PDA

View Full Version : Ox's Stable

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25

Ox
04-29-13, 5:38 pm
Hey big Ox!
I am a big follower of yours and you inspire me in every way even outside of the bodybuilding part of life! Want to use the brilliant opportunity now to ask one of the top pro for some advise :)

I had somewhat the same past as you and was very overweight ( 240 pounds at 5'7...). Since then i dropped down to now 170 lbs an have given myself over to the bodybuilding lifestyle completley. As you can imagine ive been on a general cut for a loooong time doing keto and other things to get in shape. While being in a deficit that long is pretty tough and taxing i lost a lot of strenth as well as size but attained a fairly decent shape. i am only still cutting because i have the same old problem as some fellow animals with that damn loose skin in the abdomen region it almost kills me...
On the other side as i said im only 170 lbs (approx. 140 lbm) and want to know wbat you would sugfest me to do now...i think i am a bit lost considering i am exactly in such an " in between" phase but in the long term my goal is definitly to get big and strong as a bull with an acceptable bf%...

2nd question is about bulking: What do you think of Carb back loading in terms of eating keto style till you workout and then slam carbs post workout...on off days complete keto style eating. i know for big bodybuilders like you that wouldnt be practical but for a "smaler" guy who needs to gain size and is sensitive to carbs?

Sorry for the blablabla i just wanted you to know my background and were im coming from...:)

Thanks big man!

First off, congrats. That is an incredible achievment. Considering how long you've been dietting, I'd probably do some type of phase where you add in some carbs (not a ton) and just eat a little more in general. I'd expect a 20 lb or so increase so don't freak out if you put some weight back on...it has to happen! Don't worry, if you need to lose weight again, you can....you've already done it once.

Personally, I have no experience with the carb backloading but some claim great success with it. Try it. But on the days you don't train, I would still eat some carbs. Keep in mind, you're TRYING to illicit a change!

Good luck.

Ox
04-29-13, 5:39 pm
ox hey men, thank you for reading, and for answering all the questions.

well now im taking animal m-stak, but i want some supplement after workout, i dont know if try protein or creatine, what you recommend, what brands?

i was using nitrotech some time ago, but i think there are better products.

thank you

I'm a huge fan of Animal Nitro. I prefer free form aminos during training over protein powder after.

Ox
04-29-13, 5:40 pm
Hey Evan,

I'm currently on a cycle, and I had a few questions about PCT.
I want to add a testbooster, if necessary?, when I'm going into my PCT. I'm looking at both Animal Stak and Animal Test. They both seem to be great supplements to add to a PCT.
Which one do you advise to take? Is there also any PCT advise that you can give me, maybe I read some things I didn't know yet?

Thanks in advance,
Arno

Let me ask you this; how long do you plan to stay off?

D-NUTZ
04-29-13, 5:58 pm
Hey honeybuns

Just wanted to let you know that I miss you.

lol but seriously. That little tip you gave me at the ABC for dips about where you put the pressure on your palms and leg positioning has been awesome and definitely allows me to "feel" them more. Thank you.

Ox
05-01-13, 6:47 pm
Hey honeybuns

Just wanted to let you know that I miss you.

lol but seriously. That little tip you gave me at the ABC for dips about where you put the pressure on your palms and leg positioning has been awesome and definitely allows me to "feel" them more. Thank you.

Don't ever tell me you miss me and then follow it up with "lol but seriously". What de fuck!

That's awesome man. I'm glad to hear that helped! Anything new with you?

Mr.awol
05-01-13, 9:33 pm
I take mine (I use 3 packets PWO) with 3 scoops of torrent. The idea is to take the aminos with a glycemic carbohydrate so that you spike your insulin. Once your insulin is spiked (since insulin is a storage hormane and very anabolic) the aminos get shuttled or driven into the muscle cells where they are needed. It's very effective especially since the aminos in Nitro don't get cannibalized by the liver and enter the bloodstream in no time. So to answer your question, do not use water. While grape juice is ok, you could use other juice or gatorade. Torrent works excellent because of the waxy maize starch pretty much bypasses the stomach (because of it's high molecular weight)and hits you almost instantly. Plus there's glucose in the formulation and you can;t get more glycemic than glucose. More glycemic = better insulin spike = aminos and glycogen get to the muscles more efficiently = better recuperation + anabolism. Just make sure nyou don; take it with a proetin shake because that will screw up it's ability to bypass the liver etc. Wait about a half hour or 45 min to hit your protein shake. Oh I almost forgot, I hit a dose of OKG along with my PWO supps. Ornithine Ketoglutarate is an amino that optimizes your body's ability to handle glucose. I don't know of any company that still produces it besides Universal. Ahhh. The hardcore basics that work. Tried and true. No bullshit.

Would like your input in my prep,I would like to send it to you along w some pics of me and were I'm at. I am IFPA PRO BB,have I pro show in July in Cali let me know if you have time,thanxz a lot and also I have been following your workouts and I gained a lot,it was a big change up,I like to change it up a lot ,thanxz once again

D-NUTZ
05-02-13, 9:29 am
Don't ever tell me you miss me and then follow it up with "lol but seriously". What de fuck!

That's awesome man. I'm glad to hear that helped! Anything new with you?

Lol, I sowwy.

Not much dude. Just trying to get through finals here at school and find a summer job. Switched to a bulking phase a few weeks ago.

Hows the family?

Ox
05-04-13, 4:02 pm
Would like your input in my prep,I would like to send it to you along w some pics of me and were I'm at. I am IFPA PRO BB,have I pro show in July in Cali let me know if you have time,thanxz a lot and also I have been following your workouts and I gained a lot,it was a big change up,I like to change it up a lot ,thanxz once again

Hey man. Pm me with the info

Ox
05-04-13, 4:06 pm
Lol, I sowwy.

Not much dude. Just trying to get through finals here at school and find a summer job. Switched to a bulking phase a few weeks ago.

Hows the family?

Nice! Damn I'm glad I'm done with school! The best summer job I ever had was landscaping. All that manual labor gets you shredded and you get a sick tan. Granted, you come home covered in dirt and have no energy to train...but it's still awesome. Oh yeah, you're trying to bulk...guess that might not work. Then again, you could always save the bulk for the fall. I did that one summer and in the fall when I went back to school, stopped the landscaping and ate more, I blew the fuck UP! Food for thought. That's if they'll let you use power tools. Dahahahaha

The fam is great. Thanks for asking pal.

BB-FLEXPRO
05-05-13, 6:53 am
First off, congrats. That is an incredible achievment. Considering how long you've been dietting, I'd probably do some type of phase where you add in some carbs (not a ton) and just eat a little more in general. I'd expect a 20 lb or so increase so don't freak out if you put some weight back on...it has to happen! Don't worry, if you need to lose weight again, you can....you've already done it once.

Personally, I have no experience with the carb backloading but some claim great success with it. Try it. But on the days you don't train, I would still eat some carbs. Keep in mind, you're TRYING to illicit a change!

Good luck.

Thanks man to get that compliment from one of the top pro´s means A LOT to me! Will try to put that mass on slowly but steady. Maybe I´ll have some slow digesting Carbs first thing in the morning on my Off-Days and then switch over to Protein/Fat only, I think that wouldn´t hurt me.

Ox
05-05-13, 10:07 am
Thanks man to get that compliment from one of the top pro´s means A LOT to me! Will try to put that mass on slowly but steady. Maybe I´ll have some slow digesting Carbs first thing in the morning on my Off-Days and then switch over to Protein/Fat only, I think that wouldn´t hurt me.

On your off days, I'd have the carbs around a time when you will be most active. For example, if you sit at a desk all morning but are physical in the afternoon, thenj I'd have them with lunch. If you are sedentary all day then I guess I'd have them with breakfast. Try a grapefruit in the morning, it's satisfying without really adding any net carbs to your diet and it will help regulate insulin sensitivity which is something, if carbs put fat on you easily, you want more of. More insulin sensitivity= less insulin release in response to meals= less calorie storage.

BB-FLEXPRO
05-05-13, 11:30 am
On your off days, I'd have the carbs around a time when you will be most active. For example, if you sit at a desk all morning but are physical in the afternoon, thenj I'd have them with lunch. If you are sedentary all day then I guess I'd have them with breakfast. Try a grapefruit in the morning, it's satisfying without really adding any net carbs to your diet and it will help regulate insulin sensitivity which is something, if carbs put fat on you easily, you want more of. More insulin sensitivity= less insulin release in response to meals= less calorie storage.

All right maybe I´ll do some light Cardio on my Off-Days and will have those few carbs after that session. Got another Question and that´s how is your Opinion on "clean" Refeeds vs. "dirty" Cheatmeals? On my diet I have one Cheat meal a Week which wasn´t clean at all until now but recently i noticed that all that sugar and industrial junk just made me sick and doesn´t refill my glycogen stores as i want. It did never hurt me in my progress but on the other side I just did not feel the typical benefits that you should have from refilled glycogen stores. Now I plan on doing my next Cheats only with good carb sources which are low in fat like Gainer Shakes, Pasta, Bread Oatmeal and Rice along with good protein sources. What do you think about that whole thing?

thanks big man and greetz from germany :)

Ox
05-06-13, 8:09 am
All right maybe I´ll do some light Cardio on my Off-Days and will have those few carbs after that session. Got another Question and that´s how is your Opinion on "clean" Refeeds vs. "dirty" Cheatmeals? On my diet I have one Cheat meal a Week which wasn´t clean at all until now but recently i noticed that all that sugar and industrial junk just made me sick and doesn´t refill my glycogen stores as i want. It did never hurt me in my progress but on the other side I just did not feel the typical benefits that you should have from refilled glycogen stores. Now I plan on doing my next Cheats only with good carb sources which are low in fat like Gainer Shakes, Pasta, Bread Oatmeal and Rice along with good protein sources. What do you think about that whole thing?

thanks big man and greetz from germany :)

I'm a fan of cheat meals as I think they're necessary to keep your metabolism revved up. Personally, I like to cheat dirty and diet hard. For me, I don't feel like loading up on clean food has the desired effect. However, I don't believe in eating straight crap or processed stuff when cheating. I'm sure you've heard it a million times but a burger and fries is a good cheat. Plenty of fat and carbs and salt while still having a respectable amount of protein and really not overly processed. A heavy "breakfast style" meal of eggs, steak, pancakes, potatoes etc is my other favorite.

Ox
05-06-13, 8:11 am
I'm a fan of cheat meals as I think they're necessary to keep your metabolism revved up. Personally, I like to cheat dirty and diet hard. For me, I don't feel like loading up on clean food has the desired effect. However, I don't believe in eating straight crap or processed stuff when cheating. I'm sure you've heard it a million times but a burger and fries is a good cheat. Plenty of fat and carbs and salt while still having a respectable amount of protein and really not overly processed. A heavy "breakfast style" meal of eggs, steak, pancakes, potatoes etc is my other favorite.

Keep in mind, the cheat meal doesn't only serve to refill glycogen. When you're low on fat and consume a large quantity of it, your muscles will fill up also.

BB-FLEXPRO
05-06-13, 8:35 am

All right thanks man I will keep that in mind! In fact the breakfast meal sounds delicious lol. Looks like the golden balance is not to eat straight up crap but don´t be too clean either...

D-NUTZ
05-06-13, 7:11 pm
Nice! Damn I'm glad I'm done with school! The best summer job I ever had was landscaping. All that manual labor gets you shredded and you get a sick tan. Granted, you come home covered in dirt and have no energy to train...but it's still awesome. Oh yeah, you're trying to bulk...guess that might not work. Then again, you could always save the bulk for the fall. I did that one summer and in the fall when I went back to school, stopped the landscaping and ate more, I blew the fuck UP! Food for thought. That's if they'll let you use power tools. Dahahahaha

The fam is great. Thanks for asking pal.

2 more years of undergrad then 3 years of grad school left for this guy lol...seems like forever.

Hey, the manual labor = higher caloric expenditure = more food = happy former fat kid haha.

I'd much prefer bulking in the fall when I get to school, but I had been cutting since the fall and my body was burning out. I always let myself get too chubby lol, its the inner fat kid who wants to come back out. Not this time though.

Glad to hear bro. Saw on facebook your prep started today. Kill it dude, can't wait to see your package.

Lone Wolf
05-11-13, 11:40 pm
I just need some help with my chest/bi routine. I PM'd you today, but thought posting would be better.
I posted my dilemma here:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40943-Not-sure-about-my-Chest-Biceps-routine

Ox
05-16-13, 5:04 pm
All right thanks man I will keep that in mind! In fact the breakfast meal sounds delicious lol. Looks like the golden balance is not to eat straight up crap but don´t be too clean either...

Exactly...get your protein and your simple carbs and your saturated fat and your sodium etc etc but get it all from decent sources.

Ox
05-16-13, 5:05 pm
Kill it dude, can't wait to see your package.

Left yourself wide open

Ox
05-16-13, 5:07 pm
I just need some help with my chest/bi routine. I PM'd you today, but thought posting would be better.
I posted my dilemma here:
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?40943-Not-sure-about-my-Chest-Biceps-routine

Bicep work looks fine. I'm not really clear on what exactly you're doing for chest; what exercises, sets and reps?

Lone Wolf
05-16-13, 11:24 pm
Bicep work looks fine. I'm not really clear on what exactly you're doing for chest; what exercises, sets and reps?

That thread is a little outdated.
It consists of:
Incline bench
4-5 sets x 12,10,8,6(to failure), and sometimes 4
Incline flyes
3 x 8
Incline dbell press or hammerstrength incline:
3x12,10,8
Flat dbell/or bench press:
4x12,10,8,6(to failure)
Cable crossovers
3x12-8
Dips:
5xfailure

I mix up constantly, but this is generally what I follow.

G-Six
05-17-13, 4:54 pm
Ox,

What's up, man? Just wanted to say you inspire me from everything from physique to mindset on life. I admire how much you "keep it real". I met you back in 2009 at Apollon Gym in Edison, NJ when you came there for an ABC. I actually manage part time over there and are 4 weeks out of Jr Nationals. Just wanted to say whattup and when you're in the area next, come through. It'd be awesome.

Gary "G-Six" Turner

Ox
05-19-13, 11:30 am
That thread is a little outdated.
It consists of:
Incline bench
4-5 sets x 12,10,8,6(to failure), and sometimes 4
Incline flyes
3 x 8
Incline dbell press or hammerstrength incline:
3x12,10,8
Flat dbell/or bench press:
4x12,10,8,6(to failure)
Cable crossovers
3x12-8
Dips:
5xfailure

I mix up constantly, but this is generally what I follow.

23 sets is quite a bit. If you have a training partner I'd try and take advantage of things like forced reps so you can really go to failure. If you're taking your sets to failure then 23 is a lot. I'd pick 4 exercises; two pressing movements and 2 fly movements and I'd probably do 1-2 warmup sets and 2 sets to failure on each. A good selection of movements would be a flat barbell press, incline dumbell press, incline dumbell fly and machine fly. That way you're getting a variety of angles and a good mix of free weight and machine, isolation and compound without being too redundant and doing too many sets.

Ox
05-19-13, 11:34 am
Ox,

What's up, man? Just wanted to say you inspire me from everything from physique to mindset on life. I admire how much you "keep it real". I met you back in 2009 at Apollon Gym in Edison, NJ when you came there for an ABC. I actually manage part time over there and are 4 weeks out of Jr Nationals. Just wanted to say whattup and when you're in the area next, come through. It'd be awesome.

Gary "G-Six" Turner

Hey Gary it's good to hear from you and I appreciate all that. Apollon is a great gym and you're fortunate to have a quality gym that supports bodybuilding nearby. I wish you the best at the Jr. Nationals and in your final weeks of prep encourage you to push harder than you ever have in the name of being better than you've ever been. All my best!

Lone Wolf
05-19-13, 6:21 pm
23 sets is quite a bit. If you have a training partner I'd try and take advantage of things like forced reps so you can really go to failure. If you're taking your sets to failure then 23 is a lot. I'd pick 4 exercises; two pressing movements and 2 fly movements and I'd probably do 1-2 warmup sets and 2 sets to failure on each. A good selection of movements would be a flat barbell press, incline dumbell press, incline dumbell fly and machine fly. That way you're getting a variety of angles and a good mix of free weight and machine, isolation and compound without being too redundant and doing too many sets.

I don't have a training partner; I'm on my own. I usually get a person at my gym to spot me for my last working set and go to failure. Thought it was better because I need more volume since I'm on my own.

Joe J
05-20-13, 9:18 am
What's up Evan? I hope everything is going well for you.

I love you approach as the 'thinking mans bodybuilder' and I would really value your opinion on some stuff for me.

First off I'm 19 years old, 201lbs, 14% bodyfat from England.

I have been doing as much research as I can recently on, rather than eating more and more carbs and fats, timing them as efficiently as I can.

I apologise if this is a lengthy post but I would like to outline my entire diet and if you could just let me know if I am moving in the right direction then I would greatly appreciate that.

I have been focussing on carb cycling (according to bodypart), separating my carb and fat meals and doing zero carbs at breakfast (a Ben Pakulski approach).

My carb cycling is as follows:
Rest/Cardio days: 250g
Moderate Carb days: Back, Legs - 330g
High Carb days (lagging body parts): Shouders + Tris, Chest + Bis.

Here is an example of a standard moderate carb day for me.

300g protein, 330g carbs, 85g fat

1) 6oz lean beef, 10g olive oil, broccoli - 1g vitamin C, 1g fish oil
2) 1 pint whole milk, 3oz lean beef, veggies
3) same as meal 2
4) (3 hrs pre workout) 6 oz chicken, 250g white potato, banana - 1g fish oil
5) (1 hrs pre workout) 50g protein - blend of whey + cassein - 1g vitamin C
6) (15 mins pre workout) - 10g BCAA's, 5g glutamine, 4g beta alanine, 4g AAKG, 4g acetyl l-carnitine, 30mg zinc
7) (intra workout) - 10g BCAA's, 35g dextrose
8) (post workout) - 50g whey isolate, 5g glutamine, 5g creatine, 3g glycine, 80g dextrose
9) (1hrs post workout) - 6oz chicken, 350g white potato, veggies, banana. - 1g fish oil, pak

Is there anything you would alter here?

Thanks for your time Evan.

Joe

Joe J
05-20-13, 9:29 am
Also bro, I was thinking of trying your keto style diet in 6 weeks. As I am much lighter than you (200 lbs), what macros should I be looking at?

Also, how do you adjust the diet as time goes on, lower the fat intake?

BB-FLEXPRO
05-21-13, 3:29 pm
Exactly...get your protein and your simple carbs and your saturated fat and your sodium etc etc but get it all from decent sources.

Just wanna to thank you one more time for your input man! I think many people (including me before you gave me the advice) are overdoing it on the cheatmeal in the way of all the processed crap, they´re stuffing down their throat. After my last cheat with highly processed carbs, I felt so sick to my stomach, it was pure inflammation of my gut. Since you have always advocated to look more into the health aspect of bodybuilding that day there really went a light on in my head because until then i constantly ignored the signs my body sent me in the way of stomach disease after such a cheat with crappy food just for the sake of having fun for one meal and feel like shit the whole day after. Personally after a hard week of dieting, I just want that big UP in calories but now I am much more satisfied with Oatmeal, Pancakes and Peanut Butter etc. than with Pizza and candys...

Ox
05-23-13, 8:53 pm
I don't have a training partner; I'm on my own. I usually get a person at my gym to spot me for my last working set and go to failure. Thought it was better because I need more volume since I'm on my own.

That's cool. Training by yourself is enjoyable. But it's good that you have help when you need it...anything to push you harder is going to help

Ox
05-23-13, 9:01 pm
What's up Evan? I hope everything is going well for you.

I love you approach as the 'thinking mans bodybuilder' and I would really value your opinion on some stuff for me.

First off I'm 19 years old, 201lbs, 14% bodyfat from England.

I have been doing as much research as I can recently on, rather than eating more and more carbs and fats, timing them as efficiently as I can.

I apologise if this is a lengthy post but I would like to outline my entire diet and if you could just let me know if I am moving in the right direction then I would greatly appreciate that.

I have been focussing on carb cycling (according to bodypart), separating my carb and fat meals and doing zero carbs at breakfast (a Ben Pakulski approach).

My carb cycling is as follows:
Rest/Cardio days: 250g
Moderate Carb days: Back, Legs - 330g
High Carb days (lagging body parts): Shouders + Tris, Chest + Bis.

Here is an example of a standard moderate carb day for me.

300g protein, 330g carbs, 85g fat

1) 6oz lean beef, 10g olive oil, broccoli - 1g vitamin C, 1g fish oil
2) 1 pint whole milk, 3oz lean beef, veggies
3) same as meal 2
4) (3 hrs pre workout) 6 oz chicken, 250g white potato, banana - 1g fish oil
5) (1 hrs pre workout) 50g protein - blend of whey + cassein - 1g vitamin C
6) (15 mins pre workout) - 10g BCAA's, 5g glutamine, 4g beta alanine, 4g AAKG, 4g acetyl l-carnitine, 30mg zinc
7) (intra workout) - 10g BCAA's, 35g dextrose
8) (post workout) - 50g whey isolate, 5g glutamine, 5g creatine, 3g glycine, 80g dextrose
9) (1hrs post workout) - 6oz chicken, 350g white potato, veggies, banana. - 1g fish oil, pak

Is there anything you would alter here?

Thanks for your time Evan.

Joe

Honestly, I have to say you're off to a reall good start. And I can tell you're pretty analytic and have put some time and logic into coming up with this. Props for a fair amount of whole food. If the milk works well for you then keep with it. Personally, I prefer meat not only because dairy bothers me but because it'smore solid and seems to put the sie on better. For example, I've always found that even if I were to get the same amount of calories etc from eggs as from meat, the eggs don't help me keep my size as well. But again, this is just me. Another thing to consider is your appetite at different times of day. for e, I'm always able to eat the ost in the morning and when trying to gain size, I make my first meal the biggest because if I try and wait to eat ore throughout the day, my appetite isn't there. But it doesn't sound like you're going for all out mass either. In the end, all I csan say is that it looks pretty good and if it's working then there's not much else to say! There's really no right or wrong, only what works and what doesn't! All the best

Ox
05-23-13, 9:02 pm
Also bro, I was thinking of trying your keto style diet in 6 weeks. As I am much lighter than you (200 lbs), what macros should I be looking at?

Also, how do you adjust the diet as time goes on, lower the fat intake?

Let me ask you what your current stats are and what your goals are.

Ox
05-23-13, 9:08 pm
Just wanna to thank you one more time for your input man! I think many people (including me before you gave me the advice) are overdoing it on the cheatmeal in the way of all the processed crap, they´re stuffing down their throat. After my last cheat with highly processed carbs, I felt so sick to my stomach, it was pure inflammation of my gut. Since you have always advocated to look more into the health aspect of bodybuilding that day there really went a light on in my head because until then i constantly ignored the signs my body sent me in the way of stomach disease after such a cheat with crappy food just for the sake of having fun for one meal and feel like shit the whole day after. Personally after a hard week of dieting, I just want that big UP in calories but now I am much more satisfied with Oatmeal, Pancakes and Peanut Butter etc. than with Pizza and candys...

Yeah I hear ya. Oftentimes, when I hear what people cheat on they say pizza, doughnuts, pastries, lasagna etc etc. All that crap may satisfy you but it's not so beneficial. You definitely want to give your body what it's missing/craving but do it in a way that's beneficial. I'm with you, I never want to feel like shit. When you are eating clean and strict for a period of time, giving your body pure crap is just a bad idea. The cheat should make you feel refueled and make your muscles feel fuller and your body look more alive. You're on the right track!

Lone Wolf
05-25-13, 6:14 pm
Ox, you're my biggest motivation dude. But anyway, for Arms day, do you think for 6 exercises are good?
example:
• Straight Barbell Curls: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
• Skull Crushers: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
• Hammer Curls: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Pushdowns: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Reverse EZ Bar Curls: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Reverse Pushdowns: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
or should I add more?

Joe J
05-26-13, 8:33 am
Let me ask you what your current stats are and what your goals are.

Im 19 years old, 196lbs and 12-14% bodyfat. I dream of being as big as the pros one day. My plan at the moment was to get my body fat down to sub 10% and bulk very slowly from there on out until i decide to compete.

Thankyou so much for the response bro

Chivalry
05-26-13, 6:25 pm
Hey Evan,

I'm about to start a ketogenic diet, very similar to what you outlined in the beginning of this thread. My question comes in regard to BCAA's while on this diet. I know that your glycogen levels are going to be low with this type of diet, but would BCAA's sipped on during workout be counterproductive consideirng they are liable to cause gluconeogenesis? Say, roughly 10 grams?

Much respect and good luck in your next show, lookin' forward to see the improvements you've made over your off-season!

iHeartless
05-27-13, 5:29 pm
Yo,

There was a 55:35 video of you on YouTube that was your documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQHQfXtMpk

It started with an interview of you and your dad at a kitchen table and you talked about how having a bigger house and all that shit really doesn't mean anything except for having a bigger house.

I used to watch the video once a week, it's the most motivational video I've ever seen.

The video was taken down and I can't find another source to watch it.

Do you happen to know where I can find this video, if it's available online as a DVD or something?

You're a massive influence to me, keep up the good work.

Ox
05-28-13, 2:35 pm
Ox, you're my biggest motivation dude. But anyway, for Arms day, do you think for 6 exercises are good?
example:
• Straight Barbell Curls: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
• Skull Crushers: 4 Sets x 6-12 Reps
• Hammer Curls: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Pushdowns: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Reverse EZ Bar Curls: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
• Reverse Pushdowns: 4 Sets x 12 Reps
or should I add more?

6 exercises are what I usually do....I think it's good for me. Good for you? Who knows?! Are you seeing positive results?

Ox
05-28-13, 2:39 pm
Im 19 years old, 196lbs and 12-14% bodyfat. I dream of being as big as the pros one day. My plan at the moment was to get my body fat down to sub 10% and bulk very slowly from there on out until i decide to compete.

Thankyou so much for the response bro

To be honest, I don't think there's any need for keto. I would make it a point to learn how to create a balanced diet that doesn't fully exclude any one macronutrient...especially considering your age. Protein will generally remain constant and you would alter your intake of carbs and fats...cycling both. If you're training hard and heavy, doing a little cardio and eating GOOD food (no crap) there's no reason you can't get in shape with a well balanced diet.

Ox
05-28-13, 2:40 pm
Hey Evan,

I'm about to start a ketogenic diet, very similar to what you outlined in the beginning of this thread. My question comes in regard to BCAA's while on this diet. I know that your glycogen levels are going to be low with this type of diet, but would BCAA's sipped on during workout be counterproductive consideirng they are liable to cause gluconeogenesis? Say, roughly 10 grams?

Much respect and good luck in your next show, lookin' forward to see the improvements you've made over your off-season!

I don't know. But I alwasy used Nitro when I did keto and I felt like they really benefited me. I used upwards of 20g during a workout. Thanks and best of luck!

Ox
05-28-13, 2:41 pm
Yo,

There was a 55:35 video of you on YouTube that was your documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQHQfXtMpk

It started with an interview of you and your dad at a kitchen table and you talked about how having a bigger house and all that shit really doesn't mean anything except for having a bigger house.

I used to watch the video once a week, it's the most motivational video I've ever seen.

The video was taken down and I can't find another source to watch it.

Do you happen to know where I can find this video, if it's available online as a DVD or something?

You're a massive influence to me, keep up the good work.

Damn...it sounds good! Is it in black and white? An Animal vid?

Riffmaster
05-28-13, 8:03 pm
Ox,
First, I just want to say you are a huge inspiration to me in all ways. I respect the hell outta you. My question is, I really want to cut out for the summer, but I want to try to maintain the massive full look in areas like my chest, upper back, and shoulders, but I want to gain total definition everywhere else. Will training those bigger areas for mass and the others for definition throw everything out of whack? The reason I want to do this is to make sure I've got the proportion I want for when I decide t bulk up again. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks,

-Riffmaster

Lone Wolf
05-29-13, 7:27 pm
6 exercises are what I usually do....I think it's good for me. Good for you? Who knows?! Are you seeing positive results?

I usually go all out on arm day and hit about 24 sets. I get results, but I just wanted your opinion on less sets/exercises.

iHeartless
05-29-13, 8:24 pm
Damn...it sounds good! Is it in black and white? An Animal vid?

Full color.

Went back and forth between your interview with you and your dad and then training bits.

You were wearing your yellow y tank (either Universal or Animal, can't remember which).

I think it was from MD. I feel like I remember the MD being in the corner of the video.

Thanks for the reply. Does it ring any bells?

iHeartless
06-02-13, 6:37 pm
Full color.

Went back and forth between your interview with you and your dad and then training bits.

You were wearing your yellow y tank (either Universal or Animal, can't remember which).

I think it was from MD. I feel like I remember the MD being in the corner of the video.

Fuckin found it, man.

It was shoulder training 5 days out from the Arnold in 2012.

Part 1: http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/pro-training/evan-centopani-animal/4269-evan-centopani-demolishes-delts-5-weeks-out-2012-asc-.html
Part 2: http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/pro-training/evan-centopani-animal/4270-evan-centopani-demolishes-delts-5-weeks-out-part-two.html

What a great fucking video.

You're an outstanding bodybuilder, an even better human being, and the absolute best role model.

Keep it real, my dude.

Much respect from VA.

Ox
06-04-13, 4:38 pm
Ox,
First, I just want to say you are a huge inspiration to me in all ways. I respect the hell outta you. My question is, I really want to cut out for the summer, but I want to try to maintain the massive full look in areas like my chest, upper back, and shoulders, but I want to gain total definition everywhere else. Will training those bigger areas for mass and the others for definition throw everything out of whack? The reason I want to do this is to make sure I've got the proportion I want for when I decide t bulk up again. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks,

-Riffmaster

Thanks pal. As for your training, I (and most others will likely tell you the same) don't think that there's any such thing as training for definition or for mass. Some might argue the difference between compound movements and isolation movements and training with hiugh reps vs low reps, heavy weight vs lighter weight etc etc. Truth is, at leas in my opinion, training should always be a combination of different movements, different rep schemes and various intensity techniques. I would simply make it a point to train hard and effectively. It's really going to be the diet that brings out the definition. As for having a different effect on different parts of the body, to the best of my knowledge that's no possible. All the best

Ox
06-04-13, 4:50 pm
I usually go all out on arm day and hit about 24 sets. I get results, but I just wanted your opinion on less sets/exercises.

Knowing myself, 24 is kind of on the high side. But then again, it all depends; are those 24 sets to failure? Are they all compound movements? And most importantly, are YOU recovering well from it? If you're growing and your arms are strong and full, keep on. If they don't quite seem to be responding, they look/feel flat and you notice things like joint pain, I'd back off. But it sounds like you're doing okay.

Ox
06-04-13, 4:52 pm
Full color.

Yeah it sounds like an MD vid. Though sometimes people out there will chop up different vids and make compilations. But this def sounds like MD. Again, glad you liked it!

Ox
06-04-13, 4:53 pm
Fuckin found it, man.

It was shoulder training 5 days out from the Arnold in 2012.

Part 1: http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/pro-training/evan-centopani-animal/4269-evan-centopani-demolishes-delts-5-weeks-out-2012-asc-.html
Part 2: http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/pro-training/evan-centopani-animal/4270-evan-centopani-demolishes-delts-5-weeks-out-part-two.html

What a great fucking video.

You're an outstanding bodybuilder, an even better human being, and the absolute best role model.

Keep it real, my dude.

Much respect from VA.

Oh yeah, that's the one! Thanks again man. Don't know that I'm the BEST role model but I sincerely appreciate it.

Riffmaster
06-04-13, 6:13 pm
Thanks pal. As for your training, I (and most others will likely tell you the same) don't think that there's any such thing as training for definition or for mass. Some might argue the difference between compound movements and isolation movements and training with hiugh reps vs low reps, heavy weight vs lighter weight etc etc. Truth is, at leas in my opinion, training should always be a combination of different movements, different rep schemes and various intensity techniques. I would simply make it a point to train hard and effectively. It's really going to be the diet that brings out the definition. As for having a different effect on different parts of the body, to the best of my knowledge that's no possible. All the best

I knew my approach was wrong as far as training for definition or mass. I've read way too many wrong articles I suppose. I'm really glad you cleared it up for me, as I've been curious about it for sometime. I'm noticing more and more with my diet that that's what really cuts you up and gives you the good striations. I'm so grateful that you responded man, you have no idea. I started one of the routines from the Animal site and so far it's exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you for taking the time to reply Ox, you're a beast!

Lone Wolf
06-05-13, 12:04 am
Knowing myself, 24 is kind of on the high side. But then again, it all depends; are those 24 sets to failure? Are they all compound movements? And most importantly, are YOU recovering well from it? If you're growing and your arms are strong and full, keep on. If they don't quite seem to be responding, they look/feel flat and you notice things like joint pain, I'd back off. But it sounds like you're doing okay.

I hit usually 12-8reps each set and yeah it's going good. Any advice on shoulder pain from the incline bench? I usually feel my shoulders more than my chest. I have long arms and bring the bar all the way down to my chest. Should I just being it to the end of my neck and up?

iamthemacattack
06-05-13, 5:09 am
Hey Ox,

Hope your dad is well and hope you are gearing up for a great Olympia showing.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on supps and what to take when you have a limited budget.

I currently take Pak and Nitro on a daily basis, and just generic cod liver oil once a day and make sure I eat plenty of nuts and olive oil for my fats.

I am currently cutting (10 weeks to go) and was wondering if the supplements you use when cutting differ from what you would take when you are bulking?

And for someone who is on a tight budget like me, what the corner stone supplements should be in my arsenal, I've read you are a firm believer in EFAs, should I add these in a stop taking the Nitro?

I was also thinking about taking cuts to get rid of the last bit of fat?

Thanks for all your time, it's appreciated brother.

Ian

Ox
06-05-13, 8:20 am
I knew my approach was wrong as far as training for definition or mass. I've read way too many wrong articles I suppose. I'm really glad you cleared it up for me, as I've been curious about it for sometime. I'm noticing more and more with my diet that that's what really cuts you up and gives you the good striations. I'm so grateful that you responded man, you have no idea. I started one of the routines from the Animal site and so far it's exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you for taking the time to reply Ox, you're a beast!

No problem! Glad things are going well

Ox
06-05-13, 8:22 am
I hit usually 12-8reps each set and yeah it's going good. Any advice on shoulder pain from the incline bench? I usually feel my shoulders more than my chest. I have long arms and bring the bar all the way down to my chest. Should I just being it to the end of my neck and up?

Two things come to mind; 1. Make sure you have a pretty good arch in your back when doing incline bench. This should help you get the bar to the top of your chest with less stretch in your delts. and 2. You might want to try pre-exhausting with some fly movements first. Let me know if this helps

Ox
06-05-13, 9:13 am
Hey Ox,

Hope your dad is well and hope you are gearing up for a great Olympia showing.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on supps and what to take when you have a limited budget.

I currently take Pak and Nitro on a daily basis, and just generic cod liver oil once a day and make sure I eat plenty of nuts and olive oil for my fats.

I am currently cutting (10 weeks to go) and was wondering if the supplements you use when cutting differ from what you would take when you are bulking?

And for someone who is on a tight budget like me, what the corner stone supplements should be in my arsenal, I've read you are a firm believer in EFAs, should I add these in a stop taking the Nitro?

Thanks for all your time, it's appreciated brother.

Ian

We must be on similar wavelengths. I feel Pak and Omega are the 2 foundation supps...I have them in there no matter what. After those 2, Nitro is my absolute favorite product and I use it whether bulking or cutting. Those are my top 3. In an offseason I will also use Torrent.

Arno
06-06-13, 12:58 pm
Let me ask you this; how long do you plan to stay off?

8 months minimum.

Ox
06-06-13, 3:11 pm
8 months minimum.

Okay. If you were going to take a break for 3 or 4 months I would say you shouldn't need anything. Seeing as you plan to take an extended break (good for you) you will probably want to do something. Both M-Stak and Animal Test are good choices as they contain plant and herbal extracts rather than actual steroids like many of the prohormones.

Arno
06-06-13, 3:15 pm
Okay. If you were going to take a break for 3 or 4 months I would say you shouldn't need anything. Seeing as you plan to take an extended break (good for you) you will probably want to do something. Both M-Stak and Animal Test are good choices as they contain plant and herbal extracts rather than actual steroids like many of the prohormones.

I'm was on test and trenbolone, but I had to cut out the trenbolone. Having read that you need some time to recover from trenbolone, I'm going to follow that advise.
I'm not looking for a prohormone, I've read enough about them to know they don't do any good. If u could choose one of both (M-Stak or Test) which would it be?

Arno
06-06-13, 3:27 pm
Correction: I am on test and trenbolone.

Ox
06-10-13, 3:53 pm
I'm was on test and trenbolone, but I had to cut out the trenbolone. Having read that you need some time to recover from trenbolone, I'm going to follow that advise.
I'm not looking for a prohormone, I've read enough about them to know they don't do any good. If u could choose one of both (M-Stak or Test) which would it be?

Personally, I'd go with M-Stak. I have used it before and it was actually very good. What prompted me to try it was the fact that I had used Methoxyisoflavone and Ecdysterone many years ago and had a very positive response to it. Using M-Stak I had a great response as well and I assume that it's from the inclusion of those compounds in the proprietary blend.

Arno
06-10-13, 3:56 pm
Personally, I'd go with M-Stak. I have used it before and it was actually very good. What prompted me to try it was the fact that I had used Methoxyisoflavone and Ecdysterone many years ago and had a very positive response to it. Using M-Stak I had a great response as well and I assume that it's from the inclusion of those compounds in the proprietary blend.

M-Stak it will be. I have used M-Stak in the past, also with great results. Now I'm more into it for the recovery part, not so much the gaining part. I want to keep most of my gains, whilst I let my body recover.

BB-FLEXPRO
06-11-13, 4:05 pm
Hey Ox!

Me again, wanna hit you up with another question...There is this current discussion about how many meals a bodybuilder should eat in a day. Since I´ve read all animal articles preaching the meal frequency thing and looked how all pro-bodybuilders eat 5-6 Meals a day I wonder why this "Intermittend-fasting" trend with 1 or 2 big meals throughout the day is so popular nowdays...Personally I´ve tried 2 big meals a day in the past and i noticed no difference between this eating style and a rigorous timed 6 meal plan, I followed before as long as I got in all my macros for the day. Nevertheless every serious bodybuilder still does the 5-6 meal style, so I wonder if there must be something to this. Fewer but bigger meals do satisfy me longer than more frequently and smaler meals especially when dieting but at the same time, I love to do 6 meals just because it´s what every top pro does and it requieres this extreme dedication and represents the whole lifestyle you know what i mean?....What´s your opinion on this??

Peace FLEX

G Diesel
06-13-13, 1:38 pm
Bless these kids with the Oxen rustic country oatmeal recipe aka my new favorite carb source.

They're going to love it.

Peace, G

Ox
06-13-13, 9:15 pm
M-Stak it will be. I have used M-Stak in the past, also with great results. Now I'm more into it for the recovery part, not so much the gaining part. I want to keep most of my gains, whilst I let my body recover.

Nice! Let me know how it goes. I want to hear about it. I don't think you'd go wrong either way but M-Stak is also the one I would choose.

Ox
06-13-13, 9:20 pm
Hey Ox!

Me again, wanna hit you up with another question...There is this current discussion about how many meals a bodybuilder should eat in a day. Since I´ve read all animal articles preaching the meal frequency thing and looked how all pro-bodybuilders eat 5-6 Meals a day I wonder why this "Intermittend-fasting" trend with 1 or 2 big meals throughout the day is so popular nowdays...Personally I´ve tried 2 big meals a day in the past and i noticed no difference between this eating style and a rigorous timed 6 meal plan, I followed before as long as I got in all my macros for the day. Nevertheless every serious bodybuilder still does the 5-6 meal style, so I wonder if there must be something to this. Fewer but bigger meals do satisfy me longer than more frequently and smaler meals especially when dieting but at the same time, I love to do 6 meals just because it´s what every top pro does and it requieres this extreme dedication and represents the whole lifestyle you know what i mean?....What´s your opinion on this??

Peace FLEX

Most serious bodybuilders do 5-6 meals each day because it would be extremely difficult for them to condense 5-6k calories into 2 or 3 meals. Personally, 4 meals would be lovely. Hell, I'd eat 2 times a day if possible...more time to do other shit. But I cannot consume the large quantity of CLEAN food I need in so few meals. If we were able to derive our calories from cheeseburgers and other calorie dense foods, 5k calories could be done in far fewer meals.

Ox
06-13-13, 9:26 pm
Bless these kids with the Oxen rustic country oatmeal recipe aka my new favorite carb source.

Peace, G

People take my recommendation too lightly UNTIL they try it. So simple yet so great. For anyone who comes across this post, do this and won't be dissapointed:

Use OLD FASHIONED OATS for best results.
1.Prepare your oatmeal as you normally would. I usually use 1/2 cup oats and approx 1 cup water and 1 banana. I let that sit for a few minutes and throw some salt in with it.
2.Then pop it in the microwave for a minute.
3.Stir.
4.If it needs more water, add it.
5.Microwave for another minute.
6.Stir.
7. If it needs more water, add it.
8. Microwave for 3 0 seconds.
9. Remove from the microwave and stir in 1 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp honey (raw is best)
10.Enjoy pure awesomeness

^I'm not being a dickhead. It really comes out best when you do it this way.

So, make your oats per usual but be sure to add salt and a banana. Once cooked add 1tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp honey.

Ox
06-13-13, 9:28 pm

Peace, G

I would use this as my exclusive carb source if possible. Hell, I might use it as my exclusive calorie source if that were feasible. I really like it too.

GUNS
06-13-13, 9:44 pm
People take my recommendation too lightly UNTIL they try it. So simple yet so great. For anyone who comes across this post, do this and won't be dissapointed:

1.Prepare your oatmeal as you normally would. I usually use 1/2 cup oats and approx 1 cup water and 1 banana. I let that sit for a few minutes and throw some salt in with it.
3.Stir.
6.Stir.
9. Remove from the microwave and stir in 1 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp honey (raw is best)

So, make your oats per usual but be sure to add salt and a banana. Once cooked add 1tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp honey.

Very Nice recipe here Ox!

Firedrake
06-13-13, 9:44 pm

3.Stir.
6.Stir.

I have GOT to try this. I've gotten so tired of every other way to have oats I've just been throwing them in a shake.

G Diesel
06-14-13, 10:07 am
I would use this as my exclusive carb source if possible. Hell, I might use it as my exclusive calorie source if that were feasible. I really like it too.

Haha. If only it were possible...

Thanks for sharing this bro. You're right--the brilliance is in the simplicity.

Peace, G

nicklepore
06-19-13, 12:45 am
Just picked up an Omega VRT350, way better than my old juicer. I've been doing 15 oz first thing in the morning and another 15 oz pre workout. Seems to be working well and helping with my recovery. When do you usually drink yours? Hope prep is going well.

Ox
06-19-13, 8:45 am
Just picked up an Omega VRT350, way better than my old juicer. I've been doing 15 oz first thing in the morning and another 15 oz pre workout. Seems to be working well and helping with my recovery. When do you usually drink yours? Hope prep is going well.

Hey pal! Glad you like the juicer. I feel that one of the greatest advantages this juicer has over others is its ability to juice leafy greens really well. So make sure you're getting some kale or something similar in there! As for the best time(s), I think first thing in the morning before eating is THE best time. The juice, like any other fluid, is best consumed on an empty stomach prior to eating...that way it descends quickly rather than mixing with the contents of your stomach. Aside from first thing in the morning, I would pick another time where you are also on an empty stomach. I know you are referring to recovering from your injury but I felt the same thing in regard to training recovery...it may not be packed with protein or anything but it is nutrient dense and that's valuable. Besides, juicing the right things should be incredibly beneficial for your liver. And when your liver is functioning well, usually everything else it.

naturalguy
06-19-13, 9:42 am

3.Stir.
6.Stir.

I've done it this way after you told me about it and it really is great, can't believe I ate it so bland for years.

Joe J
06-19-13, 10:54 am
What's up Ox?

I've been dieting for 6 weeks now and have been dropping 1-2lbs a week but want to give your keto approach a spin.

I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind taking the time to answer them bro...

1) how to you monitor progress on this diet? is the scale (after the first couple of weeks) a good indicator?

2) how do you adjust things if progress stalls. e.g. if you drop your fat intake, how much do you drop it by and if you up your cardio, how much do you increase it?

I'm 190lbs, 19 years old and about 12% body fat.

My macros are 287g protein, 122g fat.

1) 6 large whole eggs
2) 125g chicken breast with leafy greens, 25g almonds.
3) 140g lean steak mince, teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, small amount broccoli
4) 125g chicken breast, leafy greens, 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter
5) 2 scoops protein (pre workout)
6) 2 scoops protein (PWO)
7) PWO Meal - 140g lean steak mince, small amount broccoli, teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

How does this look bro?

Thanks

Joe

JHamilton24
06-19-13, 12:43 pm
Awesome video Ox-- extremely helpful. I do have a question about the egg yolks if you don't mind..

When cutting do you watch your yolk intake at all? I know there is a great debate about whether they are bad for you or not but Dr. Jim Stoppani from Muscle & Fitness, etc, has said there is new research showing the yolks are completely ok.. Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts, thanks!

Madcat
06-19-13, 12:59 pm
Evan,
This is similar to a thread I posted a while ago in regards to frozen vs. fresh veggies, but more in depth. It actually has more to do with your little one and mom in regards to their eating and choices you may have helped to influence with her diet while your daughter was being born.

My wife is a vegetarian and extremely fit, competitve runner, still runs in her 8th month of pregnency, 2.5 miles 4-5 days a week if not more. And her diet has always been pretty clean, maybe lower in protein than I would like, but since becoming preggers she has upped her protein with different kinds of fake meat, and milk. I was more curious in regards to if you have your daughter eating organic, natural, etc. Right now we are buying only organic milk and some veggys like tomatoe's, or anything that is vine grown. However I was curious about all the other things, was there anything else you truly felt needed to be organic when she was being born? I do plan to try to introduce our son to meat, but it will be pretty much left up to him how he likes it and all that. I buy my chicken from Costco, fresh, not frozen, however it is only "Natural" not organic. I've read the differences and all that, and have had experiences with chicken loaded with sodium water, and all that stuff, and know what is good vs. what isn't. But with your daughter, if you are feeding her meat, chicken, fish, are you only buying true organic, or are you okay with it being just good quality. My ground beef is also from costco, 93/7, and I eat a lot of deer, so I feel the red meat sources are pretty solid as well, but again, not organic.

Guess mainly what do you feel is best for your little one, and mother while she was being born?

Joe J
06-20-13, 8:19 am
What's up Ox?

I've been dieting for 6 weeks now and have been dropping 1-2lbs a week but want to give your keto approach a spin.

I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind taking the time to answer them bro...

1) how to you monitor progress on this diet? is the scale (after the first couple of weeks) a good indicator?

2) how do you adjust things if progress stalls. e.g. if you drop your fat intake, how much do you drop it by and if you up your cardio, how much do you increase it?

1) 6 large whole eggs
3) 140g lean steak mince, teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, small amount broccoli
7) PWO Meal - 140g lean steak mince, small amount broccoli, teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

How does this look bro?

Thanks

Joe

I have a couple of other questions if it's not too much to ask bro.

1) what are your detox protocols? I recall seeing in a video recently that you like to do some detoxes.
2) what fibre product do you recommend taking on this diet and how much daily?

Thanks bro, i'll probably have some more questions as time goes on so i'll throw them up here.

Joe

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
06-20-13, 10:13 am

3.Stir.
6.Stir.

Hey Evan,

I do something similar to this that you might enjoy.

1. 10 egg whites(whisk in 2 packets of splenda when you beat them) scramble until they are barely firm(dont over cook them)
2. microwave your oats and a banana as you prefer(in a large bowl)
3. when theres about 30 seconds left add the egg whites and a little extra water to the oats, mix it up and pop them back in the microwave

Fantastic and its a total meal in one bowl. Tastes amazing.

Mr. M
06-21-13, 6:30 pm
Hey Evan,

I'm currently on low budget and erased the animal rage from my supplement stack because it was the least fundamental for me at the moment,

I'm having like 8 oz chicken breast and 1 cup of rice or 12 oz white potatoes 1h +/- before I workout.

Do you think its good or shall I throw some bcaas or anything else before working out?

Thanks a lot

iamthemacattack
06-22-13, 7:21 am
Sup Ox,

Just wanted to say great Vid 'Big on a Budget'

I live in the UK so the prices are a bit different, but I will be giving the meat and potatoes a try in a few weeks and hoping to and some quality mass this winter.

Can't wait to see what you bring to the Olympia.

Cheers Bro.

Ian.

Ox
06-23-13, 12:36 pm
I've done it this way after you told me about it and it really is great, can't believe I ate it so bland for years.

Nice! Rice, oats and potatoes all taste so much better with some salt on them.

Ox
06-23-13, 12:43 pm
What's up Ox?

1) 6 large whole eggs

How does this look bro?

Thanks

Joe

The scale is a useful tool all yea round regardless of your goals...the number itself may be meaningless but it will let you know if you're adding or gaining too quickly. Ultimately, the way you look in the mirror, your strength in the gym, your pumps etc are all good indicators that offer insight into what is going right or wrong.

The best way to make sure progress doesn't come to a halt is to cycle carbohydrates. I used to do one cheat meal per week but in retrospect, I don't think that is often enough. I think doing a mild carb load two times per week is a good way to keep yourself full, keep your metabolism stimulated and keep your body responding in a favorable way to carbohydrates without coming out of ketosis. Cardio is usually upped as needed.

The diet looks good man. I'd start there and after one or two weeks on the diet, I'd begin throwing in 200g of carbs in one meal two times per week. Example: Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday etc

Ox
06-23-13, 12:44 pm
Awesome video Ox-- extremely helpful. I do have a question about the egg yolks if you don't mind..

When cutting do you watch your yolk intake at all? I know there is a great debate about whether they are bad for you or not but Dr. Jim Stoppani from Muscle & Fitness, etc, has said there is new research showing the yolks are completely ok.. Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts, thanks!

Egg yolks are great for you. Never discard them!

Ox
06-23-13, 12:51 pm
Evan,
This is similar to a thread I posted a while ago in regards to frozen vs. fresh veggies, but more in depth. It actually has more to do with your little one and mom in regards to their eating and choices you may have helped to influence with her diet while your daughter was being born.

My wife is a vegetarian and extremely fit, competitve runner, still runs in her 8th month of pregnency, 2.5 miles 4-5 days a week if not more. And her diet has always been pretty clean, maybe lower in protein than I would like, but since becoming preggers she has upped her protein with different kinds of fake meat, and milk. I was more curious in regards to if you have your daughter eating organic, natural, etc. Right now we are buying only organic milk and some veggys like tomatoe's, or anything that is vine grown. However I was curious about all the other things, was there anything else you truly felt needed to be organic when she was being born? I do plan to try to introduce our son to meat, but it will be pretty much left up to him how he likes it and all that. I buy my chicken from Costco, fresh, not frozen, however it is only "Natural" not organic. I've read the differences and all that, and have had experiences with chicken loaded with sodium water, and all that stuff, and know what is good vs. what isn't. But with your daughter, if you are feeding her meat, chicken, fish, are you only buying true organic, or are you okay with it being just good quality. My ground beef is also from costco, 93/7, and I eat a lot of deer, so I feel the red meat sources are pretty solid as well, but again, not organic.

Guess mainly what do you feel is best for your little one, and mother while she was being born?

My wife breast fed for the first six months but supplemented that with a milk based formula because the breast milk alone wasn't enough. We tried Organic formulas with her but she didn't like them and alwasy ended up constipated. So we stuck with the regular stuff. When it came to whole food, she always has had an incredible liking for fruit. If she could, she'd probably eat just that. But we worry about too much sugar so we do give her berries every day (we do splurge for organic). She typically wants whatever I am eating...chicken and potato, fish and rice, eggs etc. She really likes eggs and cheese. We do buy organic as often as possible. The only thing the baby eats that is not organic is my chicken and my fish (unless the fish has been farm raised and fed an "organic diet", wild fish cannot be marketed as organic...and I don't buy farm raised fish). One thing we have been doing since she was 6 or so months old was giving her a daily dose of cod liver oil. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of fish oil and animal derived omega- 3s vs plant derived omega-3s in general. And she loves breakfast sausage. Don't know why.

Ox
06-23-13, 1:02 pm
I have a couple of other questions if it's not too much to ask bro.

1) what are your detox protocols? I recall seeing in a video recently that you like to do some detoxes.
2) what fibre product do you recommend taking on this diet and how much daily?

Thanks bro, i'll probably have some more questions as time goes on so i'll throw them up here.

Joe

Detoxification should be done over the course of months and be made more of a lifestyle change than simply following a protocol for a week or so. That being said, anything that will take stress off your body is useful. Your body can and will detox itself but only when it is given the opportunity. One of the worst things about a bodybuilding diet is it constantly stresses the body by providing it with food to digest. That is a lot of work and when the body is preoccupied with digesting new material, it doesn't have the time or energy to deal with things that may have built up. That is why fasting or at least reducing your food intake and increasing activity through weigh training and especially cardio is good for detoxification. Exercise is key in terms of stimulating the lymphatic system, increasing blood flow, and even encourages the body to release toxins through increases respiration and perspiration! Strict dieting and large amounts of exercise are great for detoxification as toxins are often stored in fat tissue. Bringing your bodyfat down and running your energy reserves down very low on a daily basis is GREAT for your body as it encourages your body to metabolize things that may have been stored for a will. Stagnation in general is the antithesis of good health. There are dietary changes etc that I could recommend but doing the above will get you the furthest the fastest.

For fiber, I mix a couple thing. I use 3 products; Yerba Prima Psylium Husk Powder, Flora Floralax and NOW Orange Flavored Psylium Husk Powder (sweetened with stevia). 2 parts, 2 parts and 1 part respectively. I use 1 tbsp 2x daily.

Ox
06-23-13, 1:03 pm
Hey Evan,

I do something similar to this that you might enjoy.

1. 10 egg whites(whisk in 2 packets of splenda when you beat them) scramble until they are barely firm(dont over cook them)
2. microwave your oats and a banana as you prefer(in a large bowl)
3. when theres about 30 seconds left add the egg whites and a little extra water to the oats, mix it up and pop them back in the microwave

Fantastic and its a total meal in one bowl. Tastes amazing.

Sorry bro, you lost me at egg whites! BARF!

Ox
06-23-13, 1:04 pm
Hey Evan,

I'm currently on low budget and erased the animal rage from my supplement stack because it was the least fundamental for me at the moment,

I'm having like 8 oz chicken breast and 1 cup of rice or 12 oz white potatoes 1h +/- before I workout.

Do you think its good or shall I throw some bcaas or anything else before working out?

Thanks a lot

Sounds fine to me. Do you feel like you're missing something?

Ox
06-23-13, 1:06 pm
Sup Ox,

Just wanted to say great Vid 'Big on a Budget'

I live in the UK so the prices are a bit different, but I will be giving the meat and potatoes a try in a few weeks and hoping to and some quality mass this winter.

Can't wait to see what you bring to the Olympia.

Cheers Bro.

Ian.

Glad you liked the vid. Of course, prices vary as does everyone's specific needs. But the main idea was that with some planning, you can make your cash go pretty far if you buy the right things at the right price. Thanks man and again, I'm glad you liked it. Best of luck.

Lone Wolf
06-24-13, 12:58 am
Yo OX, saw your big on budget video and it def. helped me out since I'm 17 and paying for my own shit. My only question is what could replace eggs? I just hate eggs and whenever I do eat eggs, my stomach starts hurling and it's not a pleasant experience. Anything I could eat that replaces eggs while still getting the same effect? Would 8oz chicken be good as a replacement? Also, money is getting tight and the whey has got to go. Any tips on how to live without it? I was thinking of just drinking a ton of milk. Thanks Ox.

Joe J
06-24-13, 4:01 am
Ox,

Firstly thanks for your advice bro, its invaluable to me and everybody else on this board. Its inspiring that you take the time to read and answer all of out questions.

I have one more question if you dont mind,

I am 12% bodyfat give or take and i want to slam it down. Im doing the palumbo style diet i posted above, lifting 4x per week and am doing cardio 5x per week for 30 minutes sticking around 120-130bpm.

Ive read that you up the cardio ten mins each week, does this mean next week increase my cardio to 40 mins 5x per week, and then the following week 50 mins 5x per week?

Thanks so much bro

Joe

Joe J
06-24-13, 5:58 am
Ox,

Firstly thanks for your advice bro, its invaluable to me and everybody else on this board. Its inspiring that you take the time to read and answer all of out questions.

I am 12% bodyfat give or take and i want to slam it down. Im doing the palumbo style diet i posted above, lifting 4x per week and am doing cardio 5x per week for 30 minutes sticking around 120-130bpm.

Ive read that you up the cardio ten mins each week, does this mean next week increase my cardio to 40 mins 5x per week, and then the following week 50 mins 5x per week?

Thanks so much bro

Joe

Also bro, what amount of aminos do you suggest to consume daily?

I usually sip 12g throughout the day and have 12g immediately following my workout. Is this too much?

Thanks so much

Joe

Madcat
06-24-13, 10:17 am
Thanks Evan, apprecaite you taking the time to reply.

Joe J
06-24-13, 10:25 am

I usually sip 12g throughout the day and have 12g immediately following my workout. Is this too much?

Thanks so much

Joe

Shit sorry to take over this thread but another question has come to mind and I know how privileged we are to have your knowledge on board.

What is your opinion on the theory that mixing the intake of carbs and fats at the same time is less than adequate and also that consuming fats around your workout should not be done due to it inhibiting the speed of absorption of protein?

Thanks bro,

Joe

NJC_Manhattan
06-26-13, 1:08 pm
Great video Ox. Direct and to the point on food/budget and what matters in nutrition. Really love these kind of videos/insight. Keep it coming big man.

Joe J
06-26-13, 2:46 pm
Wow, its finished. Ive been obsessively reading this thread front to back all week and ive just finished it... All on my phone too! Ive learnt so fucking much! Serious Evan, thanks man. You taking your time out to answer every question is really helping A LOT of people.

johnnylawyer
06-26-13, 5:52 pm
Hey Evan, a quick message to say thank you for the vid. It's really cool watching you explain in simple words how anyone can obtain proper nutrition to make gains, and live healthier. You are very considerate and honest with us, definitely a role model and inspiration. Cheers from a bro from Mexico, keep it up big Ox..!

auburn_1984
06-30-13, 11:21 pm
Ox,

I have a question mainly in need of some advice. I work out and diet for fun not really for shows. I have always been on the bigger size (higher BF) then your average guy. My question is do you count calories and macros in the offseason and contest prep? How does your macros vary between the two? What do you do to get the final details in the week of and week prior to contest?

Mr. M
07-05-13, 8:09 pm
Sounds fine to me. Do you feel like you're missing something?

I get lack of energy mid-way the training session, specially during the heavy sets, I have to take an extra minute during working sets

do you think it could be fixed if I just throw 1 or 2 scoops of carboplus during workout?

thanks bro!

Wingman
07-06-13, 3:46 pm
Any thoughts on swimming for cardio?

Tiger
07-09-13, 7:06 am
Hey Evan,

I've just made myself some Poke and it was amazing! I know a lot of people say not to eat too much tuna because of mercury content, so I'm wondering how often you would recommend having it?

I'm struggling a bit for variety on my diet right now - cutting is a bitch.

My poke recipe is:

Tuna steak - cut into cubes
Mix in a bowl with sea salt, crushed chilli's, spring onion and white onion (sliced/diced).
Once dry ingredients are mixed add 2/3 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
Mix again and then leave in fridge for 15 mins (minimum).

Any issues with eating raw tuna regularly?

Egypt
07-09-13, 7:24 pm
hey ox

i'm a trauma surgeon in the german military serving in afghanistan. i'm 34 years old and been training for a few years but never really managed to put on a lot of muscle.

but now i want to try to put on as much muscle as possible before i become too old.

what would your advice be regarding training:

5/3/1, full body 3x a week, volume training, maybe one of the split routines on animalpak.com?

i've been following your carreer over the last years so your advice means a lot to me

thx
egypt

Universal Rep
07-10-13, 11:19 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aWKFRardgo

Ox
07-10-13, 9:36 pm
Yo OX, saw your big on budget video and it def. helped me out since I'm 17 and paying for my own shit. My only question is what could replace eggs? I just hate eggs and whenever I do eat eggs, my stomach starts hurling and it's not a pleasant experience. Anything I could eat that replaces eggs while still getting the same effect? Would 8oz chicken be good as a replacement? Also, money is getting tight and the whey has got to go. Any tips on how to live without it? I was thinking of just drinking a ton of milk. Thanks Ox.

Glad the vid helped! That sucks in regards to the eggs. Eggs are an incredible bang for the buck and to be honest, I can't think of anything that offers the same nutrition for the price. But another thing that does come to mind is cottage cheese. When I was coming up (and could handle dairy a lot better) I would often make a meal out of a container of whole fat cottage cheese. Canned tuna is of course another good one as cans are available for well under a buck.

Ox
07-10-13, 9:39 pm
Ox,

Thanks so much bro

Joe

That is what was meant by upping the cardio...10 min per day each week. But knowing what I know now, you don't HAVE to continually up your cardio. You're better off varying the intensity of the cardio through the use of different cardio pieces like the step mill and doing things like intervals. Even wearing a weight vest is a good idea for upping intensity.

Ox
07-10-13, 9:44 pm

Thanks so much

Joe

I'm a HUGE Animal Nitro fan and it is without a doubt the supplement that I consume the most of. When dieting I'll do 2 paks during training and 2 more paks during cardio. 2 paks yields 7g of BCAAs plus about 5g of other aminos for a total of 12g. Done twice a day is 14g of BCAAs and a total of 24g of aminos....we must be on similar wavelengths!

Ox
07-10-13, 9:46 pm
Thanks Evan, apprecaite you taking the time to reply.

I appreciate the opportunity to reply!

Ox
07-10-13, 9:48 pm
Shit sorry to take over this thread but another question has come to mind and I know how privileged we are to have your knowledge on board.

What is your opinion on the theory that mixing the intake of carbs and fats at the same time is less than adequate and also that consuming fats around your workout should not be done due to it inhibiting the speed of absorption of protein?

Thanks bro,

Joe

I would argue that combining carbs and fats is MORE than adequate for most people and unless you are a hard gainer or simply trying to put on size you don't need to combine the two. But I do not buy into the idea that fats around the time of training delays nutrients to the point of hindering the rate of absoption/utilization.

Ox
07-10-13, 9:49 pm
Great video Ox. Direct and to the point on food/budget and what matters in nutrition. Really love these kind of videos/insight. Keep it coming big man.

Hey man long time no see/talk! Glad you liked the vid and I hope all is well.

Ox
07-10-13, 9:50 pm
Wow, its finished. Ive been obsessively reading this thread front to back all week and ive just finished it... All on my phone too! Ive learnt so fucking much! Serious Evan, thanks man. You taking your time out to answer every question is really helping A LOT of people.

All on your phone?! That's brutal. I think I'd be blind. Glad you found some useful stuff.

Ox
07-10-13, 9:56 pm
Hey Evan, a quick message to say thank you for the vid. It's really cool watching you explain in simple words how anyone can obtain proper nutrition to make gains, and live healthier. You are very considerate and honest with us, definitely a role model and inspiration. Cheers from a bro from Mexico, keep it up big Ox..!

Damn man I'm really glad you liked the vid and thank you for the compliments. Obviously, I can't take full credit as it's the guys at Universal who came up with the idea and pushed to make the vid! I'm always reminded of what a solid company they are because I work for them...hopefully even though the people who read these forums and purchase Universal/Animal products may never meet the people behind the scenes, they can sense the sincerity and love for the sport that these guys have as a company!

Ox
07-10-13, 9:59 pm
Ox,

I have a question mainly in need of some advice. I work out and diet for fun not really for shows. I have always been on the bigger size (higher BF) then your average guy. My question is do you count calories and macros in the offseason and contest prep? How does your macros vary between the two? What do you do to get the final details in the week of and week prior to contest?

I do keep track of food in both the offseason and precontest. The main difference is in the adjustment of calories from carbs and fats. Protein remains relatively constant. I don't have a set formula or predetermined amount by which things get reduced etc...it's all "as necessary". I don't do anything in the final weeks prior to the show other than continue to diet and maintain an proper balance of condition and size.

Ox
07-10-13, 10:02 pm
I get lack of energy mid-way the training session, specially during the heavy sets, I have to take an extra minute during working sets

do you think it could be fixed if I just throw 1 or 2 scoops of carboplus during workout?

thanks bro!

Probably not. If it's a nutritional deficiency then you're best off trying to increase food intake in the meals leading up to training. Carboplus IS great during training but will likely not be enough to make up for a lack of proper nutrition if that is the case. Carbs during training will help to replenish glycogen stoers and prevent them from emptying too much but won't do a whole lot in terms of giving you extra energy....that will come from your diet.

Ox
07-10-13, 10:04 pm
Any thoughts on swimming for cardio?

None whatsoever! I know too little about it/have never implemented it so I really can't have much of an opinion on it! You?

Ox
07-10-13, 10:17 pm
Hey Evan,

I've just made myself some Poke and it was amazing! I know a lot of people say not to eat too much tuna because of mercury content, so I'm wondering how often you would recommend having it?

I'm struggling a bit for variety on my diet right now - cutting is a bitch.

My poke recipe is:

Tuna steak - cut into cubes
Mix in a bowl with sea salt, crushed chilli's, spring onion and white onion (sliced/diced).
Once dry ingredients are mixed add 2/3 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
Mix again and then leave in fridge for 15 mins (minimum).

Any issues with eating raw tuna regularly?

I've never heard of or had poke...but it sounds damn good! As you might know, tuna is regarded as one of the biggest offenders when it comes to fish that care likely to contain high levels of mercury. When you cook fish, some of the mercury is released. So I guess that makes for more bad news as raw fish is, for that reason also considered worse than cooked fish in regards to mercury content. Also raw fish can contain parasites.

BUT it's not doomed! Two things come to mind! One is that increasing your intake of fresh garlic might be a good idea. Garlic is great for killing parasites and is a must in my opinion when eating raw fish. If you don't like fresh raw garlic you can buy freeze dried raw garlic...that's the next best thing...don't mess with aged garlic extracts etc...all crap. The other thing that may be a good idea is to consume chlorella. Chlorella acts to chelate mercury and help it pass through your system before it deposits itself in your tissues. If you decide to purchase this, be sure to one that is labeled not only as having a "broken cell wall" but also as using the "dyno mill process"....that wll be a superior product. So I don't think it's a bad idea to continue eating poke but you might want to call in the reinforcements. Those two products have a huge list of other benefits as well.

Ox
07-10-13, 10:25 pm
hey ox

i'm a trauma surgeon in the german military serving in afghanistan. i'm 34 years old and been training for a few years but never really managed to put on a lot of muscle.

but now i want to try to put on as much muscle as possible before i become too old.

what would your advice be regarding training:

5/3/1, full body 3x a week, volume training, maybe one of the split routines on animalpak.com?

i've been following your carreer over the last years so your advice means a lot to me

thx
egypt

If you're just starting out I would begin with some circuit training a few times a week just to get the body acclimated to the idea of resistance training. During this time I wouldn't train to failure or lift heavy but would simply try to establish a solid mind muscle connection and feel the targeted muscles working. From there I would begin by training 3 days a week; chest one day, back another and legs on the remaining day. I would use predominantly free weights and seek to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible by making foundation movements like squats, deadlifts barbell rows and bench presses the MAIN focus of your training and I would seek to PERFECT those movements. I would train heavily and to failure. After a couple months of that I might add in another day or two for arms and shoulders training 5 days a week maximum. You don't need a routine. go to the gym keeping in mind that the sole purpose is to challenge your body and push your muscles to failure. Doesn't much matter how you do that so long as you do it with intensity and don't take all day to do it.

Wingman
07-10-13, 11:52 pm
None whatsoever! I know too little about it/have never implemented it so I really can't have much of an opinion on it! You?

I recently started about 3 weeks ago. I find it a lot more enjoyable than running and the low impact feels good on the joints. Overall it is a nice alternative. Rather than the tiredness I would normally get from cardio, it reminds me more of a warm-up for the gym.

Tiger
07-11-13, 3:44 am
Evan,

Thanks for the response. You are the man!

I'll probably try chopping up a clove or two of garlic and throwing it in with the poke. Give the recipe a try, bud. Modify the amount of chilli flakes depending on how much of a kick you like.

I've currently got a greens supp that I use from time to time, which has some chlorella in it, but I'll double check what you said.

On that topic, I really think an "Animal Greens" would work as an awesome supp! I think we could all use some extra greens in our diets, and I can picture a green Animal can (a bit like the military edition of Animal Pak).

Joe J
07-11-13, 4:59 am
All on your phone?! That's brutal. I think I'd be blind. Glad you found some useful stuff.

Thanks for your responses bro. They've really helped me.

So for the cardio. Im currently doing 6x40min sessions a week keeping heart rate between 120-130. So if fat loss were to stall would you increase the intensity i.e heartrate or would you increase the time? (Knowing what you know now)

Thanks so much man

Joe

Joe J
07-11-13, 9:15 am
Sorry to ask another question mate but another one i've been thinking about.

If you are off season and stall progress and wish to increase your caloric intake, by which ratio would you do this in terms of pro/fat/carbs? I.e if you were to add 200 calories, how much of this would be protein, carbs and fat?

I know most people just increase carb intake but from what ive gathered in this thread you prefer to increase the other macros aswell?

Many thanks bro

Joe

solomon_caine
07-11-13, 9:57 am
sorry for the off-topic question but...are weighted leg lunges better than bodyweight leg lunges?

NJC_Manhattan
07-11-13, 10:57 am
Hey man long time no see/talk! Glad you liked the vid and I hope all is well.

Things are great man. Just plugging away at work unfortunately. You're looking small.... jk man. Strong work as per usual.

John B
07-11-13, 2:12 pm
Kind of running late re: compliments on the video, but just wanted to say thanks. I gave the link to my son who is an aspiring bodybuilder and a typical "starving" college student who works part time and gets financial aid. He went out and did just what you suggested, purchasing eggs, chicken, and broccoli and saved a ton of money while also saving time by prepping things in advance. At my age, and coming up on retirement, I am blessed with the time and money to purchase quality, organic food and prepare it as I need it, but the information you put out is truly invaluable to others like my son (and an ongoing learning experience for me).

Tiger
07-12-13, 4:04 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aWKFRardgo

Hey Evan,

Can we get those Animal shirts released?

And the blue Universal ones that were similar (with the stripes on the sleeves)?

I'd get a few of those bad boys shipped over to Scotland! Large's and XL's for me to grow into! Sweet threads!

I think my wardrobe is about 60% Animal/Universal gear now! Haha.

Unknown
07-12-13, 11:30 am
Hi Evan new fan of yours I can say.. My friend couple of days ago showed me some of your training and you look SICK man. Question is where would the best place for your updated training vids would be?

Regards!

BB-FLEXPRO
07-14-13, 7:57 am
Hey Evan!

Just saw this video from you on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ocn2n8BFQ
And i just wanted to give you HUGE (!!) probs for your journey just fuckin incredible from being an overweight kid to creating such an ästhetic pleasing but thick and muscular physique!
Your waist in that video is so slim really awesome! Do you remember how much you weighted in there at 2006 Nats? You´re big inspiration especially for someone like me who was overweight too and now has do deal with loose skin but it seems to be possible to create such a slim mid section even with that background thank you very much!

mass3011
07-14-13, 11:01 am
Alright dude, what does the diet look like now has it changed much under Chris?

Egypt
07-15-13, 2:46 pm
If you're just starting out I would begin with some circuit training a few times a week just to get the body acclimated to the idea of resistance training. During this time I wouldn't train to failure or lift heavy but would simply try to establish a solid mind muscle connection and feel the targeted muscles working. From there I would begin by training 3 days a week; chest one day, back another and legs on the remaining day. I would use predominantly free weights and seek to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible by making foundation movements like squats, deadlifts barbell rows and bench presses the MAIN focus of your training and I would seek to PERFECT those movements. I would train heavily and to failure. After a couple months of that I might add in another day or two for arms and shoulders training 5 days a week maximum. You don't need a routine. go to the gym keeping in mind that the sole purpose is to challenge your body and push your muscles to failure. Doesn't much matter how you do that so long as you do it with intensity and don't take all day to do it.

thank you very much for your answer.

what surprises me most is that you said i dont need a routine. i never thought about just going to the gym and workout without a set routine but i´ll definetly try it.

best wishes

egypt

Slaughter
07-17-13, 12:52 pm
Hey Ox ...first just wanted to say the wealth of knowledge I have absorbed from your replies alone to the members have helped me along my journey and I thank you for that...Secondly I was wondering if you could help me out with my diet. Last year I lost 68 pounds... But went about it all the wrong way... Right now I weigh 368 @ 6'5"... I'm a big Guy and aren't sure what my body fat is. Wen I lost the weight I cut my calories down to 1800 and tracked EVERYTHING.bug paid Zero attention to my macros..there was no quality.. I was obsessed with calories and it kinda ruined me... Got laid off from my union and binge ate over the summer and gained it back by January of this year.. I started this year in may at the heaviest I ever was .. Strong... But heavy..398..now I'm down to 368... I don't count calories ... I was eating
1. Eggs. & oats
2,3,4. 5oz grilled chicken w broccoli or string beans
5. Two 4oz tilapia or cod fillets with 3/4 cup brown rice
6. Casein shake before bed
If I don't have time or am stuck somewhere I drink a whey shake

I cut the carbs out completely after reading almost entirely through the stable ..I supplement with Pak,Pump,nitro ,flex, omega, ON procomplex, ON casein...and alternate weeks of taking c4 & pump..I lift as heavy as I possibly can every week while keeping form and concentrating on the given muscle for kind connection... I would just really help to get insight from a brick house such as yourself which hopefully one day I can resemble the physique of..fat loss is primary right now ...

Sorry for the extremely long post and thank you in advance Ox... It's sincerely appreciated

Sup3rCell
07-17-13, 8:50 pm
Hey Evan,

I may be spending my next semester in the bridgeport/fairfield area and was looking for a good gym to train at... I have a wacky schedule so I was hoping to find a 24 hour facility. I trained at your stomping grounds for the first time a few weeks ago and man is that one hell of a gym... its definitely a place I would try to visit on the weekends. Maybe one day I'll have the honor of calling Powerhouse New Haven my home. Until then I was hoping you could point me in the direction of a quality 24 hour gym... I've googled like crazy but to no avail haha... even if it isnt 24/7 can you make any recommendations?

Thanks Again

zare89zax
07-18-13, 1:10 pm
Dear Evan I'm a big fan. I have a question about your cardio workout. My question is do u you drink water during your cardio training? If the answer is no please explain why. And good luck on your next competition.

auburn_1984
07-25-13, 5:10 am
I do keep track of food in both the offseason and precontest. The main difference is in the adjustment of calories from carbs and fats. Protein remains relatively constant. I don't have a set formula or predetermined amount by which things get reduced etc...it's all "as necessary". I don't do anything in the final weeks prior to the show other than continue to diet and maintain an proper balance of condition and size.

When you say the main difference between off season and precontest is carbs and fats im going to guess you lower the carbs and up the fat a little bit? I was just wondering because I see videos on youtube of antoine v. And wrath eating things like fries hamburgers and brownies right before a show and was wondering if u did thd same and if so what is the purpose in it?

Ox
07-27-13, 4:39 pm
I recently started about 3 weeks ago. I find it a lot more enjoyable than running and the low impact feels good on the joints. Overall it is a nice alternative. Rather than the tiredness I would normally get from cardio, it reminds me more of a warm-up for the gym.

Well now that does sound nice! If it works and you enjoy it then there's not much else to say! Keep on

Ox
07-27-13, 4:41 pm
Evan,

Thanks for the response. You are the man!

I'll probably try chopping up a clove or two of garlic and throwing it in with the poke. Give the recipe a try, bud. Modify the amount of chilli flakes depending on how much of a kick you like.

I've currently got a greens supp that I use from time to time, which has some chlorella in it, but I'll double check what you said.

On that topic, I really think an "Animal Greens" would work as an awesome supp! I think we could all use some extra greens in our diets, and I can picture a green Animal can (a bit like the military edition of Animal Pak).

Good shit.

Hey man, I'm 100% in favor of products that encourage health...a basic yet comprehensive sub-line would be even better!

Ox
07-27-13, 4:46 pm
Thanks for your responses bro. They've really helped me.

So for the cardio. Im currently doing 6x40min sessions a week keeping heart rate between 120-130. So if fat loss were to stall would you increase the intensity i.e heartrate or would you increase the time? (Knowing what you know now)

Thanks so much man

Joe

I'd probably up the intensity on days when training isn't as crazy (arm, shoulders, chest day etc). And I'd be inlcined to go for longer duration on days when training is a bit more intense.

Ox
07-27-13, 4:49 pm
Sorry to ask another question mate but another one i've been thinking about.

If you are off season and stall progress and wish to increase your caloric intake, by which ratio would you do this in terms of pro/fat/carbs? I.e if you were to add 200 calories, how much of this would be protein, carbs and fat?

I know most people just increase carb intake but from what ive gathered in this thread you prefer to increase the other macros aswell?

Many thanks bro

Joe

I would likely increase whichever macro I craved/felt I needed the most. By how much? I'd probably add 50g of protein or carbs or 30g of fat.

Ox
07-27-13, 4:53 pm
sorry for the off-topic question but...are weighted leg lunges better than bodyweight leg lunges?

If you're going to do them as a standalone movement I would do them weighted. As part of a superset, if you can't handle the weight then I would use your bodyweight. The idea behind training is to use as much resistance as possible in a safe and effective manner. So to answer your question, if you can handle adding weight, then yes, they are better.

Ox
07-27-13, 4:54 pm
Things are great man. Just plugging away at work unfortunately. You're looking small.... jk man. Strong work as per usual.

Good shit bro. Carry on

Ox
07-27-13, 4:55 pm
Kind of running late re: compliments on the video, but just wanted to say thanks. I gave the link to my son who is an aspiring bodybuilder and a typical "starving" college student who works part time and gets financial aid. He went out and did just what you suggested, purchasing eggs, chicken, and broccoli and saved a ton of money while also saving time by prepping things in advance. At my age, and coming up on retirement, I am blessed with the time and money to purchase quality, organic food and prepare it as I need it, but the information you put out is truly invaluable to others like my son (and an ongoing learning experience for me).

Man that is so awesome to hear. I'm really glad the vid was useful. Give him my best when you talk to him!

Ox
07-27-13, 4:58 pm
Hey Evan,

Can we get those Animal shirts released?

And the blue Universal ones that were similar (with the stripes on the sleeves)?

I'd get a few of those bad boys shipped over to Scotland! Large's and XL's for me to grow into! Sweet threads!

I think my wardrobe is about 60% Animal/Universal gear now! Haha.

The one I was wearing is from the Arnold and the blue one was from the Olympia. The best way to get the things you want is to voice your opinion on what you like and dislike just like did in this thread....corporate is watching (and reading)!

Mr. M
07-27-13, 4:59 pm
Probably not. If it's a nutritional deficiency then you're best off trying to increase food intake in the meals leading up to training. Carboplus IS great during training but will likely not be enough to make up for a lack of proper nutrition if that is the case. Carbs during training will help to replenish glycogen stoers and prevent them from emptying too much but won't do a whole lot in terms of giving you extra energy....that will come from your diet.

Thanks mate, actually I changed from white rice to brown rice and sweet potatoe pre workout and I'm way better off this way, I guess white rice digests to quickly in my organism, makes sense since it's a moderate/high GI carb.

Thanks once again for all your help!

P.S: smash it over Tampa!

J.May05
07-29-13, 9:18 am
Hey Evan,

First of all, a huge thanks from me and everyone out there in college trying to lead this lifestyle. Videos like Big on a Budget are invaluable. I just have a quick simple question.

Fortunately, I benefit from financial aid and can afford some bulk whey, so I am going to incorporate those two shakes you mentioned in the article. When would you recommend drinking those to benefit the most from them? For what it's worth, my schedule dictates that I train in the evening (5-6pm), so I have no trouble getting in another chicken or egg meal after that.

Again, a huge thanks for being an inspiration to myself and many others. Keep it up big guy,

Jared

iamthemacattack
07-31-13, 8:38 am
Hi Evan,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this - I have been cutting since January (well more like general weight and fat loss) and have got down from around 235lbs to around 198lb, my body fat has dropped from 25% to what I would guess is maybe 123%ish - abs are just visible.

I go for a 2 week vacation in 2 weeks, where I am not going to train and I am going to eat what I want.

After this would you advise continuing to cut until I get my bodyfat sub 10% or maybe bulking and trying to add some more muscle mass before cutting again next January/February time?

Thanks for you help as always

Ian

iamthemacattack
07-31-13, 8:38 am
Hi Evan,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this - I have been cutting since January (well more like general weight and fat loss) and have got down from around 235lbs to around 198lb, my body fat has dropped from 25% to what I would guess is maybe 13%ish - abs are just visible.

I go for a 2 week vacation in 2 weeks, where I am not going to train and I am going to eat what I want.

After this would you advise continuing to cut until I get my bodyfat sub 10% or maybe bulking and trying to add some more muscle mass before cutting again next January/February time?

Ian

Ox
08-03-13, 4:55 pm
Hi Evan new fan of yours I can say.. My friend couple of days ago showed me some of your training and you look SICK man. Question is where would the best place for your updated training vids would be?

Regards!

Thanks pal...much appreciated! Vids go up here and there right here on animalpak.com and also at musculardevelopment.com Universal/Animal has a youtube channel and I'd be sure to stay current on that as well!

Ox
08-03-13, 4:59 pm
Hey Evan!

Just saw this video from you on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ocn2n8BFQ
And i just wanted to give you HUGE (!!) probs for your journey just fuckin incredible from being an overweight kid to creating such an ästhetic pleasing but thick and muscular physique!
Your waist in that video is so slim really awesome! Do you remember how much you weighted in there at 2006 Nats? You´re big inspiration especially for someone like me who was overweight too and now has do deal with loose skin but it seems to be possible to create such a slim mid section even with that background thank you very much!

Thanks man. I weighed in at 245 for that show and was probably somewhere around 238 or so onstage.

It's definitely possible to tighten up your midsection and bring the skin back. You want to do two things. First is try and build muscle to fill the skin out and give the skin some muscle to tighten around and second would be to maintain a LOW bodyfat percentage for an extended period of time...over time the skin should tighten up. Best of luck!

Ox
08-03-13, 5:02 pm
Alright dude, what does the diet look like now has it changed much under Chris?

It's crazy, whacky, extreme bro-sciencey stuff. It's all about the liver and onions.

Ox
08-03-13, 5:03 pm
thank you very much for your answer.

what surprises me most is that you said i dont need a routine. i never thought about just going to the gym and workout without a set routine but i´ll definetly try it.

best wishes

egypt

That's because you've already read too much! The more you read the more confused you get. Just challenge yourself...that's what the body responds to.

Ox
08-03-13, 5:12 pm
Hey Ox ...first just wanted to say the wealth of knowledge I have absorbed from your replies alone to the members have helped me along my journey and I thank you for that...Secondly I was wondering if you could help me out with my diet. Last year I lost 68 pounds... But went about it all the wrong way... Right now I weigh 368 @ 6'5"... I'm a big Guy and aren't sure what my body fat is. Wen I lost the weight I cut my calories down to 1800 and tracked EVERYTHING.bug paid Zero attention to my macros..there was no quality.. I was obsessed with calories and it kinda ruined me... Got laid off from my union and binge ate over the summer and gained it back by January of this year.. I started this year in may at the heaviest I ever was .. Strong... But heavy..398..now I'm down to 368... I don't count calories ... I was eating
1. Eggs. & oats
2,3,4. 5oz grilled chicken w broccoli or string beans
5. Two 4oz tilapia or cod fillets with 3/4 cup brown rice
6. Casein shake before bed
If I don't have time or am stuck somewhere I drink a whey shake

I cut the carbs out completely after reading almost entirely through the stable ..I supplement with Pak,Pump,nitro ,flex, omega, ON procomplex, ON casein...and alternate weeks of taking c4 & pump..I lift as heavy as I possibly can every week while keeping form and concentrating on the given muscle for kind connection... I would just really help to get insight from a brick house such as yourself which hopefully one day I can resemble the physique of..fat loss is primary right now ...

Sorry for the extremely long post and thank you in advance Ox... It's sincerely appreciated

A couple of things come to mind:

1. Don't eliminate carbs entirely...I'd throw them in here and there...say for example you could load on them on Monday night and Thiursday night...200g is a good place to start.

2. I'd increase your protein portions a bit...8 oz of animal protein per meal is more appropriate.

3. If you're going to get rid of carbs for the rest of the week you have to have fats with your meals. 1/3 cup of nuts or 1.5 tbsp of olive oil per meal is a good place to start.

4. If you start a diet too low, you will have nothing to cut out. You're already at a point with this diet that looks like rock bottom...you really can't eliminate anything as time goes on. You need more calories overall so by adding more protein and fat to meals you can start higher and tighten things up as time goes on.

5. Have some different veggies in your diet.

6. Consider a cleanse...being overweight is linked to a build up of toxins and a sluggish system in general...the better your organs are functioning the more fat you will burn...the liver is key. Include raw grated beets in your diet, they're great for cleaning your liver and your digestive system.

7. Train HARD...nothing burns fat like hard training...if you want to see a change you have to push yourself. So don't fuck around. Go hard with cardio too.

8. Good luck. Believe in what you do...that's more important than anything.

Ox
08-03-13, 5:15 pm
Hey Evan,

I may be spending my next semester in the bridgeport/fairfield area and was looking for a good gym to train at... I have a wacky schedule so I was hoping to find a 24 hour facility. I trained at your stomping grounds for the first time a few weeks ago and man is that one hell of a gym... its definitely a place I would try to visit on the weekends. Maybe one day I'll have the honor of calling Powerhouse New Haven my home. Until then I was hoping you could point me in the direction of a quality 24 hour gym... I've googled like crazy but to no avail haha... even if it isnt 24/7 can you make any recommendations?

Thanks Again

That's an easy one...there are no good gyms in the area! The only one worth going to is Powerhouse New Haven. The rest are geared toward fitness and are marginal at best. If I had to make a reccomendation I'd have to say Fitness4000 on Park Ave in Bridgeport. If you're going to school in the area, see if your school has a good gym. Sacred Heart has a pretty good one.

Ox
08-03-13, 5:22 pm
Dear Evan I'm a big fan. I have a question about your cardio workout. My question is do u you drink water during your cardio training? If the answer is no please explain why. And good luck on your next competition.

I do drink during cardio. However, the intensity of the cardio may limit how much I'm actually able to drink during the session. Usually ends up being around a half liter for 45 minutes. Thanks and all the best to you too

Ox
08-03-13, 5:25 pm
When you say the main difference between off season and precontest is carbs and fats im going to guess you lower the carbs and up the fat a little bit? I was just wondering because I see videos on youtube of antoine v. And wrath eating things like fries hamburgers and brownies right before a show and was wondering if u did thd same and if so what is the purpose in it?

Don't pay attention to that. That has no relevance to you.

When dietting (or at any other time for that matter) we strove to give our bodies the correct amounts of the correct nutrients. Depending on the goal and the individual, that can mean a million different things. What anyone else does doesn't mean much.

Ox
08-03-13, 5:26 pm
Thanks mate, actually I changed from white rice to brown rice and sweet potatoe pre workout and I'm way better off this way, I guess white rice digests to quickly in my organism, makes sense since it's a moderate/high GI carb.

Thanks once again for all your help!

P.S: smash it over Tampa!

Hey man, it's all about what works...there is no right or wrong...just what works and what doesn't.

Thanks pal and good luck!

Ox
08-03-13, 5:29 pm
Hey Evan,

First of all, a huge thanks from me and everyone out there in college trying to lead this lifestyle. Videos like Big on a Budget are invaluable. I just have a quick simple question.

Fortunately, I benefit from financial aid and can afford some bulk whey, so I am going to incorporate those two shakes you mentioned in the article. When would you recommend drinking those to benefit the most from them? For what it's worth, my schedule dictates that I train in the evening (5-6pm), so I have no trouble getting in another chicken or egg meal after that.

Again, a huge thanks for being an inspiration to myself and many others. Keep it up big guy,

Jared

Hey Jared. Glad you found the vid useful. The guys at Universal come up with some damn good ideas! I would simply pu the shakes in where they are convenient. I would only caution against two things as they are not optimal in my opinion: 1. Don't have a shake as your first meal of the day and 2. Don't have two shakes in a row. Other than that, doesn't matter. Thanks and good luck!

Ox
08-03-13, 5:31 pm
Hi Evan,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this - I have been cutting since January (well more like general weight and fat loss) and have got down from around 235lbs to around 198lb, my body fat has dropped from 25% to what I would guess is maybe 123%ish - abs are just visible.

Ian

That's entirely up to you and depends solely on your individual goals. Though I wouldn't let your vacation influence your decision.

iamthemacattack
08-05-13, 6:03 am
Hi Evan,

Ian

That's entirely up to you and depends solely on your individual goals. Though I wouldn't let your vacation influence your decision.

What I really meant was would this be a sensible option, my goal one day is to compete. Hopefully in 2015 I will be in good enough shape to get on stage.

I was wondering what you would do at this point. I have been dieting for 8 months on a low carb diet and doing a lot of cardio, so I was thinking perhaps give my body 4 months of growing time eating carbs again and backing off the cardio a bit whilst watching the midriff doesn't expand! And then start dieting down again come February time, since this is my first year of dieting and living the lifestyle properly I was looking for some sort of guidance?

Tiger
08-05-13, 6:15 am
What I really meant was would this be a sensible option, my goal one day is to compete. Hopefully in 2015 I will be in good enough shape to get on stage.

I was wondering what you would do at this point. I have been dieting for 8 months on a low carb diet and doing a lot of cardio, so I was thinking perhaps give my body 4 months of growing time eating carbs again and backing off the cardio a bit whilst watching the midriff doesn't expand! And then start dieting down again come February time, since this is my first year of dieting and living the lifestyle properly I was looking for some sort of guidance?

Why not go on holiday, enjoy yourself, and then assess what you need once you're back?

I'm going on holiday in October for 2 weeks, and my plan is to keep leaning out until then and once I'm away then I don't care what I do or eat... Once I'm back I'm taking a few weeks to shed the holiday weight and then I'm going to start bulking.

iamthemacattack
08-05-13, 9:39 am
Why not go on holiday, enjoy yourself, and then assess what you need once you're back?

I'm going on holiday in October for 2 weeks, and my plan is to keep leaning out until then and once I'm away then I don't care what I do or eat... Once I'm back I'm taking a few weeks to shed the holiday weight and then I'm going to start bulking.

That's what I intend on doing. Just wondered what everyone's thought's were, whether I should keep cutting and trying to get my bodyfat really low regardless of how long it takes.

I was thinking it might be beneficial to build some muscle and let my body get used to having plenty of calories and carbs and just generally adding size, whilst not adding too much fat.

Then diet down again - but be starting from a much better point that last year.

Because I am new to this I sometimes doubt my own thoughts.

marcus rhodes
08-05-13, 9:57 am
Evan, I have read almost everyone of your posts since page 1 and I have learned a lot! I am a huge fan and I think it really is awesome that you take the time to reply to your fans, it really does say a lot about you.

I live in the UK and towards the end of August, my family and I are coming to Boston for a few weeks on holiday. We are staying in a house an hour or so south of Boston, which I understand is roughly a two hour drive from New Haven. From what you have said in numerous videos and from what I have seen/heard Montanari Brother's Gold's Gym is an amazing place to train therefore I think it would silly of me to pass up an opportunity to train there.
My question for you Evan is whether you would be in the gym at all between the 19th of August and the 2nd of September?

It would just be really cool to get a signature/picture or just simply see you in person (without sounding weird).

I know that you are currently prepping for Tampa so I know you are not online quite as often but if you could reply it would really mean a lot. I hope your prep is going well and judging from your recent pictures, it definitely seems to be! I hope that having Aceto as a watchful eye will help you to bring in your best possible package to the show

B.C.
08-05-13, 12:18 pm
Ox,

If you weren't competing for an entire year, would you ever "cut" or "diet" during that year; or would you just eat a sensible, balanced diet that allowed you to make gains while maintaining whatever body fat level your self confidence could allow you to have?

I used to do the bulk/cut thing, but I finally had to ask myself why the hell I was doing that when I don't compete. Every time I got above 200, I was fat and hated to look at myself in the mirror. When I cut down from there, I always found myself right back down to like 185...the whole exercise was pointless. Now that I've stopped doing that, I'm 210, as strong as I've ever been, and am ok with my body fat level. I'm finally getting to where I wanted to be before I wasted the better part of 5 years trying to get there.

I just feel like the general population of gym goers could do themselves a favor and do away with the thought of bulking/cutting until they make the decision to compete in something. If you train to be great, and you eat to be great, greatness will come. What are your thoughts?

RyanAHamilton
08-05-13, 6:13 pm
Hey Evan,

This is my very first post on the forums and I thought I would start it off by wishing you good luck in Tampa, hopefully you look the way you want to (with also qualifying for the olympia!) Also I would like to thank you for being a great guy to look up to, far past the bodybuilding aspect of life. You have changed my mindset on many things in life, for the better might I add haha.

Again, thanks man!

Universal Rep
08-07-13, 12:02 pm
Good luck at PBW broth....

dianatfar
08-08-13, 1:40 am
Hi Evan
Recently i watch ur diet program with 50$ per week.im Diabetic type I,im so interested that eating 12 eggs everyday doesnt make any problem for me?or i should change in something.
and also i add eggs to my nutrition more than before,i can eat it easily than before

Chivalry
08-08-13, 8:55 pm
Just wanted to say good luck at the Tampa Pro!

iamthemacattack
08-09-13, 10:38 am
Good luck Ox, hope you smash it!

Joe J
08-10-13, 7:46 am
Yo man, here to wish you luck at the Tampa Pro and to drop a quick question.

I have been doing keto and upping my cardio by 10 mins a session each week. Im at 1.5hours a day at the minute and cant find the time to add any more when i plateu, do you suggest changing up the diet?

Thanks man and i hope you and your family are well.

Joe

Joe J
08-10-13, 2:20 pm
Just seen the first call outs bro... You look shredded bro. You've got this!!!

mritter3
08-10-13, 3:12 pm
looking at the full line up Evan... you got this... def your best package to date.... look great brother

GUNS
08-10-13, 3:36 pm
Clear winner! Been following all morning. Great job Ox!

deanna7272
08-10-13, 3:54 pm
Good luck tonight at finals Ev... Definitely brought it...
Been watching the updates... Clearly, this is your show...

Mr. M
08-10-13, 8:36 pm
Congrats on the win bro, conditioning was sick as always!

mritter3
08-10-13, 8:37 pm
congrats on your Tampa win Evan!!!!!

GUNS
08-10-13, 8:43 pm
Big congrats Ox! Well deserved!

deanna7272
08-10-13, 8:44 pm
CONGRATS EVAN!!!!

As I said before, this one was clearly yours!!!!

johnnylawyer
08-10-13, 9:48 pm
Big win Ox, hard, crisp & dry, great conditioning! Cheers..!

N. Motta
08-10-13, 11:11 pm
Congrats Ev.

zare89zax
08-11-13, 3:54 am

Joe J
08-11-13, 7:34 am
Good job bro from the second you walked out everyone knew you bad it.

Joe

Sprint
08-11-13, 7:42 am
Congratulations, Evan. Fully deserved.

Brometheus
08-11-13, 12:58 pm
Congrats Evan!

John B
08-11-13, 3:27 pm
As the interviewers said, you had the "whole package". Congrats.

iamthemacattack
08-12-13, 6:08 am
That's how you do it! Roll on the Olympia! Well done Evan!

Tiger
08-12-13, 6:13 am
Congrats man! Saw the pics and you brought it, brother! Well deserved!

J U S T I N
08-12-13, 7:27 am
Congrats on your win in Tampa man, very well done!

Ox
08-20-13, 6:15 pm

I think that makes a lot of sense and I'd probably take some time now to grow.

Ox
08-20-13, 6:19 pm
Evan, I have read almost everyone of your posts since page 1 and I have learned a lot! I am a huge fan and I think it really is awesome that you take the time to reply to your fans, it really does say a lot about you.

I live in the UK and towards the end of August, my family and I are coming to Boston for a few weeks on holiday. We are staying in a house an hour or so south of Boston, which I understand is roughly a two hour drive from New Haven. From what you have said in numerous videos and from what I have seen/heard Montanari Brother's Gold's Gym is an amazing place to train therefore I think it would silly of me to pass up an opportunity to train there.
My question for you Evan is whether you would be in the gym at all between the 19th of August and the 2nd of September?

It would just be really cool to get a signature/picture or just simply see you in person (without sounding weird).

I know that you are currently prepping for Tampa so I know you are not online quite as often but if you could reply it would really mean a lot. I hope your prep is going well and judging from your recent pictures, it definitely seems to be! I hope that having Aceto as a watchful eye will help you to bring in your best possible package to the show

I'm here man. My days off are Wednesday and Sunday. I'm generally at the gym between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. I won't be there this Saturday. Other than that, I'm around! We're having an ABC on Friday the 30th of August starting at 7 p.m....that would be a good day to come down! If you see me, be sure to introduce yourself. Look forward to seeing you there.

Ox
08-20-13, 6:23 pm
Ox,

If you weren't competing for an entire year, would you ever "cut" or "diet" during that year; or would you just eat a sensible, balanced diet that allowed you to make gains while maintaining whatever body fat level your self confidence could allow you to have?

I used to do the bulk/cut thing, but I finally had to ask myself why the hell I was doing that when I don't compete. Every time I got above 200, I was fat and hated to look at myself in the mirror. When I cut down from there, I always found myself right back down to like 185...the whole exercise was pointless. Now that I've stopped doing that, I'm 210, as strong as I've ever been, and am ok with my body fat level. I'm finally getting to where I wanted to be before I wasted the better part of 5 years trying to get there.

I just feel like the general population of gym goers could do themselves a favor and do away with the thought of bulking/cutting until they make the decision to compete in something. If you train to be great, and you eat to be great, greatness will come. What are your thoughts?

I would most likely eat to grow but eat well. Since I began competing, I have never dieted unless it was for a show. Hahahahaha...sometimes you've got to forgo being in top shape to pack on enough muscle and eventually be your best. I agrew with you...f you simply want to look good and be in shape, eat well all the time, train hard, do some cardio etc. But in bodybuilding, it's a game of up and down; just like training...you go all out for an hour and then rest rather than go half intensity for 3 hours.

Ox
08-20-13, 6:24 pm
Hey Evan,

This is my very first post on the forums and I thought I would start it off by wishing you good luck in Tampa, hopefully you look the way you want to (with also qualifying for the olympia!) Also I would like to thank you for being a great guy to look up to, far past the bodybuilding aspect of life. You have changed my mindset on many things in life, for the better might I add haha.

Again, thanks man!

Thank YOU!

Ox
08-20-13, 6:24 pm
Good luck at PBW broth....

That worked! Be sure to do the same for the O!

Ox
08-20-13, 6:28 pm
Hi Evan
Recently i watch ur diet program with 50$ per week.im Diabetic type I,im so interested that eating 12 eggs everyday doesnt make any problem for me?or i should change in something.
and also i add eggs to my nutrition more than before,i can eat it easily than before

I assume you are asking reference to the cholesterol content of the eggs. Keep in mind, I'm no doctor. But I would think that so long as you are keeping your blood sugar well under control, you shouldn't have to worry about glycation occuring and if glycation and other oxidative damage isn't occurring, cholesterol shouldn't be a problem. A product that might interest you is benfotiamine. It's a particular form of thiamine that has been shown to reduce glycation and show exceptional promise in diabetics.

Ox
08-20-13, 6:29 pm
Just wanted to say good luck at the Tampa Pro!

Good luck Ox, hope you smash it!

Thanks a lot guys!

Ox
08-20-13, 6:30 pm
Yo man, here to wish you luck at the Tampa Pro and to drop a quick question.

I have been doing keto and upping my cardio by 10 mins a session each week. Im at 1.5hours a day at the minute and cant find the time to add any more when i plateu, do you suggest changing up the diet?

Thanks man and i hope you and your family are well.

Joe

No. I would change the intensity. Go harder. Maybe use a step mill or wear a weighted vest.

Ox
08-20-13, 6:32 pm
Just seen the first call outs bro... You look shredded bro. You've got this!!!

looking at the full line up Evan... you got this... def your best package to date.... look great brother

Clear winner! Been following all morning. Great job Ox!

Good luck tonight at finals Ev... Definitely brought it...
Been watching the updates... Clearly, this is your show...

Congrats on the win bro, conditioning was sick as always!

Big congrats Ox! Well deserved!

CONGRATS EVAN!!!!

As I said before, this one was clearly yours!!!!

Congrats Ev.

Good job bro from the second you walked out everyone knew you bad it.

Joe

Congratulations, Evan. Fully deserved.

Congrats Evan!

As the interviewers said, you had the "whole package". Congrats.

That's how you do it! Roll on the Olympia! Well done Evan!

Hahahahaha! You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot. It really means a lot to me to have the support of each and every one of you.

Ox
08-20-13, 6:32 pm
Congrats man! Saw the pics and you brought it, brother! Well deserved!

Congrats on your win in Tampa man, very well done!

Thanks a lot guys! I sincerely appreciate it.

Swolepez
08-20-13, 9:11 pm
Hey Ox congratulations on the win and thanks for the "Big On A Budget" video, it really helped me out with my diet about saving money and keeping the basics without getting too fancy and complicated!

What was your supp stack like on your cut leading to the Tampa Pro? I know you seem to be a fan of the foundational products like Pak, Nitro, Flex etc. and don't tend to depend on stimulants like Rage and such...did anything change during this prep supp wise?

Ox
08-21-13, 8:21 am
Hey Ox congratulations on the win and thanks for the "Big On A Budget" video, it really helped me out with my diet about saving money and keeping the basics without getting too fancy and complicated!

What was your supp stack like on your cut leading to the Tampa Pro? I know you seem to be a fan of the foundational products like Pak, Nitro, Flex etc. and don't tend to depend on stimulants like Rage and such...did anything change during this prep supp wise?

Thanks man I'm glad you liked the vid.

My three amino products leading into Tampa were Animal Pak, Omega and Nitro...lots of Nitro. Nothing new here brother.

officerTANK
08-21-13, 9:45 am
OX thx Man your a beast and the video and arrival on dieting and buying on a budget saved me like 40$ at the store this week good luck to u in the offseason

ChalkyPalms
08-21-13, 11:10 am
Evan, I've posted in here before and got feedback from ya and love reading all your posts to other members. By far my favorite bodybuilder of all time. Your frame, build, but mostly your attitude and how humble you are. Been a huge inspiration of mine and still are. Well of course I have always wanted to meet you, but living in Midwest sucks haha.. Well I finally get to meet you in October. You're guest posing the all star championships in Kc, MO and I'm beyond stoked! Well my question is I know alot of the bodybuilders get their lift in between the morning and evening shows if they lift. Well it would make my day and much more if I could train with you when you come here, that is if you're lifting that Saturday of course. And I promise I get after it haha

Thanks in advance man. Keep killing it in and car wait to see you on the O stage

Universal Rep
08-21-13, 1:08 pm
That worked! Be sure to do the same for the O!

Good luck at Olympia broth....

Joe J
08-21-13, 6:22 pm
No. I would change the intensity. Go harder. Maybe use a step mill or wear a weighted vest.

Will do mate, thanks so much.

I have 4 weeks of my keto left. I'm going to start to do 2 mild refeeds instead of one cheat meal like you said and also up the intensity of my cardio! If I plateau again should I continue to up the intensity each week or increase time spent doing it?

Also bro, with these mild refeeds if I'm 179lbs is 200g carbs a good starting point? Should all food choices be oats, white potato etc or are other not so 'clean' options on the table?

Sorry for all the questions man. If it is too much then don't feel obliged to answer!

Thanks again for all the help you've given me over the past couple of months, honestly you have helped me so much to change my physique.

Joe

Dan0eh
08-22-13, 12:22 am
What's up Ox! Got a question for ya, besides Animal Pak what other vitamins are you supplementing these days. I remember reading you were using ubiquinol now and what ever happened to Calcium and Magnesium Lactate?

marcus rhodes
08-23-13, 1:37 pm
I'm here man. My days off are Wednesday and Sunday. I'm generally at the gym between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. I won't be there this Saturday. Other than that, I'm around! We're having an ABC on Friday the 30th of August starting at 7 p.m....that would be a good day to come down! If you see me, be sure to introduce yourself. Look forward to seeing you there.

Evan, thank you so much for replying! really does mean a lot. Firstly... congrats on your victory, I honestly thought that was your best showing so far, and i know that that is something your really strive to do; improving show by show, so I was very pleased to see you nail it!

Due to some complications my mum,dad and brothers had to fly out without me. But, Wednesday afternoon I fly out and arrive in New York at about 8pm , your time. I will then get on a train to Newport.

As I'm under 21, I won't be able to hire car, but I will find a way to get myself to New Haven for 10 am the following morning. I really look forward to meeting you sir!!

Ox
08-26-13, 6:51 pm
OX thx Man your a beast and the video and arrival on dieting and buying on a budget saved me like 40$ at the store this week good luck to u in the offseason

Very nice! I'm glad to hear that

Ox
08-26-13, 6:54 pm
Evan, I've posted in here before and got feedback from ya and love reading all your posts to other members. By far my favorite bodybuilder of all time. Your frame, build, but mostly your attitude and how humble you are. Been a huge inspiration of mine and still are. Well of course I have always wanted to meet you, but living in Midwest sucks haha.. Well I finally get to meet you in October. You're guest posing the all star championships in Kc, MO and I'm beyond stoked! Well my question is I know alot of the bodybuilders get their lift in between the morning and evening shows if they lift. Well it would make my day and much more if I could train with you when you come here, that is if you're lifting that Saturday of course. And I promise I get after it haha

Thanks in advance man. Keep killing it in and car wait to see you on the O stage

Hey man thanks a lot for all the compliments. I sincerely appreciate it. I'll see you in October...be sure to introduce yourself!

I'm not sure what the schedule is going to be like/how the day is going to run but if your run into me at the prejudging and thinks match up, we'll do it.

See you soon pal

Ox
08-26-13, 6:55 pm
Good luck at Olympia broth....

Now I'm golden! Thanks breh

Ox
08-26-13, 6:59 pm
Will do mate, thanks so much.

I have 4 weeks of my keto left. I'm going to start to do 2 mild refeeds instead of one cheat meal like you said and also up the intensity of my cardio! If I plateau again should I continue to up the intensity each week or increase time spent doing it?

Also bro, with these mild refeeds if I'm 179lbs is 200g carbs a good starting point? Should all food choices be oats, white potato etc or are other not so 'clean' options on the table?

Sorry for all the questions man. If it is too much then don't feel obliged to answer!

Thanks again for all the help you've given me over the past couple of months, honestly you have helped me so much to change my physique.

Joe

1. With only 4 weeks left, you shouldn't plateau. I'd hate to see you do too much cardio. Seeing as you're not getting ready for a show, should you plateau, I'd rather see you take a week and increas your calories with no cardio in order to spike your metabolism...then go back to your routine.

2. It's a good starting point. I'd stay away from anyting too dirty but wouldn't rule out some waffles and syrup, cream of rice with honey etc etc...don't be afraid to throw some sugar in there.

3. Anytime. It's my pleasure.

Good luck!

Ox
08-26-13, 7:02 pm
What's up Ox! Got a question for ya, besides Animal Pak what other vitamins are you supplementing these days. I remember reading you were using ubiquinol now and what ever happened to Calcium and Magnesium Lactate?

I use Nitro and Omega regularly. I use Ubiquinol, NAC, mag lactate. Been using a lot of probiotics lately too and recently put systemic enzymes back in. Been eating a lot of grated beets too...they help my digestion and increase my bowel movement frequency...supposed to be great for the liver too.

Ox
08-26-13, 7:04 pm
Evan, thank you so much for replying! really does mean a lot. Firstly... congrats on your victory, I honestly thought that was your best showing so far, and i know that that is something your really strive to do; improving show by show, so I was very pleased to see you nail it!

Due to some complications my mum,dad and brothers had to fly out without me. But, Wednesday afternoon I fly out and arrive in New York at about 8pm , your time. I will then get on a train to Newport.

As I'm under 21, I won't be able to hire car, but I will find a way to get myself to New Haven for 10 am the following morning. I really look forward to meeting you sir!!

Thanks man. A lot of people said that but I still feel I can be a lot better! We'll see

10 a.m. Thursday it is. I'll be there!

ChalkyPalms
08-26-13, 7:10 pm
Hey man thanks a lot for all the compliments. I sincerely appreciate it. I'll see you in October...be sure to introduce yourself!

I'm not sure what the schedule is going to be like/how the day is going to run but if your run into me at the prejudging and thinks match up, we'll do it.

See you soon pal

Awesome! Looking forward to it

marcus rhodes
08-27-13, 3:33 pm
Thanks man. A lot of people said that but I still feel I can be a lot better! We'll see

10 a.m. Thursday it is. I'll be there!

I think that is awesome that straight away you are thinking that you can be better, and not just think "yeah thats enough, I got the win" and based on what Jose stated in his latest chest video; that you were only at 90 percent max (his words NOT mine haha) than I cant wait to see you looking even better!

So, sadly today and I got some real shitty news and due to this unfortunately I have had to cancel my flight and my holiday all together. It has put me on a downer because i was really looking forward to having an awesome holiday and meeting you! I guess not this time hey. I feel almost rude considering you took the time out to reply to me on two occasions so I can only apologize to you for that Evan. I am hoping that i will be able to come out next year though.

I hope you get on here and see this prior to Thursday morning so you don't get to the gym and think "what a dick".
I wish you the best of luck at the Olympia, keep doing what you do Evan, you are a real inspiration!

Ox
08-28-13, 8:08 am
I think that is awesome that straight away you are thinking that you can be better, and not just think "yeah thats enough, I got the win" and based on what Jose stated in his latest chest video; that you were only at 90 percent max (his words NOT mine haha) than I cant wait to see you looking even better!

So, sadly today and I got some real shitty news and due to this unfortunately I have had to cancel my flight and my holiday all together. It has put me on a downer because i was really looking forward to having an awesome holiday and meeting you! I guess not this time hey. I feel almost rude considering you took the time out to reply to me on two occasions so I can only apologize to you for that Evan. I am hoping that i will be able to come out next year though.

I hope you get on here and see this prior to Thursday morning so you don't get to the gym and think "what a dick".
I wish you the best of luck at the Olympia, keep doing what you do Evan, you are a real inspiration!

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip. Apologize? Don't be absurd. Shit happens...can't change that. I hope everything is okay. Don't worry, I'll be in New Haven, day after day sure as shit...I'll be around. Anytime you think you might be coming around, let me know.

Madcat
08-28-13, 8:16 am
Hey man, I'm sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip. Apologize? Don't be absurd. Shit happens...can't change that. I hope everything is okay. Don't worry, I'll be in New Haven, day after day sure as shit...I'll be around. Anytime you think you might be coming around, let me know.

Good dude right there. Always making time for his supporters and you have to respect that. Can't wait for the Arnold again when you step into our neck of the woods. Wonder if you'll be competing in it this year? ;) Sure would love to see you on stage in person.

Joe J
08-28-13, 8:32 am
1. With only 4 weeks left, you shouldn't plateau. I'd hate to see you do too much cardio. Seeing as you're not getting ready for a show, should you plateau, I'd rather see you take a week and increas your calories with no cardio in order to spike your metabolism...then go back to your routine.

2. It's a good starting point. I'd stay away from anyting too dirty but wouldn't rule out some waffles and syrup, cream of rice with honey etc etc...don't be afraid to throw some sugar in there.

3. Anytime. It's my pleasure.

Good luck!

Thanks bro, your advice really helped. I added 100g carbs a day and drppped the cardio and have lost weight and gotten leaner and more vascular. Im keeping the carbs in now.

By the way bro, ive just finished reading your Q and A thread over at MD. Every damn page bro, i learnt so much so thanks so much for that.

One last question, what do you think is a reasonable goal for a teenager adding weight? I was thinking 2lbs a month?

Thanks so much man

Joe

BamBam
08-28-13, 6:00 pm
Just wanted to say thanks big man... Been cutting weight for my next strongman competition and I train stones and every event in your ANIMAL Iconic tee (red and white) that says "Nothing worth doing is easy." Those words are gonna be tattood on me someday, as this has been a veryhard cut from 265 to 231 or less in about a month. I feel like shit, I am sore, 2 gallons of water a day, no carbs... but hey... it's worth it. Thanks for the push big man.. God Bless-

BB-

D Train
08-29-13, 10:07 pm
Hey Ox. Out of curiosity, does your training split change whenever you go from offseason to pre-contest? Right now I am focusing on bulking and putting size on before I look to cut early next year.

Jay
08-31-13, 1:25 pm
Evan,

Thanks for hanging out at the ABC last night and talking to the fans. It was a great turn out, maybe the biggest Connecticut ABC's yet. You truly are an inspiration to your followers, myself included. Again, good luck at the Olympia, kick some ass, and hope to see some training videos or Road to Olympia series soon!

Jay

wedge
09-03-13, 1:45 pm
Evan, thanks for taking the time for a pic at the ABC Friday. Appreciate it and wish you the best at the Olympia.

When you have a moment, I have a question on vascularity. I have the visible blue vein lines (they're visible throughout my body), but I can not get them to pop. I am currently cutting (gained a bit too much fat during a recent bulk) and hoping to have them pop as I go along. A few years ago I got down to 7 percent body fat and still did not have anything popping. Just wonder if its too much sodium or water retention or something else.

TovarishchLenin
09-05-13, 11:11 am
Hey Ox,

What training split are you currently using in the offseason? Also, can you give a rundown of exercises/sets/reps?

I am interested because I am looking for some new training splits..... I feel its time to change things up a bit. I am not sure I would be duplicating what you do exactly, but it would be great to use as a resource for the changes I am planning to make.

I have been training for 2.5 years. Started at 155# and am now at 210# @ 11%.

Thanks for any input!

Ox
09-06-13, 7:11 pm
Good dude right there. Always making time for his supporters and you have to respect that. Can't wait for the Arnold again when you step into our neck of the woods. Wonder if you'll be competing in it this year? ;) Sure would love to see you on stage in person.

In all honesty, I appreciate all the support I get...making some time is not a problem! As of right now, I'd say there's a good chance I'll do the Arnold next year. Either way, I'll be there. See ya there!

Ox
09-06-13, 7:15 pm
Thanks bro, your advice really helped. I added 100g carbs a day and drppped the cardio and have lost weight and gotten leaner and more vascular. Im keeping the carbs in now.

By the way bro, ive just finished reading your Q and A thread over at MD. Every damn page bro, i learnt so much so thanks so much for that.

One last question, what do you think is a reasonable goal for a teenager adding weight? I was thinking 2lbs a month?

Thanks so much man

Joe

I'm glad to hear things are working out!

What a reasonable goal? Impossible to say. Progress is rarely linear. You may gain 5 pounds one month and none for the next two. The body can be coerced but it can't be forced! Keep that in mind. Do all you can to progress; train properly, eat well, rest etc...but do be patient.

Ox
09-06-13, 7:17 pm
Just wanted to say thanks big man... Been cutting weight for my next strongman competition and I train stones and every event in your ANIMAL Iconic tee (red and white) that says "Nothing worth doing is easy." Those words are gonna be tattood on me someday, as this has been a veryhard cut from 265 to 231 or less in about a month. I feel like shit, I am sore, 2 gallons of water a day, no carbs... but hey... it's worth it. Thanks for the push big man.. God Bless-

BB-

Keep on man. And be sure to think any and all tattoos through before pulling the trigger!

Ox
09-06-13, 7:18 pm
Hey Ox. Out of curiosity, does your training split change whenever you go from offseason to pre-contest? Right now I am focusing on bulking and putting size on before I look to cut early next year.

Nothing is planned. I hate plans. I just do whatever I feel is best at the time.

Ox
09-06-13, 7:20 pm
Evan,

Thanks for hanging out at the ABC last night and talking to the fans. It was a great turn out, maybe the biggest Connecticut ABC's yet. You truly are an inspiration to your followers, myself included. Again, good luck at the Olympia, kick some ass, and hope to see some training videos or Road to Olympia series soon!

Jay

Hey man. The turnout was really good and I'm glad so many people made the trip on a Friday night (holiday weekend no less). I'm happy to hear that you are inspired! Inspiration can be found in the damnedest places.

Ox
09-06-13, 7:23 pm
Evan, thanks for taking the time for a pic at the ABC Friday. Appreciate it and wish you the best at the Olympia.

When you have a moment, I have a question on vascularity. I have the visible blue vein lines (they're visible throughout my body), but I can not get them to pop. I am currently cutting (gained a bit too much fat during a recent bulk) and hoping to have them pop as I go along. A few years ago I got down to 7 percent body fat and still did not have anything popping. Just wonder if its too much sodium or water retention or something else.

Thanks man. Hope you had a good time.

I suppose vasuclarity is to some extent a genetic(?) thing. Do you typically have high blood pressure?

Ox
09-06-13, 7:25 pm
Hey Ox,

What training split are you currently using in the offseason? Also, can you give a rundown of exercises/sets/reps?
Thanks for any input!

No. I despise this request!

In all seriousness, it's mostly irrelevant. Go to the gym, and train hard and heavy....always. If you cannot recuperate and are eating and resting enough, back off on the volume. That's all there is to it!

j.joly
09-06-13, 10:14 pm
Hey Evan,

Wanted to let you know im a huge fan, ive read tons of this thread and youve given us all so much knowledge.

My left quad is bigger than my right, fairly noticeable now. My question is how can I correct this imbalance?

I use both legs evenly on all exercises (I think) as to not accidentally make this problem worse. Is this a common problem or is it just me. A little extra info about me I'm 21, 187lbs, training for over 3 years. In addition I am right handed but my left side is stronger (right side fails first on all kinds of db presses) and left side is slightly larger. Not so noticeable in my arms but definately in my legs.

wedge
09-07-13, 11:36 pm
Thanks man. Hope you had a good time.

I suppose vasuclarity is to some extent a genetic(?) thing. Do you typically have high blood pressure?

No. Everything has been where it's supposed to be, according to the last few times I've had to have it measured due to hospital trips.

Joe J
09-12-13, 8:10 am
Hi Evan. How are you and your family doing? Hope everything is well.

I'm a 19 year old bulking on a budget, how does my daily diet look? Anything you would drop out/change/add? By the way i'm 180lbs, natural, fairly lean.

Thanks so much bro.

Diet:

1) 6 whole eggs, 50g oats

3g vitamin c, 400iu vitamin e, 1g glucosamine sulphate, 3g MSM, 1g fish oil, 1g CLA, 1g Evening Primrose Oil

2) 2 scoops whey, banana

3) 6 whole eggs

1g fish oil, 1g CLA, 1g Evening Primrose Oil

4) 130g beef, 150g potato, veggies

Animal pak,

PWO - Banana, 10g BCAAs, 10g Glutamine, 5g Creatine

5) 2 scoops whey (30 mins after PWO)

6) 130g chicken breast, 150g potato, veggies (30 mins after shake)

Before bed:
1g fish oil, 1g CLA, 1g EPO, 1g glucosamine sulphate

During day:
Pre-WO - 5g aminos, 4g acetyl l-carnitine, 4g beta alanine
Intra-WO - 5g aminos
Post-WO - 10g aminos

solomon_caine
09-12-13, 2:21 pm
If you're going to do them as a standalone movement I would do them weighted. As part of a superset, if you can't handle the weight then I would use your bodyweight. The idea behind training is to use as much resistance as possible in a safe and effective manner. So to answer your question, if you can handle adding weight, then yes, they are better.

copy that. Thanks, Ox!

NLDreamer94
09-12-13, 11:58 pm
Evan! Damn man first off I just wanna say I love your approach to the sport! You're so humble and knowledgable and treat everyone with respect! I stopped by the Cage last year(2013) and it was my first time at the Arnold I didn't even think to actually talk to the people I was meeting haha. You can bet I'll be talkin your ear off in 2014 if you have the time. Most of all I just wanna say how much of an inspiration you are! I was in the same boat; all boys high school being a heavier kid didn't go over too well. Throw in a shitty breakup(which I'll look back on and laugh at later in life) brought me lower than I've ever felt. Lifting has saved me and I wanna take it as far as I can and compete in 2014. Everyone laughs or looks like they think I'm stupid when I'm about to tell them but it just motivates me even more. That being said if you're ever in the metro Detroit area for any reason please announce it because I'd love the chance to meet you! Best wishes and good luck at the Olympia!

-Nick

Ox
09-17-13, 5:17 pm
Hey Evan,

Wanted to let you know im a huge fan, ive read tons of this thread and youve given us all so much knowledge.

My left quad is bigger than my right, fairly noticeable now. My question is how can I correct this imbalance?

I use both legs evenly on all exercises (I think) as to not accidentally make this problem worse. Is this a common problem or is it just me. A little extra info about me I'm 21, 187lbs, training for over 3 years. In addition I am right handed but my left side is stronger (right side fails first on all kinds of db presses) and left side is slightly larger. Not so noticeable in my arms but definately in my legs.

Glad you like the thread man.

Imbalances are common. Seeing as it's in your legs, it might help to have someone film you on movements like the squat and deadlift. It's very possible that you tilt your hip to one side or another or cock your body in some way. Don't know if you've ever had any prior injuries but favoring one side out of fear can do it as well. Do you ever have back, hip or knee pain?

Ox
09-17-13, 5:19 pm
No. Everything has been where it's supposed to be, according to the last few times I've had to have it measured due to hospital trips.

Then all I can offer is that upon achieving a very lean condition where you are also very full (as to rule out flatness due to low blood volume), you will find out how vascular you are.

Ox
09-17-13, 5:23 pm
Hi Evan. How are you and your family doing? Hope everything is well.

I'm a 19 year old bulking on a budget, how does my daily diet look? Anything you would drop out/change/add? By the way i'm 180lbs, natural, fairly lean.

Thanks so much bro.

Diet:

1) 6 whole eggs, 50g oats

3g vitamin c, 400iu vitamin e, 1g glucosamine sulphate, 3g MSM, 1g fish oil, 1g CLA, 1g Evening Primrose Oil

2) 2 scoops whey, banana

3) 6 whole eggs

1g fish oil, 1g CLA, 1g Evening Primrose Oil

4) 130g beef, 150g potato, veggies

Animal pak,

PWO - Banana, 10g BCAAs, 10g Glutamine, 5g Creatine

5) 2 scoops whey (30 mins after PWO)

6) 130g chicken breast, 150g potato, veggies (30 mins after shake)

Before bed:
1g fish oil, 1g CLA, 1g EPO, 1g glucosamine sulphate

During day:
Pre-WO - 5g aminos, 4g acetyl l-carnitine, 4g beta alanine
Intra-WO - 5g aminos
Post-WO - 10g aminos

Hey man, I think you've done a good job of putting together a diet comprised of quality foods. It really looks pretty well balanced. How effective is this diet for you? I have no way to know. If it's bringing you closer to your goal(s) then it's perfect! If not, then something has to change. But based on what I see it looks like a solid diet!

Ox
09-17-13, 5:36 pm
Evan! Damn man first off I just wanna say I love your approach to the sport! You're so humble and knowledgable and treat everyone with respect! I stopped by the Cage last year(2013) and it was my first time at the Arnold I didn't even think to actually talk to the people I was meeting haha. You can bet I'll be talkin your ear off in 2014 if you have the time. Most of all I just wanna say how much of an inspiration you are! I was in the same boat; all boys high school being a heavier kid didn't go over too well. Throw in a shitty breakup(which I'll look back on and laugh at later in life) brought me lower than I've ever felt. Lifting has saved me and I wanna take it as far as I can and compete in 2014. Everyone laughs or looks like they think I'm stupid when I'm about to tell them but it just motivates me even more. That being said if you're ever in the metro Detroit area for any reason please announce it because I'd love the chance to meet you! Best wishes and good luck at the Olympia!

-Nick

First off, thanks. Do make sure to say hello when you're at the Arnold....that's why we're there!

Congrats on the decision to work toward a stronger, healthier you! That's great. And honestly, nobody should ever laugh at or mock a man who only wishes to improve himself. If I could offer you any advice, it would be to not even bother telling people you plan to compete. Truth be told, the competing isn't even important. Instead, if anyone asks, let them know you have been overweight in the past and you're working toward improving yourself. Nobody can laugh at that. Besides, over the years, I've come to admire the people in the gym who just show up the day of the competition ready to compete despite never having even hinted at the possibility of them training for a show! You're better of being about it than talking about it....that way you don't have to subject yourself to the "advice" and opinions of everyone else. Best of luck!

thelife
09-19-13, 2:02 am
Hey Ox, I just had a quick question about your Big on A Budget diet, if you don't mind.

For Meals 3 & 4, you get 24 g. of fat from the chicken thighs. If you were to use chicken breasts which are essentially fat free, what source of fat would you use with those two meals for an approximate macro of 24 g. fat?

I know it would be easy to just weigh some nuts, etc, but I'm curious what you personally would use for an alternative fat source in those two meals consisting of chicken, potato and broccoli.

Thanks for your time!

marcus rhodes
09-20-13, 9:49 pm

Hey Evan I hope you, Erica and your daughter are all doing really well. You are 100% right that you cant change it but since the shitty news,things have got a lot better and I am starting university in one week!

I hope your prep has gone well and I cant wait to see you on stage. Tonight, after training, I went down to my gym reception and you were the hot topic of discussion!...So I jumped in on the conversation haha, it was a very positive conversation by the way!

I watched Jeff Long's delt training video today and it was awesome to see how you have had a positive affect on various aspects of his training, he seems like a really nice guy also. More interesting news... I took the 2 hour drive north from where I live to temple gym recently and KILLED LEGS... I have watched the video of you hitting back there many times. As I was leaving, Dorian actually walked in, so I spoke to him for a while and got an awesome pic! Unfortunately I cant figure out how to put it up on here.

Anyway Evan, I will stop rambling now!!!

One last question, how is your father doing?... I really hope he is doing well.

Marcus

marcus rhodes
09-20-13, 9:58 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=386399814793002&set=a.113055975460722.12572.100002689610194&type=1&theater

As I'm not sure how to actually put the picture up, here is a link sir.

With the great man himself. I am 17 years old in the pic, it was 1 day before my 18th- meeting Dorian was my best present!

Chivalry
09-25-13, 8:04 pm
Just wanted to wish you luck at the Olympia. Kick some ass!

iamthemacattack
09-27-13, 8:23 am
Hope you come in looking freaky Ox. Smash it.

NLDreamer94
10-02-13, 1:54 pm
First off, thanks. Do make sure to say hello when you're at the Arnold....that's why we're there!

Congrats on the decision to work toward a stronger, healthier you! That's great. And honestly, nobody should ever laugh at or mock a man who only wishes to improve himself. If I could offer you any advice, it would be to not even bother telling people you plan to compete. Truth be told, the competing isn't even important. Instead, if anyone asks, let them know you have been overweight in the past and you're working toward improving yourself. Nobody can laugh at that. Besides, over the years, I've come to admire the people in the gym who just show up the day of the competition ready to compete despite never having even hinted at the possibility of them training for a show! You're better of being about it than talking about it....that way you don't have to subject yourself to the "advice" and opinions of everyone else. Best of luck!

This is great advice and I have been trying to adopt that mindset lately. Thank you very much and I will definitely be sure to say hello at the Arnold. The Animal and Universal crew are all people worthy of great admiration.

Ox
10-06-13, 8:31 am
Hey Ox, I just had a quick question about your Big on A Budget diet, if you don't mind.

For Meals 3 & 4, you get 24 g. of fat from the chicken thighs. If you were to use chicken breasts which are essentially fat free, what source of fat would you use with those two meals for an approximate macro of 24 g. fat?

I know it would be easy to just weigh some nuts, etc, but I'm curious what you personally would use for an alternative fat source in those two meals consisting of chicken, potato and broccoli.

Thanks for your time!

For the sake of the budget, thighs were used because they are cheap, taste good and provide protein and fat. If you opt to use breasts, the budget notwithstanding, I would use olive oil; fairly economical and healthy.

Ox
10-06-13, 8:34 am
Hey Evan I hope you, Erica and your daughter are all doing really well. You are 100% right that you cant change it but since the shitty news,things have got a lot better and I am starting university in one week!

I hope your prep has gone well and I cant wait to see you on stage. Tonight, after training, I went down to my gym reception and you were the hot topic of discussion!...So I jumped in on the conversation haha, it was a very positive conversation by the way!

I watched Jeff Long's delt training video today and it was awesome to see how you have had a positive affect on various aspects of his training, he seems like a really nice guy also. More interesting news... I took the 2 hour drive north from where I live to temple gym recently and KILLED LEGS... I have watched the video of you hitting back there many times. As I was leaving, Dorian actually walked in, so I spoke to him for a while and got an awesome pic! Unfortunately I cant figure out how to put it up on here.

Anyway Evan, I will stop rambling now!!!

One last question, how is your father doing?... I really hope he is doing well.

Marcus

Hey man. First off, good luck at school! Second, Dorian is the man. Lastly, my father is recovering from all the chemo and radiation right now. He's regaining strength, his hair has grown back and he's starting to feel more like his old self. It's great to see because he was feeling terrible for a long time. Thanks for asking pal...I appreciate it.

Ox
10-06-13, 8:36 am
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=386399814793002&set=a.113055975460722.12572.100002689610194&type=1&theater

As I'm not sure how to actually put the picture up, here is a link sir.

With the great man himself. I am 17 years old in the pic, it was 1 day before my 18th- meeting Dorian was my best present!

HA! Good shit. You're pretty thick for an 18 year old! Keep at it and keep me updated.

Ox
10-06-13, 8:36 am
Just wanted to wish you luck at the Olympia. Kick some ass!

He thanks pal. Next time!

Ox
10-06-13, 8:37 am
Hope you come in looking freaky Ox. Smash it.

Thanks a lot mac. Not freaky enough!

Ox
10-06-13, 8:39 am
This is great advice and I have been trying to adopt that mindset lately. Thank you very much and I will definitely be sure to say hello at the Arnold. The Animal and Universal crew are all people worthy of great admiration.

Good shit. See you in Columbus.

P Diesel
10-06-13, 12:51 pm
my brotha, great seein u Saturday. I gotta make it up and do sum training

P

iamthemacattack
10-07-13, 7:36 am
Thanks a lot mac. Not freaky enough!

Onwards and upwards Evan! Have you decided what your plans are for next year?

iamthemacattack
10-15-13, 7:41 am
Sup Ox,

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on your appearance in this year's O compared to last year's?

here2learn
10-16-13, 1:48 am
Ox just wanted to drop in and say that you are an inspiration. The way you conduct yourself inspires me to train
and stay healthy. Chin up bro get I there and go harder

marcus rhodes
10-26-13, 12:08 pm
Hey man. First off, good luck at school! Second, Dorian is the man. Lastly, my father is recovering from all the chemo and radiation right now. He's regaining strength, his hair has grown back and he's starting to feel more like his old self. It's great to see because he was feeling terrible for a long time. Thanks for asking pal...I appreciate it.

Hey Evan, hope you and all your family are doing good!! It's awesome logging in and seeing you replied. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on here - University has just been crazy! writing an assignment on marketing as we speak.

I'm really really happy to hear that your father is doing well, its horrible watching someone who you love and care about dealing with something as horrible as cancer. I hope he continues to progress. I lost two members of my family to cancer over the last few years, granted neither were my father but I know how bad it sucks.

marcus rhodes
10-26-13, 12:13 pm
HA! Good shit. You're pretty thick for an 18 year old! Keep at it and keep me updated.

Evan is that you calling me out for being fat!? haha I'm messing - a comment like that from you really is a big deal sir. It may sound silly but just that alone is motivating. I've been following all your tips and learning from all your videos since I first started out so maybe you are a big reason for my progress.

To address the actual comment, I think I look OK, but definitely not great or anything special. But i'm still training 5 days a week and managing to balance uni work so far... so lets see if I can make anymore progress!

I will keep you updated sir.