I have screamed in my little home gym because no one was around to bother. I feel that if it calls for it, go ahead and do it, but it shouldnt be all the time, just once in a great while.

king1
06-04-07, 10:08 pm
Before a heavy set, on rare occasions like my last set of deads or benching to psyche myself up i will grunt, it almost sounds like barking. Whether it does anything physically i would doubt it, but i have no doubt that is gets me ready. Also sometimes to get the last rep or two on anything super heavy i will yell and IT WORKS. whether it is just making me feel like im stronger or somehow actually gives me more power i dont care. Yelling, grunting, whatever works and every big lift ive ever seen has come with some kind of loud noise

Rags
06-05-07, 6:08 am
In Martial Arts were trained to release a "KIAI" at the point of an attack. KIAI is usually linked to the inner amassing of energy released in a single explosive focus of will. (think this can relate to us brothers??) IT primes yourself for combat, by "amping yourself up." Protect the lower body by rapidly contracting the transverse abdominals and other core muscles, shielding the internal organs.

Yelling and grunting does have its time an place.

MassMonster
06-06-07, 3:24 pm
i havent ever felt the need to scream...persay ive grunted or let out a low growl or sum but ... i could see it being needed especially when deadin'...or squatting cuz damn does that last rep lay u out 4 a loop....

The Epidemic
06-06-07, 9:55 pm
My belt has become thin and flimsy over the years... BB .com has a 4in Power lifting belt for 20$ on sale.. Should i not get it bc its for powerlifting.

Animal use to see belts but they stopped

SolidTongan
06-09-07, 8:39 pm
Thanks everybody for the advice!!!!!

BamBam
06-09-07, 10:51 pm
No problemo...I have actually noticed myself grunting more after this thread...

sephiroth_31ph
06-11-07, 7:22 am
nice one Bam...:)

naturalguy
06-11-07, 5:21 pm
I rarely make noise when training however sometimes it comes out but it has to be something natural. I feel too many people scream to seem hardcore.

brandonA
06-11-07, 5:27 pm
I rarely make noise when training however sometimes it comes out but it has to be something natural. I feel too many people scream to seem hardcore.

I agree...Saturday on my last rep of deads..a mighty growl came out...Danny said he though my head was going to explode....so it was a pressure realse...

-B

eric downey
06-11-07, 5:32 pm
i like the guy the doesnt with like the 15lb db for shoulder presses. and then he throws that shit down and stairs down the mirrior. thats my fav guy in the gym. it makes anyday a better day.

BamBam
06-11-07, 8:11 pm
i like the guy the doesnt with like the 15lb db for shoulder presses. and then he throws that shit down and stairs down the mirrior. thats my fav guy in the gym. it makes anyday a better day.

AGREED!

MassMonster
06-11-07, 10:43 pm
funny guys reppin low weight and screaming always makes me chuckle cuz come on we all remember when we were that guy....

Irish_Basterd
11-06-09, 3:01 pm
Not really sure if this has been brought up before, cuz I tried a search but didn't know exactly what to look for, lol. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone here qualified as a screamer in the gym. Yes I know that if the weight is really heavy you may tend to "grunt" slightly while lifting it. I'm talking about the people that you can hear from anywhere in the gym.

Almost nothing bothers me more than these people (well people that hog the dumbbells and don't put the weight back but that's a different thread). Working out at college me and my buddy that I lift with actually used to look around at people that would come in and bet (not money or anything) on whether they were a screamer or not. Usually the type is big chest +big arms+ and a greek shirt=screamer. At first it's hilarious listening to them, but after about five minutes you wanna just go and shut them up.

Normally I think people do this to get attention and as if to say, "hey look how much weight I can lift." Almost like a macho-man type of attitude. Now this is really annoying and I could almost understand if there were females in the weight room, but the way the gym is set up here there are no (and I mean absolutely no females) that ever workout with the weights. (OK I exaggerated a bit, I have seen girls down there like twice). So I think it's humorous that these guys go out of their way to impress other, well guys.

Anyway, I'm there is one guy there in particular. I've only ever seen him there training chest and arms. He is the poster child for more illicit supplements, and he grunts loud enough that you can hear him 50 yards away. I guess I was more curious to see if anyone else gets really annoyed by this, or does this (hopefully not).

andrewT
11-06-09, 4:23 pm

bingo.

actually in my class last year we looked over a study that PROVES screaming while lifting heavy weights increases adrenaline and increases strength for those last few reps.

11-06-09, 4:25 pm
Scream or not. Clench or not. Spit or not. I'll do whatever it takes to get the iron up.

mcbeast
11-06-09, 4:25 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCG_ETMZvyg

Only scream allowed..

A grunt here and there is okay..People who unrack 225 and do 1/4 squats is unacceptable..

xxscaxx
11-06-09, 4:55 pm
i really get annoyed when people scream. seriously....im pulling 475 on deads and i dont make a noise other than breathing. only noise you hear is me touching the weight down on the mat. im not bragging im just using an example here.

i can understand that sometimes youll grunt, hell i've done that before but never purposely, and its never loud to wear someone else would pick there head up like someone just got murdered in the gym. unless your getting ran over by a fucking truck you shouldnt be screaming that loud (or if your ronnie coleman, because well lets just face it, hes the man and can lol).

theres this one dude in my gym, hes actually a pretty built dude, not huge but is cut like you wouldnt believe. i respect him b/c he trains his ass off but he screams and grunts on EVERYTHING. alright, maybe if its a shitload of weight you can get away with it, but even the light sets its just screaming...

jeff00z28
11-07-09, 2:37 am
its only allowed on compound movements imo

D-NUTZ
11-07-09, 8:43 am
Not sure if this is true or not...i remember reading somewhere that yelling during a tough rep will release some adrenaline and it will accually help you with that last rep. It sounds like bull but who knows.

andrewT
11-07-09, 9:38 am
Not sure if this is true or not...i remember reading somewhere that yelling during a tough rep will release some adrenaline and it will accually help you with that last rep. It sounds like bull but who knows.

"studies show it"

look at my earlier post

Mindaugas
11-07-09, 6:45 pm
If i got my ipod on and i can hear you whining and screaming you need to keep it down. Some people make such noises as if they were being skinned alive.

Dr.Platypus
11-07-09, 7:53 pm
you scream at the bottom you loose power. period.

Maybe as you exhale towards the end of your last heavy rep you let out a yell, that is all right, that is natural.

I'll grunt, but I try to stay tight and you start screaming or yelling and i guarantee you aren't as tight as you should be.

Cstlfx
11-07-09, 8:04 pm
you scream at the bottom you loose power. period.

Maybe as you exhale towards the end of your last heavy rep you let out a yell, that is all right, that is natural.

I'll grunt, but I try to stay tight and you start screaming or yelling and i guarantee you aren't as tight as you should be.

No, its the opposite, you scream or exhale violently/strongly, and you'll tighten up very well. Its the one of the purposes behind a Kiai in martial arts. When you exhale very hard, your diaphragm and abdominals will tighten up in order to release it all.

However, screaming at the bottom you will lose power because you'll run out of enough air at the top.

I keep my war cries to a minimum to not scare people away. I agree with other though. Only on your last set of a heavy compound movement, I may even make an exception for really long burn-out sets on machines a la Tom Platz.

Dr.Platypus
11-07-09, 8:12 pm
While you can stay tight by exhaling, you will get a much better weightlifting tightness if you fill your belly with air. Dave Tate has written a lot about this and so has louie simmons.

haha I mean it isn't really worth arguing about but I think you will get a lot more core strength if you suck that air deep, push your abdominal out and hold your breath.

I mean sometimes the scream cannot be avoided, and that can be an awesome feeling haha.

but never ever scream on alternating dumbell curls... in fact why are you even doing alternating dumbell curls... haha

desolation
11-07-09, 8:51 pm
i like to grunt sometimes, especially if im feeling a bit weak/tired before a set of a compound exercise, but not very loud - just quietly to myself, i dnt knw why but it tends to help me concentrate on just moving the weight

Cstlfx
11-07-09, 9:14 pm
While you can stay tight by exhaling, you will get a much better weightlifting tightness if you fill your belly with air. Dave Tate has written a lot about this and so has louie simmons.

haha I mean it isn't really worth arguing about but I think you will get a lot more core strength if you suck that air deep, push your abdominal out and hold your breath.

I mean sometimes the scream cannot be avoided, and that can be an awesome feeling haha.

but never ever scream on alternating dumbell curls... in fact why are you even doing alternating dumbell curls... haha

Oh, I know that. I'm a powerlifter who follows Louie and Tate like gods, haha. My stomach has grown a couple of inches due to extending my stomach for bench and squats. To me, those that scream all the time havent completely learned how to tighten up their midsection, so they're tighter screaming then if they just tried to tighten it up other wise. I have a training partner that screams with every time he goes for a max single on the deads. Many a time he's lost it because he runs out of air at the top.

Haha, I almost added Alt. DB curls to my statement. If you're screaming while doing those, and in front of a mirror looking at yourself, prepared to be laughed at unmercifully. Luckily I havent had this problem since college.

Glory
11-08-09, 5:54 pm
I'm only 16 years old so I'm not putting up extreme weight in the gym but if I'm having difficulty putting up the iron, I'll add in a grunt just to give me that extra aggression.

J Wong
11-08-09, 11:34 pm
Every rep, every set, even if it is just warming up the rotators with DB external rotations, I will yell as loud as I can so everyone knows I am warming up my rotators with 10 pounds.

JasonG
11-09-09, 3:27 am
I think if you aren't grunting during a heavy compound movement you aren't trying hard enough.
BUT the screaming stuff is different and quite hilarious to see if I'm in the mood for it or seriously annoying otherwise. If I'm lifting with a partner and see this we play it up. I'll tell him to roll his sleeves up so we can lift more, since the screamer usually has their sleeves rolled up already. Then we do some serious screaming with some light ass weight. Ok so I'm a clown, but I don't get it.

N.Rees
11-09-09, 6:23 am
I grunt like I am trying to shit out a panzer tank when I am going HEAVY

Quote of the year? ^^

Dr.Platypus
11-09-09, 12:31 pm
Quote of the year? ^^

Every rep, every set, even if it is just warming up the rotators with DB external rotations, I will yell as loud as I can so everyone knows I am warming up my rotators with 10 pounds.

no this is the QotY

Razor
11-09-09, 1:19 pm
I might let out a grunt or two but never on purpose or to draw attention to myself. The other day i was watching a guy scream benching 225 throwing his back all the way in the air and not even bringing it down close to his chest. i just shook my head.

weedlewott
11-09-09, 1:24 pm

word... I usually throw a big manly grunt in there and throw a bench across the gym once I'm finished.

Razor
11-09-09, 1:32 pm

HAHAHAHA

WeeMan
11-19-09, 5:12 pm

exactly! i hear some guys in my gym screaming their heads off but all its doing is letting out badly needed air!

funny story: my training partner was on his last set on chest press grunting all manly like all the way through and on the very last rep which took him about 4 seconds to complete he made the highest pitch squeal iv ever heard from a man, i mean it was like id taken his skipping rope away from him - non of us could stop laughing!

Alk
11-22-09, 1:27 pm
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1767460

"Yeah I grunt when I'm gettin my swell on, cause everyone in the gym should know how jacked and tanned I am"

Cstlfx
11-22-09, 3:32 pm
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1767460

"Yeah I grunt when I'm gettin my swell on, cause everyone in the gym should know how jacked and tanned I am"

By far one of my favorite viral videos. I constantly quote this while in the gym!

Alk
11-22-09, 4:30 pm
By far one of my favorite viral videos. I constantly quote this while in the gym!

Totally lol.

"Sir you have to sign in"

"NOT NOW CHIEF, I'M IN THE FUCKIN ZONE"

Liftbig21
11-23-09, 2:04 pm
Are we really making rules about Grunting? Is this Planet Fitness now?...Idc if your doing rope curls..if it gets tough and a grunt is gonna give you 2-3 more...do it. I dont think about when to grunt, Idc if its my first set..last set..Machines.. or freeweights..It comes naturally and it helps ..Its been proven and it helps me.Granted some people take it overboard but were human ..theres always gonna be ppl that take it overboard..DO YOU in the gym and dont pay attention to others..Dont think about shit, as well as dont judge ..Just do it.

WeeMan
11-23-09, 2:43 pm
Are we really making rules about Grunting? Is this Planet Fitness now?...Idc if your doing rope curls..if it gets tough and a grunt is gonna give you 2-3 more...do it. I dont think about when to grunt, Idc if its my first set..last set..Machines.. or freeweights..It comes naturally and it helps ..Its been proven and it helps me.Granted some people take it overboard but were human ..theres always gonna be ppl that take it overboard..DO YOU in the gym and dont pay attention to others..Dont think about shit, as well as dont judge ..Just do it.

na i think the issue is people who do it to try and show off (thats how i took it)

Cstlfx
11-23-09, 5:50 pm
Totally lol.

"Sir you have to sign in"

"NOT NOW CHIEF, I'M IN THE FUCKIN ZONE"

"MA! Where's my fuckin protein!"

BryanSmash!
11-24-09, 12:32 am
I think that the behavior of the individual lifting needs to be directionaly proportionate to the immediate environment.
If you're lifting at Bally's you probably shouldnt make a peep, but if you're droppin plates at Metroflex, then by all means, scream your fucking ass off.

prowrestler
11-24-09, 2:00 am
if u dont grunt ur not lifting enough weight

sunny_max
11-24-09, 2:05 am

kinda true....cause when you give it all with like the last ounce of strength in your body to finish off a set is usally when i would grunt!!

to most ppl its natural and they dnt even know about it...which is ok..no offence.....the only thing is as wee man said when ppl try to show off....."eh look i am lifting this much weight!!" haha

theharjmann
11-24-09, 2:09 pm
look at every person in the weights/lifting field that is at the top of their game.

none of them scream. they grunt. but they arent so loud that everyone can hear them

ive noticed something in my gym: the guys that scream have probably the worst form, they cant lift as much as others so will loads the bar with weight they cant do, make a racket and scream.

J Wong
11-24-09, 2:12 pm

I rarely lift enough weight then haha