PDA

View Full Version : The Lifter's Constant

Freak
06-15-07, 3:10 pm
"Yo Freak, I wanna get hyooge. I'm training my ass off, but I can't pack on the mass..."

Every man has a limit. Each man can tolerate so much. I have been guilty of indulging in questionable transgressions from time to time. I am not blameless. But shit, come on. The same fucking questions over and over again?!?

Think about it this way. The iron is the fucking constant. No matter what you're in for--cutting or bulking or maintaining, for me, for us, the iron will never change. It will always be a part of the equation. The thing we take for granted and the thing we can never take for granted. It is the gift and the curse.

So what does that leave? That's right, food. Food, food and more fucking food. Want to know the secret to getting huge? Come a little closer... To getting ripped? Listen up... Food. That's right, it's the same answer to both questions. Shit, did I really say that? You want to get freakishly big, then you have to eat big. Often and a lot. You want to see thick pipelines running down your guns? Then you have to cut back.

If iron is the constant, then food is the changing variable. The iron is the simple part, the addiction. The part that's always there. But the food is what makes the difference between massive and shredded. You can change up your training routine, but unless you change up your diet, you're wasting your fucking time... And I know I don't got time to waste.

Giant Killer
06-15-07, 3:13 pm
The iron is the simple part, the addiction. The part that's always there. But the food is what makes the difference between massive and shredded. You can change up your training routine, but unless you change up your diet, you're wasting your fucking time... And I know I don't got time to waste.

I agree Freak. It's very easy to motivate yourself to hammer out the reps night after night, because we're masochists like that. But force-feeding your 10th meal of boiled chicken and brown rice seperates the men from the boys.

Freak
06-15-07, 4:05 pm
I agree Freak. It's very easy to motivate yourself to hammer out the reps night after night, because we're masochists like that. But force-feeding your 10th meal of boiled chicken and brown rice seperates the men from the boys.

Damn straight. Not only that, it's mental. You feel like you're accomplishing something when you're smashing the fuck out of the iron. Doesn't feel nearly the same when you're swallowing another bite of chicken.

Kiwi129
06-15-07, 6:10 pm
This is an awesome post. Everyone thinks you just lift weights and get huge, or do cardio and get ripped... doesn't work like that. Again, awesome post.

musclealchemist
06-15-07, 6:19 pm
you see i think this has been said on here before, but its true. There is no secert to getting big or getting ripped, its all in the food. I think people over think stuff sometimes. I mean hard work still has to be in there, but yea food can carry you a long way.

dominatetheiron
06-17-07, 12:35 am
"Yo Freak, I wanna get hyooge. I'm training my ass off, but I can't pack on the mass..."

Every man has a limit. Each man can tolerate so much. I have been guilty of indulging in questionable transgressions from time to time. I am not blameless. But shit, come on. The same fucking questions over and over again?!?

Think about it this way. The iron is the fucking constant. No matter what you're in for--cutting or bulking or maintaining, for me, for us, the iron will never change. It will always be a part of the equation. The thing we take for granted and the thing we can never take for granted. It is the gift and the curse.

So what does that leave? That's right, food. Food, food and more fucking food. Want to know the secret to getting huge? Come a little closer... To getting ripped? Listen up... Food. That's right, it's the same answer to both questions. Shit, did I really say that? You want to get freakishly big, then you have to eat big. Often and a lot. You want to see thick pipelines running down your guns? Then you have to cut back.

If iron is the constant, then food is the changing variable. The iron is the simple part, the addiction. The part that's always there. But the food is what makes the difference between massive and shredded. You can change up your training routine, but unless you change up your diet, you're wasting your fucking time... And I know I don't got time to waste.

i couldnt agree with you more on this issue bro. i used to lift my ass off and didnt eat right didnt grow an ounce found the all you can eat buffets and shit and now im huge.

so now every time laughs that i am eating again or scoffs at my meal i look at em and say "you have to eat big to get big." now let me eat.

there are people starving in Africa and skinny guys at your gym so pretty please with sugar on top clean your fucking plate.

pdiesel
07-11-07, 10:36 am
good post..i especially agree with the part when you say that food is the changing variable..at first i never took into account how important the nutritional aspect of bb actually was, but now i definitely see its importance especially with increased energy and strength levels..

07-11-07, 10:39 am
Why is there a perception that it's all about training? Sure, training is critical. No one here will dispute that. But when it comes to altering your physique, whether adding size or leaning out, the diet is that final piece of the puzzle. Maybe it has something to do with all the magazines out there? Page after page of muscular physiques and bodybuilders in the act of lifting? Maybe we read enough and the message that seeps into the unconscious is that lifting is the key. Who knows?

HARDWORK1
07-11-07, 10:44 am
Wats Up All,
New here, but long time reader, I couldn't agree more. Eating right combined with hardwork in the weight room, for me, are the keys to success. I starting reading the posts on diets here, and used them in my life, and muscle gains have been great.

Wasteland
07-11-07, 3:20 pm
Why is there a perception that it's all about training? Sure, training is critical. No one here will dispute that. But when it comes to altering your physique, whether adding size or leaning out, the diet is that final piece of the puzzle. Maybe it has something to do with all the magazines out there? Page after page of muscular physiques and bodybuilders in the act of lifting? Maybe we read enough and the message that seeps into the unconscious is that lifting is the key. Who knows?

Lifting has a definite appeal. You feel like you're actually accomplishing something. Of course, you don't grow in the gym. You grow outside of it. Anyway, it's hard to make eating food seem exciting. Sure that has something to do with it.

Khampa Nomad
07-15-07, 2:12 am
Its all a science, and you have to be smart if you want to grow. Be dedicated in all aspects, not just your training. It all goes back to the fact, that this is a lifestyle, not just an hour or two out your day, and if you don't recognize that, you might as well get the fuck out. Fantastic post freak.

ANewBreed
07-16-07, 4:27 am
I can't remember the entire quote but it went a little something like this.

The iron never lies. It never changes. If there's one thing you can count in life, it's the iron. At the end of the day, 200 lbs is always 200 lbs.

DoOzA
07-16-07, 5:45 pm
Interesting post.....have to agree is very important... trouble is what do u do when your overweight and yet what growth.. would i be correct in assuming you cant cut and grow at the same time?.... another thing im constantley being told which is killing me... GENETICS... im told in order to grow you have to have this... with out this im told size will always be a dream and never reality for me.. yeah thx m8... nothing likw kickin a fat man when hes down.. like coming to gym and seeing you "genetic freaks" laugh at me aint bad enough... and 1 more thing if diet is so important how the hell can some of these guys grow so damn fast all they eating is shit all day ... trying to tell me KFC aint take away food cus its chicken!! so its in there diet along with tyhe fizzy soft drinks and choclate bars they shoving down all day.... please... kills me to see this... been dieting for 4 mionths.... 4 f**ing long months only lost 2 stone and still fat .. so sick of plain chicken and tuna... god give me strengh ... these goes go on there so called diets and loose that in 2 weeks.... pfff...

sorry guys went a bit off subject didnt meen to burnden yuo with my thoughts which is why i try not to post to muchh .... guess im just feeling it a bit today...

MassMonster
07-16-07, 5:48 pm
Lifting has a definite appeal. You feel like you're actually accomplishing something. Of course, you don't grow in the gym. You grow outside of it. Anyway, it's hard to make eating food seem exciting. Sure that has something to do with it.

pie eating contest lol .....sweet potatoe pie? that would make it somewhat intersting...

ANewBreed
07-16-07, 8:01 pm
Interesting post.....have to agree is very important... trouble is what do u do when your overweight and yet what growth.. would i be correct in assuming you cant cut and grow at the same time?.... another thing im constantley being told which is killing me... GENETICS... im told in order to grow you have to have this... with out this im told size will always be a dream and never reality for me.. yeah thx m8... nothing likw kickin a fat man when hes down.. like coming to gym and seeing you "genetic freaks" laugh at me aint bad enough... and 1 more thing if diet is so important how the hell can some of these guys grow so damn fast all they eating is shit all day ... trying to tell me KFC aint take away food cus its chicken!! so its in there diet along with tyhe fizzy soft drinks and choclate bars they shoving down all day.... please... kills me to see this... been dieting for 4 mionths.... 4 f**ing long months only lost 2 stone and still fat .. so sick of plain chicken and tuna... god give me strengh ... these goes go on there so called diets and loose that in 2 weeks.... pfff...

sorry guys went a bit off subject didnt meen to burnden yuo with my thoughts which is why i try not to post to muchh .... guess im just feeling it a bit today...

not having genetics only means youre going to have to work that much harder. If you're prepared to make that journey then you will eventually reach your destination. We all travel down different roads to success, some longer than others. But ya gotta keep your head up. At the end of the day, bitchin about how easy people have it ain't gonna do shit for you. The only one who will get you to where you want to be is the man in the mirror.

DoOzA
07-17-07, 4:34 pm
not having genetics only means youre going to have to work that much harder. If you're prepared to make that journey then you will eventually reach your destination. We all travel down different roads to success, some longer than others. But ya gotta keep your head up. At the end of the day, bitchin about how easy people have it ain't gonna do shit for you. The only one who will get you to where you want to be is the man in the mirror.

point taken ... although what i was saying has really come across properly... but non the less i appreciate the interest....

Medford
08-16-07, 5:48 pm
Damn straight. Not only that, it's mental. You feel like you're accomplishing something when you're smashing the fuck out of the iron. Doesn't feel nearly the same when you're swallowing another bite of chicken.

yup. it is a mental game. food = fuel. not food = pleasure like the ordinary people

widdlewade44
08-16-07, 9:24 pm
Awesome post Freak. Eating is the key...

Kevin
widdlewade44

Hikeon3
08-16-07, 9:27 pm
Why is everyone bashing chicken? I love chicken. I prefer it 100x to a big ol' chunk of London broil where you have to tear your way through a system of blood vessels which smell and taste like sour bile.

MassMonster
08-16-07, 9:44 pm
???? damn who cooks your food? i grill my steak and i never smell bile or rip threw its alwaystender...

Hikeon3
08-17-07, 1:55 am
???? damn who cooks your food? i grill my steak and i never smell bile or rip threw its alwaystender...

It's just a vascular cut of meat. I figured most people are having the same issue.

I can hardly call it steak. It's more just a "chunk" of beef.

Hoffdogg
08-27-07, 6:46 pm
Good post, this is the part that I have been lacking...eating big, but I am now changing that, hoping to see some great gains.

ralf_snake
09-19-07, 5:01 pm
There is 1 way to eat like a mofo and like it like 10 time more than usual. But i will only mention this with permission of an admin. I don't wanna go against the rules.

priority
10-13-07, 6:49 am
yo man,
i gotta say anyone can get in the gym and lift summat, but it takes real disciplin and coimmitment to eat right 24/7, food is the absolute when it comes to BB! Thats what 'normal' people cant comprehend or arnt willing to put effort into. GET IN! the hardest part of my training is, training to eat

SICKPUPPY
11-09-07, 11:54 pm
i agree 100% with freaks post. i always tell my buddies to save the money they use for supps and put it towards food,food,and more food.

Hybridtheory2o
11-19-07, 5:26 am
I love this post its so true. I love it because I was guilty of saying psh I can eat w/e I want as long as I lift everyday. Now I am reaping the benefits of diet and training. Not trying to brag or anything just wanna share a personal experience as to how I learned how important food is.

I was liftin hard since I started making great gains eating and drinking w/e I wanted. Got to 160lbs and couldnt go anywhere even strength was shittin out. Finally broke down and commited to eating clean and eating a lot after I saw some articles written by some of the pros. I took Animal Pak, M-stak and Nitro-G. I went from 160lbs to about 181 in like 2 months. I couldnt believe that when I got the diet and rest part down along with training how I blew up so fast.

Im glad I eventually learned the importance and it just kills me to see ppl trying to get all these gains on soda,beer and icecream.

But I guess thats what makes us..us and them..them.

lycan_warlord
11-19-07, 8:20 am
I only wish i had seen this sooner. I've been putting in hour/hour-n-half every day for the past year @ the gym and showed little to no mass gains. and i couldn't figure out why...i was eating protein, tuna, chicken breasts, crackers, PB sandwiches, protein shakes. but i only gained like 5 pounds. THEN I stumbled upon the PAK, which led me here. Where I learned my semi-ketosis diet wasn't helping me. So, i started eating ALOT more, not afraid of carbs anymore. I've gained 8 lbs in the past month and a half (up to 173 as of last night). Its amazing.

-lycan

victore
12-07-07, 6:56 pm
Yes great thread. I was working out and lifting for years, doing crunches like a maniac. I changed two things...more rest and my diet which is now much higher in protein, raw foods and number of meals. You can see my eight pack through tshirts now. Four months was all it took. Now I am trying to stick to the more rest, smarter training shit 'cause I am antsy tp lift on rest days...Too bad I couldn't train hard daily.....but you can eat right daily and make that part of the training.

WeeMan
01-03-08, 10:14 am
Why is everyone bashing chicken? I love chicken. I prefer it 100x to a big ol' chunk of London broil where you have to tear your way through a system of blood vessels which smell and taste like sour bile.

man are you eating the right part??

AfterGains
01-12-08, 2:33 pm
food is definitely the variable....i can do the same workout routine and choose to bulk or cut down depending on how i eat. "nobody every grew in the gym"....read that somewhere and its stuck with me.

Wasteland
01-14-08, 3:13 pm
food is definitely the variable....i can do the same workout routine and choose to bulk or cut down depending on how i eat. "nobody every grew in the gym"....read that somewhere and its stuck with me.

As long as you train hard and with consistency, as long as you get plenty of rest, food is definitely the key. Good points. Food often gets lost in the desire to get huge.

hatebreedXXX69
01-19-08, 8:31 pm
i have always been a big eater. i have always loved rice, eggs, chicken and meat. i love lifting weights. so it's a good combination for me. life is short. do what makes you happy. in my case, eating and lifting and here, i am not the only one

Iron Jaw
02-04-08, 3:48 pm
sleep and food are two things that are often overlooked.....

Rexor91
02-04-08, 3:59 pm
Focus above all else. If your not foucused, you forget to eat.. you dont get amped for your workout.... every detail in the sport, hell any sport much less and individual one is based on focus. Without focus, nothing else will fall into place.

Thrawn
03-17-08, 7:12 am
Great post! Ppl ask me how i got to increase my mass and i tell them: EEEAAAT and train and EAT more. Afterwards they always point to my Pak and Flex and say: steroids.... *sigh* and i am not even HUGE.
I like the sound of 'The Lifter's Constant'. There is a great Tshirt in that slogan. I feel a creative mood coming up.

MassMan
03-19-08, 1:13 pm
Better to eat a fat, greasy hamburger or two, or three than to no eat. Just eat and sleep. If you pay your dues in the gym, you will grow. Gonna go get me a 1lb of ground beef and slap it on with cheeese and on 2 buns... Getting hungry.

arab910
03-19-08, 7:00 pm
There is 1 way to eat like a mofo and like it like 10 time more than usual. But i will only mention this with permission of an admin. I don't wanna go against the rules.

HAHAHAH ralf i follow you, man.

mritter3
04-03-08, 3:20 pm
i agree 100 percent with your post freak, your diet is every bit if not more important than lifting itself. its wierd most people think that we just motivate ourselves in the gym, but man i definitley have to motivate myself to eat as much as i do. as i said before nice post.

InkdMuscle
04-03-08, 3:35 pm
This is an awesome post. Everyone thinks you just lift weights and get huge, or do cardio and get ripped... doesn't work like that. Again, awesome post.

exactly u see it all the time in the gym. guys hittn the weights real hard then u see the same dude in the mcdonalds drive through ordering a big mac and supersized it and doest care about his diet and wonders why he cant get ripped or gain a pound of muscle.

Wasteland
04-03-08, 3:38 pm
i agree 100 percent with your post freak, your diet is every bit if not more important than lifting itself. its wierd most people think that we just motivate ourselves in the gym, but man i definitley have to motivate myself to eat as much as i do. as i said before nice post.

Freak is spot on. Everybody thinks you grow in the gym, that you get massive when you lift. Mass, size, weight is a function of diet. Without the extra calories, you cannot get bigger.

You're right about having to find motivation to eat big sometimes. Eating big is harder than training big in my opinion.

Wasteland
04-03-08, 3:39 pm
exactly u see it all the time in the gym. guys hittn the weights real hard then u see the same dude in the mcdonalds drive through ordering a big mac and supersized it and doest care about his diet and wonders why he cant get ripped or gain a pound of muscle.

Fast food can help, especially for those who have difficulty putting on weight. For some, beggars can't be choosers. Ultimately, you have to eat for your goals.

InkdMuscle
04-03-08, 4:03 pm
Fast food can help, especially for those who have difficulty putting on weight. For some, beggars can't be choosers. Ultimately, you have to eat for your goals.

True.. I have done it on occasion. but when u are 5 foot nothing and weight 250+ and it looks like u need to be wearring a bra, then i think fast food is not the way to go.

BrotherInArms
04-18-08, 12:38 am
I use high-calorie protein shakes as my weapon against weight loss. I couple the shakes with every other meal in efforts to stuff as many calories as I can into my day.

I also find it easier to drink calories than to chew them.

Wasteland
07-31-08, 9:08 am
I'm seeing a lot of threads in this section where people are talking about having problems gaining or losing weight. Thought it would be a good idea to revisit this thread. If you're having a hard time gaining weight and you believe you're eating a lot, more than likely, you're not. It's pretty simple. If you were to keep a log, counting calories, you could see what you're actually eating. Once you know what you're doing, it's a simple matter of adding more calories.

FireFighter85
09-23-08, 11:16 pm
This is one of the best threads Ive seen.. I love seeing to covers of the magazines that say "the exercise that will pack on mass" and shit like that... REALLY?!?! ALL I DO IS THAT ONE EXERCISE AND ILL HAVE A HUUGE CHEST?! Fucking kidding me.. or everyone that asks how often do you work out? how about for once how often do you eat.. and how much. cant do shit without food..

RandallH1989
10-10-08, 4:54 pm
It's crazy how some people can't eat enough to put on weight. Personally I usually have no problems eating around 3,500 calories a day, sometimes I am still hungry!

At 6'4, 195lb., i'm not big by any means. However, since we seem to be talking about newbie-types like me asking those questions, I stand by my statement. Hell, at 3,500 a day, I am putting on a little too much fat bulking!

Universal Rep
10-15-08, 10:11 am
live to eat vs. eat to live

Wasteland
12-03-08, 1:19 pm
Read this: http://animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?ID=415

trainer89
01-27-09, 1:18 pm
I can't remember the entire quote but it went a little something like this.

The iron never lies. It never changes. If there's one thing you can count in life, it's the iron. At the end of the day, 200 lbs is always 200 lbs.

"The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

Universal Rep
01-27-09, 1:20 pm
This post should be bumped from time to time, copied and pasted in the Training section too. I dunno how many times I've seen posts about fellas wanting to get big and focusing, first and foremost, on their splits. It's all about the food...

Ph3n0m
03-30-09, 1:25 pm
Amen.

t_mh
05-31-09, 3:11 pm
If iron is the constant, then food is the changing variable.

That's a really good way to put it. I think a lot of people don't understand that.

RighteousDude
05-31-09, 4:32 pm
Great post. Iron is definitely the constant, whereas, diet, rest and motivation are all variables in the equation. The biggest variable being motivation.

What motivates us to tear our bodies down with exercise? Our goal.
What motivates us eat every 2-3hrs? Our goal.
What motivates us to rest up 8 - 10hrs a day? Our goal.

Analytically, Goal = (Iron + Diet + Rest) * Motivation.
Where Diet is either Bulking or Cutting.
If either the iron, diet or rest are not on point, but motivation is 100% then something near the goal will be achieved. If motivation = zero, nothing is achieved.

Peace.

Freak
07-20-09, 11:17 am
That's a really good way to put it. I think a lot of people don't understand that.

Too many don't. Yet it is so fucking simple.

GUNS
10-02-09, 7:13 am
I almost find it fun to eat as much as I do. I have always been a big eater. I was a long distance runner when I was in HS. I could put away some serious food and never gained a pound. I was very lean. Got into lifting and have always known to eat big. I was down to 4%BF and still ate 6 meals a day, just different and lighter. I just started back on lifting again after long time away for back surgery. I am piling on the food and adding good quality size back on my frame. I find it funny that when my friends and family ask" are you eating again" I am still in way better shape than they are. Thanks Freak!

mhammer12
10-05-09, 10:45 pm
I couldn't agree more fellas! I'm in the Army and everybody is focused on getting jacked so they push themselves like crazy in the gym and once they're done either starve themselves or drink a 12 pack of beer. Yet somehow they can't understand why they aren't getting the results they want.

brickhead
11-14-09, 11:42 pm

Genetics. I had questions about it in the past a lot too bro and I figured it just meant I had to work twice as hard as the next guy. BTW, I feel you about the eating tuna for such a long time. Nothing like some tuna in the morning, tuna in the afternoon and a tuna salad for dinner. Lol, I dont complain though. Use it as fuel, thats what I do. Get angry and tear the gym up. Thats how I handle it, just dont get discouraged.

skychof09
12-13-09, 1:55 pm
That makes allot of sense. Im sure most people me incluided, no, me Especially, would get allot better results if we stuck to this.... rather than getting hooked on new and old fancy way...whats the best rep range, doing specialist isolation work etc. its some thing im going to try and go back to.......KEEP IT SIMPLE

Beowulf
12-17-09, 1:28 pm

As basic as it gets. Most think by altering their split, they can add muscle or lose fat. To me, it all begins and ends with food.

jandirigma
03-06-10, 10:59 pm
Yeah, you can train and train but you get nothing if you ain't eating right. Haha, I actually experienced this while training for a fight and I looked like a weed.

College Boy
04-07-10, 4:52 pm
The laugh is being forced to buy a 2200 dollar meal plan and then using the dining hall only to get spinach. Can't complain though - Animal helped me nail down my macro-nutrition and I will never turn back.

Zeus92
07-17-10, 12:55 am
I wish i saw this post about 7 months ago. i just recently realized that i've basically been on a keto diet for almost a year now. I started as a way to lose weight, then upped the protein intake hoping to make gains... i've made basically no progress in four months. measured my body fat and found out it was 4%! If only id been eating properly this whole time i'd probly be a hell of a lot bigger (in a good way) but thanks to all the knowledge on this forum that's all gonna change...

BB-J
11-04-10, 10:10 pm
Great Post btw. And I agree.

But a lot of you are asking, how can I motivate myself to eat? How can I motivate myself to shovel down that rice n chicken..

I was eating lunch the other day, having my 1lb of dry tuna on its own with a litre of water by its side.. and I thought to myself.. how do I motivate myself to eat this..

Well, I think of my goals, I know I need to hit that 8th, 10th, 12th rep no matter what! Indeed food is a variable, but treat it like the iron.. Alright, this meal i'm gonna get my 60g of protein in, i'm going to get my 60g of carbs in... im going to see the bottom of that bowl.. I'm not gonna like it, Its gonna be hard, but shit, thats why we do what we do!

REP THE FOOD.. every bite is another rep to seeing the bottom of that plate and another step towards success.

that's the way I see it anyway..

Punishir
11-30-10, 2:17 pm
Great Post btw. And I agree.

But a lot of you are asking, how can I motivate myself to eat? How can I motivate myself to shovel down that rice n chicken..

I was eating lunch the other day, having my 1lb of dry tuna on its own with a litre of water by its side.. and I thought to myself.. how do I motivate myself to eat this..

Well, I think of my goals, I know I need to hit that 8th, 10th, 12th rep no matter what! Indeed food is a variable, but treat it like the iron.. Alright, this meal i'm gonna get my 60g of protein in, i'm going to get my 60g of carbs in... im going to see the bottom of that bowl.. I'm not gonna like it, Its gonna be hard, but shit, thats why we do what we do!

REP THE FOOD.. every bite is another rep to seeing thtte bottom of that plate and another step towards success.

that's the way I see it anyway..

Very well put, it can be difficult to put some of the tastless foods down, but its what we do to get our weight up and push that weight up.