PDA

View Full Version : Arm Wrestling... Lifting for victory.

Duke
01-18-07, 3:54 pm
Hello all,

I have a friendly Army Wrestling contest in May with a dude who looks to be strong.

I want to know if you guys have any specific weight lifting exercises that will strengthen the complex amount of muscles required for this activity. I have had some experience with AW in the past but not a competitive level. All I know is, I don’t want to damage my shoulder.

TIA,

EastonH
01-18-07, 4:15 pm
I dont know any exercises, except that you should armwrestle a lot everytime you have a chance you should be twistin some ones hand. Not every big guy is good at Armwrestling, its all about technique baby!

Barron
01-18-07, 4:28 pm
all my friends seem to think armwrestling is the best way to decide who's the strongest. HAHA... when it comes to lifting, im stronger than almost all of my friends, but i cant beat 1/2 of them at armwrestling because i have pretty short arms. Obviously strength is necessary, but in arm wrestling leverage is key. when someone else begins with an advantage like that, its tough to overcome and youll just have to dig down deep. when evenly matched, you gotta jump on top quick.

If you've ever seen the movie "Over the Top" with sylvester stalone, (i know its only a movie) but you can give his training method a shot, im not saying it works and ive never tried it. im not so sure that there is any exercises that are really AW specific... basically, stand w/ your back to a cable machine and pull the cable down as though you were actually arm wrestling. (kinda like you're throwing a baseball, pitchers at my school do this and they've won a couple championships so it must help them)

Not sure if that is much help, but its the first thing i thought of.

-Veritas-

RowdyRobby
01-18-07, 4:34 pm
I used to work out with a guy who who is a comp. Armwrestler. I asked him the same question, He said Deadlifts,cause you should be standing when you AW and you pull the same way, close grip chins, close grip rows, lots of curls and formarm curls. Hope it helps

serban
01-18-07, 4:34 pm
Rope climbing ... without wrapping your legs around the rope.

benmatthews90
01-18-07, 4:55 pm
Rope climbing ... without wrapping your legs around the rope.

how do they help?

Kathy Fields
01-18-07, 6:00 pm
I used to armwrestle competitively and found that grip, triceps strength and lats help the most.

Grip exercises from deadlifting, COC grippers, and pinching plates help. Triceps strength from benching, skullcrushes, pressdowns, and rolling dumbbell presses are good. Lats are obvious, you need explosive power for when you "press" your opponents hand down to the pad.

When you set up to armwrestle, you want your index finger and if you can your middle finger wrapped around and over your thumb while still showing some thumbnail. Keep your arm and body tight. Try to keep the hand as close to your body as possible (as long as the referee's fist can make it through) so that your opponent loses leverage. The greater the distance your hand is from your body, the less leverage you have at the break and you wind up being in a pull position. Keep your shoulder behind the hand at all times possible, not forward toward the direction you have to pin the opponent. This keeps you in a pushing position which is where you will be strongest and have the best advantage. Do not relax or get laxed before the start, you need to stay tensed and braced for the "go". Speed at the break will also give you the advantage.

Hope this helps.

powerhouse
07-01-08, 4:16 pm
does anyone know a good arm wrestling routine because having a comp at school and im ranked high need to beat this lewis kid badly he showing off my forearms are very strong
and are close to 12inch

mcbeast
07-02-08, 9:01 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F4m1gnh7AM&NR=1

To hell with arm wrestling.My wrists are bad enough,but if you wish to continue,then grippers,rope climbing,and practice.

crazy_rahul
07-03-08, 1:41 am
internal rotations

RipTheMonster
07-03-08, 3:11 am
Think it has alot to do with shoulder strength - rotator cuff strength

WeeMan
07-03-08, 4:15 pm
I used to armwrestle competitively and found that grip, triceps strength and lats help the most.

Grip exercises from deadlifting, COC grippers, and pinching plates help. Triceps strength from benching, skullcrushes, pressdowns, and rolling dumbbell presses are good. Lats are obvious, you need explosive power for when you "press" your opponents hand down to the pad.

When you set up to armwrestle, you want your index finger and if you can your middle finger wrapped around and over your thumb while still showing some thumbnail. Keep your arm and body tight. Try to keep the hand as close to your body as possible (as long as the referee's fist can make it through) so that your opponent loses leverage. The greater the distance your hand is from your body, the less leverage you have at the break and you wind up being in a pull position. Keep your shoulder behind the hand at all times possible, not forward toward the direction you have to pin the opponent. This keeps you in a pushing position which is where you will be strongest and have the best advantage. Do not relax or get laxed before the start, you need to stay tensed and braced for the "go". Speed at the break will also give you the advantage.

Hope this helps.

pretty sure that answers everything.

Carpe Diem P.T
07-03-08, 6:50 pm
if you set a cable machine up about 5 holes from the bottom, lay on your stomach and get in aw position, you can arm wrestle it with resistance.

msktyshha
10-14-09, 9:34 pm
I always used to arm wrestle back in high school and was pretty good at it. Also had a arm wrestling club dere dat i joined. Now i wanna get ready for some serious arm wrestling competition. what muscles should I focus on the most???? I know armssss but what parts specifically.

prowrestler
10-14-09, 9:55 pm
grip/forearms

bicep/brachilis

rotator cuffs

GJN5002
10-21-09, 1:15 pm
just watch over the top a few times

IRBS
10-21-09, 1:16 pm
just watch over the top a few times

Dont forget to turn your hat around backwards too...

GJN5002
10-21-09, 1:17 pm

being oiled at all times and wearing an aerobic sock on your arm helps too.

Little Z
10-21-09, 1:46 pm

being oiled at all times and wearing an aerobic sock on your arm helps too.

and.. move your fingers up and over their thumb.. game over..

loligagger
10-21-09, 4:13 pm

the COC grippers are great, im able to close the 2 now and trying to work up to 3. after doings these things for a couple months, youll get a great grip. for me, they werent great for mass, but great for strenght. Tendon strength is key for arm wrestling