PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Tobacco

ShaqFu
07-13-07, 6:42 pm
Sup fellas, starting my senior year of high school i chewed tobacco. As I went through football, hockey and rugby season, while chewing tobacco I got pretty cut even after i stopped playing sports after my senior year. I got the feeling that the tobacco had a positive effect on my getting more cut since I was able to maintain my physique after sports. Obviously I don't need to hear that this shit causes cancer, blah blah blah, i know it does, that is why i quit, but i was wondering if you guys ever heard of any of the effects of chew on metabolism and overall bodybuilding nutrition. Thank guys,
ShaqFu

gsb239
07-13-07, 8:07 pm
I know Marcus Ruhl smokes cigarettes precontest to get more cut. I think it has to do with tobacco diminishing appetite. I still wouldn't risk it, I definitely don't think its worth it.

MetalAsh12
07-13-07, 8:27 pm
Besides having to remove the lower jaw...na, no side effects.

ShaqFu
07-13-07, 8:30 pm
hahaha, thanks for that brotha, yea i was just curious what you guys thought when it came to its effect on bodybuilding, not just the fact that my mouth will fall off in 25 years

LHS Monster
07-13-07, 8:43 pm
well i kno i cant eat with a dip in so that may be why.... but also ive been told that nicotine is a stimulant causing a decrease in appetite and speeds the metabolism

Molasses
07-13-07, 10:40 pm
well i kno i cant eat with a dip in so that may be why.... but also ive been told that nicotine is a stimulant causing a decrease in appetite and speeds the metabolism

Very true, it speeds the metabolism and reduces hunger. I've heard of people chewing nicotine gum pre-contest with an eca stack. Not so sure i'd do it tho.

Italianmuscle08
05-06-08, 5:11 pm
i know smoking and everything sets back gains for sure but i was wondering if there is anything in dip that can also set back your gains. this may be a dumb question but yea i was just wondering

The Prodigy
05-06-08, 5:14 pm
i think gum cancer may inhibit some potential growth. if you don't have your teeth, how can you eat big??

Liftbig21
05-06-08, 5:16 pm
We don't talk about tabacco here.Chewing tabacco has the same risks as other tabacco products....Anything of this nature is counter productive to what we're about here...Send it off to the bullshit section.

mjsef88
05-06-08, 5:20 pm
We don't talk about tabacco here.Chewing tabacco has the same risks as other tabacco products....Anything of this nature is counter productive to what we're about here...Send it off to the bullshit section.

not necessarily. Too often i've seen everyone up in arms about tobacco/alcohol.

Rather than dismiss the thread (ok, i know there have been threads before), can anyone answer his question?

Yes, you're still getting the nicotine from dip. Yes, it has been linked to mouth cancer. Is it as harmful as smoking? maybe. No, your lungs won't be as effected as the smoke, but it's still bad for you.

So, is it going to effect short term gains? most likely not.
So, it it going to effect long term gains? most likely.

Testpolska
05-06-08, 5:23 pm
Just my opinion but tabacco is bad for you yes. But does it honestly hinder your gains? Personally I'm no long distance runner nor an endurance athlete of any kind. So is smoking bad for bodybuilding? Mabye. Would it be bad for an endurance athlete? Yes.

I am a bodybuilder. I'm here to build muscle and burn fat when nessacary. I'm not here to run a marathon.

TylerC
05-06-08, 5:28 pm
2 of the biggest guys I know chew tobacco almost daily

and yes they're both bodybuilders

one is around 215 with 21 inch arms (im 235 and he dwarfs me, ive worked out with him), and he's won several tophies from competing

other is around 240 (i assume), and he's also a very strong guy

Italianmuscle08
05-06-08, 5:31 pm
thanks guys im kicking the tin now anyways. Not as difficult as i expected and when it gets tough the iron always fucks me up good. sunflower seeds help to lol

LHS Monster
05-06-08, 5:34 pm
im not defending it by any means but if smoking is so bad then why does lee priest smoke when hes on a cut? nicotine is known as a potent fat burner

mjsef88
05-06-08, 5:39 pm
im not defending it by any means but if smoking is so bad then why does lee priest smoke when hes on a cut? nicotine is known as a potent fat burner

The nicotine curbs food cravings. While that may seem like a good idea, the pros are DEFINATELY outweighed by the cons.

Markus Ruhl also smoked on a cut. And...well....when guys of that calibur decide to do something like that, then...well...i dont know what to tell you. There really isn't a good way of wording it.

InkdMuscle
05-06-08, 5:43 pm
IMO any tobacco products are bad for you. So why put anythign bad in your body when you are striving to become more healthy more fit, more ripped, more muscular is beyond me. I would say right on for kicking the dip. just focus on lifting bro.

DreamZero
05-06-08, 5:51 pm
thanks guys im kicking the tin now anyways. Not as difficult as i expected and when it gets tough the iron always fucks me up good. sunflower seeds help to lol

Prolly the second best decision you'll ever take, next to start lifting weights. Good luck ditching it, we're all behind you.

mjsef88
05-06-08, 6:08 pm

Ok, he's kicking the habit. We ALL now know that it's harmful. We dont need anyone elses new opinion. And like DreamZero said, We're all behind you!

Thread was successful, and now needs to close.

Italianmuscle08
05-06-08, 6:39 pm
thanks guys i appreciate it

Torque757
05-06-08, 8:34 pm
Ok, he's kicking the habit. We ALL now know that it's harmful. We dont need anyone elses new opinion. And like DreamZero said, We're all behind you!

Thread was successful, and now needs to close.

Are you kidding me? Thats what over half the threads here are made of... Everyones almost identical opinion restated in different ways with their own personal cliche favorites.

If all threads were closed for the reason you want to close this one... well, there wouldnt be near as much to read...

BTW, Chewing tobacco and dip are NOT the same thing... and they do NOT pose the same health risks(you do not get emphasema from dipping) as smoking tobacco.

The Young One
05-06-08, 8:54 pm
any advice to help quit?? ( im not a weak minded pussy, ive just been trying to quit for like 6 months and can never fucking do it)

Italianmuscle08
05-06-08, 8:56 pm
Are you kidding me? Thats what over half the threads here are made of... Everyones almost identical opinion restated in different ways with their own personal cliche favorites.

If all threads were closed for the reason you want to close this one... well, there wouldnt be near as much to read...

BTW, Chewing tobacco and dip are NOT the same thing... and they do NOT pose the same health risks(you do not get emphasema from dipping) as smoking tobacco.

health wise, what is the difference between dip and chewing tobacco

pmug0000
05-06-08, 8:57 pm
any advice to help quit?? ( im not a weak minded pussy, ive just been trying to quit for like 6 months and can never fucking do it)

Stop buying it.

I know it sounds like I'm being a smart ass, but that's how I stopped smoking. I had been smoking since I was 13, and about 8 months ago I decided to just not buy cigarettes any more. And I haven't. Spend all your money on food. It's that easy.

SQUAT or DIE!
05-06-08, 8:57 pm

GUM helps alot... i used to chew tons of gum when i couldnt dip.. i quit for a while then i had some problems so i started again.. but gum also has sugar in it so if your cutting it may not be the best option

The Young One
05-06-08, 8:59 pm
Stop buying it.

I know it sounds like I'm being a smart ass, but that's how I stopped smoking. I had been smoking since I was 13, and about 8 months ago I decided to just not buy cigarettes any more. And I haven't. Spend all your money on food. It's that easy.

I have, just alot of my fuckin friends throw it in my face.. im bout to juss tell them to fuck off and do my own thing for a while

pmug0000
05-06-08, 9:02 pm
I have, just alot of my fuckin friends throw it in my face.. im bout to juss tell them to fuck off and do my own thing for a while

Damn bro some kind of friends you have. Luckily for me, once I got to college everyone who lived on the same floor as me didn't smoke, so that made quitting a lot easier.
Just tell your friends what's up, and if they really make it that tough for you to quit then you might want to rethink your choice of friends.

LHS Monster
05-06-08, 9:03 pm
TO HELP QUIT

JOLLY RANCHERS are the bomb tuck one of those bad boys down in your lip and just juice it like a pinch of dip thats wat im doing... also dont quit cold turkey just start to lower your amount of pinches until you ween yourself off of it .... its the oral fixation that is the worst part... such as i always had one in when i drive and its a habit its breaking the habit of just throwing one in after doing such things like eating or lifting... im down to one dip a day now from about 3/4 a can a day and im actually enjoying my dip now lol but im almost off of it four more days at one a day and then i try to quit for good... also ive been rubbing for a little over four years now, i started at the beginning of freshmen year and im a senior now almost quit so just keep it away from you if you dont need it and hit your buddies in the nuts when tehy wont leave you alone until you put one in and good luck

The Young One
05-06-08, 9:12 pm
yeah i think ill juss do my own thing without my friends for awhile

DreamZero
05-06-08, 9:13 pm
Don't try.. do it. You are addicted to tobacco.. dominated by a freakin plant.. Overcome, grow out of it stronger.. if your mind can resist it, your body will follow. It's like staying away from mcdonalds and dairy queen, even if you can taste it from afar and droll when you smell frying oil.. Stay strong and keep your eyes on the prize.
Good luck bro

The Young One
05-06-08, 9:14 pm
TO HELP QUIT

JOLLY RANCHERS are the bomb tuck one of those bad boys down in your lip and just juice it like a pinch of dip thats wat im doing... also dont quit cold turkey just start to lower your amount of pinches until you ween yourself off of it .... its the oral fixation that is the worst part... such as i always had one in when i drive and its a habit its breaking the habit of just throwing one in after doing such things like eating or lifting... im down to one dip a day now from about 3/4 a can a day and im actually enjoying my dip now lol but im almost off of it four more days at one a day and then i try to quit for good... also ive been rubbing for a little over four years now, i started at the beginning of freshmen year and im a senior now almost quit so just keep it away from you if you dont need it and hit your buddies in the nuts when tehy wont leave you alone until you put one in and good luck

Damn imma use some of those methods..dude we do the same things, dippn after eatn, weightiliftn, n drivin.. i have been cuttn down my pinches.. thanks for the support

LHS Monster
05-06-08, 9:16 pm

do what i do if they try to throw it in your face throw it back and hit them in the nuts with it ... trust me after a few times theyll stop

The Young One
05-06-08, 9:20 pm
do what i do if they try to throw it in your face throw it back and hit them in the nuts with it ... trust me after a few times theyll stop

hell yeah..this thread couldnt have been at a better time.. ive been trying to quit this past week

LHS Monster
05-06-08, 9:24 pm
stay strong bro its rough ill be the first to tell you simply but if you get some vag. on your hands usually they dont like it so my soon to be girl (after i quit for a week she says she will date me lol) is actually a big help... met her at the gym of all places so she dont bitch about me lifting .... so really its poon or cope and tho its a tough choice i chose poon lol sorry to any of the ladies for my crued views lol but its the truth

SQUAT or DIE!
05-06-08, 9:33 pm
stay strong bro its rough ill be the first to tell you simply but if you get some vag. on your hands usually they dont like it so my soon to be girl (after i quit for a week she says she will date me lol) is actually a big help... met her at the gym of all places so she dont bitch about me lifting .... so really its poon or cope and tho its a tough choice i chose poon lol sorry to any of the ladies for my crued views lol but its the truth

couldnt have said that any better...

Northman
05-06-08, 9:54 pm
Read the following study...

http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/148/10/4676

If smoking tobacco can have such effects on ones endocrine system (which would have obvious negative effects on ones physique), I wouldn't want to risk chewing tobacco either.

I would also like to add that you should ask your friends and family for support in your efforts to quit. Make it a team effort so that they don't feel like you are shunning them or putting yourself above them by trying to quit.

Testpolska
06-05-08, 11:20 pm
Nicotine coupled along with caffine is an effective tool for dieting. Not only do these compounds speed heart rate and raise body temp. They also surpress hunger. Obvisously I'm not saying smoke. But I am just pointing out some facts. Some bodybuilders use nicotine patches during dieting for the above reasons. But the cancer that can be caused by smoking is definitely not worth it.

Take the info for what you will, I'm just passing it along.

PS Yes I'm a smoker can't you tell? Haha.

Carpe Diem P.T
06-06-08, 12:10 am
Stop buying it.

much the same way u stop eating so much

'put down the fork'

Brutus_515
06-06-08, 9:28 am
I dip during my diet...it keeps me from chewing my arm off...copenhagen probably isnt the best thing for me but neither is losing 60lbs in 22 weeks...and gaining it back in 1/2 that time....both have negative effects on your heart...(since it goes through your lip into your bloodstream)...and I think tanning beds give cancer as well and microwaves (that one is my assumptoin no science to it yet) but reguarless I am going to what i want..but thats just me... i still manage to lift and do cardio lose weight and look good..i brush my teeth and chew gum after lippers to make sure it doesnt look like i just got done eatting chocolate cake too...and my teeth are pretty and white....

is it for you??? thats for you to decide..we all make our own decisions in life?...would i start if i didnt already probably not...am i going to quit yeah right before contest (3 weeks out) will I start back?...probably

if you decide to stop good on you!...if not thats cool too let me get a pinch off you next time i see you!

Mr. Dead
06-06-08, 1:40 pm

Some people have suggested getting a doc to prescribe chantrix... Normally it's used for smoking, but some people have had some success with it... Quitting dipping is a bit harder than smoking, due to the fact that you get 10x the amount of nicotine that a smoker gets... Myself, personally, I had some succes with acupuncture... Just some thoughts...

joe-yamma
06-06-08, 2:04 pm
first off, to the guys in the beginning of this thread who ahd the knee-jerk reaction to just close it or move it to bs asap... RELAX.
it is very beneficial to have some of these conversations as long as posts are thoughful and insightful and things are kept civil.

with that being said, in my opinion, chewing tobacco doesn't fit well with our overall healthy lifestyle. i can also see the flip-side...
(rapid weight gain or loss, some supplements, me housing 2 whoppers with cheese, etc)

i think it is the lesser-of-two evils when compared to smoking, but nicotine is a serious drug and should not be under-estimated.

i personally could never be "addicted" to anything (except maybe softball chicks, but that's anohter story).

props to the guys who stepped up in here to talk about ways in which they're trying to quit or have quit.
friends have told me that sunflower seeds, beef jerky, gum, nicotine gum or patches, etc has helped them

here's some general info on the subject with references to studies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipping_tobacco

killyouintheface
06-06-08, 10:54 pm
Stop buying it.

I finally quit smoking by getting a prescription for Chantix and finding things to do (quitting smoking was my impetus to begin lifting weights) that would occupy my mind instead of worrying about smoking.

It sucks, but it can be done, and you'll be able to learn something about yourself and how powerful your will can be.

born0withno0soul
06-06-08, 10:57 pm
first off, to the guys in the beginning of this thread who ahd the knee-jerk reaction to just close it or move it to bs asap... RELAX.
it is very beneficial to have some of these conversations as long as posts are thoughful and insightful and things are kept civil.

with that being said, in my opinion, chewing tobacco doesn't fit well with our overall healthy lifestyle. i can also see the flip-side...
(rapid weight gain or loss, some supplements, me housing 2 whoppers with cheese, etc)

i think it is the lesser-of-two evils when compared to smoking, but nicotine is a serious drug and should not be under-estimated.

i personally could never be "addicted" to anything (except maybe softball chicks, but that's anohter story).

props to the guys who stepped up in here to talk about ways in which they're trying to quit or have quit.
friends have told me that sunflower seeds, beef jerky, gum, nicotine gum or patches, etc has helped them

here's some general info on the subject with references to studies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipping_tobacco

i like the way you think bro. i get sick of hearing people wish they were watchmen and pretend they are superior or have superior posts. to move on, this is a serious topic. and you are right nicotine or anything that causes an addiction should not be underestimated

born0withno0soul
06-06-08, 10:59 pm
also, addictions are for the weak minded. anyone canstop smoking if they really want to. you cant be wanting to quit for someone else other than yourself. but if you are metally strong and really want it, you dont need all that bullshit gum and medications. i smoked 6 years

TunnelVision338
06-06-08, 11:01 pm
I'm really trying to cut down hard before I leave for college in September. I've been using sunflower seeds as a replacement. The oral fixation is the hardest part for me, so I usually chew on a straw or something. I'm down to 2 pinches a day now. Good luck with it bro, I've been dipping kodiak for 3 years and I think it's been long enough.

jarhead316
06-06-08, 11:04 pm
Just my opinion but tabacco is bad for you yes. But does it honestly hinder your gains? Personally I'm no long distance runner nor an endurance athlete of any kind. So is smoking bad for bodybuilding? Mabye. Would it be bad for an endurance athlete? Yes.

I am a bodybuilder. I'm here to build muscle and burn fat when nessacary. I'm not here to run a marathon.

When you do any physical activity your body needs oxygen, thus passing through your lungs...so the answer is YES for both. Ever hear of VO2 Max?

jeff00z28
06-06-08, 11:12 pm
every1 in my family seems to die either because of smoking or drinking. many of them were bitter when they died slow depressing deaths so i usually pass on both. but from what ive read on other forums it prolly wont affect gains. i personally like to run, bike, a little bit of mma training, etc in addition to just powerlifting and bbing

Testpolska
06-08-08, 12:23 am
When you do any physical activity your body needs oxygen, thus passing through your lungs...so the answer is YES for both. Ever hear of VO2 Max?

Yep. But sorry brotha, I'm not endurance athlete nor track runner. I get through my workouts just fine. I am a bodybuilder...My goal is to build muscle and to burn fat when needed by any means nessacary. Who said bodybuilding was healthy anyway?

The Prodigy
11-16-09, 1:03 am
hey guys...is dipping (as in chewing tabacco) harmful to any anabolic or even cardiovascular gains....

serious question

g_mau18
11-16-09, 2:12 am
dude I have been dipping Since high school and Ive made serious gains, as in 50 pounds of lean muscle in 4 years, copenhagen originals my favorite

GJN5002
11-16-09, 10:39 am
hey guys...is dipping (as in chewing tabacco) harmful to any anabolic or even cardiovascular gains....

serious question

anabolic, I dont know, Im sure it is in some way
cardio, yes for sure. it restricts the blood flow in the body so I'm sure that has an effet on gaining muscle as well.

I smoked for 3 years then switched to chewing as a dumb way to quit smoking. Ive basically quit chewing the last year. I still have one every once in a while when Im out fishing or hunting.

msktyshha
11-16-09, 12:07 pm
You might not see anything short term but you sure will long term. Some pros smoke or chew tobacco and are still big and strong, but that doesn't justify the use of tobacco. put it this way, there chewing or smoking tobacco and are still big and strong, but if they didn't chew or smoke, they would've been bigger and stronger.

My aunt chews tobacco and she got mouth cancer.

Beowulf
11-16-09, 12:08 pm
dude I have been dipping Since high school and Ive made serious gains, as in 50 pounds of lean muscle in 4 years, copenhagen originals my favorite

In your opinion, is this due to the chew?

G Diesel
11-16-09, 1:00 pm
every1 in my family seems to die either because of smoking or drinking. many of them were bitter when they died slow depressing deaths so i usually pass on both. but from what ive read on other forums it prolly wont affect gains. i personally like to run, bike, a little bit of mma training, etc in addition to just powerlifting and bbing

Good for you bro... You're on the right path--your own.

I am a bodybuilder...My goal is to build muscle and to burn fat when needed by any means nessacary. Who said bodybuilding was healthy anyway?

Bodybuilding should be a healthy endeavor. "Building" has positive connotations. I can't understand how any person who considers themselves an athlete can freely and proudly flaunt their substance addiction problems. I do understand that we all battle our own demons in our own ways, but they are just that--demons. You get one body and one life, so take care of it, nurture it, help it grow and make it better.

Peace, G

Appollonian
11-16-09, 1:26 pm
I have worked out with several people who used tobacco regulary (one smoke, one smokeless). The guy who smoked was able to keep up with me rep for rep, pound for pound, and could run almost as well as I could (we both can run 4+ miles, I do it in less than 30 minutes, it takes him about 30 seconds more a mile) but he is the first to admit that he could do more if he didn't smoke.

The guy who does the smokeless, the affects won't be seen fully for years, possibly decades to come.

Bodybuilding in its essence is a heatlhy endeavor (save for those who use illicit substances). Over the long term, bodybuilding will undoubtably promote health and well-being.

Can you build muscle while using smoke-less? I'm sure you can, but will you be as healthy as you could be 40 years from now? I would look to the older folks you know who have used the product and see how they look and feel. Then find someone the same age who has been lifting consistenly since their younger years and see what you like more.

The Prodigy
11-17-09, 12:47 am
cancer or diabetes right?? lol

Kevlar
11-18-09, 5:41 pm
Does dipping tobacco speed metabolism and cut weight? Yes, as well as crack and crank and living off of celery. Bulemia and homelessness probably do the trick too. It's got nothing to do with bodybuilding. Sucking dick may make my appetite decrease, but I woud rather just keep dick and dip outta my mouth.

One exception- Arnold smokes cigars. He can do what he wants.

JasonG
11-18-09, 5:54 pm
I think this is a good topic and not bullshit. Drugs are embeded in this sport we don't talk about it for good reason, but we are here to help each other. I have been using dip for way too long and have quit a few times. I just quit again during this deployment and used nicotine gum and sugar free gum to help kick the habit. Chantix didn't work for me the last time, it just gave me bad dreams. Also what a lot of people do is get those fireball candys. It tingles in your mouth like chew does, but there's the sugar piece to worry about if your cutting I guess. Sugar free cinamon gum is an alternative. With your main question it's easier to cut smoking or chewing if you have the addiction I'm sure because you tend to turn to food to replace the habit which can sabatoge your goals. I wouldn't make that an excuse not to quit though. It takes strength and a strong desire to quit and disipline not to snack instead. Good luck, if I can do it you can!

NJC_Manhattan
11-18-09, 9:51 pm
Some stories, hope they provide some info

1# Had a buddy that smoked since he was 13-24. That's 11 years (during your development stage as well) of pretty heavy smoking. He is 5'8 and weighs maybe 140. Has no appetite. Other than that, he switched from smoking to dipping and almost lost a tooth. I'm not one to judge, but I wouldn't do that

2# Guy who I worked with gave up smoking for lollypops, ended up getting serious cavities.

3# Roommate in High-school dipped for about 6 years. He had surgery to remove a white pallet from his inner bottom lip. Early form of cancer. He was lucky that it didn't spread to his neck.

On occasion, I have a smoke. Talked with my Doctor, and though he would never EVER condone smoking, he said that the fact that I smoke maybe 3 cigs a month that i am really low risk.

With quitting, the first 3 days are the worst. it takes 3 days for the physical addiction to vanish. After that is the mental, that can take undetermined amounts of time.

Bottom line: its your life. Don't let anyone say 'Don't smoke' 'Don't dip'. Make that decision for yourself, but if things go south you have to live with that decision as well.

Enforcer
11-18-09, 10:19 pm
Sup fellas, starting my senior year of high school i chewed tobacco. As I went through football, hockey and rugby season, while chewing tobacco I got pretty cut even after i stopped playing sports after my senior year. I got the feeling that the tobacco had a positive effect on my getting more cut since I was able to maintain my physique after sports. Obviously I don't need to hear that this shit causes cancer, blah blah blah, i know it does, that is why i quit, but i was wondering if you guys ever heard of any of the effects of chew on metabolism and overall bodybuilding nutrition. Thank guys,
ShaqFu

Idk if it helps lose weight, but I cant go a day at work without a nice dip...lol

Kryptonite
11-26-09, 8:27 am
i think gum cancer may inhibit some potential growth. if you don't have your teeth, how can you eat big??

You DRINK big.

E-Train
11-27-09, 8:45 pm
You DRINK big.

And then in the long run alcohol metabolizes muscle. No bueno.

Kryptonite
11-27-09, 9:18 pm
And then in the long run alcohol metabolizes muscle. No bueno.

I meant if the chewing tobacco rots your teeth and you can't "eat big", you "drink big" through protein powders and weight gainers. Haha

E-Train
11-28-09, 12:19 am
I meant if the chewing tobacco rots your teeth and you can't "eat big", you "drink big" through protein powders and weight gainers. Haha

Well when you say drink you should specify lol

GRat86
11-30-09, 4:15 pm

i agree g_mau. I've definately made gains and i've been dipping for almost 6 years. I've lost some of my original gum line, btu other than that i believe that you can grow even if you use tobacco products. and yes cope is awesome.

eswary
03-13-10, 8:52 am
About 4 months ago I finally quit smoking. As of the first of Feb. I have been a total gym rat. As of right now I have crushed one can of the Stak, chuggin' Lava w/ another scoop of EAS protein, and eating the best that I possibly can(I am 29 yrs old).
So as you can see I am tryin' to do everything right, but I have one issue. Since I quit smoking, I on occasion like to throw in a chew. I know this has to be affecting my hydration levels. I do drink alot of water, but I wonder how much this habit could be hindering my progress. I do understand that any tobacco product is not good for ya, but is this something I should or shouldnt worry too much about as long as it is in moderation?

As always, thanks for the info guys,

eswary

boyer77
03-13-10, 9:02 am
About 4 months ago I finally quit smoking. As of the first of Feb. I have been a total gym rat. As of right now I have crushed one can of the Stak, chuggin' Lava w/ another scoop of EAS protein, and eating the best that I possibly can(I am 29 yrs old).
So as you can see I am tryin' to do everything right, but I have one issue. Since I quit smoking, I on occasion like to throw in a chew. I know this has to be affecting my hydration levels. I do drink alot of water, but I wonder how much this habit could be hindering my progress. I do understand that any tobacco product is not good for ya, but is this something I should or shouldnt worry too much about as long as it is in moderation?

As always, thanks for the info guys,

eswary

Good question bro... I just quit chewing after 20 years, hardest thing I have ever done. I started doing some research and found out that nicotine causes your blood vessels to constrict or close up. It also causes some unbalance in your hormones and the way your central nervous system functions. So in short, all the nutrients you are trying to get to your muscles is being constricted. Your digestion and absorption of nutrients is hindered and your muscles are not growing like they should. I think the rest is self explainable. I have seen huge gains in size and strength. Before I would get a decent pump and it would be gone within an hour after leaving the gym. Now I walk around all day with a good swoll and my strength is through the roof. Google "nicotine affects on the body" and you can find some good articles. I am not a doctor... these are just my experiences. Good luck man!

PIJW
03-13-10, 9:08 am
My advise is to stop but i had the same problem years ago. When i had it just quit cold turkey because my insurance rates went up like crazy from my blood test. Now this was health and life insurance. Since i have quit i feel better plus i am saving money on health and life insurance. So if its just an occasional chew, make it less and less and soon you won't be doing it.

trize72
03-13-10, 9:50 pm
E-Rock! trow'in a dip in? you ready for da heavy weight sessions on mon.?

NJC_Manhattan
03-13-10, 11:25 pm
I would say quit the dip and/or chew.

I used to throw Skoal and Kodiak in High School. K-bear will take rust off metal. Dip in my opinion is 10x worse than cigs.

With that being said, I have about 1-2 cigs a month (usually less), but sometimes when I've had too much to drink smokes come in to play.

Look you're a grown man. If you want to chew, dip, smoke, whatever, go ahead, but be prepared for possible health effects

dannynb
03-14-10, 11:09 am
Hmmm... too used to have an issue with Copenhagen....luckily I beat it. I have to say there is no such thing as something that can kill you being OK in moderation. Think about it, is it really helping you achieve any goal in life? Unless bad breath and the loss of teeth and gum's is a goal than ditch it bro.

eswary
03-14-10, 6:17 pm
E-Rock! trow'in a dip in? you ready for da heavy weight sessions on mon.?

Looks like my chewing days are coming to a end, except for maybe when golfin'. I look forword to tomarrow. I was surprised that I could put that much weight up on the bench after a total workout. Who wants to lift the heavyweight you ask? I want to lift that weight ass weight!! YEAAAAAAAAH BUDDY!!! This new cycle should be awesome. Even though I havent even started my second can, I look forward to my third....especially since it's gonna be the TEST cycle baby!! See ya tomarrow, Stump!

trize72
03-14-10, 7:52 pm
Hahahahahahahahahaa! Yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh buddy!

GJN5002
03-16-10, 11:25 am
I agree with everyone else. I smoked all through college then quit that and switched to chew for about two years. I hadnt chewed in like 6 months and just a month ago started the here and there thing. Well before I knew it I was chewing again. I talked ot a guy who had mouth and throat cancer form smoking/chewing. I threw out my pouch of red man on my way into the gym that night.

They make imitation chewing tobacco called Smokey Mountain, I think its like ground up plants. They put cayenne pepper in it so it burns a bit like the real thing. It claims to be 100% safe. If you go to their website you can get a sampler for cheap. I started by mixing chew with it to wean myelf off last time I quit.

adidas
03-16-10, 1:41 pm
Markus Ruhl smokes....just saying...doesn't seem to have stalled his progress. ;)

U Mad Brah?
03-16-10, 2:24 pm
Markus Ruhl smokes....just saying...doesn't seem to have stalled his progress. ;)

what about the progress on his lungs brah?

adidas
03-16-10, 2:26 pm
what about the progress on his lungs brah?

Markus Ruhl doesn't breath to live, he lives so we can breath.

GJN5002
03-16-10, 3:41 pm

Ive heard others use this agruement. So what if Markus didnt smoke? isnt it entirely possible that he could be better overall? Who knows, maybe not? Its prob no coincidence he struggles with conditioning sometimes.

adidas
03-17-10, 9:18 am
Ive heard others use this agruement. So what if Markus didnt smoke? isnt it entirely possible that he could be better overall? Who knows, maybe not? Its prob no coincidence he struggles with conditioning sometimes.

lol bro you know me...using an IFBB pro as an example for anything a normal person does means nothing. I was simply poking for fun with that :(

Brutus_515
03-17-10, 11:02 am
As a "dipper"/former smoker I havent seen any adverse affects(yet) but yes it is a health risk the side of the can says "May cause mouth cancer". Quiting smoking 3 years ago was hard but I can already see that to stop chewing is going to be harder. I will also admit I use every excuse to no quit(work, stress, its not smoking, I brush my teeth 5 times a day...ect) If you want to quit than do it if not its on you. If your diet, water and training are all on point then you shouldnt have too many problems gaining muscle/shedding fat. Just please brush your fangs more often

As for the Ruhl thing smoking I know a few people that smoke towards the end of thier prep to curb the hunger. Its like at that time of prep your in good shape smoking doesnt affect your cardio. but again those guys dont give a shit about being healthly they just want to get ripped.

Wreckage77
03-17-10, 1:42 pm
hey bro i am twenty i have been chewing grizzly wintergreen since i was fifteen, ive been liftin sinc ei was 17, everytime i have gone into the weightroom i have had a chew in and thrown it in the bushes and the minute im done im packin that damn can. i have lifting buddies that have never touched it and well i put them to shame based solely on the fact that i have a far better diet, i am cuttin for my first show and i am hungry just about all day even right after i eat, and the only thing that prevents me from sucumbing to the random shit i can throw in my mouth to eat is that wonderful wintergreen flavor! One day down the road your mouth is prlly gunna take a shit on ya if you dont take care of it but if you enjoy it keep hittin it! ive tried smoking but that didnt workout with cardio at all so for me it is a release and a damn good one

Lightnin'
03-17-10, 1:55 pm
I was wondering when this topic would show up... I've been dipping since I was 14. Copenhagen, Skoal, Timberwolf. Being a baseball player I've been around it constantly and most of my former teammates are still dippers. I don't know 2 cents about smoking so that's that.

I've always dipped in moderation. One or two a night, and none during the day at work or gym. Weekends, and golf or baseball games maybe 1 or two more per day. Almost always after meals.

Nicotine actually speeds up your digestive system which is why sometimes smokers and dippers have to use the john right after the nicotine gets into their system. I like to trick myself and think that the protein is getting to my muscles faster but that is a farce.

Although, I haven't had any "negative" effects from it, I wouldn't reccomend it. It can be a hassle, does cost some cash, and you've always got to find a way to wash your mouth out after you ace your chew.

Steer clear if you are thinking about starting.

GJN5002
03-17-10, 2:40 pm
I was wondering when this topic would show up... I've been dipping since I was 14. Copenhagen, Skoal, Timberwolf. Being a baseball player I've been around it constantly and most of my former teammates are still dippers. I don't know 2 cents about smoking so that's that.

I've always dipped in moderation. One or two a night, and none during the day at work or gym. Weekends, and golf or baseball games maybe 1 or two more per day. Almost always after meals.

Nicotine actually speeds up your digestive system which is why sometimes smokers and dippers have to use the john right after the nicotine gets into their system. I like to trick myself and think that the protein is getting to my muscles faster but that is a farce.

Although, I haven't had any "negative" effects from it, I wouldn't reccomend it. It can be a hassle, does cost some cash, and you've always got to find a way to wash your mouth out after you ace your chew.

Steer clear if you are thinking about starting.

I know mouth cancer, gum disease etc are possible, but I often wonder if all the warnings are some what far fetched. I guess it has a lot to do with genetics and over all health not just chew in who gets cancer, but how many people thta chew for many years actually suffer the ramifications?

nevergiveup92
03-17-10, 4:01 pm
Ive been dippin grizzly wintergreen since i was 12 and am glad this post showed up, i know many of bodybuilders who have dipped and it really has no noticeable effects on the body (in bodybuilding aspects) but I agree with the guy above me who says it keeps him from running to the pantry and chowing down on shit...i love my grizzly too much to give it up for a few minor effects it has on my body

U Mad Brah?
03-19-10, 9:28 am
why the oral fixation with chewing brahs?

adidas
03-19-10, 1:21 pm
why the oral fixation with chewing brahs?

at least it ain't an oral fixation with swallowing?!

boyer77
03-19-10, 1:55 pm
Ive been dippin grizzly wintergreen since i was 12 and am glad this post showed up, i know many of bodybuilders who have dipped and it really has no noticeable effects on the body (in bodybuilding aspects) but I agree with the guy above me who says it keeps him from running to the pantry and chowing down on shit...i love my grizzly too much to give it up for a few minor effects it has on my body

I guess I ask how much better could they be if they didn't chew? I guess we will never know, but I have seen huge changes since I quit a few weeks ago. Maybe it is because I am older?! Who knows...

BigDY
03-19-10, 3:13 pm

Yeah only stuff that keeps me from the pantry.

ruggerlad69
07-25-10, 12:45 am
it is well known that nicotine increases your metabolism. therefore cutting fat. As far as chew goes I used to do it as well caus ei played hockey and rugby and football but no more, quite unhealthy for you.

AntoineV
07-26-10, 4:56 pm
Chewing tobacco? I'd suggest not doing that for many reasons.

- Long term use can cause cancer and mouth diseases
- You won't get to kiss any hot womens with a big chunk of stinky plant in your mouth
- Waste of money
- Not a healthy & good looking habit in general

Pizzalamp
07-26-10, 9:05 pm
absolutely disgusting and unnecessaary habit
might as well drink a shake of raw sewage and hair from the community shower drain

AntoineV
07-27-10, 8:03 pm
absolutely disgusting and unnecessaary habit
might as well drink a shake of raw sewage and hair from the community shower drain

sewage shake is a good source of Iron but I heard it slows your metabolism... even if it gives some anti catabolic proprieties. Still, it's better than chewing tobacco.

nevergiveup92
07-28-10, 12:26 am
I am on a pro hormone product and wonder if me dipping tobacco 2 times day have any effects on my progress

GJN5002
07-28-10, 12:29 am
post of the year.....

ontheEDGE
07-28-10, 12:39 am
I would say skip both. Avoid any shortcuts or bullshit and the results will always be better.

Legacy
07-28-10, 12:50 am
hard to say if it has any direct effect on your progress, but why dip? If you are serious about your training and healthy lifestyle, why throw in something unneeded? But its your choice man so if you like doing then do it, ain't no one gonna tell you what to do. Also, I am curious as to which pro hormone you are taking considering the majority have been taken off the market and are few and far between now? Just curious

JasonG
07-28-10, 4:01 am
They are still all over the internet. Who knows if they are expired now though. But anyway, I'm more curious about length of time lifting and the op's lean body mass as well as age. Then I'd like to know if there was enough research done on this to make an informed and educated decision with such a product. Don't answer that last one because such things aren't discussed in this forum. I just hope you know what your doing so you don't damage your endocrine system. As far as chewing I can't rag on you because I have the same nasty habit. I'm getting great gains in the gym but I know I need to quit because all this mass is gonna go away if I'm stupid and don't quit soon and end up having chemotherapy someday. Even if I do keep my mass how am I going to step on stage with a fucked up jaw and lip after a surgery? Holy shit this stupid ass post gave me a moment of clarity!

theharjmann
07-28-10, 6:06 am
post of the year.....

LOL

StayGold
07-28-10, 7:11 am
I would say skip both. Avoid any shortcuts or bullshit and the results will always be better.

x2

Joe J
07-28-10, 8:14 am
This is going straight to the bullshit I reckon.

adidas
07-28-10, 11:57 am
IFBB pro's might argue that short cuts don't lead to better results motto there.

m.u.l.e.
07-30-10, 4:57 am
Tobacco is called a toxin for a reason, it's harmful. Wether long term or short term it's still causing damage to you and therefore your body's immune response must kick on. In short, to repair the damage you're doing to yourself is using up key nutrients to fix your mouth and not build your body. With that being said how can you be a body builder if your destroying yourself even if only little by little?

GJN5002
07-30-10, 3:24 pm
With that being said how can you be a body builder if your destroying yourself even if only little by little?

I cant argue that tobacco is good for you, but I wouldnt put most bodybuilders up as poster boys for health. Overeating, dieting, dehydration, drugs, etc etc.

G Diesel
07-30-10, 4:21 pm
I cant argue that tobacco is good for you, but I wouldnt put most bodybuilders up as poster boys for health. Overeating, dieting, dehydration, drugs, etc etc.

True. But just because that is how some in our lifestyle choose to live their life doesn't mean we have to do the same.

I could be healthier on a hundred levels and need to work toward bringing that to fruition, but I'll say it again, bodybuilding should be a healthy and health-conscious endeavor.

Peace, G