PDA

View Full Version : Ox's Stable

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Ox
06-18-09, 10:16 am
OX....as a 20 year old native male....we tend to carry our excess fat in the stomach area and it requires almost 3 times the amount of work to get rid of it compared to a normal person...i was 260 and cut down to about 220 now after endless hours of cardio...i was wondering if i should just stick to a no carb diet to speed up the process..or what other advice do u have to tone the midsection and get rid of what is left of my lovehandles

All males tend to carry their fat there! I don't know that it actually requires 3 times the work of a normal person to lose it though. If you still have a lot of fat there and have been doing so much cardio then I would say that you should probably change your diet. Keto IS a good option for dropping fat fast. If you've been following a conventional diet and have not been getting the results you want, I'd give it a shot. There are no exercises that will "tone" that area...you just need to drop the fat.

Ox
06-18-09, 10:19 am
Hello Ox:

I just want to ask which is optimal - taking whey and waxy maize separately post-workout or simultaneously in the same shake. Does it matter? Thank you for your time.

I've been told it doesn't matter but I still believe you should consume the carbs first and then the protein 15 or so minutes after. I think that free form aminos are good with carbs (Torrent, EAA Nitro etc) but as for intact proteins, I'd ingest your carbs first and then follow them with the protein 10-15 minutes later.

Mr. Aestheticz
06-18-09, 10:34 am
One Thing I Have Been Noticing A Lot Here In The Stable Is That Ox Keeps Repeating The Fact for Us To Listen To Our Bodies And Do Things Off Of How We Feel.

Things Like:

"if We feel That Our Bodies Do Better With This Particular Food Than That Food, Then Go For It!"

"if We feel There Is Too Much Fat In Our Diet And We Are Putting On Too Much Fact Cut It Out!"

"if Our Body feels Like It Does Better On A No Carb (keto) Diet Than It Does On A Carb Diet Or Vice Versa, Do It Up!"

I Think We As Athletes Think There Is A Particular Way To Do Things And We Have To Do Them A Specific Way, And From Watching Ox's Interviews And Seeing What He Is Posting, We Need To Do Things That Best Work For Us As Individuals And How Our Bodies Feel And Adjust According To Our Needs And Goals!

I Could Be Wrong I'm Just Putting In My .02

Thanks For All The Help And Knowledge That You Provide Us Ev, We All Greatly Appreciate It!

...easy!!!

printez625
06-18-09, 11:24 am
Whats your take on creatine im thinking of starting to use it again i just wanted to gain some strength on my own before i started using it. I may wait until i plateau but i also know it could probably help with my strength and muscle gains.

printez625
06-18-09, 11:25 am
Im wondering if i ate too much fruit last night. I ate some cantaloupe last night and it was good i did go for a walk for over and hour last night and drank green tea before i walked. I did eat after 8ish and i walked from about 9ish to 10:45 i did take a BCAA tablet last night to try to counteract for me skipping my last meal due to the carb and sugar from the fruit.

TOA
06-18-09, 12:05 pm
i was just wondering what ur training regimen was like, including rest days? u dont have to go right into it with reps or anything, just a general idea whether it be mon: chest/ tues:legs / wed:rest.........something like that. Im new to the sport and I love it. Ive always been weight training since I was about 15-16 but now im doin it for the sole purpose of this sport. I myself cannot stand takin rest days, it drives me nuts if im not in the gym everyday, so I was wondering on your rest days do you usually throw some cardio in there? or are u completely off everything...no weights , no cardio....and would two a day workouts be a good idea or no? for example...on any givin day whether it be chest, back, legs etc....lifting once in the morning...and once that evening...same muscle group.....21 questions i kno...srry bout dat...your real motivation

cap527
06-22-09, 4:52 pm
hey brother I am from New Orleans and just wanted to tell you good luck on everything going into Olympia. I'll be seeing you there, sadly from the audience though.

naturalguy
06-22-09, 4:56 pm
Exclusive pic of Ox:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=26217

TheDarkHalf
06-22-09, 7:37 pm
Exclusive pic of Ox:

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=26217

Damn Ox! That's Fuckin boss!

Ox
06-22-09, 8:17 pm
One Thing I Have Been Noticing A Lot Here In The Stable Is That Ox Keeps Repeating The Fact for Us To Listen To Our Bodies And Do Things Off Of How We Feel.

Things Like:

"if We feel That Our Bodies Do Better With This Particular Food Than That Food, Then Go For It!"

"if We feel There Is Too Much Fat In Our Diet And We Are Putting On Too Much Fact Cut It Out!"

"if Our Body feels Like It Does Better On A No Carb (keto) Diet Than It Does On A Carb Diet Or Vice Versa, Do It Up!"

I Think We As Athletes Think There Is A Particular Way To Do Things And We Have To Do Them A Specific Way, And From Watching Ox's Interviews And Seeing What He Is Posting, We Need To Do Things That Best Work For Us As Individuals And How Our Bodies Feel And Adjust According To Our Needs And Goals!

I Could Be Wrong I'm Just Putting In My .02

Thanks For All The Help And Knowledge That You Provide Us Ev, We All Greatly Appreciate It!

...easy!!!

It's a tough thing to do man. Working with Oscar he really encouraged me to trust in myself and to listen to how I was feeling. So many times we look at what the people around us are doing and think they know better than we do and we sell ourselves short. Not only do we often come up short, we fail to learn anything. You gotta have the insight to decide what to do, the balls to actually do it and the conviction to stand by your decision and carry out your plan.

Ox
06-22-09, 8:18 pm
Whats your take on creatine im thinking of starting to use it again i just wanted to gain some strength on my own before i started using it. I may wait until i plateau but i also know it could probably help with my strength and muscle gains.

I would do as you suggested and gain strength first without it and then add it once you plateau.

Ox
06-22-09, 8:20 pm
Im wondering if i ate too much fruit last night. I ate some cantaloupe last night and it was good i did go for a walk for over and hour last night and drank green tea before i walked. I did eat after 8ish and i walked from about 9ish to 10:45 i did take a BCAA tablet last night to try to counteract for me skipping my last meal due to the carb and sugar from the fruit.

Tough to say. Tea is acidic also. The heartburn could have been from food you ate earlier in the day, it could have been stress related...you never know. Sometimes a unique combination of factors can affect you in an unexpected way.

Ox
06-22-09, 8:24 pm
i was just wondering what ur training regimen was like, including rest days? u dont have to go right into it with reps or anything, just a general idea whether it be mon: chest/ tues:legs / wed:rest.........something like that. Im new to the sport and I love it. Ive always been weight training since I was about 15-16 but now im doin it for the sole purpose of this sport. I myself cannot stand takin rest days, it drives me nuts if im not in the gym everyday, so I was wondering on your rest days do you usually throw some cardio in there? or are u completely off everything...no weights , no cardio....and would two a day workouts be a good idea or no? for example...on any givin day whether it be chest, back, legs etc....lifting once in the morning...and once that evening...same muscle group.....21 questions i kno...srry bout dat...your real motivation

Typically it looks like this:

Monday: Quads
Tuesday: Chest and Abs
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Back
Friday: Hams and Shoulders
Saturday: Arms and Calves
Sunday: Off

Right now it's:

Monday: Legs
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Chest
Thursday: Off
Friday: Back
Saturday and Sunday: Off

I do cardio on my days off...30 min in the morning. This is just me though. You have to do what feels right for you and create a schedule based around your recuperative ability.

Ox
06-22-09, 8:25 pm
hey brother I am from New Orleans and just wanted to tell you good luck on everything going into Olympia. I'll be seeing you there, sadly from the audience though.

Thanks man! Luckily, you won't have to see me from the audience because I won't be competing! Come see me at the Animal Cage!

cap527
06-22-09, 8:57 pm
i could've sworn i read that you were competing?

TOA
06-22-09, 10:01 pm
what were ur fav foods when u were on the keto diet? if u could suggest a bunch of foods that would be great!

whosnexttt
06-23-09, 3:16 am
Hey Ox, currently im suffering with some back, and knee,elbow joint minor injuries....so im staying away from squats,deadlifts, close grip bench pressing for a little bit. So right now im doing a split like this.

mon- pull
tues-rest
wed-push
thur-rest
fri-quads,hams
sat-rest
sun-rest

What exercises would you recommend me to do? Ive never tried a split like this before and I thought hey let me go ask Mr.New York Pro (aka soon to be mr.olympia).

Thanks

DrewskiPHX
06-23-09, 3:23 am
ox, hows it goin its been a year since we've last talked.

I wanted to know what you think about cardio intensity.

I do the stair master, I love it- ill go 15 for 15 mins and am going to up it to 20 mins probably tomorrow, I get an intense sweat and after words feel really really good, but im wondering if low intensity is really good for burning fat.

I love to feel like I worked out, I always try and push my self to the edge, and I feel that doing a 135 hr cardio workout is nothing at all, I usually am at 160-170 hr with my cardio workouts but have noticed not much weight loss.

is low intensity really that much better?

krypto
06-23-09, 1:31 pm
whats up OX, i have a question for cheat meals. i started last monday doing keto. now i know you said to wait 2 weeks before a cheat meal, but is it 2 weeks from the 1st day i stopped eating crabs or from when i induced ketosis? also, i think i remember seeing you said to eat 1:1. 1g per pound of lean body weight which would make 150g of protein. so with the protein and fats since its a 1:1, wouldnt i only be consuming 1200 calories a day?

My workout:
Sun - Delts
Mon - Back
Tues - Off
Wed - Chest and Tri's
Thurs - Legs and Bi's

Each workout session is followed by a 30-45 minutes low intense cardio on the treadmill. Thanks big dawg

printez625
06-23-09, 1:45 pm
Thanks man for the input. I saw the new pic of you and it looks wicked. I know its no mistake to look that way so i will holler at you whenever i need some info

AFTazz06
06-23-09, 3:32 pm
Evan, just wanted to see what your take on cardio was. I know that low intense is the way to go for burning fat. But i sometimes get a bit confused by some who say if you sweat your doing way too much. I'm someone who sweats shitload on the treadmil at 120bpm and 3.0-3.3 speed. What do you believe is a good sign to see if i might be over doing the whole low intensity cardio thing?

krypto
06-23-09, 7:11 pm
also, for the cheat meal, is burger and fries acceptable? or thats going overboard? or how about gyros? if you can, can you estimate a number i should stay below for carbs? thanks again Ox, all the trainers at my 24hr fitness are clueless yet preach like they are gurus, and ure resume looks pretty dam good lol.

noend
06-24-09, 7:12 pm
I believe after the NY pro show he was on video saying he wanted a cheeseburger lol

Littlefry
06-24-09, 7:58 pm
Hey Ox I know you are a huge fan of nitro. I have noticed in some of your MD TV training videos you take 3 packs of nitro post workout. Just wondering do you take Nitro pre-workout as well following the same dosage, or do you take a different EAA supplement such as EAA stack?

Ox
06-26-09, 9:06 am
what were ur fav foods when u were on the keto diet? if u could suggest a bunch of foods that would be great!

Anything without carbs! Just check back through this thread and you'll find a bunch of examples.

Ox
06-26-09, 9:07 am
Hey Ox, currently im suffering with some back, and knee,elbow joint minor injuries....so im staying away from squats,deadlifts, close grip bench pressing for a little bit. So right now im doing a split like this.

mon- pull
tues-rest
wed-push
thur-rest
fri-quads,hams
sat-rest
sun-rest

What exercises would you recommend me to do? Ive never tried a split like this before and I thought hey let me go ask Mr.New York Pro (aka soon to be mr.olympia). Thanks

Whatever exrcises don't aggravate your injuries. I don't know exactly how each exercise will affect you/feel so it's up to you to experiment with what feels right during this time.

Ox
06-26-09, 9:10 am
ox, hows it goin its been a year since we've last talked.

I wanted to know what you think about cardio intensity.

I do the stair master, I love it- ill go 15 for 15 mins and am going to up it to 20 mins probably tomorrow, I get an intense sweat and after words feel really really good, but im wondering if low intensity is really good for burning fat.

I love to feel like I worked out, I always try and push my self to the edge, and I feel that doing a 135 hr cardio workout is nothing at all, I usually am at 160-170 hr with my cardio workouts but have noticed not much weight loss.

is low intensity really that much better?

I think some intensity is good. Low intensity is good but only if you are low on carbs ( in the morning, PWO, during keto etc). Otherwise, you're going to need some intensity. Chances are that if you're not losing weight with high intensity, switching to low intensity is not gonna cut it. Maybe it's your diet? Or you may just need more time doing cardio or may need to do it more often.

Ox
06-26-09, 9:12 am
whats up OX, i have a question for cheat meals. i started last monday doing keto. now i know you said to wait 2 weeks before a cheat meal, but is it 2 weeks from the 1st day i stopped eating crabs or from when i induced ketosis? also, i think i remember seeing you said to eat 1:1. 1g per pound of lean body weight which would make 150g of protein. so with the protein and fats since its a 1:1, wouldnt i only be consuming 1200 calories a day?

My workout:
Sun - Delts
Mon - Back
Tues - Off
Wed - Chest and Tri's
Thurs - Legs and Bi's

Each workout session is followed by a 30-45 minutes low intense cardio on the treadmill. Thanks big dawg

2 weeks from when you stop eating carbs. Bro, why the hell are you doing keto if you are 150 lbs?!

theSjman
06-26-09, 9:25 am
Hey Ev,

Saw your Chest Session on MD and you look fuckin sick bro! Also as many have mentioned it was a great sight to see how personable and open you are at the gym! Keep bustin ass big fella!

-S

whosnexttt
06-26-09, 11:05 pm
Whatever exrcises don't aggravate your injuries. I don't know exactly how each exercise will affect you/feel so it's up to you to experiment with what feels right during this time.

Thanks for getting back at me Ox, actually I fixed the problem and im back to a 5 day split, but I have a question about training, do you usally incorporate supersets and drop sets in your offseason training? And do you mix free weights with machines in the same workout in your offseason?

Thanks.

Kingquads
06-27-09, 1:53 am
Hey Ox, ive seen your amazing chest development, im lacking in making my chest fuller and bigger, what exercises would you do to bring size to those pecs? I stick to around 3 working sets and 8-12 reps for each exercise

this is my current chest routine

incline dumbbell or barbell press
flat dumbbell or barbell press
weighted dips
dumbbell pullover
cable crossovers

can you give me a good routine to really size my pecs up?

thanks future Mr.O

NB Tank
06-27-09, 3:05 am
i need to know how to get herculean calfs
thanks guys

thehawk
06-28-09, 6:08 am
Hello Ox, I'm trying to get myself a good diet and I know I can get a lot of info by googling but there's like many webs giving different information about diet and that confused me. Anyway I hope you can take a look at my diet. I'm 20 years, 183lbs, 5'6, been working out for 2 years.

7:30
Animal Pak
SHAKE: 1 full egg (raw) - 100g egg white - 1 scoop protein - 75g white oats - 60g banana
Protein: 53g -- Carbs: 62g -- Fat: 13g -- Calories: 550

10:30
4 Uni-liver tabs
1 pack of MRP
Protein: 40g -- Carbs: 32g -- Fat: 3g -- Calories: 280

1:30
145g chicken breast with some olive oil + 75g macaroni
Protein: 56g -- Carbs: 55g -- Fat: ~ 15g -- Calories: 570

4:30
4 Uni-liver tabs
SHAKE: 1 full egg (raw) - 100g egg white - 1 scoop protein - 75g white oats - 60g banana
Protein: 53g -- Carbs: 62g -- Fat: 13g -- Calories: 550

5:30
Animal Pump

6:00 > 7:00
Workout

7:00 Post workout
SHAKE: 2 Scoops of protein mixed with 50g glucose(or potatoes as a source of simple carb)
Protein: 40g -- Carbs: 52g -- Fat: 2g -- Calories: 404

8:30
4 Uni-liver tabs
230g green peas - 100gm fish - 1 Scoop of peanut butter
Protein: 42g -- Carbs: 54g -- Fat: 16g -- Calories: 450

12:00
SHAKE: 1 Scoop slow absorption protein -- 1 Scoop peanut butter -- 50g white oats
Protein: 33g -- Carbs: 50g -- Fat: 18g -- Calories: 500

Total intake
Protein: 317
Carb: 367
Fat: 80
Cals: 3300

I workout two bodyparts per day, 5 days a week.
2 days will be for cardio (20 minutes) and abs (to get rid of some belly fat) I also plan to lower cal intake to 2800 on these two days.

Ox
06-28-09, 10:28 pm
Evan, just wanted to see what your take on cardio was. I know that low intense is the way to go for burning fat. But i sometimes get a bit confused by some who say if you sweat your doing way too much. I'm someone who sweats shitload on the treadmil at 120bpm and 3.0-3.3 speed. What do you believe is a good sign to see if i might be over doing the whole low intensity cardio thing?

Me, myself, have to sweat to know I'm challenging myself. However, everyone is different. It depends on what kind of shape you're in...obviously someone who is fat as hell and out of shape is mor ethan likely going to sweat more than someone who is in shape. The best way to judge is with a heart rate monitor. No I don't own one but have been saying I that I'm going to buy one for the last 3 years! The best advice I can give would be to challenge yourself without huffing and puffing like crazy.

Ox
06-28-09, 10:30 pm
also, for the cheat meal, is burger and fries acceptable? or thats going overboard? or how about gyros? if you can, can you estimate a number i should stay below for carbs? thanks again Ox, all the trainers at my 24hr fitness are clueless yet preach like they are gurus, and ure resume looks pretty dam good lol.

Dude, it's a cheatmeal...eat whatever the fuck you want. Just no CRAP. I consider things like TV Dinners, tofu dogs, etc etc. CRAP. It's processed shit and it's not real food. Macrobutrients don't matter...eat as much fat, carbs etc as you want. Just eat real food.

Ox
06-28-09, 10:31 pm
I believe after the NY pro show he was on video saying he wanted a cheeseburger lol

Yes...I fucking love cheeseburgers.

Ox
06-28-09, 10:33 pm
Hey Ox I know you are a huge fan of nitro. I have noticed in some of your MD TV training videos you take 3 packs of nitro post workout. Just wondering do you take Nitro pre-workout as well following the same dosage, or do you take a different EAA supplement such as EAA stack?

When dietting I like to use Nitro before, during and after workout. Offseason I like it in the beggining and in the middle of training. My latest regimen is this:

Beggining of Workout: 1 Pak Nitro

Middle Of Training: 2 Paks Nitro

PWO: 1 Pak Nitro + 1 Serving EAA Nitro + 20g Glutamine

And yes, Nitro is probably my FAVORITE product on the market. Out of all the supplements out there, if I had to give up all of em including protein powder and keep only one, I would keep Nitro. Maybe I'd have to keep Animal Pak but Nitro would be a close second. I like it that much and REALLY believe in it. People fail to see the importance of a good amino supp.

Ox
06-28-09, 10:36 pm
Hey Ev,

Saw your Chest Session on MD and you look fuckin sick bro! Also as many have mentioned it was a great sight to see how personable and open you are at the gym! Keep bustin ass big fella!

-S

Thanks bro...much appreciated!

Ox
06-28-09, 10:37 pm
Thanks for getting back at me Ox, actually I fixed the problem and im back to a 5 day split, but I have a question about training, do you usally incorporate supersets and drop sets in your offseason training? And do you mix free weights with machines in the same workout in your offseason?

Thanks.

Year round my training is a mix of different set and rep schemes and I also use both free weights and machines.

Ox
06-28-09, 10:39 pm
Hey Ox, ive seen your amazing chest development, im lacking in making my chest fuller and bigger, what exercises would you do to bring size to those pecs? I stick to around 3 working sets and 8-12 reps for each exercise

this is my current chest routine

incline dumbbell or barbell press
flat dumbbell or barbell press
weighted dips
dumbbell pullover
cable crossovers

can you give me a good routine to really size my pecs up?

thanks future Mr.O

Honestly bro, your routine is pretty much the same as mine. Just give it time and keep getting stronger. The stronger you get, the more weight you will move and the more stress you will place on your pecs and they will have no choice but to grow. Just train with intensity, challenge yourself, recuperate and you will grow.

Kingquads
06-28-09, 10:53 pm
Honestly bro, your routine is pretty much the same as mine. Just give it time and keep getting stronger. The stronger you get, the more weight you will move and the more stress you will place on your pecs and they will have no choice but to grow. Just train with intensity, challenge yourself, recuperate and you will grow.

alright thanks, what exercises do you recommend for building a massive back? barbell rows, chin ups,deadlifts,shrugs right? or am i missing something?

In Flames
06-29-09, 5:45 pm
Ox, do you ever lift in the 6-8 rep range or you usually stick with the 8-15 rep range?

TigerAce01
06-29-09, 6:30 pm
Yo, I just watched the new MD vids, and you are looking incredible! How the hell are you staying that lean?! I mean, I can understand not blowing up, but you look like you're around 6%...a month AFTER the show!

-Ace

Kingquads
06-29-09, 8:29 pm
Yo, I just watched the new MD vids, and you are looking incredible! How the hell are you staying that lean?! I mean, I can understand not blowing up, but you look like you're around 6%...a month AFTER the show!

-Ace

the man has the best physque in the world!

TOA
06-30-09, 9:22 am
OX i was wondering what supplements you started out with when you first started lifting? I read about how you use to run 5 miles a day and starve yourself so I was just wondering what supplements you were on when you first started getting into bodybuilding? Or were you always using Universal Products? what was the main difference between your lifting routine now, compared to back then?

Kingquads
07-01-09, 2:56 am
hey ox, if im looking for mass would this routine benefit me?

day 1

bench press
military press
deadlift or barbell row
chins, dips

day 2,3 rest

day 4

same as day 1

day 5,6,7 rest

its basically sticking to just compound moves twice a week, ive been following a traditional bodybuilding split for awhile now, but i noticed im not getting that sore anymore....and im giving my knees some rest right now (for a few weeks or so i wont be hitting quads)

thanks

Toni69
07-01-09, 7:31 am
just wanted to stop by quick and say hi...congrats on your success too. You are one hell of an athlete and I will always admire and respect what you do and how you do it Ev...you do it damn well! I see even bigger things coming your way...good for you!

Aggression
07-01-09, 2:35 pm
Just droppin' in to say 'what up', Ox. Saw those videos on MD. Damn, dude, just damn. Looking real nice. Your chest is massive. There has forever been a debate between whether or not the flat bench is essential for chest growth. What are your thoughts?

Ozzy27
07-01-09, 4:43 pm
Hi Evan, I admire you as a bodybuilder,and is all about the attitude,the way you picture yourself into the BB world is amazing and the future of this sport.
Now,let's cut to the chase
Olympia 2009,this year is a really "jam packed" edition, mainly top guys
Who do you think will emerge as the winner?
If you were in this year Olympia,which pro will you take aim?

Thanks,keep bringin' man

Ox
07-02-09, 9:02 am
alright thanks, what exercises do you recommend for building a massive back? barbell rows, chin ups,deadlifts,shrugs right? or am i missing something?

You named em. But remember: it's not always what you do but how you do it! So train with some fucking intensity!

Ox
07-02-09, 9:03 am
Ox, do you ever lift in the 6-8 rep range or you usually stick with the 8-15 rep range?

Will everybody stop with this set/rep bullshit!!! Sometimes I do 4 reps, sometimes I do 30! Do whatever the fuck you need to do to STIMULATE new growth!

Ox
07-02-09, 9:05 am

-Ace

Just keepin it clean. I'm not stuffing myself. Just eating when I want to and how much I want. Also been throwing in some a.m. cardio (just 30 min 5x per week) It's been helping with my recuperation and also boosting my energy.

Ox
07-02-09, 9:08 am
OX i was wondering what supplements you started out with when you first started lifting? I read about how you use to run 5 miles a day and starve yourself so I was just wondering what supplements you were on when you first started getting into bodybuilding? Or were you always using Universal Products? what was the main difference between your lifting routine now, compared to back then?

The first supp I ever used was Designer Protein! I was 15 years old at the time. Animal Pak was actually the second thing I ever took! The guy at GNC reccomended it and I've been using it ever since! Needless to say, I don't use Designer anymore...back then it was the thing to use...now there are better options. The main difference on my training now vs then is that I train much heavier now but spend less time training and need more time to recuperate.

Ox
07-02-09, 9:12 am
hey ox, if im looking for mass would this routine benefit me?

day 1

bench press
military press
deadlift or barbell row
chins, dips

day 2,3 rest

day 4

same as day 1

day 5,6,7 rest

its basically sticking to just compound moves twice a week, ive been following a traditional bodybuilding split for awhile now, but i noticed im not getting that sore anymore....and im giving my knees some rest right now (for a few weeks or so i wont be hitting quads)

thanks

Anything can benefit you depeding on what you're currently doing. First of all KingQuads, where the fuck are the squats and other leg movements? Second, if you can do deads plus all that other shit in one day you definitely didn't deadlift hard enough or heavy enough. I don't believe you can do any compound movement twice in one week if you did a sufficient job with it the first time around.

Ox
07-02-09, 9:13 am
just wanted to stop by quick and say hi...congrats on your success too. You are one hell of an athlete and I will always admire and respect what you do and how you do it Ev...you do it damn well! I see even bigger things coming your way...good for you!

Thanks Toni! I really appreciate that! Hope training is going well. What's next?

Ox
07-02-09, 9:17 am
Hi Evan, I admire you as a bodybuilder,and is all about the attitude,the way you picture yourself into the BB world is amazing and the future of this sport.
Now,let's cut to the chase
Olympia 2009,this year is a really "jam packed" edition, mainly top guys
Who do you think will emerge as the winner?
If you were in this year Olympia,which pro will you take aim?

Thanks,keep bringin' man

I think it's between Phil and Kai but I think Victor will look DRAMATICALLY better at the O than he did at the Arnold and could be a huge threat. I like Phil's physique the best, Kai has the work eithic and determination to do it, and Victor does the best job at "looking the part" of Mr. Olympia. Tough call. If I had to pick one, because I know how determined he is, what kind of preogress he can make and who he has in his corner, I would have to put my money on Kai.

McFly
07-02-09, 9:24 am
Will everybody stop with this set/rep bullshit!!! Sometimes I do 4 reps, sometimes I do 30! Do whatever the fuck you need to do to STIMULATE new growth!

vote for "post of the year" LOL!!!!!!!

OklahomaMuscle
07-02-09, 10:41 am

I would have to agree with Mcfly on this, best post I've seen in a long time. Thanks for doing what you do Ox. You are a true inspiration to a lot of us out here. and I love the brutal honesty with which you answer some of these questions. Thanks

Toni69
07-02-09, 10:45 am
Thanks Toni! I really appreciate that! Hope training is going well. What's next?

Getting ready now for team universe, sept 19...Im gettn my ass ready. I will come back strong no doubt about it. ;)

Mr. Aestheticz
07-02-09, 10:49 am

X2

ROFL LMFAO!!!!!

Kingquads
07-02-09, 3:05 pm
I think it's between Phil and Kai but I think Victor will look DRAMATICALLY better at the O than he did at the Arnold and could be a huge threat. I like Phil's physique the best, Kai has the work eithic and determination to do it, and Victor does the best job at "looking the part" of Mr. Olympia. Tough call. If I had to pick one, because I know how determined he is, what kind of preogress he can make and who he has in his corner, I would have to put my money on Kai.

it depends if muscletech pays the judges again like they did for the last 3 years......then its either jay or dex again, and nobody wants that!

Kingquads
07-02-09, 11:39 pm
hey ox, ive noticed the days when i stick to basic movements like for example chest day, usually i do my presses and then ill add in some flyes, ive been doing that all year and my chest is growing very slowly, and recently all im doing is presses for my chest, and the next day my chest is just fuller and bigger, this is good right? i kinda think my chest just isnt worked enough to grow to full potential while just doing presses....

ptewarie
07-03-09, 11:50 am
Hi evan,
thanks for being such a great role model for me and for us asprining guys...
i wish u all the success in the future....!

i had a quick q,
i know that you went to fairfield university which is a really school...
how did u combine eating 6-8 meals during ur days at college??
im going to college nexy yr and i am afraid i will end up missing some meals during class or something...
i know i will find a way to do it somehow..i am just worried..

Ozzy27
07-03-09, 5:00 pm
it depends if muscletech pays the judges again like they did for the last 3 years......then its either jay or dex again, and nobody wants that!

This year the main sponsor is Ultimate Nutrition,so who knows what's gonna happen..

Evan, so,in your opinion, there's no chance that Jay takes back the sandow...

BeastCook
07-03-09, 5:43 pm
man i just saw your chest training video on MD, i have a question, when you first started bodybuilding did you follow a regular 4-6 day hit everything once a week split? and do you think cable crossovers are good for offseason chest training?

thanks ox

BeastCook
07-03-09, 7:50 pm
sorry forgot to include this in my previous post, for building mass in the chest whats more beneficial starting with the incline bench or the flat bench?

Kingquads
07-03-09, 9:45 pm
hey ox for pre workout what should i eat or drink? same with post-workout, i always hear about insulin, the best way to maximize it is to drink something sugary like gatorade pre and post workout right? what about soda pre workout? heh

TOA
07-05-09, 7:36 pm
Sup Ox....i was wonderin about ur favourite cheat meal would be whether its fast food or not...after dieting for so long what would be your favourite greasiest, fattest, most unhealthy meal you would enjoy ? lol

Menace
07-07-09, 3:33 pm
i think ox's fav cheat meal is burger and fries. I've heard him say that quite a few times, at the Arnold and in some of his videos.

TOA
07-08-09, 9:07 am
whats ur supplement stack look like when ur bulking? what about pre contest? do u use creatine?

Menace
07-08-09, 9:15 am
whats ur supplement stack look like when ur bulking? what about pre contest? do u use creatine?

you can find this stuff all over the internet. The two links below are videos of Evan talking about off-season cooking and eating.

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/2018/234/
http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/2020/234/

Search the forvm and you'll find some stuff on Evan's supplements too.
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=22867
Ox's Potent Stack
Animal Pak
Animal Omega
Animal Nitro
Universal Iso Whey
Universal Torrent

naturalguy
07-08-09, 9:23 am
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r217/er1994/ApollongABC.jpg

Maiden69
07-08-09, 11:03 pm
Nice add NG, sucks to be so far away!

Ox
07-10-09, 11:34 pm

I don't know man...I've heard a lot of people say stuff like that but I don't think that's true. I'm not saying that everyone will always agree on the winner or that someone may not possibly get overlooked but I really don't think it's because people get payed off etc etc. I remember getting ready to do my first show (The Bev Francis Atlantic States) and people told me that only people from New York who trained at Bev's gym could win that show, you won't win because they've never seen you before, blah blah blah. There will always be conspiracy theories but I think that the judges do a pretty good job. I mean, Ruhl is competing this year in the O and Ultimate is the title sponsor...does this mean he will win? You and I both know it's not like that.

Ox
07-10-09, 11:35 pm
hey ox, ive noticed the days when i stick to basic movements like for example chest day, usually i do my presses and then ill add in some flyes, ive been doing that all year and my chest is growing very slowly, and recently all im doing is presses for my chest, and the next day my chest is just fuller and bigger, this is good right? i kinda think my chest just isnt worked enough to grow to full potential while just doing presses....

Bro, if it works it works...why would you think otherwise? Ride it for a while...you can always go back and switch it up.

Ox
07-10-09, 11:36 pm
Hi evan,
thanks for being such a great role model for me and for us asprining guys...
i wish u all the success in the future....!

i had a quick q,
i know that you went to fairfield university which is a really school...
how did u combine eating 6-8 meals during ur days at college??
im going to college nexy yr and i am afraid i will end up missing some meals during class or something...
i know i will find a way to do it somehow..i am just worried..

Simple...I didn't! I usually ate 3 times a day and had 2-3 shakes.

Ox
07-10-09, 11:37 pm
This year the main sponsor is Ultimate Nutrition,so who knows what's gonna happen..

Evan, so,in your opinion, there's no chance that Jay takes back the sandow...

I think Jay IS a serious threat for the title! I guess I thought that was an given! The guy is a 2x Mr.O and one of the hardest workers out there...he's automatically a top contender in my opinion.

Ox
07-10-09, 11:39 pm
man i just saw your chest training video on MD, i have a question, when you first started bodybuilding did you follow a regular 4-6 day hit everything once a week split? and do you think cable crossovers are good for offseason chest training?

thanks ox

In the very beggining I trained everything 2x a week. That got old quick as I was spending 3 hours weight training at a time and not recovering! It doesn't matter if I think cable crossovers are good in the offseason...what matters is how YOU feel about them!

Ox
07-10-09, 11:40 pm
sorry forgot to include this in my previous post, for building mass in the chest whats more beneficial starting with the incline bench or the flat bench?

I'd say that's a toss up and simply a matter of preferance.

Kingquads
07-10-09, 11:41 pm
thanks for replying ox

just curious, you got any new vids of you going up on MD anytime soon?

Ox
07-10-09, 11:43 pm
hey ox for pre workout what should i eat or drink? same with post-workout, i always hear about insulin, the best way to maximize it is to drink something sugary like gatorade pre and post workout right? what about soda pre workout? heh

I think a meal is the best thing to have an hour or so before training. I like Nitro during training and I'll add some Intra-Aid if it's hot and I'm training legs or back. PWO either Torrent OR 1 scoop EAA Nitro, 20g glutamine and 3 Paks Nitro. Soda? C'mon bro

Ox
07-10-09, 11:44 pm
Sup Ox....i was wonderin about ur favourite cheat meal would be whether its fast food or not...after dieting for so long what would be your favourite greasiest, fattest, most unhealthy meal you would enjoy ? lol

I don't eat fast food or at chain resturants for that matter. If I HAD to I would eat Wendy's but that's it. When I feel I need something extra I'll have a burger and fries and maybe a desert.

Ox
07-10-09, 11:47 pm

Bulking:

Animal Pak
Animal Nitro + EAA Nitro
Animal Omega
Torrent
Glutamine
Iso-Whey
Intra-Aid

When cutting I use all the same stuff but no Torrent or Intra-Aid. I'll keep some EAA Nitro in there for after my leg and back training. The creatine I use is only what I get in Torrent.

In Flames
07-11-09, 2:23 am
Hey Ox, how many whole food meals are you currently eating? You still adding Oatmeal and Olive or Mac. Nut Oil to your shakes?

TOA
07-12-09, 5:47 pm
hey, when your cutting and doing 1.5 hours of cardio, how do u go about doing it? do u usually go with a slow paced jog for the hour and a half straight...or mix it up!

Ox
07-13-09, 7:39 pm
Hey Ox, how many whole food meals are you currently eating? You still adding Oatmeal and Olive or Mac. Nut Oil to your shakes?

4 whole food meals and one shake. Right now I'm adding mixed berries and flax oil to my shakes.

Ox
07-13-09, 7:40 pm
hey, when your cutting and doing 1.5 hours of cardio, how do u go about doing it? do u usually go with a slow paced jog for the hour and a half straight...or mix it up!

I mix it up. I'll do one session in the mornign and another later on. I like to use the treadmill.

Kingquads
07-13-09, 10:04 pm
any new videos coming out? like on MD?

thanks

TOA
07-14-09, 9:10 am
do u have any advice , besides the obvious hard work, for people with the ectomorph body type? Im 20 years old, 6'6 and 225lbs...i got some longg limbs...so I know itll take a bit longer to pack on some muscle....i was just wondering if you had any pointers?

mahscles
07-14-09, 11:16 am
whats up ox? anything new coming up soon?

N. Motta
07-14-09, 7:20 pm
Hey Evan, question regarding baking your sweet potato/yam chips...

How exactly do you bake them? I saw you use some oil and salt, but what works best for getting the thinly sliced sweet spuds/yams to come out crispy and not soggy?

TheDarkHalf
07-14-09, 9:43 pm

How exactly do you bake them? I saw you use some oil and salt, but what works best for getting the thinly sliced sweet spuds/yams to come out crispy and not soggy?

I've found that the thinner you slice them the crisper they get

rainwave
07-15-09, 6:51 am
Hey Ox... quick question. Do you use flex year round? I've seen you list your stack here, but it doesn't include flex. Is it something you take only when you are having soreness or was it just a misunderstanding on my part? Would you recommend taking flex even if you aren't sore? I heard somewhere that taking it when it's not necessary stops your body's natural production of glucosamine within your cartilage... I'm guessing that's way off, but I'd like to hear your professional opinion on that if possible.

Thanks bro.

Alucard
07-16-09, 4:06 pm
hey ev! how you doing??? looking good to me man,actually unblievable... everytime we see a new vid or pic ox is bigger and better!NICE!
QUESTION:

Alucard
07-16-09, 4:24 pm
QUESTION:[/QUOTE]
I train at 7 in the morning, now ive been eating at 6... 60g whey, 50g oats, 1banana ad 1tbs p/b.
After trianing i take torrent and a hour later 7 eggs. plz gve me your opinion, do yo think preworkout meal like this is suffisient when im also a guy believing in high intensity nd weigh 255...

another thing i wanted to know is that ive been reading everywhere u should not consume fats before training? is this true and why not?
Do u think 2 paks of nitro a day will do or should i consume even more amino supps?
Thanx for the help ox... i always come to u with the qeustions bcuase the answers always seem to be right and work for me!!!
peace

rippedC
07-16-09, 7:30 pm
Hey Ox can you help me with my training, is this good or is it too much, do I need to add in anything? Here take a look.

Chest-

incline bench press
bench press
weighted dips
dumbbell pullover superset w/ dumbbell fly (flat or incline)

Back-

chin ups or pulldowns
t-bar row
deadlift or barbell row
dumbbell row
seated row

delts-

seated dumbbell press
front barbell military press
bent over laterals superset w/ upright row
dumbbell side laterals
barbell shrug

arms-

close grip bench press
lying skullcrusher
bench dips superset w/ pushdowns or dumbbell skullcrushers
weighed dips

barbell curl
incline curl superset w/ db curl
preacher machine curl
dumbbell hammer curl superset w/ cable curls

legs-

leg ex
squats or front squats
leg presses or hack squats
stiff leg deads
db lunges
leg curls

my calories are around 3k-5k per day

oh and do you know any ways to increase vascularity? or is it just a genetic thing? i know NO2 products help wth that but are there any other ways?

Thanks.

TOA
07-17-09, 9:22 am
Hey Ox can you help me with my training, is this good or is it too much, do I need to add in anything? Here take a look.

Chest-

incline bench press
bench press
weighted dips

Back-

chin ups or pulldowns
t-bar row
deadlift or barbell row
dumbbell row
seated row

delts-

seated dumbbell press
dumbbell side laterals
barbell shrug

arms-

close grip bench press
lying skullcrusher
weighed dips

barbell curl
preacher machine curl

legs-

leg ex
squats or front squats
stiff leg deads
db lunges
leg curls

oh and do you know any ways to increase vascularity? or is it just a genetic thing? i know NO2 products help wth that but are there any other ways?

Thanks.

I sort of asked the same question before. Like Ox said, do whatever it takes to stimulate new growth. Depending on how your body recovers, either add/remove some exercises

TheDarkHalf
07-17-09, 9:26 am
I sort of asked the same question before. Like Ox said, do whatever it takes to stimulate new growth. Depending on how your body recovers, either add/remove some exercises

X2 - Do whatever you feel you need to do when you are in the gym. I'm always doing something different whether it's new exercises or the same exercises in a different order.

Fury317
07-17-09, 10:04 am

Thanks.

Bro, I dont want to step on any toes and answer a question not directed at me, but 3k-5k is an ENORMOUS difference. If you take in 3k cals one day and 5k cals another, your body is going to say "What the fuck is going on!?" You have to be a lot more consistent. Maybe within 200-500 cals everyday.

And as far as vascularity goes, its mainly about bodyfat percentage. If you carry fat you arent going to see veins- or few. But get on a treadmill for 30 min everyday and youll start to see more and more. Also, make sure to train heavy with intensity, becuase the more muscle you have to more vascularity you will have. The body will be forced to create new capillaries to bring nutrients to your muscles.

mritter3
07-17-09, 2:07 pm
hey Ox after seeing countless vids on internet and such, you really have this posing thing down pat, i am in the iron contest and so far so good, diet is going well, training great, getting enough rest and such, but what tips can you give me on posing, because i know that part of this competition is gonna be not just how much we gain/lose, but how well we showcase it....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rippedC
07-17-09, 4:04 pm
Bro, I dont want to step on any toes and answer a question not directed at me, but 3k-5k is an ENORMOUS difference. If you take in 3k cals one day and 5k cals another, your body is going to say "What the fuck is going on!?" You have to be a lot more consistent. Maybe within 200-500 cals everyday.

And as far as vascularity goes, its mainly about bodyfat percentage. If you carry fat you arent going to see veins- or few. But get on a treadmill for 30 min everyday and youll start to see more and more. Also, make sure to train heavy with intensity, becuase the more muscle you have to more vascularity you will have. The body will be forced to create new capillaries to bring nutrients to your muscles.

you think a little bit of cardio will help? ive been doing about 15-20 min cardio (walking home) every time i go to the gym, but ill do some treadmill time i guess

i want veins because i wanna look like a freak!!

Ox
07-17-09, 5:22 pm
any new videos coming out? like on MD?

thanks

Actually, MD should be there tommorow filming the Apollon ABC!

Ox
07-17-09, 5:24 pm
do u have any advice , besides the obvious hard work, for people with the ectomorph body type? Im 20 years old, 6'6 and 225lbs...i got some longg limbs...so I know itll take a bit longer to pack on some muscle....i was just wondering if you had any pointers?

That's a pretty broad question! So to answer that I can really only offer a broad statement of encouragement! Aside from "work hard" the best I could offer would be get on top of your recuperation and nutrition.

Ox
07-17-09, 5:25 pm
whats up ox? anything new coming up soon?

A new MD cover coming out at the end of the month!

Ox
07-17-09, 5:25 pm

Broil them instead of baking them.

Ox
07-17-09, 5:27 pm
Hey Ox... quick question. Do you use flex year round? I've seen you list your stack here, but it doesn't include flex. Is it something you take only when you are having soreness or was it just a misunderstanding on my part? Would you recommend taking flex even if you aren't sore? I heard somewhere that taking it when it's not necessary stops your body's natural production of glucosamine within your cartilage... I'm guessing that's way off, but I'd like to hear your professional opinion on that if possible.

Thanks bro.

I use it in the offseason if necessary. When I'm dietting, everything feels pretty good. It is something that I SHOULD be using year round regardless of whether I feel good or not. It should act as an insurance policy rather than a cure. Always better to be active rather than reactive.

Ox
07-17-09, 5:32 pm
QUESTION:
I train at 7 in the morning, now ive been eating at 6... 60g whey, 50g oats, 1banana ad 1tbs p/b.
After trianing i take torrent and a hour later 7 eggs. plz gve me your opinion, do yo think preworkout meal like this is suffisient when im also a guy believing in high intensity nd weigh 255...

another thing i wanted to know is that ive been reading everywhere u should not consume fats before training? is this true and why not?
Do u think 2 paks of nitro a day will do or should i consume even more amino supps?
Thanx for the help ox... i always come to u with the qeustions bcuase the answers always seem to be right and work for me!!!
peace[/QUOTE]

Bro, how could I know if it's enough for you? You should be able to determine that for yourself! If you feel it's insufficient then change it. If you feel good, keep it. As for fats, there's no reason (at least that I know of) not consume fats before training. I always make sure to have fats in my diet before training...I notice a good pump, fullness, and energy with fats in my diet before training. 2 Nitro paks centered around your training is good. If you can fit it in your budget then I would take more. I shoot for 3 paks + a serving of EAA nitro + 20g glutamine PWO.

rippedC
07-17-09, 5:33 pm

what are you guys training tommorow?

Ox
07-17-09, 5:38 pm

Chest-

incline bench press
bench press
weighted dips

Back-

chin ups or pulldowns
t-bar row
deadlift or barbell row
dumbbell row
seated row

delts-

seated dumbbell press
dumbbell side laterals
barbell shrug

arms-

close grip bench press
lying skullcrusher
weighed dips

barbell curl
preacher machine curl

legs-

leg ex
squats or front squats
stiff leg deads
db lunges
leg curls

Thanks.

First off, I have no clue HOW you train. Simply listing your exercises means almost nothing. Kinda like the expression "...it's not what you do but how you do it" Use heavy compound movements as the foundation of your training and throw in other movements as necessary. Always use progressively heavier weight and alway train with intensity.

Next, how the hell are your calories between 3k and 5k a day?! That's like me telling you to do between 3 and 40 sets per bodypart! That's a big disparity!

Vascularity?! Bro, vasularity should be the last thing on your mind. If I had to guess I would say that your diet and training are far from being where you need them to be in order to make some serious gains. Get your shit together, build some muscle and trust me, the vascularity will come.

rippedC
07-17-09, 5:40 pm
First off, I have no clue HOW you train. Simply listing your exercises means almost nothing. Kinda like the expression "...it's not what you do but how you do it" Use heavy compound movements as the foundation of your training and throw in other movements as necessary. Always use progressively heavier weight and alway train with intensity.

Next, how the hell are your calories between 3k and 5k a day?! That's like me telling you to do between 3 and 40 sets per bodypart! That's a big disparity!

Vascularity?! Bro, vasularity should be the last thing on your mind. If I had to guess I would say that your diet and training are far from being where you need them to be in order to make some serious gains. Get your shit together, build some muscle and trust me, the vascularity will come.

thanks, that really cleared up things for me! now im off to the gym and gonna hit some chest!

Ox
07-17-09, 5:42 pm
hey Ox after seeing countless vids on internet and such, you really have this posing thing down pat, i am in the iron contest and so far so good, diet is going well, training great, getting enough rest and such, but what tips can you give me on posing, because i know that part of this competition is gonna be not just how much we gain/lose, but how well we showcase it....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately bro, there aren't many pointers I can give you over the internet. I'd have to show you in person. I'd have to see your physique and adjust things accordingly. If you come to any of the ABCs or are around New HAVen Gold's I'd be glad to help you out!

mritter3
07-17-09, 5:51 pm
Unfortunately bro, there aren't many pointers I can give you over the internet. I'd have to show you in person. I'd have to see your physique and adjust things accordingly. If you come to any of the ABCs or are around New HAVen Gold's I'd be glad to help you out!

hows about you come to the next toledo ABC, since we got like 6 of us in this area that are in the contest and im sure could use the help....lol, thanks anyway man. what adjustments would you make based on someones physique? just curious.

J-PILE
07-18-09, 3:55 am
hows about you come to the next toledo ABC, since we got like 6 of us in this area that are in the contest and im sure could use the help....lol, thanks anyway man.

X2!!!!! It would be an honor... Come on man we live in freakin' OHIO! We need something exciting to happen here once in a while ;)-

Mr.O
07-18-09, 3:22 pm
I shoot for 3 paks + a serving of EAA nitro + 20g glutamine PWO.

don't you take nothing in the pre WO evan?

Fury317
07-19-09, 5:19 pm
Hey Evan got a question for you. Like you, I know the squat is the king of overall leg develoment (fuck the leg press and the extra shit) but lately Ive been having very bad hip pain on my left hip that has prevented me from going 100% on squats. I still get under the bar and get my work done, but to be honest it doesnt feel right. Vinny told me a while back that you and Lad were able to help him out with his hips (I think while you were in Europe?), so I was just wondering what you did to alleviate the pain and fix the problem. Ive tried widening my stance, but by doing that I dont really feel the movement in my quads at all- its almost 100% my glutes and hams. Any tips you can throw my way? Maybe this has happened to you at one point? Thanks big guy, I appreciate the help.

MrMuscles22
07-19-09, 5:24 pm
hows about you come to the next toledo ABC, since we got like 6 of us in this area that are in the contest and im sure could use the help....lol, thanks anyway man. what adjustments would you make based on someones physique? just curious.

Hell yeah..I know a shit ton of people that would make the drive up to Toledo for an ABC if Ox made as appearance!

MrMuscles22
07-19-09, 5:25 pm
Hey bro, I saw a pic of you at the ABC wearing the new Animal Cuts Iconic Tank! You are still looking ripped as shit! How's the diet going for you now..are you back in full bulking mode yet?

sixthbeatle
07-19-09, 5:53 pm
Hell yeah..I know a shit ton of people that would make the drive up to Toledo for an ABC if Ox made as appearance!

Holy shit... Ox in O-H-I-O?! I'm there... I'll even buy you a big Wendy's cheeseburger if you show up... or 2 cartons of Egglands Best and a tub of Quaker Oats... whichever you want lol

mahscles
07-20-09, 10:50 am
A new MD cover coming out at the end of the month!

awesome gonna have to buy that one. im just finishing a bulk next week. got up to about 228 and gained another inch on the old arms. it went well but im looking forward to shredding off the fat. the new cuts should be interesting.

whosnexttt
07-21-09, 12:00 am

When do you think itl be up? Do you have any more videos coming out in the near future?

Thanks. Get em at Olympia 10.

Ox
07-21-09, 9:32 am

Ohio is a long way to go to help someone with their posing! Besides, if you want my help you come to me motherfucker! Hahaha.....As far as adjustments, there are all sorts of little tricks. Nothing I can say specifically since I have no one to use as an example.

Ox
07-21-09, 9:32 am
don't you take nothing in the pre WO evan?

Nope.

Ox
07-21-09, 9:36 am
Hey Evan got a question for you. Like you, I know the squat is the king of overall leg develoment (fuck the leg press and the extra shit) but lately Ive been having very bad hip pain on my left hip that has prevented me from going 100% on squats. I still get under the bar and get my work done, but to be honest it doesnt feel right. Vinny told me a while back that you and Lad were able to help him out with his hips (I think while you were in Europe?), so I was just wondering what you did to alleviate the pain and fix the problem. Ive tried widening my stance, but by doing that I dont really feel the movement in my quads at all- its almost 100% my glutes and hams. Any tips you can throw my way? Maybe this has happened to you at one point? Thanks big guy, I appreciate the help.

Vinny had knee pain because he was using his knees to squat rather than his hips. If your hips are bothering you, I'd suggest seeing an EXPERIENCED massage therapist and or chiropractor. Chances are there is something that is tight somewhere and that is pulling on something and making things tight. Also, your mechanics could be off. If both hips hurt equally then I'd say there's a better chance your mechanics are ok but since it's the left, I'd guess that you may be compensating with the left because something is off with the right side and that is screwing you up.

Ox
07-21-09, 9:37 am
Hey bro, I saw a pic of you at the ABC wearing the new Animal Cuts Iconic Tank! You are still looking ripped as shit! How's the diet going for you now..are you back in full bulking mode yet?

Thanks. The diet is going well. I wouldn't say im in bulk mode. I'm just eating and training as I feel I should.

Ox
07-21-09, 9:38 am
Holy shit... Ox in O-H-I-O?! I'm there... I'll even buy you a big Wendy's cheeseburger if you show up... or 2 cartons of Egglands Best and a tub of Quaker Oats... whichever you want lol

Hahahaha...the burger sounds good!

Ox
07-21-09, 9:39 am
awesome gonna have to buy that one. im just finishing a bulk next week. got up to about 228 and gained another inch on the old arms. it went well but im looking forward to shredding off the fat. the new cuts should be interesting.

An INCH?! Damn bro that's a lot. Congrats!

Ox
07-21-09, 9:40 am
When do you think itl be up? Do you have any more videos coming out in the near future?

Thanks. Get em at Olympia 10.

Unfortunately, MD never showed :(

mritter3
07-21-09, 9:42 am
Ohio is a long way to go to help someone with their posing! Besides, if you want my help you come to me motherfucker! Hahaha.....As far as adjustments, there are all sorts of little tricks. Nothing I can say specifically since I have no one to use as an example.

ha thanks anyway man, bummer MD never showed.....hope the bulk is going as planned.

Fury317
07-21-09, 10:06 am
Vinny had knee pain because he was using his knees to squat rather than his hips. If your hips are bothering you, I'd suggest seeing an EXPERIENCED massage therapist and or chiropractor. Chances are there is something that is tight somewhere and that is pulling on something and making things tight. Also, your mechanics could be off. If both hips hurt equally then I'd say there's a better chance your mechanics are ok but since it's the left, I'd guess that you may be compensating with the left because something is off with the right side and that is screwing you up.

Thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it. See I kept thinking it was left side, but it makes sense that something might be tight on the right and be pulling the left hip. I'm definitely going to see someone soon. Thanks again bro.

printez625
07-21-09, 3:17 pm
What are some tips i can do to start increasing strength.

MrMuscles22
07-22-09, 3:32 pm

Eat more QUALITY calories and lift heavy weights...the only formula you need bro

Kingquads
07-22-09, 6:56 pm
hey evan i went to your website and saw your pics when you were a teen bodybuilder! you look like me right now hah!! that gives me hope that i can look like you one day!

do you know if you got any training videos coming out in the near future?

thanks

Ox
07-22-09, 10:16 pm
ha thanks anyway man, bummer MD never showed.....hope the bulk is going as planned.

I know man. Thanks!

Ox
07-22-09, 10:17 pm
Thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it. See I kept thinking it was left side, but it makes sense that something might be tight on the right and be pulling the left hip. I'm definitely going to see someone soon. Thanks again bro.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Ox
07-22-09, 10:18 pm

Exert yourself

Ox
07-22-09, 10:19 pm
hey evan i went to your website and saw your pics when you were a teen bodybuilder! you look like me right now hah!! that gives me hope that i can look like you one day!

do you know if you got any training videos coming out in the near future?

thanks

We all start somewhere! No one is born looking like a bodybuilder! No vids in the near future.

The Romanien
07-23-09, 3:27 pm
My first post, and i am honored that it is here, in your thread. I read all the 182 pages. The thing is that i tried the keto for 6 months, and it is the greatest diet i have ever tried !
First of all, the best thing is that the foods from it are in their natural way, the way God made them! And that's why our bodies react so good at it, and that's why we feel great with keto !
With this diet, the stress is minimum, on the entire body, not to mention on the stomach. Also, the fats keep you full more during the day, and this is a key factor when you want to cut your body mass. Now, i have around 200lbs, and i still don't know what to do. I am 21 year old. I have a BF of something like 15% ore more. Maximum 20%. I know how to calculate the nutrients very well. I still haven't decided if i will go with some bulking or cutting. Do you have a sugestion?
On my first atempt, I ate something like 6 meals, but with a small difference: i ate a lot more fats then proteins at all the meals( something like 30 g of protein, and 45 or 50 grams of fat, so 120 calories plus 450 from fats). Even so, i lost a lot of weight, to much i can say...in 5 months i lost 60 lbs or more. I have lost my force in the gym.

1. My first question : how do you stop the muscle lost, even if you eat more fats than proteins? I guess that you have to increase the proteins as well as the fats, and to keep the 1:1 ratio.
2. My second guestion: isn't the whey protein to fast digested by the body, and that can make you dizzy on keto?
3. Do you often get your stomach ripped apart, after an intense workout? I often puke after the training, especially after legs of back training.
4. Can i split my 30 minutes of cardio into 2 parts, one in the morning and one PWO ?

And for the end, i must say you are an idol, it sucks that here in Romania you aren't very known. But trust me, all my friends allready know about you and the FORVM. I feel like home here. You have my respects for what you are doing here for us, the normal users, and for what you acomplished in your life. If i can, i will make sure to have in my room some posters with you, and with the Animal Sign, it really made me start once again the diet, and to get rid of all the crap from the fridg. Good luck bear !

thehawk
07-27-09, 4:14 am
Ox, I think you accidentally skipped my post:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showpost.php?p=744429&postcount=3533

Tylerrc77
07-28-09, 2:48 am
you replied to one of my questions a few pages back about the way you do your sets like starting with the heaviest weight and keeping it throughout the sets and not letting reps drop below 6 and what not. I was curious though, what ive been doing is starting with sets of 8 for one week with the first set heaviest ex: 225x8, 215x8, 195x8, 175x8, and next week same weights but with 10 reps, week after 12 reps, than re set with 8 reps with more weight...is there another way to have, i guess progressive overload, and continually add weight? Can you give an example of sets/reps on a chest day...

Thanks Bro.

:-D

cap527
07-28-09, 6:00 pm
Hey Ox, I am 17 6'0 tall and about 195. Ive had a pretty intense summer, all of my lifts have gone up tremendously and ive gained about 10 pounds. I am not in competitions but i just want to gain as much lean mass as I can possibly push myself to gain. I eat and train like a machine. But lately ive been kind of cutting back on ab work and its just now hitting me. I was taking 2 servings of flaxseed with my skim milk every morning and I also cut back on that for some reason. So lately ive gotten much thicker, but I'm starting to get a gut. Any suggestions on bulking and keeping reasonably good abs (don't need to be totally shredded, just decent.) without doing ANY cardio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TigerAce01
07-28-09, 7:47 pm
Yo Ox, just wanted to drop a comment.

Why did you make the decision not to compete in the Olympia?

Do you just want to have a much longer, more productive off season, or are you planning on competing again, just not on the Olympia stage?

What's your offseason goal (weight, proportions, bringing up lagging areas...)?

-Ace

Quadz
07-29-09, 11:57 pm
hey man congrats on the first pro win! been following you since you first graced the pages of MD. Good luck in the future!

Question for you.. How do you control your rebound after a show? After my shows 2 years ago..i gained ohh 40 pounds in about a week had cankles and a super huge fat face...I'm competing this upcoming sat and would like to have a little healther weight accumulation.

Maccabee
07-30-09, 12:23 am
Hey Evan,

I need help with some diet stuff in regards to preworkout and post workout nutrition.

This is what I usually eat.

Preworkout
40-50g of protein and carbs
5g of fat

Postworkout
0g of fat

So my main question is would it be ok to eat more fats? Reading from articles and speaking with a few people they all say its best to consume fats with protein. Also, that it would not be a good idea to consume it with carbs.

I know you usually say listen to your body but I am curious to know why the articles say not to consume fats before and after training and why it would be a bad idea to eat higher amounts of fat with carbs.

I dont know if this will help but my other 3 meals just consist of 40-50g protein and 15g of fats.

Thanks bro. I have a feeling you might say its all bullshit and listen to my body lol..its worth asking. Peace.

EdMunsta
07-31-09, 12:54 am
Hey OX I seen your diet way back on page 1 or 2 and I like but I was wondering will be enough for me because I am 6'1 350lbs and Im trying to drop weight? If not what else would I need?

krazyassmexican
07-31-09, 9:22 am
hey evan i heard the story about the guest pose
that was creppy as fuck bro lol

i hope life is well my man, much love

Swole81
07-31-09, 11:32 am
Hey Ox, just wanted to say this is a great thread. ive read through the whole thing and learned alot... im doing the keto diet so it has helped me so much.

heres what a typical day looks like for me:
Meal 1 - 2 scoops whey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon PB
Meal 2 - 4 whole eggs
meal 3 - (PWO) 1 scoop whey, 1 tablespoon PB
meal 4 - 8 oz. chicken, salad
meal 5 - 3 whole eggs, 1 tablespoon olive oil
meal 6 - 2 scoops whey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon PB

Im taking AnimalPak, Omega, Flex, and bulk BCAA powder.

my only concern is my protein powder, it has 3g of carbs per scoop, so is that too much? Is it that big of deal that i should go out and get a zero carb protein?

I also saw that you mentioned macadamia nut oil throughout the thread so im curious about that. Is it a better alternative than olive oil? how does it taste? I would appreciate any help you could give me, thanks

Ox
07-31-09, 7:10 pm
My first post, and i am honored that it is here, in your thread. I read all the 182 pages. The thing is that i tried the keto for 6 months, and it is the greatest diet i have ever tried !
First of all, the best thing is that the foods from it are in their natural way, the way God made them! And that's why our bodies react so good at it, and that's why we feel great with keto !
With this diet, the stress is minimum, on the entire body, not to mention on the stomach. Also, the fats keep you full more during the day, and this is a key factor when you want to cut your body mass. Now, i have around 200lbs, and i still don't know what to do. I am 21 year old. I have a BF of something like 15% ore more. Maximum 20%. I know how to calculate the nutrients very well. I still haven't decided if i will go with some bulking or cutting. Do you have a sugestion?
On my first atempt, I ate something like 6 meals, but with a small difference: i ate a lot more fats then proteins at all the meals( something like 30 g of protein, and 45 or 50 grams of fat, so 120 calories plus 450 from fats). Even so, i lost a lot of weight, to much i can say...in 5 months i lost 60 lbs or more. I have lost my force in the gym.

1. My first question : how do you stop the muscle lost, even if you eat more fats than proteins? I guess that you have to increase the proteins as well as the fats, and to keep the 1:1 ratio.
2. My second guestion: isn't the whey protein to fast digested by the body, and that can make you dizzy on keto?
3. Do you often get your stomach ripped apart, after an intense workout? I often puke after the training, especially after legs of back training.
4. Can i split my 30 minutes of cardio into 2 parts, one in the morning and one PWO ?

And for the end, i must say you are an idol, it sucks that here in Romania you aren't very known. But trust me, all my friends allready know about you and the FORVM. I feel like home here. You have my respects for what you are doing here for us, the normal users, and for what you acomplished in your life. If i can, i will make sure to have in my room some posters with you, and with the Animal Sign, it really made me start once again the diet, and to get rid of all the crap from the fridg. Good luck bear !

1. To keep from losing muscle on any diet, you need A. sufficient calories and protein and B.to trqain HARD with HEAVY weights.

2. Anything digesting too quickly CAN cause your insulin to spike and that can make you dizzy. But, if fats are included this SHOULD slow the digestion.

3. I do not puke too often, but sometimes it happens. If you are throwing up frequently, I might guess that your blood sugar is not stable and the fluctuations you get during training is making your stomach sick. The key is to time your food properly around your training and select foods that do not spike your insulin.

4. No. Only split it up once you are doing and hour or more.

Thank you for the kind words. Romania! Maybe one day I will make it there! I'm happy to hear that you like the forvm and find it useful. Keep me posted.

Ox
07-31-09, 7:10 pm
Ox, I think you accidentally skipped my post:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showpost.php?p=744429&postcount=3533

What is your question about that diet?

Ox
07-31-09, 7:13 pm
you replied to one of my questions a few pages back about the way you do your sets like starting with the heaviest weight and keeping it throughout the sets and not letting reps drop below 6 and what not. I was curious though, what ive been doing is starting with sets of 8 for one week with the first set heaviest ex: 225x8, 215x8, 195x8, 175x8, and next week same weights but with 10 reps, week after 12 reps, than re set with 8 reps with more weight...is there another way to have, i guess progressive overload, and continually add weight? Can you give an example of sets/reps on a chest day...

Thanks Bro.

:-D

Cut the bullshit! Will you just fucking train! Everyone needs to stop making such a project out of their training. Lift heavy weights, do it with intensity and push to failure. It's fucking simple!

Ox
07-31-09, 7:14 pm
Hey Ox, I am 17 6'0 tall and about 195. Ive had a pretty intense summer, all of my lifts have gone up tremendously and ive gained about 10 pounds. I am not in competitions but i just want to gain as much lean mass as I can possibly push myself to gain. I eat and train like a machine. But lately ive been kind of cutting back on ab work and its just now hitting me. I was taking 2 servings of flaxseed with my skim milk every morning and I also cut back on that for some reason. So lately ive gotten much thicker, but I'm starting to get a gut. Any suggestions on bulking and keeping reasonably good abs (don't need to be totally shredded, just decent.) without doing ANY cardio. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No. When you figure it out let me know.

Ox
07-31-09, 7:15 pm
Yo Ox, just wanted to drop a comment.

Why did you make the decision not to compete in the Olympia?

Do you just want to have a much longer, more productive off season, or are you planning on competing again, just not on the Olympia stage?

What's your offseason goal (weight, proportions, bringing up lagging areas...)?

-Ace

I decided not to compete in the Olympia because I just want to train. Maybe I will compete next year. My goal is to get bigger and better.

Ox
07-31-09, 7:17 pm
hey man congrats on the first pro win! been following you since you first graced the pages of MD. Good luck in the future!

Question for you.. How do you control your rebound after a show? After my shows 2 years ago..i gained ohh 40 pounds in about a week had cankles and a super huge fat face...I'm competing this upcoming sat and would like to have a little healther weight accumulation.

Don't eat like it's your last day on Earth, do a little cardio, eat clean, train hard and you will be fine.

Ox
07-31-09, 7:19 pm
Hey Evan,

I need help with some diet stuff in regards to preworkout and post workout nutrition.

This is what I usually eat.

Preworkout
5g of fat

Postworkout
0g of fat

So my main question is would it be ok to eat more fats? Reading from articles and speaking with a few people they all say its best to consume fats with protein. Also, that it would not be a good idea to consume it with carbs.

I know you usually say listen to your body but I am curious to know why the articles say not to consume fats before and after training and why it would be a bad idea to eat higher amounts of fat with carbs.

I dont know if this will help but my other 3 meals just consist of 40-50g protein and 15g of fats.

Thanks bro. I have a feeling you might say its all bullshit and listen to my body lol..its worth asking. Peace.

I don't know why the articles say that. If you feel that you need them I think you should have them. If you don't, then don't. I think you listen too much to what people say. How did you arrive at the amount of 40-50g of protein and carbs?

Ox
07-31-09, 7:19 pm
Hey OX I seen your diet way back on page 1 or 2 and I like but I was wondering will be enough for me because I am 6'1 350lbs and Im trying to drop weight? If not what else would I need?

I don't know what is enough or too much for you. Only you can figure that out.

Ox
07-31-09, 7:20 pm
hey evan i heard the story about the guest pose
that was creppy as fuck bro lol

i hope life is well my man, much love

Fucking creep. Thanks bro, hope all is well with you too!

TigerAce01
07-31-09, 7:23 pm
I decided not to compete in the Olympia because I just want to train. Maybe I will compete next year. My goal is to get bigger and better.

Haha simple, I love it.

-Ace

Ox
07-31-09, 7:23 pm
Hey Ox, just wanted to say this is a great thread. ive read through the whole thing and learned alot... im doing the keto diet so it has helped me so much.

heres what a typical day looks like for me:
Meal 1 - 2 scoops whey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon PB
Meal 2 - 4 whole eggs
meal 3 - (PWO) 1 scoop whey, 1 tablespoon PB
meal 4 - 8 oz. chicken, salad
meal 5 - 3 whole eggs, 1 tablespoon olive oil
meal 6 - 2 scoops whey, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon PB

Im taking AnimalPak, Omega, Flex, and bulk BCAA powder.

my only concern is my protein powder, it has 3g of carbs per scoop, so is that too much? Is it that big of deal that i should go out and get a zero carb protein?

I also saw that you mentioned macadamia nut oil throughout the thread so im curious about that. Is it a better alternative than olive oil? how does it taste? I would appreciate any help you could give me, thanks

Depends. If it is LEGITMATELY 3g then no, you're ok. But if the company who is making it is less than reputable, it may say 3g and who knows what it really contains. My advice would be to make sure it is a reputable brand that gurantees that what is on the label is in the bottle. Olive oil is fine so long as you don't mind the taste, don't heat it too much, and buy a high quality one.

B.C.
07-31-09, 7:27 pm
Cut the bullshit! Will you just fucking train! Everyone needs to stop making such a project out of their training. Lift heavy weights, do it with intensity and push to failure. It's fucking simple!

Oh man...these made my day. Thanks Ox for not sugar coating. I know who I'm asking when I have a question.

Fury317
07-31-09, 9:36 pm

Hahahaha yeah when he lets you know Ox, can you pass the secret on????

I decided not to compete in the Olympia because I just want to train...

FUCKKKKK YEAAAAAAA

Hope everything is well Evan. Just had to comment on these two replies.

Swole81
07-31-09, 10:11 pm
Depends. If it is LEGITMATELY 3g then no, you're ok. But if the company who is making it is less than reputable, it may say 3g and who knows what it really contains. My advice would be to make sure it is a reputable brand that gurantees that what is on the label is in the bottle. Olive oil is fine so long as you don't mind the taste, don't heat it too much, and buy a high quality one.

it is a very reputable company, i would mention the name, but were not supposed to...so i wont out of courtesy.

also, since im on keto, should i rely more on whole foods? or is it ok to do 3 shakes and 3 meals?

thehawk
08-01-09, 5:12 am
What is your question about that diet?
Do you think its good?

Ox
08-01-09, 10:07 am
Do you think its good?

It looks fine to me but then again I'm not you! Do YOU think it's good?

Ox
08-01-09, 10:08 am
it is a very reputable company, i would mention the name, but were not supposed to...so i wont out of courtesy.

also, since im on keto, should i rely more on whole foods? or is it ok to do 3 shakes and 3 meals?

So long as the company is reputable you should be able to to trust the lable claim. PErsonally, I would shoot for more whole food. At ;east 4 whole food meals, 5 being better and one shake.

LittleMan55
08-01-09, 11:17 pm

AMEM!!! I been trying to say that on other boards and its like talking to a fucking wall... Oh well I guess they can spin their wheels.

Maccabee
08-02-09, 12:57 am
I don't know why the articles say that. If you feel that you need them I think you should have them. If you don't, then don't. I think you listen too much to what people say. How did you arrive at the amount of 40-50g of protein and carbs?

Ok thank you for setting it straight.

I usually feel best when I eat 4-5 times a day. So when I take my bodyweight which is 207 lbs and I divided by 4-5 I get around 40-50 grams of protein. I thought as a general rule you have to eat 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight or is that wrong as well?

xMATT182x
08-02-09, 1:17 am

Keep bustin ass and given solid and simple advice bro, I like you brutal honesty lol.

Ox
08-02-09, 1:04 pm
Ok thank you for setting it straight.

I usually feel best when I eat 4-5 times a day. So when I take my bodyweight which is 207 lbs and I divided by 4-5 I get around 40-50 grams of protein. I thought as a general rule you have to eat 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight or is that wrong as well?

So you're telling me that "...you have to eat 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight"? And that applies to EVERYONE regardless metabolism, activity level, recuperative ability, genetics, carbohydrate and fat intake etc etc? That makes no sense. You have to find what is best for you. That's great that you've found that eating 4-5 times a day is right for you. Experiment with different amounts of macronutrients to find what you really need.

Pizzalamp
08-02-09, 2:57 pm
hello Evan- hope all is well with you and your family.

i have 2 questions:

1)in that off season cooking video u did...i remember u put a certain mustard on your chicken b4 grilling it...i cant seem to find it anywhere. was it coarse ground stone mustard? where do u buy yours?

2)are u a fan of new york city pizza? do u have a reccomedation for any good ones? like johns on bleeker or lombardis or grimaldis?

thanks

Maccabee
08-02-09, 8:43 pm
So you're telling me that "...you have to eat 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight"? And that applies to EVERYONE regardless metabolism, activity level, recuperative ability, genetics, carbohydrate and fat intake etc etc? That makes no sense. You have to find what is best for you. That's great that you've found that eating 4-5 times a day is right for you. Experiment with different amounts of macronutrients to find what you really need.

To tell you the truth thats just what I keep reading over and over again from bodybuilding articles on various websites for years now. Overall they all say 1g per pound of bodyweight is minimum. Well I guess thats all complete bullshit lol.

I now understand your overall message though. Which is that I just have to listen to my body and experiment in order to find out whats right for me. Also, that all the shit I read is probably whats best for the person who wrote the article and not me specifically. Thanks for all the help.

Ox
08-02-09, 11:02 pm
To tell you the truth thats just what I keep reading over and over again from bodybuilding articles on various websites for years now. Overall they all say 1g per pound of bodyweight is minimum. Well I guess thats all complete bullshit lol.

I now understand your overall message though. Which is that I just have to listen to my body and experiment in order to find out whats right for me. Also, that all the shit I read is probably whats best for the person who wrote the article and not me specifically. Thanks for all the help.

I'm not saying they're complete bullshit but how can they be exactly what's right for you?! YOU are the only one can determine that. I wouldn't accept anything that anyone says, myself included, as gospel!

Ox
08-02-09, 11:04 pm
hello Evan- hope all is well with you and your family.

i have 2 questions:

1)in that off season cooking video u did...i remember u put a certain mustard on your chicken b4 grilling it...i cant seem to find it anywhere. was it coarse ground stone mustard? where do u buy yours?

2)are u a fan of new york city pizza? do u have a reccomedation for any good ones? like johns on bleeker or lombardis or grimaldis?

thanks

I believe it was Inglehoffer whole grain mustard. As for NY pizza, I don't have much experience. But my girlfriend and her family are from Brooklyn and from what they say, DiFara is the shit.

Maccabee
08-02-09, 11:26 pm
I'm not saying they're complete bullshit but how can they be exactly what's right for you?! YOU are the only one can determine that. I wouldn't accept anything that anyone says, myself included, as gospel!

Thanks for all the help Evan. I know I can always count on the Animal Pros to set things straight. Peace.

mahscles
08-05-09, 1:09 pm
An INCH?! Damn bro that's a lot. Congrats!

yeah i am pretty happy about it... i have an ex bb who is helping me get bigger. he took me off the cut.

damage_inc_
08-05-09, 4:21 pm
Hey Evan how you doin bro?

I was just curious to as what your daily amino intake looks like and also if you keep it the same on off days. I know you spoke about using 3 paks nitro, eaa nitro/glutamine PWO. Is PWO where you mainly intake your FF Aminos or does it vary?

thanks man

BamBam
08-05-09, 6:08 pm
Hey Evan, just saw the new MD and you look incredible!! You are going to be an unstoppale force very very soon bro! Amazing work and I look forward to seeing ya again around ARNOLD time..

IN IRON,
BB-

Pizzalamp
08-05-09, 7:47 pm
I believe it was Inglehoffer whole grain mustard. As for NY pizza, I don't have much experience. But my girlfriend and her family are from Brooklyn and from what they say, DiFara is the shit.
thanks

Ox
08-05-09, 10:09 pm
Hey Evan how you doin bro?

I was just curious to as what your daily amino intake looks like and also if you keep it the same on off days. I know you spoke about using 3 paks nitro, eaa nitro/glutamine PWO. Is PWO where you mainly intake your FF Aminos or does it vary?

thanks man

Right now my amino use looks like this:

Upon waking: 1 Pak of Nitro

PWO: 1 scoop EAA Nitro + 4 Paks Nitro + 20g glutamine

I bumped it up to 4 pwo because it's working so well

On off days I only take 1 Pak upon waking

Ox
08-05-09, 10:10 pm
Hey Evan, just saw the new MD and you look incredible!! You are going to be an unstoppale force very very soon bro! Amazing work and I look forward to seeing ya again around ARNOLD time..

IN IRON,
BB-

Thanks buddy I appreciate that! See ya at the Arnold!

rocky36
08-06-09, 9:09 pm
Hey big guy, how do you feel about taking aminos right before bed ? would it be benificial or just throwing money away, thanks in advance bro

TOA
08-07-09, 11:51 am
Ox....or anyone else reading this - i read somewhere that during your cutting phase you do 1.5 hours of cardio a day. i usually do the same, with two 45 minute sessions. i was wondering if you do high intensity or low intense cardio sessions while cutting, or do u do a little bit of both? i currently am running two 45 min. sessions inbetween 7-8.5 mph on a treadmill but im worried it might deplete some hard earned muscle. In sum, what is the best cardio plan when it comes to cutting?

Firedrake
08-07-09, 2:58 pm
Ox....or anyone else reading this - i read somewhere that during your cutting phase you do 1.5 hours of cardio a day. i usually do the same, with two 45 minute sessions. i was wondering if you do high intensity or low intense cardio sessions while cutting, or do u do a little bit of both? i currently am running two 45 min. sessions inbetween 7-8.5 mph on a treadmill but im worried it might deplete some hard earned muscle. In sum, what is the best cardio plan when it comes to cutting?

I'm not Ox, but I dumped 43 pounds of fat in four months, going as high as 2 hours of cardio a day, and kept all my lean muscle mass (I didn't ADD any, mind you, though my strength went up), during the cut. It was mostly medium-intensity cardio, and I shifted back and forth between the treadmill, recumbent bike, and elliptical trainer. I did an hour in the morning after my weights, while fasting, and an hour in the evening, after my last meal and before bed.

Mr.O
08-07-09, 3:54 pm
Right now my amino use looks like this:

Upon waking: 1 Pak of Nitro

PWO: 1 scoop EAA Nitro + 4 Paks Nitro + 20g glutamine

I bumped it up to 4 pwo because it's working so well

On off days I only take 1 Pak upon waking

how much time do you wait before breakfast?

N. Motta
08-07-09, 3:58 pm

+1. Guessing anywhere from 15-20 minutes.

Also Ox, if I too begin to increase my servings of Nitro PWO, to say 2-3 packs, what signs do I look for to know if it is having a positive effect versus my standard 1 pack PWO?

BamBam
08-08-09, 10:49 pm
Thanks buddy I appreciate that! See ya at the Arnold!

No need to thank man. We family! But I had a few quick questions about your legs and back..

I know alot of people said u couldnt bring your wheels up to par with the rest of your body...and although they were dead wrong...what did u focus on or what was one main thing you did to bring your legs to that level? I know squats with a wider base was something you did but just curious...

If all goes well and good, you have any free space or time to lift with me at the Arnold? haha! I ask just because I am doing my next show two weeks from the Classic and would love to sling iron with you finally.

Thanks again man and take care! I will def. be in here more now my computer is fixed! Take care..

IN IRON,
BB-

xMATT182x
08-09-09, 12:59 am
Hey Evan,

Real quick question, what carbs if any do you take in during your cutting and refining period? I know you cut out waxy maze and supplement forms. Which are good during this period?

Thanks

barbell
08-09-09, 11:37 pm
Ox.
What is your opinion on squatting with a wide stance??
Is there more emphasis placed on the glutes and hamstrings?
I have what you could call "squatters ass" or very thick glutes from squatting. I'm trying to avoid exercises that place too much emphasis on glutes and was wondering if there are alternatives exercises that place less emphasis on the glutes.
I appreciate your advice.
Thanks.

Ox
08-09-09, 11:48 pm
Hey big guy, how do you feel about taking aminos right before bed ? would it be benificial or just throwing money away, thanks in advance bro

If you go to bed calorie deprived then maybe they would be a good idea but since there's no reason to go to bed THAT deprived, it doesn't make much sense to me. You could just have some food or a shake an hour or two before bed. Unless of course you're trying to achieve a specific effect such as GH release, for example, by taking arginine and lysine then that's a different story. Otherwise, no.

Ox
08-09-09, 11:52 pm

Last time around I did higher intensity than in the past but nothing REALLY intense. There is no IDEAL cardio plan. If there was we would all do the same thing. You have to do enough cardio is challenging enough so that you burn enough fat and calories but not so intense and or drawn out so that you burn muscle. Only you can figure that out.

Ox
08-09-09, 11:52 pm

Anywhere from 20 min to an hour depending on if I do cardio or not.

Ox
08-09-09, 11:53 pm
+1. Guessing anywhere from 15-20 minutes.

Also Ox, if I too begin to increase my servings of Nitro PWO, to say 2-3 packs, what signs do I look for to know if it is having a positive effect versus my standard 1 pack PWO?

Increased muscle fullness and faster recuperation are how I tell.

Ox
08-09-09, 11:56 pm
No need to thank man. We family! But I had a few quick questions about your legs and back..

I know alot of people said u couldnt bring your wheels up to par with the rest of your body...and although they were dead wrong...what did u focus on or what was one main thing you did to bring your legs to that level? I know squats with a wider base was something you did but just curious...

If all goes well and good, you have any free space or time to lift with me at the Arnold? haha! I ask just because I am doing my next show two weeks from the Classic and would love to sling iron with you finally.

Thanks again man and take care! I will def. be in here more now my computer is fixed! Take care..

IN IRON,
BB-

Leg training revolves around the squat for me. From there it's just a matter of pushing new weight and bringing it to failure. You just go as hard and heavy as possible...it's actually pretty simple. Stance varies. As for training at the Arnold, we'll see what happens.

Ox
08-09-09, 11:57 pm
Hey Evan,

Real quick question, what carbs if any do you take in during your cutting and refining period? I know you cut out waxy maze and supplement forms. Which are good during this period?

Thanks

Rice, potatoes, ezekiel bread, maybe some oats.

Ox
08-09-09, 11:59 pm
Ox.
I have what you could call "squatters ass" or very thick glutes from squatting. I'm trying to avoid exercises that place too much emphasis on glutes and was wondering if there are alternatives exercises that place less emphasis on the glutes.
Thanks.

Have you ever seen anyone with tremendous legs who didn't have a big ass? The two go hand in hand. Strong glutes are your friend in trying to develop big legs. Just squat and keep your back straight.

xMATT182x
08-10-09, 1:00 am
Rice, potatoes, ezekiel bread, maybe some oats.

Thanks Evan, I'll hit it up.

barbell
08-10-09, 1:11 am
Have you ever seen anyone with tremendous legs who didn't have a big ass? The two go hand in hand. Strong glutes are your friend in trying to develop big legs. Just squat and keep your back straight.

You know..now that you mention it, I've yet to see someone with a small ass and huge legs. You make a good point Ox.
Thanks.

B.C.
08-10-09, 11:06 am
You know..now that you mention it, I've yet to see someone with a small ass and huge legs. You make a good point Ox.
Thanks.

There's a lot of fat and water in your ass too...don't forget about that. Only when these guys diet down for a show and get rid of all that fat and water does a huge ass turn into well developed glutes. If it weren't for that huge ass in the offseason, there wouldn't be any glutes come contest time.

By the way Ox...does sitting become a little uncomfortable when you get rid of all the fat and water in your ass?

Just curious.

Kingquads
08-10-09, 5:31 pm
hey evan are macadamia nuts good ? or should i just get the oil? because the nuts contain soybeans....isnt that bad for bodybuilding?

N. Motta
08-10-09, 6:46 pm
Increased muscle fullness and faster recuperation are how I tell.

Thanks Evan.

Pizzalamp
08-10-09, 8:03 pm
evan whats your opinion on:
sardines as a meal choice?
using heavy whipping cream in the protein shakes?

thanks!

Littlefry
08-11-09, 1:09 am
Quick Question Ox. I know that you are a big fan of EFA's and Amino Acids. Im thinking about a new stack in the offseason to bulk up on and considering Pak, Omega, Nitro, Storm, and Torrent. Just wondering when do you take your Omega and Nitro during both training and non-training days. Of course Ill just be taking a pack of Nitro a day both money wise, and Im not a 260+ pound beast like you so tkaing 3 packs for me seems like a bit much.

Tallwhitebread0042
08-11-09, 2:38 am
Ox.
Thanks.

Front Squat dude. Maybe avoid going below parallel since your glutes are overpowering as well. Also try pre-exhausting your quads before squatting, and yes wide stance will hit the inner thighs, hams and glutes, especially if you go below parallel. hope this helped.

Tallwhitebread0042
08-11-09, 2:51 am
For my next post i shall address the great OX himself. that big bastard:

Ox, I must say you looked absolutely AMAZING on the cover of MD; seriously it was fucking RIDICULOUS how good your delts and arms were. they reminded me of arnolds with that fucking outer peak. and what the hell is up with those triceps?!?! they are nothing but STRIATED mass. i dont think i saw space on those things to even call "nonstriated."

anyways...

I have met you once at the Arnold, you were a tad busy (for reasons i forgot, who cares), but I am doing my first show in march as well (as that other dude said), and would love to train with you and some of the other Animals sometime at night after the arnold closes down...I've talked to G a few times...he's a funnny cat. I hope to train with him too.

In all honesty...I just wanna see you train those damn arms...I could just sit there and stare man in all honesty haha. Mine are growin though too! I'll catch up to you sooner or later...

barbell
08-11-09, 5:55 am
Front Squat dude. Maybe avoid going below parallel since your glutes are overpowering as well. Also try pre-exhausting your quads before squatting, and yes wide stance will hit the inner thighs, hams and glutes, especially if you go below parallel. hope this helped.

Thanks man. I will try pre-exhausting next time.
I do feel it more in my quads when front squatting, problem is when I up the weight the bar digs in to my neck and I cant breathe. I just gotta try it out more often, play around with the bar placement. Front Squatting with a Smith will do the same??

Tallwhitebread0042
08-11-09, 6:49 am
The barbell squat cannot be compared to any other squat. It is the KING of exercises. The smith will be an OKAY substitute, but it should only that...a SUBSTITUTE. You should learn how to front squat correctly. It sounds like hold the bar incorrectly. It should rest across your shoulders with your arms up and elbows flaring outwards. Or you can do the classic "cleaning hold" (idk wtf to call it) where you hold the barbell with your hands and let your wrists roll back then squat the whole time but that shit kills my hands. As for having trouble with the breathing, I would try to wrap the barbell in a towel, that's what I do, it also feels better on my rotator cuffs cuz those things work hard to keep that barbell up.

Question, what rep range are doing with the front squat thats making you have problems?

Thanks man. I will try pre-exhausting next time.
I do feel it more in my quads when front squatting, problem is when I up the weight the bar digs in to my neck and I cant breathe. I just gotta try it out more often, play around with the bar placement. Front Squatting with a Smith will do the same??

B.C.
08-11-09, 9:18 am
The barbell squat cannot be compared to any other squat. It is the KING of exercises. The smith will be an OKAY substitute, but it should only that...a SUBSTITUTE. You should learn how to front squat correctly. It sounds like hold the bar incorrectly. It should rest across your shoulders with your arms up and elbows flaring outwards. Or you can do the classic "cleaning hold" (idk wtf to call it) where you hold the barbell with your hands and let your wrists roll back then squat the whole time but that shit kills my hands. As for having trouble with the breathing, I would try to wrap the barbell in a towel, that's what I do, it also feels better on my rotator cuffs cuz those things work hard to keep that barbell up.

Question, what rep range are doing with the front squat thats making you have problems?

Careful not to hijack the big man's thread bro. The Pros have earned these threads, let's try not to impose.

N. Motta
08-11-09, 12:09 pm

Jeezus, last time I checked this was Evan's thread. They want the advice of a pro.

sly06
08-11-09, 12:31 pm
Evan,
I have a quick question on a specific type of diet. I have a good friend of mine who wants to get cut, but the problem is he is diabetic. I know this is a general question and I don't expect any specific answers, but any hints on what to do? I appreciate the help bro. Thanks!

Quadz
08-11-09, 1:13 pm
hey brother rebounded pretty well after the show just 20 pounds or so but staying really lean thanks for the tips!

barbell
08-11-09, 5:02 pm
Ox.
Your knowledge on matters of nutrition is invaluable.
Currently I use extra virgin olive oil as a fat source in most of my meals. I've decided to switch it up with mac nut oil.problem is there is no mac nut oil where I live so I looked around and found peanut oil and soya oil.
I was keen to get peanut oil because Im sure itd taste good..the soya oil on the other hand said (the label) it was a good source of omega 3s and 6s.
Whats your opinion on the soya and peanut oil, are they good to use or should I stick with the olive oil?

Tallwhitebread0042
08-11-09, 9:35 pm
okay i get what you're saying, I just had an answer so i gave one...everyone has knowledge...OX is a busy man, he replies to ALOT of posts. literally everyone thats asks. so my 2 cents was help out a fellow brother so OX didnt have to respond.

i got you though...ill keep it to PM's instead. you right this his thread.

Ox
08-11-09, 9:54 pm
There's a lot of fat and water in your ass too...don't forget about that. Only when these guys diet down for a show and get rid of all that fat and water does a huge ass turn into well developed glutes. If it weren't for that huge ass in the offseason, there wouldn't be any glutes come contest time.

By the way Ox...does sitting become a little uncomfortable when you get rid of all the fat and water in your ass?

Just curious.

If you're sitting on a hard surface it does but then again, that always hurts.

Ox
08-11-09, 9:55 pm
hey evan are macadamia nuts good ? or should i just get the oil? because the nuts contain soybeans....isnt that bad for bodybuilding?

Macadamias contain soy?!

Ox
08-11-09, 9:56 pm
evan whats your opinion on:
sardines as a meal choice?
using heavy whipping cream in the protein shakes?

thanks!

If you like em I suppose you could eat sardines. I just prefer fresh food to anything that comes in a can. That is of course assuming you mean canned sardines. I think heavy whipping cream in shakes is good.

Ox
08-11-09, 9:58 pm
Quick Question Ox. I know that you are a big fan of EFA's and Amino Acids. Im thinking about a new stack in the offseason to bulk up on and considering Pak, Omega, Nitro, Storm, and Torrent. Just wondering when do you take your Omega and Nitro during both training and non-training days. Of course Ill just be taking a pack of Nitro a day both money wise, and Im not a 260+ pound beast like you so tkaing 3 packs for me seems like a bit much.

I take Omega with mt mornign meal and again in the afternoon with a meal. On off days, I only use Nitro upon waking. On training days I take a pak upon waking and 4 PWO.

Ox
08-11-09, 9:58 pm

Again, if you want big legs you SHOULD develop your glutes.

Ox
08-11-09, 10:00 pm
For my next post i shall address the great OX himself. that big bastard:

Ox, I must say you looked absolutely AMAZING on the cover of MD; seriously it was fucking RIDICULOUS how good your delts and arms were. they reminded me of arnolds with that fucking outer peak. and what the hell is up with those triceps?!?! they are nothing but STRIATED mass. i dont think i saw space on those things to even call "nonstriated."

anyways...

I have met you once at the Arnold, you were a tad busy (for reasons i forgot, who cares), but I am doing my first show in march as well (as that other dude said), and would love to train with you and some of the other Animals sometime at night after the arnold closes down...I've talked to G a few times...he's a funnny cat. I hope to train with him too.

In all honesty...I just wanna see you train those damn arms...I could just sit there and stare man in all honesty haha. Mine are growin though too! I'll catch up to you sooner or later...

Thanks. If we have an ABC at the Arnold we'll all train at the same time. I seriously hope that you don't really wanna just sit there and watch me pump my arms. That's kinda weird.

Ox
08-11-09, 10:01 pm
Evan,
I have a quick question on a specific type of diet. I have a good friend of mine who wants to get cut, but the problem is he is diabetic. I know this is a general question and I don't expect any specific answers, but any hints on what to do? I appreciate the help bro. Thanks!

I would guess that doing a low or no carb diet would really be to your friend's advantage as he would need less insulin and would therefore be storing less calories. I say give keto a shot.

Ox
08-11-09, 10:02 pm
hey brother rebounded pretty well after the show just 20 pounds or so but staying really lean thanks for the tips!

Good shit!

Ox
08-11-09, 10:04 pm
Ox.
Your knowledge on matters of nutrition is invaluable.
Currently I use extra virgin olive oil as a fat source in most of my meals. I've decided to switch it up with mac nut oil.problem is there is no mac nut oil where I live so I looked around and found peanut oil and soya oil.
I was keen to get peanut oil because Im sure itd taste good..the soya oil on the other hand said (the label) it was a good source of omega 3s and 6s.
Whats your opinion on the soya and peanut oil, are they good to use or should I stick with the olive oil?

Just stick with a good extra virgin olive oil. I like the taste of mac nut oil better and it can be heated without fucking it up. But in all honesty, if you're going to use them raw and not cook with them, I think Olive oil is the best all around. I believe it is more nutritious than mac nut oil, it's easy to find, and much much cheaper.

BigAnt
08-11-09, 11:43 pm
GREAT COVER ON MD!

Hope you and your family are good! ! !

TheCook
08-12-09, 12:05 am
Hey Ox when you were younger what were you doing to develop your arms? Did you have your own arm day? What exercises did you focus on to make those triceps and biceps huge?

thanks.

Tallwhitebread0042
08-12-09, 2:33 am
Bro, we're bodybuilders; we're all fucking weird haha. Nah I'd love to train delts and arms with you though after the Arnold. I've been improving alot but If my arms take the shape of yours I will be quite satisfied....quite...I just need many years of progress.

Thanks. If we have an ABC at the Arnold we'll all train at the same time. I seriously hope that you don't really wanna just sit there and watch me pump my arms. That's kinda weird.

Pizzalamp
08-12-09, 6:49 am
thanks evan

barbell
08-12-09, 11:03 am
Ox.
I need to pick your brain. It's full of that good stuff..knowledge
I posted a topic in the diet section regarding post-workout and meals after that.

"Currently I train evenings and get two meals in after I train..one of those is postworkout, previously I had trained afternoons and managed to get in three meals after training".

My question for the topic which I posted was whether having that extra meal made any difference in terms of recovery, muscle maintenance etc.
In other words are there any benefits from having that extra meal?

Littlefry
08-12-09, 12:50 pm
I take Omega with mt mornign meal and again in the afternoon with a meal. On off days, I only use Nitro upon waking. On training days I take a pak upon waking and 4 PWO.

Wow....so on training days you are taking in 5 packs of nitro. Damn thats alot but I guess you are just a beast and need all those aminos in order to grow and shuttle nutrients throughout your body quickly.

sly06
08-12-09, 1:02 pm
I would guess that doing a low or no carb diet would really be to your friend's advantage as he would need less insulin and would therefore be storing less calories. I say give keto a shot.

Thanks for the help Evan. I've been reading up on it trying to help him out the most I can.

spartan87
08-15-09, 5:34 am
Hi Ox,
I've always thought that my hurting muscles, as in DOMS is a good thing. I get it after every single chest session quite hard for several days and on some other parts. I'm getting at least 250g protein a day and high carbs. Should I experience this so frequently, is it signs of overtraining, should I train other parts harder to get similar pains or do I need to readdress my supplements.

Thanks

Ox
08-17-09, 9:54 pm
GREAT COVER ON MD!

Hope you and your family are good! ! !

Big Ant! Thanks brother. See you at Skiba's?

Ox
08-17-09, 9:55 pm
Hey Ox when you were younger what were you doing to develop your arms? Did you have your own arm day? What exercises did you focus on to make those triceps and biceps huge?

thanks.

I always trained arms on their own day but other than that, I never did anything special for them. Just the basic shit. Barbell curls, dumbell curls, hammers, skulls, dumbell extensions, dips etc etc.

Ox
08-17-09, 9:57 pm
Ox.
I need to pick your brain. It's full of that good stuff..knowledge
I posted a topic in the diet section regarding post-workout and meals after that.

"Currently I train evenings and get two meals in after I train..one of those is postworkout, previously I had trained afternoons and managed to get in three meals after training".

My question for the topic which I posted was whether having that extra meal made any difference in terms of recovery, muscle maintenance etc.
In other words are there any benefits from having that extra meal?

I think it does matter. I think that the more food after training the better. I like to get in two before training and 4 after. I think you need more food after than you need before but I like more than one meal so for me, 2 and 4 is perfect.

Ox
08-17-09, 9:59 pm
Wow....so on training days you are taking in 5 packs of nitro. Damn thats alot but I guess you are just a beast and need all those aminos in order to grow and shuttle nutrients throughout your body quickly.

I'm a big believer in Nitro. I consider Pak and Omega to be staples...they're like food. Above that, if I had to pick only ONE supp to use it would be Nitro. I'd even opt for whole food over protein powders if I had to but I would not give up Nitro.

Ox
08-17-09, 10:01 pm
Hi Ox,
I've always thought that my hurting muscles, as in DOMS is a good thing. I get it after every single chest session quite hard for several days and on some other parts. I'm getting at least 250g protein a day and high carbs. Should I experience this so frequently, is it signs of overtraining, should I train other parts harder to get similar pains or do I need to readdress my supplements.

Thanks

Soreness doesn't really have much to do with overtraining. Muscles don't get overtrained, your nervous system does. If you feel tired and lethargic, your pulse is higher than normal and your body temp is lower than normal then you are overtrained. Otherwise, you're fine.

Shamus11B
08-18-09, 3:37 am
First OX jsut wanted to say thanks for taking your time and answering all our questions. I have learned a crap pot by reading your thread and other pro's on here and would like to thank you. Second great MD cover man you looked jacked as hell. Keep up the good fight man. -Shamus-

sanga
08-18-09, 3:47 am
Yo Evan hows things mate?

wedge
08-19-09, 10:20 am
Congrats on the MD cover. Stopped by the store to get some milk and eggs and saw it on the rack. Gave it a read through before I checked out.
Also, others have said it, but thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. I know I've had a few in here at various times.

Ox
08-19-09, 10:41 pm
First OX jsut wanted to say thanks for taking your time and answering all our questions. I have learned a crap pot by reading your thread and other pro's on here and would like to thank you. Second great MD cover man you looked jacked as hell. Keep up the good fight man. -Shamus-

Thanks brother. I'm glad to hear you find this thread usefull. PEACE!

Ox
08-19-09, 10:42 pm
Yo Evan hows things mate?

Damn good! You?

Ox
08-19-09, 10:42 pm
Congrats on the MD cover. Stopped by the store to get some milk and eggs and saw it on the rack. Gave it a read through before I checked out.
Also, others have said it, but thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. I know I've had a few in here at various times.

Milk, eggs, and MD. Perfect. Thanks bro!

Big C
08-20-09, 12:06 am
Yo what's up big guy.....I know your last offseason before the NY Pro you said you were around 318-320, any idea if you want to get that heavy again or heavier this offseason before you diet down for your next show? Or do you think you'll stay lighter? Obviously that worked well for you getting that big and then cutting down to whatever weight you were at for the show.

Also, I really didn't see any weak points on you when I saw the NY Pro pics...is there any body part in particular you want to bring up even more? Glad all is well bro.

sawwedoff
08-20-09, 7:23 pm
ox what ur off season favorite food, and how heavy you like to get? body fat % too?... u keep pounding alot of protein each day too right? cause the more muscle ur body has the more it burns fat...

violator
08-24-09, 10:21 am
Yo Big man!...great cover on MD!

I was wondering if you ever use any techniques to develop mental focus with your goals in training and competing, such as visualisation for example, or do u just wing it & worry about putting the work in & let the rest take care of itself?
The reason i ask is that Ive noticed with peeps that reach the levels of success that you have in life(not only in BBing, but other areas such as business etc) always seem to have a similar mental focus that drives them & i think learning about yours would be really interesting....

Also, im interested in how you decided to become a competitive BBer....how did you come to that decision in your life and what kind of "mental gameplan"(for lack of a better term) u formulated to become the Adonis u are now....

Big ups man...were all behind you in ur continued conquest of the competitive scene...

peace

sanga
08-24-09, 10:25 am
Damn good! You?

Yeah good mate, a few set backs as everyone does in life but lifes all good, we do what we have to do.

Ox
08-24-09, 5:18 pm
Yo what's up big guy.....I know your last offseason before the NY Pro you said you were around 318-320, any idea if you want to get that heavy again or heavier this offseason before you diet down for your next show? Or do you think you'll stay lighter? Obviously that worked well for you getting that big and then cutting down to whatever weight you were at for the show.

Also, I really didn't see any weak points on you when I saw the NY Pro pics...is there any body part in particular you want to bring up even more? Glad all is well bro.

BIG C! What's up bro? I don't know how heavy I will get this offseason. I feel I should let my body dictate that rather than me try and push it. I don't think there is much of a need to get that heavy again unless it just happens and it is more lean mass than last time around. I like to not be so heavy because training is more enjoyable and I'm able to train harder. Also, my sleep is better and I recover easier. So maybe more isn't always better?! We'll see what happens. As for bodyparts, I'd really like to get my chest bigger, my legs bigger, and possibly some more side delt. Other than that, just bigger all over (except my waist of course!) What's goin on with you bro? How's training? What's next?

Ox
08-24-09, 5:19 pm
ox what ur off season favorite food, and how heavy you like to get? body fat % too?... u keep pounding alot of protein each day too right? cause the more muscle ur body has the more it burns fat...

Offseason, I like a burger and fries! I don't like to get heavy at all! If it were a matter of preferance and where I "like" to be, I'd be 250-260. As for what is NECESSARY, I think anywhere from 290-300 is plenty for me. Whether it's pre-contest or offseason, high protein is necessary so we can recover and build new muscle.

Flash419
08-24-09, 5:25 pm
Offseason, I like a burger and fries! I don't like to get heavy at all! If it were a matter of preferance and where I "like" to be, I'd be 250-260. As for what is NECESSARY, I think anywhere from 290-300 is plenty for me. Whether it's pre-contest or offseason, high protein is necessary so we can recover and build new muscle.

Burger and Fries ... a man after my own heart. My daughter has promised me a Triple with Cheese from Wendy's in her pocket for when I walk off stage after my first contest. LOL I could really care less for cake, pies, and candy... but I AM HURTING FOR A BIG CHEESY BURGER!

Ox
08-24-09, 5:28 pm
Yo Big man!...great cover on MD!

I was wondering if you ever use any techniques to develop mental focus with your goals in training and competing, such as visualisation for example, or do u just wing it & worry about putting the work in & let the rest take care of itself?
The reason i ask is that Ive noticed with peeps that reach the levels of success that you have in life(not only in BBing, but other areas such as business etc) always seem to have a similar mental focus that drives them & i think learning about yours would be really interesting....

Also, im interested in how you decided to become a competitive BBer....how did you come to that decision in your life and what kind of "mental gameplan"(for lack of a better term) u formulated to become the Adonis u are now....

Big ups man...were all behind you in ur continued conquest of the competitive scene...

peace

Thanks! I think the mental approach that we take, whether it be towards bodybuilding, or any worthwhile endeavor in life, is very important. Visualization and belief are very important. But the most important thing is that you are doing something you love, something you believe in and something that you believe has purpose. If you belief in yourself and what you do and are willing to do what it takes to achieve your goals, then that has a lot to do with whether you succeed at it or not.

I think that a lot of people do things for the wrong reasons. If you are motivated by money or the thought of being famous or even if you pursue something in life simply because you see others do the same, you are doomed to be a failure. I use the term failure. Even if someone does make a lot of money or become famous that doesn't make them successful, unless of course that is how you measure success. I think success has more to do with fulfilling your potential as a person (that can mean a ton of different things) than with how much money you have or how many trophies you collect.

I want to fulfill my potential. It's as simple and as difficult as that.

Ox
08-24-09, 5:28 pm
Yeah good mate, a few set backs as everyone does in life but lifes all good, we do what we have to do.

No doubt

Ox
08-24-09, 5:29 pm
Burger and Fries ... a man after my own heart. My daughter has promised me a Triple with Cheese from Wendy's in her pocket for when I walk off stage after my first contest. LOL I could really care less for cake, pies, and candy... but I AM HURTING FOR A BIG CHEESY BURGER!

Sounds good! Watch out for the pocket lint though! But with or without lint, that will be the best cheeseburger you've ever had!

Firedrake
08-24-09, 5:53 pm
Thanks! I think the mental approach that we take, whether it be towards bodybuilding, or any worthwhile endeavor in life, is very important. Visualization and belief are very important. But the most important thing is that you are doing something you love, something you believe in and something that you believe has purpose. If you belief in yourself and what you do and are willing to do what it takes to achieve your goals, then that has a lot to do with whether you succeed at it or not.

I think that a lot of people do things for the wrong reasons. If you are motivated by money or the thought of being famous or even if you pursue something in life simply because you see others do the same, you are doomed to be a failure. I use the term failure. Even if someone does make a lot of money or become famous that doesn't make them successful, unless of course that is how you measure success. I think success has more to do with fulfilling your potential as a person (that can mean a ton of different things) than with how much money you have or how many trophies you collect.

I want to fulfill my potential. It's as simple and as difficult as that.

Really well said, Ox.

I've had a number of my long time friends ask me why I've hit the iron so hard at 55, after having had back surgery, and it's simple. I saw some pics of me looking old and fat, and couldn't do much about the "old", so I -had- to do something about the "fat." I competed in a bodybuilding competition precisely once, at age 18, and have dreamed since then about being able to do it again, but the injury to my back in the Army just kept me from going "heavy" for years. Having gotten that fixed in July of 2007, I'm doing my damndest to be ready for the Masters class at the L.A. BB Championships next July.

I -love- the training, and being able to train hard again. There's a joy in it I missed terribly, and it makes me feel younger than ever. This Iron Contest of Rage's has been an additional source of motivation for me to step up the game and build some mass, and we're going to see how much clean mass these old bones can hold. As of last Wednesday, I was at 246, 19.2% BF (up from 16%), having added 8.2 lbs. of lean muscle in the last five weeks. I currently have a LBM of 198 lbs. We'll see what I can do between now and October 20th, the end of the contest.

Having seen you at the Cage, and then the package you brought in at the NY Pro, I was astounded by the difference. That's about the only thing that's keeping me from freaking out at the fat that's come with the muscle so far. I've got Rage guiding my training, diet, and supps, and he'll keep me focused.

I'm doing what I love, and that makes all the hard work worthwhile!

Thanks for that set of images!

Big C
08-24-09, 6:00 pm
Things are going pretty good bro thanks for asking. Training has never been better. I think since the Arnold my diet has been much better too.....I always knew how to train and eat - just wasn't eating the right things some of the time. I may compete next spring. I know a lot of people consider me huge, but guys like you and House give me the drive to get bigger and better. You guys are the huge guys. You guys set the standard that's for sure! Talk to you later bro.

BIG C! What's up bro? I don't know how heavy I will get this offseason. I feel I should let my body dictate that rather than me try and push it. I don't think there is much of a need to get that heavy again unless it just happens and it is more lean mass than last time around. I like to not be so heavy because training is more enjoyable and I'm able to train harder. Also, my sleep is better and I recover easier. So maybe more isn't always better?! We'll see what happens. As for bodyparts, I'd really like to get my chest bigger, my legs bigger, and possibly some more side delt. Other than that, just bigger all over (except my waist of course!) What's goin on with you bro? How's training? What's next?