PDA

View Full Version : Bread, Evil Incarnate???

Whiteseraph86
06-20-07, 1:07 pm
Is bread the bane of all bodybuilders? Yes, I know how unhealthy white bread is, but wouldn't the same rule apply to whole wheat bread? They are both processed foods filled with flour and whatever else they cram into it nowadays, and I can't imagine that doughy "goodness" turing into anything but extra pounds on the scale, and not the good kind. Out of my own experience, being overwieght as long as I can remember, I would eat two whole wheat sandwiches (with nothing but lean turkey and lettuce in between) for lunch everday and my belt size gradually increased. And guess what? When I simply cut out all bread - I lost ALOT of weight! So anyway, if bread is seemingly nothing but fat in loaf form, why is some types of the stuff being touted as healthy and good for you? Is it another ploy of the government to make us buy more bread or something? Post!

krazyassmexican
06-20-07, 1:11 pm
i dont think wheat bread is bad at all

it just depends on the time and the ammount u eat

i say that cuz i dont think u need to eat at 8 pm the same amount of bread u eat at 8 am

gsb239
06-20-07, 2:46 pm
I don't got a problem with whole grain bread, especially sprouted grain bread (made without flour).

Bread may not be the best choice for a bodybuilder, but whole grain bread's considered pretty healthy for the average person. Loaded with fibre, low in fats (especially trans). I think you gotta watch how much you eat, and more importantly what you put on it.

DRIVEN
06-20-07, 2:47 pm
if you wana get big, EAT EAT EAT, read machines article on it

bigrhino
06-20-07, 7:27 pm
my energy has improved and i look alot better since i cut ALL bread out of my diet. now, for carbs, i eat oats. try it for a month, and tell me you don't look and feel better

naturalguy
06-20-07, 9:01 pm
Bread is not the devil. It has it's place in a proper bodybuilding diet.

Obviously you want to stay away from white bread however 100% whole wheat and Ezekiel breads are very good sources of carbs.

WillWest
06-21-07, 6:55 am
I packed in the bread a few months ago, dont miss it, dont want it.

I wouldnt say its evil stuff or no-one should be eating it but my choice was to can it and forget about it. The trouble with bread is you've got to put something on it. I've never thought to myself "i could do with a nice peice of dry bread" so is the only reason its eaten is because people dont want to use cuttlery or eat food out of containers?

dIdDy
06-22-07, 7:39 pm
here's the deal with bread. You see all these bright flashy prints on the loaf says "whole wheat" this and "low carb" this, but what it all boils down to is it's all crap unless you get "WHOLE GRAIN" WITHOUT ADDED HFCS (high fructose corn syrup)

99.9% of bread has tons of HFCS in it and the human body cannot process this for energy UNTILL it converts it to fat......guess what that means....

Gainer65
06-22-07, 8:32 pm
here's the deal with bread. You see all these bright flashy prints on the loaf says "whole wheat" this and "low carb" this, but what it all boils down to is it's all crap unless you get "WHOLE GRAIN" WITHOUT ADDED HFCS (high fructose corn syrup)

99.9% of bread has tons of HFCS in it and the human body cannot process this for energy UNTILL it converts it to fat......guess what that means....

Good point.Also,stay away with any bread that has "enriched flour"in it.

dIdDy
06-22-07, 8:43 pm
Good point.Also,stay away with any bread that has "enriched flour"in it.

STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING WITH "ENRICHED" IN IT...

Whiteseraph86
06-23-07, 2:07 pm

Yeah, that's my point.

justinbrown
06-23-07, 3:30 pm

if you buy it from a local deli or something i think your way better off...thats where i get my bread....all home made...no crap whatsoever in it...but the pre-sliced/packaged stuff from actual COMPANIES...that i can agree on...gotta be careful with those

anml
10-28-07, 7:57 pm
any one out there know why you should not eat it? it is a complex carb right?i alway see people talking about eating whole grain but why? thanks

H.U.G.E
10-28-07, 8:06 pm
Even though i am not a watchman i would just like to remind you of the search function... This is an ideal time to use it... But im not really tryin to be like that so hears some info... White bread is a simple carb and fast digesting,meaning it will spike ure insulin which is not something u are lookin to do unless it occurs post workout... If u spike ure insulin any other time it has been said that it will make u fatter... What is ure goal at the time... Cut? bULK ? Maintain?... Its pretty much just bad unless ingested PW...

-H.U.G.E-

violator
10-29-07, 7:08 am
heaped with sugar loaded white flour....not good..

adidas
10-29-07, 8:19 am
heaped with sugar loaded white flour....not good..

i just checked the white flower in my freezer..and surprisingly for its 22g of carbs per serving, it only had less than 1g sugar.

doesn't seem very sugar loaded to me.

even on most white bread packages, the sugar content is roughly 2-3g per serving of bread.

white bread is not the devil and is not going to kill, wreck or stall one's wt lifting progress if the rest of one's diet is kept in check. hell if one is bulking why not eat it...

Northman
10-29-07, 8:24 am
i just checked the white flower in my freezer..and surprisingly for its 22g of carbs per serving, it only had less than 1g sugar.

even on most white bread packages, the sugar content is roughly 2-3g per serving of bread.

white bread is not the devil and is not going to kill, wreck or stall one's wt lifting progress if the rest of one's diet is kept in check. hell if one is bulking why not eat it...

You keep stating the benefits of eating whole eggs. Eating whole grains is the same. You get rid of all the nutrients contained in the grain through the process of making white flour. However, there is a time and place for it. I have a friend who cannot stomach sugary drinks (i.e. post workout nutrition) and so he has 5 slices of white bread with his post workout protein.

SpartanGlory96
10-29-07, 9:02 am
well heres a very basic look at the white vs Grains. White is Fast Digesting vs Grains are Slow. White tends to get more fat storage compared to Grains. Grains keep me full for a longer time as well, hence that it is a slow digesting carb. However in no way is white bread bad. It all depends on your goal. White bread and other simple carbs are usually best eaten in the earlier parts of the day, and especially after a workout. (This is prlly not super accurate but its around the ballpark, plus im bout to go do my mornin workout, PEACE)

violator
10-29-07, 9:25 am

Cool bro, u go & eat that bread then....c how far it gets you, ill stick to whole grains thanks.

simpleguy
10-29-07, 9:32 am
white flour is processed by your body just like a simple carb due to the fact that it's pretty much 'artificial', meaning it's very refined... period

adidas
10-29-07, 9:35 am
You keep stating the benefits of eating whole eggs. Eating whole grains is the same. You get rid of all the nutrients contained in the grain through the process of making white flour. However, there is a time and place for it. I have a friend who cannot stomach sugary drinks (i.e. post workout nutrition) and so he has 5 slices of white bread with his post workout protein.

i know and understand this, my comment was directed at the fact that it was reffered to as a HIGHLY sugar loaded bread. when in fact it is not sugar loaded. carb loaded yes. most liklely vitamin/mineral fortified due to bleaching process. it increase insulin secretion a wee more than WW bread, but if consumed with other foods, it is not going to have the same impact as eaten alone.

also at the end of the day...ALL carbs = sugar WW or other wise.

adidas
10-29-07, 9:35 am
Cool bro, u go & eat that bread then....c how far it gets you, ill stick to whole grains thanks.

i dont eat bread.

also this comment doesnt address the fact that you reffered to a bread type as high sugar when it is not.

violator
10-29-07, 9:36 am
found this.....

When grains are refined (for example to produce white flour), the bran and germ layers are generally removed, leaving only the endosperm. This 'refining' process can cause 66% loss of fibre, 92% loss of selenium, 62% loss of folate and up to 99.8% of phytochemicals from the grains. Some fibre, vitamins and minerals may be added back into refined cereal products (such as white bread) which compensates for losses due to refining, but its impossible to add the mix of phytochemicals that's lost in the processing. Sometimes, the fibre that is added back to refined products is derived from vegetable fibre (lupin, pea hulls). Some breads contain 'Hi- maize' which is a resistant starch from corn. It is unknown whether these breads have similar beneficial properties to breads high in cereal fibres. For example, 'Hi-maize' does not have the same laxative effect as wheat fibre. Refined cereals, such as white flour, generally have a higher glycaemic index (GI) than their wholegrain counterparts. This means that consuming refined cereals causes a sharp rise in blood sugars, demanding a strong response from the pancreas. A diet full of high glycaemic index foods has been linked to the development of diabetes and heart disease. Studies have also found that people who eat large amounts of refined cereals do so at the expense of more nutritious foods like fruits and vegetables. This increases the risk of certain diseases, such as some types of cancer.

ANewBreed
10-29-07, 2:20 pm
I just finished reading the post about most breads having high fructose corn syrup, something I thought I finally rid my life of, and sure enough it was in my 100% Whole Grain Ultra Super Healthy bread (lol)......I never knew that they could put that crap in everything

adidas
10-29-07, 2:26 pm
I just finished reading the post about most breads having high fructose corn syrup, something I thought I finally rid my life of, and sure enough it was in my 100% Whole Grain Ultra Super Healthy bread (lol)......I never knew that they could put that crap in everything
you cant hide from it now adays...you have to search high and low to find alsmost anything with out HFCS in it.

anml
10-29-07, 5:19 pm
so what do you guys yous as your main source of complex carbs. please dont say oats. i'm fuckin tired of oats and all i do is eat 1 cup in the morning but thats enough.

adidas
10-29-07, 5:26 pm
so what do you guys yous as your main source of complex carbs. please dont say oats. i'm fuckin tired of oats and all i do is eat 1 cup in the morning but thats enough.

i dont.

unless you concider cabrs in almonds complex.

lycan_warlord
10-29-07, 5:35 pm
i eat wheat bread just fine. nothing like a couple globs of pB on some wheat break with a class of protein/milk...mmmm mmm

-lycan

ANewBreed
10-29-07, 6:01 pm
I just went to the grocery store and I had to look at 5-6 different brands (mind you these are the ones that have "natural", "100% whole grain") before I found one without enriched sugar and high fructose corn syrup....keep your eyes open people!

anml
10-29-07, 6:15 pm
any one know if corn tortillas are complex or simple carbs. ive been look on the web for a while now and can not find a damb thing on it . thanks

Upstatebuilder07
10-29-07, 6:37 pm
Bread is not the devil. It has it's place in a proper bodybuilding diet.

Obviously you want to stay away from white bread however 100% whole wheat and Ezekiel breads are very good sources of carbs.

sums it all up ezekiel even has low sodium now

WeeMan
09-07-08, 4:32 pm
i grew up with a dad who loved bread, every type of bread he tried with soup, honey, jam, marmalade whatever!! so i love bread!

so why do bodybuilders hate it, whats wrong with bread? tell me.

mritter3
09-07-08, 4:37 pm
there is nothing wrong with bread, i have whole wheat toast in the morning and a turkey sandwich for a snack in the afternoon, i think it is for people who do not want any carbs in there diet, they stay away from all that stuff.

k1usa
09-07-08, 5:00 pm
Bread is a good thing...lets look at eating..which from conversation with Branch Warren...Jay Cutler I had last year and this year...eating is the big challenge....so slop on the peanut butter...toast the fucker....and down the good stuff...

WeeMan
09-07-08, 5:09 pm
i like what im hearing fellas!

Giant Killer
09-07-08, 5:43 pm
Whole Wheat Bread- I love it. Eat the shit out of it.

Check the ingredients though. It's gotta' be legit, none of this, white flour plus molasses crap.

sanga
09-07-08, 5:48 pm
People on low carb or zero carb diets avoid bread, people with wheat intollerances too but if you are bulking or even not watching the carbs then eat it, wholegrain/meal is fine.

shizz702
09-07-08, 6:22 pm
Shit bro I eat whole wheat bread all the time! I must have at least 2 sandiches a day lol.

stumblin54
09-07-08, 7:12 pm
so why do bodybuilders hate it, whats wrong with bread? tell me.

A lot of breads have horrible refined ingredients in them, use enriched flour, and have plenty of sugar. Even a lot of the "good" breads out there are really not too good, and there are plenty of better carb sources out there as well. Oats and grits for example.

Stumblin

mfl5027
09-07-08, 7:35 pm
A lot of breads have horrible refined ingredients in them, use enriched flour, and have plenty of sugar. Even a lot of the "good" breads out there are really not too good, and there are plenty of better carb sources out there as well. Oats and grits for example.

Stumblin

That's all true, but how good or bad bread is for you ultimately depends on your goals and the rest of you diet.

prowrestler
09-07-08, 8:43 pm
theres only 12 pieces per loaf and 2 of them or end pieces.

stumblin54
09-07-08, 10:37 pm
That's all true, but how good or bad bread is for you ultimately depends on your goals and the rest of you diet.

Yes, but I was responding to the OP's question. He wanted to know why a lot of BB's hate it.

Stumblin

TheDarkHalf
09-07-08, 11:00 pm

Stumblin

X2. You really need to make sure you read the ingredient label - if it doesn't say whole wheat oat, then the bread is bad news!

simpleguy
09-08-08, 4:26 am

Stumblin

yeah, I see a lot of breads that are like 50% white flour and 50% whole wheat... I only use it as a last resort haha

TheDarkHalf
09-08-08, 1:42 pm
Honestly, I find that whole wheat oat made products taste much better than the enriched/unbleached flour shit anyways.

stumblin54
09-08-08, 4:08 pm
yeah, I see a lot of breads that are like 50% white flour and 50% whole wheat... I only use it as a last resort haha

True dat. And then there's the "multigrain" kinds. Still the same enriched shit, just with more grains. Consumers are very naive when buying what they think to be healthy. But hey, if you need calories, and bread is a very easy readily available caloric source, then hit it up. A cal is a cal is a cal....... right?

Honestly, I find that whole wheat oat made products taste much better than the enriched/unbleached flour shit anyways.

As do I. Not sure if it's because I actually know what I'm eating is healthier though, or because it actually is...

Stumblin

simpleguy
09-09-08, 6:44 am
True dat. And then there's the "multigrain" kinds. Still the same enriched shit, just with more grains. Consumers are very naive when buying what they think to be healthy. But hey, if you need calories, and bread is a very easy readily available caloric source, then hit it up. A cal is a cal is a cal....... right?

true...for me it depends how strict I'm being on my diet... I hate saying about most foods that they are 'bad'... they have their place... after having lost my gut during my cut I get a lot of questions from my friends and relatives such as 'does rice make you fat?' or 'does beef make you fat?'... same fucking questions ... it's not a certain food that makes you fat, it's too many calories (too much of anything can make you fat)

just had to say it, I'm too annoyed with those questions lol

stumblin54
09-09-08, 1:22 pm
just had to say it, I'm too annoyed with those questions lol

Same with the old, "What should I eat to lose fat and get huge?" If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that. I'm not sure if people outside the BB world will ever get it.

Stumblin

joe-yamma
09-09-08, 2:19 pm
Whole Wheat Bread- I love it. Eat the shit out of it.

Check the ingredients though. It's gotta' be legit, none of this, white flour plus molasses crap.true, true. also, be on the lookout for HFCS

thatdude111
09-09-08, 3:17 pm
Is 'Arnold whole grain wheat bread' good for you. I doesn't have any hfcs or enriched flour in it but it does have some sugar. does anyone eat this.

http://arnold.gwbakeries.com/product.cfm/upc/7341001375

mdh84
09-09-08, 3:31 pm
While it does depend on your goals, most of the time I don't think it's a big deal. When people say you shouldn't eat bread it makes me feel the same way as when they say you shouldn't eat meat or drink milk. If we shouldn't be eating these things because they are so bad for you or whatever, how has man survived thousands of years eating bread, meat, and drinking milk? Sure, there's a different between wonder bread and whole grain wheat bread, just like theres a difference between eating a lean cut of steak and eating processed canned meat, but I think as long as the diet stays pretty clean and we work hard in the gym, the bread isn't going to hurt us.

stumblin54
09-09-08, 6:37 pm
Is 'Arnold whole grain wheat bread' good for you. I doesn't have any hfcs or enriched flour in it but it does have some sugar. does anyone eat this.

This is what we're talking about. If you have to eat bread, make sure the first ingredient on it is "100% whole wheat." This bread looks good to me man.

Stumblin

t_mh
08-17-09, 5:45 pm
There's another thread in this section which is popular called Big on a Budget, which gives tips for diet as a student. It has a section for bread. Assuming of course that one is on a bulk, is bread actually a legit training food? I love it, but it seems like empty calories.

h 3 L L b 0 y
08-17-09, 5:47 pm
wholemeal bread = complex carbs. Don't see why it wouldn't be ok? Unless you go along the route of processed food etc..

GJN5002
08-17-09, 6:25 pm
There's another thread in this section which is popular called Big on a Budget, which gives tips for diet as a student. It has a section for bread. Assuming of course that one is on a bulk, is bread actually a legit training food? I love it, but it seems like empty calories.

get 100% whole grain wheat bread and you are good to go. WHen I was in college sandwiches saves my life. I would pack up a bunch and just eat them all day long.

Pistola
08-17-09, 7:47 pm
Bread is a good staple and is quite handy to. Just make sure u pick a quality loaf. Go with a whole grain or wheat. Check the ingriedients, whole wheat flour is choice.

LegendKillerJosh
08-17-09, 8:26 pm
Sandwiches are a huge staple for anyone in school or working long hours. G-Diesel has talked about it - get your carbs and put a source of protein between them, simple enough. If you get tired of whole wheat, then pumpernickel and rye are good as well. If you want to use the bread for sandwiches, then cooked beef, chicken or meatloaf are better options than processed lunch meat. I don't like lunchmeats unless I'm in a pinch, but home-made chicken salad or roast beef make excellent sandwiches. Again, try to stick with whole wheat, pumpernickel or rye instead of shit like wonder bread.

Pistola
08-17-09, 10:41 pm
Sandwiches are a huge staple for anyone in school or working long hours. G-Diesel has talked about it - get your carbs and put a source of protein between them, simple enough. If you get tired of whole wheat, then pumpernickel and rye are good as well. If you want to use the bread for sandwiches, then cooked beef, chicken or meatloaf are better options than processed lunch meat. I don't like lunchmeats unless I'm in a pinch, but home-made chicken salad or roast beef make excellent sandwiches. Again, try to stick with whole wheat, pumpernickel or rye instead of shit like wonder bread.

You gotta admit wonder bread tastes good as hell, but like u said its shit for your body, haha.

fenix237
08-18-09, 10:22 am
good thread and post fellas! to repeat what was already said, there is a lot of deception/confusion regarding which breads are superior, and you have to be careful what you are buying.

if anyone has done the homework researching which breads are better than others-please post for everyone's benefit. there is Arnold, Pepperidge Farms, Nature's Way, Healthy Way...etc

personally, if/when i'm eating bread, i opt for the double fiber 100% whole grain

LegendKillerJosh
08-19-09, 11:18 am
You gotta admit wonder bread tastes good as hell, but like u said its shit for your body, haha.

White bread is no good, definitely. It'll bog down your system. Any bread without HFCS is probably alright.

GJN5002
08-19-09, 12:20 pm
you can eat white bread post workout, its spikes insulin more than waxy maize does.

Wasteland
08-20-09, 10:51 am
I don't know about anyone else, but I eat bread and I don't think twice about it.