PDA

View Full Version : Milk postworkout (PWO)?

JB69
07-14-07, 8:04 am
sup fella's, i was wondering if it is ok to mix skim milk with my protein shake after training, i usually have a pack of nitro then 30 mins later have a shake with 2 or 3 packs of flavoured oatmeal and honey. i have heard that the milk can slow down the absorption of the whey or something like that, i wanting to see what you guys thought if this.

adidas
07-14-07, 8:18 am
milk is fine PWO
and whole milk is good too, it spikes insulin levels. which PWO is what you want to shuttle all them mutritients to the muscles you just abused.

Space Cowboy
07-14-07, 8:38 am
I more or less always have milk with my shake. During the day with skimmed milk, pwo with water to shuttle the goods quicker in the window and before bed with semi-skimmed to slow down absortion.

Milks great ona bulk, tho im cuttin from next week so my beloved milk will be no more, waaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

EASI

Lekter
07-14-07, 1:35 pm
Always use it. I do a 30gm scoop of protein, half a carton of egg beaters (4 servings) and top it off with milk. Good shit.

king1
07-14-07, 1:36 pm
It isnt really bad to take post workout, but i would suggest just taking your whey with water and having milk with your next meal.

gsb239
07-14-07, 1:53 pm
Milk sugar is lactose. It has to be converted to glucose in the liver before it can cause an insulin spike. Gatorade powder is a better postworkout carb in my opinion.

Gas Can
07-14-07, 2:58 pm
i heard that to take your pw shit with water for faster asorbtion milk slows it down all the blood will go to your stomach to digest it what works best for me is a banana or handful of craisens then a p-shake with water then a lil later pw meal some pros like lee haney will drink a soda right after a workout then a p shake or jay cutler and some skittles haha do what works for you everyone is different good luck

rainwave
07-14-07, 5:14 pm
Yes, I always drink milk with my shakes.

RoJoHen
07-14-07, 6:29 pm
Well, I think whey with water is absolutely disgusting. I always mix chocolate whey powder with milk.

Squat_Heavy
07-14-07, 6:33 pm
I use skimmed milk in my shakes all day long, i drink about 4-6 litres of skimmed milk a day. Whey with water tastes like shit

Gas Can
07-15-07, 12:36 am
haha choc. whey with milk taste like shit sometimes i gag that shit up i only drink it with water or with milk before bed

mundal
12-14-07, 9:17 am
I heard that drinking milk after your workout helps to gain muscle mass. Did you guys heard anything about it ??????

krazyassmexican
12-14-07, 9:20 am
milk has protein so yeah it can help but

after your muscles are all beat up
they are screaming for some fast acting protein!

so i suggest, you drink some whey instead
or some universal torrent

leave the milk before bed ;)

solidoak
12-14-07, 9:38 am
you can get some default dextrose within milk which is beneficial after your workout. id add milk water and whey, with something to raise insulin concentrations to help get a head start on recovery...

adidas
12-14-07, 9:50 am
milk is PERFECT for Post-WO.

LegendKillerJosh
12-14-07, 10:01 am
milk is PERFECT for Post-WO.

Why is milk perfect PWO? It isn't high glycemic

krazyassmexican
12-14-07, 10:16 am

imo i would still leave milk before bed

whey is great upon waking up or post workout as we need to feed the starving muscles

joe-yamma
12-14-07, 10:19 am
i think milk is totally overlooked. G Diesel is always saying that we shouldn't sleep on the dairy aisle, and I couldn't agree more.
i like 2% milk myself, and i use it liberally with my protein shakes, oatmeal, etc.

krazyassmexican
12-14-07, 10:34 am
i think milk is totally overlooked. G Diesel is always saying that we shouldn't sleep on the dairy aisle, and I couldn't agree more.
i like 2% milk myself, and i use it liberally with my protein shakes, oatmeal, etc.

milk is good bro
it is great
but again

you just beated up your muscles
and they are screamin for food
you need fast acting protein
call it
whey

milk is slow absorbing protein

after workout you need protein fast
and not lil by lil

stumblin54
12-14-07, 1:29 pm
I drink whole milk in all of my shakes all day every day and it hasn't slowed my gains down. The proof is in the puddin', or I guess protein shakes in this case.

Stumblin

simpleguy
12-14-07, 1:33 pm
I used to have it pwo; why not? it has lactose, which is a simple carb, good to be used pwo; has both slow and fast absorbing protein which has been proved to increase protein sinthetis the most; actually in one study it was shown that milk is a great choice pwo... also I have all of my shakes with milk (including pwo) except when I was on torrent, which I was having with water

adidas
12-14-07, 3:13 pm

it doesnt need to be high glycemic, its very insulingentic....

it has slow and fast acting protiens and has a nice mix of carbs that work breat PWO 8g of dextrose per 8oz consumed. it covers all the bases any one could want Post-WO.

born0withno0soul
12-14-07, 4:26 pm
as people stated there are faster absorbing sources of protein out there and this is a good time for that so have a whey and milk shake. best of both worlds

MDur8
12-14-07, 4:56 pm
obviously drinking just milk PWO isnt the best idea...but adding milk to your pwo shake is a great way to get some extra carbs and proteins

Tiny
12-14-07, 5:24 pm
imo i would still leave milk before bed

whey is great upon waking up or post workout as we need to feed the starving muscles

You got it, brother.
I drink a good gallon of milk a day, everyday except precontest, then no milk at all.
Milk digests so slowly that if you open a fresh gallon in the morning and sip it throughout the day, your mucles are treated to a nearly continuous trickle of protein, and given a choice between a few lump sum protein feedings or a continuous trickle even if less in overall totality grams wise, I'd go for the continuous deal. You wanna see some gains? Drink a gallon of skim a day for a month in addition to your regular every day intake and you'll be shocked.

Tiny
12-14-07, 5:28 pm
I used to have it pwo; why not? it has lactose, which is a simple carb, good to be used pwo; has both slow and fast absorbing protein which has been proved to increase protein sinthetis the most; actually in one study it was shown that milk is a great choice pwo... also I have all of my shakes with milk (including pwo) except when I was on torrent, which I was having with water

Not a good choice pwo - great addition but no way sole provider pwo. Not enough sugars and too slow on the digestion times for the protein. Ox gave yall the keys to the kingdom when he mentioned very clearly how to crank your insulin levels up pwo - you should've copied that down and comitted it to memory cause that is the key right there. He who understands and can master his own insulin manipulation gets hyoooge.

RogueLion
12-14-07, 6:05 pm
milk is for babies, when you grow up you drink beer.

Jk. I like milk, its delicious.

RogueLion
12-14-07, 6:06 pm
Not a good choice pwo - great addition but no way sole provider pwo. Not enough sugars and too slow on the digestion times for the protein. Ox gave yall the keys to the kingdom when he mentioned very clearly how to crank your insulin levels up pwo - you should've copied that down and comitted it to memory cause that is the key right there. He who understands and can master his own insulin manipulation gets hyoooge.

WHat did he say Tiny? Do you have a link or can you recap? Thanks

adidas
12-14-07, 6:17 pm

good thing milk is insulingenic then..BTW milk has dextrose and whey in it, not just slow acting protein.

Tiny
12-14-07, 7:14 pm
good thing milk is insulingenic then..BTW milk has dextrose and whey in it, not just slow acting protein.
Insulingenic- NOT ENOUGH to serve our purpose even a little bit. Whey - NOT ENOUGH to make it a viable pwo all on its own. TRUST ME, you can't even think about "milk" in terms of serving the big boy intent and design our pwo drinks serve. But hey, all we can do is share what we know.

Tiny
12-14-07, 7:19 pm
WHat did he say Tiny? Do you have a link or can you recap? Thanks

It's in his "Ask Ox" thread. I read that and said to myself "boom" there it is.

adidas
12-14-07, 7:31 pm
Insulingenic- NOT ENOUGH to serve our purpose even a little bit. Whey - NOT ENOUGH to make it a viable pwo all on its own. TRUST ME, you can't even think about "milk" in terms of serving the big boy intent and design our pwo drinks serve. But hey, all we can do is share what we know.

i dont recall saying milk ALONE is a great choice...but milk post-WO is a perfect when used in conjuction with other foods/protien/carb/fat sources.

Tiny
12-14-07, 8:38 pm
it doesnt need to be high glycemic, its very insulingentic....

it has slow and fast acting protiens and has a nice mix of carbs that work breat PWO 8g of dextrose per 8oz consumed. it covers all the bases any one could want Post-WO.

Hmmm, my bad, seems very much as if you are saying that milk covers all the bases itself and is everything anyone could want pwo. But I am not here to debate anything, I'm already a certifiable monster. Not being antagonistic but do you realize how many grams of dextrose they give a normal person to adequately spike their insulin level when testing for appropriate response? 75 grams. I take in as much as 200 grams in total adding up my before, during, and post workout drinks. Given I am in the 270's - I'm not saying everyone needs this much or should take this much but it takes 75 grams to generate enough of an insulin response to matter (in a healthy adult).

simpleguy
12-15-07, 1:04 am

yeah, of course not by itself but it can be a start that's what I meant... I started with some basic milk and a scoop of whey pwo in my first months lifting; now I also use dextrose, bcaas, and creatine but what I meant is that milk is a start

Tiny
12-15-07, 9:57 am
yeah, of course not by itself but it can be a start that's what I meant... I started with some basic milk and a scoop of whey pwo in my first months lifting; now I also use dextrose, bcaas, and creatine but what I meant is that milk is a start

Oh I agree with you there, bro. I have always been a huge consumer of milk - that shit is golden especially when on a budget, and for overall muscle gain, I do think it is just about a perfect food.

propstm
12-15-07, 10:01 am
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml

There we go! I knew i'd seen a similar article. Now i gotta go get ready for the ABC.

Tiny
12-15-07, 10:30 am
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml

There we go! I knew i'd seen a similar article. Now i gotta go get ready for the ABC.

This is CHOCOLATE milk, bro (something I LOVE, by the way). AND still not the best choice by any stretch of the imagination pwo. In fact, a very weak choice in comparason to what your alternatives are. BTW - any one have any idea how many calories endurance cyclists take in during a long marathon????? More than you eat in a day - guaranteed.

simpleguy
12-15-07, 10:41 am
BTW - any one have any idea how many calories endurance cyclists take in during a long marathon????? More than you eat in a day - guaranteed.

of course they take in huge amounts of cals, and some of them need up to 600-800 gr of carbs per day

I take in about 4500-5000 cals a day

Tiny
12-15-07, 12:30 pm
of course they take in huge amounts of cals, and some of them need up to 600-800 gr of carbs per day

I take in about 4500-5000 cals a day

Yeah, it's amazing how many cals and carbs they consume over the course of a day when riding - unbelievable. Hey, I can't fuckin believe I forgot to mention this (and some of you guys may already be down with this) - I drink litre bottles of "Bolthouse Farms' Perfectly Protein" milk. It has an additional 20 grams of whey protein added to that already contained within a litre of milk. It comes in two flavors - Mocha Cappucinno and Vanilla Hazelnut. The shit is mouth watering. It's all natural and they make other similar products but with soy as the protein source so read the label if you come across any.

pilotboi
02-14-09, 9:22 am
Hey guys...
i have just finished my whey protein and currently waiting 4 my shipment to arrive!
So just wanted to check with you guys if i take a liter of milk after a hardcore workout which contains exactly 50g of protein!

So will it help me to replenish my muscle for a postworkout?

sanga
02-14-09, 9:27 am
This is what some of the old time lifters used to do years ago when supplements were not available,you will be fine doing this until you supps arrive IMO.

mritter3
02-14-09, 10:25 am
hey man i just got done doing the squats and milk program which had me drinking a gallon a day for 2 months straight, put on some solid gains. plus i read somewhere that is how the old time bodybuilders got some of their daily protein, before there was shakes and stuff.

IronWilson
02-14-09, 5:02 pm
Forget regular milk..... Here's the opportunity to drink CHOCOLATE MILK!!!! Drinking it PWO won't hurt you and it tastes so much better than regular milk.

shizz702
02-14-09, 5:10 pm
Fuck yea milk is one of the best things there is to pack on mass, I sometimes drink up to a gallon a day.

theharjmann
02-14-09, 5:43 pm
add milk to every meal to bump up protein and overlal calorie intake....you cant go wrong man

Donogh
02-15-09, 3:39 pm
There seems to be a trend here with bulking and adding mega calories etc I would have to disagree with the milk plans here. Milk has high quality protein but also contains more sugar than protein. It will promote a lot of fat storage and would be better off with egg whites. Lactose is not a good carb source and will spike insulin levels like crazy. You can't flex fat and drinking that much milk all day is a guaranteed way to get fat. Bulk but do it with clean foods - only if the option is no meal or milk would
I suggest drinking milk.

Big3
02-15-09, 4:25 pm
There seems to be a trend here with bulking and adding mega calories etc I would have to disagree with the milk plans here. Milk has high quality protein but also contains more sugar than protein. It will promote a lot of fat storage and would be better off with egg whites. Lactose is not a good carb source and will spike insulin levels like crazy. You can't flex fat and drinking that much milk all day is a guaranteed way to get fat. Bulk but do it with clean foods - only if the option is no meal or milk would
I suggest drinking milk.

The only way you would store a lot of fat while drinking milk was if you aren't lifting heavy and hard during your workout. This is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard in regards to milk......... OP, you should be drinking a lot of milk anyways, just opt for chocolate milk after workouts.... there have been sttudies that prove chocolate milk helps athletes recover faster from workouts.

theharjmann
02-15-09, 5:21 pm
I suggest drinking milk.

milk is low GI

Mrcondor001
02-15-09, 7:51 pm
Drinking 50g worth of protein in milk, probably has the same amount of calories as a super mass gaining protein shake.

BB
02-16-09, 12:12 am
im bulking and drinking a gallon of the stuff a day its great.

Skemerz
02-16-09, 12:53 am
You can always drink full cream milk with skim milk powder. I know at some institutes of sport they use this as a substitute to protein powder. It does work. I made huge gains with milk and skim milk powder mixed together. Just gotta make sure you are hittign the gym hard. I put on 10 kgs in 3 months doing this. I am not fat and I am still skinny build.

pilotboi
02-19-09, 3:23 am
thanks alot guys...

Appreciate it!

Appollonian
09-21-09, 1:26 pm
Not trying to gain anyones ire or the dreaded 'use the search function' (I did but couldn't quickly find what I was looking for) but I had a quick question: has anyone tried adding milk to their postworkout shake, and if so, what are your thoughts? I've read that a mixture of proteins is ideal for nutrition, especially postworkout. I've also read that while milk sugar is digested slowly, it does spike insulin fairly rapidly and should be OK postworkout.

Thanks everyone.

IRBS
09-21-09, 1:34 pm
I always have milk postworkout. Milk does a body good...

Seriously, it will not hurt you. I garuntee that a majority of the guys who disagree with me on this will be skinny and probably not very strong, so take it for what its worth, LOL. I think these guys who get all worked up over nutrient timing are full of it. Yes, it does matter, but sometimes people just need to freaking eat and lift weights. Most of the guys I see whining about Post Workout Nutrition are small and weak....

Drink Milk, I could drink a gallon a day,
IRBS

Appollonian
09-21-09, 1:39 pm

Seriously, it will not hurt you. I garuntee that a majority of the guys who disagree with me on this will be skinny and probably not very strong, so take it for what its worth, LOL. I think these guys who get all worked up over nutrient timing are full of it. Yes, it does matter, but sometimes people just need to freaking eat and lift weights. Most of the guys I see whining about Post Workout Nutrition are small and weak....

IRBS

Thanks for the reply. During my last two years of high school I drank a gallon a day and went from 180 to 190 solid. All throughout college I drank about a gallon a day and got up to 250 (not nearly solid) before I cut out the bad stuff I was eating out. Even when losing weight I drink the good stuff, just not nearly as much as I used to... I will never give it up, just wanted to get more advice from you all.

Thanks!

C.Coronato
09-21-09, 1:41 pm
The ever large JUGGERNAUT drinks milk post workout on the daily .. He knows his shit, and i would follow suit ..

Wasteland
09-21-09, 1:44 pm
Not trying to gain anyones ire or the dreaded 'use the search function' (I did but couldn't quickly find what I was looking for) but I had a quick question: has anyone tried adding milk to their postworkout shake, and if so, what are your thoughts? I've read that a mixture of proteins is ideal for nutrition, especially postworkout. I've also read that while milk sugar is digested slowly, it does spike insulin fairly rapidly and should be OK postworkout.

Thanks everyone.

Do you mixing your protein powder with milk or just drinking whole milk post-workout?

Appollonian
09-21-09, 1:46 pm
I mix the two together. It tastes amazing, and I'm not convinced it has a detrimental affect on the effects of the other products I'm taking. The same would not be true if I were lactose-intolerant, but thankfully I'm not.

Wasteland
09-21-09, 1:47 pm
I mix the two together. It tastes amazing, and I'm not convinced it has a detrimental affect on the effects of the other products I'm taking. The same would not be true if I were lactose-intolerant, but thankfully I'm not.

Milk + protein powder is fine. Is that what you're asking? There's some good research indicating that milk, alone, can be fine post-workout. Milk has protein and carbs, after all.

Appollonian
09-21-09, 1:52 pm
Milk + protein powder is fine. Is that what you're asking? There's some good research indicating that milk, alone, can be fine post-workout. Milk has protein and carbs, after all.

I was basically challenging the wisdom I've heard around the gym and magazines that only fast acting (read fast digesting) nutrition should be taken post-workout and seeing if anyone else had done the same, which some apparently do with good effect.

The number of calories I like to take in my postworkout shake would make drinking only milk prohibitive.

Wasteland
09-21-09, 1:56 pm
I was basically challenging the wisdom I've heard around the gym and magazines that only fast acting (read fast digesting) nutrition should be taken post-workout and seeing if anyone else had done the same, which some apparently do with good effect.

The number of calories I like to take in my postworkout shake would make drinking only milk prohibitive.

"Wisdom"? What wisdom, lol. Who said you should "only" take fast-acting proteins PWO? Oh right, the ISI (Internet Supplement Intelligentsia). Yes, my post is dripping with sarcasm.

shizz702
09-21-09, 2:16 pm
Having a whole milk shake with whey in right now lol.

I remember reading a Machine article where he was a big advocate of it pwo for the simple sugars in it.

prowrestler
09-21-09, 2:20 pm
as a combination with things hell ya! but if your just doin milk, theres deffinatly better options.

whey and some instant juice is my favorite post workout drink ever. its dirt cheap to make and tastes...well depends what flavours im mixing lol. BUT its awsome post workout, simple sugars and fast actin protien

id add milk but juice and milk is kinda gross

adidas
09-21-09, 2:23 pm
"Wisdom"? What wisdom, lol. Who said you should "only" take fast-acting proteins PWO? Oh right, the ISI (Internet Supplement Intelligentsia). Yes, my post is dripping with sarcasm.

I think some ended up in my eye...

I know I got ripped one time for mentioning Milk PWO! lol as we ALL KNOW Whey and WMS is the only thing one MUST have PWO....period. ever. regardless.

QuestForMass
09-21-09, 2:32 pm
how bout milk during workouts. it works well for me i usually drink about 4 glasses of 1% , gotta love milk awesome thing

Wasteland
09-21-09, 2:38 pm
I think some ended up in my eye...

I know I got ripped one time for mentioning Milk PWO! lol as we ALL KNOW Whey and WMS is the only thing one MUST have PWO....period. ever. regardless.

Lol...

Truth is whey/WMS is good. So is whey/dex or whey/dex-malto combo (which I prefer). Or casein/dex-malto. Or milk. Why limit yourself and so the same exact thing day in, day out?

Pizzalamp
09-21-09, 3:50 pm
if for any reason u are concerned w the milk sugars...try mixing a few tablespoons of heavy whipping creme w ya shakes instead...there is no milk sugar in it and it has an anabolic effect...and it tastes amazing
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hollow
09-21-09, 4:15 pm
Milk is definitely one of the staples in my diet. After a good hard workout...a nice cold glass of milk tastes great.

Lightnin'
09-22-09, 2:34 pm
I do 1% milk with a scoop of ON Pro Complex after every workout.

On Letting Go
09-22-09, 2:48 pm
Having a whole milk shake with whey in right now lol.

I remember reading a Machine article where he was a big advocate of it pwo for the simple sugars in it.

Right on. I love using whole milk in my pwo shakes.

TigerAce01
09-22-09, 2:50 pm
I must have gained over 30lbs in a couple of months when I drank a gallon of whole milk a day on top of my regular meals.

My typical diet during this time was -
1 gallon of milk spread throughout the day
Meal 1 - 6-8 whole eggs w/ cup of oats and milk
Meal 2 - 2 chicken breasts topped with cheese and 1-2 cups mashed potatoes and milk
Meal 3 - 50 gram shake with half cup of oats
Meal 4 - beef, green beans, potatoes (equaling around 60-80g protein, 100-150g of carbs) and milk
Meal 6 - 50 gram shake with half cup of oats
Meal 7 - Cup of cottage cheese and milk

When I cut out the milk, I definitely felt a drop of strength, and a lot of my weight gain slowed down. Drink your milk.

-Ace

GJN5002
09-22-09, 3:33 pm
Right on. I love using whole milk in my pwo shakes.

why whole milk?

rev8ball
09-22-09, 3:38 pm
the ISI (Internet Supplement Intelligentsia).

Love it......lol

IRBS
09-22-09, 3:44 pm
why whole milk?

Because it is awesome...LOL

Appollonian
09-22-09, 4:22 pm

I'm slightly embarassed to admit I was raised on skim milk. Whenever I drink whole milk I think 'so this is how it's supposed to be...'

Wasteland
09-22-09, 4:46 pm

That's two for whole milk.

GJN5002
09-22-09, 5:43 pm

why would you want whole milk post workout though, unless I missed the boat and we want fat in our pwo shake?

IRBS
09-22-09, 5:52 pm
why would you want whole milk post workout though, unless I missed the boat and we want fat in our pwo shake?
Experience beats science every time man...some of you guys get so caught up in the "science" that you miss the whole point.

Not everyone wants to be small, weak and skinny...LOL, I would guess that those who are considering whole milk, at all, aren't counting calories, fat, or carbs. They're just trying to get bigger and stronger.

GJN5002
09-22-09, 6:18 pm
Experience beats science every time man...some of you guys get so caught up in the "science" that you miss the whole point.

Not everyone wants to be small, weak and skinny...LOL, I would guess that those who are considering whole milk, at all, aren't counting calories, fat, or carbs. They're just trying to get bigger and stronger.

guess you cant compare the habits of bodybuilders and powerlifters, I'll stick with science on this one, the whole point to me is to maximize results so sometimes you have to get a little caught up.

I dont think its fair to say just because someone pays attention to calories they will be small and weak. Big and strong can just be the same as strong and fat.

IRBS
09-22-09, 6:48 pm
guess you cant compare the habits of bodybuilders and powerlifters, I'll stick with science on this one, the whole point to me is to maximize results so sometimes you have to get a little caught up.

I dont think its fair to say just because someone pays attention to calories they will be small and weak. Big and strong can just be the same as strong and fat.

LOL, who said anything about getting fat?

All I'm saying is that some of you over complicate nearly everything (diet and training) and don't really progress (strength, or physique-wise), and pretty much have the results to show it...

IMO, if you are a novice, you need to be eating and training. That's about it.

adidas
09-22-09, 8:08 pm
That's two for whole milk.

Put me down for 3 on whole milk...

add heavy whipping cream or coconut oil to it also!

the guys back in the day used whole raw milk or heavy cream in their PWO meals...matter fact most of the Golden era BB'ers ate real food (steak & potatoes; chicken and sweet potatoes; etc...) PWO... I'm not going to worry about whole milk fat in my PWO shake. but thats just me.

shizz702
09-22-09, 8:21 pm
If anyone knows what they're talking about on the subject it would be Machine, and here's what he has to say about whole milk:

"This beast of nutrition weighs in at eight grams of protein per eight ounces. It also has some simple sugar which makes it perfect for post workout, or any time caloric density is the order of the day. I consumed at least one whole gallon of milk every day. "

Source:
http://www.animalpak.com/html/article_details.cfm?section=diet&ID=415

He debunks a lot of other myths like white rice being bad for you and such in that article too, good read.

On Letting Go
09-22-09, 8:53 pm

I came across one study in Alan Aragons research review that stated Whole milk elicited an extreme anabolic response when comsumed post-training. I dont remember the exact results, nor can i find the thread on BB.com. I'll work on finding that for you guys.

Not to mention that Milk contains loads of vitamins, minerals, insulinogenic compounds & growth factors you wont get in homemade whey/dex/malto shakes.

Plus its goddamn delicious. Im sold.

OLG

Muscleguy93
09-22-09, 9:29 pm
Milk is awesome...

widdlewade44
09-22-09, 9:46 pm

IRBS

Drink your milk! Try it for even one month, bang out some heavy lifting and drink more milk and you'll see some gains.

Kevin
widdlewade44

mark
09-23-09, 3:49 am

Well, you're not exactly right there Will...

Experience beats BRO-Science everytime would be a more correct statement, LMAO!

Science actually proves that whey protein shakes alone are inferior to casein protein, and that milk protein (which is about 20% whey and 80% casein) actually out performs the other 2. This is because of the famous equation...

Muscle Protein Synthatsis - Muscle Protein Breakdown = Net Protein Synthasis

Whey protein can trigger muscle protein synthasis, but sucks at stopping MPB... Casien does a great job of stopping MPB, and does a good job of stimulating MPS. Not to mention, casien protein digestion usually results in higher blood plasma levels of l-lecuine than whey.

And in a study that compared whole milk to skim milk... whole milk actually caused a higher "anabolic" level to be reached by the body. The reason why is unknown...

Science and experience, a killer combo...

And here's a list of references to get started.

1. Karp JR. Chocolate milk as a post-exercise recovery aid. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006 Feb;16(1):78-91.
2. Tang JE, et al. Minimal whey protein with carbohydrate stimulates muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise in trained young men. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2007 Dec;32(6):1132-8.
3. LaCroix M, et al. Compared with casein or total milk protein, digestion of milk soluble proteins is too rapid to sustain the anabolic postprandial amino acid requirement. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Nov;84(5):1070-9.
4. Elliot TA, et al. Milk ingestion stimulates net muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Apr;38(4):667-74.
5. Roy BD. Milk: the new sports drink? a review. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2008 Oct 2;5:15.
6. McDonald L. (Review of) Milk the new sports drink? a review. Bodyrecomposition.com, 2008.

Wasteland
09-23-09, 8:46 am
1. Karp JR. Chocolate milk as a post-exercise recovery aid. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006 Feb;16(1):78-91.
2. Tang JE, et al. Minimal whey protein with carbohydrate stimulates muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise in trained young men. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2007 Dec;32(6):1132-8.
3. LaCroix M, et al. Compared with casein or total milk protein, digestion of milk soluble proteins is too rapid to sustain the anabolic postprandial amino acid requirement. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Nov;84(5):1070-9.
4. Elliot TA, et al. Milk ingestion stimulates net muscle protein synthesis following resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Apr;38(4):667-74.
5. Roy BD. Milk: the new sports drink? a review. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2008 Oct 2;5:15.
6. McDonald L. (Review of) Milk the new sports drink? a review. Bodyrecomposition.com, 2008.

Some good references cited above which should give us some guidelines for milk and its benefits. Has protein and carbs which, for postworkout, is ideal. Let's not get into that kind of thinking so prevalent on other forums, how one thing is best and everything else should be avoided. Whether you're a bodybuilder, powerlifter or just a lifter, there are many good nutritional choices for after you're done working out. From the Roy study cited above:

"There has been growing interest in the potential use of bovine milk as an exercise beverage, especially during recovery from resistance training and endurance sports. Based on the limited research, milk appears to be an effective post-resistance exercise beverage that results in favourable acute alterations in protein metabolism. Milk consumption acutely increases muscle protein synthesis, leading to an improved net muscle protein balance. Furthermore, when post-exercise milk consumption is combined with resistance training (12 weeks minimum), greater increases in muscle hypertrophy and lean mass have been observed."

GJN5002
09-23-09, 8:52 am
Well, you're not exactly right there Will...

Experience beats BRO-Science everytime would be a more correct statement, LMAO!

Science actually proves that whey protein shakes alone are inferior to casein protein, and that milk protein (which is about 20% whey and 80% casein) actually out performs the other 2. This is because of the famous equation...

Muscle Protein Synthatsis - Muscle Protein Breakdown = Net Protein Synthasis

Whey protein can trigger muscle protein synthasis, but sucks at stopping MPB... Casien does a great job of stopping MPB, and does a good job of stimulating MPS. Not to mention, casien protein digestion usually results in higher blood plasma levels of l-lecuine than whey.

And in a study that compared whole milk to skim milk... whole milk actually caused a higher "anabolic" level to be reached by the body. The reason why is unknown...

Science and experience, a killer combo...

And here's a list of references to get started.

thanks Mark for posting something will a citation. I cant help I'm the type who likes science journals and articles. I just have a hard time doing something because someone did it and it worked for them. Ive never used fat sources in my post workout shake and have made solid gains, but who is to say I couldnt make more with whole milk, I'm willing ot give it a fair shot. I'd like to see a study using raw milk instead of pasteurized.

arab910
09-23-09, 2:47 pm
i ONLY mix PWO shakes with milk. 1% enhances the taste of most powders, not to mention the added protein

WeeMan
09-23-09, 4:23 pm

Thanks everyone.

i train with natural Mr Britian who is nigerian born. he says the biggest guys he saw in africa who couldnt afford protein jus drank milk allll the time, especially pre-workout, this guy drinks milk WHILE he trains. milk is good.

On Letting Go
09-24-09, 7:56 am
i train with natural Mr Britian who is nigerian born. he says the biggest guys he saw in africa who couldnt afford protein jus drank milk allll the time, especially pre-workout, this guy drinks milk WHILE he trains. milk is good.

The poor mans protein shake. haha.

Hell yea, Milk is good. I dont drink it while i train though.

GJN5002
09-24-09, 10:12 am
The poor mans protein shake. haha.

Hell yea, Milk is good. I dont drink it while i train though.

yea milk while training is out of my league. Makes me think of anchor man, "Milk was a bad choice."