PDA

View Full Version : Ox's Stable

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]

Ox
07-08-14, 6:21 pm
For sure Ox will be missed. He was one of the main people that drew me to Animal. I really found inspiration in his background and was always highly impressed with his knowledge of nutrition for the sport. Glad I got to talk to him for a little while at each Arnold.

Good luck to you Evan on your new endeavor as I am sure you will thrive in your new role there as well as being their sponsored athlete.

Hey man, thanks a lot. You're in good hands here!

GUNZ
07-08-14, 6:22 pm
I know I reached out to you the other day, but I had to post on here also. Sad to see you go, but I know you did whats best for you and your family. Really glad I got to experience Animal Brazil with you, def a trip I won't forget! Dengee Fever, lol

Ill keep in touch man.

Ox
07-08-14, 6:22 pm
Met Evan bodypower uk 2012 - Fantastic guy. Did cardio next to my wife at Emporium and answered her 1000 of questions with patience.

wish you all the best brother!

Hahahahaha...I remember! It was no bother...it actually made the cardio pass more quickly. So my thanks to her! Thanks pal.

G Diesel
07-09-14, 9:42 am
Evan is a consummate professional--consistent, hard-working, meticulous, regimented. All of the reasons he excels in the sport.

But what I most enjoyed about spending time with Ev over the years is our conversations about things completely unrelated to bbing. Whether talking about food or history or business or politics or old movies, even when we didn't agree we had respectful debates. And many laughs over bullshit and nonsense.

Beyond all of that, he's a good family man, with his priorities straight. I really admire that as I seek that sort of balance in my life.

Wishing Evan much success, good health and happiness moving forward. He's one of the good ones.

Peace, G

Bob
07-10-14, 9:51 am
good luck evan. you've inspired me through all of your amazing work with the animal for many years now. you had some of the best videos and articles that i've ever seen on animalpak and youtube. what happens to all of those videos and articles that were written during your time here... i didn't see if taken down so i assume everything stays which is great because those are timeless.

Universal Rep
02-15-16, 2:46 pm
Good to see this thread is open again...

N. Motta
02-15-16, 2:47 pm
Yes. Thank you.

Ox
02-15-16, 9:20 pm
Well, it looks like we're back open for business! Let it rip...

JackTheBigBoss
02-16-16, 5:42 am
Hey man,

When I walked in this forum for the first time I looked everywhere for this thread and finally I found it closed in one of the last pages and I felt so sad about that.
Good to have you here again. I will return with dozens of questions in a few days haha.

Good luck,

s4rgonnn
02-16-16, 8:06 pm
Hello Ox,

I always wanted to ask you some question. And now my dream come true lol. I have two questions.

First one is my chest is always my weakest part. How do I bring that up? I switched flat bench press with incline dumbbell press and it worked. But my middle and outer chest still lagging.

And second is right now I'm 227 lbs with 25% bf (haha i know it my bulking didn't go well). What is the best diet for leaning down with minimal muscle losing? Have you experienced with intermittent fasting?

N. Motta
02-16-16, 9:23 pm
Yo Evan. Here's one that may be a bit weird, but I'm srs. totes srs.

Have you/would you ever consider writing anything? Something that could be published?

P Diesel
02-16-16, 11:09 pm
How's the foot braddah?

P

PA Kodiak
02-18-16, 3:04 pm
Evan, I couldn't help but notice in your newest video, there were some books titled "MEAT" and "GROUND BEEF" sitting on your book bookshelf. Do you have any good recipes you could share for ground beef/sirloin?

Ox
02-22-16, 9:28 am
Hello Ox,

I always wanted to ask you some question. And now my dream come true lol. I have two questions.

First one is my chest is always my weakest part. How do I bring that up? I switched flat bench press with incline dumbbell press and it worked. But my middle and outer chest still lagging.

And second is right now I'm 227 lbs with 25% bf (haha i know it my bulking didn't go well). What is the best diet for leaning down with minimal muscle losing? Have you experienced with intermittent fasting?

My reccomendation for bringing up your chest is to get a training partner who can spot well. When performing the movements, it's important to have your partner help you force reps and push past your typical boundaries. overload is what leads to growth! Assuming of course your nutrition is in order!

Based on what I've done, carb cycling yields the best results. Varying your carbohydrate intake (and also fat intake) will keep the body responsive while you stay decently full. I have no experience with intermittent fasting.

Ox
02-22-16, 9:30 am
Yo Evan. Here's one that may be a bit weird, but I'm srs. totes srs.

Have you/would you ever consider writing anything? Something that could be published?

I would consider it. But I feel like most published works are redundant and unnecessarily long. If there were a topic i felt compelled to write about, I don't know if I would be able to go on and on about it. Unless of course it is on the topic of food/nutrition...there's a lot I would have to say!

Ox
02-22-16, 9:31 am
How's the foot braddah?

P

Yoooooooo! MUCH MUCH better my man. Still sore but nothing that is holding me back. Man, I'm not a bitch with pain but it HURT!

Ox
02-22-16, 9:34 am
Evan, I couldn't help but notice in your newest video, there were some books titled "MEAT" and "GROUND BEEF" sitting on your book bookshelf. Do you have any good recipes you could share for ground beef/sirloin?

The books are MEAT and GOOD MEAT. I don't have any recipes for ground beef. These books go more into the discussion around how meat is raised, harvested etc. Various cuts and butchering methods are also explained....not typical cook books. I really don't eat that much ground beef so I don't have any exciting recipes to offer! Sorry man.

PA Kodiak
02-22-16, 10:03 am
The books are MEAT and GOOD MEAT. I don't have any recipes for ground beef. These books go more into the discussion around how meat is raised, harvested etc. Various cuts and butchering methods are also explained....not typical cook books. I really don't eat that much ground beef so I don't have any exciting recipes to offer! Sorry man.

Gotcha. Are they good reads? My pap was a butcher and used to own his own store so I find that stuff interesting.

P Diesel
02-22-16, 10:35 am
Yoooooooo! MUCH MUCH better my man. Still sore but nothing that is holding me back. Man, I'm not a bitch with pain but it HURT!

good to hear! had a DB flip off the rack and do sumthin equally as gruesome, just my toes tho. urs looked much worse into the foot. back to it. talk to u soon my friend.

P

s4rgonnn
02-22-16, 10:42 pm
My reccomendation for bringing up your chest is to get a training partner who can spot well. When performing the movements, it's important to have your partner help you force reps and push past your typical boundaries. overload is what leads to growth! Assuming of course your nutrition is in order!

Based on what I've done, carb cycling yields the best results. Varying your carbohydrate intake (and also fat intake) will keep the body responsive while you stay decently full. I have no experience with intermittent fasting.

Tnx, man.

I have checked my bodyfat and I'm not 25% but around 21%. I'm cutting with 2300 calories with 30% pro, 30% good fats and 40% carbohydrates. Many people is telling that is enough. But i'm still wondering 230 gr of carbs is enough. Is this enough for me?
I'm 225 lbs with 21% bodyfat and doing steady cardio 5 times a week with 20 minutes 2 times a day.

Ox
02-23-16, 2:16 pm
Gotcha. Are they good reads? My pap was a butcher and used to own his own store so I find that stuff interesting.

Both are lenthy books with a LOT of good content...if you have time to kill then yes, worth the read! Then again, if your pops was a butcher, you probably already know a lot of it!

Ox
02-23-16, 2:16 pm
good to hear! had a DB flip off the rack and do sumthin equally as gruesome, just my toes tho. urs looked much worse into the foot. back to it. talk to u soon my friend.

P

Why do foot injuries hurt so damn bad?!

Ox
02-23-16, 2:20 pm
Tnx, man.

I have checked my bodyfat and I'm not 25% but around 21%. I'm cutting with 2300 calories with 30% pro, 30% good fats and 40% carbohydrates. Many people is telling that is enough. But i'm still wondering 230 gr of carbs is enough. Is this enough for me?
I'm 225 lbs with 21% bodyfat and doing steady cardio 5 times a week with 20 minutes 2 times a day.

There is no general rule regarding how many grams of carbs a person needs...technically, they don't need ANY! If your bodyfat is that high, chances are your insulin sensitivity is not great...that said, you would probably be best served keeping carbs on the lower side. T give you a reference, throughout much of my diet for this year's Arnold, my carbs did not exceed 200g per day. Only way for you to know is to try it. If your body composition does not improve, then you likely to need to adjust things.

naturalguy
02-23-16, 2:21 pm

Come on, you stubbed your toe

just kidding bro, that looked gruesome

s4rgonnn
02-23-16, 8:30 pm
There is no general rule regarding how many grams of carbs a person needs...technically, they don't need ANY! If your bodyfat is that high, chances are your insulin sensitivity is not great...that said, you would probably be best served keeping carbs on the lower side. T give you a reference, throughout much of my diet for this year's Arnold, my carbs did not exceed 200g per day. Only way for you to know is to try it. If your body composition does not improve, then you likely to need to adjust things.

Ok, thanks for your response. I will try it.

P Diesel
02-24-16, 10:07 am

same reason papercuts feel like a gunshot wound. who the hell knows

P

N. Motta
02-24-16, 12:03 pm
...Unless of course it is on the topic of food/nutrition...there's a lot I would have to say!

I for one would be very interested. If you ever got that far, maybe selling them as e-book only versions would be a good idea? Save on the cost of actual printing.

Good luck leading up to the Ahnold man.

Ox
02-25-16, 7:07 pm
Come on, you stubbed your toe

just kidding bro, that looked gruesome

Hahahaha..even stubbing your toe hurts! Honestly, I handle pain pretty well and that HURT! I was immediately concerned that something was broken and I wouldn't be able to train...I've never backed out of a show in my life...I would be both dissapointed and embarassed if I has to do that! Luckily, it all worked out...I just kept utting more and more pressure on it and it took it....probably helped it heal faster than if I had rested it to tell you the truth.

Ox
02-25-16, 7:08 pm
same reason papercuts feel like a gunshot wound. who the hell knows

P

Hahahaha...they do though...it's the burn.

Ox
02-25-16, 7:09 pm
I for one would be very interested. If you ever got that far, maybe selling them as e-book only versions would be a good idea? Save on the cost of actual printing.

Good luck leading up to the Ahnold man.

True true...John Meadows and I have actually spoken about possibly doing some sort of collaborative e-book on the topic of nutrition...but talk is as far as we've gotten!

N. Motta
02-25-16, 9:59 pm
True true...John Meadows and I have actually spoken about possibly doing some sort of collaborative e-book on the topic of nutrition...but talk is as far as we've gotten!

I was a member of John's pay site. Loved it. I'd be all over that if you guys did, would be a helluva resource.

PA Kodiak
02-26-16, 7:33 am
Just thowing my 2 cents in, I'd love to see that book come to fruitition!

PA Kodiak
02-28-16, 2:25 pm
Also, I want to share a memory with you and see if you remember it. A few years back you were guest posing at the Pittsburgh Pro at the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall. My brother and I approached you. I said to you "my brother eats so much farm raised tilapia, you gotta get him off of it." Your response was classic. You looked to him and said "I wouldn't feed that shit to my dog!" We still laugh about it to this day.

Ox
02-29-16, 9:49 pm
Also, I want to share a memory with you and see if you remember it. A few years back you were guest posing at the Pittsburgh Pro at the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall. My brother and I approached you. I said to you "my brother eats so much farm raised tilapia, you gotta get him off of it." Your response was classic. You looked to him and said "I wouldn't feed that shit to my dog!" We still laugh about it to this day.

Hahahahaha...I remember the guest posing and I can certainly picture myself saying it! It's true though! I would NOT feed that to any living person or animal that care about!

TheBeatProphet
03-01-16, 4:50 am
Hey Evan, if it's not too much trouble could you please post an example of a days eating on a training day as you prepare for the Arnold, I know it changes constantly throughout the prep but just an example of something around 6 weeks out

Thanks

N. Motta
03-02-16, 11:22 am
Hey Evan, if it's not too much trouble could you please post an example of a days eating on a training day as you prepare for the Arnold, I know it changes constantly throughout the prep but just an example of something around 6 weeks out

Thanks

This is a pretty good place to start. Specifically within the first 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/fpXTDrd1_ac

N. Motta
03-02-16, 11:24 am
By the way Evan, I now have two weird things I'm going to ask you to sign if I ever meet you; an unopened pack of Gold Toes. And a used paper coffee cup. Coffee is the only drug I'm allowed to have, don't you dare try to sway me against it!!

bplay915
03-02-16, 3:43 pm
Hey ev, just watched your process 360 vid on supplements awesome vid great info, quick question tho how does the carbo plus which is maltodextrin derived compare to when you were with prime using meadows product that utilizes highly branches cyclic dextrin. I know meadows would regard maltodextrin far inferior in terms of digestion intra workout. Does it affect your digestion or sit in your stomach during training? I have been experimenting with best carbs while being cost efficient for intra workout just wanted your opinion. Also are you still flavoring it using Gatorade or anything? You didn't mention that in the the vid Thnx!

Ox
03-09-16, 10:21 am

Thanks

Hey man. At around 6 weeks out, I believe a typical day looked something like this:

Meal 1: 8 z ground turkey thighs, 2 cups salad, 1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2: 10 oz cod, 1 cup rice, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup kale

Meal 3: same as 2

Meal 4: 8 oz chicken, 1/4 cup raw almonds, 2 cups salad

Meal 5: same as 4

Meal 6: 8 oz ground turkey thighs, 1 cup veggies

P Diesel
03-09-16, 11:25 am
didnt get to catch up w u this weekend. arnold weekend gets busier every year man. good luck in australia bro

P

KDbeepbeep
03-09-16, 12:27 pm
It was great seeing you this weekend and you looked phenomenal on stage as usual. You're gonna kill it in Australia too!

deiontebrah
03-09-16, 5:42 pm
Hey Evan you looked great at the Arnold! I've read a lot of your posts about gaining mass already, but do you have any tips off the top of your head? Particularly for younger guys.

s4rgonnn
03-09-16, 9:12 pm
Hey Evan,

I'm always doing cardio with watching your the process 360 volume 4 video. Tnx for the motivation man.

TheBeatProphet
03-10-16, 1:32 am
Hey man. At around 6 weeks out, I believe a typical day looked something like this:

Meal 1: 8 z ground turkey thighs, 2 cups salad, 1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2: 10 oz cod, 1 cup rice, 1/2 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup kale

Meal 3: same as 2

Meal 4: 8 oz chicken, 1/4 cup raw almonds, 2 cups salad

Meal 5: same as 4

Meal 6: 8 oz ground turkey thighs, 1 cup veggies

thanks for the response, your condition at the show this past weekend was insane! I hope you come out to the Arnold in South Africa, we need the Cage

Did you maintain these low carbs on all your days or did you cycle with high carb does or re feed days?

PA Kodiak
03-12-16, 11:48 pm
Evan, I remember hearing/reading a story about a bodybuilder who once worked an overnight security job out of his own personal vehicle, which he rigged up microwave inside in order to get all his meals in....was that you? And if so, howd you pull that off?

Ox
03-13-16, 6:56 pm
didnt get to catch up w u this weekend. arnold weekend gets busier every year man. good luck in australia bro

P

Dude! Place was CRAZY busy and a sight to behold as always. Wish I got to see you man; will catch up soon no doubt!

Ox
03-13-16, 6:58 pm
It was great seeing you this weekend and you looked phenomenal on stage as usual. You're gonna kill it in Australia too!

Hey buddy! Great seeing you too. After I introduced you to Erica she asked me how much you could lift. I told her you were going to be deadlifting 315 for reps. She shook her head in approval and said "Yeah, she looks strong." Hahahahahaha. Wish we got to see it. Hope all is well!

Ox
03-13-16, 7:01 pm
Hey Evan you looked great at the Arnold! I've read a lot of your posts about gaining mass already, but do you have any tips off the top of your head? Particularly for younger guys.

Hey man. Much appreciated. Really there are only a few components to gaining mass. People often forget how crucial training is. It's training that creates the NEED for more food. The more food you can create a need for, the more muscle you will build. For this reason, HIGH intensity, heavy training where overload is the main component means everything. Once the need is created, eating plenty of food and geting enough rest is really all there is to complete the equation. Not really a "tip" but it's really all there is to it.

Ox
03-13-16, 7:02 pm
Hey Evan,

I'm always doing cardio with watching your the process 360 volume 4 video. Tnx for the motivation man.

Gotta watch SOMETHING while hammering the cardio! Happy to hear you find the recent vids useful!

Ox
03-13-16, 7:03 pm
thanks for the response, your condition at the show this past weekend was insane! I hope you come out to the Arnold in South Africa, we need the Cage

Did you maintain these low carbs on all your days or did you cycle with high carb does or re feed days?

During the dieting process, I would add in some higher carbs every three or four days.

Ox
03-13-16, 7:04 pm
Evan, I remember hearing/reading a story about a bodybuilder who once worked an overnight security job out of his own personal vehicle, which he rigged up microwave inside in order to get all his meals in....was that you? And if so, howd you pull that off?

Hahahaha...not me brother. But whoever he is, hats off to him!

TheBeatProphet
03-16-16, 10:24 am
During the dieting process, I would add in some higher carbs every three or four days.

When prepping for a show, do you have any pre, post or intra work out carbs?

Do you believe in still having a small serving of faster releasing carbs post workout ?

C.Coronato
03-16-16, 3:14 pm
Enjoy AUS.

Send me a Kangaroo!

Aggression
03-16-16, 5:10 pm
Enjoy AUS.

Send me a Kangaroo!

Dibs on half of that.

s4rgonnn
03-24-16, 2:12 am
Hey, how you doing man?

first of all, congratulations for the Arnolds bro. I couldn't find apple cider vinegar, but bought apple vinegar. Are they similar, or not?

For dosing 2 tablespoons in morning and 2 tablespoons before bed is okay?

Ox
03-29-16, 8:20 am
When prepping for a show, do you have any pre, post or intra work out carbs?

Do you believe in still having a small serving of faster releasing carbs post workout ?

I typically play everything by ear. If I feel my body can handle the extra carbs and or I'm far enough along in condition, I will have carbs during or after training. When dieting, the goal is to eat as much as possible while still getting in condition...so that can mean more nutrients any time of the day really...of course, post training is a great time because of the increased likelihood of carbs being stored as glycogen rather than fat.

Ox
03-29-16, 8:22 am
Enjoy AUS.

Send me a Kangaroo!

Australia was good! I've eaten kangaroo before but didn't come across it this time...Eric really wanted it and I think he was a little dissapointed that we didn't have some. I told him he wasn't missing out on anything...kangaroo just tastes like really tough, lousy beef!

Ox
03-29-16, 8:26 am
Hey, how you doing man?

first of all, congratulations for the Arnolds bro. I couldn't find apple cider vinegar, but bought apple vinegar. Are they similar, or not?

For dosing 2 tablespoons in morning and 2 tablespoons before bed is okay?

Thank you. Apple vinegar should be the same as appke cider vinegar. Keep in mind though, the benefit in including apple cider vinegar in your diet stems from the live cultures, enzymes etc found in the vinegar. However, these benefits/consituents are exclusive to roducts that are raw and have not been pasteurized, flitered etc. BRAGG brand is known for this and is the typical go-to. If the apple cider vinegar you're using has been pasteurized etc then unfortunately, it offers little benefit compared to any other vinegar.

Altered Beast
03-29-16, 12:22 pm
What carb sources do you prefer for your pre-workout meal? Rice, noodles, etc? Also, do you eat different foods on different days like lighter meals on Shoulder training days over heavier meals on Leg day?

Ox
04-05-16, 11:10 am
What carb sources do you prefer for your pre-workout meal? Rice, noodles, etc? Also, do you eat different foods on different days like lighter meals on Shoulder training days over heavier meals on Leg day?

I don't really differentiate my carb sources based on time of day although I do have carbs sources that I like in general; rice, potatoes and oats are my staples. I don't always have carbs before training. Unless I'm in a VERY calorie depelted state, I don't feel that having carbs pre training has that much of an impact on my performance. But I do feel that what I've eaten in the past 24 hours does make a big difference. So long as I have decent glycogen stored, I'm good. As for the day, I eat more in response than I do in anticipation.

s4rgonnn
04-05-16, 9:05 pm
Hello Ox,

How much fat i can melt a week naturally? I'm seeing great results with low carbohydrate diet, but there is 25 pounds of fat i want to lose. How long will it take?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ox
04-06-16, 9:31 am
Hello Ox,

How much fat i can melt a week naturally? I'm seeing great results with low carbohydrate diet, but there is 25 pounds of fat i want to lose. How long will it take?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey Buddy,

Honestly, it's tough to say as everyone is different and there a lot of variables to consider; diet, training, cardio, metabolism etc. The standard has always been around 2 pounds per week. If a poound of bodyfat contains 2000 calories, 2 pounds of bodyfat per week would require a deficit/expenditure of 4000 calories/just under 600 calories per day. Between dietary restriction and additional calorie expenditure (training, cardio, fat burners etc) 600 calories per day is doable. Of course, there are a couple of considerations: 1. You want the calories being burned to be fat and not glycogen or protein. To burn 100% fat with burning of protein or carbs is unrealistic. 2. As your bodyfat decreases, so does your bodyweight; your metabolism becomes more efficient and creating that same deficit is no longer so easy!

In short, if you were losing 2 pounds per week of pure fat you would be doing about as good as possibly be hoped for!

s4rgonnn
04-12-16, 10:15 pm
Hey Buddy,

Honestly, it's tough to say as everyone is different and there a lot of variables to consider; diet, training, cardio, metabolism etc. The standard has always been around 2 pounds per week. If a poound of bodyfat contains 2000 calories, 2 pounds of bodyfat per week would require a deficit/expenditure of 4000 calories/just under 600 calories per day. Between dietary restriction and additional calorie expenditure (training, cardio, fat burners etc) 600 calories per day is doable. Of course, there are a couple of considerations: 1. You want the calories being burned to be fat and not glycogen or protein. To burn 100% fat with burning of protein or carbs is unrealistic. 2. As your bodyfat decreases, so does your bodyweight; your metabolism becomes more efficient and creating that same deficit is no longer so easy!

In short, if you were losing 2 pounds per week of pure fat you would be doing about as good as possibly be hoped for!

Thanks man,

I'm leaning out day after day, and everybody notices. I think i'm losing some fat, minimal muscle. What about cheat day? One a month or two? Or never, haha.

N. Motta
04-16-16, 9:21 pm
Evan, how's it going man?

Wondering if you have any suggestions, for a good, healthy marinade to use on chicken. Finding it tough to find something locally. They either all have low sugar and HFCS, or they have gobs of sugar, but free of HFCS. I have a feeling you're going to say you usually do/did your chicken plain when you grilled it. Haha, just thought I'd check though.

rainman
04-18-16, 2:14 pm
Hi Evan. Hope all is going well?

If Marty McFly were to turn up in his Delorean and you could go back to any era of bodybuilding, when would that be? Would it be based on a more health conscious decision or is there a particular competitor you'd have liked to have shared a stage with?

Thanks for your time.

Ox
04-22-16, 7:29 pm
Thanks man,

I'm leaning out day after day, and everybody notices. I think i'm losing some fat, minimal muscle. What about cheat day? One a month or two? Or never, haha.

Well then it sounds as though things are about as good as can be!

Usually, one cheat meal (a reasonable one!) per week is a good idea. But if you're doing well, you might not want to change anything!

Ox
04-22-16, 7:30 pm
Evan, how's it going man?

Wondering if you have any suggestions, for a good, healthy marinade to use on chicken. Finding it tough to find something locally. They either all have low sugar and HFCS, or they have gobs of sugar, but free of HFCS. I have a feeling you're going to say you usually do/did your chicken plain when you grilled it. Haha, just thought I'd check though.

Honestly man, I'm the wrong guy to answer this question...I know ZERO about marinades. I typically either cook my food plain or add some fresh herbs like parsley, oregano and or marjoram. I'm not into all the sodium, spices etc.

Ox
04-22-16, 7:33 pm
Hi Evan. Hope all is going well?

If Marty McFly were to turn up in his Delorean and you could go back to any era of bodybuilding, when would that be? Would it be based on a more health conscious decision or is there a particular competitor you'd have liked to have shared a stage with?

Thanks for your time.

I think the late 60s would have been incredible...when the sport was close to being its purest. Plus, I dig the style. Would have liked to compete against/know Bill Pearl in his Prime. Late 80s would have awesome too though. Onstage wth Haney would have been incredible. Pus, I grew up in the 80s and LOVE the fact that muscle was cool back then. Plus, people just had more fun in the 80s! And as you mentioned, BOTH of those eras were healthier than the current one.

How about you?

rainman
04-24-16, 7:56 pm
I think the late 60s would have been incredible...when the sport was close to being its purest. Plus, I dig the style. Would have liked to compete against/know Bill Pearl in his Prime. Late 80s would have awesome too though. Onstage wth Haney would have been incredible. Pus, I grew up in the 80s and LOVE the fact that muscle was cool back then. Plus, people just had more fun in the 80s! And as you mentioned, BOTH of those eras were healthier than the current one.

How about you?

Thanks for the reply, Evan. The question came about after I watched Predator, (for probably the hundredth time), last week. Muscle was indeed cool back then. All of Dutch's team was a proper badass. Plus, all the footage of bodybuilders training around that time seemed like everyone had a laugh whilst getting the work done. It looked like a much better time to be a bodybuilder, whereas now it seems that everything in modern bodybuilding is scrutinised and questioned and the risks come across as much greater. Sorry if that sounds negative, but it just seems like bodybuilders are getting a shit deal nowadays.

I am no bodybuilder myself, but have always admired Francis Benfatto or Bob Paris' physiques. Guess if I was going to get beaten on stage it better be by someone closer to my body weight.

Ox
04-24-16, 9:07 pm
Thanks for the reply, Evan. The question came about after I watched Predator, (for probably the hundredth time), last week. Muscle was indeed cool back then. All of Dutch's team was a proper badass. Plus, all the footage of bodybuilders training around that time seemed like everyone had a laugh whilst getting the work done. It looked like a much better time to be a bodybuilder, whereas now it seems that everything in modern bodybuilding is scrutinised and questioned and the risks come across as much greater. Sorry if that sounds negative, but it just seems like bodybuilders are getting a shit deal nowadays.

I am no bodybuilder myself, but have always admired Francis Benfatto or Bob Paris' physiques. Guess if I was going to get beaten on stage it better be by someone closer to my body weight.

The fun has been taken out of everything in life! It's not just bodybuilding...it's the way society is. I remember riding my bike for hours after school when I was a kid and playing in the woods....I always found shit to do. Now, kids need to BE entertained...money needs to be spent...and even then, it's all very fleeting. Consider cars...when I was growing up, if someone had a 5.0 Mustang GT, he was cool....that car was well under $20,000 in 1990. Now, everyone is trying so hard to impress each other that even if you drive a $100,000 car, nobody is immpressed! NOTHING is cool nowadays...everyone is so serious. I think the 80s were just more fun. Maybe it's just because I was a kid then...I don't know. Look at the gyms...in the 80s and 90s, everyone worked out together and got along fine...now, women want to work out by themselves, people don't want to work out with bodybuilders, everyone is intimidated by this or offended by that...it's fucking brutal! I wasn't a bodybuider in 1991 but my guess is that yes, it was more fun than it is now!

P Diesel
04-29-16, 11:05 am
The fun has been taken out of everything in life! It's not just bodybuilding...it's the way society is. I remember riding my bike for hours after school when I was a kid and playing in the woods....I always found shit to do. Now, kids need to BE entertained...money needs to be spent...and even then, it's all very fleeting. Consider cars...when I was growing up, if someone had a 5.0 Mustang GT, he was cool....that car was well under $20,000 in 1990. Now, everyone is trying so hard to impress each other that even if you drive a $100,000 car, nobody is immpressed! NOTHING is cool nowadays...everyone is so serious. I think the 80s were just more fun. Maybe it's just because I was a kid then...I don't know. Look at the gyms...in the 80s and 90s, everyone worked out together and got along fine...now, women want to work out by themselves, people don't want to work out with bodybuilders, everyone is intimidated by this or offended by that...it's fucking brutal! I wasn't a bodybuider in 1991 but my guess is that yes, it was more fun than it is now!

Man i could not agree more. hope u are well my friend. hopefully see u soon

P

Ox
05-01-16, 7:40 pm
Man i could not agree more. hope u are well my friend. hopefully see u soon

P

Ya hate to come across as negative but it is what it is. Glad you feel me! See you soon my man. Hope all is well.

Johnny_91
05-03-16, 10:05 am
Hi Evan,

somewhere you mentioned, that in offseason you only eat 3 - 4 meals a day. I don`t now your calorie intake in the offseason, but lets say 5000 calories. Are they completly clean, or do you consume some type of "helpers" like Pizza or Pasta with sauce ?

You got any tips for me how to improve my lagging part the chest ? Im training now 4 times a week like this:

Monday: chest, triceps

Wednesday: legs calves

Thursday: chest

Friday: back, shoulders

Any tips what i can do better ? I know that most of the people train chest and shoulder together, but when i doing like this, i have not that much force at the end of the workout, to hit shoulders hard. On the other hand i have a shoulderload of three times per week, as you can see.

regards, Johnny

TheBeatProphet
05-05-16, 9:03 am
Hi Evan, was watching your latest video on the Animal Chanel and was interested in your remark on fructose and some fruits having more than others.

I was wondering in general is a Banana really a decent pre work out carb as many old school bodybuilding diets state, I have found when training first thing in the AM I sometimes have a banana with my whey isolate as its light and digests easily and quickly but is this a good source of carb to fill out glycogen stores?

is it better to use fruit to add nutrients and variation to your diet but rather use basic like rice, potatoes etc as carb source?

PS do you know if the Cage or any Animal athletes are coming to South Africa for the Arnold Classic end May ?

Ox
05-09-16, 11:16 am
Hi Evan,

somewhere you mentioned, that in offseason you only eat 3 - 4 meals a day. I don`t now your calorie intake in the offseason, but lets say 5000 calories. Are they completly clean, or do you consume some type of "helpers" like Pizza or Pasta with sauce ?

You got any tips for me how to improve my lagging part the chest ? Im training now 4 times a week like this:

Monday: chest, triceps

Wednesday: legs calves

Thursday: chest

Friday: back, shoulders

Any tips what i can do better ? I know that most of the people train chest and shoulder together, but when i doing like this, i have not that much force at the end of the workout, to hit shoulders hard. On the other hand i have a shoulderload of three times per week, as you can see.

regards, Johnny

Offseason my calorie intake varies...I don't count it to be honest. It's usually around 90% clean with some things like burgers and or fries thrown in here and there.

For chest, get a training partner and have him help you incorporate more intensity techniques into your training; going to or past failure, negatives, drop sets etc. Push each set further. What is a shoulderload?

Ox
05-09-16, 11:23 am
Hi Evan, was watching your latest video on the Animal Chanel and was interested in your remark on fructose and some fruits having more than others.

I was wondering in general is a Banana really a decent pre work out carb as many old school bodybuilding diets state, I have found when training first thing in the AM I sometimes have a banana with my whey isolate as its light and digests easily and quickly but is this a good source of carb to fill out glycogen stores?

is it better to use fruit to add nutrients and variation to your diet but rather use basic like rice, potatoes etc as carb source?

PS do you know if the Cage or any Animal athletes are coming to South Africa for the Arnold Classic end May ?

A banana prior to training can be good for energy so long as it doesn't affect your blood sugar levels. As for "fillout out glycogen stores" it takes up to 24 hours for carbs to be converted into muscle glycogen. If you have a banana at 8 a.m., it won't be glycogen by 9 a.m.! If you want your glycigen stores for your workout to be maximized. consume starches in the 245 hours prior to your training session so that they can build. Fruit, in my opinion, doesn't have much use the diet. It tastes great, can have beneficial nutrients and add varety to the diet but they're not ideal for replenishing glycogen and there isn't much they can do that vegetables can't do better and with less sugar. Basically, starches are better for glycogen and vegetables can provide more nutrion with less sugar. So the only real reason to include fruit is to add some variety to your diet and because you like the taste.

I don't know if Animal will be at te Arnold Classic expo in May. Sorry man.

DGymn
06-10-16, 3:17 pm
He Ox!

Will you continue to post content of your own on your website?
I've noticed you haven't really made any since you signed with animal again.

Hope you continue to do! Love it!

Ox
06-14-16, 4:37 pm
He Ox!

Will you continue to post content of your own on your website?
I've noticed you haven't really made any since you signed with animal again.

Hope you continue to do! Love it!

Eventually! Been slightly consumed with another project but I hope to begin putting out some fresh content in the near future. Glad you find it interesting!

skull
06-17-16, 6:24 pm
Hi Evan , what do you think about 10x10 routine for deadlift, Is it enough for one training session, or should I add some extra movements/exercise.
All the best

Ox
06-20-16, 10:09 am
Hi Evan , what do you think about 10x10 routine for deadlift, Is it enough for one training session, or should I add some extra movements/exercise.
All the best

I think 10x10 is awesome. It's very important though that the timing between sets be kept strict...no more than 90 seconds. And the weight used must be right...if you are able to get 10 reps on all 10 sets the weight is too light. By the 5th set or so, you should begin failing to get all 10. By the last set, you shouldn't be able to complete more than 5 or 6 reps.

Is it ebough to function as a standalone? Maybe. But I would still throw in pulldowns and barbell rows.

N. Motta
06-21-16, 10:42 am
Evan

What's good man?

My wife and I are getting interested in growing our own fresh herbs, as I've seen you do. I'd be interested to see a little bit about how you planted or arranged your plants and what you've got growing.

She also says she wants to see more video of your kitchen, haha. We're getting ready to build a house and we have both remarked how great your remodel turned out.

MRmichael.hooker
06-22-16, 11:01 am
What's up OX. How's the family and your daughter?
I was curious about your thoughts on adding in Torrent to my intra-workout? Right now intra, I'm just drinking juiced aminos and post workout i'll do nitro and then solid food 30mins later or so. I've been adding in a lot more cardio & fast-paced workouts to really get my cardio health up. Kind of mixing it in with my body building style training. Things like supersetting bench press with mountain climbers or Barbell rows & 1/4mile sprints, etc. My diet is pretty on point and I feel good most days, but was debating on adding Torrent in to have the fast carbs in my blood stream before my workout is finished to start replenishing my glycogen instead of just adding in stimulants. Any thoughts?

Ox
06-23-16, 11:46 am
Evan

What's good man?

My wife and I are getting interested in growing our own fresh herbs, as I've seen you do. I'd be interested to see a little bit about how you planted or arranged your plants and what you've got growing.

She also says she wants to see more video of your kitchen, haha. We're getting ready to build a house and we have both remarked how great your remodel turned out.

Hey man!

I go back and forth with posting gardening stuff as I'm not sure how people will feel about it. Strangely, people DO consistently ask to see more of it from me. We'll see : )

Building a house! Congratulations. That's no small project. Very very exciting

Kowboy
06-23-16, 12:39 pm
Tried your suggestion on parsley and oregano on chicken and it is really good. I really found that I didn't need the extra salt n peppa (haha) like I use to before. Any tips on freshening up rice to keep it interesting?

Ox
06-30-16, 8:05 pm
Tried your suggestion on parsley and oregano on chicken and it is really good. I really found that I didn't need the extra salt n peppa (haha) like I use to before. Any tips on freshening up rice to keep it interesting?

Nice! How to spice your rice eh?

Currently, I like couple combinations. If I'm using my rice cooker to prepare 3 cups cooked rice, I'll add 1 tbsp powdered turmeric or 3 tbsp fresh ground turmeric along with 2 tbsp olive oil. Once it's cooked, I'll add 1 tsp ceylon cinnamon and some sea salt. It's pretty good and great for digestion.

The other combo I like and have been doing a lot lately because I grow the herbs in my garden is fresh marjoram and fresh chives with seal salt. Really nice...especially with fish and lemon.

DGymn
07-02-16, 2:34 am
Nice! How to spice your rice eh?

Currently, I like couple combinations. If I'm using my rice cooker to prepare 3 cups cooked rice, I'll add 1 tbsp powdered turmeric or 3 tbsp fresh ground turmeric along with 2 tbsp olive oil. Once it's cooked, I'll add 1 tsp ceylon cinnamon and some sea salt. It's pretty good and great for digestion.

The other combo I like and have been doing a lot lately because I grow the herbs in my garden is fresh marjoram and fresh chives with seal salt. Really nice...especially with fish and lemon.

The turmeric + cinnamon combo is awesome! Too bad I can't find any fresh turmeric over here..
I'm moving next month and then I'll be able to have a little herb garden, can't wait to try the herb combos..

Ox
07-14-16, 7:19 pm
The turmeric + cinnamon combo is awesome! Too bad I can't find any fresh turmeric over here..
I'm moving next month and then I'll be able to have a little herb garden, can't wait to try the herb combos..

The fresh stuff is a whle other animal. I was curious and wondering if the pwdered version was as potent (or possibly even MORE) potent than fresh, as is oftentimes the case with herbs. Many claim that essential oils containing a great deal of active constituents are lost in the drying process. Oh well. I still use powdered if I cant get my hands on fresh roots.

mass3011
08-05-16, 6:47 am
Man it's been a long time since I posted on here, looking for some extra motivation 8 weeks other from a show. Just wanted what your views on low volume HIT style training is? I know you trained with Dorian as have I. Alot of time now i train with more volume and stay away from go to failure, I train hard but almost feel bad because I'm not giving it my all if that makes sense haha, do you have a set number of sets per bodypart? And thoughts on training past failure?

N. Motta
09-20-16, 3:12 pm
Friggin quiet in here!

Evan, really like the recent cooking video. Got the first batch of rice cooking up, with the ingredients you suggested. Had never seen or used cardamom before, the stuff smells incredible.

Also picked up a couple of cooling racks, thinking I should have got some a long time ago. I'm assuming they'll help protein sources not collect the nasty pool of congealed, fat/liquid in my storage containers?

Thanks dude.

P Diesel
09-21-16, 2:00 pm
great seein u at the Olympia brother.

P

Shaggy6386
10-07-16, 1:23 pm
Hi Evan,

Great "no limit" video, probably one of my favorite diet/nutritional videos. I'm want to try that rice recipe this weekend, hopefully I can find some turmeric root; can't imagine how the powdered version is better than the fresh stuff. The pancake recipe didn't come out as good as expected, not the best pancake mix was used plus I'm not used to flipping pancakes that massive.

DGymn
11-03-16, 3:13 pm
Evan,

In a couple of your video's you we're talking about eating certain foods can help reduces oestrogoen and improve testosteron.
Could you give some more info on this? Caloric intake and fat content are probebly most important for testosteron, but what else is?
And what's you experience with it, does it really make a difference?

Universal Rep
11-11-16, 9:57 am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-pqjTy_Lo

s4rgonnn
11-23-16, 3:40 am
Hey Evan,

How you doing man? Pretty interested in your new programm Iron intelligence. But when i have been preparing for show, injured my back pretty back. With some therapy there is no pain now. But lost some muscle, gained huge belly haha. Really confused about my "come back" training. Can i start my training with Iron intelligence? Or do some cutting?

TheBeatProphet
12-05-16, 9:06 am
Hey Evan, I wanted to gen your opinion on these 2 subject, I know you are friends and train a lot with John Meadows and have used some of his intra workout formulas so would value your opinion on these diet principles.

Do you believe in intrawork out nutrition? why is this so much more beneficial then just taking aminos pre and post ?

And more importantly, do you really need fancy carbs like highly branched cyclic dextrin in this formula? WOuld something like dextrose work similarly well?

In South africa highly branched cyclic dextrin is very expensive so would other sources like dextrose, vitargo etc do just as well?

Which aminos would you add, are just bcaa efficient or would essential aminos make that much more difference ?

then secondly. If training a body part more than once a week, if the next training day comes for that body part, but its still a little sore, would you still train it again a second time or would this be negative rather than positive?

thanks for your time and please come to the Arnold Classic in South Africa in 2017, we need the cage :D

Kowboy
12-06-16, 12:07 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-pqjTy_Lo

I needed this video, I travel a lot now and I have been struggling. The hardest part for me is watching hte guys shovel down food but I don't want to look like them so I need to focus.

Thanks Animal and Ox for shooting this. I may do the 12 week trainer...

Rex
12-24-16, 11:01 am
Hey my friend,

Hope all is well. Merry Christmas to you and your familiy.

Have you ever given intra training drinks a legit trial run?

If so, what was your experience?

Also, what did your concoction consist of?

Animal Rep
01-25-17, 12:03 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLTOXXGf6Yg

PA Kodiak
01-29-17, 8:25 am
Where's Evan been?

Fe-MD
01-31-17, 12:53 pm
Got lost in his garden :P

N. Motta
02-01-17, 11:21 am
Posts more over on the MD forums. Understandably so. That place is a lot looser. And in my opinion, more fun.

PA Kodiak
02-05-17, 3:40 pm
Got lost in his garden :P

Lmao hes's entangled in dill, someone go help him out.

N. Motta
02-06-17, 2:30 pm
Speaking of;

How do you keep all the fresh herbs going through the winter Evan? Some of your potted plants are pretty big. Do you have enough room near windows to bring them in when it freezes or do you reseed every year?

N. Motta
02-06-17, 2:44 pm
Also, where you getting your chicken livers and hearts? There proving a little tough to find around my area.

N. Motta
02-09-17, 5:16 pm
Sorry to hear about the injury man.

I've taken the liberty of reaching out to The Gold Toe company. Working on getting some post-surgery compression tights made up. Black in color, but still the same trademark gold thread in the heel and toe.

Get better dude.

skull
02-11-17, 5:55 pm
Evan you were inspiring for many of us for years. When I saw you first time, i fell in love in bodybuilding. When i heard about your injury i was sad, but dude you are tough and i know you are gone come back stronger then ever. I wish you fast recovery and all the best to you and your family.

stxlift
06-14-17, 10:15 pm
Evan, thanks for all the motivation. Don't know if you'll see this post - but appreciate everything you bring to the game. All your videos are legit, you represent Animal the best.

N. Motta
08-09-17, 12:04 am
Congrats on the baby Evan. Hope everyone is doing great.

Derek Lunsford
09-23-17, 12:02 pm
Was nice to get to know you over the Olympia weekend man. You've helped guide a lot of people in the right direction including myself. It's a pleasure to be part of the same company with an honest, genuine guy like yourself. Have to get a training session in next time.

spartan300
01-12-18, 11:03 am
Whats the plan for 2018 Big E? You know Sandow called, he wants to know when your picking him up?

spartan300
01-15-18, 11:58 am
I do hope all is well with you. Evan, you have come so far and I sincerely hope you have big plans for competing in 2018. I know family always comes first I get it, but time waits for no man! I've been married for 40 years,raised a child and in doing that I put my bodybuilding career on the back burner. (my choice of course).Never reaching my full potential. Mind you there were other contributing factors but my families needs were definitely a priority. I'm just saying buddy.