PDA

View Full Version : Should I eat ramen noodles?

Everyonedoes
07-09-07, 3:39 pm
Nutrition facts total fat 14g
saturated fat 7g
sodium 1520mg(seems very high)
Carbs 54g
fiber 4g
protein 10g
Ok that dosnt seem so bad to me if you throw a can of tuna on it you have good bit of carbs and some fat and protein. Now here is where my question comes Enriched flour? bad right? ascorbyl palmitate? what is that? There are a few other things that dont look very good in it aswell? But for someone is broke(this winter i may not have much money) How bad would it be for me to eat a package of this once a day? say for lunch along with a can of tuna.

krazyassmexican
07-09-07, 3:42 pm
does it have any starches or whatever the fuckin name is? hahaha
u know

Everyonedoes
07-09-07, 3:46 pm
I dont think it does just the enriched flour plus the seasoning packet it has things like potassium carbonate and sodium carbonate in it... I was always told if you cant read it or have no idea what it is you raelly shouldnt eat it.

krazyassmexican
07-09-07, 3:52 pm
i think that's bad enuff
just the enriched flour

BeastFromMiddleEast
07-09-07, 3:55 pm
saturated fat 7g
Carbs 54g
fiber 4g
protein 10g
Ok that dosnt seem so bad to me if you throw a can of tuna on it you have good bit of carbs and some fat and protein. Now here is where my question comes Enriched flour? bad right? ascorbyl palmitate? what is that? There are a few other things that dont look very good in it aswell? But for someone is broke(this winter i may not have much money) How bad would it be for me to eat a package of this once a day? say for lunch along with a can of tuna.

Top Ramen noodles are probably the worst carbohydrate source you can pick. I would advise to cook your own Brown Rice and pack that with Tuna, and you will have a better meal.

krazyassmexican
07-09-07, 3:56 pm
thanks a lot bro it's good to know
Top Ramen noodles are probably the worst carbohydrate source you can pick. I would advise to cook your own Brown Rice and pack that with Tuna, and you will have a better meal.

niladmirari88
07-09-07, 3:57 pm
Bad carbs, too much saturated fat, too much salt. I'd stay away from it. Maybe have it once in a while.

Cstlfx
07-09-07, 4:13 pm
Also, I think they may be for only half of the package. Just the salt content alone is enough to keep me away from the stuff.

Punisher
07-09-07, 4:39 pm
i dont think they are soo bad for bulking, you gotta use what you have access to

Joker-Roo
07-09-07, 5:32 pm
My Bulk is the see-food diet.(Old joke but ya) I see the food I eat it. I have great knowledge on my food. Just if I eat more I make sure my body gets w/e it needs.

Kinda of like the arguement over how much protein the body can handle in a day.

Woudn't you rather have just alittle to much than not getting it all?

Eat that shit!

Andru

dIdDy
07-09-07, 8:29 pm
If You Are Broke Buy A 3 Lb Bag Of Brown Rice, Tuna, And Mrs Dash......50 Bucks A Month Tops

Liftbig21
07-09-07, 8:45 pm
I dont think it would be a bad thing for bulking like another brother has said...Just watch the broth because thats where the sodium will end up..If your low on cash id buy some but just dont go crazy,they are nice and cheap but just watch yourself thats all...Like the brother above me said brown rice tuna are nice and cheap.Buy some chicken in bulk so it lasts thats what i do and ground beef ( 93% lean 7% Fat) its cheap..If your bulking a good snack is Oatmeal cookies with some peanut butter...Waffles with pnut butter is my newest favorite snack...Maybe a little cheat but Pudding with protein powder mixed in is good too...But only for cheat day!!

jonsbsn
07-10-07, 1:43 am
Ramen has a whole lot of carbs but so does a big slice of chocolate cake... that doesn't mean I'm gonna eat it

slow digesting carbs is the key... it's been said before: Brown rice, sweet potato, OATS, wheat bread.... Ramen sucks and that sodium is going to give you so much subQ water.

violator
07-10-07, 6:49 am
high sodium content = high blood pressure = shit
refined flour = shit
saturated fats = shit
therefore, ramen noodles = shit

like the gents said, stick to good carbs like brown rice. Waxy maize starch makes for a good addition to a PWO shake, fast absorbtion & cheap in bulk from the local online health store.

peace

J-Dawg
07-10-07, 6:55 am
saturated fat 7g
Carbs 54g
fiber 4g
protein 10g

Hey bro, strictly looking at the macronutrient content it doesn't seem so bad, however, you really don't need processed shit like ramen noodles. Like dIdDy and others pointed out, there are other, affordable, yet much healthier alternatives that you can use as carb sources-- bags of rice are quite inexpensive and provide you with many more servings per dollar than the noodles. Heck, you can even buy a bag of potatoes for cheaper than the noodles, so even if money is tight, remember, there are always better, healthier alternatives out there.

Everyonedoes
07-10-07, 10:11 am
Ya ill try the brown rice this winter. I suck at cooking thats one reason i was thinking about the ramen noodles.

Nulllogik
07-10-07, 11:16 am
Ya ill try the brown rice this winter. I suck at cooking thats one reason i was thinking about the ramen noodles.

The best thing you can do is learn to cook. Pays off greatly in the end.

HardcoreB52
07-10-07, 1:51 pm
Yes ramen noodles are shit...pure shit. Just eat 2 packs and see how you feel, I know I felt like shit. All that sodium no way. Stick to Barilla protein plus pasta to add to veggies and soy sauce.

Punisher
07-10-07, 2:17 pm
im eating some with tuna right now ...they are not my first choice for carbs but not badd

Preston
07-10-07, 2:46 pm
saturated fat 7g
Carbs 54g
fiber 4g
protein 10g

if its all you have, eat up bro.

dIdDy
07-10-07, 4:11 pm
The best thing you can do is learn to cook. Pays off greatly in the end.

agreed 100%. being able to cook is a must if you want to eat right. your mommy wont always be there...

Shark
07-10-07, 4:17 pm
Yes ramen noodles are shit...pure shit. Just eat 2 packs and see how you feel, I know I felt like shit. All that sodium no way. Stick to Barilla protein plus pasta to add to veggies and soy sauce.

lol When I was in college ramen was all I could eat sometimes. Your right. I always felt like garbage after I ate it. Now whenever I smell the crap I feel like chucking.

pdiesel
07-11-07, 10:33 am
it's processed shit with WAY too much salt..BUT heres what you can do..take half or less of the seasoning pack and put in on the noodles..then mix the noodles in a salad with big portions of chicken..finally drink a glass of water during your meal and one after..not only will your hunger be satisfied, but the extra water will help soak up and break down all that salt and you wont feel as dehydrated..

Macrobolic
07-12-07, 12:09 pm
i dont think they are soo bad for bulking, you gotta use what you have access to

X2

big3434
06-15-10, 10:24 am
are the noodles in the Ramen packs good to eat with out the season pack. i add 1 or 2 chicken breast diced up for a cheap meal with about 30-35 grams protien and 30-40 carbs. just wondering or do i need to stick to whole grain pasta. thanks

Brick By Brick
06-15-10, 10:32 am
Ramen is delicious. Do whatever you have to do based on your dietary requirements as of now.

G Diesel
06-15-10, 10:38 am
are the noodles in the Ramen packs good to eat with out the season pack. i add 1 or 2 chicken breast diced up for a cheap meal with about 30-35 grams protien and 30-40 carbs. just wondering or do i need to stick to whole grain pasta. thanks

I ate a similar meal all the time in college. It is cheap and it has what you need, but of course could be far better from a nutrition standpoint.

That said, if you go to the supermarket and buy what is on sale, you can get a box of high quality pasta (even the whole grain stuff) that will yield several much more nutritious servings for $1.00 to $1.50.

I've often said that eating "clean" isn't all that expensive. For example, for $20 I can generally buy...

1 dozen eggs
3 cans of tuna
1 jug of oats
1 gallon water
1 gallon milk
1 box pasta
1 2 liter diet soda
1 bundle bananas
1 lb boneless chicken breast

Peace, G

Optimus Prime
06-15-10, 10:49 am
i loves ramen.iz their to much salt and msg tho??

rockyIV
06-15-10, 3:59 pm

You don't have to be a master chef just be able to grill some chicken and find a decent rice recipe. I bought a rice cooker to take the work out of it. It's bland but it's fuel.

AntoineV
06-15-10, 11:49 pm
The really bad thing is the high ammount of fats and saturated fats combined with fast digesting modified carbs... along with 2 grams of salt.

If you are low on money I'd suggest pasta as carbs... and if you like ramen noodles you should check the unflavored ones based out of eggs.... they dont have fat. Add some green onion and low sodium soya sauce with your chicken/tuna and it should ressemble to a healthier ramen soup.

Joseph V
06-16-10, 1:03 am
I ate a similar meal all the time in college. It is cheap and it has what you need, but of course could be far better from a nutrition standpoint.

That said, if you go to the supermarket and buy what is on sale, you can get a box of high quality pasta (even the whole grain stuff) that will yield several much more nutritious servings for $1.00 to $1.50.

I've often said that eating "clean" isn't all that expensive. For example, for $20 I can generally buy...

1 dozen eggs
3 cans of tuna
1 jug of oats
1 gallon water
1 gallon milk
1 box pasta
1 2 liter diet soda
1 bundle bananas
1 lb boneless chicken breast

Peace, G

sounds good G DIESEL..but on a typical week..how much and at the quantity can a person such as myself buy?

C.Coronato
06-16-10, 9:25 am
sounds good G DIESEL..but on a typical week..how much and at the quantity can a person such as myself buy?

Thats up to each person. I usually buy 15 lbs or chicken or so at once. Plus sweet potatoes and 7 dozen eggs. I have a huge box of Oatmeal that i buy from BJs that has 100+ servings in it, so that lasts me a while. I usually cook in Sunday and im pretty good for the week. Occasionally ill split it up and cook Sunday/Wednesday so the food is fresh, it all depends on how busy i am that week.

Optimus Prime
06-16-10, 9:34 am
The really bad thing is the high ammount of fats and saturated fats combined with fast digesting modified carbs... along with 2 grams of salt.

If you are low on money I'd suggest pasta as carbs... and if you like ramen noodles you should check the unflavored ones based out of eggs.... they dont have fat. Add some green onion and low sodium soya sauce with your chicken/tuna and it should ressemble to a healthier ramen soup.

thnx bro. that iz a lot of salt.didnt think about the carbs that way..