PDA

View Full Version : Ox's Stable

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Birdman
04-16-10, 1:33 pm
Dig deep motherfucker!
Always, thanks again man, you're an inspiration.

Maiden69
04-16-10, 7:15 pm
I hope you find a decent gym. Stay safe and we all appreciate what you do for us.
I hope so too! and thanks, will do all I can!!!

B.C.
04-16-10, 9:21 pm
Ox,

What clicked in your mind (a dream you had, person you met, event you experienced?) that made you realize that bodybuilding would, from that moment forward, be your life's pursuit? It takes so much discipline, dedication, and straight up hard work to do what you do for a living. What made you decide that it was all worth it? I'm sure you've been asked that before, but this froum is not full of IFBB pros. There are members here from literally EVERY single rung of the bodybuilding ladder from weekend warriors, to local shows, to national level NPC competitors, to IFBB pros. We're all at different stages of mental "in it"ness. How do you stay 100% "in it"? How do you get passed all the distractions, all the doubters, all the leeches? I want to do this, I really do...BUT...I have no local bodybuilders to look up to, not much support at home, and no training partner that lasts more than a couple of weeks. CAN/how do I do this on my own? You're the real-est motherfucker I have access to, and I value your honesty and simplicity. Sorry for the curveballs I throw you every now and again. I'll toss a softball next time.

VERY RESPECTFULLY,
B.C.

KoBeShoW
04-16-10, 10:12 pm
Evan, could you please peruse through this and tell me what you think?

I'm a 6'0'' male, 192lbs, 8-9% body fat. Been cutting for 6 weeks. Goal: 3-4% Body Fat.

Morning, Fasted-state Cardio [Mon - Fri only]- 130-135bpm (use a Polar HR monitor so it's accurate) on treadmill or stairstepper for 55 mins. I usually clock in about 550-600 calories burned.

Meal 1: 1 cup Oats, 1 whole Egg, 10 Egg whites

Meal 2: 3/4 Cup Oats, 6oz. chicken or turkey, 3 oz. raw broccoli

Meal 3: 1/2 Cup Oats, 6 oz. chicken, 3 oz. raw broccoli

Lifting Workout: Back on Sun., Chest and Abs on Mon., Tues. off, Legs on Wed., Arms on Thurs., Shoulders on Fri., Sat. off.

PWO: NO Synthesize - 20g hydrolyzed whey, (82 calories)

Meal 4: 6 oz. chicken, 1 1/2 Tbs. (24g) Natural Peanut Butter, 3 oz. raw broccoli.

Meal 5: 6 oz. chicken, 1 1/2 Tbs. (24g) Natural Peanut Butter, 3 oz. raw broccoli.

Meal 6: 6oz. chicken, 3 oz. raw broccoli.

Supplements: Animal Pak, Omega(2x day), Nitro, Flex, Cuts, Pump, OKG, GH Max, Animal PM, L-carnitine, green tea, Niacin, FucoTHIN, caffeine, ephedrine hcl, Isagenix (fruits, greens, ionix supreme), chromium picolinate, VPX zero carb whey.

I have read the entire thread and kept notes throughout. I read 70% of it on my phone haha. I have tried to piece this together off of what you have suggested along with input from others.
1) Do you think stacking all of my fats in Meal 1, Rage suggests 6 whole eggs in addition to 1 Cup of Oatmeal, would be more effective than having the PB in Meals 4 and 5? How and what fats were you adding your fats to Meals 4 and 5 pre-contest for the NY Pro? Should I get rid of the 1 whole egg if I'm having the PB in Meals 4 and 5?

2) Also, I'm having difficulty implementing a refeed/cheat meal. Rage has his trainees do a clean carb spike on Wednesdays and a 30 min. cheat meal on Sat. or Sun. When you prepared for the NY Pro, I know that was when you made the switch over from Keto...so were you utilizing a cheat meal or refeed? Would really appreciate your input with this.

3) How should I use Universal OKG?

4) How should someone with my body stats use Uni-Liver? Should I take some at every meal or is that just too much?

I know this is a ton of questions, however, I made sure to read through everything before I bothered you. Thanks for your time man.

Ox
04-22-10, 4:23 pm
Wat is the best training chart for gaining volume and muscle?

This is something you have to determine on your own. What I find to work for me may be entirely different than what is optimal for you.

Ox
04-22-10, 4:27 pm
Ox,

First off just wanna say your my idol bro, and I truly admire the raw athletics and thought you put into your workouts and dieting. I see that you throw a bomb of aminos PWO as well as the 20g of glutamine, now without a doubt I'm sure your body necessitates this amount. But as for somebody a little bit lighter on the scale, (5'8'' 178lbs) what would you recommend to keep that anabolism going. If you could even break it down to g/amino that would be great. PS. get back on stage ASAP brother you were looking gigantic at the Arnold, easy podium finish for 2011!

Damn man you're making blush! Even at a lighter bodyweight I still think you should push for a higehr dose of aminos. If 4 is feasible for you, then I reccomend that. You have to consider the fact that even though I am much larger, the difference is more in what I eat after my PWO regimine than in my PWO regimine itself. I think that you and I could benefit from the same PWO protocol, the difference lies in what I will eat after that vs what you will eat. Peace!

LittleMan55
04-22-10, 4:28 pm
Evan your legs article in the newest MD kicks ass!

Ok back to studying for this 6 hour final... I'd rather be in prep, starved, and doing cardio. lol

Ox
04-22-10, 4:28 pm
Evan - i put this in your MD thread also - there's a great BB gym 10 mins from Heathrow - Castle Gym - lots of top Brit competitors - if you need a place to train while youre stuck here let me know

Jonny

Hey man I appreciate it but I ended up wanting to take a ride over to Muscle Works at Bethnal Green. Heard lots of great things about it and they were true. Thanks again. You train at Castle Gym?

Ox
04-22-10, 4:33 pm
Ox,

What clicked in your mind (a dream you had, person you met, event you experienced?) that made you realize that bodybuilding would, from that moment forward, be your life's pursuit? It takes so much discipline, dedication, and straight up hard work to do what you do for a living. What made you decide that it was all worth it? I'm sure you've been asked that before, but this froum is not full of IFBB pros. There are members here from literally EVERY single rung of the bodybuilding ladder from weekend warriors, to local shows, to national level NPC competitors, to IFBB pros. We're all at different stages of mental "in it"ness. How do you stay 100% "in it"? How do you get passed all the distractions, all the doubters, all the leeches? I want to do this, I really do...BUT...I have no local bodybuilders to look up to, not much support at home, and no training partner that lasts more than a couple of weeks. CAN/how do I do this on my own? You're the real-est motherfucker I have access to, and I value your honesty and simplicity. Sorry for the curveballs I throw you every now and again. I'll toss a softball next time.
\

VERY RESPECTFULLY,
B.C.

Nothing ever clicked. To be honest, I still don't KNOW that bodybuilding will be my lifelong work/pursuit. It is somehting I love and am drawn to and just plain feel like I am supposed to do. Why? I don't know. I'm just going with it. Like you mentioned, it's a lot to do day in and day out...dealing with the details and obsessing and putting everyhting you have into it. There's just something that tells me to keep going, so I do. I couldn't really say exactly what makes me tick. It's just something that comes from the inside and you either got it or you don't. Sometimes it doesn't even matter how much you want it. Everyone has a purpose in this life. The toughest thing isn't fulfilling it, it's fuguring out what the fuck it is. Once you know, the questions answer themselves.

WilsDaddy
04-22-10, 8:11 pm
Damn man you're making blush! Even at a lighter bodyweight I still think you should push for a higehr dose of aminos. If 4 is feasible for you, then I reccomend that. You have to consider the fact that even though I am much larger, the difference is more in what I eat after my PWO regimine than in my PWO regimine itself. I think that you and I could benefit from the same PWO protocol, the difference lies in what I will eat after that vs what you will eat. Peace!

Thanks brother, good luck this year!

B.C.
04-22-10, 9:54 pm
Nothing ever clicked. To be honest, I still don't KNOW that bodybuilding will be my lifelong work/pursuit. It is somehting I love and am drawn to and just plain feel like I am supposed to do. Why? I don't know. I'm just going with it. Like you mentioned, it's a lot to do day in and day out...dealing with the details and obsessing and putting everyhting you have into it. There's just something that tells me to keep going, so I do. I couldn't really say exactly what makes me tick. It's just something that comes from the inside and you either got it or you don't. Sometimes it doesn't even matter how much you want it. Everyone has a purpose in this life. The toughest thing isn't fulfilling it, it's fuguring out what the fuck it is. Once you know, the questions answer themselves.

Thanks, Ox. I'll just keep puting all I can into each day, and see where it goes. I see some guys talking a bunch of shit about how they're 100% bodybuilding, 24/7/365...I think it's bullshit, but it's out there. You could have fed me that line, but you didn't. You better stay ready for curveballs, cuz you answer them better than most. You prove that not all bodybuilders are just meatheads with more brawn than brains. I like your style, Ox.

Atom
04-24-10, 4:16 pm
Hey man I appreciate it but I ended up wanting to take a ride over to Muscle Works at Bethnal Green. Heard lots of great things about it and they were true. Thanks again. You train at Castle Gym?

No worries at all. Yeah train at Castle. Love it. From what i hear a slightly smaller version of M.W - must get up there and check it out for myself. If/when you're over here again come and check it out. Until then, all the best Evan.

Gio71
04-25-10, 9:27 am
Hi Evan, how are you ? I wanted to ask you some questions about training, i was at the fibo yesterday, i was around the universal stand a couple times, but i didnt have the courage to talk to you, i dont know why..... maybe you remember when we took a photo together http://img301.imageshack.us/i/bild002i.jpg/ (sorry if my english is to bad in some way, i live in germany)

so what i wanted to ask is:

1.Should i do strict sets with (after i warmed up the muscle i want to train) a weight i can do 8-12 reps every set ? for legs i use 12-15 reps i found out that they respond better this way.
Or pyramide ?

2.should i fail in that range in every set? or just stop at fatigue?

i dont know i wish you could see how i train and correct me

Gio71
04-25-10, 9:43 am
Hi Evan, how are you ? I wanted to ask you some questions about training, i was at the fibo yesterday, i was around the universal stand a couple times, but i didnt have the courage to talk to you, i dont know why..... maybe you remember when we took a photo together http://img301.imageshack.us/i/bild002i.jpg/ (sorry if my english is to bad in some way, i live in germany)

1.Should i do strict sets with (after i warmed up the muscle i want to train) a weight i can do 8-12 reps every set ? for legs i use 12-15 reps i found out that they respond better this way.
Or pyramide ?

3. Sometimes i dont feel the muscle i want to train mostly its my upper back, i feel the barbell rows,deads,dumbell rows, but... they brought me a thick middle back and thick lower lats, but my upper back lacks.. i dont feel it on a pulldown or a pull up i dont know why, maybe because
i warm up wrong?

Littlefry
04-29-10, 12:43 pm
Hey Ox,

I have a quick question for you. I know you are a big beleiver in Amino Acids, wether it be EAA or BCAA's. Well since about a year and a half ago you have got me hooked on the amino acid train aswell. Currently Im running "Ox Stack" of Nitro + Omega while cutting, and Ill be finished up my cut in approximately 4 weeks depending on how I look. My question is after my cut is over I plan on doing a maintance/recomp phase that is soley looking to work with EFA's BCAA's and EAA stack.

I was thinking of stacking Nitro + Omega + BCAA stak + Glutamine as my amino stack. I was wondering do you think this is a good stack to go with to cover all my options?

Ox
04-29-10, 4:13 pm
Thanks, Ox. I'll just keep puting all I can into each day, and see where it goes. I see some guys talking a bunch of shit about how they're 100% bodybuilding, 24/7/365...I think it's bullshit, but it's out there. You could have fed me that line, but you didn't. You better stay ready for curveballs, cuz you answer them better than most. You prove that not all bodybuilders are just meatheads with more brawn than brains. I like your style, Ox.

Thanks man. Everyone has their own approach and their own reasons why they do what they do. But yes, some are full of shit!

Ox
04-29-10, 4:15 pm
No worries at all. Yeah train at Castle. Love it. From what i hear a slightly smaller version of M.W - must get up there and check it out for myself. If/when you're over here again come and check it out. Until then, all the best Evan.

I definitely will. I really liked England! The people were cool as shit and contrary to what people say, I thought the food was pretty damn good! Plus, with some really solid gyms, you can't lose.

Ox
04-29-10, 4:19 pm

Or pyramide ?

Of course I remember you. You definitely should have talked to me. I look forward to talking to EVERYONE. That's why I was there! As for your questions 1. Whatever you find to work for you IS the correct way. 2. Always stop at failure! Faitgue isn't good for anything unless you use it as a pre-cursor to failure. Have faith in yourself and what you do and you'll progress just fine!

Ox
04-29-10, 4:20 pm
3. Sometimes i dont feel the muscle i want to train mostly its my upper back, i feel the barbell rows,deads,dumbell rows, but... they brought me a thick middle back and thick lower lats, but my upper back lacks.. i dont feel it on a pulldown or a pull up i dont know why, maybe because
i warm up wrong?

Try doing close grip and wide grip seated cable rows and bringing the bar/grip higher...more toward your upper chest. Flare your elbows and concentrate on squeezing your upper back/traps.

Ox
04-29-10, 4:21 pm
Hey Ox,

I have a quick question for you. I know you are a big beleiver in Amino Acids, wether it be EAA or BCAA's. Well since about a year and a half ago you have got me hooked on the amino acid train aswell. Currently Im running "Ox Stack" of Nitro + Omega while cutting, and Ill be finished up my cut in approximately 4 weeks depending on how I look. My question is after my cut is over I plan on doing a maintance/recomp phase that is soley looking to work with EFA's BCAA's and EAA stack.

I was thinking of stacking Nitro + Omega + BCAA stak + Glutamine as my amino stack. I was wondering do you think this is a good stack to go with to cover all my options?

Do you mean just for aminos or for all your supps in general?

Littlefry
04-29-10, 7:54 pm
Just for the amino's for now.

Gio71
04-30-10, 1:36 am
Of course I remember you. You definitely should have talked to me. I look forward to talking to EVERYONE. That's why I was there! As for your questions 1. Whatever you find to work for you IS the correct way. 2. Always stop at failure! Faitgue isn't good for anything unless you use it as a pre-cursor to failure. Have faith in yourself and what you do and you'll progress just fine!

Thank you for answering all the questions , hope to see you next year then, until then have a good year.. in training and life. thanks again evan

Joseph V
05-03-10, 11:30 pm
when you were 18 years old and were not sponsored by a good supplement company such as universal/animal...how did you get by when paying for your expensive supplements regimen?

Prmlb9d3
05-10-10, 6:06 am
I'm doin the keto diet nd I just had my cheat day Sunday and I completely over did it like thanksgiving feast OD and I weighed myself this morning nd I was up 7 pounds from last Monday when I was 220 I've been dieting for 2 weeks so far and I was wondering if I gained it all back or is it just water weight?I know body weight fluxuates every day due to water retention but I just need some re assurance that I didn't take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back

Ox
05-10-10, 10:00 am
Do you mean just for aminos or for all your supps in general?

Omega is an EFA supp. To cover your bases with regard to aminos, all you need is Nitro. Whatever money you planeed to invest in other amino products, just put towards Nitro. That's all you need.

Ox
05-10-10, 10:01 am
Thank you for answering all the questions , hope to see you next year then, until then have a good year.. in training and life. thanks again evan

No doubt! Thanks buddy.

Ox
05-10-10, 10:01 am
when you were 18 years old and were not sponsored by a good supplement company such as universal/animal...how did you get by when paying for your expensive supplements regimen?

I got a job ;)

Ox
05-10-10, 10:03 am
I'm doin the keto diet nd I just had my cheat day Sunday and I completely over did it like thanksgiving feast OD and I weighed myself this morning nd I was up 7 pounds from last Monday when I was 220 I've been dieting for 2 weeks so far and I was wondering if I gained it all back or is it just water weight?I know body weight fluxuates every day due to water retention but I just need some re assurance that I didn't take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back

Can you gain 7 pounds of muscle or fat in a day? No. Can you lose 7 pounds of fat or muscle in a day? No. Only thing that can change in a day is water.

FewL4no1
05-10-10, 10:27 pm
Hey Evan. Saw the interview with Shawn Ray over at MD. Lookin big my man. Seems like the off season is treatin you well.

I am beginning a weight loss routine with severely restricted carbs, high fat, moderate protein diet. My biggest issue that comes with this is soreness after my leg days and trying to keep up with cardio for the following few days afterwards, especially day 2 when DOMS starts to set in. I was wondering if you had any advice that could help with this, whether it be increase of BCAAs and EAAs, more strecthing, even more water intake (I get roughly 1.5 gallons a day), or just cutting out cardio for a day or two?

My leg day looks like this:
Leg Extensions: 5x30-20
BB Squats: 4x10-5
Leg Press: 4x20-10
SLDLs: 5x12-8
Prone Leg Curls: 5x15-10
Smith Machine Lunges: 2x10

I train them once a week on a 7-day split, so the soreness is completely gone once the next day leg arrives.

Thanks man.

EDIT: OR, and I forgot to ask this, is soreness something I really don't have to concern myself with and just tough through it? My basic assumption earlier was that it wasn't a good thing for overall mass preservation in my legs while cutting.

Littlefry
05-10-10, 11:56 pm
Omega is an EFA supp. To cover your bases with regard to aminos, all you need is Nitro. Whatever money you planeed to invest in other amino products, just put towards Nitro. That's all you need.

Sounds good, I always have 2 cans of Nitro on hand at all times. Look like I will be ordering 2 more cans.

Raubtier
05-11-10, 5:15 pm
Hey ox!

Big respect my man!
When you competing again? You doing the Arnold?

CARNIVOR
05-11-10, 11:00 pm
Hey Evan. Saw the interview with Shawn Ray over at MD. Lookin big my man. Seems like the off season is treatin you well.

I am beginning a weight loss routine with severely restricted carbs, high fat, moderate protein diet. My biggest issue that comes with this is soreness after my leg days and trying to keep up with cardio for the following few days afterwards, especially day 2 when DOMS starts to set in. I was wondering if you had any advice that could help with this, whether it be increase of BCAAs and EAAs, more strecthing, even more water intake (I get roughly 1.5 gallons a day), or just cutting out cardio for a day or two?

I train them once a week on a 7-day split, so the soreness is completely gone once the next day leg arrives.

Thanks man.

EDIT: OR, and I forgot to ask this, is soreness something I really don't have to concern myself with and just tough through it? My basic assumption earlier was that it wasn't a good thing for overall mass preservation in my legs while cutting.

Hey bro, I know you're waiting for OX's answer but I have the same experience with legs. I always train legs balls to the wall and I'm definently paying for it later. I don't know what kind of cardio you are doing but I've found out no matter how bad my legs hurt I can always get on treadmill. The treadmill is totally different than walking on the ground. I could be limping around in pain but be able to get on the treadmill and walk relatively fast. As far as nutrition I'll also be waiting for Ox's answer. The extra aminos sounds good.

Joseph V
05-12-10, 12:33 am
I got a job ;)

i figured that was an obvious one lamo... but i hope after i graduate high school in lessthen 30 days ill be working in a job already and paying for my own supplements because im getting sick and tired from my father supporting me so much he pays for my supplement usage..and i appreciate it but i feel thats its about time i learn how to manage my own bodybuilding goals/ career

thanks alot evan

FewL4no1
05-12-10, 1:50 am
Hey bro, I know you're waiting for OX's answer but I have the same experience with legs. I always train legs balls to the wall and I'm definently paying for it later. I don't know what kind of cardio you are doing but I've found out no matter how bad my legs hurt I can always get on treadmill. The treadmill is totally different than walking on the ground. I could be limping around in pain but be able to get on the treadmill and walk relatively fast. As far as nutrition I'll also be waiting for Ox's answer. The extra aminos sounds good.

Thanks for the info Carnivor. I actually do HIIT treadmill cardio for 45 min a day, so the pain isn't really the concern but what sort of negative impact it could have on preserving my leg muscle while I cut, such as prolonging and hindering needed recovery. I do agree though, the treadmill is MUCH nicer than taking a run outside as far as stress on the legs, especially when I am battling the elements.

shortstack
05-13-10, 11:08 pm
Hey Evan, I don't know if you have addressed this before but I'm trying to find some good glass bottles to store and carry around my water in. I've already switched to glass for my food and I can't take drinking my water in plastic anymore.

Thanks Brother.
Jeremy

Fury317
05-14-10, 10:59 am
Hey big man, really enjoyed the article on sleep. Im only 23 and still in school and when I tell my friends and co workers I get 9 hours EVERY night (even during finals and shit), they look at me like I have a second head growing out of my neck. Too important to skip out on- not only for growth as you mentioned, but for health and morbidity/mortality.

Ox
05-18-10, 5:37 pm

Thanks man.

Why would you do high fat and moderate protein? I would be sure to keep protein high. And why serverely restrict carbs right off the bat? Maybe wait until you need to do so. Leg soreness is going to happen. The cardio will actually help them recover. Get a foam roller and use that help stretch the fascia and lengthen and loosen the muscle back up.m

Ox
05-18-10, 5:38 pm
Sounds good, I always have 2 cans of Nitro on hand at all times. Look like I will be ordering 2 more cans.

Good man. Nitro is the shit.

Ox
05-18-10, 5:39 pm
Hey ox!

Big respect my man!
When you competing again? You doing the Arnold?

The Arnold it is!

Ox
05-18-10, 5:40 pm
i figured that was an obvious one lamo... but i hope after i graduate high school in lessthen 30 days ill be working in a job already and paying for my own supplements because im getting sick and tired from my father supporting me so much he pays for my supplement usage..and i appreciate it but i feel thats its about time i learn how to manage my own bodybuilding goals/ career

thanks alot evan

No doubt. If it's your dream you gotta be the one to make it happen.

Ox
05-18-10, 5:41 pm
Hey Evan, I don't know if you have addressed this before but I'm trying to find some good glass bottles to store and carry around my water in. I've already switched to glass for my food and I can't take drinking my water in plastic anymore.

Thanks Brother.
Jeremy

Just buy some Pellegrino bottles and empty em out and reuse them.

Ox
05-18-10, 5:42 pm
Hey big man, really enjoyed the article on sleep. Im only 23 and still in school and when I tell my friends and co workers I get 9 hours EVERY night (even during finals and shit), they look at me like I have a second head growing out of my neck. Too important to skip out on- not only for growth as you mentioned, but for health and morbidity/mortality.

Never let other people make you feel like you're nuts because you do what everyone should be doing.

Elite
05-18-10, 7:21 pm
Oh my god, i cant believe you came to Muscleworks Gym in London. Thats my spiritual home and 10mins from my house. Its a proper gym huh! What did you train there? Im kickin myself. If i'd known you were coming, i coulda organised a meal together and had you wearing your posing trunks as we went for a swim after, haha! Gonna have to chat to Sav the manager there, he never told me, yet im the only guy there rocking the Animal T.

FewL4no1
05-18-10, 7:43 pm
Why would you do high fat and moderate protein? I would be sure to keep protein high. And why serverely restrict carbs right off the bat? Maybe wait until you need to do so. Leg soreness is going to happen. The cardio will actually help them recover. Get a foam roller and use that help stretch the fascia and lengthen and loosen the muscle back up.m

Thanks for the reply Evan.

I mixed up my words there, as its high protein and moderate fats, with a high-carb refeed on Sunday evenings. After being on this diet for 2 weeks, I feel amazing. Being carb sensitive, my energy levels have sky rocketed and I feel 100x better: no lethargy, no depression, and the workouts are going much better. Ironic, but hell, it's workin, so I ain't complainin ;)

Thanks for the info on cardio. I will look into the leg roller to add onto a few other things I am doing.

NaturallyPumpd
05-18-10, 10:24 pm
Hey evan I have a question. I was wondering what your opinion is on off-season protein. I am not sure if I should be eating more steak then chicken or more chicken then fish for my meals besides the typical eggs and protein powder. I am on a dieting rollercoaster because I havent been able to formulate a good plan to focus on, whats your suggestion?

shortstack
05-19-10, 5:56 pm
Just buy some Pellegrino bottles and empty em out and reuse them.

Good call, I picked up some this morning. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

See ya,

Jeremy

Elf
05-25-10, 3:39 pm
I don't really have a question but, you looked great in your latest MD video. Keep that shit up broseph, I can't wait to see you compete again. You have so much potential it's retarded.

NJC_Manhattan
05-25-10, 5:24 pm
The Arnold it is!

Awesome

chuckzilla
05-25-10, 6:45 pm
how often should i take a week off training?

Joseph V
05-25-10, 7:31 pm
your chest has improved so much from the last time i saw it =)

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/md-interviews/2986-evan-centopani-illinois-posing-routine-and-interview.html

Elf
05-25-10, 8:30 pm

how often do you want to stop growing? :-P

chuckzilla
05-26-10, 6:31 pm
i have been lifting 4 to 5 days a week for 3 months now. should"nt i take a break to recover then start lifting again?

B.C.
05-26-10, 9:47 pm
i have been lifting 4 to 5 days a week for 3 months now. should"nt i take a break to recover then start lifting again?

Not if it's still working.

Flash419
05-27-10, 10:47 am
Just watched your new video on MD from the guest posing at the Illinois show. Looking good bro. Very thick.. and your legs are blowing up huge!

Keep growing bro and Kai's time as Arnold champ are going to come to an end.

Maiden69
05-28-10, 2:59 am
Sup bro! Finally settled in! Im in sunny Jalalabad Afghanistan, got 3 gyms... if they let me take stuff from each one it would make a pretty decent gym, for now I workout legs and back on one (good power rack) chest/arms/shoulders on the other and cardio on the new big gym. Got yesterday my Animal/Universal supplements and today got the shock of my life!!!

FUCKING BATTALION COMMANDER IS SENDING A FUCKING MEMO MAKING SUPPLEMENTS OFF-LIMITS!!!

WTF, a fellow SFC (Sergeant First Class) asked about protein shakes and he replied those are supplements too!!! I'm was so pissed off I had the best leg workout in more than a year! I just got 2 bottles of Pak, 2 of nitro, shock therapy, intrad, Torrent, a 10 lb bag of Cookies and Cream Ultra Iso Whey and Animal PM, to see if it helps me sleep, on night shift now and still not adjusting!

I'm sharpening the pen about to write a letter to my Rep if they publish that letter... I feel like a drug smuggler calling the wife to send me things inside cookie jars!!! ha ha ha...

Anyway, just dropping by to see hows it going and vent a little bit!!! Ill be more active around, lets see if I can take this old man in shape!

N. Motta
05-29-10, 12:12 pm
Yo Ox

Just saw your new clip on the MD website, guest posing in Chicago and talking about your plans and goals for the upcoming year. Great video, you look fucking massive, especially your wheels. What percentage do you think your sitting at right there?

For what it's worth, I'm betting the farm that you have at least one Sandow in your future, if not the successor to Jay.

dominate77
06-02-10, 11:50 am
Evan, do you believe that carbohydrates play a role in the actual BUILDING of muscle? i want your opinion, i already have Dave P's answer and i want to hear what you have to say.

Dave said "DP: Protein and fats are the building blocks of muscle and the processes that repair and build muscle. Carbs provide fuel for training and fuel for the repair process; but that's it!"

big3434
06-08-10, 7:12 am
would it be alright to sub out green beans, brocolli, or asparaguas instead of letuce or spinach all the time. thanks. my protien comes form the sakes and chicken, turkey, and fish. thanks again. this thread is awesome and good luck to you in your shows.

Pizzalamp
06-12-10, 9:50 pm
hey evan hope all is well

FarBeyondDriven
06-13-10, 4:30 am
Hey evan. First of ll have to say awesome thread. So informative!
My question is if im using your cutting diet as a template and i'm going for 15g fat 40g protein per meal, with my egg meals 3 eggs gives me 15g fat but only 18g protein. How do you suggest i m ake up the additional protein grams? Should i add lean meat, egg whites, a shake or should i just do a couple of extra eggs and go over the fat prescription?

Abelli
06-13-10, 10:57 pm
Evan, amazing thread. So much knowledge gained off of only reading a couple pages. Thanks. But my question is, if i followed your base diet, do you ever eat red meat or just sub with different types of fish and chicken??? And while on it, is there a " cheat meal " for a carb up?? And once off how quickly do you add in the carbs??

Ox
06-22-10, 6:54 pm
Oh my god, i cant believe you came to Muscleworks Gym in London. Thats my spiritual home and 10mins from my house. Its a proper gym huh! What did you train there? Im kickin myself. If i'd known you were coming, i coulda organised a meal together and had you wearing your posing trunks as we went for a swim after, haha! Gonna have to chat to Sav the manager there, he never told me, yet im the only guy there rocking the Animal T.

That's one hell of a gym and you're lucky to be able to train in such a serious establishment. The equipment is top notch, Sav is the man, and the people and overall atmosphere make for one hell of a gym. Give my regards to Sav when you see 'em.

Ox
06-22-10, 6:56 pm
Thanks for the reply Evan.

I mixed up my words there, as its high protein and moderate fats, with a high-carb refeed on Sunday evenings. After being on this diet for 2 weeks, I feel amazing. Being carb sensitive, my energy levels have sky rocketed and I feel 100x better: no lethargy, no depression, and the workouts are going much better. Ironic, but hell, it's workin, so I ain't complainin ;)

Thanks for the info on cardio. I will look into the leg roller to add onto a few other things I am doing.

Ahhh ok that makes sense. Congrats on finding something that works well for you. It takes some experimenting but in the end, you have something that is specific to you.

Ox
06-22-10, 7:00 pm
Hey evan I have a question. I was wondering what your opinion is on off-season protein. I am not sure if I should be eating more steak then chicken or more chicken then fish for my meals besides the typical eggs and protein powder. I am on a dieting rollercoaster because I havent been able to formulate a good plan to focus on, whats your suggestion?

When you're trying to grow, an increase in overall calories should follow. So of course, you should up your protein as well. Food choice is individual but I will say that I've found whole food to work really well for me. Shakes have their place but I would never make them the base of my diet. The protein sources depend on you and your digestion. If you like steak and you feel good eating it, then eat more of it. For me, too much meat constipates me and gives me indigestion so I like to eat a lot of fish and throw meat in accordingly. Pay attention to how you feel after eating certain foods and make your decisions accordingly.

Ox
06-22-10, 7:01 pm
I don't really have a question but, you looked great in your latest MD video. Keep that shit up broseph, I can't wait to see you compete again. You have so much potential it's retarded.

I appreciate that. Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing what I'm working for. Seeing the finished product is always exciting. (but getting there is still where it's at!)

Ox
06-22-10, 7:06 pm

Everyone feels differently about taking time off from training. I can only speak from my own personal experience but to begin with, I think a week is a long time to not train. I've done that before and when I go back I feel like shit! But some guys say they go back feeling like a million bucks. I've always found it more appropriate to take a day here or a couple days there. Or better yet, maybe try changing your training and only going to the gym a few days a week and cutting down on volume etc. Train differently. Do things you don't usually do. You may begin to feel more enthusiastic about training and make new realizations. The you can always go back to a more traditional split. Cycling your training isn't a bad idea. But then again, if you need some time off, then take it. Only you know how much time you need off and how often to take it.

Ox
06-22-10, 7:08 pm
your chest has improved so much from the last time i saw it =)

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/md-interviews/2986-evan-centopani-illinois-posing-routine-and-interview.html

It's still not one of my strong points but it I feel it is improving. Thanks.

Ox
06-22-10, 7:09 pm
Just watched your new video on MD from the guest posing at the Illinois show. Looking good bro. Very thick.. and your legs are blowing up huge!

Keep growing bro and Kai's time as Arnold champ are going to come to an end.

Much appreciated! Kai is a tremendous bodybuilder.

Ox
06-22-10, 7:12 pm
Sup bro! Finally settled in! Im in sunny Jalalabad Afghanistan, got 3 gyms... if they let me take stuff from each one it would make a pretty decent gym, for now I workout legs and back on one (good power rack) chest/arms/shoulders on the other and cardio on the new big gym. Got yesterday my Animal/Universal supplements and today got the shock of my life!!!

FUCKING BATTALION COMMANDER IS SENDING A FUCKING MEMO MAKING SUPPLEMENTS OFF-LIMITS!!!

WTF, a fellow SFC (Sergeant First Class) asked about protein shakes and he replied those are supplements too!!! I'm was so pissed off I had the best leg workout in more than a year! I just got 2 bottles of Pak, 2 of nitro, shock therapy, intrad, Torrent, a 10 lb bag of Cookies and Cream Ultra Iso Whey and Animal PM, to see if it helps me sleep, on night shift now and still not adjusting!

I'm sharpening the pen about to write a letter to my Rep if they publish that letter... I feel like a drug smuggler calling the wife to send me things inside cookie jars!!! ha ha ha...

Anyway, just dropping by to see hows it going and vent a little bit!!! Ill be more active around, lets see if I can take this old man in shape!

That's funny about the equipment...even at home you find some gyms where you love one piece and another gym with a unique piece and you wish they were all together in one gym! That blows about the supps! Tell em you guys need all the help you can get so you can kick some ass! HOW hot is it there?

Ox
06-22-10, 7:13 pm
Yo Ox

Just saw your new clip on the MD website, guest posing in Chicago and talking about your plans and goals for the upcoming year. Great video, you look fucking massive, especially your wheels. What percentage do you think your sitting at right there?

For what it's worth, I'm betting the farm that you have at least one Sandow in your future, if not the successor to Jay.

Thanks for that man. We'll see what happens. As for my bodyfat, I have no idea...I don't subscribe to that bullshit! You only look how you look.

Ox
06-22-10, 7:24 pm
Evan, do you believe that carbohydrates play a role in the actual BUILDING of muscle? i want your opinion, i already have Dave P's answer and i want to hear what you have to say.

Dave said "DP: Protein and fats are the building blocks of muscle and the processes that repair and build muscle. Carbs provide fuel for training and fuel for the repair process; but that's it!"

Dave is right in that they are not DIRECTLY used for muscle building. It's like painting a house. You might need a ladder to help you paint it but you do the actual painting with the paint and not the ladder. But without the ladder, maybe you'd only cover part of the house. Dave is right in what he's saying but just the same, he would never reccomend that a bodybuilder who is trying to grow, follow a ketogenic or very low carb diet. Carbs will certainly help you grow but from my understanding, carbohydrates are not actually used TO build muscle tissue.

Ox
06-22-10, 7:26 pm
would it be alright to sub out green beans, brocolli, or asparaguas instead of letuce or spinach all the time. thanks. my protien comes form the sakes and chicken, turkey, and fish. thanks again. this thread is awesome and good luck to you in your shows.

Yeah man, variety is the spice of life. Get a little crazy bro and have some asparagus instead of lettuce. Seal once said that "You know we're never gonna surviiiiiiiiiive, unnnless, we get a little crazy."

Ox
06-22-10, 7:27 pm
hey evan hope all is well

You too buddy! All is well here.

Ox
06-22-10, 7:27 pm
Hey evan. First of ll have to say awesome thread. So informative!
My question is if im using your cutting diet as a template and i'm going for 15g fat 40g protein per meal, with my egg meals 3 eggs gives me 15g fat but only 18g protein. How do you suggest i m ake up the additional protein grams? Should i add lean meat, egg whites, a shake or should i just do a couple of extra eggs and go over the fat prescription?

You can add some ground turkey!

Ox
06-22-10, 7:29 pm
Evan, amazing thread. So much knowledge gained off of only reading a couple pages. Thanks. But my question is, if i followed your base diet, do you ever eat red meat or just sub with different types of fish and chicken??? And while on it, is there a " cheat meal " for a carb up?? And once off how quickly do you add in the carbs??

I throw is red meat as I feel I need it. Same goes for the cheat meal/re-feed. If/when I flatten out or get overly depleted, I EAT.

andrewT
06-22-10, 8:02 pm
Hey Evan

hope all is well with training and the familia. I am starting to incorporate fresh fish into my diet. It is tasty and downright destroys frozen stuff like Tilapia.

I have been buying swordfish and salmon steaks. The swordfish is tasty but real pricey and supposedly high in mercury. What kind of fish do you usually opt for for bang for the buck and taste/protein levels.

Thanks and take care
Andrew

Maiden69
06-22-10, 8:30 pm
That's funny about the equipment...even at home you find some gyms where you love one piece and another gym with a unique piece and you wish they were all together in one gym! That blows about the supps! Tell em you guys need all the help you can get so you can kick some ass! HOW hot is it there?
I hear you... how hot???? FUCKING HOT... it was 120 on the outside thermometer (in the shade) when I woke up today... and I have been in Texas at about 116 and this blows Texas away! Supper dry heat, and the wind that blows by feels hotter than the temp so there is no relief. I'm working nights, thankfully, and I go to workout in the last 4 hrs of my shift, right at midnight so it doesn't feel that bad. About the supps, we haven't heard much about that issue anymore, I hope some one with common sense talk to them befose there was a formal IG complaint. Thanks for all the help Evan!

Ox
06-22-10, 9:48 pm
Hey Evan

hope all is well with training and the familia. I am starting to incorporate fresh fish into my diet. It is tasty and downright destroys frozen stuff like Tilapia.

I have been buying swordfish and salmon steaks. The swordfish is tasty but real pricey and supposedly high in mercury. What kind of fish do you usually opt for for bang for the buck and taste/protein levels.

Thanks and take care
Andrew

If you're worried about mercury, stay away from Tuna and Swordfish in particular....any large fish really. The best stuff to stick with is sole, fluke, flounder, and hake.

Ox
06-22-10, 9:50 pm
I hear you... how hot???? FUCKING HOT... it was 120 on the outside thermometer (in the shade) when I woke up today... and I have been in Texas at about 116 and this blows Texas away! Supper dry heat, and the wind that blows by feels hotter than the temp so there is no relief. I'm working nights, thankfully, and I go to workout in the last 4 hrs of my shift, right at midnight so it doesn't feel that bad. About the supps, we haven't heard much about that issue anymore, I hope some one with common sense talk to them befose there was a formal IG complaint. Thanks for all the help Evan!

Bro, I sweat my nuts off in the gym when it's in the mid to high 80s so I don't know how you guys train in that shit! Shit, a scorching breeze!

B.C.
06-22-10, 10:56 pm
Bro, I sweat my nuts off in the gym when it's in the mid to high 80s so I don't know how you guys train in that shit! Shit, a scorching breeze!

It hurts to even breathe sometimes over there. No wonder those mid-eastern guys have been fighting each other for centuries. That heat seriously just pisses you off. It's unexplainable really. At night--it's STILL 90+!

Maiden69
06-23-10, 6:12 pm
during the day the gym with 3 AC units stays at about 85, and that is cold! At night when Im working out its at High 70's to low 80's.

It hurts to even breathe sometimes over there. No wonder those mid-eastern guys have been fighting each other for centuries. That heat seriously just pisses you off. It's unexplainable really. At night--it's STILL 90+!Yes it does... I use to hate the rain, now I can't wait for it to come down!!! The only nights that are cool are the ones following a day of rain, but the next day once sucks!!! Steam heat everywhere! As you say, just breathing in that heat is hard! And my tour just began... 10 more months of this shit!!! At least we do get a little bit of winter where Im at...

B.C.
06-23-10, 8:33 pm
during the day the gym with 3 AC units stays at about 85, and that is cold! At night when Im working out its at High 70's to low 80's.
Yes it does... I use to hate the rain, now I can't wait for it to come down!!! The only nights that are cool are the ones following a day of rain, but the next day once sucks!!! Steam heat everywhere! As you say, just breathing in that heat is hard! And my tour just began... 10 more months of this shit!!! At least we do get a little bit of winter where Im at...

It got cold for a few months where I was at too...like 50's at night. It feels a lot colder than it sounds after spending a few months at 120+ all fucking day. The only good thing about being over there is the gym, and how much more I can dedicate myself to it. Should be about time for me to go back I guess.

TheAnima!Packist
06-24-10, 11:41 am
Ox, I follow your "go to the edge" teachings, but what type of meals would you recommend? I am 218 going for 250, is carb loading the way to go, more protien??

Late, Pack

Maiden69
06-24-10, 12:49 pm
It got cold for a few months where I was at too...like 50's at night. It feels a lot colder than it sounds after spending a few months at 120+ all fucking day. The only good thing about being over there is the gym, and how much more I can dedicate myself to it. Should be about time for me to go back I guess.

The TF we just RIP said that they had days that were in the 30's... so I hope it is close to that, I dnt mind dressing up more.

Gym time for me is just 2 hrs, including time to go change, shower, etc... the only thing I can't get in right now is my meals, the DFAC is open 24hr, but I'm missing 2 solid meals out of the 4 because of my schedule... Im sleeping thru Bfast and Lunch. Im drinking 3 shakes with about 60g protein and 1/2 cup of oats in addition to 2 solid meals. SO nutrition wise, it blows for me, and I dnt really feel like getting out of the hut to walk to eat lunch at 120 degrees, I doubt I will fall asleep again after that and I was averaging 3-4 hrs a day until I got my Animal PM, plus another sleeping aid... sucks to sleep daytime here!!

TheAnima!Packist
06-24-10, 2:39 pm
The TF we just RIP said that they had days that were in the 30's... so I hope it is close to that, I dnt mind dressing up more.

Gym time for me is just 2 hrs, including time to go change, shower, etc... the only thing I can't get in right now is my meals, the DFAC is open 24hr, but I'm missing 2 solid meals out of the 4 because of my schedule... Im sleeping thru Bfast and Lunch. Im drinking 3 shakes with about 60g protein and 1/2 cup of oats in addition to 2 solid meals. SO nutrition wise, it blows for me, and I dnt really feel like getting out of the hut to walk to eat lunch at 120 degrees, I doubt I will fall asleep again after that and I was averaging 3-4 hrs a day until I got my Animal PM, plus another sleeping aid... sucks to sleep daytime here!!

Yea life for you guys in the suck has to blow, what type of routine you follow for that harsh weather?

Maiden69
06-24-10, 5:52 pm
Yea life for you guys in the suck has to blow, what type of routine you follow for that harsh weather?

Im on a 12 day rotation from a member here Hola Bola, Im going to cut it there so we dnt cluster Ox's thread... once I get my Journey running again I'll see if I can throw a link... But you can read my old Journey in my sig, the routine is there also.

nickeas88
06-26-10, 5:10 am
Hey Evan.. I had a question.. When I get back in the states, and am able to bodybuild again, should I weigh my steaks or meat before I cook it, or after? Or should I just eye it, and make adjustments as needed? Also, I can't thank you enough for everything..

LCPL Nickeas
1-2 C co

RIP MATT

The Misfit
06-26-10, 6:26 am
Ox.

Would like your opinion on sesame seed oil. Is it a suitable substitute on keto?
Have been on keto for 8 weeks..it's going good. Main source of fats comes from almonds. Would like to dash some sesame seed oil on the greens for some extra flavor.

Thank you.

Ox
06-28-10, 9:58 pm
It hurts to even breathe sometimes over there. No wonder those mid-eastern guys have been fighting each other for centuries. That heat seriously just pisses you off. It's unexplainable really. At night--it's STILL 90+!

No shit right! The heat around here can make people a little crazy I can't imagine over there! 90+ at night?! That's kind of how I imagine...Hell.

Ox
06-28-10, 10:01 pm
Yes it does... I use to hate the rain, now I can't wait for it to come down!!! The only nights that are cool are the ones following a day of rain, but the next day once sucks!!! Steam heat everywhere! As you say, just breathing in that heat is hard! And my tour just began... 10 more months of this shit!!! At least we do get a little bit of winter where Im at...

Damn man, I give you guys a lot of respect. It takes a lot of balls to tuff it through all that over there.

Ox
06-28-10, 10:05 pm
Ox, I follow your "go to the edge" teachings, but what type of meals would you recommend? I am 218 going for 250, is carb loading the way to go, more protien??

Late, Pack

When you're training hard and pushing the envelop, you need to know when to pull back. Just like with training, you may deadlift heavy for weeks straight but then have a week where you feel shot and maybe you skip em. Same goes for diet, you may be strict as hell with your diet but sometimes, the cleanest food isn't cutting it and you just NEED some crap like a burger and fries for example. You body will crave the sodium and fat and protein and carbs and all that shit and you gotta let it have it. But this is only when it's NECESSARY. YOU have to be the judge as to how you need to eat when. For example, if it's a day off and you're just sitting around and maybe you're not that hungry, don;t go forcing carbs (or anything else for that matter) down your throat that you don't feel like your body needs. But some days it may be a day off and you squatted your balls off the day before and you wake up starving. You gotta eat. It's all about paying attention to what you need at the appropriate time.

Ox
06-28-10, 10:07 pm
Im on a 12 day rotation from a member here Hola Bola, Im going to cut it there so we dnt cluster Ox's thread... once I get my Journey running again I'll see if I can throw a link... But you can read my old Journey in my sig, the routine is there also.

Nah man screw that. I was wondering the same thing. Let's hear it.

Ox
06-28-10, 10:09 pm
Hey Evan.. I had a question.. When I get back in the states, and am able to bodybuild again, should I weigh my steaks or meat before I cook it, or after? Or should I just eye it, and make adjustments as needed? Also, I can't thank you enough for everything..

LCPL Nickeas
1-2 C co

RIP MATT

Hey buddy. Did you get what I sent you? Hope it made there safe and sound. As for weighing the food, you should weigh it after. Here's a good site for all the nutrition/macro values: www.nutritiondata.com

Ox
06-28-10, 10:09 pm
Ox.

Would like your opinion on sesame seed oil. Is it a suitable substitute on keto?
Have been on keto for 8 weeks..it's going good. Main source of fats comes from almonds. Would like to dash some sesame seed oil on the greens for some extra flavor.

Thank you.

By all means!

Max-Angle
06-29-10, 1:32 am
No shit right! The heat around here can make people a little crazy I can't imagine over there! 90+ at night?! That's kind of how I imagine...Hell.

And thats where the "Animal" in us comes out, Heat brings the crazy people out of there shadows, i think its the exaustion does it really, if its over 90 out ask me to do some chores and i just get pissed.

Maiden69
06-29-10, 2:37 pm
Nah man screw that. I was wondering the same thing. Let's hear it.

OK, it is a 3 days on 1 off rotation, you work each body part 3 times in the 12 days. It is a mirror of Holas, I just changed legs WO.

1. Bi-Tri
2. Quad-Ham-Cal
3. Back
4. Rest
5. Chest-Shoulder
6. Quad-Cal
7. Bi-Tri
8. Rest
9. Back
10. Ham-Cal
11. Chest-Shoulder
12. Rest
... Repeat

I think that Im going to change to a once a week 4 or 5 on, since I'm beggining to feel exhausted, Im not eating too many carbs (which is the main reason Im sure other than the heat), but trying to lose some fat before I go to PR for R&R in 3 weeks. On rest days are the only days that Im doing cardio and then it is 45 min on the elliptical at about 130-135 bpm followed by about 30 min abs.

Diet sucks here! well not diet but food choices. There is a lot of chicken, but it is 90% of the time breaded and fried or baked to the point that it is like eating cardboard.I hear food in Iraq is better but never been there to say if it is true. I can't stomach the tuna they serve here... dnt know why, because I use to love tuna! And all that they have on my breaks is the cold-cuts section, and the only good thing low on fat is the turkey which everybody kills before I get there. I have been eating a lot of pastrami, I guess most of the guys here dnt like it, I know it got a lot of fat in it, but it is not bologna. Other than that, I get about 120-160gm of protein from Uni Iso shakes and Torrent after the WO.

I plan on making a big grocery shopping when Im in PR and send it here by mail, and then show my mom what Im buying so that she can send me things monthly, then I hope to be able to get somewhere!

Thanks Evan!

TheAnima!Packist
06-29-10, 4:31 pm
OK, it is a 3 days on 1 off rotation, you work each body part 3 times in the 12 days. It is a mirror of Holas, I just changed legs WO.

1. Bi-Tri
2. Quad-Ham-Cal
3. Back
4. Rest
5. Chest-Shoulder
6. Quad-Cal
7. Bi-Tri
8. Rest
9. Back
10. Ham-Cal
11. Chest-Shoulder
12. Rest
... Repeat

I think that Im going to change to a once a week 4 or 5 on, since I'm beggining to feel exhausted, Im not eating too many carbs (which is the main reason Im sure other than the heat), but trying to lose some fat before I go to PR for R&R in 3 weeks. On rest days are the only days that Im doing cardio and then it is 45 min on the elliptical at about 130-135 bpm followed by about 30 min abs.

Diet sucks here! well not diet but food choices. There is a lot of chicken, but it is 90% of the time breaded and fried or baked to the point that it is like eating cardboard.I hear food in Iraq is better but never been there to say if it is true. I can't stomach the tuna they serve here... dnt know why, because I use to love tuna! And all that they have on my breaks is the cold-cuts section, and the only good thing low on fat is the turkey which everybody kills before I get there. I have been eating a lot of pastrami, I guess most of the guys here dnt like it, I know it got a lot of fat in it, but it is not bologna. Other than that, I get about 120-160gm of protein from Uni Iso shakes and Torrent after the WO.

I plan on making a big grocery shopping when Im in PR and send it here by mail, and then show my mom what Im buying so that she can send me things monthly, then I hope to be able to get somewhere!

Thanks Evan!

Nice Routine, I might have to try that for a cut stage.

Ox
07-03-10, 8:51 pm
And thats where the "Animal" in us comes out, Heat brings the crazy people out of there shadows, i think its the exaustion does it really, if its over 90 out ask me to do some chores and i just get pissed.

Fuckin chores!

Ox
07-03-10, 8:53 pm

1. Bi-Tri
2. Quad-Ham-Cal
3. Back
4. Rest
5. Chest-Shoulder
6. Quad-Cal
7. Bi-Tri
8. Rest
9. Back
10. Ham-Cal
11. Chest-Shoulder
12. Rest
... Repeat

Thanks Evan!

Damn man that's some serious dedication. And that sucks about the food choices...that would break my heart! I'd rather find rocks to use for weights than have to deal with lousy food! Just imagine how good you'll be when you get back home and can eat good food!

mg22
07-04-10, 7:10 am
Hey Ox - Was wondering what your opinion is on workout length? I workout 4 days a week and Im on a cut, so I do cardio right after weights (30 min). I eat my preworkout meal about 45 min before lifting (protein and carbs). My workouts lately have been running around 1.5 hours because I started training with a partner (so some of the time is spent loading weights, spotting, etc)..I read that a workout shouldnt last more than 45 min or muscle will start to break down because of elevated cortisol. Should I try shooting for 45-1 hour length and take a protein shake during the lifting session, then a pwo shake after cardio? What would you recommend and how long do your sessions last?

Thanks

Maiden69
07-04-10, 3:07 pm
Damn man that's some serious dedication. And that sucks about the food choices...that would break my heart! I'd rather find rocks to use for weights than have to deal with lousy food! Just imagine how good you'll be when you get back home and can eat good food!

Thats what Im going for right now. At 41 and starting this game so late, I dnt think that I can afford to lose too much time! Thanks bro, that routine has worked great for me everytime I have done it. I just feel very energized all the time. Im changing now for a regular once a week, 4 on 3 off while I go on R&R and once I get back Ill see what I can come up with.

TheAnima!Packist
07-05-10, 7:44 am
Maid how well does that routine respond to the current diet??

Late, Pack

Ox
07-05-10, 8:38 am
Hey Ox - Was wondering what your opinion is on workout length? I workout 4 days a week and Im on a cut, so I do cardio right after weights (30 min). I eat my preworkout meal about 45 min before lifting (protein and carbs). My workouts lately have been running around 1.5 hours because I started training with a partner (so some of the time is spent loading weights, spotting, etc)..I read that a workout shouldnt last more than 45 min or muscle will start to break down because of elevated cortisol. Should I try shooting for 45-1 hour length and take a protein shake during the lifting session, then a pwo shake after cardio? What would you recommend and how long do your sessions last?

Thanks

I'd say that unless you're behind in your progress, don't do cardio PWO. It makes it too long and you don't get the same recuperation after training. IF you can, either do your cardio in the morning or later after you train and have had a few meals. For me, I try to limit training to an hour.

Ox
07-05-10, 8:41 am
Thats what Im going for right now. At 41 and starting this game so late, I dnt think that I can afford to lose too much time! Thanks bro, that routine has worked great for me everytime I have done it. I just feel very energized all the time. Im changing now for a regular once a week, 4 on 3 off while I go on R&R and once I get back Ill see what I can come up with.

Sounds good man. Stay tough.

AntoineV
07-05-10, 2:19 pm
Hey OX what's up hope you are doing well.

Just wondering, what is your favorite exercice for biceps and triceps lately?

Maiden69
07-05-10, 3:03 pm
Maid how well does that routine respond to the current diet??

Late, Pack
I leaned out pretty quick last time and strenght went up instead of down, but the diet was good and clean. As far as now, with what Im eating Im responding well, but Im draggin ass the rest of the day. I surely need more solid food than what Im eating.

Sounds good man. Stay tough.

Always bro!

Ozzy27
07-09-10, 2:50 pm
Hi Evan,

Saw your video on MD, where you train legs.
I was a little bit skeptical about your "wide stance" opinion on squat. Then on leg day I incorporate them on my schedule, and I have to say... Wow! It really destroyed my legs and made me sore for 3 days. I really think it's a bless have this forum and all the videos and seminar stuff, having chance to share tips with pros.

And by the way I can't wait to see you come up strong next year!

Keep it up mate.

believe in the dream
07-12-10, 4:15 pm
Ox, saw you at the Branch Warren Classic and damn bro, I was blown away. Definetly amazing work and I can't wait to see where the finished product takes you to.
I'm definetly jumping on the bandwagon and I know we'll be seeing you up on that Olympia stage competing for that top spot very soon.
keep up the work brother

C.Coronato
07-12-10, 4:20 pm
Looking forward to coming up to your stomping grounds in a few weeks my man. Always a good time in CT.

Ox
07-12-10, 8:57 pm
Hey OX what's up hope you are doing well.

Just wondering, what is your favorite exercice for biceps and triceps lately?

Antoine! A long overdue welcome! Everything is going well. For bicep training lately I'm loving heavy dumbell preacher curls and for triceps, as always, barbell skullcrushers.

Ox
07-12-10, 8:58 pm
Hi Evan,

Saw your video on MD, where you train legs.
I was a little bit skeptical about your "wide stance" opinion on squat. Then on leg day I incorporate them on my schedule, and I have to say... Wow! It really destroyed my legs and made me sore for 3 days. I really think it's a bless have this forum and all the videos and seminar stuff, having chance to share tips with pros.

And by the way I can't wait to see you come up strong next year!

Keep it up mate.

Glad you found it useful! Yeah man, I'm SORE every time. And the forvm is a great opportunity to talk to people...something I wish I had when I was figuring things out through trial and error!

Ox
07-12-10, 8:59 pm
Ox, saw you at the Branch Warren Classic and damn bro, I was blown away. Definetly amazing work and I can't wait to see where the finished product takes you to.
I'm definetly jumping on the bandwagon and I know we'll be seeing you up on that Olympia stage competing for that top spot very soon.
keep up the work brother

Thanks man I appreciate that. I look forward to seeing a finished product come the Arnold. Thanks again man.

Ox
07-12-10, 9:00 pm
Looking forward to coming up to your stomping grounds in a few weeks my man. Always a good time in CT.

Yeahhhh buddyyyy! See you soon man. How you feeling?

Ox
07-12-10, 9:05 pm

And a HUGE CONGRATS on a stellar performance at Team U. That's damn impressive.

Littlefry
07-12-10, 9:55 pm
Saw you posing video at the Branch Classic up on MD TV. Looking big and incharge. You definetely are staying leaner this offseason and looking good. Looks like you have brought your chest up alot this offseason, a noticable improvement.

Ox
07-13-10, 8:00 am
Saw you posing video at the Branch Classic up on MD TV. Looking big and incharge. You definetely are staying leaner this offseason and looking good. Looks like you have brought your chest up alot this offseason, a noticable improvement.

Thanks. Believe it or not, I'm 10 pounds lighter at that guest posing than I've been. Been easing off on the food and letting my body get a rest before I begin my Arnold prep. But it makes me really happy to hear that I'm looking improved! Thanks man.

The Misfit
07-13-10, 8:19 am
Watched your leg training video with Fouad on MD...

Evan attempts to sign belt.

Evan: "belts are for pussies"

haha. Lmfao. Not that I have anything against belts (I may get to using one in the future) but you have to admit lmfao.

Ox
07-13-10, 11:21 pm
Watched your leg training video with Fouad on MD...

Evan attempts to sign belt.

Evan: "belts are for pussies"

haha. Lmfao. Not that I have anything against belts (I may get to using one in the future) but you have to admit lmfao.

Hahahah I was just breaking balls. I think that anyone who feels more stable/secure wearing a belt should definitely use one.

C.Coronato
07-14-10, 10:06 am
Yeahhhh buddyyyy! See you soon man. How you feeling?

And a HUGE CONGRATS on a stellar performance at Team U. That's damn impressive.

Very much appreciated brotha. Im feeling really good right now, just taking a week off to rest and recoup and get ready to train again. I started a very lean bulk and will continue it until March or so of next year and then get ready for Team U 2011. Excited and more motivated then ever!

Littlefry
07-14-10, 11:01 am
Thanks. Believe it or not, I'm 10 pounds lighter at that guest posing than I've been. Been easing off on the food and letting my body get a rest before I begin my Arnold prep. But it makes me really happy to hear that I'm looking improved! Thanks man.

Yea, it lets you kind of know that all that hard work and detication you put into life and lifting is paying off. Will you be getting more videos up as your contest prep starts?

Ox
07-15-10, 9:15 am
Very much appreciated brotha. Im feeling really good right now, just taking a week off to rest and recoup and get ready to train again. I started a very lean bulk and will continue it until March or so of next year and then get ready for Team U 2011. Excited and more motivated then ever!

I'll bet you that this offseason will be the best one you've had so far. See you in Hartford bro.

Ox
07-15-10, 9:16 am
Yea, it lets you kind of know that all that hard work and detication you put into life and lifting is paying off. Will you be getting more videos up as your contest prep starts?

I am hoping to have more video footage of my prep for the Arnold.

AntoineV
07-15-10, 3:43 pm
Antoine! A long overdue welcome! Everything is going well. For bicep training lately I'm loving heavy dumbell preacher curls and for triceps, as always, barbell skullcrushers.

Thanks for the tips bro! I often look to some of your pics before doing arm day. I will try to improve them alot this year!!

yes really happy to be part of the team!! peace..

AntoineV
07-15-10, 3:45 pm
I am hoping to have more video footage of my prep for the Arnold.

Looking foward to seeing that!!! Personally seeing up to date videos of the pros I look up to is one of the most motivating things for me!!!

alquemy
07-16-10, 6:47 pm
Just started reading this thread...AWESOME!

Yo Ox...I checked out your site a little while back, read your bio, and was like "I know what you mean!" I was that fat kid, too...got into bodybuilding after a football injury in high school, but instead of sticking with it I went rock n roll in my twenties (i.e. almost no exercise, LOTS of smoke, booze, and bad decisions). I got fit a couple of years ago, only to get fat again because of a recent knee injury and subsequent surgery.

I just started dieting a week or so ago, getting back into the mode, lurking the forums for inspiration, and here you are! I've been reading about your keto method for pre-contest dieting and I think I'll give it a try once I hit a plateau with my current program.

Congratulations on all your recent success, and thanks again for this thread. I'm sure I'll be hittin' ya up for tips in the near and distant future!

Al

Ox
07-17-10, 9:24 am
Thanks for the tips bro! I often look to some of your pics before doing arm day. I will try to improve them alot this year!!

yes really happy to be part of the team!! peace..

Damn bro I'm flattered. I'm sure your arms will come up...you don't seem to have any problem growing any other bodyparts!

Ox
07-17-10, 9:25 am
Looking foward to seeing that!!! Personally seeing up to date videos of the pros I look up to is one of the most motivating things for me!!!

I like video too. It brings things to life and allows you to get a TRUE sense of the person and what they are doing.

Ox
07-17-10, 9:28 am
Just started reading this thread...AWESOME!

Yo Ox...I checked out your site a little while back, read your bio, and was like "I know what you mean!" I was that fat kid, too...got into bodybuilding after a football injury in high school, but instead of sticking with it I went rock n roll in my twenties (i.e. almost no exercise, LOTS of smoke, booze, and bad decisions). I got fit a couple of years ago, only to get fat again because of a recent knee injury and subsequent surgery.

I just started dieting a week or so ago, getting back into the mode, lurking the forums for inspiration, and here you are! I've been reading about your keto method for pre-contest dieting and I think I'll give it a try once I hit a plateau with my current program.

Congratulations on all your recent success, and thanks again for this thread. I'm sure I'll be hittin' ya up for tips in the near and distant future!

Al

Hey man congrats on getting started on working on your goal! The first step is always the hardest. You've been there before so I'm sure you'll have no problem getting to where you want to be. Thanks man and keep me updated on your progress.

cap527
07-19-10, 10:54 am
hey ox, i was just curious about my current training split. i am not sure if its what is best for gaining mass or not.

monday: chest/bis
tuesday:back/tris
wednesday:legs/shoulders/traps
thursday:off
friday:chest/bis
saturday:back/tris
sunday:off

then the next week would begin with legs and rotate etc.

i usually do 4 different things for each larger muscle and then 3 for the smaller muscles. i do 3 sets of 8-12 reps depending on how the weight i am using feels that particular day. how does that split look? is that good for mass? or should i switch to one day per bodypart per week? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ox
07-19-10, 10:33 pm
hey ox, i was just curious about my current training split. i am not sure if its what is best for gaining mass or not.

monday: chest/bis
tuesday:back/tris
wednesday:legs/shoulders/traps
thursday:off
friday:chest/bis
saturday:back/tris
sunday:off

then the next week would begin with legs and rotate etc.

i usually do 4 different things for each larger muscle and then 3 for the smaller muscles. i do 3 sets of 8-12 reps depending on how the weight i am using feels that particular day. how does that split look? is that good for mass? or should i switch to one day per bodypart per week? any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're getting bigger and stronger then it's perfect! Otherwise, you could try doing one bodypart per day per week. I've always had success with that but if what you're doing is working, then don't even think about changing it. For me, personally, I wouldn't train my back before legs...it would just kill my leg training doing the two largest muscle groups back to back. But that's just me.

stormin
07-20-10, 1:22 am
Hey Ox,
Great to see a young guy like yourself chasing his dream with grounded determination. Had to admit ,while sitting in an air terminal in China, checked out the MD vid; unfrigginbelievable. Great to see you offer such solid advice to folks on the forum.
If not too jet-lagged on Saturday coming in from Japan I hope to make the Hartford ABC. Hopefully pick up some points and motivation for this old dog ! Never been to a competition let alone an ABC. Should be interesting.
Best of luck in your journey.
Norman

Ox
07-20-10, 8:45 am
Hey Ox,
Great to see a young guy like yourself chasing his dream with grounded determination. Had to admit ,while sitting in an air terminal in China, checked out the MD vid; unfrigginbelievable. Great to see you offer such solid advice to folks on the forum.
If not too jet-lagged on Saturday coming in from Japan I hope to make the Hartford ABC. Hopefully pick up some points and motivation for this old dog ! Never been to a competition let alone an ABC. Should be interesting.
Best of luck in your journey.
Norman

Thanks man. Hope to see you there!

tommo637
07-23-10, 10:39 pm
Evan, I have just finished reading your thread and picked up lots of great tips. I have also decided it is time to put it out there and ask for some advice, feel free to refer me to someone else if this isn't what this thread is for. Ok I competed twice last year in natural bodybuilding and I did ok but I did little cardio and went low carb high fat. I came 3rd last September and u can tell by my face on stage I wasn't happy, because I realised that day I hadn't worked hard enough. here are some pics from 09, some from April some from Sep (I am centre on 1st one) :

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/tom_6777/BB%20pics/?action=view&current=AC094.jpg

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/tom_6777/BB%20pics/?action=view&current=SA177.jpg

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/tom_6777/BB%20pics/?action=view&current=back.jpg

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/tom_6777/BB%20pics/?action=view&current=2weeksout.jpg

The past 10 months have been the best of my training/diet ever and I am currently 9 weeks out from the same show, 7 weeks into a diet with lots of cardio and much cleaner and more consistent than last year, I am 10 lbs bigger overall and close to my level of leaness at comp time. And my legs, well lets just say I have some now and they aren't half bad. I might chuck some current pics up soon cos I am feeling good with the whole package now.

I have already asked C.Coronato for some tips about tanning and carb/water in the final week, as these are very grey areas for me I just sorta read some stuff online and tried it out. This time I wana be able to smile up there and enjoy it, not feel flat and shit. I would post my diet here but I think this post is long enough already, so anyway if you reckon you might be able to help me out or pass me on to someone who can I really appreciate it. Cos being "ok" is not an option this year, and this is certainly the place to ask about the specifics now that the major points are firmly in check..

Thankyou for taking the time to read, with respect

Tom

StayGold
07-26-10, 1:30 pm
Hey Ox. I really admire what you do brother. I wanted to thank you because I've received priceless information from this thread alone! I really liked the MD videos online about food preparation. I gotta say life is a whole lot easier when you don't have to cook each meal individually.

I watched a video recently, in which you were talking about Macadamia Nut Oil. I am interested in implementing it into some of my cooking. It only makes sense to me that since it has a lower smoke point than olive oil, it's flavor, as well as it's nutriotional benefits, can be utilized better.

My question is: Can I use Mac Nut Oil as if it were Olive Oil? As in putting a light coating on chicken or steak, then adding seasoning on top. I figure I'd ask the man who seemingly uses it a lot. haha Thanks Ox!

Ox
07-26-10, 7:37 pm
Evan, I have just finished reading your thread and picked up lots of great tips. I have also decided it is time to put it out there and ask for some advice, feel free to refer me to someone else if this isn't what this thread is for. Ok I competed twice last year in natural bodybuilding and I did ok but I did little cardio and went low carb high fat. I came 3rd last September and u can tell by my face on stage I wasn't happy, because I realised that day I hadn't worked hard enough. here are some pics from 09, some from April some from Sep (I am centre on 1st one) :

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/tom_6777/BB%20pics/?action=view&current=AC094.jpg

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/tom_6777/BB%20pics/?action=view&current=SA177.jpg

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/tom_6777/BB%20pics/?action=view&current=back.jpg

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/tom_6777/BB%20pics/?action=view&current=2weeksout.jpg

The past 10 months have been the best of my training/diet ever and I am currently 9 weeks out from the same show, 7 weeks into a diet with lots of cardio and much cleaner and more consistent than last year, I am 10 lbs bigger overall and close to my level of leaness at comp time. And my legs, well lets just say I have some now and they aren't half bad. I might chuck some current pics up soon cos I am feeling good with the whole package now.

I have already asked C.Coronato for some tips about tanning and carb/water in the final week, as these are very grey areas for me I just sorta read some stuff online and tried it out. This time I wana be able to smile up there and enjoy it, not feel flat and shit. I would post my diet here but I think this post is long enough already, so anyway if you reckon you might be able to help me out or pass me on to someone who can I really appreciate it. Cos being "ok" is not an option this year, and this is certainly the place to ask about the specifics now that the major points are firmly in check..

Thankyou for taking the time to read, with respect

Tom

Well what would you like to know?

Ox
07-26-10, 7:38 pm
Hey Ox. I really admire what you do brother. I wanted to thank you because I've received priceless information from this thread alone! I really liked the MD videos online about food preparation. I gotta say life is a whole lot easier when you don't have to cook each meal individually.

I watched a video recently, in which you were talking about Macadamia Nut Oil. I am interested in implementing it into some of my cooking. It only makes sense to me that since it has a lower smoke point than olive oil, it's flavor, as well as it's nutriotional benefits, can be utilized better.

My question is: Can I use Mac Nut Oil as if it were Olive Oil? As in putting a light coating on chicken or steak, then adding seasoning on top. I figure I'd ask the man who seemingly uses it a lot. haha Thanks Ox!

You can use mac nut oil the same way you would use olive oil. Peace.

Big C
07-26-10, 7:45 pm
Yo whatup big brother.

Got a major issue with my right hamstring....it "popped" doing heavy deads a few weeks back and now the only exercises that bother it are heavy bent rows and deads. I know how important those are but I guess I will take a few weeks off those movements.

I did legs this past weekend and no hamstring movements bothered it.

Ever have any problems with that muscle ....what would you suggest brotha?

tommo637
07-27-10, 4:30 am
Well what would you like to know?

I would like to ask about dietary fats vs EFA's. My diet has plenty and varied EFA's but almost no dietary fat and it is working really well. Do EFA's have the same effect as dietary fats ie. slow insulin response? I love good fats but I have used too much in the past.

My carbs are the same each day 200g low GI over first 4 meals, I am considering adding a "refeed" however I don't want to have extra carbs I don't need as my diet is working. What is the main purpose of a refeed day?

In the final week I have flushed then dehydrated for 24 hrs before the show, no good. I am planning to keep drinking plenty water all the way through maybe taper off a bit in final 24 hours. Any basic advice on the water/(sodium) front?

Also is there a best time of day to have the extra carbs in the days leading up to show?

I tend to crap on, if any of the questions are too miniscule to worry about for a beginner just ignore them and I will stop worrying about them.

Thanks for your time.

nickeas88
07-29-10, 5:29 am
Hey Evan, how's things? I should be home in a couple weeks.. I have to get my shoulder looked at, but after that I look forward to training.. Once again, thank you, and you know for what..

I had a question for you, maybe you have some intel regarding it.. Where is Wrath at these days? What is he up to? Do you guys talk? How come he doesn't have a question/answer forum under "ask the animals" on here? He looks like a serious dude..

Anyway, I hope to talk more with you soon my brother..

C.Coronato
07-29-10, 10:13 am
Good to see you over the weekend on your home turf. Looking forward to seeing you on stage again brother.

Ox
07-30-10, 6:34 am
Yo whatup big brother.

Got a major issue with my right hamstring....it "popped" doing heavy deads a few weeks back and now the only exercises that bother it are heavy bent rows and deads. I know how important those are but I guess I will take a few weeks off those movements.

I did legs this past weekend and no hamstring movements bothered it.

Ever have any problems with that muscle ....what would you suggest brotha?

Big C! Fortunately, I've never experienced that. But I would do exactly what you're doing now and just give it some rest. Don't try and stretch it or anything. Ease back into it and your body will tell you when it's ready. Good luck man!

felipelpr
07-31-10, 11:10 pm
How is it going, Mr Centopani?

I saw you at Branch Warren Classic posing (by video). Damn! You was always big, but your muscle quality is way better than last year! You will be definetly top5 in next arnold! Off-Season and ripped as I wish to be! You would have beaten Branch if it was a competition.

I was wondering how is your abs routine.
Do you think it is necessary to work abs more than once a week?

Thank you!

Ox
08-01-10, 9:43 pm
I would like to ask about dietary fats vs EFA's. My diet has plenty and varied EFA's but almost no dietary fat and it is working really well. Do EFA's have the same effect as dietary fats ie. slow insulin response? I love good fats but I have used too much in the past.

My carbs are the same each day 200g low GI over first 4 meals, I am considering adding a "refeed" however I don't want to have extra carbs I don't need as my diet is working. What is the main purpose of a refeed day?

In the final week I have flushed then dehydrated for 24 hrs before the show, no good. I am planning to keep drinking plenty water all the way through maybe taper off a bit in final 24 hours. Any basic advice on the water/(sodium) front?

Also is there a best time of day to have the extra carbs in the days leading up to show?

I tend to crap on, if any of the questions are too miniscule to worry about for a beginner just ignore them and I will stop worrying about them.

Thanks for your time.

If it's working really well then there isn't much to talk about! Keep doin what you're doin. So long as you get in those EFAs you're good. As for the sodium and water, I feel that you should conitnue to do what has you looking your best leading up to the show. No need to change things at the last minute. If you look great a week out, keep doing what you're doing. As for the extra carbs, have them when you feel your body needs them.

Ox
08-01-10, 9:46 pm
Hey Evan, how's things? I should be home in a couple weeks.. I have to get my shoulder looked at, but after that I look forward to training.. Once again, thank you, and you know for what..

I had a question for you, maybe you have some intel regarding it.. Where is Wrath at these days? What is he up to? Do you guys talk? How come he doesn't have a question/answer forum under "ask the animals" on here? He looks like a serious dude..

Anyway, I hope to talk more with you soon my brother..

Wrath...he's a man of mystery. I can't say because I'd only be detracting from the mystique he carries! But I can say that he's doing well and the dude always looks like a freak so that's not even a question. Why doesn't he answer questions? Because man, he's Wrath. He asks the questions! hahahaha

Ox
08-01-10, 9:47 pm
Good to see you over the weekend on your home turf. Looking forward to seeing you on stage again brother.

Hey man it was good to see you too. How was the bbq?

Ox
08-01-10, 9:48 pm
How is it going, Mr Centopani?

I saw you at Branch Warren Classic posing (by video). Damn! You was always big, but your muscle quality is way better than last year! You will be definetly top5 in next arnold! Off-Season and ripped as I wish to be! You would have beaten Branch if it was a competition.

I was wondering how is your abs routine.
Do you think it is necessary to work abs more than once a week?

Thank you!

Thanks man. I'm shooting for "better", not just more of the same. I don't think it's necessary to train anything more than once a week.

nickeas88
08-02-10, 12:31 am
Wrath...he's a man of mystery. I can't say because I'd only be detracting from the mystique he carries! But I can say that he's doing well and the dude always looks like a freak so that's not even a question. Why doesn't he answer questions? Because man, he's Wrath. He asks the questions! hahahaha

You know Evan, I can't say I'm disappointed with that answer.. Why? Because I expected something along those lines.. Man, that guy is freaky.. He needs to post some updated videos, or create a website or something.. Alright Evan, talk more soon brother..

alquemy
08-03-10, 2:12 am
Yo Ox...I started your world-famous keto diet a week ago and so far so good. I can't wait for the initial transition into ketosis to happen, cause today I started feeling a bit light-headed here and there. But it's great feeling light on my feet, and I already lost 4 pounds of water, so I'm stoked.

I read in previous posts that mayo is a no-no, so I was wondering what you thought of Vegenaise. Here's the list of ingredients:

Ingredients: Canola Oil, Filtered Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Brown Rice Syrup, Soy Protein, Sea Salt, Lemon Juice, and Mustard Flour.

It shows brown rice syrup but in the nutrition info it shows 0 carbs and 0 sugar. Here's the link:

http://www.followyourheart.com/products.php?id=3

I'm jonesing for mayo, and I actually like the taste of Vegenaise.

Sorry if this came up earlier, but it's taking me awhile to chip away at this thread (I'm at page 115!). I love this thread! Thanks, homie.

C.Coronato
08-03-10, 9:59 am
Hey man it was good to see you too. How was the bbq?

Not bad, not bad at all. A little run down place on the side of the road, with an old covered wagon out front. They defiantly were not ready for us, but we had the place to ourselves. It was a good time.

Ox
08-03-10, 11:02 am
Yo Ox...I started your world-famous keto diet a week ago and so far so good. I can't wait for the initial transition into ketosis to happen, cause today I started feeling a bit light-headed here and there. But it's great feeling light on my feet, and I already lost 4 pounds of water, so I'm stoked.

I read in previous posts that mayo is a no-no, so I was wondering what you thought of Vegenaise. Here's the list of ingredients:

Ingredients: Canola Oil, Filtered Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Brown Rice Syrup, Soy Protein, Sea Salt, Lemon Juice, and Mustard Flour.

It shows brown rice syrup but in the nutrition info it shows 0 carbs and 0 sugar. Here's the link:

http://www.followyourheart.com/products.php?id=3

I'm jonesing for mayo, and I actually like the taste of Vegenaise.

Sorry if this came up earlier, but it's taking me awhile to chip away at this thread (I'm at page 115!). I love this thread! Thanks, homie.

That's good man. I'd reccomend that using keto, you cycle it on and off. It's important A. to keep your body responsive to carbs and doing keto too long and screw that up. B. keep your metabolsim cranked and again keto can lower your metabolsim if done for too long and C. make sure you don't lose muscle. All that being said, if you;'re serious about getting in shape, forgo the mayo and save it for a re-feed/cheatmeal. They may be able to list it as having 0g because the amount of carbs in a tbsp is under a gram or below a certain amount.

Ox
08-03-10, 11:06 am
Not bad, not bad at all. A little run down place on the side of the road, with an old covered wagon out front. They defiantly were not ready for us, but we had the place to ourselves. It was a good time.

Hahaha...crappy little places are always the best. Were they like "...what the hell?" when all you guys walked in?

alquemy
08-03-10, 11:42 am
That's good man. I'd reccomend that using keto, you cycle it on and off. It's important A. to keep your body responsive to carbs and doing keto too long and screw that up. B. keep your metabolsim cranked and again keto can lower your metabolsim if done for too long and C. make sure you don't lose muscle. All that being said, if you;'re serious about getting in shape, forgo the mayo and save it for a re-feed/cheatmeal. They may be able to list it as having 0g because the amount of carbs in a tbsp is under a gram or below a certain amount.

Cool...thanks, man. I'm definitely serious about this, so I'll follow the guru and wait for my cheat meal for mayo (first one is MONDAY!).

alquemy
08-03-10, 9:23 pm
One last query regarding acceptable keto foods:

As a general rule, as long as it doesn't have sugar and/or carbs then a food (whole, unprocessed, organic when possible) is alright for keto, correct? I just went to the store and picked up nori (that black seaweed wrap for sushi), white onions, relish (no sugar, sweeteners, or carbs), and mushrooms. I'm just looking to add some variety to the veggies to stay sane.

Thanks again, Ox!

Littlefry
08-03-10, 11:47 pm
Hey Ox Ive been planning out my bulking diet for the last week or so, and had a couple question on supplements that you use during the offseason. I know in an older thread it said you used Pak, Omega, Nitro, IsoWhey, and Torrent. Im looking at basically using pretty much the same stack with some uni-liver thrown in. I was wondering do you still follow this stack for you current offseason? Or have you changed it up and tossed in some other extra supps?

Im planning on running 3 whole meals, with 3 shakes (whey+oats) alternating throughout the day. I know from some of your older MD vids you followed this type of dieting alternating shakes with whole food, but in some of your recent videos you said you where still using shakes but focusing more on the whole foods? In addition on did you count Torrent pwo as a meal?

Sorry for all the question just wanted to pick your brain a bit!

nickeas88
08-04-10, 1:11 am
Evan.. Whats your take on EAA supplementation vs BCAA? And also, for somebody who is in the beginning stages of "no shit" bulking, what kind of cardio would you recommend and how much of it weekly? Peace man.

C.Coronato
08-04-10, 9:46 am
Hahaha...crappy little places are always the best. Were they like "...what the hell?" when all you guys walked in?

Thats for sure. Coming from the culinary world, i have seen my share of different spots to eat, and the non-corporate ones always seem to do well. But yea, there was some young dude out back washing out coolers, and we all pulled up and he like dropped the cooler and ran in. They scrambled to try to put tables together to fit us all. But thats part of the experience i guess!

Ox
08-05-10, 8:12 am
One last query regarding acceptable keto foods:

As a general rule, as long as it doesn't have sugar and/or carbs then a food (whole, unprocessed, organic when possible) is alright for keto, correct? I just went to the store and picked up nori (that black seaweed wrap for sushi), white onions, relish (no sugar, sweeteners, or carbs), and mushrooms. I'm just looking to add some variety to the veggies to stay sane.

Thanks again, Ox!

Yup. But keep in mind, a small amount of non-starchy carbs from veggies is okay. You can still get in a small amount of carbs and still be in ketosis. For most people it's around 20g a day. But depending on the size of the person, metabolism, activity level etc, it's possible top eat upwards of 100g of carbs and still be in ketosis.

Ox
08-05-10, 8:14 am
Hey Ox Ive been planning out my bulking diet for the last week or so, and had a couple question on supplements that you use during the offseason. I know in an older thread it said you used Pak, Omega, Nitro, IsoWhey, and Torrent. Im looking at basically using pretty much the same stack with some uni-liver thrown in. I was wondering do you still follow this stack for you current offseason? Or have you changed it up and tossed in some other extra supps?

Im planning on running 3 whole meals, with 3 shakes (whey+oats) alternating throughout the day. I know from some of your older MD vids you followed this type of dieting alternating shakes with whole food, but in some of your recent videos you said you where still using shakes but focusing more on the whole foods? In addition on did you count Torrent pwo as a meal?

Sorry for all the question just wanted to pick your brain a bit!

The only change I've made is subsitituting EAA Nitro for Torrent (I save the Torrent for when I'm full on trying to put on size) and I'm not using protein powder right now. Not saying it's bad...I used them my whole career and had success but now I feel better with whole foods. Otherwise, it's the same. I don't count my PWO as a meal.

Ox
08-05-10, 8:18 am
Evan.. Whats your take on EAA supplementation vs BCAA? And also, for somebody who is in the beginning stages of "no shit" bulking, what kind of cardio would you recommend and how much of it weekly? Peace man.

BCAAs are great when dietting...using them intraworkout to boost energy, spare muscle and burn fat. Offseason, I find Nitro to be IDEAL intra and post workout. I use 4 paks with a scoop of EAA Nitro PWO. Granted, that's a lot and could become costly but I just mention it as a testament to how much I believe in animo supplementation. When trying to bulk, I'd still do a little cardio...maybe 20-30 min (not very challenging pace) 3 times a week. You need to keep your cardio function up because that allows you train that much harder!

Ox
08-05-10, 8:20 am
Thats for sure. Coming from the culinary world, i have seen my share of different spots to eat, and the non-corporate ones always seem to do well. But yea, there was some young dude out back washing out coolers, and we all pulled up and he like dropped the cooler and ran in. They scrambled to try to put tables together to fit us all. But thats part of the experience i guess!

Hahaha...he dropped the cooler and ran inside. The world would be a better place without corporate owned resturants. Hamburger joints like Wendy's and McDonalds should be grandfathered in and still allowed but that's it. Resturant franchises represent all that's wrong with our country!

nickeas88
08-05-10, 8:58 am
BCAAs are great when dietting...using them intraworkout to boost energy, spare muscle and burn fat. Offseason, I find Nitro to be IDEAL intra and post workout. I use 4 paks with a scoop of EAA Nitro PWO. Granted, that's a lot and could become costly but I just mention it as a testament to how much I believe in animo supplementation. When trying to bulk, I'd still do a little cardio...maybe 20-30 min (not very challenging pace) 3 times a week. You need to keep your cardio function up because that allows you train that much harder!

Hell yeh.. Thanks Evan!

Littlefry
08-05-10, 11:53 am
The only change I've made is subsitituting EAA Nitro for Torrent (I save the Torrent for when I'm full on trying to put on size) and I'm not using protein powder right now. Not saying it's bad...I used them my whole career and had success but now I feel better with whole foods. Otherwise, it's the same. I don't count my PWO as a meal.

Yea, I saw in a more recent MD vid you where saying you where relying on whole foods more this offseason and it makes sense.

alquemy
08-05-10, 6:38 pm
Yup. But keep in mind, a small amount of non-starchy carbs from veggies is okay. You can still get in a small amount of carbs and still be in ketosis. For most people it's around 20g a day. But depending on the size of the person, metabolism, activity level etc, it's possible top eat upwards of 100g of carbs and still be in ketosis.

Thanks again, Ox. Today I'm starting to actually feel a little "normal". It's been almost two weeks since I started, and I think ketosis started to kick in on Monday, the discomfort and lethargy peaking yesterday. I'm glad to be glimpsing the end of the kickoff...it's been rough!

I realize that I never gave you any stats:

Current weight: 246
Start weight: 250 (on my Journey I listed 248, but that was a scale I don't have access to anymore. Going forward I'm using the gym scale)
Bodyfat: never measured, but my best guess is 28-30%

I was 215 about a year ago, then I injured my knee while doing that insane CrossFit shit (torn mensicus, avascular necrosis) in October. Took it easy, had surgery in March, got fat during recovery, and now I'm back up in weight. I lost a lot of weight and got real fit doing CrossFit and eating a Paleo style diet (in case you don't know, it's no starch and dairy but without the carbohydrate restriction needed for ketosis), but what I didn't like about it was that my strength wasn't really improving like it used to and it seemed like I was losing muscle. So this time I want to diet down bodybuilding style and try to slowly lose fat and spare as much muscle and strength as I can. If possible in the next 16 weeks I'd like to get down to around 180-190, then do a bulk, then diet down again for summer. Even if I don't reach my goal weight by Thanksgiving I'll still end the diet then so as not to fuck up my metabolism.

I'm tired of still feeling like that fat kid from back in the day. Your personal story and this amazing thread has really kickstarted my motivation to get this done once and for all. No excuses!

Thanks again,
Al

Ox
08-07-10, 9:03 am
Yea, I saw in a more recent MD vid you where saying you where relying on whole foods more this offseason and it makes sense.

Right now it's what I'm doing. Things have changed often throughout the years and sometimes I end up going back to the beggining! I really do believe that at any given time, depending on your needs and a whole bunch of different variables, anything can work.

Ox
08-07-10, 9:08 am
Thanks again, Ox. Today I'm starting to actually feel a little "normal". It's been almost two weeks since I started, and I think ketosis started to kick in on Monday, the discomfort and lethargy peaking yesterday. I'm glad to be glimpsing the end of the kickoff...it's been rough!

I realize that I never gave you any stats:

Current weight: 246
Start weight: 250 (on my Journey I listed 248, but that was a scale I don't have access to anymore. Going forward I'm using the gym scale)
Bodyfat: never measured, but my best guess is 28-30%

I was 215 about a year ago, then I injured my knee while doing that insane CrossFit shit (torn mensicus, avascular necrosis) in October. Took it easy, had surgery in March, got fat during recovery, and now I'm back up in weight. I lost a lot of weight and got real fit doing CrossFit and eating a Paleo style diet (in case you don't know, it's no starch and dairy but without the carbohydrate restriction needed for ketosis), but what I didn't like about it was that my strength wasn't really improving like it used to and it seemed like I was losing muscle. So this time I want to diet down bodybuilding style and try to slowly lose fat and spare as much muscle and strength as I can. If possible in the next 16 weeks I'd like to get down to around 180-190, then do a bulk, then diet down again for summer. Even if I don't reach my goal weight by Thanksgiving I'll still end the diet then so as not to fuck up my metabolism.

I'm tired of still feeling like that fat kid from back in the day. Your personal story and this amazing thread has really kickstarted my motivation to get this done once and for all. No excuses!

Thanks again,
Al

Sorry to hear about the injury. If you had success with the paleo style diet but lost strength it may be possible that you will experience something similar with keto. Don't know how much fat you were consuming last time around but the strength loss may not be that bad if you keep your calories high enough. But like I said before, lthough it's good to limit starchy carb intake when trying to get lean, I'd still be sure to get in plenty of veggies and I'd also make sure to keep your body responsive to starchy carbs by including them periodically in re-feeds/cheats.

Either way, I'm sure you're going to get the results you're after! Best of luck. Keep me updated.

alquemy
08-07-10, 11:35 pm
Sorry to hear about the injury. If you had success with the paleo style diet but lost strength it may be possible that you will experience something similar with keto. Don't know how much fat you were consuming last time around but the strength loss may not be that bad if you keep your calories high enough. But like I said before, lthough it's good to limit starchy carb intake when trying to get lean, I'd still be sure to get in plenty of veggies and I'd also make sure to keep your body responsive to starchy carbs by including them periodically in re-feeds/cheats.

Either way, I'm sure you're going to get the results you're after! Best of luck. Keep me updated.

Now that I'm definitely out of the ketosis "haze" I can feel my energy level equalizing. Went in for a workout today and felt good and strong. The last time I dieted the fats weren't low but definitely not as high as I'm eating now (which is still not as high). I did my weekly weigh-in today and saw I'm down to 243, so I feel well on my way. I'm making a big-ass Hawaiian food cheat feast tomorrow evening for myself and some guests (on an unrelated note, one of the guests is "Brown" Mark, former bassist of Prince's "Purple Rain" band The Revolution..crazy!), so there's gonna be LOTS of rice eaten!

Hope to meet you someday at The Cage, most likely the Olympia next year, though you may be too busy to hang since you'll be handling that new Sandow of yours!

Thanks again....this thread rules.

Joseph V
08-08-10, 6:50 pm
good article and photoshoot i just read of you and branch warren..per bernal must be making mega bucks

my only cocner nis why make the faces lol when your lifting some weight

Ox
08-10-10, 8:30 am
Now that I'm definitely out of the ketosis "haze" I can feel my energy level equalizing. Went in for a workout today and felt good and strong. The last time I dieted the fats weren't low but definitely not as high as I'm eating now (which is still not as high). I did my weekly weigh-in today and saw I'm down to 243, so I feel well on my way. I'm making a big-ass Hawaiian food cheat feast tomorrow evening for myself and some guests (on an unrelated note, one of the guests is "Brown" Mark, former bassist of Prince's "Purple Rain" band The Revolution..crazy!), so there's gonna be LOTS of rice eaten!

Hope to meet you someday at The Cage, most likely the Olympia next year, though you may be too busy to hang since you'll be handling that new Sandow of yours!

Thanks again....this thread rules.

Hey man hope the dinner went well. Prince had some hits...yeah I'm not ashamed to say it. I'm not gonna lie, if "when doves cry" comes on the radio, I wouldn't change it. Anyways, hope to meet you too. Even if I'm comepting in the show, you'll still be able to find me at the booth. Keep up the good work.

Ox
08-10-10, 8:31 am
good article and photoshoot i just read of you and branch warren..per bernal must be making mega bucks

my only cocner nis why make the faces lol when your lifting some weight

Yeah, Per is a great photographer. The faces? It's to add to the effect of the photos. You don't like?

Joseph V
08-10-10, 1:38 pm
Yeah, Per is a great photographer. The faces? It's to add to the effect of the photos. You don't like?

no actually i do like it lol. ive just been curious for years since i picked up my first magazine.

great photoshoot again. its funny hen i think it was you or branch that said you werent so thrilled at first but then again you were in decent shape, and fromthe pictures you are. branch added o that by saying that he had a similar feeling to when he trained with victor for the MD in May when he was taking a brek and not as big and strong as branch normally is. and what irritated him was that victor made him look small lol

downtown
08-11-10, 6:18 am
Hey Evan, just watched your shoulder workoutvid at MD..Impressive and intense as usual !!!!

ontheEDGE
08-11-10, 8:30 pm
Great video man, I feel so inspired right now. Actually I feel like I don't train nearly heavy enough after watching that. I know heavy is whats heavy for me, but it looks like you are working real fucking hard...every set to failure. Is that the case, and is it every workout?

Ox
08-12-10, 9:35 am
no actually i do like it lol. ive just been curious for years since i picked up my first magazine.

great photoshoot again. its funny hen i think it was you or branch that said you werent so thrilled at first but then again you were in decent shape, and fromthe pictures you are. branch added o that by saying that he had a similar feeling to when he trained with victor for the MD in May when he was taking a brek and not as big and strong as branch normally is. and what irritated him was that victor made him look small lol

Hahaha...I hear ya. Sometimes I see the faces and am like "what the fuck is that?" As for shooting with Branch, the dude just came off a third place finish at the Arnold and was shredded. Me, on the other, I was deep in my offseason and not nearly at my best! I was afraid I was going o look like shit but the shoot was cool. Branch is a great dude and we had a lot of fun.

Ox
08-12-10, 9:35 am
Hey Evan, just watched your shoulder workoutvid at MD..Impressive and intense as usual !!!!

Thanks man. Just keepin it simple.

Ox
08-12-10, 9:37 am
Great video man, I feel so inspired right now. Actually I feel like I don't train nearly heavy enough after watching that. I know heavy is whats heavy for me, but it looks like you are working real fucking hard...every set to failure. Is that the case, and is it every workout?

Heavy is relative. What matters is that you push it. As for training closer to failure, it's become harder and harder for me not to. I began feeling like there wasn't much use in training unless I pushed myself pretty hard each set. For better or worse, that's pretty much how I always train.

ontheEDGE
08-12-10, 1:36 pm
Heavy is relative. What matters is that you push it. As for training closer to failure, it's become harder and harder for me not to. I began feeling like there wasn't much use in training unless I pushed myself pretty hard each set. For better or worse, that's pretty much how I always train.

Thanks Ox, today's workout was sick. Really motivated after your video an advice. Now I have a new standard for how my workouts should go.

alquemy
08-15-10, 3:54 am
Hey man hope the dinner went well. Prince had some hits...yeah I'm not ashamed to say it. I'm not gonna lie, if "when doves cry" comes on the radio, I wouldn't change it. Anyways, hope to meet you too. Even if I'm comepting in the show, you'll still be able to find me at the booth. Keep up the good work.

hahaha...I loved Prince when 1999 and Purple Rain was out, but I fell off when he stopped rockin' like that. Dinner went well, but homeboy flaked out! And in the future I won't be cooking my cheat meal...I just keep on eating! I think it'll be best if I eat out or order delivery to keep from really overeating.

I just picked up the recent issue of MD and saw a photo of you at that thing that happened at Bev Francis' gym (I think)...looking MASSIVE, man!

Ox
08-15-10, 11:12 am
Thanks Ox, today's workout was sick. Really motivated after your video an advice. Now I have a new standard for how my workouts should go.

Good shit! Just listen to your body and set your OWN standard.

Ox
08-15-10, 11:14 am
hahaha...I loved Prince when 1999 and Purple Rain was out, but I fell off when he stopped rockin' like that. Dinner went well, but homeboy flaked out! And in the future I won't be cooking my cheat meal...I just keep on eating! I think it'll be best if I eat out or order delivery to keep from really overeating.

I just picked up the recent issue of MD and saw a photo of you at that thing that happened at Bev Francis' gym (I think)...looking MASSIVE, man!

I remember when I first did keto...same happened to me...coouldn't stop eating! That's why I like to have re-feeds/carbs etc when I feel I need thm rather than scheduling a cheta meal and waiting for it no matter what.

Ghost26
08-20-10, 8:37 pm
quick question evan, how do you guys approach a lagging body part. Do you double the training on it, lessen the training, what do you do for a lagging body part before a comp to bring it up quickly. My biceps are lagging behind the rest of my body and its prob because i have long arms. Im 6 ft. 205 lbs and 18 years old. My arms measure out to 16 3/4. I know that if i could bring my biceps up it would make my arms look so much thicker. Thanks bro

Ox
08-21-10, 8:42 am
quick question evan, how do you guys approach a lagging body part. Do you double the training on it, lessen the training, what do you do for a lagging body part before a comp to bring it up quickly. My biceps are lagging behind the rest of my body and its prob because i have long arms. Im 6 ft. 205 lbs and 18 years old. My arms measure out to 16 3/4. I know that if i could bring my biceps up it would make my arms look so much thicker. Thanks bro

Typically, I increase the intensity and also rethink the movements I'm doing for it. Anything trained properly doesn't need to be done any more or less frequently.

Ghost26
08-21-10, 10:55 am
thanks bro for getting bak so quick, iv been training bis with chest forever now what do you think would be a good switch, im actually in need of a new routine and my goal now is strictly gaining weight nd thickening up. My current routine is chest bis, legs, off, back, shoulders tris, off, off

Ox
08-22-10, 9:23 am
thanks bro for getting bak so quick, iv been training bis with chest forever now what do you think would be a good switch, im actually in need of a new routine and my goal now is strictly gaining weight nd thickening up. My current routine is chest bis, legs, off, back, shoulders tris, off, off

Actually, I like your split. But if you feel you need a change then that's all there is to it. Not that it's a huge change but you could maybe do chest and tris and move biceps to shoulder day?

The Misfit
08-22-10, 10:50 am
Ox.

You much of a youtube man?

Your thoughts on this, "The beauty of bodybuilding" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kf6r0D3SEA

Ox
08-22-10, 11:26 am
Ox.

You much of a youtube man?

Your thoughts on this, "The beauty of bodybuilding" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kf6r0D3SEA

Awesome vid. The various commentary is the best part.

The Misfit
08-22-10, 12:22 pm
Great video indeed.

Ox.

Through your journey, thus far, how significant has overall mentality been?
Do you believe spirituality to be another contributor to "staying" in the pursuit for your goals and success/successes?

I think I maybe bordering on intimate (haha) but it's a change from asking questions associated with the physical aspects of the sport.

Flash419
08-22-10, 1:07 pm
Awesome vid. The various commentary is the best part.

I agree completely...

Kai says it all. Your body, your future.. all in your hands.

Looking forward to seeing Evan on stage beside him in Columbus. Animal might have to reschedule the National ABC so the Animal crew can attend the finals.

Ox
08-23-10, 9:12 am
Great video indeed.

Ox.

Through your journey, thus far, how significant has overall mentality been?
Do you believe spirituality to be another contributor to "staying" in the pursuit for your goals and success/successes?

I think I maybe bordering on intimate (haha) but it's a change from asking questions associated with the physical aspects of the sport.

Mindset has a LOT to do with anything in life. Shit, I think your mindset has everyhting to do with wjether or not you get sick, whether you die young or live to be old. It's all upstairs. Like they say, "where the mind goes, the body will follow.

Bushbear86
08-26-10, 6:29 am
Hey Ox. I've been following this thread for some time now and been checking out some of your pics, and first of all I must say you look awesome and you are one of my alltime favourite future candidates for Mr O.

I've been following The House's Thread as well and I know there's no use in asking him how he got his huge calves cause it's just his genetics.

So I'm asking you did you always have big calves to start with or did you put in the work, any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to put in any amounts of work, I don't know if it's rumours, but I've heard that Arnie did calves 5-6 times a week to build his 20" calves.

MRmichael.hooker
08-26-10, 7:38 am
Hey Ox. I've been following this thread for some time now and been checking out some of your pics, and first of all I must say you look awesome and you are one of my alltime favourite future candidates for Mr O.

I've been following The House's Thread as well and I know there's no use in asking him how he got his huge calves cause it's just his genetics.

So I'm asking you did you always have big calves to start with or did you put in the work, any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to put in any amounts of work, I don't know if it's rumours, but I've heard that Arnie did calves 5-6 times a week to build his 20" calves.

hey, i know im not Ox (Obviously lol) but yes, Arnold DID do calves 5-7 times a day. I know I spent about 1.5 months training calves HEAVY every day. about 10 sets per day, 8-10 reps (what I got from Arnolds Encyclopedia), then went back to 2-3 times a week. Each day I would focus on one calf workout (seated, leg press, standing) and would either do alot of sets of 15-30, or do 4 sets of 85-100. Like I said, im not ox, but I did bring my calves from barely 16" to 19 1/4" . Keep em heavy, keep great form, go slllooooww, flex the calves at the top of each rep, and they will grow.

WGPBallar
08-26-10, 9:15 am
Hey Ox, I'm a huge fan of you man. Been following you on the forums here and on MD for a while now. I never really ask any questions, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get your opinion. Right now the split I'm on has me in the gym for a little over 2 hours including my 5-10 minute warm-up and around a 15 minute cool-down/stretching at the end. My split is A Day - Leg, Chest, Triceps, and B Day - Back, Shoulder, Biceps, and Abs. I'm in the gym everyother day. I'm doing anywhere from 4-6 worksets for each group so I use a lot of intensity. It's from a program called X-reps which I have used before and gotten good results so i'm going back to it for a little bit. (I broke it down for you cause your probably thinking that's to long in the gym, which I also believe also, but it has worked good for me in the past)

That's just a little run down so you can kind of get an idea where i'm coming from. My main question is nutrition. Usually right around 830-9 after the days I workout, I'm so tired and don't feel like eating and just want to go to bed. Do you think I should try to stay up another 1-1.5 hours an get at least 2 full meals in before going to bed?

This is an idea of my average afternoon:

3 pm - get a solid pre-work meal with Animal Pak
4 pm - Out of work, Animal Pump
430 - Workout beings, drinking BCAA's before, during, and post
630 - Usually out of the gym drinking post workout shake
730 - Big Post workout meal

I also take one Animal Omega in the morning, Uni-Liver with meals, and just started taking Animal PM now too.

All my other split I'm usually in the gym for only 1 hour, so I always get two meals in. Not a huge fan of taking a shake before bed because it goes right through me, and I'm all about whole foods. I figured you might have some insight on this because of your past job that you had before working regular business hours. Currently I feel good like this, but I'm not sure if its really optimal.

Thanks for your time man, and sorry for the long response.

Ox
08-27-10, 8:19 am

My calves have come a long way from when I first began training but I would still say that I have a stong genetic capability to have decent sized calves. The shape was always there so I justhammered them (treated them just like any other bodypart) and they responded well. I don't believe in training anything more than twice a week (and even that's too much sometimes) but I do believe in training harder/more effectively. Do your calves typically get sore after training?

Ox
08-27-10, 8:25 am
Hey Ox, I'm a huge fan of you man. Been following you on the forums here and on MD for a while now. I never really ask any questions, but I figured it couldn't hurt to get your opinion. Right now the split I'm on has me in the gym for a little over 2 hours including my 5-10 minute warm-up and around a 15 minute cool-down/stretching at the end. My split is A Day - Leg, Chest, Triceps, and B Day - Back, Shoulder, Biceps, and Abs. I'm in the gym everyother day. I'm doing anywhere from 4-6 worksets for each group so I use a lot of intensity. It's from a program called X-reps which I have used before and gotten good results so i'm going back to it for a little bit. (I broke it down for you cause your probably thinking that's to long in the gym, which I also believe also, but it has worked good for me in the past)

That's just a little run down so you can kind of get an idea where i'm coming from. My main question is nutrition. Usually right around 830-9 after the days I workout, I'm so tired and don't feel like eating and just want to go to bed. Do you think I should try to stay up another 1-1.5 hours an get at least 2 full meals in before going to bed?

This is an idea of my average afternoon:

3 pm - get a solid pre-work meal with Animal Pak
4 pm - Out of work, Animal Pump
430 - Workout beings, drinking BCAA's before, during, and post
630 - Usually out of the gym drinking post workout shake
730 - Big Post workout meal

I also take one Animal Omega in the morning, Uni-Liver with meals, and just started taking Animal PM now too.

All my other split I'm usually in the gym for only 1 hour, so I always get two meals in. Not a huge fan of taking a shake before bed because it goes right through me, and I'm all about whole foods. I figured you might have some insight on this because of your past job that you had before working regular business hours. Currently I feel good like this, but I'm not sure if its really optimal.

Thanks for your time man, and sorry for the long response.

I think you're spending too much time in the gym. There's no way you could possibly train back or legs with anything else if you train thm with the intensity they need in order for you to grow. My guess is that your decreased appetite and desire to sleep is a sign that you're overtraining. On average, from 3pm (when you have your pre training meal) until you go to bed you're only getting in one meal. That's not enough. At least I could say it wouldn't work for me. But if you feel good and it's working what can I say? I jsut think that
A. cramming that many bodyparts into one day is a recipe for overtraining and doesn't allow you to give your all to each bodypart B. you need more nutrition after training and c. you may be overtraining.

WGPBallar
08-27-10, 10:40 am
I think you're spending too much time in the gym. There's no way you could possibly train back or legs with anything else if you train thm with the intensity they need in order for you to grow. My guess is that your decreased appetite and desire to sleep is a sign that you're overtraining. On average, from 3pm (when you have your pre training meal) until you go to bed you're only getting in one meal. That's not enough. At least I could say it wouldn't work for me. But if you feel good and it's working what can I say? I jsut think that
A. cramming that many bodyparts into one day is a recipe for overtraining and doesn't allow you to give your all to each bodypart B. you need more nutrition after training and c. you may be overtraining.

Thanks for your response man. I think I will take your advice and switch it up. I thought maybe I was just getting lazy after my workouts, but it probably was because of overtraining.

BamBam
08-27-10, 11:43 am
Hey bro! Just stopping in to see how things are going? Been reading and seeing a lot of you in the last 2 MD's and you are looking HUGE! The spread with Branch was awesome and I'm anxious to see how you bring that type of size to the Arnold this coming year.

I had a quick question though. I'm getting an "ANIMAL ROADTRIP" together for the Arnold Classic (like the one they have going on for the O') and didn't know if we stopped in CT if you would be down to train? I know being close to contest time you may be busy so wanted to run it by you first. Thanks for your time and God Bless..

IN IRON,
BB-

Ox
08-28-10, 8:55 am
Thanks for your response man. I think I will take your advice and switch it up. I thought maybe I was just getting lazy after my workouts, but it probably was because of overtraining.

Try it...sometimes less is more!

Ox
08-28-10, 8:57 am
Hey bro! Just stopping in to see how things are going? Been reading and seeing a lot of you in the last 2 MD's and you are looking HUGE! The spread with Branch was awesome and I'm anxious to see how you bring that type of size to the Arnold this coming year.

I had a quick question though. I'm getting an "ANIMAL ROADTRIP" together for the Arnold Classic (like the one they have going on for the O') and didn't know if we stopped in CT if you would be down to train? I know being close to contest time you may be busy so wanted to run it by you first. Thanks for your time and God Bless..

IN IRON,
BB-

That sounds awesome man. Unfortunately, leading up to that show (or any show for that matter) it's SERIOUS BUSINESS. I don't go ANYWHERE. In the pre-contest mode, you'd have a hard time getting me out of the house to go see a movie.

BamBam
08-28-10, 10:50 am
That sounds awesome man. Unfortunately, leading up to that show (or any show for that matter) it's SERIOUS BUSINESS. I don't go ANYWHERE. In the pre-contest mode, you'd have a hard time getting me out of the house to go see a movie.

Dude I respect that and it's no problem. If you can make it, I'll let you know when we will be in town, and if not, then no big man. I don't want to interfere with anything you have going on because your show is more important bro. You are going to kill em' in C-Bus!!

How is Waterbury Fitness? I am going to try and make that a stop on the Roadtrip and hopefully also training with (I should say beside) Poundstone, or at least seeing him train. Awesome YOUTUBE video with him btw... But I will stop rambling lol. Stay Strong..

IN IRON,
BB-

ZombiePower
08-28-10, 1:23 pm
how can i make my bench pressd huge are there certain muscles to work on?
gets confusing cause one time i was trying to max out 135 and im 16 i couldnt so this little dude came up and started repping 135 he was my age also pissed me off big time.
I dont judge anyone on how tall,short,fat,skinny,scrawny or muscular im just wondering how im a decent big dude and i couldnt even lift it up once right now im 16 bench 150 still sucks

BamBam
08-28-10, 2:09 pm
gets confusing cause one time i was trying to max out 135 and im 16 i couldnt so this little dude came up and started repping 135 he was my age also pissed me off big time.
I dont judge anyone on how tall,short,fat,skinny,scrawny or muscular im just wondering how im a decent big dude and i couldnt even lift it up once right now im 16 bench 150 still sucks

I am anxious to see his response...

Maiden69
08-28-10, 6:23 pm
What's up Evan!! Just dropping by to see how's life doing! Been reading all the pages that I have missed since I went on R&R. Was so busy with the family and didn't had time to come here and check the forvm... did worked out everyday thought, off days were dedicated to cardio, since I was visiting the family in Puerto Rico and everywere I went I had a mountain of food waiting for me!!!

Back to the swing of things here in Afghanistan again. Thankfully, last few days the weather had been better, days are at about 90's and nights high 70's so the gym air con is working good! No more sweating my ass off just walking between benches!

Well big brother, see you around, time for me to catch up on things here and at work!

Bushbear86
08-29-10, 2:54 pm
My calves have come a long way from when I first began training but I would still say that I have a stong genetic capability to have decent sized calves. The shape was always there so I justhammered them (treated them just like any other bodypart) and they responded well. I don't believe in training anything more than twice a week (and even that's too much sometimes) but I do believe in training harder/more effectively. Do your calves typically get sore after training?

Yes I do get an intense burn after each calve session (1x week), I aim to do 5 x Donkey raises (12-20reps), 5 x Toe raises on leg press (12-15) and then I can barely do the standing calve raises which I intended to do but my muscles just wont contract by this stage.

Ox
08-29-10, 3:04 pm
Dude I respect that and it's no problem. If you can make it, I'll let you know when we will be in town, and if not, then no big man. I don't want to interfere with anything you have going on because your show is more important bro. You are going to kill em' in C-Bus!!

How is Waterbury Fitness? I am going to try and make that a stop on the Roadtrip and hopefully also training with (I should say beside) Poundstone, or at least seeing him train. Awesome YOUTUBE video with him btw... But I will stop rambling lol. Stay Strong..

IN IRON,
BB-

You're coming to CT?! The gym I train at in New Haven is only about 25 min South of Derek's gym. I trained with Derek one time in Waterbury but I believe it was called Retro Fitness. Could be the same gym but recently changed names. Not a bad gym. It was cool that they had a bunch of Derek's equipment in there. But make sure you come to New Haven...it could be the best gym you'll ever train in...no bullshit.

Ox
08-29-10, 3:05 pm

Just continue to train everyhting with equal dedication and intensity and so long as you fuel your training with the proper nutrition and rest, you should get bigger and stronger...benchpress included.

Ox
08-29-10, 3:08 pm
What's up Evan!! Just dropping by to see how's life doing! Been reading all the pages that I have missed since I went on R&R. Was so busy with the family and didn't had time to come here and check the forvm... did worked out everyday thought, off days were dedicated to cardio, since I was visiting the family in Puerto Rico and everywere I went I had a mountain of food waiting for me!!!

Back to the swing of things here in Afghanistan again. Thankfully, last few days the weather had been better, days are at about 90's and nights high 70's so the gym air con is working good! No more sweating my ass off just walking between benches!

Well big brother, see you around, time for me to catch up on things here and at work!

Glad to hear you got to rest and spend some time with the fam! That's important man. Damn bro I give you a lot of credit for pushing through over there. Now finish that shit up and get home.

Ox
08-29-10, 3:09 pm
Yes I do get an intense burn after each calve session (1x week), I aim to do 5 x Donkey raises (12-20reps), 5 x Toe raises on leg press (12-15) and then I can barely do the standing calve raises which I intended to do but my muscles just wont contract by this stage.

Well then you can't possibly do any more within that workout. How often you train them depends on how quickly they're recuperating. If you're still sore for 4 or 5 days after, I wouldn't train them more than once a week.

mass3011
08-30-10, 9:40 am
Ox my man how do u use nitro I was want to no if I could take a pack while I train or if just pre and post is enough??

BamBam
08-30-10, 12:05 pm
You're coming to CT?! The gym I train at in New Haven is only about 25 min South of Derek's gym. I trained with Derek one time in Waterbury but I believe it was called Retro Fitness. Could be the same gym but recently changed names. Not a bad gym. It was cool that they had a bunch of Derek's equipment in there. But make sure you come to New Haven...it could be the best gym you'll ever train in...no bullshit.

Yeah bro. The Arnold Classic is not just an event for me or a weekend get-a-way of sorts, but that's where I finally got into the FORVM thanks to Wrath and yourself. The rest is history... so I want to do it justice by making the road-trip as "BIG" as possible. I will def. come to New Haven man. Hell, I'll train there one day and Waterbury the next. Now you got me anxious to see this gym.. Always down to find a true "GYM", not some "fitness center"

IN IRON,
BB-

johnnawad
08-30-10, 5:43 pm
as a begginner i tend to shy away from hard workouts like squats, deadlifts, and the bench press. i get really good workouts and am seeing results but i just use dumbells. and i also never workout legs cause i couldnt careless wat they look like, is this alright for a begginer or is it gonna come back and bite me in the ass.

-john

Maiden69
08-30-10, 8:13 pm
Glad to hear you got to rest and spend some time with the fam! That's important man. Damn bro I give you a lot of credit for pushing through over there. Now finish that shit up and get home.
Thanks man! Believe me, there is no one here that would rather be back home!!! 8 more months left...

Ox
08-31-10, 7:31 am
Ox my man how do u use nitro I was want to no if I could take a pack while I train or if just pre and post is enough??

I use 3-4 paks PWO. But it can be used intra-workout also...I do this when dietting and calorie restricted. I'd say you need 2 paks to make it worth it.

Ox
08-31-10, 7:32 am
Yeah bro. The Arnold Classic is not just an event for me or a weekend get-a-way of sorts, but that's where I finally got into the FORVM thanks to Wrath and yourself. The rest is history... so I want to do it justice by making the road-trip as "BIG" as possible. I will def. come to New Haven man. Hell, I'll train there one day and Waterbury the next. Now you got me anxious to see this gym.. Always down to find a true "GYM", not some "fitness center"

IN IRON,
BB-

Good! Look forward to seeing you there. Believe me, you won't be dissapointed.

Ox
08-31-10, 7:32 am
as a begginner i tend to shy away from hard workouts like squats, deadlifts, and the bench press. i get really good workouts and am seeing results but i just use dumbells. and i also never workout legs cause i couldnt careless wat they look like, is this alright for a begginer or is it gonna come back and bite me in the ass.

-john

Is this a joke or are you being serious with me?

Ox
08-31-10, 7:33 am
Thanks man! Believe me, there is no one here that would rather be back home!!! 8 more months left...

Hang in there man.

Universal Rep
08-31-10, 9:25 am
If you're fan of Ox, then you won't wanna miss his contest prep thread for the Arnold Classic 2011 right here... http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=33046

Maiden69
09-01-10, 12:45 am
Hey Evan, is it possible to be on a keto diet, and still be able to gain muscle while at the same time getting leaner? I have a hard time putting on mass, and now that it is not so hot here, I'm thinking about pushing my self again, but I want to lean out, I'm trying to get a recruiters duty and I know that appearances are a big factor for those guys. I'm not obese but I consider my self "fat" at 5'8" 212lbs with an approximate 20%bf according to the Army tape test. I am taking about 250g of protein daily right now, with about 150 to 200g of fat "guesstimated" since everything here is fried or made in the skillet, and the only good protein source is tuna. I'm taking a re-feed when my body asks for it, sometimes between 5-6 days. Also, as you know the food here is not that great, I'm taking about 2-3 shakes with about 50g protein in between the solid meals.

My main concern is not getting skinny, I have done that before and even my wife say I look sick, I will like to retain the little mass that I have or add some, especially in my arms, which are at a pathetic 16"... I'm doing a 10 week prioritization program to see if I can shock them into growing, I really will like to break 17 or 18... I got 8 months here, and I will like to at least add that one extra inch before I get back, and lean out the waist line in the next 4 months since I have to submit a photo with my package.

Thanks for all the help bro, and I'm subscribed to your prep threat, can't wait to read the updates!

johnnawad
09-01-10, 11:44 am
Is this a joke or are you being serious with me?

i was being serious but seeing by you're reaction i should probably start doing legs

TheAnima!Packist
09-01-10, 11:44 am
Hey Ox,

Do you got any info on Sodium Loading?? I am just starting to grasp this concept but need advice.

Late, Pack

FarBeyondDriven
09-01-10, 11:12 pm
i was being serious but seeing by you're reaction i should probably start doing legs

Hey bro of course you should start doin legs, take a look at a guy like Ox or Machine or House. Or any of the Animals on this forum and then you won't think twice about whether or not you should train legs and do the hard exercises.

And nobody said that any of this is gonna be easy.

You should want to challenge yourself, push the limits and strive to be better than yesterday ALWAYS. Otherwise you're probably in the wrong place.

No offense intended but most guys like Ox who are more than willing to share their wealth of knowledge don't want to waste their time if you're not prepared to help yourself.

Do your squats bro. Do them hard and heavy and you'll find it's not just your legs that will grow.

johnnawad
09-02-10, 12:04 am
Hey bro of course you should start doin legs, take a look at a guy like Ox or Machine or House. Or any of the Animals on this forum and then you won't think twice about whether or not you should train legs and do the hard exercises.

And nobody said that any of this is gonna be easy.

You should want to challenge yourself, push the limits and strive to be better than yesterday ALWAYS. Otherwise you're probably in the wrong place.

No offense intended but most guys like Ox who are more than willing to share their wealth of knowledge don't want to waste their time if you're not prepared to help yourself.

Do your squats bro. Do them hard and heavy and you'll find it's not just your legs that will grow.

thanks bro, i guess i was so concerned with improving my upper body that i felt leaving legs for a later time was a good idea. but i been reading around on this forum and i see now that legs are just as important. thanks for the help.

-john

FarBeyondDriven
09-02-10, 2:23 am
thanks bro, i guess i was so concerned with improving my upper body that i felt leaving legs for a later time was a good idea. but i been reading around on this forum and i see now that legs are just as important. thanks for the help.

-john

Anytime man. This site is one of the most valuable resources you'll find. Plenty of inspiration to drawn upon as well.
All the best

Ox
09-02-10, 8:49 am
Hey Evan, is it possible to be on a keto diet, and still be able to gain muscle while at the same time getting leaner? I have a hard time putting on mass, and now that it is not so hot here, I'm thinking about pushing my self again, but I want to lean out, I'm trying to get a recruiters duty and I know that appearances are a big factor for those guys. I'm not obese but I consider my self "fat" at 5'8" 212lbs with an approximate 20%bf according to the Army tape test. I am taking about 250g of protein daily right now, with about 150 to 200g of fat "guesstimated" since everything here is fried or made in the skillet, and the only good protein source is tuna. I'm taking a re-feed when my body asks for it, sometimes between 5-6 days. Also, as you know the food here is not that great, I'm taking about 2-3 shakes with about 50g protein in between the solid meals.

My main concern is not getting skinny, I have done that before and even my wife say I look sick, I will like to retain the little mass that I have or add some, especially in my arms, which are at a pathetic 16"... I'm doing a 10 week prioritization program to see if I can shock them into growing, I really will like to break 17 or 18... I got 8 months here, and I will like to at least add that one extra inch before I get back, and lean out the waist line in the next 4 months since I have to submit a photo with my package.

Thanks for all the help bro, and I'm subscribed to your prep threat, can't wait to read the updates!

Anything is possible. It all depends on where you're starting from. If you haven't been eating well then all of a sudden improve your diet, it's entirely possible. But I would try to comprise your fat intake of good fats rather than from fried food if possible. I know the food situation is shitty.

Ox
09-02-10, 8:50 am

Fo sho.

Ox
09-02-10, 8:50 am
Hey Ox,

Do you got any info on Sodium Loading?? I am just starting to grasp this concept but need advice.

Late, Pack

Sodium loading is crap.

Maiden69
09-02-10, 10:59 am
Anything is possible. It all depends on where you're starting from. If you haven't been eating well then all of a sudden improve your diet, it's entirely possible. But I would try to comprise your fat intake of good fats rather than from fried food if possible. I know the food situation is shitty.

Thanks! I will be trying to keep it as clean as possible.

TheAnima!Packist
09-04-10, 3:04 pm
Sodium loading is crap.

alright moving on to next item up for bid

Late, Pack

raphzomg
09-04-10, 6:00 pm
Hey Ox

If I hit the Gym in the morning an hour after meal#1 (eggs and oats)
and I have 3scoop of torrents PWO.When would u use your two paks
of nitro ?.. Pre, intra or Pwo ?

I hope you can understand my poor english :)

Thanks

Ox
09-05-10, 8:41 am
Hey Ox

If I hit the Gym in the morning an hour after meal#1 (eggs and oats)
and I have 3scoop of torrents PWO.When would u use your two paks
of nitro ?.. Pre, intra or Pwo ?

I hope you can understand my poor english :)

Thanks

I would use them during your training.

raphzomg
09-05-10, 1:24 pm
I would use them during your training.

Thanks for your time.Switching from whey and dextrose
to torrent and nitro...I guess I'll see good results

sean rector
09-05-10, 4:33 pm
hey hows it going evan big fan bro..

I was just wonndering your thoughts on bulking and cutting in short spurts.

say bulk 5 weeks., cut 3? and bulk 5 etc..

right now im in the mid 180's, from 280 or so 14 months ago.

also what should i aim for over maintenance everyday in your opinion? 300-500? keep in mind im more of an endo.

one more thing should the majority of my carbs be complex?

thanks ev

Maiden69
09-05-10, 8:37 pm
Hey Evan one training question. The routine Im doing calls for 2 arm days a week, I have been training every body parts once a week, and after doing the first workout this week for arms my tris are still sore (4 days now), tomorrow is suppose to be my second day and I don't know if it would be productive to work them out. All the exercises are different (2 completely different routines to hit the arms at different angles) so I don't know what the impact would be. I'm supplementing with EEA and BCAA stack in addition to Animal PM and Flex (Flex has helped my sore shoulder and knees a lot) and may be because of this I'm pushing my self more than before in the gym (weather is better also!!!) so may be this is a reaason for still having DOMS so far out. What do you think would be the best avenue of approach? Rest one more day, or go ahead and hit them up to see how they feel?

Ox
09-07-10, 4:37 pm
Thanks for your time.Switching from whey and dextrose
to torrent and nitro...I guess I'll see good results

I like the combo. Let me know how it works for you.

Ox
09-07-10, 4:41 pm
hey hows it going evan big fan bro..

I was just wonndering your thoughts on bulking and cutting in short spurts.

say bulk 5 weeks., cut 3? and bulk 5 etc..

right now im in the mid 180's, from 280 or so 14 months ago.

also what should i aim for over maintenance everyday in your opinion? 300-500? keep in mind im more of an endo.

one more thing should the majority of my carbs be complex?

thanks ev

I think things like nutrient cycling are good but I think that they should be done with one gola in mind for a greater period of time. For example, I think that if your objective is to gain size then your eating should reflect that and you should see it through for a good 3-4 months. However, within that time, I think it's a good idea to cycle nutrients from day to day as necessary...one day you may need more or less carbs than another etc etc. But I think that in general, 5 weeks of anything is not enough to aciheve your desired result.

Ox
09-07-10, 4:43 pm
Hey Evan one training question. The routine Im doing calls for 2 arm days a week, I have been training every body parts once a week, and after doing the first workout this week for arms my tris are still sore (4 days now), tomorrow is suppose to be my second day and I don't know if it would be productive to work them out. All the exercises are different (2 completely different routines to hit the arms at different angles) so I don't know what the impact would be. I'm supplementing with EEA and BCAA stack in addition to Animal PM and Flex (Flex has helped my sore shoulder and knees a lot) and may be because of this I'm pushing my self more than before in the gym (weather is better also!!!) so may be this is a reaason for still having DOMS so far out. What do you think would be the best avenue of approach? Rest one more day, or go ahead and hit them up to see how they feel?

You can train them again and hope that they adapt to the heightened frequency of training. Me, personally, I thinkr ecuperation is key.

MRmichael.hooker
09-07-10, 5:36 pm
Hows it going OX. Caught ur shoulder vid on MD the other day, good stuff. I really liked your analogy about a marathon runner doesn't switch to a tredmil the week before their race, so why switch your training from whats given you your size. Good shit. Keep up the hard work, you know when your next show is going to be?

Maiden69
09-07-10, 8:37 pm
You can train them again and hope that they adapt to the heightened frequency of training. Me, personally, I thinkr ecuperation is key.
Thanks! I'm goin to give it a go, and depending on how they react, feel and see in the next 2-3 weeks Im goin to decide if to change the approach or stay on course... this darn stubborn arms never wanted to grow! Genetics in my family sucks... big body skinny limbs!

Ox
09-08-10, 8:43 am
Hows it going OX. Caught ur shoulder vid on MD the other day, good stuff. I really liked your analogy about a marathon runner doesn't switch to a tredmil the week before their race, so why switch your training from whats given you your size. Good shit. Keep up the hard work, you know when your next show is going to be?

Thanks man I'm glad you liked the vid. The Arnold is next!

Ox
09-08-10, 8:44 am
Thanks! I'm goin to give it a go, and depending on how they react, feel and see in the next 2-3 weeks Im goin to decide if to change the approach or stay on course... this darn stubborn arms never wanted to grow! Genetics in my family sucks... big body skinny limbs!

Hahahahah...stay the course man.

MRmichael.hooker
09-08-10, 7:40 pm
Thanks man I'm glad you liked the vid. The Arnold is next!

NICE!

sean rector
09-09-10, 12:59 am
evan how do you feel about chicken thighs .

im thinking of replacing chicken breast with thighs.

any negatives?

Ox
09-09-10, 7:59 am
evan how do you feel about chicken thighs .

im thinking of replacing chicken breast with thighs.

any negatives?

A little more fatty but tasty as hell! If it's your offseason I say go for it.

CARNIVOR
09-14-10, 12:27 am
Hey Evan I've watched your video about fish a few times and I'm here in Houston trying to find a good fish market. I'm also trying to invest in grass fed beef and free range chicken/eggs. It just makes since...you are what you eat...what they eat.

Well my question is what do you think about legumes like black beans? I never hear bodybuilders talk about eating them. I think they are a great source of fiber. What do you think of them as a carb source? Would you use them in the off season or competition prep? I don't compete but I try to eat, sleep, and lift like a bodybuilder.

I'll be following your Arnold prep. Good luck bro.

CARNIVOR

D-Kev
09-14-10, 2:14 am
Hey Evan -
I am lifting and eating to gain lean mass, I know I am gaining strength
and beating my logbook. The mirror shows improvements in size as well.
My weight has been fluctuating between 162 and 163.5 or so for 5 months, my
question is, for how long can one get stronger and bigger, yet remain the same weight?

I feel like my diet and training are on point, which would be allowing me to make gains and burn some fat at the same time...
However, part of me thinks 5 months and not much weight change, what the fuck, lol.

Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated,
Best Of Luck at the Arnold!

mass3011
09-14-10, 1:38 pm

ox just been flicking thru i saw some 1 posted bout gaining on a keto diet i would love to try this im always spiking insulin but resently iv just been having nitro post workout n its been working better woundering if u could gime some pointers on how to do it ?

Ox
09-16-10, 8:53 am
Hey Evan I've watched your video about fish a few times and I'm here in Houston trying to find a good fish market. I'm also trying to invest in grass fed beef and free range chicken/eggs. It just makes since...you are what you eat...what they eat.

Well my question is what do you think about legumes like black beans? I never hear bodybuilders talk about eating them. I think they are a great source of fiber. What do you think of them as a carb source? Would you use them in the off season or competition prep? I don't compete but I try to eat, sleep, and lift like a bodybuilder.

I'll be following your Arnold prep. Good luck bro.

CARNIVOR

You are what you eat! Very true. Beans? As a carb source they are good but because of the high fiber content, they can mess with some peoples digestion. If you digest them well then I say go with it! If they sit well with you they can be used offseason and or precontest. Good luck!

Ox
09-16-10, 8:56 am
Hey Evan -
I am lifting and eating to gain lean mass, I know I am gaining strength
and beating my logbook. The mirror shows improvements in size as well.
My weight has been fluctuating between 162 and 163.5 or so for 5 months, my
question is, for how long can one get stronger and bigger, yet remain the same weight?

I feel like my diet and training are on point, which would be allowing me to make gains and burn some fat at the same time...
However, part of me thinks 5 months and not much weight change, what the fuck, lol.

Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated,
Best Of Luck at the Arnold!

How long? I suppose it's possible to do that for almost your entire life! But I assume you're young so just be patient and things progress, your eating will increase, your metabolism will chnage and you will gain weight. If you were 40 years old and had been this weight for the last ten years and were giving it your all then I'd say you may be stuck with it. But I'm sure this is just temporary. Let your nutrition, training and your body evolve. So long as you give 100% to all that you do, you WILL progress.

Ox
09-16-10, 8:58 am
ox just been flicking thru i saw some 1 posted bout gaining on a keto diet i would love to try this im always spiking insulin but resently iv just been having nitro post workout n its been working better woundering if u could gime some pointers on how to do it ?

Gaining size on keto would prove to be very difficult for most. To be honest, it can be difficult to hang on to size let alone gain it wile on keto. Typically, the only time someone gains on it is if they go from a very poor diet and are not training seriously and then introduce a solid keto diet. My advice? Keep carbs moderate and your food clean, train hard, and you will grow without getting fat.

Maiden69
09-17-10, 12:03 am
My advice? Keep carbs moderate and your food clean, train hard, and you will grow without getting fat.

Hey Ox, I just got done with my 2 months "diet" and Im goin to start incorporating carbs into the meals. Right now I'm not taking more than 100g, mostly after my workout and my breakfast. I plan on adding them slow, because I know that I react to them by adding weight in the wrong places. My plan is to gain weight just like you mentioned here above... I dropped almost 20lbs total in that 2 months, the last 3 weeks I dropped 9 with help of Animal Cuts, since I hit a wall on my 4th week. I'm standing at 205 right now, I know my bf% is way above what I want, I think Im still close to 20%, but I want to gain some solid mass, and I think that by doing this approach I might be able to lose the fat by doing cardio on the 130bpm zone and eating a solid diet replenishing my carbs on the first few meals of the day.
On supplements, Im taking some of the core, Pak, Flex and PM. And I have EAA and BCAA stacks, also I just ordered Intra because I run out and EAA Nitro for post workout. I sip on the EAA and BCAA during my shift, take a serving of BCAA after W/O, that I plan on replacing with EAA Nitro. Other than those, I need to get some Omega, but my budget allowed for that only. Would you think that I could continue with EAA Nitro after w/o and dnt bother with the EAA/BCAA stack once I get done with this tubs and add Omega instead?

Finally, I just want to say thanks for all the knowledge shared here bro! I'm following your journey to Columbus! Hope you get better from that "cold"!

scfetter
09-17-10, 5:31 am
Evan:

As an avid lifter as well as a college business student, I was curious as to how hands on you are regarding the business sides of universal and animal pak. Do they come to you for ad ideas, campaigns, product ideas, etc.? I can't imagine such a great opportunity to mesh one's passion with their education.

Hope all is well, you're a huge inspiration to all of us.

Ox
09-19-10, 6:11 pm
Hey Ox, I just got done with my 2 months "diet" and Im goin to start incorporating carbs into the meals. Right now I'm not taking more than 100g, mostly after my workout and my breakfast. I plan on adding them slow, because I know that I react to them by adding weight in the wrong places. My plan is to gain weight just like you mentioned here above... I dropped almost 20lbs total in that 2 months, the last 3 weeks I dropped 9 with help of Animal Cuts, since I hit a wall on my 4th week. I'm standing at 205 right now, I know my bf% is way above what I want, I think Im still close to 20%, but I want to gain some solid mass, and I think that by doing this approach I might be able to lose the fat by doing cardio on the 130bpm zone and eating a solid diet replenishing my carbs on the first few meals of the day.
On supplements, Im taking some of the core, Pak, Flex and PM. And I have EAA and BCAA stacks, also I just ordered Intra because I run out and EAA Nitro for post workout. I sip on the EAA and BCAA during my shift, take a serving of BCAA after W/O, that I plan on replacing with EAA Nitro. Other than those, I need to get some Omega, but my budget allowed for that only. Would you think that I could continue with EAA Nitro after w/o and dnt bother with the EAA/BCAA stack once I get done with this tubs and add Omega instead?

Finally, I just want to say thanks for all the knowledge shared here bro! I'm following your journey to Columbus! Hope you get better from that "cold"!

To me, Omega is essential and if it came down to EAA/BCAA stak or EAA Nitro, I'd opt for the Nitro. Thanks man, I'm feeling better. Good luck and keep me posted.