PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Bench Press

musclealchemist
06-24-07, 7:34 pm
Does anyone here used or have used this before? I saw it in the 60th birthday issue of a muscle magazine (im sure you know which mag it was but i forgot). What i mean by reverse is by having your hands to were your palms are facing your head if you are laying down, ie the grip you have when you curl. I was thinking about puting it into my routine, i just wanted to see if anyone had did it before.

Liftbig21
06-24-07, 7:36 pm
Does anyone here used or have used this before? I saw it in the 60th birthday issue of a muscle magazine (im sure you know which mag it was but i forgot). What i mean by reverse is by having your hands to were your palms are facing your head if you are laying down, ie the grip you have when you curl. I was thinking about puting it into my routine, i just wanted to see if anyone had did it before.

Hey bro i haven't tried it before but heard good things...It works the middle chest and more of the triceps...Start with lightweight or on a smith to get form right then perfect it...Like i said never tried it but heard solid results.

king1
06-24-07, 8:01 pm
I started these 3 weeks ago, and do them on the smith machine. It feels really ackward and hard to hold, i wouldnt do them with a barbell without a spot for a few more weeks. It works your shoulders and triceps a lot though, and is a great change. I wouldnt do them for chest, it doesnt feel like im stretching my chest at the bottom of any rep.

TylerC
06-24-07, 8:18 pm
barbarian brothers could do something like 500 on reverse bench, despite the video showing him fail! On this site somewhere, somebody said, and it has always stuck with me, reverse bench press is the long forgotton tricep exercise that deserves a resurection. (something to that extent)

gflash77
06-24-07, 8:25 pm
I have done these before...very different exercise to say the least...works very well though.

If you do it, start LIGHT, and make sure your form and technique are correct. It is very easy to break form on this exercise. Always use a spotter to get the bar off the rack, it'll save your wrists.

bharatoza
06-24-07, 9:11 pm
It's not very comfortable and is primarily to work the triceps. I don't like them; there are way better exercises for the triceps.

Big Wides
06-25-07, 7:01 am
use them every third week, its great for hitting the long head of the tricep and the inner chest region. with the grip (close, normal, wide) i have had sucess with it being normal and wide. just do whatever feels comfortable, like what has been said here, start in a smith to get the form down correctly then move to the normal bench if you want

naturalguy
06-25-07, 8:49 am
I do them once in a while for variation

NickSP
06-25-07, 4:00 pm
I am actually not much of a fan, why risk fucking your wrists up with something so awkward when you could just do close-grip if you wanna hit tris with some heavy weight? That's my look on it anyway

Suleiman
06-25-07, 4:09 pm
i've done it more than once i find that am not comfortable with the form so i just use it as warm up because i find that it really works my tricep...

thejohnson
06-26-07, 2:23 am
I actually love these did them on sunday night with a friend. I have been doing them for about 3 months now and have seen some good new growth. He had never done them before and after we did them he also said he loved em'. To each his own i guess but i did 3x10 with 250 after a couple of warm up sets. I found that it is best not to have the spotter lift it off the rack because everytime he did i almost dropped the weight on my chest. Instead i lifted it off and he made sure i had it and it wouldn't drop. These really work the shit out of the tri's if done correctly.

Toni69
06-26-07, 2:34 am
Hmmmm, I may have to try this agin. The first time I did, it just didnt feel comfortable for me. You guys have made me decide to try again! Thanks!

herecomesTHE_PAIN
06-26-07, 1:56 pm
I've been doing these since last year and I love them.Yes it is uncomfortable at first, and yes it does take some time to get used to it.But they can be very useful and beneficial.Especially for strength.I was doing 185 for 5x5 but after a few months I went to 225 for 5x5. And now even higher.They really hit the tris hard for me.But everyone is different and they may not work as well for you.But gains arent achieved without pain or discomfort.Thats just lifting.

ghost
06-26-07, 2:48 pm
ive done them before...too hard for me to keep doing them bc of my missing fingers... :( i love them too/

spyderman4g63
06-26-07, 8:57 pm
I almost forgot about them, but I will have to throw them in later this week. Probably on my light chest/arm day. Most awkward exercise I have ever done, but I like to change up the workout as much as I can. I would always use a spotter because it is a damn job to try to get them back on the rack.

TheNaturalG
06-27-07, 1:12 am
By far my favorite and in my opinion one of the most effective if not, the most, effective tricep exercise. I would stick to doing them just on the smith machine which I think is best for them. I swear by them and would recommend this exercise to anyone.

TheNaturalG
06-27-07, 1:14 am
I am actually not much of a fan, why risk fucking your wrists up with something so awkward when you could just do close-grip if you wanna hit tris with some heavy weight? That's my look on it anyway

I think the reason people hurt there wrists on this exercise is the same reason they would on a regular grip. Alot of people let the bar bend the wrists back which should not happen. I would give yourself some time to get comfortable with these and I have no doubt you will like them.

Hollow
06-27-07, 9:33 am
By far my favorite and in my opinion one of the most effective if not, the most, effective tricep exercise. I would stick to doing them just on the smith machine which I think is best for them. I swear by them and would recommend this exercise to anyone.

I second this, using the smith machine doesn't allow your wrists to curl back making it more comfortable.

Big Pete
06-27-07, 11:11 am
My littlest brother and I just started these a few weeks ago after seeing the same 60th Anniversary issue. They definitely were awkward the first 2 times...but the key is lighter weight to get form down first…

They are a bit taxing on the wrists… and it does involve more triceps and shoulders, but after playing with finding a good grip width, I can feel the tightness the next day right down the sternum.

I found my trick to involve more of the inner chest is to push up, lock out and focus on squeezing my chest (not my traps) 2-3 seconds…then drop and repeat…

Good Luck all...

king1
06-28-07, 12:07 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCwrSFdeXyQ

the most impressive lifts ive seen recently

king1
06-28-07, 12:09 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCwrSFdeXyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvEk-jlXHiw

the most impressive lifts ive seen recently

Kmc06005
06-28-07, 12:20 am

They are great for the tri's I do em twice a week.

zambula
09-10-07, 7:45 pm
Anyone got an opinion on which would be better for size and strength -- reverse grip bench or close grip bench press?

NickSP
09-10-07, 7:51 pm
I personally don't do reverse grip, I figure why put your wrist in such an awkward position when you can just do close gip, but that's just me.

Maccabee
09-10-07, 8:51 pm
I personally don't do reverse grip, I figure why put your wrist in such an awkward position when you can just do close gip, but that's just me.

I agree bro. I feel comfortable doing CG Bench the regular way.

king1
09-10-07, 9:33 pm
Close grip is much better. but reverse grip works very well. Its reall uncomfortable for me to do with free weights but on a smith machine is one of my favorite tricep builders.

zambula
09-11-07, 12:17 pm
Thank You for the input Fellas! I can definately do more weight on CG bench, so I guess that's how I'll do it!

ChandlerXJ
09-11-07, 12:20 pm
If you can master the balance and grip of the reverse grip, your triceps should react very well to it - it is a totally different movement for them, pushing up with weights - I was repping 185 last night reverse style, once I hit 225 though it will probably be too much to keep more weight going, at least without a spotter.

Mix this with close grip and you've got a good time.

Hollow
09-11-07, 12:23 pm
The reverse grip bench press is often overlooked as an exercise that hits the chest in a different way. Though it takes some time to get use to, in can be incorporated every once in awhile. This subject was covered previously, perform a search to find more info.

Pantera52
03-07-09, 11:17 pm
anyone ever try the reverse grip bench for tri's?

ghost
03-07-09, 11:19 pm
yeah,, and you will see mixed results with it. Try it out and if it works for you, use it.

Pantera52
03-07-09, 11:21 pm
yeah,, and you will see mixed results with it. Try it out and if it works for you, use it.

I'll give it a try next arms day when i do my tri;s. should i jsut replace it with the close grip bench for next week

ghost
03-08-09, 12:42 am
I'll give it a try next arms day when i do my tri;s. should i jsut replace it with the close grip bench for next week

No, definitely not. remember, your best bet is to work with just the bar so you can get used to the grip and how it feels in your hands, go too heavy too fast, you will drop it on your chest and crack your sternum....

rocky36
03-08-09, 1:08 am
or throat,face,ribs... im guessing that would not feel to good lol

jonschmid
03-08-09, 1:25 am
Hey man,

what does your tricep workout look like now? Why the interest in this movement in particular? Just wondering.
I dont do them but im interested in what you think after you try them.

mritter3
03-08-09, 10:38 am
i have been using this movement as of late, and it is def. a different feel to it, and also a different kind of sore the next day and day after, but you must start light and get a feel for the movement check out some you tube vids of the exercise first, but i would recommend doing it.

Pantera52
03-08-09, 11:56 am
Hey man,

what does your tricep workout look like now? Why the interest in this movement in particular? Just wondering.
I dont do them but im interested in what you think after you try them.

for tri's now i'm doin
Close grip bench
Skullcrushers
Rope Pulldowns
Dips

I saw this reverse stuff on youtube, and looked interesting so i'll give it a try this week and let you know

jonschmid
03-08-09, 7:27 pm
Yea, please let us know what you think.
You do the same tri exercises i do. I also toss in dum overhead tri ext, then the tricep pulldown with a curved or straight bar with both a regular grip and reverse grip. But I definitly love the bench dips. I have my buddy toss 3 45's on my lap and do them to failure then he will take a 45 off each time i fail.
I would try those reverse grip presses but im afraid on knocking a tooth out...hehe

spanish.iron
03-08-09, 7:40 pm
I found that doing this on the smith machine with a fairly wide grip did some interesting things to my chest. I dunno...I just felt like it got worked in a way it never had before. definitely a lot of upper pec stimulation but that's just me. Try it out.

jeff00z28
03-08-09, 8:15 pm
pretty sure louie simmons does like 495

Pantera52
03-08-09, 9:34 pm
i have been using this movement as of late, and it is def. a different feel to it, and also a different kind of sore the next day and day after, but you must start light and get a feel for the movement check out some you tube vids of the exercise first, but i would recommend doing it.

hey man i was looking at some vids on it on youtube, and some people have a wide grip on it, and others had a grip like a close grip bench. Which would u prefer to you. Wide or close grip?

cogz
03-08-09, 11:07 pm
did these the other day, really hurt the wrists, but felt the tri's getting a pump, i am gonna try them on smith machine next week

theharjmann
03-09-09, 6:07 am
did these the other day, really hurt the wrists, but felt the tri's getting a pump, i am gonna try them on smith machine next week

yeah i always find with CGBP and reverse grip that it hits my triceps MUCH better when i do them at the end of the workout on a smith machine. If i start with them i need to pile on heavy weight and it hurts my wrists, elbows and hits my chest too much.

When i do it after cable work, skull crushers, dips etc i feel it much better.
but mind you that is what works for me.....Frank McGrath tends to start on CGBP and hit triceps are hyooooooooge! Find what works bro.

Pantera52
03-09-09, 5:37 pm
Yea, please let us know what you think.
You do the same tri exercises i do. I also toss in dum overhead tri ext, then the tricep pulldown with a curved or straight bar with both a regular grip and reverse grip. But I definitly love the bench dips. I have my buddy toss 3 45's on my lap and do them to failure then he will take a 45 off each time i fail.
I would try those reverse grip presses but im afraid on knocking a tooth out...hehe

alright so i did the reverse grip for the first time today. It was a great pump in the tri's and i feel a little sore in the chest too. I did more weight then expected and i'm gonna prolly have to use a smith machine next week, jsut because of the stress on the wrists. otherwise.. Great fucking pump on the tri's i reccomend it!

jonschmid
03-10-09, 11:09 am
I try it out tomarrow...thanks for the update

Littlefry
03-10-09, 12:26 pm
Its a really weird movement, I perfer to stick with CGBP when hitting my tri's. However I have a buddy who does the reverse grip with 225 for 10 easy reps, just depends on the person I guess.

jonschmid
03-10-09, 10:07 pm
yea, i agree. we are all different. missed my workout today but im goin to try it out on the smith tomarrow.

TigerAce01
03-10-09, 10:16 pm
I do them on a smith with a suicide grip with my elbows glued to my side. I am extremely strict with the movement, very slow on the negative. I've been doing them for a couple of years now, and I've found it works very well at the end of a workout with very high reps (15+). It takes a pumped tri and turns it into a waterbed. Awesome feeling.

-Ace

Seaseldiesel
08-08-09, 6:05 pm
hey guys.
i've been using the reverse bench as one of my tricep exercises preparing for football season. but as i get heavier on them, i start losing balance in the bar. sometimes i have a spotter who can level it for me.

It's not that it's too heavy. i can push the bar up after they level it for me.

would lifting straps help? or do you guys have your own methods?

lemme know. and thanks for your time.

jesse45690
08-09-09, 1:01 am
Smith machine possibly...

Mizzarler
08-09-09, 1:03 am
cg bench

Amurai
08-10-09, 4:15 am
smith

daddyg
08-10-09, 5:43 am
just remember doing it right is better than doing wrong with the heavy weight. there is viedo of a pl showing how to do the reverse (cant remember his name) that might help.good luck on the grid iron

Big Wides
08-10-09, 6:08 am
Widen your grip....it helps. Think about the squat and your football stance, where do you have more power? In close or out a little wider than normal?

CommoDick
08-10-09, 6:38 am
safest way to go is with smith machine when you're by yourself

shizz702
08-10-09, 12:02 pm
Anthony Clark, who was one of the greatest benchers ever, was famous for using the reverse grip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guceYdo6pF8

rev8ball
08-10-09, 12:38 pm
Anthony Clark, who was one of the greatest benchers ever, was famous for using the reverse grip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guceYdo6pF8

Great man and a good friend; got to spot him at a demo for kids where he rev gripped 745. His record was 805. Only thing bigger than his triceps was his heart...RIP

I'm with Wides on this. Widen your grip, and maybe lower the pounds until your balance catches up - go for where your forearms are at least parallel to your ribs. I like using something like the Football Bar; it can really help nail the triceps.

Best of luck.....