PDA

View Full Version : Animal Supplements & The Military

Intimidator3
07-08-07, 1:34 am
I just went to a GNC on my base and was told that they can no longer carry Animal Pak because some troops tested positive on a urinalysis and that the military has banned it from being sold on base. Does anyone know why it would test positive? I have been taking the Pak for 2 years and love it. Fortunately for me I am retired from the Air Force.

ldskenpo
07-08-07, 2:07 am
I am in the army, i looked in both of the gnc's here on ft hood, and they both got the pak. there is nothing in animalpak that could cause a positive test. when i went into the stores, i asked the guy where they keep all the universal stuff, and he pointed to the corner saying that they arent very good, i dont normally buy from gnc but have gotten some stories from them on why i should buy their brand or the flashy one. i think the guy just told you a fib to get you to buy something that he is told to push.
Robert

Freakshow
07-08-07, 2:22 am
I am in the army, i looked in both of the gnc's here on ft hood, and they both got the pak. there is nothing in animalpak that could cause a positive test. when i went into the stores, i asked the guy where they keep all the universal stuff, and he pointed to the corner saying that they arent very good, i dont normally buy from gnc but have gotten some stories from them on why i should buy their brand or the flashy one. i think the guy just told you a fib to get you to buy something that he is told to push.
Robert

Agreed. Dont put to much stock into what you hear coming out of the mouths of GNC employees. I call BS on this for that reason, and also because as a drug tested NCAA athlete, I can say that I have never tested positive for anything while using the Pak or any other Animal supplement for that matter. I cant speak for military drug tests, but the Pak is all natural bro, nothing should make you test positive.

Intimidator3
07-08-07, 2:30 am
That is what I thought. Like I said I have been taking the Pak for 2 years and have been tested at least twice and never a problem. I hope that any other military personnel that have been told the same thing will not listen and just find the Pak somewhere else.

cajungator
07-08-07, 3:12 am
I'm here at Osan AB Korea and the GNC here caries Animal products. Matter of fact thats where I bought my pak.

Shark
07-08-07, 4:33 am
Yeah man. He was lying out of his ass.

Ft. Dix/Mcguire AFB carry pak in the GNC AND in the commisary.

I was at Ft.Meade the other day and same thing.

I know. Call me a little weird. Whenever I'm in a store that sells vitamins I check to see if they sell Pak too. Makes me smile when I see the big yellow tub sittin there all pretty like.

MDur8
07-08-07, 6:36 am
ya bro i go to the gnc at luke air force base in az and they carry animal pak, pump and M-Stak

MC-Hitman
07-08-07, 9:57 pm
How could Animalpak test positive?
It a multivitamin/mineral, Amino Acid complex essentially
What is their to test?

Sheer stupidity in my opinion

Bard of Rage
07-14-08, 1:03 pm
I'm in the airforce and am thinking of taking Animal Stak and perhaps Test eventually. Are either of these illegal in the military? I'd rather be safe than in jail.

Freakshow
07-14-08, 1:09 pm
I'm in the airforce and am thinking of taking Animal Stak and perhaps Test eventually. Are either of these illegal in the military? I'd rather be safe than in jail.

There are no prohormones or anything illegal according the to FDA, but you should print out a list of the ingredients and take them to a supervisor to double check that they are O.K. with them first.

dyskee
07-14-08, 1:13 pm
i don't think so man i think they're just test boosters

Enforcer
07-14-08, 1:17 pm

I would get a list of the ingredients in each of the products and then run them by whoever need be to make sure that they won't cause you to get in any trouble.

Mr. Dead
07-14-08, 1:21 pm
I work as a civilian at Madigan Army Medical Center, and we have to go through the same urinalysis that the active duty do, and have never had a problem... Unfortunately, if you take it to a supervisor, most have little to no knowledge of supplementation and think everything is a steroid...

Maiden69
07-14-08, 4:01 pm
I'm in the Army and also an UPL (Unit Prevention Leader) I administer urinalysis at my CO, and anything that is sold at GNC you can use. That is why there is a GNC at almost every AAFES location, to include your BX. The Army (and I assume the AF too but I might be wrong) don't test for PH, and steroids is only tested under PO (probable causes) because the test is very expensive, and the CDR have to write a letter to the BioChem stating why he wants the test to be done. Now the only problem comes if you are a pilot or part of a crew. I have a few friends that are flight WO (Warrant Officers), and they get regulated on what kind of supplements they can take while on flight status.

Bard of Rage
07-15-08, 12:53 pm
I'm neither a pilot nor part of the air crew so I should be safe from that. I wasn't too sure if they would test for steroids and what have you along with their random drug testing hence the question. Y'all did bring up some valid points though, so on the off chance someone has any questions I'll make sure to show them what's in it. Oddly enough we don't have a GNC on base but we sell products from them. I think this might be an Airforce thing since the GNC at my last base went away so the base exchange could start carrying what they did instead.

Maiden69
07-15-08, 1:14 pm
I'm buying online now, but before I did, the Ft Meade (and almost all the GNC's on PX's) give you a 10% plus if you are a Gold Card you get the 20% all month. So that is 30% off the purchase. But even with that, BB.Com prices are lower. In Germany and Korea there were GNC's too, on almost all the big posts and bases, and they still sold other products, (not GNC branded) inside.

mritter3
07-15-08, 1:16 pm
i would not think so fda hasn't banned it just a lot of boosters, but i would check with whomever is in charge.

Bombboy
07-15-08, 1:28 pm
I also am in the Air Force, when test was introduced I took the bottle to the HAWK here at DM. After a little research they cleared test and stak.

BB

dclutter1
07-16-08, 9:33 am
This is what the Health And Wellness Center sent me when I inquired about suplements towards the end of 07 . I think I was trying to get a definative answer on ephedrine at the time but it also turned into a question about test boosters. They also sent me a file (that I can't find) that listed all the prohormones and stuff, but I'm sure you already know they're a no-no. Anyway, long story short; I compared the ingredients of Stak and Test to every banned substance list I could find and they're perfectly fine.

Dietary Supplements and the Air Force Drug Abuse Testing Program
There are many commercially available dietary/herbal supplements that carry real and potential harmful side effects. All members should discuss the use of any supplement with a qualified healthcare provider. The intent of the following information is to address some of the most frequently asked questions about the safety and legality of popular substances.

Testosterone and Testosterone Derivatives (Illegal)
AFI 44-120, Drug Abuse Testing Program, 1 July 2000, para 1.8, prohibits Air Force members from ingesting anabolic steroids and the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 further prohibits use of “pro-hormone” supplements (Schedule 3 controlled substances). It is illegal to use, distribute, purchase, sell, or possess these products without a prescription. The wording “any drug or hormonal substance, chemically and pharmacologically related to testosterone” effectively captures all “pro-hormone” supplements on the market. The complete list and public law document can be accessed at http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=108_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ358.108.pdf Although DHEA (Dehydroepiandtrosterone) is specifically excluded, the Senate has initiated proceedings to have DHEA added to the list.

Hemp and Hemp Oil Products (Illegal)
AFI 44-121, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment, 26 Sep 2001, para. 3.5.5 specifically prohibits the ingestion of products containing hemp seed or hemp oil by Air Force members. Although several states allow production of low-level THC hemp crops, and several other states have similar legislation pending, at the present time AF policy is clear. Do not consume these products.

Products Containing Ephedrine Alkaloids (Banned by FDA)
Although not specifically prohibited by any AFI as of the date of this writing, keep in mind that on 14 April 2004, the FDA officially banned all sales of over-the-counter products containing ephedrine alkaloids. See the following link: http://www.fda.gov/oc/initiatives/ephedra/february2004/ Although not an inclusive list, some ingredient names that indicate the presence of ephedrine alkaloids include: Ephedra, Ma Huang, Ephedrine, Ephedra Sinica, Sida Cordifolia, Pinellia, epitonin. Common plant names that have been used for the various plants containing ephedrine alkaloids include: sea grape, yellow horse, joint fir, popotillo, and country mallow. A test for ephedrine alkaloids is not currently included during routine AF drug screening, however, the sale of such products is now illegal.
Ephedrine-free products typically include a chemical cousin of ephedrine, called synephrine (citrus aurantium). This ingredient, while legal, and not banned by any AFI at this time, can produce some of the same unsafe side effects as ephedrine. Its safety and efficacy remains largely unstudied in humans.

Poppy Seeds (Should be OK)
Per AFI 44-120, Drug Abuse Testing Program, 1 July 2000, para 18.2.7, opiates is one of the drug categories tested during screening. It is possible to ingest a sufficient amount of poppy seeds to trigger a positive screen for opiates if the test threshold is set at a low enough level (200- 300 ng/ml or lower). Higher thresholds such as the 2000 ng/ml (codeine) and 4000 ng/ml (morphine) cut-offs used by the Air Force testing program are very unlikely to be met by poppy seed ingestion as might occur from several bagels.

References
Air Force Institute for Operational Health (AFIOH): Forensic Urine Drug Testing/SDT; Brooks City-Base, San Antonio TX: verbal discussion with Dr. Mike Hlubeck.
AFI 44-120, Drug Abuse Testing Program (1 July 2000)
AFI 44-121 Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment (26 Sep 2001)

OPSNORM
06-07-09, 10:12 am
Hey guys just got some bad news. I am in the coast guard and i found out we cant take staCK or test because of the "avena sativa extract" . i am still researching and trying to get this removed. i think the military is worried becasue ofF "cannibus sativa" which would show thc in our urine. from my own research i cant even find that the 2 are related. its lame and its kinda like the " you cant use anything that has hemp in it policy.i am not too happy since your allowed to smoke which is proven killer. i guess if in doubt ask your med dept at your command. i love the animal products and hope this isnt the case but if it is i hope "animal comes out with a military friendly product.

rmeguy
06-08-09, 4:10 am
I actually just came off my bulk cycle which included 2 cans of test, and m-stack. and i had a piss test mid way thru the second can and still havnt heard anything. So im sure its ok, the only thing i know they quit selling at the px and stuff is HydroxyCut which is crap to begin with. let me know if you hear or find anything differant. Thanks.

-Ben

mark
06-08-09, 4:59 am
Do you actually have a reg on this?

This is a first heard for me in my 7years... and I never heard a DAPA ever mention this as a OTC supplement you couldn't take.

The compound at hand won't even cause you to fail a WADA drug test which is by far more stringent than any DoD drug test.

ghost
06-08-09, 7:12 am
Hey guys just got some bad news. I am in the coast guard and i found out we cant take staCK or test because of the "avena sativa extract" . i am still researching and trying to get this removed. i think the military is worried becasue ofF "cannibus sativa" which would show thc in our urine. from my own research i cant even find that the 2 are related. its lame and its kinda like the " you cant use anything that has hemp in it policy.i am not too happy since your allowed to smoke which is proven killer. i guess if in doubt ask your med dept at your command. i love the animal products and hope this isnt the case but if it is i hope "animal comes out with a military friendly product.

um..... I take stak, and test.... and have more stringent drug tests that the military. aside from ours being done by the govt, they are sent out to private labs as well bc we work with kids all day. and i have never had a test come back dirty, especially when on animal products.

rmeguy
06-08-09, 8:17 am
Yea i just got done talking to my buddy who has been using Animal for about 4 years now and we are both in the Military and on the same cycle's and we usually end up getting on the piss test at the same time and we have both been fine. Good lookin out tho. Dont be afraid to use it. I have NEVER EVER heard of anything bad coming out of piss tests and Animal.

-Ben

Aggression
06-08-09, 9:02 am

As the previous posts have said, Animal consistently sells both products to our guys overseas, and we've never heard of any problems.

Just for clarification: Only STAK uses Avena Sativa Extract. Test does not; it has a different blend of testosterone boosting agents.

Bard of Rage
06-08-09, 11:43 am
I'm not sure for all the branchesbut for the Air Force they do a wide range drug test, and will only test you for steroids/testosterone products if they believe there is sufficient cause. Though according regs I've read in the AF you can't take anything at all that increases test. I guess that means I can't eat a steak or do any big compound movements like squats/deadlifts.

CavScout1980
09-01-09, 12:29 pm
Long story short. An individual who is very uneducated in the world of supplements wants to take away all my supplements other than my whey protein. Problem is that he outranks me and if this shit gets finalized then there is nothing I can do. Right now I have Animal Pak, Animal Pump, Animal cuts, Animal M-Stack and Torrent. Without getting into too much detail there were guys in my unit who pissed hot for steroids and now everyone is up in arms over what everyone is taking. I am deployed so its not like I can keep this shit at my house or something. I almost lost my fucking mind when he said I couldn’t even take Animal Pak. This is some bullshit but there isn’t much I can do about it. Just wondering if there is anything that Animal makes that people in the service can’t take?

SailinScotty
09-01-09, 12:37 pm
As far as I know there isn't. They only thing close is Stak and I think m-stak which are banned by some associations, such as college athletics and pro sports cause they enhancers.

ghost
09-01-09, 12:45 pm
CaV, according to Command, and according to the Drug tests, NONE of our supplements are illegal in the US branches. for other nations military branch, your best bet is to contact your CO.

CavScout1980
09-01-09, 2:13 pm
Thanks fellas. Guess it is just time to wait and see what happens. I will let you know what I find out.

adidas
09-01-09, 2:23 pm
if they bann any amino-acids, caffienne or creatine...tell them they need to also remove ALL of the meats/protein sources and coffee/tea/soda form the chow hall as well.

J-Dawg
09-01-09, 3:41 pm
Long story short. An individual who is very uneducated in the world of supplements wants to take away all my supplements other than my whey protein. Problem is that he outranks me and if this shit gets finalized then there is nothing I can do. Right now I have Animal Pak, Animal Pump, Animal cuts, Animal M-Stack and Torrent. Without getting into too much detail there were guys in my unit who pissed hot for steroids and now everyone is up in arms over what everyone is taking. I am deployed so its not like I can keep this shit at my house or something. I almost lost my fucking mind when he said I couldn’t even take Animal Pak. This is some bullshit but there isn’t much I can do about it. Just wondering if there is anything that Animal makes that people in the service can’t take?

If he has any concerns, please ask him to contact us at 1-800-872-0101. We would gladly explain the supplements to him. And thanks for your service to our great nation bro.

Altered Beast
09-01-09, 3:47 pm
He won't remove your supps. It's a common reaction when something like that happens. Keep in mind that he has to cover his ass and is not thinking about anyone but himself. Sounds like he is trying to make himself look good by over-investigating the situation.

Hang in there!

CavScout1980
09-01-09, 4:16 pm
Thanks for the number J-Dawg. I am not so sure he will be willing to suck up his ego and make that call but it is nice to have just in case. Right now I am just keeping my mouth shut and hoping it blows over. adidamps2 and panterA you both hit the nail on the head but not everyone thinks the same way Animals do. I know I am not doing shit wrong so that is what matters the most to me.

Enforcer
09-01-09, 6:27 pm

Sounds like a bunch of b.s to me bro. All Animal products are 100% natural products. Shit I have been using Animal products for the past 7 or so years and have had multiple drug tests for collegiate sports and for my job I have today and nothing ever showed up for me. Worst comes to worst bro just get a list of all the shit that is banned, look over the products you want to take and just double check to make sure nothing in there would cause you to fail your test. But like I said bro I dont see a problem.

mnmvilla2002
09-01-09, 6:43 pm
Yo Cav! I would go to the local TMC or CSH and ask the staff there. Those would be the people who would know which if any products were banned not some Sgt. trying to save face. Keep doing what you are doing bro.

Ragnar13
09-14-09, 1:25 pm
Hey man, Animal products are not on any banned list that I am aware of. Now, there is always the concern with Cuts (do to the overreaction of the fat burner scares) but as long as the personstays hydrated, no worries. And what Animal doesn't stay hydrated????

Anyway, your supervisor can not legally confiscate anything. If your problem is still on going, talk it up your chain. If that gets you now where....go see the IG.

Keep training!

jrh0341
08-12-10, 10:08 am

You are correct in that the two are not even remotely related. I'd hope your command wouldn't be so uppity as to freak over a name, (though it wouldn't be unheard of). This might help your argument. the "sativa" is just a scientific word for extract. Its literally latin for "cultivate". So cannabis sative = cultivated from cannabis (and we know what cannabis means... ). Avena sativa obviously = cultivated from avena. Avena = OAT. Yup. Plain old oat. Now, its gotta be processed of course. No, you can't just start pounding outmeal and get a test boost.

Point is, if the "sativa" in avena sativa is actually bothering your command, give them a little word origin lesson and tell them to relax.

As for test boosters in general, I know over here on the Okinawa Marine Corps bases the base gyms stock Tboosters. I havent seen stak or test yet (which is funny since they do have pak) but I've seen two other (less effective) competitors on the shelf. I'm actually hitting the PX tomorrow to see if they have stak. I want to try it out an I'm hoping I can avoid the wait getting it mailed out here.

blaine
08-15-10, 2:32 am
im in the coast guard and no problems with animal products so far. i also talk to my HS (health services tech) he lifts and he says its all good.