PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Problems & Supplements...

billmd1334
06-04-07, 6:33 am
Hey bros... I've been waking up in the middle of the night every single night for the last month or so.. around 1 or 2 in the morning... like wide awake. I know this can't be good for rest/recovery, are there any supplements out there that you can suggest to me to help me fall into a deeper sleep and stay in it for the night? Thanks.

Nightshift
06-04-07, 7:19 am
Try Meltonin. It works pretty good! It might give you some really messed up dreams though. Read the directions before taking it.

eblnyc
06-04-07, 9:40 am
valerian root works really well also.

Jaymafin
06-04-07, 9:45 am
zma

ncsu06
06-04-07, 9:57 am
ZMA help with sleep and boost testosterone as well..i would try this route first to get both benefits..good luck brother

Jimbo41073
06-04-07, 11:33 am
GABA has worked will for me PLUS helps release GH in us older gents

Everyonedoes
06-04-07, 1:37 pm
Im not sure on any fix but i always wake up at least once to take a leak durring the night because of all the water i drink. I have noticed that once your body gets in a routine its hard to get it out of it.

BigAnt
06-04-07, 5:33 pm
Hey bros... I've been waking up in the middle of the night every single night for the last month or so.. around 1 or 2 in the morning... like wide awake. I know this can't be good for rest/recovery, are there any supplements out there that you can suggest to me to help me fall into a deeper sleep and stay in it for the night? Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had this problem also...bad case of insomnia. Yeah it does tap into revocery of muscles...I use Valerian Root, capsules..works very good for me...Also, no caffeine products after 7:00pm (I usually go to bed at
11-11:30)

I also found out, just "laying" there made it worst. I would get up and read, go online, pay bills, do something utill I felt drowsy again.

It will pass...if not, go to a Dr. They have sleep studeis ( I did this ) came back negative, nothing serious or a cause for it...

Are you under stress, made major changes in your diet, exercise too late?

Keep me posted
Ant.

brandonA
06-04-07, 5:49 pm

I had this problem also...bad case of insomnia. Yeah it does tap into revocery of muscles...I use Valerian Root, capsules..works very good for me...Also, no caffeine products after 7:00pm (I usually go to bed at

I also found out, just "laying" there made it worst. I would get up and read, go online, pay bills, do something utill I felt drowsy again.

It will pass...if not, go to a Dr. They have sleep studeis ( I did this ) came back negative, nothing serious or a cause for it...

Keep me posted
Ant.

I have this problem some nights as well...just can't turn off the brain....just lay there and pray for some one to smack my dome with a bat....I will have to try the root and see how that works...

-B

JUGGERNAUT
06-04-07, 6:00 pm
Yeah, the sups listed are great and effective but like the others say, try to find the root of the problem and try to get back to the long term deep sleep.

k1usa
06-04-07, 6:09 pm
how old are you bro....what kind of routien you have....whats your diet pre zonk out time......I wake up in pain from the previous W/O.....shoulders mostly....I get up...eat...check out the forum...and then tru to pass out ....its all part of the gig my friend......hang in.....

Sir J-Werk
06-04-07, 6:21 pm
Do you have a routine before you go to bed? For some people it's reading, taking a shower, deep breathing, stretching, etc, relaxing things.... Try turning your alarm clock around so you can't see the time.... Strangest thing, but it works! ... When you first lay down, ly in a comfortable position on your back and concentrate breathing in your nose and out your mouth, rest your hands on your chest; breathe deep with your diaphram, not your chest; slow and controlled.

I use to have issues with anxiety and these things helped me tremedously.

If you are waking up because of tight muscles then some stretching would be a good thing to try before you hit the sack.... Then just do what I mentioned above.... I understand that isn't the end all cure all especially if you busted your ass in the gym and are just plain ass sore....

I don't know about any supps.... The stuff I was on was pretty heavy duty and had to have a prescription.... Don't think I need to list those here. ;)

Hope some of this helps.

Stay Strong, stay Focused, stay Animal!
Respect.

Shark
06-04-07, 10:38 pm
ZMA works pretty good for me. Doesn't help me fall asleep but keeps me asleep.

Be careful with melatonin. Some people have bad reactions to it. Like myself. I tried it to days in a row ( Did every single thing right) and was awake for four days straight because of it.

Also another thing is what you eat before you hit the sack.

I was waking up in the middle of the night for a while and never knew why. It was because I was hungry. I now take two tablespoons of peanut butter and two scoops of casien protein to keep me feeling full all night.

ironshaolin
06-04-07, 10:48 pm
I get up alot at night too, mostly because I have to piss so much from all the liquids I take in daily. If you google Doctor Dave's best, this guy doctor dave makes some pretty wicked supplements. His fish oil is his claim to fame, and its probably the best on the market. He makes a product called Dr. Dave's sleep wizard, its an all natural sleep aid that supposedly can turn 4 hrs sleep into the equivilent of 8 hrs. He made it for people who can't get enough sleep at night, but still need to recover from a full nights rest.

billmd1334
06-05-07, 9:37 am

Keep me posted
Ant.

Thanks for the advice bro.. I will try the root... I haven't changed much with my routine... I workout about 4:30pm... and I get to sleep around 10 or so... I do have some stress... but I will have to try the root and see if that works for me... when do you take it? right before bed? thanks a lot bro.

JohnSell
09-23-07, 12:19 am
Everyone knows a big part of building muscle is getting a good ammount of sleep. I've been having trouble with that part lately. Just wanted to know your guys take on sleeping aids such as melatonin, and if it affects muscle growth. Thanks fellas

adidas
09-23-07, 8:08 am
melatonin
gaba
and ZMA all have been shown to help with sleep/rest and GH/test improvements.

i recomend Melatonin 3-5mg before bed 30-45 min out... although i start low and adjust doseage based on how "groggy" you are when you rise...i know 5mg knocks me the f... out, and i have a hard time waking up.

Elite
09-23-07, 8:13 am
Yea, melatonin has been well endorsed as a good and unharmful (to muscle growth) aid for sleep. What is the main problem tho, actually getting to sleep? Waking and broken sleep through the night? Or both?

JohnSell
09-23-07, 1:15 pm
The getting to sleep part is what i have trouble with. I guess alot of pointless things run through my head before i hit the sheets, and i can't shut it off haha.

Northman
09-23-07, 9:45 pm
The getting to sleep part is what i have trouble with. I guess alot of pointless things run through my head before i hit the sheets, and i can't shut it off haha.

I take melatonin sometimes, but often reading a good book helps to clear my mind.

thickasblood
09-23-07, 10:21 pm
it also promotes higher GH levels, protects against free radicals, and increases bodyfat usage while sparing muscle glycogen levels, if taken 30-60 minutes before training.
dosage is 0.5 - 5 miligrams

theres a huge ariticle on it for the may issue of flex

adidas
09-23-07, 10:29 pm
it also promotes higher GH levels, protects against free radicals, and increases bodyfat usage while sparing muscle glycogen levels, if taken 30-60 minutes before training.
dosage is 0.5 - 5 miligrams

theres a huge ariticle on it for the may issue of flex

i almost mentioned this...but refrained as it wasnt what the guy was asking about...but yes melatonin takin in said way is suppose to be very good.

violator
09-24-07, 7:27 am
I take melatonin sometimes, but often reading a good book helps to clear my mind.

me 2 bro.....or just doing a light 5min meditation/ hypnosis induction works wonders....

peace

GatorMP_69
09-24-07, 7:57 am
Is there a pool near your house or gym? A good 30 - 45 minutes in the pool is guaranteed to put you down. Other than that, OTC melatonin is fine. Good luck, BRO

Cstlfx
09-24-07, 8:27 pm
If you can stand the taste, theres this tea out there called Sleepytime tea. It has chamomile and other such stuff. Helps get you nice and relaxed, ready for bed.

NickSP
09-24-07, 8:46 pm
Melatonin's my weapon of choice as well.
However, ZMA=DREAMS

JohnSell
09-24-07, 10:49 pm
However, ZMA=DREAMS

Haha true bro, you get some fucked up dreams from anything that pretty much makes you go to sleep. I recently had surgery on my jaw done and while i was on pain killers, i thought i was going nuts!

Big Rich
09-25-07, 8:01 am
However, ZMA=DREAMS

+1
I tried it because it was mentioned in another thread and Whoa - I have all sorts of action packed dreams.
I used to use Valerian Root (stinks like old socks), but it doesn't come close to results from ZMA.

ghost
09-25-07, 8:41 am
i take zma regularly and get a great night sleep, every night.

COLE
09-25-07, 11:43 am
You could try some of all three. ZMA, Valerian root and Melatonin. Either way I would def. go with ZMA about 1 hr before bedtime. I also use 10g of glutamine in my bedtime shake also. Helps promote higher GH levels, prevent muscle breakdown and aid in recovery.

Also taking Melatonin about 30-60 minutes prior to training could increase GH levels as well. Start with smaller doses as you do not want to take so much you feel sleepy. 1.2-5 grams starting with the lesser and working your way up if you feel you need to.

dominatetheiron
09-25-07, 1:09 pm
venom lean dreams, its a thermogenic diet pill that is also a sleep aid, its part of their tri-lean system just go to like supplementwarehouse.com and search for Venom. it works.

Shogun Assassin
09-25-07, 1:14 pm
However, ZMA=DREAMS

nothing beats ZMA dreams. i suggest this to my friends who arent even trying to get jacked. my dreams in general are alright but forgotten as soon as i wake up... ZMA dreams are on a whole new level.

Northman
09-25-07, 5:46 pm
How much ZMA do you guys take? It never really made much difference for me at the recommended 10.5 mg of B6, 30 mg Zinc, and 450 mg of Magnesium Aspartate.

BeastCook
06-07-09, 3:28 pm
hey for about 2 months now its been hard for me to get some good sleep, ive tried everything, ive heard zma products can make me sleep like a baby and help muscle growth, should i buy one? i mean there under 20 bucks

JasonG
06-07-09, 4:58 pm
that or maybe some melatonin will help too. I have the same issue. If I work out too late in the day it's even worse.

Angst
06-07-09, 6:47 pm
hey for about 2 months now its been hard for me to get some good sleep, ive tried everything, ive heard zma products can make me sleep like a baby and help muscle growth, should i buy one? i mean there under 20 bucks

Do you train at night or take any stimulants? Sometimes even IsoStak keep me up if I take it with the last meal before bed, 'cause all the vitamin Bs.

TheDarkHalf
06-07-09, 10:19 pm
Yo that's pretty bogus that those posts got deleted. I did not violate any rules. Get off your high horse and put them back up. It was an honest reply to an honest question.

Angst
06-07-09, 11:32 pm
Yo that's pretty bogus that those posts got deleted. I did not violate any rules. Get off your high horse and put them back up. It was an honest reply to an honest question.

There's no talk of sex on this board. You honestly don't see any problems with telling someone to play with themselves to help improve their sleep?
And I've seen Rcrott in person, he's a tall dude, so he doesn't need a high horse.

TheDarkHalf
06-07-09, 11:50 pm
There's no talk of sex on this board. You honestly don't see any problems with telling someone to play with themselves to help improve their sleep?
And I've seen Rcrott in person, he's a tall dude, so he doesn't need a high horse.

I would have appreciated an explanation before the deletion. And last I checked, masturbation is not sex. I do not see anything wrong with that.....as it was strictly a suggestion like much of the advise given on this forum, which should all be evaluated subjectively. This person was having trouble sleeping....so I was giving them a natural option (outside of having to go buy ZMA/Melatonin) to help their sleep process. The endorphins your body releases from that act does indeed relax you. But it may or may not help as it will depend on the person and I said previously, all suggestions should be taken with an amount of subjectivity.

My apologies if I violated a forvm role or offended anyone; Just hit me up with a PM next time letting me know where I erred as I've never, EVER had a forvm post deleted and did not appreciate them just being axed like that without an explanation.

Angst
06-08-09, 12:17 am
I would have appreciated an explanation before the deletion. And last I checked, masturbation is not sex. I do not see anything wrong with that.....as it was strictly a suggestion like much of the advise given on this forum, which should all be evaluated subjectively. This person was having trouble sleeping....so I was giving them a natural option (outside of having to go buy ZMA/Melatonin) to help their sleep process. The endorphins your body releases from that act does indeed relax you. But it may or may not help as it will depend on the person and I said previously, all suggestions should be taken with an amount of subjectivity.

My apologies if I violated a forvm role or offended anyone; Just hit me up with a PM next time letting me know where I erred as I've never, EVER had a forvm post deleted and did not appreciate them just being axed like that without an explanation.

Sex and masturbation are different, but both are not allowed. Just like how recreational drugs and AAS are different, but both are not allowed to talk about on this board either.

shizz702
06-08-09, 12:22 am
I take melatonin and tribulus before bed and sleep like a baby. I recommend that for a great sleep stack.

BeastCook
06-08-09, 1:13 am
Do you train at night or take any stimulants? Sometimes even IsoStak keep me up if I take it with the last meal before bed, 'cause all the vitamin Bs.

nope i dont take anything, and i workout in the morning

BeastCook
06-08-09, 1:14 am
so at 17, is zma something alright for me to take?

TigerAce01
06-08-09, 1:22 am

I'd take some ZMA and melatonin at night. I love melatonin. You sleep so deeply throughout your entire sleep cycle that it even gives you crazy dreams you remember.

-Ace

BeastCook
06-08-09, 2:20 am
so i should take both or just 1?

BeastCook
06-08-09, 2:21 am
I'd take some ZMA and melatonin at night. I love melatonin. You sleep so deeply throughout your entire sleep cycle that it even gives you crazy dreams you remember.

-Ace

did you notice anything different when you took those? size gains? strength gains?

TigerAce01
06-08-09, 2:39 am
did you notice anything different when you took those? size gains? strength gains?

I don't really take it for that purpose, and I'm always improving no matter what I'm on.

I've used ZMA (zinc aspartate, magnesium aspartate, and a B-vitamin blend) during times of hard training when my body is depleted heavily of those minerals, as so I do not become deficient in them

I use melatonin to facilitate a constant sleep cycle and deeper sleep. Melatonin has also been said to boost GH levels in the body. I can't say whether this is true or not, but as I said, I don't use it for this purpose.

For sleep purposes, as your opening post was inquiring, a mix of ZMA and melatonin would work very well.

-Ace

BeastCook
06-08-09, 2:55 am
what if i bought just one (just tryin to save money) , what would be better for better sleep?

Aggression
06-08-09, 9:08 am

At 17, we can't really recommend any products to you. Please wait until you are 18. Having said that, in my own personal experience, I've used both. I've used ZMA alone, melatonin alone, and both 'stacked' together. To me, it doesn't help you fall asleep, rather is helps you achieve a deeper sleep once you actually shut the eyes for good. ZMA is good for some solid/deep/vivid dreams. Melatonin makes you feel better rested. Both of them together are pretty sweet, but its definitely not necessary to combine them.

mritter3
06-08-09, 9:10 am
zma and melatonin are both great, but you dont want to become dependent on them, i would get to the root of the problem before id resort to taking something.

ghost
06-08-09, 9:31 am

at 17....... you cant sleep? look at what you are eating and drinking before bed... and if that isnt the problem, go to the doctor. at 17 you shouldn't be taking any supplements. NONE of the Animal or Universal line are recommended for under 18.

TheDarkHalf
06-08-09, 9:40 am
Sex and masturbation are different, but both are not allowed. Just like how recreational drugs and AAS are different, but both are not allowed to talk about on this board either.

Cool. Not a problem.

And to the original poster, if you're having trouble getting to sleep at night......try setting your alarm clock and waking up earlier.

whosnexttt
06-22-09, 3:26 pm
Hey for like the past 2 months now I havent been able to get 6+ hours of sleep...

on average ill get maybe 3 and if im lucky 4 or 5 hours of sleep....

ive tried melatonin, ive tried the 1mg, 3mg, 6mg.....that stuff has no effect on me at all!

ive heard zma is good?

any good sleeping supplements out there? medicine? ANYTHING!!!

thanks.

IRBS
06-22-09, 3:32 pm
Hey for like the past 2 months now I havent been able to get 6+ hours of sleep...

on average ill get maybe 3 and if im lucky 4 or 5 hours of sleep....

ive tried melatonin, ive tried the 1mg, 3mg, 6mg.....that stuff has no effect on me at all!

ive heard zma is good?

any good sleeping supplements out there? medicine? ANYTHING!!!

thanks.

You listed the main supps that I know of, but have never used. As for Medicine, you will need to talk to your doctor.

GJN5002
06-22-09, 3:37 pm
get rid of all stimulants during the day and make sure you are trying to go to bed at the same time every night. dont turn on the tv/computer etc when you ge tin bed.

IronWilson
06-22-09, 4:20 pm
ZMA is a wonder supplement when it comes to sleep. It makes you have the deepest sleep you will ever experience, at least thats how it was for me.

Also, get a facemask for when you go to bed. Unplug all the electronics you can and make sure no light is shining into the room. We are still cavemen who need to sleep in dark caves.

Don't drink too much of any liquid before you get into bed as you don't want to interrupt your sleep to pee. And, as gjn said, limit your stimulant use throughout the day. This includes diet soda that is not caffeine free.

Mr. Dead
06-22-09, 4:22 pm
I generally take some melatonin and valerian... As well as what Iron Wilson said...

whosnexttt
06-22-09, 4:27 pm
get rid of all stimulants during the day and make sure you are trying to go to bed at the same time every night. dont turn on the tv/computer etc when you ge tin bed.

tried that lol dont work for me

whosnexttt
06-22-09, 4:28 pm
ZMA is a wonder supplement when it comes to sleep. It makes you have the deepest sleep you will ever experience, at least thats how it was for me.

Also, get a facemask for when you go to bed. Unplug all the electronics you can and make sure no light is shining into the room. We are still cavemen who need to sleep in dark caves.

Don't drink too much of any liquid before you get into bed as you don't want to interrupt your sleep to pee. And, as gjn said, limit your stimulant use throughout the day. This includes diet soda that is not caffeine free.

does zma really put you to sleep? because i waisted like 10 bucks on melatonin

IronWilson
06-22-09, 5:02 pm

Never tried melatonin. But I can tell you, if you take ZMA 45 before or after your pre-bedtime meal and don't take it with anything containing calcium, It will at least help your testosterone levels. The sleep thing, well, it may vary. But it works wonders for me.

TheDarkHalf
06-22-09, 7:34 pm

I usually use ZMA and Melatonin. Occasionally I throw some GABA into the mix. These all worked fairly well.

Check out this.....

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/slp.htm

hope this helps.

LegendKillerJosh
06-22-09, 11:28 pm
Shit dude usually sleeping problems are a mental thing. I can always sleep good if I don't have to be up early. But when I gotta work early, I wake up every half a fucking hour to look at the clock.

Cstlfx
06-23-09, 12:00 am
Have you tried meditation or yoga? They have relaxation styles of each one that may calm you down enough to get to sleep.

Aggression
12-16-09, 9:13 am

I used to take Melatonin for a while, and I felt it worked. Then I switched over to Universal ZMA and have been using it since. For the first time since I can remember, I rarely wake up in the middle of the night, which is great.

Northman
12-16-09, 10:30 am
I used to take Melatonin for a while, and I felt it worked. Then I switched over to Universal ZMA and have been using it since. For the first time since I can remember, I rarely wake up in the middle of the night, which is great.

Way to bring back a post that is more than 2 years old, lol.

I don't even take melatonin anymore. I have a hard enough time staying awake when I'm supposed to. I don't get a lot of sleep due to my work schedule.

Aggression
12-16-09, 10:37 am
Way to bring back a post that is more than 2 years old, lol.

I don't even take melatonin anymore. I have a hard enough time staying awake when I'm supposed to. I don't get a lot of sleep due to my work schedule.

Take it easy, Stiff, it was only 6 months old, haha

Yeah I started using ZMA while in prep. I was only getting 5hrs max per night, so the ZMA helped a bit.

Northman
12-16-09, 10:57 am
Take it easy, Stiff, it was only 6 months old, haha

Yeah I started using ZMA while in prep. I was only getting 5hrs max per night, so the ZMA helped a bit.

I was thinking about getting some ZMA for this coming month anyways. I am going to double the dose to see if it makes any difference in recovery.

C.Coronato
12-16-09, 11:00 am
ZMA, Omega, and Joint V before bed for this guy right here while dieting. Changing it up as of lately tho, never tried Melatonin.

Universal Rep
12-16-09, 11:23 am
I was thinking about getting some ZMA for this coming month anyways. I am going to double the dose to see if it makes any difference in recovery.

Never been a fan of ZMA myself, but some fellas swear by it...

Northman
12-16-09, 12:29 pm
Never been a fan of ZMA myself, but some fellas swear by it...

I've tried it a couple of times and didn't see any effects for better or worse. Like I said, I'm going to give it one last go.

Angst
12-16-09, 12:53 pm
I've been drinking tea for sleep aid. It's called Sleepytime Extra by Celestial Seasonings and it's caffeine free.

Beowulf
12-16-09, 1:00 pm
I've been drinking tea for sleep aid. It's called Sleepytime Extra by Celestial Seasonings and it's caffeine free.

Crazy as it sounds, I use this too when I need it and it always seems to do the trick.

LVs
12-17-09, 6:21 am
ZMA has worked for my sleeping great - helped to fall asleep quickly, but just when it was taken on an empty stomach, which I don't like: prefere to drink a shake before bed.
When I have taken it on a permanent basis, the resul was decreasing even at a second week.
Test boosting effect was great in the beginning only as well.
The other thing about ZMA which I don't like is that it also relaxes me too much so it becomes not easy to get jacked mentally before workouts or for any other activity like work. And in the morning it's hard to concentrate cause the brain is also relaxed.

Based on my observations, there are some things that help in sleeping and recovery:

1. To turn off all the electrical devices. The easiest way is just to shut down the central junction of all the electricity in da house. Even your cell phone. Works just fine.
2. To drink some semi-warm non-fat milk before bed. Just a little warmer than the degree in room. I prefere 1 litre (28 g of protein which is mostly caseine) cause it also helps to build muscles.
3. Just try to avoid any stress, noice, TV, music, phone calls etc 1 hour before bedtime. It helps to relax.
4. Universal GH MAX. All 6 tabs before bed on an empty stomach.