PDA

View Full Version : Is Beta-Alanine as good as the reviews?

Budsbythebeach
07-17-07, 4:17 pm
Have you tried it, is it that great?

brandonA
07-17-07, 4:30 pm
G is running a log of his experments with it...here ya go..

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=8551

-B

ncsu06
07-17-07, 7:00 pm
yes it is as great as its reviews...plus the studies behind it are unbelievable....i have done the BA and IMO one of the best supps i have ever tried....i suggest you give it a shot if you need more endurance....good luck brothers

Maximus
07-17-07, 10:22 pm
yes it is as great as its reviews...plus the studies behind it are unbelievable....i have done the BA and IMO one of the best supps i have ever tried....i suggest you give it a shot if you need more endurance....good luck brothers

I will second that...I have been taking 2g post w/o and 2g before bed and I have had some unbelievable endurance in the gym from it!

BigAnt
08-06-07, 10:01 am
G;

You are on top of things before it hits home....
Great Beta Alanine article in MD--

STATES THE SAME THINGS YOU MENTIONED!

Thanks for giving us this valuable info.

Danzig138
09-13-07, 12:15 am
I just incorperated this into my stack, when I used it I got this hot tingle all over my body like bugs biting you all over or when your leg falls asleep but without the numbness. The directions say if too much is used FLUSHING may occur. I noticed shock therepy has B-alanine also. What is happening to my body when this occurs? ....Why does too much of this amino acid cause this effect.

My Stack: Animal pak
Animal stak 2
Shock/Storm
BCAA stack aac
Beta alanine
Whey & casien

Jimmy
09-13-07, 1:30 am
hey bro, G diesel is experimenting with beta alanine too, maybe this thread will help ya out

naturalguy
09-13-07, 7:21 am
The tingling is a normal effect of beta alanine. It's a very good ingredient that delays fatigue and increases muscular endurance.

Elite
09-13-07, 8:42 am
Is there any need for the added Beta-Alanine? SHOCK THERAPY & STORM both contain it.

nphocus
09-17-07, 11:09 am
I would describe the FLUSHING feeling of beta-alanine as more of a Pins and Needles feeling on your entire body. I've tried some stuff that is stacked with beta-alanine and you can literally feel it rush over you. Alot of people find it annoying to put it mildly and painful at worst. I like it. At least I know it's working instead of being shitted out. It also stacks well with creatine and hmb.

Jimmy
09-18-07, 1:09 am
today i took beta alanine for the first time, i took 2 grams in 32oz of water mixed with eaa stack that i drank during my workout and i experienced no flushing effect

however later in the day i had 2g with 10 oz of protien shake that i downed in 20 seconds. a few minutes later i experienced a tingly, and yes prickly sensation on the top of my wrists and hands, it subsided a few minutes after that. it doesnt hurt, it actually feels kinda cool..

Nulllogik
09-18-07, 10:23 am
I love the feeling. Makes me want to lift more...

the effect on me seems to have lessened with time.

If it bothers you, take only 1g.

Kludwig64
09-10-08, 9:59 pm
i've heard its a pretty good pre-workout supplement, other than the obvious NO boosters out there, whats everyones opinions on this?

Wet and Squirmy
09-10-08, 10:16 pm
Got to love the sustained strength and tingles. It's one thing that makes me feel off if I don't train with it. I take one serving pre-workout, then one serving later in the day with lunch.

Gonz
09-11-08, 8:57 pm
What do you guys recommend as far as this? I've had a few BCAA drinks that had it in there, I can't say I'm thrilled about the tingling feeling but I've never tried it when working out either. I take EAA Stack right now, I figure I can just buy a Alanine powder and put some in that?

Survivor831
09-11-08, 9:06 pm
different products have different recommendations. I have been taking it for about five months (bulk powder), and I do have to say that it works. I take it first thing in the morning with my creatine and then again pre-workout. They say taking it with creatine makes it more effective. I agree 100%. Three grams a day divided into two doses. (1.5 at a time). If you haven't tried it do so.

Gonz
09-11-08, 10:45 pm
Well other than during workouts, what does Beta Alanine do? I know it's supposed to reduce fatigue and such, but other than taking it during a workout does it have any effect on the body?

CommanderXander
09-12-08, 2:13 am
different products have different recommendations. I have been taking it for about five months (bulk powder), and I do have to say that it works. I take it first thing in the morning with my creatine and then again pre-workout. They say taking it with creatine makes it more effective. I agree 100%. Three grams a day divided into two doses. (1.5 at a time). If you haven't tried it do so.

where do you obtain your bulk powder?

Phil800101
09-12-08, 3:11 am
I love it. I've been using Universal's Beta Ala9 since late April, really good stuff.

BiG in NYC 823
09-12-08, 9:02 am
I have taken Sportpharma's BA and loved it..and have continued to this day..

I love it. I've been using Universal's Beta Ala9 since late April, really good stuff.

^^ I just got this stuff!! and I am looking forward to trying it out! I am sure it's a "step-above" the SP stuff..

Gonz
09-12-08, 9:30 am
Well I have a almost full container of a EAA mix that had Beta Alanine. I figured I might as well use it all up, especially seeing as how my EAA stack is almost done. Well needless to say I didn't feel the tingle this time. I take it you only feel the tingle when the Beta Alanine isn't being used correct? I feel the tingling every single time I take it, except this time I only drank it during my workout and no tingling at all, I did notice that I didn't feel the lactic acid as much. Pretty good stuff.

countrymike
09-12-08, 9:37 am
I have taken Sportpharma's BA and loved it..and have continued to this day..

^^ I just got this stuff!! and I am looking forward to trying it out! I am sure it's a "step-above" the SP stuff..I just finished up my bottle of SportPharma Beta-Alanine and I loved it..that stuff works big time, I'm going to order another bottle for sure.

HOCKEY TEMPER
09-14-08, 11:09 pm
Do you guys cycle beta ala9 or stay on it year round?

Phil800101
09-14-08, 11:16 pm
I stay on it.

Gonz
09-17-08, 1:09 am
Wow I can't believe I never got into this stuff before. I took a EAA drink with beta alanine mixed in and I drank it before we did our normal PT session which included a 4 mile run up and down hills. Needless to say I didn't feel any burning whatsoever, it's as if I was able to run at my full potential. The only thing holding me back was that I wasn't breathing as well as I should have been. I was expecting my legs to get heavy after running up and down all those hills, but I didn't stop once and even near the end I felt as if I could sprint. Definitely a staple supplement from now on.

Gonz
09-20-08, 6:27 am
I had a question, from what I remember correctly Beta Alanine suppresses the effects, or at least the feeling of the lactic acid. I know when Lactic acid is produced it releases growth hormone if I remember correctly. So if Beta Alanine effects lactic acid, would it effect the release of growth hormone as well? Maybe I need to read more into this stuff, but maybe someone could give me a clear cut answer on this. Thanks

HOCKEY TEMPER
09-22-08, 11:19 pm
I had a question, from what I remember correctly Beta Alanine suppresses the effects, or at least the feeling of the lactic acid. I know when Lactic acid is produced it releases growth hormone if I remember correctly. So if Beta Alanine effects lactic acid, would it effect the release of growth hormone as well? Maybe I need to read more into this stuff, but maybe someone could give me a clear cut answer on this. Thanks

Good ass question.

violator
09-23-08, 1:45 am
has anyone found that using BA gives them eczema flare ups?
i suffer from eczema occasionally & im worried that the 'tingles' might lead to this problem...

rev8ball
09-23-08, 2:07 am

No.
Beta Alanine increases the supply of Carnosine, which in turns acts as a buffer. When lactic acid is produced, it is not very stable, and quickly breaks down into lactate and a hydrogen ion (H+). The H+ may interfere with Calcium's (Ca+) binding to the protein troponin, which would then inhibit Ca+'s role in the muscle fiber shortening cycle. Carnosine buffering role occurs because it helps remove the H+ from the mucsle tissue, allowing the body to flush the acidity, raising pH levels, and thereby allowing the muscle to contract normally.

rev8ball
09-23-08, 2:09 am
i've heard its a pretty good pre-workout supplement, other than the obvious NO boosters out there, whats everyones opinions on this?

Right now, very reliable, researched and tested. Good stuff, and it has alot more legitimate support behind it than NO boosters.

rev8ball
09-23-08, 2:17 am
What do you guys recommend as far as this? I've had a few BCAA drinks that had it in there, I can't say I'm thrilled about the tingling feeling but I've never tried it when working out either. I take EAA Stack right now, I figure I can just buy a Alanine powder and put some in that?

Most of the research has used between 4g and 6.6g per day for anywhere from 4-10 weeks. However, dosages as small as about 1.6 for 28 days still saw improvement. The studies also showed, though, that benefits kind of leveled off after about 10 weeks. There is some current research being done that focuses more on the actual timing of dosages; hopefully that will be out within the next year.

Gonz
09-23-08, 5:57 am
Most of the research has used between 4g and 6.6g per day for anywhere from 4-10 weeks. However, dosages as small as about 1.6 for 28 days still saw improvement. The studies also showed, though, that benefits kind of leveled off after about 10 weeks. There is some current research being done that focuses more on the actual timing of dosages; hopefully that will be out within the next year.

So after 10 weeks you've reached your peak? Or does it start to "wear off"? I'm taking it twice a day to build up my "tolerance" to see how much it effects me over a 10 week period.

rev8ball
09-23-08, 10:43 am
So after 10 weeks you've reached your peak? Or does it start to "wear off"? I'm taking it twice a day to build up my "tolerance" to see how much it effects me over a 10 week period.

It doesn't seem to wear off, just that the gains are not as pronounced. For example, after four weeks, the increase in carnosine was 60%, after ten weeks, it was 80%. But after that, the increases kind of leveled off , and the gains were much less. However, its effectiveness did NOT diminish.

Gonz
09-23-08, 4:24 pm
It doesn't seem to wear off, just that the gains are not as pronounced. For example, after four weeks, the increase in carnosine was 60%, after ten weeks, it was 80%. But after that, the increases kind of leveled off , and the gains were much less. However, its effectiveness did NOT diminish.

Well that's good, I just want to keep that "endurance". Thanks for the info.

houseofpain
09-24-08, 2:40 pm
I'm thinking about picking some up. What kind of gains did all of you get? and how long did it take to get these gains? How noticeable were they?

HOP

HOCKEY TEMPER
09-30-08, 8:32 pm
So I copped a bottle of BetaAla9 off dps about 2 weeks ago. When I first opened it, it literally reaked of something similar to rotten eggs. A very strong disgusting smell. I took the suggested dosage of 3 pills pre-workout. I noticed no "tingling sensation" and my strength actually decreased when I used it. I made no other supplement/diet changes during these 2 weeks. I felt very week during my 2 weeks working out and i'm attributing it to the beta ala9. I stopped using it yesterday (monday) and today I felt very strong during my back workout. Overall, I was very dissapointed with this supp and am going to try to call customer service and get a refund. I can honestly say it did nothing beneficial for me. Just a personal review...

Gonz
09-30-08, 10:41 pm
So I copped a bottle of BetaAla9 off dps about 2 weeks ago. When I first opened it, it literally reaked of something similar to rotten eggs. A very strong disgusting smell. I took the suggested dosage of 3 pills pre-workout. I noticed no "tingling sensation" and my strength actually decreased when I used it. I made no other supplement/diet changes during these 2 weeks. I felt very week during my 2 weeks working out and i'm attributing it to the beta ala9. I stopped using it yesterday (monday) and today I felt very strong during my back workout. Overall, I was very dissapointed with this supp and am going to try to call customer service and get a refund. I can honestly say it did nothing beneficial for me. Just a personal review...

Hmm that's the first I've ever heard of this. Yes it does smell like Rotten Eggs, not too thrilled about that, but then again I'm not opening the bottle that often anyways. For me, I've been using it for a little while now. Honestly I haven't seen it work too great for my arms. What I mean is, when I do arms I still feel an intense burn. It seems to only work on my legs for some odd reason. I can do hill sprints, plyometrics, squats etc and can notice the effects of having the lactic acid being suppressed and energy from that, but only from those exercises. I still take it overall because I think it really does help, but just wondering why it doesn't work as well on my arms.

ironprof
11-03-08, 2:09 pm
Sup guys.

Do any of you use Beta-alanine? I hear it's one of the hottest new supps. I've even read that it's comparable to, if not better than nitric oxide products. Of course, Universal gives us the Beta Ala9 product. Does anyone use this, or use Beta-alanine at all? Gimme some reviews.

Thanks

never_2_big
11-03-08, 8:47 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=16636&highlight=beta+ala9

Oceanic6
10-17-09, 1:30 pm
Hey guys,

I been taking Beat Alanine for a while now and was wondering how everyone likes it...I was thinking I would drop it from my supplementation because of money (just bought a water ionizer) and wanted to see what you guys thought...Is it worth keeping around?

TigerAce01
10-17-09, 1:40 pm
Not many supplements have credible research to back it up. Beta alanine certainly does. I always have beta alanine around nowadays, and it seems that the longer I use it, the better it gets, even after 4-5 months of use. And since it's not replacing anything in your body, you can take it indefinitely without having to worry. I'd keep it around.

-Ace

Oceanic6
10-17-09, 2:36 pm
is there a huge difference between universals beta alanine and sportpharma? has anyone tried both?

TigerAce01
10-17-09, 2:59 pm
In my next round of supplements, I'm buying mainly SportPharma. I've heard really great things about SportPharma's BA, so I think it's safe to say there's not much of a difference.

-Ace

Oceanic6
10-17-09, 3:07 pm
cool... thanks a lot

C.Coronato
10-19-09, 11:42 am
Im a big believer in SP Beta Alanine. I defiantly like it very much.

Beach91
10-19-09, 1:20 pm
I use a no name bulk brand, and have always had excellent results from beta alanine. I take it pre and post workout with creatine, at 2 grams per serving, and do find that it helps my endurance during my high volume training sessions. I have never taken it for cardio though, and am interested to see if it helps with HIT sessions.

The little prickly feeling is cool. I find though that too much of a good thing is not always a good thing, i have gone as high as 4 grams at one time, but find that at this dosage it upsets my stomach.

I wish they would add Beta alanine to Animal Pump, i think it would make a great preworkout formula even better!

naturalguy
10-19-09, 1:46 pm
I use a no name bulk brand, and have always had excellent results from beta alanine. I take it pre and post workout with creatine, at 2 grams per serving, and do find that it helps my endurance during my high volume training sessions. I have never taken it for cardio though, and am interested to see if it helps with HIT sessions.

The little prickly feeling is cool. I find though that too much of a good thing is not always a good thing, i have gone as high as 4 grams at one time, but find that at this dosage it upsets my stomach.

I wish they would add Beta alanine to Animal Pump, i think it would make a great preworkout formula even better!

FYI.........Animal Pump has L-carnosine in it

Beach91
10-19-09, 2:37 pm
Thanks Naturalguy, i totally missed that, although i havent had the tingly sensation from Pump that i get from bulk Beta Alanine, How many grams of carnosine does a serving of Pump contain?

TigerAce01
10-19-09, 2:57 pm
FYI.........Animal Pump has L-carnosine in it

I thought carnosine was easily digested and destroyed by the body? Hence the reason why beta alanine supplementation came about anyway?

-Ace

naturalguy
10-19-09, 3:17 pm
Thanks Naturalguy, i totally missed that, although i havent had the tingly sensation from Pump that i get from bulk Beta Alanine, How many grams of carnosine does a serving of Pump contain?

It is in a blend so I don't know the exact amount

I thought carnosine was easily digested and destroyed by the body? Hence the reason why beta alanine supplementation came about anyway?

-Ace

Carnosine has to be broken down to beta alanine in the body for it to be use able first hence the reason why most supplements use beta alanine

TigerAce01
10-19-09, 3:30 pm
Carnosine has to be broken down to beta alanine in the body for it to be use able first hence the reason why most supplements use beta alanine

That makes sense haha

-Ace

Aggression
10-19-09, 3:50 pm
I've used Universal BetaAla9 before and liked it. I'm going back on it once my contest is over. Word to the wise, use as suggested. I took a little more than the recommended dosage to see what happens. Definite flushing will occur, haha.

rev8ball
10-19-09, 4:00 pm

-Ace

Carnosine is broken down in the body into BA and histidine. They are recombined later on back into carnosine and transported to the body. However, the net amount is much less, which is why research shows that supplementing with BA (and your body can manufacture histidine) will result in a greater net amount of carnosine rather than supplementing with carnosine exclusively.

TigerAce01
10-19-09, 4:12 pm
Carnosine is broken down in the body into BA and histidine. They are recombined later on back into carnosine and transported to the body. However, the net amount is much less, which is why research shows that supplementing with BA (and your body can manufacture histidine) will result in a greater net amount of carnosine rather than supplementing with carnosine exclusively.

This is a much more clear description of what occurs than what I read, thanks for the information.

-Ace

Muscleguy93
02-22-10, 8:24 pm
Sup guys, just got a quick question about Beta-alanine. I hear alot of good things about it. So i was wondering anyone else use it before? good effects? side effects?

Warvstar
02-22-10, 8:54 pm
Used it before for a couple weeks. I like it, will probably make it a regular thing to take it.

side effects, none I have noticed other than slight tingling in hands, this is normal.

MELTDOWN
02-22-10, 9:13 pm
Nothing but good to post. You get used to the tingle, let's ya know it's working. endurance is up, fatigue is down. Mixing it with some other goodies to find a setup for another home made pre w/o cocktail... Plus Sportpharma has it on the price low.

Muscleguy93
02-22-10, 10:23 pm
nice. thanks for the replys.

Firefist
02-22-10, 10:33 pm
yup people have noted the tingling, i feel it most in my face. also, i know some guys who get a little flushing. its a good supplement, a lot of pre workouts contain it nowadays.

Survivor831
02-22-10, 11:13 pm
Highly recommend this......more endurance and lots of energy.

Girevik 69
02-22-10, 11:44 pm
It feels kind of like a niacin flush, but kind of different, too.

violator
02-23-10, 1:11 am
BA rocks!...i choose it over creatine in terms of effectiveness!
& tingles?...shit...i call it the 'stingles'...haha...feels like my whole body is itchin...but that effect fades as soon as im warmed up...

Aggression
02-23-10, 8:37 am
Ive been using it as of late. I'm currently out of it and can't wait to get another bottle. The stuff works. I remember reading an article somewhere, possible in MD, where they claimed that it was the 'best supplement you're not taking'.

A lot of people don't know much about it, or don't even bother with it. They're definitely missing out.

ghost
02-23-10, 8:52 am
Rev8ball is the most knowledgable person I have ever met about beta ala9. If you have any questions we need to get him in here... he has done a ton of research on it.

the only side effect i have ever seen was an increase in strength..........................

J-Dawg
02-23-10, 11:35 am
the only side effect i have ever seen was an increase in strength..........................

And you can feel it working within a few days. Really a must have supplement for all lifters, strength athletes.

Muscleguy93
02-23-10, 5:09 pm
wow...Im deff gonna buy some!

thanks again.

Preservation
04-20-10, 9:54 pm
To be frank beta is great it maintains muscle, reduces fat and you can gain muscle it's something to take if your a lifter...that's for sure.

J-Dawg
04-22-10, 9:44 am
One of my staples for sure. I take it along with creatine pre-workout. And another serving 3-4 hours apart.

C.Coronato
04-22-10, 10:07 am
I do the same thing J. Great thing for sure, and i love the tingles.

Lightnin'
04-22-10, 10:54 am
What's Universals product with it in it?

I'm not seeing it on my supplement website that I buy from.

ghost
04-22-10, 10:57 am
What's Universals product with it in it?

I'm not seeing it on my supplement website that I buy from.

what?
it is called Beta-Ala9 that's the product name.

Sprint
04-28-10, 7:20 pm
I started using it a while ago primarily to aid recovery with my sprint training, i got itching/tingling on the palms of my hands and soles of my feet. plus if i rub my traps and/or forehead shortly after takin it, it feels SO good, (odd i know, cant explain it)
anyway, started using it for my weight sessions as well and the most noticeable thing was a real lack of soreness the day after. finished my tub, soreness returned but whilst taking it, virtually no soreness at all, and we're talking balls to the wall training here. Felt slightly fuller in the muscles as well, that could be psychological but the lack of soreness definitely wasnt. The itching/tingling lasts only for about 10 minutes tops, comes on about 30-45 mins after taking it, and it isnt a huge factor, would say its fairly mild compared to say a mosquito bite. Would definitely recommend it.

Deltoid
05-03-10, 5:38 pm
My old man takes it and he swears by it.