PDA

View Full Version : Ox's Stable

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Pizzalamp
08-24-09, 8:58 pm
hey evan
whats your opinion on the old time diets of vince gironda and rheo blair for gaining size
the diets were very high protein, very high fats, and very little carbs w a carb up meal every 5th day or so

thanks
just saw the cover of the new md and the artcle about u-good job!!

Love2lift21
08-25-09, 1:14 am
Thanks! I think the mental approach that we take, whether it be towards bodybuilding, or any worthwhile endeavor in life, is very important. Visualization and belief are very important. But the most important thing is that you are doing something you love, something you believe in and something that you believe has purpose. If you belief in yourself and what you do and are willing to do what it takes to achieve your goals, then that has a lot to do with whether you succeed at it or not.

I think that a lot of people do things for the wrong reasons. If you are motivated by money or the thought of being famous or even if you pursue something in life simply because you see others do the same, you are doomed to be a failure. I use the term failure. Even if someone does make a lot of money or become famous that doesn't make them successful, unless of course that is how you measure success. I think success has more to do with fulfilling your potential as a person (that can mean a ton of different things) than with how much money you have or how many trophies you collect.

I want to fulfill my potential. It's as simple and as difficult as that.

Dropping awesome knowledge!

violator
08-26-09, 5:55 am
Thanks! I think the mental approach that we take, whether it be towards bodybuilding, or any worthwhile endeavor in life, is very important. Visualization and belief are very important. But the most important thing is that you are doing something you love, something you believe in and something that you believe has purpose. If you belief in yourself and what you do and are willing to do what it takes to achieve your goals, then that has a lot to do with whether you succeed at it or not.

I think that a lot of people do things for the wrong reasons. If you are motivated by money or the thought of being famous or even if you pursue something in life simply because you see others do the same, you are doomed to be a failure. I use the term failure. Even if someone does make a lot of money or become famous that doesn't make them successful, unless of course that is how you measure success. I think success has more to do with fulfilling your potential as a person (that can mean a ton of different things) than with how much money you have or how many trophies you collect.

I want to fulfill my potential. It's as simple and as difficult as that.

Quality...just pure quality....thanks for the insight in to the mind of Evan the Ox....
I completely agree about having passion for what u do...from what ive seen in all successful cats, thats the most common thread by far.....

& that last line...damn...really hit home hard...would you mind if i add you to my list of quotations on that one?

I have no doubt youre destined for the greatest of achievements in your life & career...best of luck with it all!

Big ups!

K Stro24
08-29-09, 2:43 am
Hey Ox, just saw the MD cover, you look great. I watched the ABC video and it got me thinking, I've been doing BB Rows for a while now, do you think it would be beneficial for someone who is looking to add more size to switch it up with some cable rows? Thanks.

barbell
08-29-09, 7:56 pm
BIG C! What's up bro? I don't know how heavy I will get this offseason. I feel I should let my body dictate that rather than me try and push it. I don't think there is much of a need to get that heavy again unless it just happens and it is more lean mass than last time around. I like to not be so heavy because training is more enjoyable and I'm able to train harder. Also, my sleep is better and I recover easier. So maybe more isn't always better?! We'll see what happens. As for bodyparts, I'd really like to get my chest bigger, my legs bigger, and possibly some more side delt. Other than that, just bigger all over (except my waist of course!) What's goin on with you bro? How's training? What's next?

Ox.
I've heard a lot of BBers mention how theyd like to get bigger all over without increasing their waste size.
How would one pack on size without increasing waste size??
Is it a matter of avoiding certain exercises, smarter nutrition (avoid overeating)

Thanks.

Ox
08-30-09, 4:51 pm
Really well said, Ox.

I've had a number of my long time friends ask me why I've hit the iron so hard at 55, after having had back surgery, and it's simple. I saw some pics of me looking old and fat, and couldn't do much about the "old", so I -had- to do something about the "fat." I competed in a bodybuilding competition precisely once, at age 18, and have dreamed since then about being able to do it again, but the injury to my back in the Army just kept me from going "heavy" for years. Having gotten that fixed in July of 2007, I'm doing my damndest to be ready for the Masters class at the L.A. BB Championships next July.

I -love- the training, and being able to train hard again. There's a joy in it I missed terribly, and it makes me feel younger than ever. This Iron Contest of Rage's has been an additional source of motivation for me to step up the game and build some mass, and we're going to see how much clean mass these old bones can hold. As of last Wednesday, I was at 246, 19.2% BF (up from 16%), having added 8.2 lbs. of lean muscle in the last five weeks. I currently have a LBM of 198 lbs. We'll see what I can do between now and October 20th, the end of the contest.

Having seen you at the Cage, and then the package you brought in at the NY Pro, I was astounded by the difference. That's about the only thing that's keeping me from freaking out at the fat that's come with the muscle so far. I've got Rage guiding my training, diet, and supps, and he'll keep me focused.

I'm doing what I love, and that makes all the hard work worthwhile!

Thanks for that set of images!

Amen bro. Anyone, so long as they are physically healthy can train HARD. Not everyone is going to move Coleman type weight but this is bodybuilding not powerlifting! Anyone who has the drive can train hard and with intensity, benefit from it and look great. Like you said, it's all about doing what you love and feeling good. Keep killin it.

Ox
08-30-09, 4:53 pm
Things are going pretty good bro thanks for asking. Training has never been better. I think since the Arnold my diet has been much better too.....I always knew how to train and eat - just wasn't eating the right things some of the time. I may compete next spring. I know a lot of people consider me huge, but guys like you and House give me the drive to get bigger and better. You guys are the huge guys. You guys set the standard that's for sure! Talk to you later bro.

Good for you man...I'm glad to hear that. Diet is SO important and I'm sure you're seeing the improvments already. Just trust in yourself and fuck comparing yourself to other people. It's great to get motivated but you have to set your OWN standard and chase that down! Keep doin your thing.

Ox
08-30-09, 4:54 pm
hey evan
whats your opinion on the old time diets of vince gironda and rheo blair for gaining size
the diets were very high protein, very high fats, and very little carbs w a carb up meal every 5th day or so

thanks
just saw the cover of the new md and the artcle about u-good job!!

Without knowing the specifics, all I can say that almost ANYTHING can work for a period of time! It's just all about finding what you prefer and what you find to work the best for you. The only way to know is to try it! Me, personally, for gaining size I DO believe carbs are important.

Ox
08-30-09, 4:56 pm
Quality...just pure quality....thanks for the insight in to the mind of Evan the Ox....
I completely agree about having passion for what u do...from what ive seen in all successful cats, thats the most common thread by far.....

& that last line...damn...really hit home hard...would you mind if i add you to my list of quotations on that one?

I have no doubt youre destined for the greatest of achievements in your life & career...best of luck with it all!

Big ups!

Thanks man. Yeah if you like the quote, quote it up!

Ox
08-30-09, 4:57 pm
Hey Ox, just saw the MD cover, you look great. I watched the ABC video and it got me thinking, I've been doing BB Rows for a while now, do you think it would be beneficial for someone who is looking to add more size to switch it up with some cable rows? Thanks.

You need both. Barbell rows and or dumbell rows CANNOT be REPLACED by cable rows. They work different parts of the back.

Ox
08-30-09, 5:02 pm
Ox.
I've heard a lot of BBers mention how theyd like to get bigger all over without increasing their waste size.
How would one pack on size without increasing waste size??
Is it a matter of avoiding certain exercises, smarter nutrition (avoid overeating)

Thanks.

I think the key is to not overeat. Of course, the waist is expected to get bigger in the offseason but no one wants permanent distention. People love to cry drugs etc etc but I really don't think it's so muc about that. I think it has more to do with constantly stuffing yourself with food..of course your stomach is going to stretch out. And I do think that a LOT of HEAVY squats and deads and other compound movements CAN (not that they definitely WILL) thicken up your waist. How can you squat HEAVY if you have an almost non-existent midsection...I would think that over time it may thicken up a little simply to stabilize your core in response to the weight. Then again, I'm no scientist and none of this is proven...it's just speculation on my part.

andrewT
08-30-09, 5:48 pm
I think the key is to not overeat. Of course, the waist is expected to get bigger in the offseason but no one wants permanent distention. People love to cry drugs etc etc but I really don't think it's so muc about that. I think it has more to do with constantly stuffing yourself with food..of course your stomach is going to stretch out. And I do think that a LOT of HEAVY squats and deads and other compound movements CAN (not that they definitely WILL) thicken up your waist. How can you squat HEAVY if you have an almost non-existent midsection...I would think that over time it may thicken up a little simply to stabilize your core in response to the weight. Then again, I'm no scientist and none of this is proven...it's just speculation on my part.

do you use a belt when squatting to prevent that Ev?

K Stro24
08-30-09, 7:23 pm
You need both. Barbell rows and or dumbell rows CANNOT be REPLACED by cable rows. They work different parts of the back.

Thanks for the help Evan, I appreciate it.

jayanticoli
09-02-09, 8:21 am
in the video from skibas you were doing deads but you pulled the weight from the rack and then did the movment...do you always do it this way or do you pull from the floor occasionally?

Mr. Aestheticz
09-02-09, 9:16 am
What Up Skinny :)

Hey I Finally Got A Chance To Watch Your Off-season Dieting Videos On Md And So Forth, And I Saw You Pop Your Omega Pack And Saw You Take Out A Pill Of It?

I Was Just Curious As To What Pill It Was And Why?

Hope All Is Well!

..easy!!!

barbell
09-03-09, 10:51 pm
Ox.
Your knowledge on matters of nutrition is invaluable and once again I need some advice.
My supplement plan consists of a PAK, NITRO, OMEGA, TORRENT and a Protein Powder.
PAK, NITRO and OMEGA are my staple supplements, but because money 'makes the world go round' I need to cut back on some supps and instead focus much more on the more important stuff..FOOD.
When I do cut back, I will only use OMEGA, PAK and NITRO, I feel that these are most valuable in terms of my supplementation needs. I wont be using Protein powder, I'll instead use FOOD.
My question..What Protein foods, if any, are best for post-workout (fast digesting)

I appreciate your advice and feedback.
Thanks.

movin'bricks
09-04-09, 2:33 am
hey brother, i know you take your nitro with torrent, i have been taking torrent for the last 6 months and have seen amazing results and muscle definition (5.2bf)... well i just got Nitro yesterday and well.. i weigh only 156 right now, im trying to put on more mass, but idk if i should take the Nitro with the full 3 scoops of Torrent, like i usually do.. or if i should only take one or two scoops.. so i was just wondering if my bodyweight has anything to do with it or if i should just take one of the products instead of both... thanks for offering up your wisdom evan, i truly appreciate it.

LittleMan55
09-04-09, 6:39 am

Hey I Finally Got A Chance To Watch Your Off-season Dieting Videos On Md And So Forth, And I Saw You Pop Your Omega Pack And Saw You Take Out A Pill Of It?

Hope All Is Well!

..easy!!!

I was going to ask about that too. I'm interested to see the answer.

mahscles
09-06-09, 3:01 pm
sup evan? anything new in your life?

NaturallyPumpd
09-06-09, 6:20 pm
Hey whats up OX I have a problem with my dieting. I am only 22 and trying to load on the lbs but I cant get the scale past 170. Is there some trick that I dont know, I have read all about eat big and youll grow, but man I think my metabolism is to fast nothing sticks to me. Maybe I am not eating the right protein/carb meals. Please help. Thanks

Swole81
09-06-09, 10:31 pm
hey evan,

im going to be going on an all out bulk in a few weeks and im thinking of stacking Pak, Flex, and Test. I wasnt sure if i should add m stak or pump, and i see that your a big believer in Nitro. Do u think i should leave out pump and m stak and just use nitro on my bulk?

Ox
09-10-09, 6:05 pm
do you use a belt when squatting to prevent that Ev?

I don't. I've never owned a belt. They always felt uncomfortable to me. Besides, I think they're like knee raps and prevent you from being as strong and developed as you can be.

Ox
09-10-09, 6:06 pm
in the video from skibas you were doing deads but you pulled the weight from the rack and then did the movment...do you always do it this way or do you pull from the floor occasionally?

I always start from the rack.

Ox
09-10-09, 6:07 pm

Hope All Is Well!

..easy!!!

Whattup?! I took out the digestive enzyme complex. I don't do well with any type of digestive enzymes. for some reason, anytime I used them in the past, I would always get reflux or they would screw with my stomach.

Ox
09-10-09, 6:10 pm
Ox.
Your knowledge on matters of nutrition is invaluable and once again I need some advice.
My supplement plan consists of a PAK, NITRO, OMEGA, TORRENT and a Protein Powder.
PAK, NITRO and OMEGA are my staple supplements, but because money 'makes the world go round' I need to cut back on some supps and instead focus much more on the more important stuff..FOOD.
When I do cut back, I will only use OMEGA, PAK and NITRO, I feel that these are most valuable in terms of my supplementation needs. I wont be using Protein powder, I'll instead use FOOD.
My question..What Protein foods, if any, are best for post-workout (fast digesting)

I appreciate your advice and feedback.
Thanks.

Post workout, I like to have my nitro and EAA Nitro. In terms of food, I like fish. Flaky white fish digests quickly and assimilates really efficently for me. However, I don't know how mucn help this will be for you considering that fresh fish is much more expensive than whey protein. Eggs aren't a bad idea. They contain all 22 aminos and are very easily digested and they're pretty cheap. Let me know what you end up doing. I'm curious to know.

Ox
09-10-09, 6:13 pm
hey brother, i know you take your nitro with torrent, i have been taking torrent for the last 6 months and have seen amazing results and muscle definition (5.2bf)... well i just got Nitro yesterday and well.. i weigh only 156 right now, im trying to put on more mass, but idk if i should take the Nitro with the full 3 scoops of Torrent, like i usually do.. or if i should only take one or two scoops.. so i was just wondering if my bodyweight has anything to do with it or if i should just take one of the products instead of both... thanks for offering up your wisdom evan, i truly appreciate it.

Definitely use all 3 scoops. However, I woul take your Nitro during the middle of your training. The take the Torrent when you're finished training. Nitro will actually serve to prime your GH, kickstart protein synthesis, prevent catabolism etc and then when you slam your Torrent, BANG! insulin relase and IGF-1 repsonse.

Ox
09-10-09, 6:14 pm
sup evan? anything new in your life?

I decided to take a ballroom dancing course!

Ox
09-10-09, 6:19 pm
Hey whats up OX I have a problem with my dieting. I am only 22 and trying to load on the lbs but I cant get the scale past 170. Is there some trick that I dont know, I have read all about eat big and youll grow, but man I think my metabolism is to fast nothing sticks to me. Maybe I am not eating the right protein/carb meals. Please help. Thanks

I have no clue! It could be a number of things. Soemthing could be off in your diet, training, recovery...could be a lot of shit. The again, even IF everyhting was 100%, you may only progress a certain rate. My good friend Oscar put it like this; he exaplained that the body is like a plant. No matter how much water, sunlight, food etc etc you give it, it may only grow at a certain rate. That's just the way it is. Keep that in mind. Don't try stuffing yourself and forcing shit...that will only hurt you. Think about it like this...would you eat 500 calories a day if you were trying to get ripped? Of course you wouldn't cuz any extreme will only have the opposite effect than what was intended. The same goes for putting on size. To overeat is the same as to undereat! You have to determine what your body NEEDS. That goes for training, diet, recovery etc etc.

Ox
09-10-09, 6:21 pm
hey evan,

im going to be going on an all out bulk in a few weeks and im thinking of stacking Pak, Flex, and Test. I wasnt sure if i should add m stak or pump, and i see that your a big believer in Nitro. Do u think i should leave out pump and m stak and just use nitro on my bulk?

Yes. Nitro, in my opinion, will always be greater and more fundamental than stak or pump. That's like asking if you should drink water or have one serving of Torrent a day. Water is fundamental and the clear choice.

mahscles
09-11-09, 12:11 pm
I decided to take a ballroom dancing course!

i dont want to ask if you are kidding but i also wanna know lol

hardworkE
09-11-09, 3:50 pm
Ox,

Great new food prep videos on MD. To be honest, I need more motivation to eat correctly than to get in the gym and lift hard, so the videos are great.

You look huge in the videos, so my question is about cardio in the off-season. Do you usually do any? I'm about to start up another bulk and I was wondering what your thoughts are just to maintain overall heart health. Would 15-20 minutes 3x Post WO be too much?

Keep up the great work, its awesome to see such a great bodybuilder that is humble and breaks away from the 'mold' of typical bodybuilders.

NaturallyPumpd
09-11-09, 7:18 pm
I have no clue! It could be a number of things. Soemthing could be off in your diet, training, recovery...could be a lot of shit. The again, even IF everyhting was 100%, you may only progress a certain rate. My good friend Oscar put it like this; he exaplained that the body is like a plant. No matter how much water, sunlight, food etc etc you give it, it may only grow at a certain rate. That's just the way it is. Keep that in mind. Don't try stuffing yourself and forcing shit...that will only hurt you. Think about it like this...would you eat 500 calories a day if you were trying to get ripped? Of course you wouldn't cuz any extreme will only have the opposite effect than what was intended. The same goes for putting on size. To overeat is the same as to undereat! You have to determine what your body NEEDS. That goes for training, diet, recovery etc etc.

Thanks for your input bro ill keep at it and see what happens.

Blake2134
09-12-09, 11:31 pm
Yo Evan how did you cook up those yams? And why cant I find Macadamia nut oil. Where would I find this scrumptious oil that u adore. Haha and whenever I'm eating green beans that are still pretty crisp... I say they're Centopani style!

Shamus11B
09-13-09, 1:46 am
I second that I have been looking around everywhere for the macedamian nut oil and can not find it. Is there a certain whole food store you go to find this I really want to try it out. Thanks again for the great advice you offer on here Evan.

barbell
09-14-09, 7:56 am
Post workout, I like to have my nitro and EAA Nitro. In terms of food, I like fish. Flaky white fish digests quickly and assimilates really efficently for me. However, I don't know how mucn help this will be for you considering that fresh fish is much more expensive than whey protein. Eggs aren't a bad idea. They contain all 22 aminos and are very easily digested and they're pretty cheap. Let me know what you end up doing. I'm curious to know.

Ox.
Eggs sound like the better choice.
If/when I do use eggs PWO I'm looking to consume at most 8-9 whole eggs which is about 50g of protein and 40g fat, too much fat in one serving?? (sz6 eggs have 5.9g protein, 4.6g fat per whole egg).

I did some reading on protein sources and came across an article from bb.com regarding biological value of protein sources.INTERESTING. Supposedly eggs and whey are the most biologically valued:
"Because high Biological Value products are easily absorbed by the body, consuming them immediately upon waking (when the body is hungry for protein) and immediately following training is ideal" - quote from the article

Up there with whey and eggs was cows milk. If I can use skim milk then I can cut down to only 5 eggs so I only consume 20g fat PWO. (Ideally I aim for 20g fat per meal, over 6 meals, for a total of 115g fat at bdyweight of 230pds)

I know that I will use eggs in place of whey but I would also ideally like to use milk + eggs PWO. Is it wise to use milk PWO??

Again Ox, I appreciate your advice.
Thanks.

movin'bricks
09-14-09, 12:02 pm
Definitely use all 3 scoops. However, I woul take your Nitro during the middle of your training. The take the Torrent when you're finished training. Nitro will actually serve to prime your GH, kickstart protein synthesis, prevent catabolism etc and then when you slam your Torrent, BANG! insulin relase and IGF-1 repsonse.

thanks evan, badass pic on md too! yea il start taking nitro midtraining, sometimes i will take storm midtraining... so should i drop that, maybe come back to it later? but thanks for the advice.. i cant say enough about TORRENT and im sure im gonna get rad as hell stackin' nitro with it too.. thanks again bro!

Ox
09-15-09, 10:13 pm
i dont want to ask if you are kidding but i also wanna know lol

TRUE STORY BROSKI.

Ox
09-15-09, 10:16 pm
Ox,

Great new food prep videos on MD. To be honest, I need more motivation to eat correctly than to get in the gym and lift hard, so the videos are great.

You look huge in the videos, so my question is about cardio in the off-season. Do you usually do any? I'm about to start up another bulk and I was wondering what your thoughts are just to maintain overall heart health. Would 15-20 minutes 3x Post WO be too much?

Keep up the great work, its awesome to see such a great bodybuilder that is humble and breaks away from the 'mold' of typical bodybuilders.

In the past I NEVER did offseason cardio. This year I am doing some because:

1. I believe it helps with circulation/removal of metabolic waste = recovery
2. It keeps my cardio up so I can train harder
3. It keeps my metabolism up so I can eat more.

I am staying significantly leaner but that isn't really why I do it. I could really care less about trying to be lean year round but it sure is better than being fat!

Ox
09-15-09, 10:17 pm
Yo Evan how did you cook up those yams? And why cant I find Macadamia nut oil. Where would I find this scrumptious oil that u adore. Haha and whenever I'm eating green beans that are still pretty crisp... I say they're Centopani style!

I think I sliced the yams on a mandolin, rolled em in some oil and then broiled em on a sheet pan. If you can't find mac nut oil, just use some olive oil...no biggie.

Ox
09-15-09, 10:18 pm
I second that I have been looking around everywhere for the macedamian nut oil and can not find it. Is there a certain whole food store you go to find this I really want to try it out. Thanks again for the great advice you offer on here Evan.

There was a site that was selling organic cold pressed gallons for $80 but they stopped carrying it. Like I said, it's tasty but I wouldn't go nuts trying to find it. Olive oil is just as good if not better and it's cheaper.

Ox
09-15-09, 10:33 pm
Ox.
Eggs sound like the better choice.
If/when I do use eggs PWO I'm looking to consume at most 8-9 whole eggs which is about 50g of protein and 40g fat, too much fat in one serving?? (sz6 eggs have 5.9g protein, 4.6g fat per whole egg).

I did some reading on protein sources and came across an article from bb.com regarding biological value of protein sources.INTERESTING. Supposedly eggs and whey are the most biologically valued:
"Because high Biological Value products are easily absorbed by the body, consuming them immediately upon waking (when the body is hungry for protein) and immediately following training is ideal" - quote from the article

Up there with whey and eggs was cows milk. If I can use skim milk then I can cut down to only 5 eggs so I only consume 20g fat PWO. (Ideally I aim for 20g fat per meal, over 6 meals, for a total of 115g fat at bdyweight of 230pds)

I know that I will use eggs in place of whey but I would also ideally like to use milk + eggs PWO. Is it wise to use milk PWO??

Again Ox, I appreciate your advice.
Thanks.

Tough call.

Consider this:

You can buy a 5 pounder of Universal Ultra Whey Pro online for $38.99. With 70 servings @ 22g of protein per scoop, that's 56 cents per scoop. For you, trying to get 50g comes out to about $1.11. The national average for a dozen extra large grade A eggs is $2.20. That comes out to about 18 cents per egg. Considering you'd need about 7 eggs to get 49g of protein (7g of protein per egg) that would cost you about $1.26 to get your 50g worth.

Don't get me wrong, I love whole foods especially eggs as I think they offer a ton of nutrition. PWO though, the whey may be the way to go considering you don't have all that extra fat and it is economical. It would definitely be convenient,it's still cheap, and it leaves you the option of having eggs as another meal during the day.

Ox
09-15-09, 10:33 pm
thanks evan, badass pic on md too! yea il start taking nitro midtraining, sometimes i will take storm midtraining... so should i drop that, maybe come back to it later? but thanks for the advice.. i cant say enough about TORRENT and im sure im gonna get rad as hell stackin' nitro with it too.. thanks again bro!

I'd give the storm a rest and come back to it.

Littlefry
09-16-09, 2:58 pm
Hey Ox,

Quick question here. I know you have ran Dave Palumbo's pre-contest cutting diet before and have had great sucess with it. Im about to start bulking and I was wondering if you have any info regarding Dave Palumbo's Bulking diet. Because I've searched online for his bulking diet outline but can only find his cutting diet.

Thanks
Littlefry

movin'bricks
09-16-09, 4:23 pm
I'd give the storm a rest and come back to it.

sounds good brother.. thanks again for all the advice evan

Littlefry
09-16-09, 5:12 pm
Its ok Ox, I found his offseason diet program.

mahscles
09-16-09, 9:32 pm
TRUE STORY BROSKI.

hey i wanna learn to dance myself so sounds cool to me. how's that workin for you?

C.Coronato
09-17-09, 9:40 am
Yo brother, hope all is well. Ill see you next week at the Olympia, should be a good time.

Quick question .. Im currently 8 weeks out, sitting 195, on a Keto diet. Not my first show, but first time experimenting with Keto. What would you say is the best form of Cardio for you personally? Bike, Stepper, ect? Im doing either the Bike or the Stepper 40 mins in the AM 6 days a week, keeping my heart rate at 70%, on both, i have had trouble dialing in my legs in my last few shows, and so this time we started cardio in advance.

violator
09-28-09, 9:16 am
yo Ox!

Since OMEGA is rather expensive to import to south africa, I was wondering if you could help me with the correct dosage of fish oil & CLA i should be taking on a daily basis...

currently im 205lbs 15-20% BF...ive heard various theories, such as 1g of fish oil for every % of BF... or that over 3gs of fish oil or CLA per day isnt absorbed...

Since i value your professional opinion, what are your thoughts?

many thanks, in advance....

peace

Ox
09-29-09, 9:04 pm
Hey Ox,

Quick question here. I know you have ran Dave Palumbo's pre-contest cutting diet before and have had great sucess with it. Im about to start bulking and I was wondering if you have any info regarding Dave Palumbo's Bulking diet. Because I've searched online for his bulking diet outline but can only find his cutting diet.

Thanks
Littlefry

Not sure. I always just added some carbs to his pre-contest diet. I don't know eactly what his offseason diet entails.

Ox
09-29-09, 9:05 pm
hey i wanna learn to dance myself so sounds cool to me. how's that workin for you?

It's getting my glutes shredded.

andrewT
09-29-09, 9:12 pm
Hey Evan

hope all is well, just want to thank you for being patient and polite with all the questions

I was wondering. Why do you recommend sea salt? is it better than normal salt in some way?
Also you know any seasonings that make eggs taste GOOD? lol

take care buddiolala haha

Ox
09-29-09, 9:14 pm
Yo brother, hope all is well. Ill see you next week at the Olympia, should be a good time.

Quick question .. Im currently 8 weeks out, sitting 195, on a Keto diet. Not my first show, but first time experimenting with Keto. What would you say is the best form of Cardio for you personally? Bike, Stepper, ect? Im doing either the Bike or the Stepper 40 mins in the AM 6 days a week, keeping my heart rate at 70%, on both, i have had trouble dialing in my legs in my last few shows, and so this time we started cardio in advance.

Christian...whats up bud. Why the hell didn't you ask me this at the Olympia?! We could have talked shop! Anyways, for cardio like the treadmill on an incline and I like to challenge myself. I aim to keep my heart rate just over 130. The step mill is good too I just don't have one at my house. Intervals on the stepmill is good too. Dialling in your legs could also just be an estrogen issue. I'd also make sure your leg training is INTENSE. Heavy weight is a must but so are some reps. I'd combine heavy weight but also drop sets and super sets and make sure you always do a full range of motion.

Ox
09-29-09, 9:15 pm
Hey Evan

hope all is well, just want to thank you for being patient and polite with all the questions

I was wondering. Why do you recommend sea salt? is it better than normal salt in some way?
Also you know any seasonings that make eggs taste GOOD? lol

take care buddiolala haha

Sea salt just tastes better and it's less processed. It doesn't seem to bloat me as much either. I feel like you can get more flavor and better flavor using less of it than regular salt. The only thing I like on eggs is KETCHUP!

Ox
09-29-09, 9:16 pm
yo Ox!

Since OMEGA is rather expensive to import to south africa, I was wondering if you could help me with the correct dosage of fish oil & CLA i should be taking on a daily basis...

currently im 205lbs 15-20% BF...ive heard various theories, such as 1g of fish oil for every % of BF... or that over 3gs of fish oil or CLA per day isnt absorbed...

Since i value your professional opinion, what are your thoughts?

many thanks, in advance....

peace

I'd shoot for 3g of fish oil and 3g of CLA. I'd also try and get in 2.6g of evening primrose oil.

andrewT
09-29-09, 9:27 pm
Sea salt just tastes better and it's less processed. It doesn't seem to bloat me as much either. I feel like you can get more flavor and better flavor using less of it than regular salt. The only thing I like on eggs is KETCHUP!

Thanks bro!

do you use Mrs. Dash for your other stuff since there is no sodium or are you not that finnicky and spice with whatever?

Fury317
09-30-09, 12:26 pm
Whats up Ox, how you doing man. Just wanted your opinion on something. What are you thoughts on glycemic index and glycemic load? Particularly white potatos vs yams. I know youve said you eat white, and Im experimenting with switching to white because yams are too expensive for my budget, for the amount that I eat. Im close to getting my BS in Human Nutrition so I get stuff like GI and GL thrown in my face all the time, and I cant help but to doubt some of it when you see someone as jacked as you eating white potatos and white rice. So, do you think all of this scientific mumbo jumbo is crap or what? haha

OklahomaMuscle
09-30-09, 1:34 pm
Dialling in your legs could also just be an estrogen issue.

What's up OX, you gave my man Christian a very good answer about cardio and dialing in the wheels for a show. But I gotta ask if you can possibly expand any on this statement? I'm involved in the cutting contest and am struggling to get the separation in my wheels. Thanks big man and a huge congrats on the accomplishments so far.

krazyassmexican
09-30-09, 6:40 pm

not to hijack your thread bro but i would like to add and hope you agree with me, that sea salt has more minerals in there which can be helpful

andrewT
09-30-09, 7:18 pm
not to hijack your thread bro but i would like to add and hope you agree with me, that sea salt has more minerals in there which can be helpful

I have actually heard the opposite hence the reason I asked. But I will defnitely give it a try!

C.Coronato
10-01-09, 9:31 am
Christian...whats up bud. Why the hell didn't you ask me this at the Olympia?! We could have talked shop! Anyways, for cardio like the treadmill on an incline and I like to challenge myself. I aim to keep my heart rate just over 130. The step mill is good too I just don't have one at my house. Intervals on the stepmill is good too. Dialling in your legs could also just be an estrogen issue. I'd also make sure your leg training is INTENSE. Heavy weight is a must but so are some reps. I'd combine heavy weight but also drop sets and super sets and make sure you always do a full range of motion.

Haha, things got hectic, and you were constantly bombarded i know you wanted your rest from everything as well. But i appreciate it, i actually just switched this week to walking on an incline and doing 2 minute intervals going from level 3 to level 11 .. so far so good, and I also always watch my HR. 135 is where im at. I never heard of estrogen being an issue until this weekend actually when Kuclo brought it up. How would i go about that, just getting an anti-estrogen?

mahscles
10-01-09, 5:41 pm
It's getting my glutes shredded.

sweet bro. i heard it does wonders for that. glad to hear its going well, good luck man.

Ox
10-01-09, 11:20 pm
Thanks bro!

do you use Mrs. Dash for your other stuff since there is no sodium or are you not that finnicky and spice with whatever?

I'm not big on seasonings but they're fine to use if you like them. Just avoid anything with MSG and or preservatives.

Ox
10-01-09, 11:21 pm
Whats up Ox, how you doing man. Just wanted your opinion on something. What are you thoughts on glycemic index and glycemic load? Particularly white potatos vs yams. I know youve said you eat white, and Im experimenting with switching to white because yams are too expensive for my budget, for the amount that I eat. Im close to getting my BS in Human Nutrition so I get stuff like GI and GL thrown in my face all the time, and I cant help but to doubt some of it when you see someone as jacked as you eating white potatos and white rice. So, do you think all of this scientific mumbo jumbo is crap or what? haha

I think it matters but to what extent, I don't know. If you were eating carbs by themselves it would be more applicable but how relevant is glycemic index when you are eating carbs with proteins and or fats? I don't know. But I would guess digestion of the carbs is slowed down significantly and GI would become less predictable.

Ox
10-01-09, 11:23 pm
What's up OX, you gave my man Christian a very good answer about cardio and dialing in the wheels for a show. But I gotta ask if you can possibly expand any on this statement? I'm involved in the cutting contest and am struggling to get the separation in my wheels. Thanks big man and a huge congrats on the accomplishments so far.

Speration will be brought out through hard training and will occur over time. A full range of motion and squeezing the muscles you are training will help. If it's a matter of fat and water retention in the lower body, then estrogen can be a cause of that...hence; women typically store more fat in their ass and thighs.

Ox
10-01-09, 11:24 pm

Could be. Don't know if it's a significant amount but it can't hurt.

Ox
10-01-09, 11:26 pm
Haha, things got hectic, and you were constantly bombarded i know you wanted your rest from everything as well. But i appreciate it, i actually just switched this week to walking on an incline and doing 2 minute intervals going from level 3 to level 11 .. so far so good, and I also always watch my HR. 135 is where im at. I never heard of estrogen being an issue until this weekend actually when Kuclo brought it up. How would i go about that, just getting an anti-estrogen?

Estrogen can definitely make you hold more fat and fluid especially in your lower body. If it's a matter of muscle maturity and development that's one thing. But controlling your estrogen will help you harden up your physique, especially below the waiste. Yup...just get an anti-estrogen!

Ox
10-01-09, 11:27 pm
sweet bro. i heard it does wonders for that. glad to hear its going well, good luck man.

You know I'm just fuckin' around right?

TigerAce01
10-01-09, 11:28 pm
Hey Evan, I just wanted to drop a line and tell you how much of an inspiration you are to me, and most likely countless others. You just love this sport, and it's amazing to see someone with so much talent be so down to earth and truly a blue collar man.

Keep your shit going, can't wait to see what the future brings...

-Ace

Aggression
10-02-09, 11:11 am
Yo what's going on Evan. I'm getting ready to do my first show. This weekend, I'll be 4 weeks out. I'm pretty happy with how I look right now. My delts, arms, back, legs, and upper chest are all coming together nicely. The mid/lower chest and abdominal region seem to be a bit behind. Everything is hard and getting dry, but that area seems to be holding a little more water/fat compared to everything else. Any tips on how to kick start that area again? Maybe something that worked for you?

Also, any advice to someone doing his first show, when going into it, doing it, and the rebound?

Aggression
10-02-09, 11:21 am
Forgot to mention that the show I'm doing is the one your guest posing at ... The NJ State and TriState Championships. I look forward to seeing you again buddy.

mahscles
10-02-09, 8:41 pm

yeah u really think i would believe u were ballroom dancing???

mahscles
10-02-09, 8:43 pm
i dont even know how ballroom dancing could be beneficial for bodybuilding lol seems like it would take away time that could be spent cooking, researching, or working out. told my dad that and he believed it haha

Ox
10-04-09, 2:01 pm
Hey Evan, I just wanted to drop a line and tell you how much of an inspiration you are to me, and most likely countless others. You just love this sport, and it's amazing to see someone with so much talent be so down to earth and truly a blue collar man.

Keep your shit going, can't wait to see what the future brings...

-Ace

Thank you! I really appreciate that. A great physique doesn't mean much if you're an ASSHOLE!

Ox
10-04-09, 2:02 pm
Yo what's going on Evan. I'm getting ready to do my first show. This weekend, I'll be 4 weeks out. I'm pretty happy with how I look right now. My delts, arms, back, legs, and upper chest are all coming together nicely. The mid/lower chest and abdominal region seem to be a bit behind. Everything is hard and getting dry, but that area seems to be holding a little more water/fat compared to everything else. Any tips on how to kick start that area again? Maybe something that worked for you?

Also, any advice to someone doing his first show, when going into it, doing it, and the rebound?

Unfortunately, I don't know that there is anything that you can do that will have an effect on just those areas. You just need to get as shredded as possible and those areas may be the last to come in but they WILL come in.

Ox
10-04-09, 2:03 pm
Forgot to mention that the show I'm doing is the one your guest posing at ... The NJ State and TriState Championships. I look forward to seeing you again buddy.

Look forward to seeing you there! All the best in your final weeks of preparation!

Ox
10-04-09, 2:04 pm
yeah u really think i would believe u were ballroom dancing???

You never know! Hahahaha...just makin sure!

Ox
10-04-09, 2:04 pm
i dont even know how ballroom dancing could be beneficial for bodybuilding lol seems like it would take away time that could be spent cooking, researching, or working out. told my dad that and he believed it haha

No doubt! Your dad believed it?! He probably thinks I'm a flake.

Blake2134
10-04-09, 11:12 pm
Yo Evan. Since you're both under animal...I was wondering if you know exactly what happened to Frank and his tricep. If you can't disclose too much info I understand. But I would much appreciate it if you could tell me if he's gunna get surgery and jump back in there...or what he's gunna do. Cause the guy is a monster and one of my major idols. I just want the guy to be alright. Can you fill me in bro?

Aggression
10-05-09, 8:54 am
Unfortunately, I don't know that there is anything that you can do that will have an effect on just those areas. You just need to get as shredded as possible and those areas may be the last to come in but they WILL come in.

Look forward to seeing you there! All the best in your final weeks of preparation!

Thanks bud. I've been told that area might be the last to come in, I just wanted to hear your thoughts. Less than 4 weeks now. I'm feeling pretty good about it. I planned on doing a show on Oct 18, but it was canceled last week. I took it as a blessing in disguise, as I feel I wouldn't have been totally ready for it. An extra 2 weeks of prep never hurt anybody, and in my case, it'll definitely help a great deal. See you soon man.

G Diesel
10-05-09, 9:04 am

Yeah man... Of course I knew you were kidding.

(G feverishly Googles the phone number for the ballroom dancing school to which he signed a one year contract, hoping he can get back his $500 deposit.)

TRUE STORY BROSEPHUS.

Peace, G

Ox
10-05-09, 9:11 am
Yo Evan. Since you're both under animal...I was wondering if you know exactly what happened to Frank and his tricep. If you can't disclose too much info I understand. But I would much appreciate it if you could tell me if he's gunna get surgery and jump back in there...or what he's gunna do. Cause the guy is a monster and one of my major idols. I just want the guy to be alright. Can you fill me in bro?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. I remember his telling me but don't remember the details. He talked about having it operated on to try and improve the appearance. When he has a pump you really can't notice it. That dude's arms are so damn freaky!

Ox
10-05-09, 9:12 am

(G feverishly Googles the phone number for the ballroom dancing school to which he signed a one year contract, hoping he can get back his $500 deposit.)

TRUE STORY BROSEPHUS.

Peace, G

Brosephius! True story brah! Maybe you can get your $500 back and put it toward a course in brotology.

mahscles
10-05-09, 10:58 am
No doubt! Your dad believed it?! He probably thinks I'm a flake.

no he is like "you bodybuilders do weird stuff" i just chuckled to myself. he doesnt understand what we do at all so he would believe me if i said eating snake eyes makes me muscular. my name is joe btw, i already know urs so u really dont have to introduce urself lol

mahscles
10-05-09, 10:59 am

TRUE STORY BROSEPHUS.

Peace, G

o man that sucks. they make u sign a contract for that stuff?

sawwedoff
10-05-09, 9:52 pm
what do u do to really get that TOP of ur bicipe to get more ROUND?

jayanticoli
10-06-09, 1:22 pm
hey just curious how you constantly progress with volume training...i've been doing valume style training with one bodypart per day 5 days a week for about 3 years and i've hit plateaus and points where i'm not getting any stronger or weaker....i've recently started DC training to mix it up a bit and try some new ways to grow but i was just curious how you kept growing and getting stronger ?

C.Coronato
10-06-09, 1:35 pm
Estrogen can definitely make you hold more fat and fluid especially in your lower body. If it's a matter of muscle maturity and development that's one thing. But controlling your estrogen will help you harden up your physique, especially below the waiste. Yup...just get an anti-estrogen!

Awesome thanks bro, ill check into it. I hope i can find one cheap so i can sign up for the next brotology course haha.

G Diesel
10-06-09, 1:47 pm
o man that sucks. they make u sign a contract for that stuff?

Plus proof of citizenship and an STD test... Hey wait a minute, maybe that wasn't a dance class after all.

REAL TALK BROHEIM.

Peace, G

LittleMan55
10-06-09, 2:25 pm
Awesome thanks bro, ill check into it. I hope i can find one cheap so i can sign up for the next brotology course haha.

I don't think the rural part of VA where I am offers brotology... May have to pick that one up at a later day.

Plus proof of citizenship and an STD test... Hey wait a minute, maybe that wasn't a dance class after all.

REAL TALK BROHEIM.

Peace, G

G,

I think you signed up for the pole dancing class that is next door to the ballroom dancing class. Its dancing too... I guess you just need some Brofessional training.

mahscles
10-06-09, 6:17 pm

REAL TALK BROHEIM.

Peace, G

Lol sounds like when you wanna sign up for a membership to GNC

mahscles
10-06-09, 6:20 pm

idk brotology is expensive nowadays... haha

Mr. Dead
10-06-09, 6:47 pm

Plus you have to have your brorequisites out of the way, as well...

mahscles
10-06-09, 7:28 pm
Plus you have to have your brorequisites out of the way, as well...

yeah its near impossible to fit the brofile they are looking for...

bash
10-06-09, 9:04 pm
hey ox, just wanted to say first you are def my fav pro right now, im huge believer on the diet is most important and u seem that way to, thanx for the inspiration. i had a question about eating in the middle of your workout? good or bad? does eating in the middle of your workout make your body almost want to start recovering before you are done with your workout?

umop 3pisdn
10-07-09, 7:17 pm
Hi ox, i don't want to ask a question that has an obvious answer but i truly am stumped and don't know where to go from here. Im 170lbs at 6'0 under 10% bf. I have 6-7 meals a day usually with 2 servings of meat, eggs, rice, veges, salad, oats, nuts, protein shakes.. all that good shit. I dont follow a strict diet but i have a very large appetite and eat every 3 hours.

my question is, for the last couple of months i've been fluctuating between 168-172lbs. i feel like i'm gaining muscle and weight (especially when on creatine) but my weight generally stays the same. I've been aiming to hit 80kg but it seems like I'm not getting anywhere no matter how much I eat or how hard I train. I dont do enough cardio to think I'm gaining muscle and losing fat. my muscles do look like theyre getting bigger aswell. gym buddies ask how much i weigh now and i tell them the same and they are amazed. My mates who weigh more than me eat a lot loss and seem to gain weight fine. it's really disappointing jumping on the scale after weeks of hard eating and heavy training and not seeing my weight any different. where am i going wrong?

Maccabee
10-08-09, 12:48 am
Evan I just saw the Diet Tips Video on MD and it was pretty cool about all you said with the water and fish too.

I have been eating all that shit fish you guys talked about to avoid. I am going to have to change that.

I also wanted to ask you why is it that the eggs in the supermarkets have no blood and yet when ever I buy organic eggs they are full of blood. Does the blood make a difference?

andrewT
10-08-09, 11:31 am
I just watched the vids last night Evan.

I love how your very down to earth, keen on improving and just a straight up guy. I think your someone everyone can relate too and you always give out information that anyone and everyone in this game could benefit from!

whatever you do, I know one day you will win an Olympia, but make sure when you do you stay cool! lol. I know you will but I am just saying! we need bodybuilders with your attitude representing the sport at its highest level.

keep on pushing paesan!

Bootleg
10-08-09, 3:16 pm
sick vids. thanks OX for taking the time for these. Definately a threat in this sport. Love that side lateral machine! i need a gym like that!
I admire your knowledge Ox of nutrition. Makin me want to have swordfish for dinner. lol

BigAnt
10-08-09, 3:30 pm
Great info on the video Evan!

If you can please answer for me....What fish does Oscar have you eat pre-contest and
off season?

Thanks!

Fury317
10-08-09, 4:22 pm
Hey Ox, thanks for those vids man. They were awesome!

I was actually wondering about your thoughts on water last week so Im glad you talked about it. I was thinking about reverse osmosis, but after what you said I think thats out. Ive always been a little weirded out about what can get in the water, and Im not a huge fan of the flouride in there. If you dont mind me asking, how much did that ionizer run you? Or could you point in the direction of a webiste? If you dont want to mention, dont worry about it man, just trying to put the best in my body. Right now Im just stuck with one of those shit Pur water filters, but I guess thats better than nothing.

Big C
10-08-09, 4:32 pm
Hey bro....

I like the new videos you just put out. I pretty much love your approach to diet and training. Sometimes when I lift, I lift hard but feel like I'm just going through the motions somewhat and have to get 8 reps on this, or 10 reps on that. I think I learned to just let loose and kill myself in the gym and bang out whatever reps I can get.

When I can manhandle 315 on military I'll let ya know...lol......that is straight Beast Mode right there. Later Ox!

Aggression
10-08-09, 4:34 pm
niCe videos big man. I've been eating the bulk-bags of Tilapia from a Wholesale club throughout my entire prep. After watching that video, I'm full of guilt! Ah its all good though. I learned some valuable information. Its tough to hit up a fish market for some fresh food when you can't afford it. The bulk bags will have to get me through the last 3 weeks. Once my show is over, I'll definitely be looking into different types of fish. I can eat fish all day, every day if need be. I love that stuff.

What are your thoughts on Flounder? Both for pre-contest and 'whenever'?

danlerno
10-08-09, 9:07 pm
I just watched both of your videos on MD, really some good info and some inspirational stuff. Your whole thing on pH got me thinking and reminded me about a book I read on bill romanowski who also went out and got a machine to make his drinking water more alkaline. I watched MD research video and the Dr. mentioned a supplement Greens+. What are your feelings on "green" supplements and where to you think animal paks falls into the whole acid/base thing? Thanks

dominate77
10-09-09, 12:24 am
like anyone else who saw your video, i'm giving fish a try! haha

i just bought some salmon today from rosouars but i think i'm going to try and find some of the indians that catch it daily.

How do you cook your fish? I'm not really sure how to tell when it's done except people say it falls apart easily..

Ox
10-09-09, 1:34 pm
no he is like "you bodybuilders do weird stuff" i just chuckled to myself. he doesnt understand what we do at all so he would believe me if i said eating snake eyes makes me muscular. my name is joe btw, i already know urs so u really dont have to introduce urself lol

Hahahaha...yup...bodybuilders are definitely a unique bunch! Good to meet you Joe!

Ox
10-09-09, 1:34 pm
what do u do to really get that TOP of ur bicipe to get more ROUND?

I have no idea. Curl first. Ask questions later.

Ox
10-09-09, 1:36 pm
hey just curious how you constantly progress with volume training...i've been doing valume style training with one bodypart per day 5 days a week for about 3 years and i've hit plateaus and points where i'm not getting any stronger or weaker....i've recently started DC training to mix it up a bit and try some new ways to grow but i was just curious how you kept growing and getting stronger ?

I just change things up. Sometimes I do more volume. Sometimes it opt for less sets and greater intensity. everyhting is everchanging.

Ox
10-09-09, 1:36 pm

Hahahahaha

Ox
10-09-09, 1:37 pm

REAL TALK BROHEIM.

Peace, G

Hahahaha...real talk...hahaha

Ox
10-09-09, 1:38 pm

I saw a bumper sticker that said "If you think brotology is expensive, try ignorance"

Ox
10-09-09, 1:39 pm
hey ox, just wanted to say first you are def my fav pro right now, im huge believer on the diet is most important and u seem that way to, thanx for the inspiration. i had a question about eating in the middle of your workout? good or bad? does eating in the middle of your workout make your body almost want to start recovering before you are done with your workout?

BAD! The last thing you want to do is pull all the blood toward your stomach by having a meal. Wait until after you are done training to eat.

Ox
10-09-09, 1:41 pm
Hi ox, i don't want to ask a question that has an obvious answer but i truly am stumped and don't know where to go from here. Im 170lbs at 6'0 under 10% bf. I have 6-7 meals a day usually with 2 servings of meat, eggs, rice, veges, salad, oats, nuts, protein shakes.. all that good shit. I dont follow a strict diet but i have a very large appetite and eat every 3 hours.

my question is, for the last couple of months i've been fluctuating between 168-172lbs. i feel like i'm gaining muscle and weight (especially when on creatine) but my weight generally stays the same. I've been aiming to hit 80kg but it seems like I'm not getting anywhere no matter how much I eat or how hard I train. I dont do enough cardio to think I'm gaining muscle and losing fat. my muscles do look like theyre getting bigger aswell. gym buddies ask how much i weigh now and i tell them the same and they are amazed. My mates who weigh more than me eat a lot loss and seem to gain weight fine. it's really disappointing jumping on the scale after weeks of hard eating and heavy training and not seeing my weight any different. where am i going wrong?

Would my bicep LOOK any bigger to you if I TOLD you it was 25 inches? Don't worry about the numbers. If the way you look is improving then accept that as progress.

Ox
10-09-09, 1:42 pm
Evan I just saw the Diet Tips Video on MD and it was pretty cool about all you said with the water and fish too.

I have been eating all that shit fish you guys talked about to avoid. I am going to have to change that.

I also wanted to ask you why is it that the eggs in the supermarkets have no blood and yet when ever I buy organic eggs they are full of blood. Does the blood make a difference?

I never got an egg that was full of blood! That sounds scary!

Ox
10-09-09, 1:43 pm
I just watched the vids last night Evan.

I love how your very down to earth, keen on improving and just a straight up guy. I think your someone everyone can relate too and you always give out information that anyone and everyone in this game could benefit from!

whatever you do, I know one day you will win an Olympia, but make sure when you do you stay cool! lol. I know you will but I am just saying! we need bodybuilders with your attitude representing the sport at its highest level.

keep on pushing paesan!

THANK YOU!

Ox
10-09-09, 1:44 pm
sick vids. thanks OX for taking the time for these. Definately a threat in this sport. Love that side lateral machine! i need a gym like that!
I admire your knowledge Ox of nutrition. Makin me want to have swordfish for dinner. lol

Glad you liked the vids! Yes, Gold's Gym New Haven is THE best! MMMMM swordfish.

Ox
10-09-09, 1:45 pm
Great info on the video Evan!

If you can please answer for me....What fish does Oscar have you eat pre-contest and
off season?

Thanks!

Thanks Ant! Pre-contest I was eating flounder. I have not spoken to Oscar much since New York but I mix it up. I either have flounder, sole, fluke, or if I have to I go for cod if everything else is out.

Ox
10-09-09, 1:47 pm
Hey Ox, thanks for those vids man. They were awesome!

I was actually wondering about your thoughts on water last week so Im glad you talked about it. I was thinking about reverse osmosis, but after what you said I think thats out. Ive always been a little weirded out about what can get in the water, and Im not a huge fan of the flouride in there. If you dont mind me asking, how much did that ionizer run you? Or could you point in the direction of a webiste? If you dont want to mention, dont worry about it man, just trying to put the best in my body. Right now Im just stuck with one of those shit Pur water filters, but I guess thats better than nothing.

Sounds like you went through the same thing as me! The ionizer I have retails for $2500. There are many other models on the market as well. The website I got mine from was http://tyentusa.com/ .

Ox
10-09-09, 1:48 pm
Hey bro....

I like the new videos you just put out. I pretty much love your approach to diet and training. Sometimes when I lift, I lift hard but feel like I'm just going through the motions somewhat and have to get 8 reps on this, or 10 reps on that. I think I learned to just let loose and kill myself in the gym and bang out whatever reps I can get.

When I can manhandle 315 on military I'll let ya know...lol......that is straight Beast Mode right there. Later Ox!

Big C! What's up you tank?! Just train bro! Wear yourself out! Just go! Peace!

Ox
10-09-09, 1:55 pm
niCe videos big man. I've been eating the bulk-bags of Tilapia from a Wholesale club throughout my entire prep. After watching that video, I'm full of guilt! Ah its all good though. I learned some valuable information. Its tough to hit up a fish market for some fresh food when you can't afford it. The bulk bags will have to get me through the last 3 weeks. Once my show is over, I'll definitely be looking into different types of fish. I can eat fish all day, every day if need be. I love that stuff.

What are your thoughts on Flounder? Both for pre-contest and 'whenever'?

Bulk bags and wholesale clubs....they represent all that is bad in life! Flounder is a great fish.

Ox
10-09-09, 1:58 pm
I just watched both of your videos on MD, really some good info and some inspirational stuff. Your whole thing on pH got me thinking and reminded me about a book I read on bill romanowski who also went out and got a machine to make his drinking water more alkaline. I watched MD research video and the Dr. mentioned a supplement Greens+. What are your feelings on "green" supplements and where to you think animal paks falls into the whole acid/base thing? Thanks

Bill Romanowski was a maniac! I have a lot of respect for his meticulous nature. I don't know about greens supplements but I feel very strongly about green vegetables in general. I think green leafy vegetables such as spinach, collards and other greens are incredibly good for you. Aside from having a lot of vitmains and minerals they are loaded will chlorophyl, they help you eliminate waste, and they buffer your blood. I have no clue where Animal Pak falls into the acid/base thing. The point is not to only consume alkaline foods/substances etc but to have balance in your diet so your body does not have to work so hard to balance things out.

Ox
10-09-09, 1:59 pm
like anyone else who saw your video, i'm giving fish a try! haha

i just bought some salmon today from rosouars but i think i'm going to try and find some of the indians that catch it daily.

How do you cook your fish? I'm not really sure how to tell when it's done except people say it falls apart easily..

I like my fish broiled or poached. It's done when it flakes apart.

Fury317
10-09-09, 9:49 pm
Sounds like you went through the same thing as me! The ionizer I have retails for $2500. There are many other models on the market as well. The website I got mine from was http://tyentusa.com/ .

Yeah its funny I have a similar mentality to you when it comes to what goes into my body. Im actually really critical about it. Thats why I look up you as a bodybuilder so much, you have so much respect for your body, and such a welath of knowledge about staying HEALTHY while getting big. See, like you, I WANT the best but being a college student sometimes I cant AFFORD the best haha. I figured the ionizer would be somewhere around that. Thanks for the further info Evan, I appreciate it. I think I know what I'll be saving for, those other guys can buy their home theater systems, Ill take my water ionizer thank you very much haha.

mahscles
10-10-09, 2:04 pm
I saw a bumper sticker that said "If you think brotology is expensive, try ignorance"

thats interesting.

mahscles
10-10-09, 2:05 pm
Hahahaha...yup...bodybuilders are definitely a unique bunch! Good to meet you Joe!

likewise bro. hoping to be able to meet you in person at the arnold

Ox
10-12-09, 5:13 pm
Yeah its funny I have a similar mentality to you when it comes to what goes into my body. Im actually really critical about it. Thats why I look up you as a bodybuilder so much, you have so much respect for your body, and such a welath of knowledge about staying HEALTHY while getting big. See, like you, I WANT the best but being a college student sometimes I cant AFFORD the best haha. I figured the ionizer would be somewhere around that. Thanks for the further info Evan, I appreciate it. I think I know what I'll be saving for, those other guys can buy their home theater systems, Ill take my water ionizer thank you very much haha.

Good for you bro. As bodybuilders, we should always be asking ourselves what we can do to obtain better results. As soon, as you stop doing that, you're finished. As for the water thing, I'm sure tap water is fine. I simply meant to encourage people to think about the things they do and ask themselves if what they are doing is BEST. Will a water ionizer make you a champion bodybuilder? Hell no! COULD it be a better alternative to tap and bottled water? I think it MAY be. Do I feel everyone should plunk down serious coin for one? No more than I think everyone should spend money on all organic foods. If you have the money, then by all means, I think it can only help. Should it break the bank? No.

Pizzalamp
10-12-09, 8:39 pm
hello evan
i enjoyed your fish and water video a lot

which made me think of 2 questions for you:

my uncle is a fisherman and he recently gave me a few pounds of striped bass he caught here in ct
whats your opinion on that type of fish?

What s your water machine made of? is it steel? or metal? or plastic?

thanks

C-Lo76
10-13-09, 12:16 am
Yo bro I just had a quick question regarding supplements. What would you say is the more anabolic and essential to have in your repertoire of supplementation; Pak or Nitro? Budget's smooshed these days and I would just like to be able to treat myself to at least one of Animal's products to aid in my journey of strength training. Your opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks Ox.

Ox
10-13-09, 8:23 am
hello evan
i enjoyed your fish and water video a lot

which made me think of 2 questions for you:

my uncle is a fisherman and he recently gave me a few pounds of striped bass he caught here in ct
whats your opinion on that type of fish?

What s your water machine made of? is it steel? or metal? or plastic?

thanks

Hey buddy. Glad you enjoyed the vid. Striped bass is delicious. The nutrition profile is great, texture is good. It CAN be a really large fish and, from what I understand, mercury becomes more of a concern as the size of the fish increases. Is it cool to eat? No doubt. I just wouldn't eat it for multiple meals a day every day.

The water unit is metal inside but the outer covering is plastic.

Ox
10-13-09, 8:30 am
Yo bro I just had a quick question regarding supplements. What would you say is the more anabolic and essential to have in your repertoire of supplementation; Pak or Nitro? Budget's smooshed these days and I would just like to be able to treat myself to at least one of Animal's products to aid in my journey of strength training. Your opinion is highly appreciated. Thanks Ox.

That's tough to answer. That's like saying "I want to make my car go faster? Should I put some gas in it or invest in a supercharger". The supercharger is gonna give it a lot of added horsepower but you NEED the gas to make it run period. In this case I'd say Animal Pak is like gasoline and Nitro is like a supercharger. While Nitro is AWESOME and one of my favorite products out there, Animal Pak is fundamental. That may not be the mostr perfect analogy but you get what I'm sayin. First things first.

B.C.
10-13-09, 8:36 am
Hey Ox, here's my question...

Do you ever read (or hear for that matter) a question, and wonder why the person asked you that? What's the wierdest question you've ever been asked? I only ask because when you're honest and approachable, as you seem to be, people can ask some off the wall shit...I know from experience.

Ozzy27
10-13-09, 3:54 pm
as everyone said, the video was good and very informative, makes me want to consume more fish daily! ahahah
question: do you eat fish in your post workout meal? if yes, wich fish, in your opinion, is more suitable for a post wo meal?
thanks evan

keep it up, hope to see you at the Arnold

C-Lo76
10-13-09, 4:52 pm
That's tough to answer. That's like saying "I want to make my car go faster? Should I put some gas in it or invest in a supercharger". The supercharger is gonna give it a lot of added horsepower but you NEED the gas to make it run period. In this case I'd say Animal Pak is like gasoline and Nitro is like a supercharger. While Nitro is AWESOME and one of my favorite products out there, Animal Pak is fundamental. That may not be the mostr perfect analogy but you get what I'm sayin. First things first.

Thanks Ox. I appreciate it. I'll stick with the Pak for now and when I get some extra cash flow I'll add the nitro in PWO.

NickSP
10-14-09, 11:54 pm
Hey Evan,
Hope things are going good.
Kind of an odd question, but what do you think of redundancy of movements, like doing both wide grip pull ups and pulldowns in the same workout, etc.? like I always do pull ups, and I don't really feel it when I use an underhand or close grip on pulldowns

flamey40
10-15-09, 8:50 pm
hey ox,

thanks for all your insight and everything you do for the animal fans, i appreciate it a lot. :D

my question for ya,

in terms of your meals... is it okay to have:

2 meals in which your protein source is eggs
2 meals in which your protein source is chicken and / or fish
2 meals in which your protein source is a protein shake ???

i'm not sure if this is enough 'diversity' in terms of protein sources or if i'm hitting enough amino groups. you think i should include a different source of protein meal by meal or is eating eggs twice and having protein shakes twice a day okay?

this question is in reference to a cutting cycle, NOT when i'm on a bulk.

Thanks ox

Ox
10-15-09, 10:02 pm
Hey Ox, here's my question...

Do you ever read (or hear for that matter) a question, and wonder why the person asked you that? What's the wierdest question you've ever been asked? I only ask because when you're honest and approachable, as you seem to be, people can ask some off the wall shit...I know from experience.

Hahahaha...probably the BEST one was when a guy emailed me and asked if I would come down to DC to "train him". He said that he needed a superheavyweight bodybuilder between the age of 23 and 26 to come train him for a weekend so that he himself could one day become a superheavyweight bodybuilder. The fucking email was like an essay and then went on to say that after we trained, we could go to a water park together and that I should bring my trunks with me and we could bring our coolers and eat chicken breasts together. He explained that every place we went would be very casual and that I should feel free to were a tank and shorts blah blah blah. Dude, the email went on and on and on. I'm typically pretty nice about bullshit like this but I wasn't really in the mood for it. I responded and told the guy I was not gay and was not interested. He got PISSED! He went on to tell me how offended he was and how he never said anything about being gay and how I'm a homophobe etc etc. I was like dude, you want me to come to DC to go to a fucking water park with you, you're telling me how you want me to dress, and you need a young male bodybuilder to train you?! Yeah, I'm the asshole. And don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit about anyone being gay; that's their own business. But don't try and pretend it's one thing when it's really another. That's fucked up. It was funny shit because everytime I responded he would say a bunch of shit and then be like "...and this is my last email to you." Then I wiuld respond he would keep writing back. It was pretty classic. Hahahahaha...a fucking water park of all things! I couldn't make this shit up if I wanted to.

Ox
10-15-09, 10:05 pm
as everyone said, the video was good and very informative, makes me want to consume more fish daily! ahahah
question: do you eat fish in your post workout meal? if yes, wich fish, in your opinion, is more suitable for a post wo meal?
thanks evan

keep it up, hope to see you at the Arnold

Yeah I usually do. I go for a flaky low fat fish like flounder, fluke or sole.

Ox
10-15-09, 10:05 pm
Thanks Ox. I appreciate it. I'll stick with the Pak for now and when I get some extra cash flow I'll add the nitro in PWO.

No doubt bro. Peace.

Ox
10-15-09, 10:07 pm
Hey Evan,
Hope things are going good.
Kind of an odd question, but what do you think of redundancy of movements, like doing both wide grip pull ups and pulldowns in the same workout, etc.? like I always do pull ups, and I don't really feel it when I use an underhand or close grip on pulldowns

What's goin on Nick? I think there are no rules and if you think something is effective then do it. I may do flat dumbell presses and then go do flat barbell. It's similar but still different. If you like pull ups but don't feel the pulldowns scrap em. Or you could try doing them before the pullups or in place of them for a change and see if you feel them more. It's whatever works man. Go with it.

Ox
10-15-09, 10:09 pm
hey ox,

thanks for all your insight and everything you do for the animal fans, i appreciate it a lot. :D

my question for ya,

in terms of your meals... is it okay to have:

2 meals in which your protein source is eggs
2 meals in which your protein source is chicken and / or fish
2 meals in which your protein source is a protein shake ???

i'm not sure if this is enough 'diversity' in terms of protein sources or if i'm hitting enough amino groups. you think i should include a different source of protein meal by meal or is eating eggs twice and having protein shakes twice a day okay?

this question is in reference to a cutting cycle, NOT when i'm on a bulk.

Thanks ox

So long as you like it, you're digesting all of it well, and it serves your caloric and macro needs then that's all that matters.

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
10-15-09, 10:59 pm
Hahahaha...probably the BEST one was when a guy emailed me and asked if I would come down to DC to "train him". He said that he needed a superheavyweight bodybuilder between the age of 23 and 26 to come train him for a weekend so that he himself could one day become a superheavyweight bodybuilder. The fucking email was like an essay and then went on to say that after we trained, we could go to a water park together and that I should bring my trunks with me and we could bring our coolers and eat chicken breasts together. He explained that every place we went would be very casual and that I should feel free to were a tank and shorts blah blah blah. Dude, the email went on and on and on. I'm typically pretty nice about bullshit like this but I wasn't really in the mood for it. I responded and told the guy I was not gay and was not interested. He got PISSED! He went on to tell me how offended he was and how he never said anything about being gay and how I'm a homophobe etc etc. I was like dude, you want me to come to DC to go to a fucking water park with you, you're telling me how you want me to dress, and you need a young male bodybuilder to train you?! Yeah, I'm the asshole. And don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit about anyone being gay; that's their own business. But don't try and pretend it's one thing when it's really another. That's fucked up. It was funny shit because everytime I responded he would say a bunch of shit and then be like "...and this is my last email to you." Then I wiuld respond he would keep writing back. It was pretty classic. Hahahahaha...a fucking water park of all things! I couldn't make this shit up if I wanted to.

Classic.

Fury317
10-16-09, 1:26 pm

I remember that from like 15 pages back. Fucking funniest story ever. There are some weird/crazy dudes out there.

Reacher34
10-16-09, 9:10 pm
Hey Ox, I'm gonna be at the Arnold this year. Maybe after the expo we could go to Red Lobster and you could give me some advice on how to become a superhuge bodybuilder. No biggie though, just wear some nice pants and a v-neck with tight sleeves. If you put some gel in your hair I'll splurge and buy you an extra lobster and some cheddar biscuits.

Fuckin weird.

Seriously though, I watched the video about your offseason diet tips on MD. I really took home the point you made about fresh fish eating what's naturally available to them in the environment versus chickens that were farm/pen raised and fed shit. I never thought about that before. It makes a lot of sense and I'm now trying to add more fresh fish in my diet. Thanks.

shortstack
10-20-09, 1:50 pm
Hey Evan
I just got done watching a couple of your videos on MD and am really glad there are guys like you out there questioning things and researching what really is the best options for food, water, sups, whatever. That water ionizer info was pretty interesting and something I'm going to have to look into.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for diging into stuff that really needs to be looked at but I myself would never get that far into.

Also your buddy PJ is really looking great. Hope he does well at his next show.

Shortstack

TOA
10-20-09, 3:46 pm
OX, hows it goin! i just have a quick question. Over the summer I was workin and what not and could afford food to maintain a solid diet. But now im back at University and funds are limited so I was wondering what the best thing would be for me to buy?! Ive been slammin alot of tuna but it gets boring after a while. Any pointers?

Thanks Brosif

10-21-09, 1:21 am
Whats up Evan? I just watched a few of your vids on MD. You are extremely knowledgable. In all honesty, you should write a book. Whether it be on nutrition and health, or a bodybuilding/fitness encyclopedia, get started now. By the time you finish, you will probably have a Mr. O under your belt which would look bangin on the cover. Anyways, I appreciate you sharing all of your knowledge in your vids and on the FORVM. Look forward to meeting you at the Arnold.

B.C.
10-21-09, 2:04 am

Wow, what a nutjob.

Feel The Power
10-21-09, 10:36 am
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bran88
10-21-09, 10:42 am

Real good analogy.

Beast4Life
10-21-09, 11:41 am
Hey Evan, I saw some back training vids of you on MD recently and was wondering if you always stick with 405 on deads for higher reps(10-12) as opposed to using more weight? I think 405lbs should be enough for anyone to grow on anyway... I mean you use that much, Jay does, Dennis Wolf does, Frank McGrath does... what's your opinion?

Ox
10-22-09, 5:49 pm
Hey Ox, I'm gonna be at the Arnold this year. Maybe after the expo we could go to Red Lobster and you could give me some advice on how to become a superhuge bodybuilder. No biggie though, just wear some nice pants and a v-neck with tight sleeves. If you put some gel in your hair I'll splurge and buy you an extra lobster and some cheddar biscuits.

Fuckin weird.

Seriously though, I watched the video about your offseason diet tips on MD. I really took home the point you made about fresh fish eating what's naturally available to them in the environment versus chickens that were farm/pen raised and fed shit. I never thought about that before. It makes a lot of sense and I'm now trying to add more fresh fish in my diet. Thanks.

HAHAHAHA...Me + Sweater Vest + Red Lobster = Awesomeness. Have fun with the fish! Glad you liked the vid! Peace.

Ox
10-22-09, 5:50 pm
Hey Evan
I just got done watching a couple of your videos on MD and am really glad there are guys like you out there questioning things and researching what really is the best options for food, water, sups, whatever. That water ionizer info was pretty interesting and something I'm going to have to look into.

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for diging into stuff that really needs to be looked at but I myself would never get that far into.

Also your buddy PJ is really looking great. Hope he does well at his next show.

Shortstack

Thank you! I appreciate that. Never stop asking yourself what you can do better. I'll tell PJ what you said.

Ox
10-22-09, 5:52 pm
OX, hows it goin! i just have a quick question. Over the summer I was workin and what not and could afford food to maintain a solid diet. But now im back at University and funds are limited so I was wondering what the best thing would be for me to buy?! Ive been slammin alot of tuna but it gets boring after a while. Any pointers?

Thanks Brosif

Brosephapotomus-

Check the circulars and snag chicken when it's on sale. Eggs are cheap. Cottage cheese is cheap. Tuna is cheap. And a good ol jug of econo whey is a pretty good bang for the buck.

Ox
10-22-09, 5:58 pm
Whats up Evan? I just watched a few of your vids on MD. You are extremely knowledgable. In all honesty, you should write a book. Whether it be on nutrition and health, or a bodybuilding/fitness encyclopedia, get started now. By the time you finish, you will probably have a Mr. O under your belt which would look bangin on the cover. Anyways, I appreciate you sharing all of your knowledge in your vids and on the FORVM. Look forward to meeting you at the Arnold.

You think? A book? It would have to be about something crazy. There would have to be scandal and treasure maps and mullets and Z-28s. Now that's literature! Who knows, maybe one day if I have enough interesting shit to write about and a POINT to all of it, a book could be cool. Either way, it makes me glad to know you'd buy it! We'll see. Until then, the forvm will have to do! See you at the Arnold! Peace.

Ox
10-22-09, 5:59 pm
Wow, what a nutjob.

Yeah. Fuck him. Weirdo. Take YOURSELF to a water park if you wanna go so damn bad. What if I showed up and it was just him, a garden hose and a sprinkler? Fuck.

Ox
10-22-09, 6:02 pm
Hey Evan, I saw some back training vids of you on MD recently and was wondering if you always stick with 405 on deads for higher reps(10-12) as opposed to using more weight? I think 405lbs should be enough for anyone to grow on anyway... I mean you use that much, Jay does, Dennis Wolf does, Frank McGrath does... what's your opinion?

I go up to 495 but haven't gone above that. I'll get 405 for 20+ and then shoot for 12+ with 495. But the numbers are not what matters. It's like the saying, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." It's not what you do but more importantly, how you do it!

andrewT
10-22-09, 6:47 pm
You think? A book? It would have to be about something crazy. There would have to be scandal and treasure maps and mullets and Z-28s. Now that's literature! Who knows, maybe one day if I have enough interesting shit to write about and a POINT to all of it, a book could be cool. Either way, it makes me glad to know you'd buy it! We'll see. Until then, the forvm will have to do! See you at the Arnold! Peace.

Z-28's baby!

IronWilson
10-22-09, 6:51 pm
Yeah. Fuck him. Weirdo. Take YOURSELF to a water park if you wanna go so damn bad. What if I showed up and it was just him, a garden hose and a sprinkler? Fuck.

I thought it was pretty weird when a guy at your thread at md.com asked you how much debt you had after college or something..... It made me chuckle a bit...HAHA

Sometimes I feel so bad for pro bodybuilders. You deal with creepy people like a celebrity, but don't have the plush lifestyle they do. And any little word you say can be misconstrued.

Maccabee
10-22-09, 10:51 pm
Hey Evan,

I need advice on fish oil. I want to order it but they have so many different kinds. The company I want to get it from has Omega 3 and then they have Omega 3 6 and 9 all in one. Which one is best to get? I dont know what the 3, 6, and 9 stand for. Thanks for the help.

DrewskiPHX
10-26-09, 12:20 am
hey ox,

after how many weeks should you stop ketosis, and for what reason? could I continue you it indefinitely hypothetically?

Ozzy27
10-26-09, 3:42 pm
Hi Evan
Just saw these pictures:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119891751

I got one word: DAMN!
Off season is going great, gonna be a great 2010 for you

I got one question:
when you prepare for a competition, do you pay a lot of attention at the other challenger,weaknesses and details, or you come in saying: "ok, my body is a top notch, I only have to improve my standard and I'm untouchable"?

Thanks, I have a lot of respect for you and what you do for this sport

Keep it uo man

mahscles
10-26-09, 3:46 pm
hey evan its joe again. finally got a chance to watch your vids on MD. good stuff bro. the guy at the fish market really digs you. i'm sure you prolly make half his profits haha

Ox
10-27-09, 3:14 pm
Z-28's baby!

And t-tops.

Ox
10-27-09, 3:17 pm
I thought it was pretty weird when a guy at your thread at md.com asked you how much debt you had after college or something..... It made me chuckle a bit...HAHA

Sometimes I feel so bad for pro bodybuilders. You deal with creepy people like a celebrity, but don't have the plush lifestyle they do. And any little word you say can be misconstrued.

Fucking weird. It kills me when people bitch about pro-bodybuilidng not being accessible enough to fans. Don't get me wrong, some guys really are assholes. But on the other hand, go write or a pro baseball player or pro anything for that matter an email and see if he gets back to you. Better yet, just hit em up on all the forums they're on. Oh wait, I forgot, you can't get anywhere fucking near them. But none of them are dipshits for it.

Ox
10-27-09, 3:18 pm
Hey Evan,

I need advice on fish oil. I want to order it but they have so many different kinds. The company I want to get it from has Omega 3 and then they have Omega 3 6 and 9 all in one. Which one is best to get? I dont know what the 3, 6, and 9 stand for. Thanks for the help.

Honestly bro, and I' not saying this because I'm an Animal guy, order Animal Omega and save yourself the headache. It's got all you want as a bodybuilder.

Ox
10-27-09, 3:21 pm
hey ox,

after how many weeks should you stop ketosis, and for what reason? could I continue you it indefinitely hypothetically?

I have no idea. I don't know that there is any rule of thumb to go by. On the other hand, I think to do it forever would not be good. You run the risk of ketogenic acidosis, kidney problems, lowering your metabolism, and becoming generally intolerable to carbohydrates. Personally, I would do it for no more than 3 months at a time and take minimum 2 months off before doing it again.

Ox
10-27-09, 3:25 pm
Hi Evan
Just saw these pictures:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119891751

I got one word: DAMN!
Off season is going great, gonna be a great 2010 for you

I got one question:
when you prepare for a competition, do you pay a lot of attention at the other challenger,weaknesses and details, or you come in saying: "ok, my body is a top notch, I only have to improve my standard and I'm untouchable"?

Thanks, I have a lot of respect for you and what you do for this sport

Keep it uo man

Thanks. When getting ready for a show, the only person I worry about is me. I've always felt that, if I'm at 100%, the rest will take care of itself. I can't change how anyone looks except for myself.

LittleMan55
10-27-09, 3:25 pm

Evan you have all of the makings of the next great American Novel. Get on this ASAP!!! Or just stick to moving heavy shit, eating like a damn man, and being huge. Both seem like win-wins from my viewpoint.

Loving the recent MD vids!

Keep kicking ass and see you in Columbus.

fenix237
10-27-09, 3:43 pm
what's up Evan? just want you to know that my training has been going pretty well- i put to good use all the great info i've read in the "Stable". i'll say this much- you have a lot of patience to deal with some of us- LOL!!

i wanted to hear your what your thoughts are regarding carbs- i know you suggest eating your macros 1/3 each of C/P/F (when your not cutting). i'm trying to eat moderate carbs (eg. 150/day), would you suggest eating them:

1. for the first 3 meals of the day
2. breakfast, Pre, PWO
3. divided even more or less at all meals

thnx Ox! i appreciate your insight!!

andrewT
10-27-09, 4:46 pm
And t-tops.

Oh boy

you really are an 80's italian boy! those trends will never die bro!

I am diehard chevy guy!

10-29-09, 1:20 pm
Whats up Evan? Question for ya. Whats the temp and cook time on the sweet potato slices/chips from your MD Vid? Also those would be cool to eat during a contest prep right? Since theres nothin on'em but EVOO or macadamia nut oil which are both liquid at room temp, right?

Ox
10-30-09, 4:40 pm
Evan you have all of the makings of the next great American Novel. Get on this ASAP!!! Or just stick to moving heavy shit, eating like a damn man, and being huge. Both seem like win-wins from my viewpoint.

Loving the recent MD vids!

Keep kicking ass and see you in Columbus.

Hahahaha...I'll stick to eating and picking up heavy shit for now. when that gets old, maybe I can change hats! Glad you like the vids. See you in Ohio!

Ox
10-30-09, 4:42 pm
what's up Evan? just want you to know that my training has been going pretty well- i put to good use all the great info i've read in the "Stable". i'll say this much- you have a lot of patience to deal with some of us- LOL!!

i wanted to hear your what your thoughts are regarding carbs- i know you suggest eating your macros 1/3 each of C/P/F (when your not cutting). i'm trying to eat moderate carbs (eg. 150/day), would you suggest eating them:

1. for the first 3 meals of the day
2. breakfast, Pre, PWO
3. divided even more or less at all meals

thnx Ox! i appreciate your insight!!

Glad to hear your training has been going well. As for carb intake, I'd take them in when you feel you need them most and in the amount you need them. When you feel like you don't need em, don't eat em.

Ox
10-30-09, 4:42 pm
Oh boy

you really are an 80's italian boy! those trends will never die bro!

I am diehard chevy guy!

Hahahahaha

Ox
10-30-09, 4:43 pm
Whats up Evan? Question for ya. Whats the temp and cook time on the sweet potato slices/chips from your MD Vid? Also those would be cool to eat during a contest prep right? Since theres nothin on'em but EVOO or macadamia nut oil which are both liquid at room temp, right?

I cooked em at 400 until they browned. I, personally, wouldn't eat em getting ready for a show but it all depends on how you diet and what your needs are.

10-30-09, 8:43 pm
I cooked em at 400 until they browned. I, personally, wouldn't eat em getting ready for a show but it all depends on how you diet and what your needs are.

Yeah. I talked to Rage and they are a no go in my prep. Oh well, atleast they will make the offseason more interesting when the time comes. Thanks Evan.

Nickeas
11-01-09, 9:19 pm
Hey Evan. My name is Mike. I'm currently stationed in NC. I work with your buddy Matt Wargo. We use to work together in the Scout/Sniper Platoon. I've been lifting and bodybuilding now pretty seriously for 6 years or so.. But being in the military has slowed my progress drastically. I would like to thank you for giving everyone the opportunity to ask questions without you charging up the ass like alot of these bodybuilders do.

Question 1 - What kind of training did you do in your early years (Senior Year of HS into college..)

Question 2 - What was your diet like in your early years that helped you get to the professional level of size?

Question 3 - Did you ever have a problem with Acne? Is there a diet solution or a certain type of bodywash/soap you recommend?

Any information you can give me in regards to those questions is appreciated bro. You are the man dude! Kill..

Lightnin'
11-02-09, 4:04 pm
Ox,

I have a question for you regarding fruits and veggies. What is your personal consumption? How much and how often? Pre contest and/or off season.

Do you make up for any lack of with supplementation other than Animal pak, and Omega?

Thanks buddy,
Lightnin'

barbell
11-03-09, 2:24 am
Ox.
I'm familiar with the 'bodybuilders' choice of veggies (at least I think I am haha)..brocolli, spinach, green beans, asparagus, swt potato, potato.....But what about other varieties??

Now I myself am not a true bodybuilder, but rather Ive just adopted the eating habits and training mentality of one. My question is just one of dietary interest.

Is there a reason why most do not consume varieties of veggies other than what I have already stated?? Do you or other BBers purposely avoid carrots, tomatos, onions, garlic etc.

sawwedoff
11-05-09, 12:44 pm
Hey i was going to start a new program, wanting to add size, while cutting sum too. im lineing up my diet, to keto, again. and im going to busy for the next two months, so all i got time for is 30-40mins work outs tops(7days a week)... supersets? gaint sets, how much cardio? im going low carb, very low. keep the fat off. give me sum ideas!!!

Aggression
11-05-09, 2:46 pm
Yo Evan. Nice to see you at the TriState Show. I just wanted to throw out a 'Thank you' for answering a few questions I had while I prepped for that show. It was a great first experience for me and I plan on doing many more shows. Now I gots to get to growing!

Ox
11-08-09, 10:53 pm
Yeah. I talked to Rage and they are a no go in my prep. Oh well, atleast they will make the offseason more interesting when the time comes. Thanks Evan.

YeahI figured they'd be best if saved for offseason! Good luck with the prep!

Ox
11-08-09, 10:59 pm
Hey Evan. My name is Mike. I'm currently stationed in NC. I work with your buddy Matt Wargo. We use to work together in the Scout/Sniper Platoon. I've been lifting and bodybuilding now pretty seriously for 6 years or so.. But being in the military has slowed my progress drastically. I would like to thank you for giving everyone the opportunity to ask questions without you charging up the ass like alot of these bodybuilders do.

Question 1 - What kind of training did you do in your early years (Senior Year of HS into college..)

Question 2 - What was your diet like in your early years that helped you get to the professional level of size?

Question 3 - Did you ever have a problem with Acne? Is there a diet solution or a certain type of bodywash/soap you recommend?

Any information you can give me in regards to those questions is appreciated bro. You are the man dude! Kill..

Hahaaaa! You know WARGO?! That's my buddy! Small world! Make sure you tell him I said what's up when you talk to him. To answer your questions:

1. I just did a lot of basic, heavy lifting. I did mainly straight sets with long rests between sets and I just tried to lift as much weight as I could!

2. My diet was not very structured. I just tried to eat as much as possible as often as possible. I ate a lot of eggs, cottage cheese, meat, ground beef, chicken, bread, oatmeal, bananas, milk, tuna...shit like that.

3. I waa fortunate to have never had skin problems. Believe it or not, you may want to try a liver cleansing supp. Many believe that bad skin is an indication of your body's inability to eiliminate toxins etc. You either excrete things through your urine or feces and if either is not working properly, you will push them out through your skin. It's worth a shot. I'd use a good liver supplement like milk thistle and I'd be sure to add a fiber product and plenty of water to your diet. Let me know if any of this helps.

Best of luck and know that we all appreciate the service you are doing for our country. Peace.

Ox
11-08-09, 11:01 pm
Ox,

I have a question for you regarding fruits and veggies. What is your personal consumption? How much and how often? Pre contest and/or off season.

Do you make up for any lack of with supplementation other than Animal pak, and Omega?

Thanks buddy,
Lightnin'

I try to comsume a variety of veggies. I also have an apple every morning. I have at least a cup of veggies with each meal. I also use a greens supp and concentrated reds supp. I use Animal Pak to cover all my vitamin and minerals and of course Omega to make sure I get the EFAs I need. Even with a solid diet I feel it is necessary to tak these two products.

Ox
11-08-09, 11:03 pm
Ox.
I'm familiar with the 'bodybuilders' choice of veggies (at least I think I am haha)..brocolli, spinach, green beans, asparagus, swt potato, potato.....But what about other varieties??

Now I myself am not a true bodybuilder, but rather Ive just adopted the eating habits and training mentality of one. My question is just one of dietary interest.

Is there a reason why most do not consume varieties of veggies other than what I have already stated?? Do you or other BBers purposely avoid carrots, tomatos, onions, garlic etc.

I eat any and all veggies. They're good for you. Some guys may stick to certain ones pre-contest depending on what which dietary approach they take but I think veggies are essential.

Ox
11-08-09, 11:04 pm
Hey i was going to start a new program, wanting to add size, while cutting sum too. im lineing up my diet, to keto, again. and im going to busy for the next two months, so all i got time for is 30-40mins work outs tops(7days a week)... supersets? gaint sets, how much cardio? im going low carb, very low. keep the fat off. give me sum ideas!!!

Bro, I can't make a up a trianign routine for you. YOU have to figure that out. Seeing as time is limited, INTENSITY is going to be a must for you. HOW you accomplish that is up to you.

Ox
11-08-09, 11:07 pm
Yo Evan. Nice to see you at the TriState Show. I just wanted to throw out a 'Thank you' for answering a few questions I had while I prepped for that show. It was a great first experience for me and I plan on doing many more shows. Now I gots to get to growing!

C'mon man...we're men and we do what we love. Because of that, we don't have to thank each other. Just do what you do! I'm glad to hear it was a good experience. No matter what level you are at, the best part of bodybuilding is going back to the drawing board, developing a plan, and executing it. The day we stop wanting to improve is the day we stop being bodybuilders. Do it up.

McDonalds
11-09-09, 7:31 am
Hi Evan, i have a question, how do you distribute rest days in advantage for lagging bodyparts? It took me a while to realize that rest was the reason why my delts didnt grow and my legs went out of proportions, i have tried not to train delts at all, but that was even worse. My split is like this:

Day 1 - Arms
Day 2 - Legs
Day 3 - Off
Day 4 - Chest
Day 5 - Back and traps
Day 6 - Off
Day 7 - Delts
Day 8 - Off

Someone reccomended doing front and middle delts after chest and not have a shoulder workout, what do you think?

Your clips at MD are very beneficial! Really interesting to hear what you had to say about water, i love hearing stuff like that, any thoughts on air?

Nickeas
11-09-09, 6:24 pm
Hahaaaa! You know WARGO?! That's my buddy! Small world! Make sure you tell him I said what's up when you talk to him. To answer your questions:

1. I just did a lot of basic, heavy lifting. I did mainly straight sets with long rests between sets and I just tried to lift as much weight as I could!

2. My diet was not very structured. I just tried to eat as much as possible as often as possible. I ate a lot of eggs, cottage cheese, meat, ground beef, chicken, bread, oatmeal, bananas, milk, tuna...shit like that.

3. I waa fortunate to have never had skin problems. Believe it or not, you may want to try a liver cleansing supp. Many believe that bad skin is an indication of your body's inability to eiliminate toxins etc. You either excrete things through your urine or feces and if either is not working properly, you will push them out through your skin. It's worth a shot. I'd use a good liver supplement like milk thistle and I'd be sure to add a fiber product and plenty of water to your diet. Let me know if any of this helps.

Best of luck and know that we all appreciate the service you are doing for our country. Peace.

Hey, thanks alot Evan. Wargo says whats up.. Hope to talk to you again soon. Peace

NJC_Manhattan
11-10-09, 8:57 pm
Whats up Evan? I got a nutrition question, so I thought I'd come to the source.

Just got out of the cutting Iron contest and I'm looking to add some lean pounds (about 15-20).

Here are my stats

6 feet, 195 pounds. About 10% bf.

Here is my diet. There is probably too much whey in here

1: 1/4 cup oatmeal, two scoops whey
2: 8oz almonds
3: 8oz grilled chicken, 3oz raw baby spinach, 1 whole wheat wrap, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4: (Pre-workout): 1 tbsp natty pb, 1 scoop whey
5: (Post-workout): 8oz ground beef, 3 eggs
6: 2 scoops whey

Cals: 2300-2500
Not sure of the other macro breakdown. I know that could be a deal breaker with my questions. Sorry bro.

Here are my supps

Pak with meal 1
Omega with meal 3
Shock pre workout
Nitro post workout
CoQ10 post workout
Resveratrol post workout
Every three days I take Flex with meal 4
Adding ZMA soon for pre-bed

Here is my workout split

Monday: Chest/shoulders
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Off (Abs/ 20 mins Cardio)
Thursday: Back
Friday: Arms/Calves
Saturday: Off (Abs/ 20 minsCardio)
Sunday: Off

Now that I've given you my life story, what do you think I should add/take away in the food/supps/workouts.

Thanks in advance big man. I know I'm asking a lot here.

barbell
11-11-09, 10:15 pm
Ox.
If a good solid protein powder (and food) provides a good dose of glutamine and other BCAAs/EAAs then why are glutamine and other amino acid supplements made...

Questio 1: Is there really a need to supplement with these additional amino acid supplements??

For instance, as this description of NITRO explains:

"By using only 100% uncoupled aminos in HMPC(tm), Animal Nitro delivers a precisely controlled dose of aminos that are "targeted" to efficiently enter systemic circulation through a novel amino transport system...Once ingested, they form a special bolus (a protective "mass") that allows them to efficiently bypass the liver. Now this is vital as the liver captures and catabolizes REGULAR amino acids (like those found in PROTEIN POWDERS such as whey and more conventional amino supplements) to urea, a waste product"

Question 2: If this is so then protein powders are 'poof' compared to a.acid supps right?

I seek your opinion on this matter as I believe you are very knowledgable on matters of nutrition. I Appreciate it Ox.
Cheers Bro.

Nickeas
11-13-09, 1:35 pm
Hey Ox, just wanted to say thank you again for your contribution to the sport of Bodybuilding, world wide.. I was wondering if you could take a look over my current diet/supplement routine and split and tell me what you think..

M1-6 eggs, 40g carbs from organic omega 3 wheat cereal, 1 pack, 1 omega
M2-40g whey, 1/2 cup oats, 2tbsp olive oil
M3-50g carbs from potatos, 6-8oz ground turkey, 1 tbslp olive oil, spinach
M4-40g whey, 1 cup mixed berries, 5g creatine, 5g glutamine (30 min pre workout)
Post workout-2 nitro, 1 scoop EAA Nitro, 5g creatine, 10g glutamine, 7 OKG
M5-Same as m3, with red meath though..
M6-6oz chicken with omega

Split
Day 1
Chest, bis, forearms
Day 2
Legs, calves
Day 3
Off
Day 4
Shoulders, Tris, Abs
Day 5
Back, grip
Day 6&7
Off

Volume is between 8-13 sets per bodypart.. straight sets, some drop sets and supersets every now and then..

I am 5'9" 195lbs at about 12%.. And I am 21

I feel good with the routine and the diet.. As far as cardio, I do it when I can.. We run alot anyway in the mornings, but I get out of that when I can..

Nickeas
11-15-09, 2:45 pm
Hey Ox, just wanted to say thank you again for your contribution to the sport of Bodybuilding, world wide.. I was wondering if you could take a look over my current diet/supplement routine and split and tell me what you think..

M4-40g whey, 1 cup mixed berries, 5g creatine, 5g glutamine (30 min pre workout)

Split
Day 1
Chest, bis, forearms
Day 2
Legs, calves
Day 3
Off
Day 4
Shoulders, Tris, Abs
Day 5
Back, grip
Day 6&7
Off

Volume is between 8-13 sets per bodypart.. straight sets, some drop sets and supersets every now and then..

I feel good with the routine and the diet.. As far as cardio, I do it when I can.. We run alot anyway in the mornings, but I get out of that when I can..

Also, could drink one serving of EAA Nitro during my workout and another POST WORKOUT?

Nickeas
11-17-09, 11:19 am
I don't use a long digesting protein. Like I mentioned before I like whey isolate when doing the zero carb because it's usually the only way to get a zero carb protein. Egg protein is cool if you like that but I usually use whey isolate. I don't do well with casein or micellar casein...it fucks my stomach up. I've never felt that there was any need for it so long as you are eating throughout the day. And at night time...it's okay not to eat for 8-10 hours. You can't lose muscle when you sleep. Besides, it's a nice time to burn some fat. Bra? What the hell?

lol, yo bra

Ox
11-20-09, 10:58 am
Hi Evan, i have a question, how do you distribute rest days in advantage for lagging bodyparts? It took me a while to realize that rest was the reason why my delts didnt grow and my legs went out of proportions, i have tried not to train delts at all, but that was even worse. My split is like this:

Day 1 - Arms
Day 2 - Legs
Day 3 - Off
Day 4 - Chest
Day 5 - Back and traps
Day 6 - Off
Day 7 - Delts
Day 8 - Off

Someone reccomended doing front and middle delts after chest and not have a shoulder workout, what do you think?

Your clips at MD are very beneficial! Really interesting to hear what you had to say about water, i love hearing stuff like that, any thoughts on air?

Give this a try the way you have it where you dedicate an entire day to delts with off days before and after. However, delts are a fairly small muscle group that DO receive stimualtion from back and chest training. I have had luck training them on back and chest day but also have luck doing them on their own day. All you can do is give both ways a shot. Keep in mind, it isn't always what you do but how you do it! Make sure you're using the intensity, poundages and training techniques needed for thm to grow. If you don't, it won't matter how you arrange delts into your split.

Ox
11-20-09, 11:01 am
Whats up Evan? I got a nutrition question, so I thought I'd come to the source.

Just got out of the cutting Iron contest and I'm looking to add some lean pounds (about 15-20).

Here are my stats

6 feet, 195 pounds. About 10% bf.

Here is my diet. There is probably too much whey in here

1: 1/4 cup oatmeal, two scoops whey
2: 8oz almonds
3: 8oz grilled chicken, 3oz raw baby spinach, 1 whole wheat wrap, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4: (Pre-workout): 1 tbsp natty pb, 1 scoop whey
5: (Post-workout): 8oz ground beef, 3 eggs
6: 2 scoops whey

Cals: 2300-2500
Not sure of the other macro breakdown. I know that could be a deal breaker with my questions. Sorry bro.

Here are my supps

Pak with meal 1
Omega with meal 3
Shock pre workout
Nitro post workout
CoQ10 post workout
Resveratrol post workout
Every three days I take Flex with meal 4
Adding ZMA soon for pre-bed

Here is my workout split

Monday: Chest/shoulders
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Off (Abs/ 20 mins Cardio)
Thursday: Back
Friday: Arms/Calves
Saturday: Off (Abs/ 20 minsCardio)
Sunday: Off

Now that I've given you my life story, what do you think I should add/take away in the food/supps/workouts.

Thanks in advance big man. I know I'm asking a lot here.

To be honest, I think everything looks pretty on. As for the food, it's going to come down to quantity and you'll have to be the one to determine if you're eating enough/too much to be where you want to be. Training and supps look good. Personally, if you're trying to gain size and strength, I think you should carbs in your diet.

Ox
11-20-09, 11:08 am
Ox.
If a good solid protein powder (and food) provides a good dose of glutamine and other BCAAs/EAAs then why are glutamine and other amino acid supplements made...

Questio 1: Is there really a need to supplement with these additional amino acid supplements??

For instance, as this description of NITRO explains:

"By using only 100% uncoupled aminos in HMPC(tm), Animal Nitro delivers a precisely controlled dose of aminos that are "targeted" to efficiently enter systemic circulation through a novel amino transport system...Once ingested, they form a special bolus (a protective "mass") that allows them to efficiently bypass the liver. Now this is vital as the liver captures and catabolizes REGULAR amino acids (like those found in PROTEIN POWDERS such as whey and more conventional amino supplements) to urea, a waste product"

Question 2: If this is so then protein powders are 'poof' compared to a.acid supps right?

I seek your opinion on this matter as I believe you are very knowledgable on matters of nutrition. I Appreciate it Ox.
Cheers Bro.

There are plenty of foods that provide vitamins and minerals but there are still supplements made. That's just how it is. In a perfect worls, you'd be able to get all you need from food but that is difficult for many reasons. As for aminos, taking aminos such as Nitro elicits a very different effect than say eating a meal.

Question 1: Need? I don't know that I would say you NEED to but I can definitely say it is beneficial.

Question 2: No. That's like comparing anabolics and food and saying that if you take anabolics you don't need to eat. When you take aminos, you're taking them for their anabolic effect...they will stimulate protein synthesis, thwart catabolism, effect IGF etc etc. You then need the food and protein powder as the actual building blocks, calories etc etc. Aminos elicit an anabolic effect and food provides your body with the building blocks.

NJC_Manhattan
11-20-09, 11:08 am
To be honest, I think everything looks pretty on. As for the food, it's going to come down to quantity and you'll have to be the one to determine if you're eating enough/too much to be where you want to be. Training and supps look good. Personally, if you're trying to gain size and strength, I think you should carbs in your diet.

Thanks man. I'll add some carbs into the mix.

Ox
11-20-09, 11:10 am

Split
Day 1
Chest, bis, forearms
Day 2
Legs, calves
Day 3
Off
Day 4
Shoulders, Tris, Abs
Day 5
Back, grip
Day 6&7
Off

Everything looks good to me but I don't know what you look like, how you train, what your metabolism is like etc etc. Only you can dtermine what you need to eat to support your goals. If i had to guess, then I would say that what you wrote down looks damn good but then again, that is just a guess. Your diet is very balanced and it looks like you've got it all covered.

Ox
11-20-09, 11:11 am
Also, could drink one serving of EAA Nitro during my workout and another POST WORKOUT?

You could but I don't think it's necessary. Stick to PWO.

Reacher34
11-20-09, 8:46 pm
Hey Ox, you have been answering questions about everyone else, but what about you? How's YOUR training going? I can't remember what show you're doing next. Are we gonna see a Large-and-in-charge Ox at the Arnold, or will you be ripped to the bone?

TOA
11-24-09, 7:42 pm
Brothers!!

What Is The Best Way To Cut, Cardio Wise!? Should I Be Doin "hiit" Shit With Intervals For Like 20 Mins Or Low Intense Cardio For Like 45 Mins? Any Help/suggestions Are Appreciated!

Ox, Whats Your Cardio Looking Like When You Cut? Any Changes?

jayanticoli
11-27-09, 9:26 pm
i'm starting my first cut.....my first step is to slowly ween some carbs out of my daily meals week by week...for instance daily i have 1cup of oats...then lunch is a cup of brow rice...then meal 4 has a cup of brown rice and then meal 6 has a cup of brown rice(postworkout)......my plan is to reduce meal 4 to a half cup of rice during my first week and then during my second week reduce meal 4 to have no carb at all....then eventually reduce another one of my meals out of the day down to a no carb meal essentially leaving me with just carb in the am and carb postworkout....all the while keeping my protein and fat sources the same....i will have about 2 cheat meals a week but neither of which will be late night carb indulges lol.....thanks for your help.......additionally i am upping my cardio to 4 to 5 times a week to help in the cut

my protein and fats are coming from natty pb occasionally cashews and cottage cheese....chicken tuna steak and turkey....the basics
and i take pak daily ...my goal is to get rid of some loose fatty areas around my lower abs and lower back...from when i was a fatass i just couldnt get rid of them....

Ox
11-29-09, 2:33 pm
Hey Ox, you have been answering questions about everyone else, but what about you? How's YOUR training going? I can't remember what show you're doing next. Are we gonna see a Large-and-in-charge Ox at the Arnold, or will you be ripped to the bone?

It's all going really well man...thanks for asking! I haven't decided on my next show yet. But I'll be at the Arnold...either way, I'll be large and in large! ;)

Ox
11-29-09, 2:34 pm
Brothers!!

What Is The Best Way To Cut, Cardio Wise!? Should I Be Doin "hiit" Shit With Intervals For Like 20 Mins Or Low Intense Cardio For Like 45 Mins? Any Help/suggestions Are Appreciated!

Ox, Whats Your Cardio Looking Like When You Cut? Any Changes?

I think that higher inensity and intervals is better but only so long as your diet is sufficient. Cardio is different each time I diet depending on what I feel I need or what I want to experiment with. Just go hard and adjust it as necessary. Don't do any more than you have to or any less than you need to!

In Flames
11-29-09, 9:20 pm
Ox, have you ever tried lower volume routine or have you always been more of a high volume lifter?

I've been doing Rage's Mass Workout for the past 2 weeks which is a lot lower volume then I normally do.

Example of my Back workout.

2 x 8-10 T-bar Rows
2 x 8-10 Single Arm DB Rows
2 x 8-10 Wide Grip Pull-downs
3 x 15-20 Barbell Shrugs

Each set taken till complete failure.

Ox
12-02-09, 9:23 am
Ox, have you ever tried lower volume routine or have you always been more of a high volume lifter?

I've been doing Rage's Mass Workout for the past 2 weeks which is a lot lower volume then I normally do.

Example of my Back workout.

2 x 8-10 T-bar Rows
2 x 8-10 Single Arm DB Rows
2 x 8-10 Wide Grip Pull-downs
3 x 15-20 Barbell Shrugs

Each set taken till complete failure.

Latley I've been doing less vooume and higher intensity. I like it. Oscar got me started training like this getting ready for New York and it makes sense. I still throw in some volume here and there. Just like anything else, it's a balancing act.

BionicMasterPiece
12-02-09, 10:34 am
Hey ox, how does a typical chest workout look for you? (im just tryin to get some ideas for my upcoming workout)

thanks

CARNIVOR
12-02-09, 12:53 pm
Hey Ox,
First off you are an inspiration through and through. From your positive attitude to your outlook on health. I always look forward to you column in MD.

My question is: I was reading the current MD and it seams that many guys (mostly under Hany Rambod and Farah's watch) are turning to high carb cycling diets which eventually drop when they get closer to contest but stay unusually high. They come in cut and very full and round. Does that affect your opinion of keto diets in any way?

Thanks,

Carnivor

BlackCatz
12-06-09, 6:23 pm
Evan, read all your replies and i must say i'm really impressed with your knowledge and the way you adjust things man, now i've got a few questions if you got time to answer bro.

How come you decided to go with a ZERO carb diet? Assuming you still follow your old diet hehe

I'd also appreciate to know what your opinion is on my current bulking diet. Here's how it's structured; I'm 6'2', about 203-4lbs, with roughly 17% body fat or so.

Meal 1 - 6 Eggs, 1 cup green veggies, 1 banana and 1 cup of oats with whole milk.
Meal 2 - PW Shake with whey protein, water, whole milk, 1 cup of oats, strawberries and half a banana
Meal 3 - Chicken breast or top sirloin steak, 1 cup brown rice or white rice, 1 potato or a few sweet potatoes
Meal 4 - Chicken breast or top sirloin steak, but this time with 1 cup or 2 cups green veggies
Meal 5 - Protein shake with water only
Meal 6 - Same as meal 4
Meal 7 - 4 boiled eggs or a can of tuna, 1 cup veggies and 1 cup low fat cottage cheese.

What's your intake? Is this a proper diet for me? My goal is simple, add a bit more muscle but as lean as i can add it.

Fury317
12-07-09, 12:23 pm
What up Ox, got another question for you if you don't mind. I'd just like your take on a possible change of diet. I really take my dieting seriously and was looking at revamping it. I got some ideas based off what Layne Norton and Jim Cordova say they do, but obviously geared it towards what I feel I need. Here's what I'm thinking...

Meal 1- 11 egg white, 1 whole Omega 3 egg, 1 cup oatmeal
Meal 2- 9 egg whites, 3 whole Omega 3 eggs, 3 oz. avacado, spinach
Meal 3- 8 oz. chicken breast, 10 oz yam
Meal 4- 8 oz chicken or lean beef, 5 oz yam, 2 cups broc or asparagus
Meal 5- 40g protein shake, 14g fat from almonds or olive oil
Meal 6 (hr. before bed)- 24g casein, 6 egg whites, tbsp olive oil

So it breaks down to about 320 protein, 240 carbs, and 70 fats. Now, Im fine with that, but what I was wondering is how do you feel about emphasizing one fuel source over another at specific times? Ive always spaced out my carbs and fats and included both pretty much in every meal except the last. But with this, Im doing carbs first thing in the morning and around the workout, and as lower intensity times taking in my fats. Does this sound like a plan for disaster or do you think I'll be cool? Thanks man

C.Coronato
12-07-09, 3:03 pm
Thanks for a great session on Saturday big bro. I am motivated!

Ox
12-10-09, 9:00 am
Hey ox, how does a typical chest workout look for you? (im just tryin to get some ideas for my upcoming workout)

thanks

Nothing crazy man. Last session was:

Incline Barbell
Flat Dumbell
Flat Fly
Dips

Ox
12-10-09, 9:02 am
Hey Ox,
First off you are an inspiration through and through. From your positive attitude to your outlook on health. I always look forward to you column in MD.

My question is: I was reading the current MD and it seams that many guys (mostly under Hany Rambod and Farah's watch) are turning to high carb cycling diets which eventually drop when they get closer to contest but stay unusually high. They come in cut and very full and round. Does that affect your opinion of keto diets in any way?

Thanks,

Carnivor

Haney's guys have all been coming in good lately. Keto diets? I've previosuly said that I think keto diets are great for losing fat and getting in shape with relative ease but A. make retaining muscle difficult B. slow your metabolism down C. flatten you out D. make you unresponsive to carbs. I don't feel keto is THE best way to diet for a bodybuilding show. I base this solely on MY past experiences. Anything can work for anyone.

Ox
12-10-09, 9:06 am
Evan, read all your replies and i must say i'm really impressed with your knowledge and the way you adjust things man, now i've got a few questions if you got time to answer bro.

How come you decided to go with a ZERO carb diet? Assuming you still follow your old diet hehe

I'd also appreciate to know what your opinion is on my current bulking diet. Here's how it's structured; I'm 6'2', about 203-4lbs, with roughly 17% body fat or so.

Meal 1 - 6 Eggs, 1 cup green veggies, 1 banana and 1 cup of oats with whole milk.
Meal 2 - PW Shake with whey protein, water, whole milk, 1 cup of oats, strawberries and half a banana
Meal 3 - Chicken breast or top sirloin steak, 1 cup brown rice or white rice, 1 potato or a few sweet potatoes
Meal 4 - Chicken breast or top sirloin steak, but this time with 1 cup or 2 cups green veggies
Meal 5 - Protein shake with water only
Meal 6 - Same as meal 4
Meal 7 - 4 boiled eggs or a can of tuna, 1 cup veggies and 1 cup low fat cottage cheese.

What's your intake? Is this a proper diet for me? My goal is simple, add a bit more muscle but as lean as i can add it.

I no longer follow a ketogenic diet when prepping for a show. I used the keto diet for 3 shows. I used it because the it sounded logical and I dropped fat with relative ease and felt good in the process.

As for your diet, I don't think dairy serves any advantage and I would eliminate it. Otherwise I think it looks good.

Ox
12-10-09, 9:08 am
What up Ox, got another question for you if you don't mind. I'd just like your take on a possible change of diet. I really take my dieting seriously and was looking at revamping it. I got some ideas based off what Layne Norton and Jim Cordova say they do, but obviously geared it towards what I feel I need. Here's what I'm thinking...

Meal 1- 11 egg white, 1 whole Omega 3 egg, 1 cup oatmeal
Meal 2- 9 egg whites, 3 whole Omega 3 eggs, 3 oz. avacado, spinach
Meal 3- 8 oz. chicken breast, 10 oz yam
Meal 4- 8 oz chicken or lean beef, 5 oz yam, 2 cups broc or asparagus
Meal 5- 40g protein shake, 14g fat from almonds or olive oil
Meal 6 (hr. before bed)- 24g casein, 6 egg whites, tbsp olive oil

So it breaks down to about 320 protein, 240 carbs, and 70 fats. Now, Im fine with that, but what I was wondering is how do you feel about emphasizing one fuel source over another at specific times? Ive always spaced out my carbs and fats and included both pretty much in every meal except the last. But with this, Im doing carbs first thing in the morning and around the workout, and as lower intensity times taking in my fats. Does this sound like a plan for disaster or do you think I'll be cool? Thanks man

I think it makes sense. When dietting for NY I had my proteins and carbs in the am and around training and then in the pm manily took in protein and fat. You won't know if it will work until you try it. Just go by how you feel. If you need more fat have it or if you need more carbs have those. Sometimes you may need more of both. All you can do is recognize what your body needs and when it needs it.

Ox
12-10-09, 9:09 am
Thanks for a great session on Saturday big bro. I am motivated!

That was a good session bro! Keep killin' it!

LittleMan55
12-10-09, 9:19 am
Ox,

You were looking huge and still very lean in the most recent ABC pics. It is evident that you have found what works for you. Keep trucking big guy!

Oh yeah the cleanse article made me laugh so hard. Very smart to do that thouh and has me contemplating one. I think clearing out the system is a very good thing.

TheGreatWhite
12-10-09, 12:25 pm
What's good Evan?? Just wanted an opinion on an off-season split...just get back when you can!

Monday: Chest
-Incline Barbell
-Flat Barbell
-Hammer Strength Incline
-DB Fly

Tuesday: Back
-Pull Ups
-Deadlifts
-BB Rows
-Lat Pulldowns
-Low Row
-1 arm DB Rows

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Shoulders
-DB Military Press
-Straight Bar Front Raises
-Supinating DB Front Raises
-Seated Side Lateral Machine Raises
-Rear Delt Flies

Friday: Arms
-Straight Bar Curl
-Hammer Curl
-Incline DB Curl
-V-Bar Pressdowns
-Close Grip Bench Press
-Seated Skull Crushers
-Cable Extensions

Saturday: Legs
-Quad Ext.
-Squat
-Leg Press
-SL Deads
-Quad Ext.
-Hammy Curls (Lying)
-Seated/Standing Calf Raise SS

Note: The sets and reps on my opening compound lifts are 5 x 5, and the other sets, I.E. Lat pulldown, Flies, etc are 3 x 12. Just thought i'd get at you! Take care and good luck with all of your trianing!

StateChamps10

BlackCatz
12-10-09, 3:57 pm
I no longer follow a ketogenic diet when prepping for a show. I used the keto diet for 3 shows. I used it because the it sounded logical and I dropped fat with relative ease and felt good in the process.

As for your diet, I don't think dairy serves any advantage and I would eliminate it. Otherwise I think it looks good.

Evan, thanks for your reply. I'll remove the dairy foods from my diet, some guy would always tell me that drinking whole milk is very good for you. You said you no longer follow the keto diet, how come? Do you consume carbs off and pre season now at days bro? By the way great videos, would be cool if i could train with you. Like ANIMALS!!

D-Bomb
12-10-09, 9:14 pm
Awesome video footage on Muscular Development of the ABC and you OX! damn dude you are an OX! looking a lot more crazy than i thought you did, super huge and thick with vascularity to boot! i hear you on the competing being more of a personal thing, puts you in the right frame of mind...

keep it up Evan!

Littlefry
12-11-09, 12:14 am
Quick question for you Ox. I know you have said that you dont specifically run keto diets anymore but I thought that this would be a good question to ask you. Anyways I plan on running Dave palumbo's cutting diet in a couple months, yes I know a couple months but I like to plan anhead and be ready before hand.

Well my question is deciding which fish to use during my meals, and since Ive heard you talk about you love for fish as a protien and fat source I thought I would ask you, what would be the best type of fish to go with. So far Im decided between basa and tipilia. Whats your opinion on the best fish to go with protien and fats wise?

makary
12-11-09, 12:05 pm
Ox,

what is your opinion on muscle training twice a week? Do you think that once enough or it makes sense to try twice a week?

Thanks!!

Ozzy27
12-11-09, 4:59 pm
Hey Evan, you're in the "Top 10 Stories Of The Year" position number 8, have you heard the show?
New York Pro Sensation, the Rookie Evan Centopani wins the show... Nice!
Nice words from Bob

Keep it up, man

Ox
12-14-09, 6:17 pm
Ox,

You were looking huge and still very lean in the most recent ABC pics. It is evident that you have found what works for you. Keep trucking big guy!

Oh yeah the cleanse article made me laugh so hard. Very smart to do that thouh and has me contemplating one. I think clearing out the system is a very good thing.

Thanks man. I think a cleanse here and there and or a day of fasting is a good idea. Let me know how it works out for you if you decide to try it.

Ox
12-14-09, 6:20 pm
What's good Evan?? Just wanted an opinion on an off-season split...just get back when you can!

Monday: Chest
-Incline Barbell
-Flat Barbell
-Hammer Strength Incline
-DB Fly

Tuesday: Back
-Pull Ups
-Deadlifts
-BB Rows
-Lat Pulldowns
-Low Row
-1 arm DB Rows

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Shoulders
-DB Military Press
-Straight Bar Front Raises
-Supinating DB Front Raises
-Seated Side Lateral Machine Raises
-Rear Delt Flies

Friday: Arms
-Straight Bar Curl
-Hammer Curl
-Incline DB Curl
-V-Bar Pressdowns
-Close Grip Bench Press
-Seated Skull Crushers
-Cable Extensions

Saturday: Legs
-Quad Ext.
-Squat
-Leg Press
-SL Deads
-Quad Ext.
-Hammy Curls (Lying)
-Seated/Standing Calf Raise SS

Note: The sets and reps on my opening compound lifts are 5 x 5, and the other sets, I.E. Lat pulldown, Flies, etc are 3 x 12. Just thought i'd get at you! Take care and good luck with all of your trianing!

StateChamps10

Hey man. All the exercises you've listed are great and worth doing. But in all honesty, a lot has to do with HOW you do those movements, how you eat, how you arrange everything to fit your needs. It all looks great but it's up to you to combine it all and tailor it to fit your goals and recuperative ability.

Ox
12-14-09, 6:22 pm
Evan, thanks for your reply. I'll remove the dairy foods from my diet, some guy would always tell me that drinking whole milk is very good for you. You said you no longer follow the keto diet, how come? Do you consume carbs off and pre season now at days bro? By the way great videos, would be cool if i could train with you. Like ANIMALS!!

I don't think it is good for you but it will put weight on you no doubt. I just think there are better food choices that will work better with your body. I stopped the keto diet because I felt I was capable of coming in fuller and bigger with the same or better conditioning. I consume carbs as I feel I need them in accordance with my goal(s) at the time. If you want to train with me get your ass to an ABC.

Ox
12-14-09, 6:24 pm
Awesome video footage on Muscular Development of the ABC and you OX! damn dude you are an OX! looking a lot more crazy than i thought you did, super huge and thick with vascularity to boot! i hear you on the competing being more of a personal thing, puts you in the right frame of mind...

keep it up Evan!

No doubt. Thanks man.

Ox
12-14-09, 6:25 pm
Quick question for you Ox. I know you have said that you dont specifically run keto diets anymore but I thought that this would be a good question to ask you. Anyways I plan on running Dave palumbo's cutting diet in a couple months, yes I know a couple months but I like to plan anhead and be ready before hand.

Well my question is deciding which fish to use during my meals, and since Ive heard you talk about you love for fish as a protien and fat source I thought I would ask you, what would be the best type of fish to go with. So far Im decided between basa and tipilia. Whats your opinion on the best fish to go with protien and fats wise?

Fluke/Sole/Flounder for low fat white fish.
Wild salmon/Swordfish for fatty fish.

Ox
12-14-09, 6:27 pm
Ox,

what is your opinion on muscle training twice a week? Do you think that once enough or it makes sense to try twice a week?

Thanks!!

It's always worth a try. It may work or it might not! Personally, I like to hit it hard once a week but I have traine dbodyparts twice a week with success as well.

Ox
12-14-09, 6:27 pm
Hey Evan, you're in the "Top 10 Stories Of The Year" position number 8, have you heard the show?
New York Pro Sensation, the Rookie Evan Centopani wins the show... Nice!
Nice words from Bob

Keep it up, man

Wow that IS really nice.

Pizzalamp
12-14-09, 7:37 pm
Hello Evan
I was watching your off season eating video online, and I noticed when u were making your 6 eggs over easy they came out looking very good...when I make mine they always get a bit burned underneath...How did u cook your eggs so perfectly?

Thanks.
Hope all is well.

Bran88
12-14-09, 11:24 pm
Hey man, just watched your latest video on MD. I heard you mention an 8 day split you're currently on. Can you give a brief overview of what your days are looking like? Thanks a lot man, looking great as ever!

--Brandon

Littlefry
12-14-09, 11:26 pm
Fluke/Sole/Flounder for low fat white fish.
Wild salmon/Swordfish for fatty fish.

Ok thanks. Is there a certian reason why you wouldnt go with basa? Or are the above just your preferences?

Reacher34
12-16-09, 9:30 am
Hey Ox, I really enjoyed "the Edge". It's nice to hear your opinion on training once in a while. A lot of what you been saying has been making a lot of sense to me lately and I appreciate your perspective.

NJC_Manhattan
12-16-09, 12:31 pm
Read your article 'the Edge', there were some very true points in there.

Regarding the fear pushing to the edge, getting small, etc. Psychiatrists say that the more you fear doing something, the more it has to be done. Though they use examples of fear of confrontation, fear of change, etc. I think it applies to what you wrote about.

Once heard a guy say he couldn't do squats because he didn't know how to sit down. True story. Thought you might find that amusing.

Bran88
12-16-09, 1:21 pm

Regarding the fear pushing to the edge, getting small, etc. Psychiatrists say that the more you fear doing something, the more it has to be done. Though they use examples of fear of confrontation, fear of change, etc. I think it applies to what you wrote about.

Once heard a guy say he couldn't do squats because he didn't know how to sit down. True story. Thought you might find that amusing.

Just read it. Great article!

BlackCatz
12-16-09, 5:21 pm
I don't think it is good for you but it will put weight on you no doubt. I just think there are better food choices that will work better with your body. I stopped the keto diet because I felt I was capable of coming in fuller and bigger with the same or better conditioning. I consume carbs as I feel I need them in accordance with my goal(s) at the time. If you want to train with me get your ass to an ABC.

I hear you, you've got great conditioning no matter what Evan. Hey man, what'd you do for your last arm workout? My arms are the most lagging part in my body and i wanna get an idea of another approach to hit arms. Haha, yeah i wish i could get to an ABC, i'm all the way down in Mexico but hey if you ever come down here for vacation we could always go to my gym, then to a public swimming pool wearing violet speedos whilst pumped, after that we'd go to a chinese buffet and if it's not much to ask i'd like you to wear a tight silver vest and knee high socks, purple colored? haha

Firedrake
12-16-09, 5:59 pm
Great article, Ox, about "dancing on the edge" -- getting to it, pulling back, and keeping yourself on your toes.

mahscles
12-16-09, 8:09 pm
ah dancing on the edge, huh big man. you mean like "ballroom dancing?" haha just kidding bro great article. printed it out and stuck it next to my bed on the shelf.

andrewT
12-16-09, 10:39 pm
YOOO BROSEPH lol

good article as usual Ox! you always manage to explain things in a way any regular joe schmoe can relate to!

hope everything is good with you!

Fury317
12-17-09, 9:32 am
Great article Evan! You looking fucking jacked in the pic too. Damn dude.

Max-Angle
12-20-09, 3:19 pm
Hey Ox, am near your one page in the journey book that shows your shirtless upperbody and i've just gotta say NICE JOB MAN! Ur a god of weightlifting, keep up the great work, what did you do to get down to such a low bodyfat, it would be awesome if you would check out my journey, don't have to though, just stopped by to say thanks for being a weightlifter, your an inspiration.

BionicMasterPiece
12-20-09, 5:23 pm
Hey Ox, am near your one page in the journey book that shows your shirtless upperbody and i've just gotta say NICE JOB MAN! Ur a god of weightlifting, keep up the great work, what did you do to get down to such a low bodyfat, it would be awesome if you would check out my journey, don't have to though, just stopped by to say thanks for being a weightlifter, your an inspiration.

ehhh....please use "bodybuilder" instead of "weightlifter" lol.....2 totally different meanings

Max-Angle
12-20-09, 7:53 pm
sorry, i mean he uses weightlifting to become a bodybuilder but your right, "bodybuilder"

Ox
12-21-09, 5:04 pm
Hello Evan
I was watching your off season eating video online, and I noticed when u were making your 6 eggs over easy they came out looking very good...when I make mine they always get a bit burned underneath...How did u cook your eggs so perfectly?

Thanks.
Hope all is well.

I just put the pan on low to medium low and let the eggs cook slowly. Doing it this way, they will almost cook through and you may not even need to flip em. Low and slow.

Ox
12-21-09, 5:06 pm
Hey man, just watched your latest video on MD. I heard you mention an 8 day split you're currently on. Can you give a brief overview of what your days are looking like? Thanks a lot man, looking great as ever!

--Brandon

Day 1: Quads
Day 2: Off
Day 3: Chest, Triceps and Abs
Day 4: Back
Day 5: Off
Day 6: Hams and Calves
Day 7: Delts and Biceps
Day 8: Off

Ox
12-21-09, 5:08 pm
Ok thanks. Is there a certian reason why you wouldnt go with basa? Or are the above just your preferences?

I have no clue what basa is. I reccomend those fish because they are wild caught, white, low fat fish and are small in size. The size of the fish has a lot to do with mercury content and larger fish typically have higher mercury. If basa fits the criteria and you like it, eat it.

Ox
12-21-09, 5:09 pm
Hey Ox, I really enjoyed "the Edge". It's nice to hear your opinion on training once in a while. A lot of what you been saying has been making a lot of sense to me lately and I appreciate your perspective.

Thank you. Everyone should think about things and determine what makes sense to them. Too often, you are TOLD was is right, wrong blah blah blah and it's bullshit.

Ox
12-21-09, 5:12 pm

I believe that. It's like leg day. If there is typically a day that is skipped it is leg day. Nobody ever skips chest day. The less you do it, the more you fear it. But for guys who train legs every week and crush it, they look forward to it. fuckin people with their excuses as to why they can't squat. It's amazing how many bad backs and knees out there....you'd think we were a nation of cripples.

Ox
12-21-09, 5:15 pm
I hear you, you've got great conditioning no matter what Evan. Hey man, what'd you do for your last arm workout? My arms are the most lagging part in my body and i wanna get an idea of another approach to hit arms. Haha, yeah i wish i could get to an ABC, i'm all the way down in Mexico but hey if you ever come down here for vacation we could always go to my gym, then to a public swimming pool wearing violet speedos whilst pumped, after that we'd go to a chinese buffet and if it's not much to ask i'd like you to wear a tight silver vest and knee high socks, purple colored? haha

Been splitting arms up lately and doing triceps after chest and bis after delts. For bis I actually did some cable preacher work (something I rarely do) and then some dumbell curls. I lost count of the sets I did on both. I just trained em until I felt it was right. For triceps I pre-exhaisted them with overhead rope extensions. Then I did some dips and ended with overhead dumbell extensions. I have no cluek how many sets of each. The silver vest was the best part! Creepy people.