PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my paper/classes/projects

Christian
06-08-07, 12:20 am
My working Hypothisys: Strength training is superior to cardio exercises such as running for its benefits on mental health.

If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

Thanks Guys,

Christian G.

Preston
06-08-07, 1:10 am
My working Hypothisys: Strength training is superior to cardio exercises such as running for its benefits on mental health.

If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

Thanks Guys,

Christian G.

Mehhhhh, good luck backing that up.

Asides from the fact that your metabolism is peaked for hours after doing deads...I'm not seeing your heart being elevated to a cardiovascular level much after. The whole point of cardio is to keep your heart rate elevated at a certain level to burn....when you lift, your heart rate is at its peak while lifting...then it slowly slows down.

I wouldn't try to push the idea that shoving weight will burn more calories than getting on an elliptical machine for an hour, keeping your heart rate around 165-170.

Either way, this ought to be an interesting paper, PM me the whole thing or an outline, I'm interested.

-Preston[ANIMAL]

Preston
06-08-07, 1:13 am
Mehhhhh, good luck backing that up.

Asides from the fact that your metabolism is peaked for hours after doing deads...I'm not seeing your heart being elevated to a cardiovascular level much after. The whole point of cardio is to keep your heart rate elevated at a certain level to burn....when you lift, your heart rate is at its peak while lifting...then it slowly slows down.

I wouldn't try to push the idea that shoving weight will burn more calories than getting on an elliptical machine for an hour, keeping your heart rate around 165-170.

Either way, this ought to be an interesting paper, PM me the whole thing or an outline, I'm interested.

-Preston[ANIMAL]

Ahhhh hahahahaha I'm a dumbass. Totally read past the mental health part.....yeah....uhhh forget what I just posted :D

lol I feel like an idiot.

-Preston[ANIMAL]

Big Wides
06-08-07, 8:16 am
Ahhhh hahahahaha I'm a dumbass. Totally read past the mental health part.....yeah....uhhh forget what I just posted :D

lol I feel like an idiot.

-Preston[ANIMAL]

^^ think you have your answer on mental health right there, good luck with the paper

ghost
06-08-07, 8:30 am
mentally, you feel a crap ton better...and yes, i want to see that line in the paper!!! lol.ill have to get some of my old papers up/......there are better references in the modern encyclopedia of bodybuilding

Dingo
06-08-07, 12:22 pm
"The Journal of Gerontology: Medical Sciences.
working out for as little as 3 hours a week can increase the size of gray matter in your head.
this effect is especially acute for those in middle age who begin suffering from shrinking brain tissue. researchers credit exercises appeal to trigger biochemical changes that can produce an increase in new brain neurons. The scientists further postulate that exercise increases insulin like growth factor 1 (IGF1) a hormone that bathes the brain, particularly the hippocampus, and helps induce neural stem cells that then can become neurons and brain cells."

*and im sure google should help point you in the right way.

Arbalest
06-09-07, 4:49 am
...I wouldn't try to push the idea that shoving weight will burn more calories than getting on an elliptical machine for an hour, keeping your heart rate around 165-170...

-Preston[ANIMAL]

Actually they've done some very intense research into that.. turns out you burn a hell of lot more calories than once believed..

When I find the studies, I'll post them

Tron
06-10-07, 11:49 pm
^^ think you have your answer on mental health right there, good luck with the paper

Hahah, ouch. That was kind of harsh.

Christian
06-11-07, 4:39 pm

The scientists further postulate that exercise increases insulin like growth factor 1 (IGF1) a hormone that bathes the brain, particularly the hippocampus, and helps induce neural stem cells that then can become neurons and brain cells."

This is exactly what i was looking for. I told my wife that we're not all bone heads. thx for the help i will look up this IGF1

Dingo
06-11-07, 4:43 pm
no problem, it was a small article in a mag that cited that reference. i just read it a couple days before. not anything as far as real info in the article but thought it may help lead you in the right direction

k1usa
06-11-07, 4:44 pm
I find weight training to be more like a "kata" in the martial arts...its something I think about...and act on...and do the best I can to improve on...its almost a zen like action for me....with the breathing and concentration....while doing cardio....no such feeling...just agony and boring as shit.......pushing iron is my thing.....brings me to a different level......some like golf...bowling.....finger painting...me...Ill push iron...

Christian
06-11-07, 4:47 pm
mentally, you feel a crap ton better...and yes, i want to see that line in the paper!!!

Thanks rcrott1 very eloquent, I will use your statement but we will see if it makes the final draft.

Does anyone else have an assesment they would like to lend? I need 10-20 for a popular view to use as yet another source in my paper.

Thanks again for all the input

KSpartan22
10-22-07, 1:41 pm
Alright guys I need some help here. I gotta write a paper. I chose to write bout the definiton of bodybuliding. Now i dont think i can stretch it out over 5 pages. So I wanna know what it means to you to be a bodybuilder and your definiton of it. Id appreciate any ideas and help! Its due this week so hit me up!!! Thanks alot!

NickSP
10-22-07, 2:15 pm
The chasing of one's image of physical aesthetic perfection. Then you can talk about how to some people it means more than just aesthetics like I stated, it also means health, overall physical perfection (strength, cardio fitness, etc.) properly displaying one's muscularity and definition (posing is a very lost art form, many these days don't take it seriously)

That's only what people's literal definition might be...then of course there's the whole personal aspects of it. Some see it as simply the challenge against self, fighting your own urges, discipline, pain etc. to make yourself bigger and stronger every day. Some see it as a never-ending pursuit to conquer and surpass what nature "intended our bodies to be"...to overcome the so-called limits that we've come in contact with. Yet others just seem to love it, they just have some obsession with it so they do it.

Liftbig21
10-22-07, 2:17 pm
The chasing of one's image of physical aesthetic perfection. Then you can talk about how to some people it means more than just aesthetics like I stated, it also means health, overall physical perfection (strength, cardio fitness, etc.) properly displaying one's muscularity and definition (posing is a very lost art form, many these days don't take it seriously)

That's only what people's literal definition might be...then of course there's the whole personal aspects of it. Some see it as simply the challenge against self, fighting your own urges, discipline, pain etc. to make yourself bigger and stronger every day. Some see it as a never-ending pursuit to conquer and surpass what nature "intended our bodies to be"...to overcome the so-called limits that we've come in contact with. Yet others just seem to love it, they just have some obsession with it so they do it.

Well said.

Cstlfx
10-22-07, 2:20 pm
You can totally make 5 pages with the definition of bodybuilding. As Nick said, compare and contrast the differences between everyone's definition. There's all kinds; some of us here are powerlifters, others are into competition, while others are doing it for a hobby. The list goes on and on. Just start digging through the threads reading info.

Plus, this place is a great source, the words here are directly from the person who said it. Not quoted or changed in anyway.

stumblin54
10-22-07, 3:59 pm
Think of all that goes into bodybuildilng, all that you personally do for it, and all that it takes to get to the top. I could readily spit out a 10 page paper on this without thinking too hard...

Stumblin

Giant Killer
10-22-07, 4:23 pm
This isn't one of those typical Watchman "Use the Search function" statements, but, use the search function. That will instantly give you thousands of topics on which you could base each different paragraph. Start with a general skeleton:

"What is bodybuilding"
Intro
Training
Diet
Livin'
Conclusion

Bada bing bada boom.

Maccabee
10-22-07, 4:31 pm
Everything that Nick said is good. Just take that and stretch it out into 5 pages.

BigAnt
10-22-07, 8:08 pm
Go into detail about setting goals, being dedicated and having drive....a passion!

bobbymart
10-22-07, 8:21 pm
I wonder what it would look like if machine wrote this paper lol!

NickSP
10-22-07, 8:24 pm
The man writes it everyday bro, just as we all do.

And he continues to every time he posts.

bobbymart
10-22-07, 8:45 pm

ha! point taken

Tron
10-22-07, 10:04 pm
It's more than words, but Nick made a good start, haha.

The struggle for perfection, yet never quite attaining it. That's what it is to me. Not just body, but mind and soul are included.

violator
10-23-07, 6:33 am
This isn't one of those typical Watchman "Use the Search function" statements, but, use the search function. That will instantly give you thousands of topics on which you could base each different paragraph. Start with a general skeleton:

"What is bodybuilding"
Intro
Training
Diet
Livin'
Conclusion

Bada bing bada boom.

Sounds to me like u got everything u need above and lying around in the forvm bro, remember ur own personal thoughts if ur writing from a subjective view, or if its objective, then include testimonials from pros etc.....shit, im sure u could write 50 pages if u really wanted too, use ur imagination brother...........

peace

Preston
10-23-07, 7:32 am
Your teacher isn't going to like the fact that you're having only one source for your paper. BAD IDEA!!!

APOLOGIES!

A "forum," isn't a respected source among the eyes of a teacher/professor.

Best find some other sources bro, and I would only sneak this in when need be, and you better be damn good at it also.

Sensei
03-14-08, 11:04 pm
My professor wanted a poem that I could express multiple feelings and imagery in. Just thought I'd share with all of you. Any critiques or comments are welcome. Thanks, Sensei.
Iron Warfare

Early morning dimness and bitter cold stiffness

Encompass my every pursuit of a dream,

Beckoning me to turn back toward bed

This trial is all laid out, for its part of my scheme.

Steamed glass doors of my gym remind me of my sweat,

Iron torn hands, and callused battle wounds remind me of who I am,

I wipe the sleep from my eye and begin

To pump the blood so I no longer run on fumes.

The iron is a true comrade, one that cannot lie,

Last week it weighed the same, as the week before that

And so once more this early morning I begin

My tests of stamina, fatigue, and exertion.

The unforgiving steel piles upon one another

Each set I increase the load as the plates line up like soldiers,

A deep breath I take, as I know the weight is at it's heaviest

And following the previous eight sets before I continuously grow weaker.

It is my escape from the world as I sink into perpetual bliss

Nothing comes between the steel and oneself as I battle an old friend,

The aches of tomorrow is a small price to pay for my love of strength

I pursue this calling of metal in hopes of a dream that few ever win.

This competition lies within my heart and blood pumped arms

Few understand the torture and journey that one must progress in,

I pray that this passion will not be taken away the same as those before

For an injury would be detrimental to this sport that I so love.

The final goal is that ever-changing dream one cannot shake

To be bigger, faster, stronger is my only acceptable conclusion.

And so once more, tomorrow begins another day closer to the end effect

For long ago passion turned to obsession, and Perfection is bliss.

LHS Monster
03-14-08, 11:39 pm
good shit bro im liking it

ShaqFu
03-15-08, 12:32 am
Gotta love the truth of poetry, what it reveals, what it brings forth, its unlike anything else, if ure an english major, you ever heard of Martin Heidegger? He was a German philosopher in the 20th century, gave mad props to poetry. I'm a philosophy major at school, I dig this kinda shit.
I like it brotha, it tells the tale of the iron and its value to you, but not in the manner of every day language, i like how you can use poetry to manipulate language to display the iron in a completely different way, well done man. Peace
ShaqFu

BrotherInArms
03-20-08, 1:18 pm
From one English major to another; really nice. Really nice.

callme47
03-20-08, 1:34 pm
My professor wanted a poem that I could express multiple feelings and imagery in. Just thought I'd share with all of you. Any critiques or comments are welcome. Thanks, Sensei.
Iron Warfare

Early morning dimness and bitter cold stiffness

Encompass my every pursuit of a dream,

Beckoning me to turn back toward bed

This trial is all laid out, for its part of my scheme.

Steamed glass doors of my gym remind me of my sweat,

Iron torn hands, and callused battle wounds remind me of who I am,

I wipe the sleep from my eye and begin

To pump the blood so I no longer run on fumes.

The iron is a true comrade, one that cannot lie,

Last week it weighed the same, as the week before that

And so once more this early morning I begin

My tests of stamina, fatigue, and exertion.

The unforgiving steel piles upon one another

Each set I increase the load as the plates line up like soldiers,

A deep breath I take, as I know the weight is at it's heaviest

And following the previous eight sets before I continuously grow weaker.

It is my escape from the world as I sink into perpetual bliss

Nothing comes between the steel and oneself as I battle an old friend,

The aches of tomorrow is a small price to pay for my love of strength

I pursue this calling of metal in hopes of a dream that few ever win.

This competition lies within my heart and blood pumped arms

Few understand the torture and journey that one must progress in,

I pray that this passion will not be taken away the same as those before

For an injury would be detrimental to this sport that I so love.

The final goal is that ever-changing dream one cannot shake

To be bigger, faster, stronger is my only acceptable conclusion.

And so once more, tomorrow begins another day closer to the end effect

For long ago passion turned to obsession, and Perfection is bliss.

Nice shit man.

MetalAsh12
03-20-08, 1:38 pm
Nice, injecting a little Henry Rollins I see :)

Jp2007
03-23-08, 2:26 pm
In my english class i was assigned a Compare/Contrast paper.. I decided to write about Bodybuilding vs Powerlifting, my three points are Purpose, Competition, and Lifestyle..

What do ya'll think about that?

Like for purpose i can say how in bodybuilding you want to appear to be able to life 1000 pounds whereas powerlifting you want to be able to lift 1000 pounds

Competition obviously thats self explanitory, bodybuilding is posing more than actual lifting

Lifestyle in this i was going to talk about the dieting, sleep, training, and just the overall way of life..

Any ideas ya'll have would be fantastic, thanks!!

Happy Easter

Renji007
03-23-08, 3:49 pm
In my english class i was assigned a Compare/Contrast paper.. I decided to write about Bodybuilding vs Powerlifting, my three points are Purpose, Competition, and Lifestyle..

What do ya'll think about that?

Like for purpose i can say how in bodybuilding you want to appear to be able to life 1000 pounds whereas powerlifting you want to be able to lift 1000 pounds

Competition obviously thats self explanitory, bodybuilding is posing more than actual lifting

Lifestyle in this i was going to talk about the dieting, sleep, training, and just the overall way of life..

Any ideas ya'll have would be fantastic, thanks!!

Happy Easter

Not to mention that More dieting and illusion goes into Bodybuilding, (where everything has to be proportioned and defined) than power lifting, Where you don't have to diet as much and have no need to create the "I can lift a mountain" illusion.

bigrhino
03-23-08, 4:28 pm
Check out this article Lad wrote.
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=134&section=

Dave5000
03-23-08, 4:47 pm
As a writer and a bodybuilder, I'd love to take a glimpse at that paper when you're finished.

PhilV
04-01-08, 9:43 pm
i was instructedf to write about a highly emotional/sensational moment in my life, so i chose the squat.

ive already got something down but would apreciate it if you posted what this brutal lift is like for you.

its free verse so no ryming or style is neaded.

lets see it boys

JMC
04-01-08, 9:47 pm
That's plagiarism brotha!

MassMan
04-01-08, 9:48 pm
i was instructedf to write about a highly emotional/sensational moment in my life, so i chose the squat.

ive already got something down but would apreciate it if you posted what this brutal lift is like for you.

its free verse so no ryming or style is neaded.

lets see it boys

The squat....
Every man's best friend, every man's worst nightmare.
The name says it all.
However, in it's most simple form, can it never be understood...
The one and only that can make a man feel like a newborn calf...
just learning how to walk..
Like a man who had just experienced the feeling of getting hit by a train...
over, and over, and over...
Yet, in it's most simple form, can it not be explained....
Why we crave the feel of pure agony...
Why, do you ask?
Because squats are a calling to transform mere men into immortals....
That's why.
Shut up and squat.

Not that bad, I think. Pretty decent.... What do you think?

musclealchemist
04-01-08, 9:50 pm
What you should do is write it like you are about to have sex with a girl, but really you are about to squat. Put like you talk dirty to her and stuff like that. See if you can rhyme it a litlte bit too, it will make for a better poem.

MetalAsh12
04-01-08, 10:34 pm
What you should do is write it like you are about to have sex with a girl, but really you are about to squat. Put like you talk dirty to her and stuff like that. See if you can rhyme it a litlte bit too, it will make for a better poem.

haha what

rhane
04-01-08, 11:24 pm
working out for as little as 3 hours a week can increase the size of gray matter in your head.
this effect is especially acute for those in middle age who begin suffering from shrinking brain tissue. researchers credit exercises appeal to trigger biochemical changes that can produce an increase in new brain neurons. The scientists further postulate that exercise increases insulin like growth factor 1 (IGF1) a hormone that bathes the brain, particularly the hippocampus, and helps induce neural stem cells that then can become neurons and brain cells."

Gerontology is the study of aging...and that gray matter suggestion is really in reference to the elderly, not people under 60.

As far as the original post goes, mental health is difficult to survey in this case because the type of exercise is irrelevant in regards to mental wellbeing. What is more suggesting is that different types of people will respond differently to both weight training and cardiovascular type training - so even if you were to do this study in reality, it wouldn't have any real substance (i.e. it wouldn't hold up in any real medical journal). My advice, make your argument however you want to make it because as someone with a significant bio research background, I would have a very hard time making a convincing argument of your thesis.

PhilV
04-02-08, 6:55 pm
The squat....
Every man's best friend, every man's worst nightmare.
The name says it all.
However, in it's most simple form, can it never be understood...
The one and only that can make a man feel like a newborn calf...
just learning how to walk..
Like a man who had just experienced the feeling of getting hit by a train...
over, and over, and over...
Yet, in it's most simple form, can it not be explained....
Why we crave the feel of pure agony...
Why, do you ask?
Because squats are a calling to transform mere men into immortals....
That's why.
Shut up and squat.

Not that bad, I think. Pretty decent.... What do you think?
pretty sick, i ended mine with the same line.

That's plagiarism brotha!

nah man, i already handed mine in i just wanted to see what you guys could come up with.

Mass_Monster
04-07-08, 11:46 am
Hey everybody, I'm in school and got this idea from Sgt. Rock's diary to write a paper on blue collar workers who have physical jobs, don't work out, but I'm going to ask them to come to the gym and test there strength on the deadlift, standing press, and curl. So far I got one roofer, one mover, a brick mason, and a concrete cutter. I'd like to get at least 2 more people for the testing. Can you guys think of any other jobs that are VERY physically demanding and would require a good amount of strength day in and day out? Thanks to everyone!

Enforcer
04-07-08, 11:50 am
Hey everybody, I'm in school and got this idea from Sgt. Rock's diary to write a paper on blue collar workers who have physical jobs, don't work out, but I'm going to ask them to come to the gym and test there strength on the deadlift, standing press, and curl. So far I got one roofer, one mover, a brick mason, and a concrete cutter. I'd like to get at least 2 more people for the testing. Can you guys think of any other jobs that are VERY physically demanding and would require a good amount of strength day in and day out? Thanks to everyone!

A coal miner and a lumber yard laborer

ghost
04-07-08, 11:54 am
A coal miner and a lumber yard laborer

Construction as well..
and what about a Parent?

ghost
04-07-08, 11:54 am
Construction as well..
and what about a Parent?

or even Soldier. cant get more blue-collar than that.

firsthorseman97
04-07-08, 11:55 am
Get an old school farmer. Those guys can toss around bags of feed and seed like its nothing!

firsthorseman97
04-07-08, 11:56 am
How about a firefighter.

Mass_Monster
04-07-08, 7:52 pm
I was a soldier and was pretty damn strong but only b/c I lifted quite often. Firefighters are pretty hardcore, I think I may add one of them. I tried to find an old school farmer in Lancaster but none of the 3 would do it. Lumber yard laborer would be pretty bad ass! I'd like to talk to an oil rigger too but not everyone is possible. Thanks fellas, I'll let everyone know how it comes out.

Matt Dickerson
04-07-08, 8:08 pm

When I was young, my grandfather owned a logging company. During my teenage years I would work with him everyday during the summer and each day was grueling. I would always be hauling a big chainsaw with a gallon of oil and 5 gallons of gas up steep mountain sides. My day would consist of cutting down trees and limbing them, hauling 200 pounds of chains and cable up hills to attach to the logs so the bulldozer could pull them down the hill. I would then cut the logs into segments that weighed about 400- 500 pounds to load onto a truck. My grandfather didn't buy a forklift and decided that I was a much cheaper investment. Myself and another guy would load them up onto the trucks and then off. Often times I would have to put them on myself. The first time I ever dead lifted was when I was 18. I weighed 210 pounds and pulled 465 pounds at 5'11". I credit that to being a logger.

Go find youself a huge, grizzly old logger and he'll probably deadlift well over 500 pounds without ever doing it before.

Joseb
04-07-08, 8:17 pm
well in cardio.. its like mindless action. you just plod away and away doing the same thing over and over. if we have learned anything from weightlifting.. we know that stagnation doesnt promote growth. its the same for mental health. if you just keep doing the same problem for hours on end.. you wont go anywhere.
lets take a look at weight training. Its an activity where you must concentrate the whole time you're doing it. any slip up in focus could result in injury or even death. Every single rep is a mental challenge to fight through the pain and finish the set. you're lifting weights that are possibly heavier than most human beings.. all the while focusing on keeping flawless form and the contraction of the muscle.. you must adapt to the challenges that the weights throw at you to survive. weight training builds the body and the mind. cardio burns fat.
they both have purposes.

Joseb
04-07-08, 8:19 pm
cant really think of anything more strenous than a logger..

MassMan
04-07-08, 8:28 pm
Um.... How about a landscaper?? or a sheet metal worker?

Joseb
04-07-08, 8:31 pm
sheet metal workers have a pretty hardcore job.. but they arent lifting huge logs unto trucks. ive moved logs when i volunteered at new orleans and its wicked hard. wasnt even whole logs.. sliced up ones!
how about a miner?

Mass_Monster
04-09-08, 10:20 am
Sheet metal worker, What exactly do they do? I spoke with a friend of mine whose cousin is a underground coal miner and he may be able to participate. Once I get everyone I will take them individually into the gym and test there lifts. I will let everyone know the results. I may post it under a topic "Blue Collar Strength Put to The Test".

dominate77
02-01-10, 11:30 pm
I chose to write a paper on low carb diets. I need credible sources, and i always see many people citing medical journals. Can someone give me a site where i can get some good information? i need about 20 good sources.....i tried to use the journal of the american medical association but don't want to pay...

Ardent
02-01-10, 11:34 pm
http://www.jissn.com/content/1/2/7

dominate77
02-01-10, 11:52 pm
that one is great, thanks for the fast reply