PDA

View Full Version : The Tea Thread

Shark
06-27-07, 2:47 pm
Ok,

So I did a search for teas on here and basically found nothing that is specifically tea related. I found a lot of threads where people suggested use of tea but nothing like this. So those of you who are about to go and do a huge search to try and prove me wrong, go ahead, I'll wait............... Back? Good. If I am wrong then I apologize.

Anyways, I have just started "supplementing" teas. For those who don't know, I am on a cut. I use the word "supplementing" because I actually make sure I get a certain amount of tea in my system every day. I use it for energy and could even say it has helped me in my FAT loss. Not to mention specific types of tea. For me those teas happen to be. Black, oolong(wu-long), and green tea. I usually fill my shaker cup with hot water and then let all three tea bags sit in it for about 10 minutes. After ten minutes I squeeze any excess out of the bag into the cup and then I pound it.

I usually take in exactly 5 cups of coffee when I first wake up. I do this by again using my shaker cup and mixing my protien with the coffee. I hate the taste of coffee and I cannot use any sugar or cream for it. By using the protien I kill two birds with one stone. It enhances the taste of the coffee as well as gets me my first dose of protien for the day.

But coffee can only go so far. I sometimes feel slightly peppy after the coffee but not totally. Before I hit the gym I make my tea concoction down it and away I go. Its what I call a ,"Clean rush". I feel energized and focused but with NO side effects of normal caffiene products. I am completely hyped up but there are no head aches or blurred vision. Here are the teas I drink broken down:

BLACK:

Black tea is more oxidized than the green, oolong and white varieties. All four varieties are made from leaves of Camellia sinensis. Black tea is generally stronger in flavor and contains more caffeine than the less oxidized teas. Plain black tea without sweeteners or additives contains negligible quantities of calories, protein, sodium, and fat. Some flavored tea with different herbs added may have less than 1 gram of carbohydrates. All teas from the camellia tea plant are rich in polyphenols, which are a type of antioxidant.

OOLONG:

Oolong tea is sometimes refered to as Wulong tea. Don't let this fool you. Some dudes got together and decided to try to call it WU long tea and mark it as the newest fat loss aid. So they charged people hundreds of dollars for just a months supply. Still now people are paying hundreds for WU long when in fact they are just buying OOLONG tea.

Oolong is the medium colored tea (between green and black) that is often served in Chinese restaurants.

"...These data suggest that oolong tea may promote weight loss by increasing energy expenditure [increase rate of metabolism] 10-20%." The scientists then noted that caffeine [present in tea] also is known to increase the rate. Their research was to determine how much if any, other factors in oolong tea added to the effect.

They also noted that "No consistent scientific evidence links moderate caffeine consumption to any health risks..."

They concluded their report with "It is clear that consumption of oolong tea stimulates both energy expenditure [thereby burning calories] and fat oxidation [also helpful] in normal weight men. This raises the possibility that tea consumption could have some beneficial effect on the individual's ability to maintain a lower body fat content. "

GREEN:

Now I know most of us have read time and time again about the benifits of green tea. So Basically instead of taking up tons of time and page to post the info I will just do this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea

Copy, paste and enjoy.

Conclusion:

Well basically since adding this to my supplements I have felt a lot better. I am sleeping better. My digestive tract works very well. I feel more energized and I can think more clearly at times. Drinking it hot also does wonders for my sinuses. That is just a short term effect though. I use the three tea bags in the full shaker cup twice a day. But never close to bed time. I usually do one as soon as I wake up, then another at around 3 pm. Just to make sure it doesnt interfere with my sleep.

Northman
06-27-07, 2:55 pm
Try white tea. Much like green tea, only the leaves are harvested when they are only buds. They are supposed to be an even higher source of the antioxidants and egcg than green tea contains.

Shark
06-27-07, 3:25 pm
"Another study examining the composition of brewed green and white teas found that white tea contained less catechins and epicatechins than green tea, but more gallic acid, theobromine, ECG, and caffeine, with roughly similar quantities of EGCG in both teas"

While making my mix the black tea has enough caffiene. The reason I take green if for the catechins, which the white has very little of.

WillWest
06-28-07, 5:49 am
I drink green tea a fair bit but no other coffees or teas. I was on it on my cut.
Forum - Training - Your journey - "Cut & Burn - The WillWest story"

Just wondered why you drink 5 cups of coffee in the morning?

Shark
06-28-07, 3:33 pm
I fill the pot every morning so I have coffee on hand throughout the day. It has a per cup measuring scale on the pot. When I fill my shaker up it just happens to be 5 cups of coffee.

Suleiman
06-28-07, 3:38 pm
tea huh intresting um just dont take snapple cause that shit pisses me off working at the gas station every time the new stock comes in it always breaks when i put them in the cooler i mean damn they say made from the best stuff on earth but the glass bottle is more fragile than the other glass bottled drinks i deal with

dIdDy
06-28-07, 5:21 pm
tea huh intresting um just dont take snapple cause that shit pisses me off working at the gas station every time the new stock comes in it always breaks when i put them in the cooler i mean damn they say made from the best stuff on earth but the glass bottle is more fragile than the other glass bottled drinks i deal with

good post.

i drink coffee up until about 6 hours before I go to bed and i think it really helps with my metabolism and not to mention the extra bonus of mental alertness. I love the stuff. the only known side effect that I know off is caffine causes cortisal to be released....but I think that is in cases of really high doses.

wodka
02-07-08, 11:00 am
Drinking black tea like(EARL GREY) , reduces the amount of cortisol the body makes. The less cortisol, the better testosteron does it's job. Green tea helps reducing fat.
I've the explanation in Dutch in the new M&F. But my English isn't that good to translate it all.
Greetings

G Diesel
02-07-08, 11:07 am
No doubt wodka... I've already touted my different tea blends. Earl Grey or English Breakfast mixed with green tea or before bed like a chamomile or sleepytime mixed with green tea blend. I have tea in the morning and before bed. It can be both soothing and energizing and it provides a ton of antioxidants. Peace, G

Wasteland
02-07-08, 11:10 am
Drink both green and black teas. Though both are actually from the same plant.

krazyassmexican
02-07-08, 11:12 am
i gotta start training my pinky finger to down some tea

Brute
02-07-08, 11:12 am
Drinking black tea like(EARL GREY) , reduces the amount of cortisol the body makes. The less cortisol, the better testosteron does it's job. Green tea helps reducing fat.
I've the explanation in Dutch in the new M&F. But my English isn't that good to translate it all.
Greetings

Good to know...for some reason, if I drink more than a few cups, tea makes me sick to my stomach...any ideas on that one? I drink a cup of coffee a day, so I didn't figure it was the caffeine.

Polish Prince
02-07-08, 11:42 am
does regular lipton tea have anything other then for antioxidants?

Wasteland
02-07-08, 11:44 am
does regular lipton tea have anything other then for antioxidants?

Do you mean does black tea have any other benefits, aside from antioxidants?

Rexor91
02-07-08, 11:56 am
Do you mean does black tea have any other benefits, aside from antioxidants?

I think he's askin' if regular tea, like iced tea has these beneficial properties...?

Wasteland
02-07-08, 12:01 pm
I think he's askin' if regular tea, like iced tea has these beneficial properties...?

As iced tea contains some tea, most likely. Tea contains polyphenols and other compounds which have health benefits. Aside from the antioxidants, tea consumption is linked to a reduction in heart disease, stroke and cholesterol.

Rexor91
02-07-08, 12:04 pm
As iced tea contains some tea, most likely. Tea contains polyphenols and other compounds which have health benefits. Aside from the antioxidants, tea consumption is linked to a reduction in heart disease, stroke and cholesterol.

I need to get me some more damn tea lol

Wasteland
02-07-08, 12:05 pm
I need to get me some more damn tea lol

I drink a lot of coffee and tea. For some reason, coffee never stains my teeth, but tea does.

Rexor91
02-07-08, 12:08 pm
I drink a lot of coffee and tea. For some reason, coffee never stains my teeth, but tea does.

I have to be in the mood for coffee, but I love tea... I'm gonna try G's blending method, try a couple diff. ones together

Renji007
02-07-08, 6:50 pm
My dad's got a boxload of black tea and my mom a box load of green tea. I think this is a sign that I should start taking them both now.

Though, what if you drink green tea in the morning before cardio, would that help at all? (just curious >>)

Polish Prince
02-07-08, 6:57 pm

if you put a little bit of lemon or lemon juice in there it helps prevent from staining of the teeth.

Polish Prince
02-07-08, 6:58 pm

thanks i did mean iced tea or even hott tea that u would just regular brew with a lipton tea bag.

Polish Prince
02-07-08, 7:00 pm
Greetings

is it better to drink black tea in the morning then and green tea at night?

Northman
02-07-08, 7:01 pm
One type of tea that hasn't been mentioned is white tea. It is similar to green tea in it's benefits, but contains even more antioxidants. It, again, is from the same plant, but the leaves are harvested while they are still budding.

k1usa
02-07-08, 7:14 pm
My mom was from England....and I grew up with Earl Grey since I was young.....great stuff....lemon and honey at times...nice pre bedtime drink...

JMC
02-07-08, 7:22 pm

To piggyback on that, it may go without saying for some, but like any 'commercial' drinks, watch out for the other additives. Nothing better than brewing your own, but there are plenty of "pre-made" alternatives with out crap like HFCS.

One type of tea that hasn't been mentioned is white tea. It is similar to green tea in it's benefits, but contains even more antioxidants. It, again, is from the same plant, but the leaves are harvested while they are still budding.

I just thought of the commercial with the little asian man showing the guy where white tea comes from!

Northman
02-07-08, 7:27 pm
I just thought of the commercial with the little asian man showing the guy where white tea comes from!

I haven't seen it, but that doesn't surprise me as the only tv I watch now is the odd star trek rerun.

mjsef88
02-07-08, 7:35 pm
One of my dad's co-workers is from China, and over the summer he went home and brought me back (actually smuggled) some green tea. Some of the best stuff i've ever had....which is kind of disappointing, becasue i really like green tea, but everything else tastes like garbage compaired to what he brought me. i've found a few good brands at a few asian markets. THERE is definately the place to pick up some tea.

I haven't seen it, but that doesn't surprise me as the only tv I watch now is the odd star trek rerun.

aww stiff i didn't know you were a trekkie. There would of been so much more dialogue at the DetroitABC event you came to.

Northman
02-07-08, 7:41 pm
One of my dad's co-workers is from China, and over the summer he went home and brought me back (actually smuggled) some green tea. Some of the best stuff i've ever had....which is kind of disappointing, becasue i really like green tea, but everything else tastes like garbage compaired to what he brought me. i've found a few good brands at a few asian markets. THERE is definately the place to pick up some tea.

aww stiff i didn't know you were a trekkie. There would of been so much more dialogue at the DetroitABC event you came to.

I too like tea prepared in other countries. Only the difference is I like a brand of black tea from England called "Fortnum and Mason". My favorite is the "royal blend".

I have been a fan nearly my whole life, drove my family nuts. We'll get some time to chat at the Arnold I'm sure, but I'll be wearing the Animal Shirts, not my "uniform".

mjsef88
02-07-08, 7:56 pm
I have been a fan nearly my whole life, drove my family nuts. We'll get some time to chat at the Arnold I'm sure, but I'll be wearing the Animal Shirts, not my "uniform".

I wish i could have gotten the time off of work to go. This will be one of the biggest years for the cage and i'm going to have to miss it. I've already requested the time off for next year! by the way, which "era" are you a fan of? for me it's TNG and the origionals. i really dont like any other spinoffs.

Northman
02-07-08, 7:57 pm
I wish i could have gotten the time off of work to go. This will be one of the biggest years for the cage and i'm going to have to miss it. I've already requested the time off for next year!

Oh no! You live so close too.

mjsef88
02-07-08, 8:01 pm
Oh no! You live so close too.

i know, right?! i was ready to say fuck it and skip the work, but i need those perfect, no-flaws-what-so-ever recomendation letters.

Northman
02-07-08, 8:15 pm
i know, right?! i was ready to say fuck it and skip the work, but i need those perfect, no-flaws-what-so-ever recomendation letters.

PM me if you want to talk about coming to Ontario to train. I am afraid we are hijacking this thread.

Brute Strength
02-07-08, 8:25 pm
i have 7 cups of green tea a day and im 165 and cut
i have all sorts of tea but my favorite is green, oolong, earl grey, and egyptian.

Elite
02-07-08, 8:27 pm
Anyone going to the cage and the Arnold weekend, come to me if you want a proper Cuppa!
I'll even bring Tea bags...

Northman
02-07-08, 8:34 pm
Anyone going to the cage and the Arnold weekend, come to me if you want a proper Cuppa!

I can see it now, the cage stops everything for "tea time" and we all drink out of proper cups with floral print and have crumpets and jam.

Elite
02-07-08, 8:36 pm
A bit 'Alice in Wonderland', but yes, its possible.

mjsef88
02-07-08, 8:45 pm
A bit 'Alice in Wonderland', but yes, its possible.

well hey, Universal and through that Animal have always been considered a 'classy' company....so i guess it fits to have a tea time....

Polish Prince
02-07-08, 9:28 pm

not exactly sure what that is but i'll probably take you up on it, i'm guessing a cup of tea?

TufffGuY
02-07-08, 9:52 pm
i have 7 cups of green tea a day and im 165 and cut
i have all sorts of tea but my favorite is green, oolong, earl grey, and egyptian.

holy shit man thats a lot of tea lol

G Diesel
02-07-08, 10:48 pm

Yeah ThirdEye can get his hands on the good stuff... Pour me a proper spot bro. Peace, G

norrim1
02-07-08, 10:58 pm

I've never actually had a cup of tea before. Just the sugar loaded stuff when I used to drink soda. Being as though we'll be rooming together for an evening, bring your Tea! How refined I will become drinking tea with an Englishman...haha.

Northman
02-07-08, 11:00 pm
Would you mind bringing me some of that aforementioned Fortnum and Mason stuff? Either the Queen Anne or the Royal Blend would be nice.

Elite
02-08-08, 8:23 am
not exactly sure what that is but i'll probably take you up on it, i'm guessing a cup of tea?

Yea bro, a cuppa rosey is comin your way!

Yeah ThirdEye can get his hands on the good stuff... Pour me a proper spot bro. Peace, G

G's Butler for the morning. Sure!

I've never actually had a cup of tea before. Just the sugar loaded stuff when I used to drink soda. Being as though we'll be rooming together for an evening, bring your Tea! How refined I will become drinking tea with an Englishman...haha.

There's nothing refined about drinking tea with me norrim me old mucka. More Oliver Twist, than Heirs & Graces.

Would you mind bringing me some of that aforementioned Fortnum and Mason stuff? Either the Queen Anne or the Royal Blend would be nice.

Dont drink either. I just stick to PG Tips, Tetley or Twinings. But i can get you either or both from piccadilly if you want. Bit pricey at $5 for just 25 tea bags, or you can have loose tea...
http://www.fortnumandmason.com/Fortnums-Famous-Teas,361.aspx

Northman
02-08-08, 12:08 pm
Dont drink either. I just stick to PG Tips, Tetley or Twinings. But i can get you either or both from piccadilly if you want. Bit pricey at $5 for just 25 tea bags, or you can have loose tea...
http://www.fortnumandmason.com/Fortnums-Famous-Teas,361.aspx

Luckily I can get all of those brands in Canada, except for the fortnum. Wold it be too much of a hassle to bring some loose leaf Royal Blend and Smokey Earl Grey (I'm a little curious about this one)? If it is possible, would you PM me what I owe you?

Elite
02-08-08, 12:40 pm
$5 each bro
x2 = $10.

Bit of a connosseur with the 'ol tea aren't we Stiffmeister!

1skinnyassedrunt
02-08-08, 3:17 pm
Does it have to be earl grey or herbal. My mum uses different blends from UK supermarkets, I have no problems with tea other than getting limescale at the bottom of my mug, but thats more due to kettle than tea

Elite
02-08-08, 8:57 pm
My perfect cuppa rosey!

*Filter tap water with a britta filter or use mineral water, and pour into limescale free kettle.
*Boil.
*Shake & add 1 tea bag of choice. Mine would be Twinings everyday breakfast.
*1 and a half tsp sugar or desired to taste.
*Add boiled water.
*Stir and leave the bag to brew for 3-5mins (make sure it is spinning round the mug after you stop stirring).
*Squeeze tea bag against inside of mug with teaspoon before removal.
*Stir and add desired amount of milk.
*LUVVVLY JUBBLY!!!

Never thought i'd see the day i'd type that on here!

norrim1
02-08-08, 9:01 pm
My perfect cuppa rosey!

*Filter tap water with a britta filter or use mineral water, and pour into limescale free kettle.
*Boil.
*Shake & add 1 tea bag of choice. Mine would be Twinings everyday breakfast.
*1 and a half tsp sugar or desired to taste.
*Add boiled water.
*Stir and leave the bag to brew for 3-5mins (make sure it is spinning round the mug after you stop stirring).
*Squeeze tea bag against inside of mug with teaspoon before removal.
*Stir and add desired amount of milk.
*LUVVVLY JUBBLY!!!

Never thought i'd see the day i'd type that on here!

Never thought I would see the day I'd be reading this on here....LOL. Looking forward to an "Oliver Twist" type of tea session with you...haha.

Elite
02-08-08, 9:12 pm
Anyone tried Redbush tea? Its really nutty and refreshing, caffeine free and just totally the bollocks!
http://www.redbushtea.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2

srb3189
02-08-08, 9:21 pm
I drink alot of Earl Grey Tea. Frankly, I get sick of water and enjoy the taste of some teas. I drink tons of earl grey and in the ingredients it has natural oil of bergamot. Anyone know what that is?

Also, Diet Arizona Bluebery Green Tea is a godsend.

-Steve

Northman
02-08-08, 10:06 pm
Anyone tried Redbush tea? Its really nutty and refreshing, caffeine free and just totally the bollocks!
http://www.redbushtea.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2

Of course I have! I just prefer the real stuff.

Northman
02-08-08, 10:10 pm
$5 each bro
x2 = $10.

Bit of a connosseur with the 'ol tea aren't we Stiffmeister!

The Stiffmeister does enjoy his tea. I guess my love of it dates back to the days when I wasn't allowed to drink coffee (the other national Canadian beverage, after beer). I find it very calming. I usually prefer blends including ceylon tea, but will try anything.

Chin
02-09-08, 12:17 am
Drink it 4 times a day... I've actually done research on it... has numerous health benefits because of the polyphenol or antioxidant compounds.

Chin

redmanPH
07-16-08, 10:18 am
did a search coming up with nil results.

i know tea is good and all that, but can you drink it even while cutting? cuz i heard that you're only supposed to drink water during this time... correct me if im wrong

JMC
07-16-08, 10:26 am
Are you competing? Are you getting paid to cut or to look a certain way? If so, you can follow strict guidelines such as only drinking water, etc. Otherwise, for me, I think you SHOULD be drinking tea. Green tea specifically, and even more specifically, brew your own. Some of the pre-mades on the market, you may as well be drinking diet coke with all the chemicals and preservatives. If you must go that route an absolute must is sugar free thoough IMO.

Brutus_515
07-16-08, 10:37 am
I drink diet soda until 7 weeks out of my contest....but like JMC said...Green tea is the best for you trying to cut...some fat burners have green tea extract....but most tea will be fine just stay away from my 2 favorite offseason teas....(mcdonalds sweet tea!! and long island iced tea)...all others should be fare game just dont put sugar in it

redmanPH
07-16-08, 11:36 am
ayt, thanks for the info dudes

TheDarkHalf
07-18-08, 8:06 pm
here are some green tea articles

http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm

http://dietbites.com/green-tea-for-weight-loss.html

prowrestler
07-19-08, 2:55 pm
its a good thermogenic along with hot sauce and that green shit thats really spicey that u eat with sushi. wassabi or something.

Toni69
07-19-08, 2:58 pm
nothing wrong with any sort of herbal, pure tea. Some people live off black coffee during show prep...hot tea is fine. Just dont start adding sugar and cream or milk to it during show prep.

B-rad89
10-29-09, 4:07 am
http://www.healthcastle.com/tea.shtml

Oolong Tea - http://www.teafromtaiwan.com/Health.htm
Green Tea - http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa011400a.htm
White Tea - http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chineseteaandliquor/a/whitetea.htm
Black Tea - http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa021103a.htm
Jasmine Tea - http://www.syl.com/travel/jasmineteahealthbenefits.html
Red Rooibos Tea - http://coffeetea.about.com/od/typesoftea/a/rooibos_2.htm

Just to start, I don't know of to many kinds of tea. Add on if you guys would like too.

B-rad89
10-29-09, 4:27 am
Chrysanthemum Tea - http://chinese-medicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/chrysanthemum_flower_chinese_tea
Artichoke Tea - http://www.thefoodpaper.com/features/health/artichokes.html

msktyshha
10-29-09, 8:30 am
make ur own homemade tea man. get some ginseng, ginger, green tea leaves, mint, and lemon juice and some water and make a tea out of all this. also add some honey for sweetness. this tea can really soothe out ur muscles and help regulate blood flow.

Dr.Platypus
10-29-09, 8:50 am
i love tea

Beowulf
10-29-09, 3:38 pm
Tea, coffee or pop... If it's got caffeine, I'll take a cup.

G Diesel
11-02-09, 5:35 pm
Proper British tea... PG Tips. A little fresh lemon, a little honey, a packet of Splenda. Tea is good for the body and the soul.

Peace, G

C.Coronato
11-03-09, 10:45 am
My man G and I had some rediculous Tea down in Texas at the hotel. We got laughed at a bit, but fresh fruit in Tea was awesome. I cant wait to go back simply for that tea.

G Diesel
11-04-09, 9:31 am
My man G and I had some rediculous Tea down in Texas at the hotel. We got laughed at a bit, but fresh fruit in Tea was awesome. I cant wait to go back simply for that tea.

Awww man... The best tasting beverage I've had in recent memory. Unreal.

Peace, G