PDA

View Full Version : The TPS Strongman Journey

Pages : [1] 2 3

boar
07-24-07, 12:45 pm
My first post on my many workouts to come.

Here is deads till you puke.

I took 80 percent of my max pull which was 405 and did max reps.

405 1x9, 5x2 then drop sets to..
315 6x, 275 6x, 225 8x

I strategically worked out at the rack closest to the door. After the last set from hell, I visited the designated puke spot outside and hurled then continued the workout

barbell shrugs 225 10x, 225 5x5
behind the head overhead press (strict) 95 5x, 135 5x
little dip drive to it 185 5x, 185 5x3

superset lounges/calf raises w/ barbell
135 3x5/ 225 5x, 275 5x, 315 12x

Farmers walk with trap bar (75ft)

warmup 135 round trip
315 one trip
365 one trip
405 one trip more solid then run with 365. controlled t-bar well kept it level
405 one trip didn't keep bar level but good speed

post workout food

protein shake 2 cups of milk, banana, berries, 2 scoops of whey

6oz beef brisket
2 6oz eye rounds
potatoe
baked beans

boar
08-06-07, 11:40 am
wide stance squats warm up with 225, 315
First work sets 335 5x, 365 2x5, 3x

I then did 315 2x5 to finish my 5x5 set because I could not hit 5reps on my third set if 365

although I did not hit better numbers for squats, they felt really good. good depth, really engaging my hamstrings at the bottom. I used to bounce out of my squats but I elimanated that problem.

Supersets leg press and leg curl
leg press 3x10 10 plates
leg curl 3x10 varying weights

By this time i could barely walk but I had a little more torture left...

Superset high box jumps and close stance zercher squat
box jump 3x10
zercher squat 135 (felt like 315) 3x5

All I know is that I am going to be having a problem getting off the crapper this week...

This is boar signing off and till next time stay animal!

boar
08-07-07, 9:56 pm
I had a pretty solid volume workout today. Here it goes from my wrinkled up journal that I carry in my gym bag...

Log bar presses
211lbs 5x3

all presses were pretty solid. I was getting the bar up pretty good to my chest.

log bar curls
111lbs 5x5
I allowed myself to swing into it with my hips (controlled though) because thats the technique to get the log bar up to chest level with heavier weights.

Super sets: 135lb barbell; bent row/behind the head overhead press 5x5

This was a killer superset. Had trouble with getting 5 reps with the press but worked my way through it.

superset: suspended pushups 4x10; pullups 4x5; both with weighted vest

I had the most trouble with the pullups. I stripped the vest then went for max reps hit 35 suspended pushups and 10 pullups. after this I could not stop and banged out 20 incline wide grip pushups.

I then proceeded to collapse on the floor and leave puddles of sweat. This signified the end of my workout...

BEASTOFRAGE
08-07-07, 11:57 pm
fuckin badass shit here bro!
TB

boar
08-08-07, 10:49 am
Thanks man it feels good getting props from a fellow powerlifter

Toni69
08-08-07, 5:18 pm
Your log here so far is sick. I love crazy ass leg wo's. Although, deads dont make me wanna puke...walking power lnges with a weighted barbell on the other hand..really make me wanna puke!

Im following you, so keep your shit comin. Legs (mainly quads), are my weak point and my main focus as I mentally prepare for a 2008 show. I have done my share of sick leg splits with NPC chicka in my corner..but I still like to lurk and see what others are doing and you got my attention! ;)

boar
08-08-07, 9:50 pm
Your log here so far is sick. I love crazy ass leg wo's. Although, deads dont make me wanna puke...walking power lnges with a weighted barbell on the other hand..really make me wanna puke!

Im following you, so keep your shit comin. Legs (mainly quads), are my weak point and my main focus as I mentally prepare for a 2008 show. I have done my share of sick leg splits with NPC chicka in my corner..but I still like to lurk and see what others are doing and you got my attention! ;)

Thanks for the support.

closed stance squats hit quads really well. any ex that demands high powered leg extension will hit quads.

I'm looking forward to tomorrows workout doing some axle deads and max effort atlas stones. I got a strongman show coming up in a couple of weeks.

boar
08-09-07, 11:18 pm
I started my lift with tire deads. The bar is high and it was like doing rack pullz. i got nervous because I couldnt do 410 and my show the weight is at 450.. I then got down below the bar like a regular dead and pulled good. Here are the numbers my fellow animals

tire deads
wu 320, 410
460 1x1, 2x2, 2nd set the best, 1x1

I did stones with tacky for my first time. I hit pr with the 285 stone. I struggled w/ the 305 stone almost got it up the 5 foot platform. if I wasnt so short I could do it.

All in all a great workout and more to follow... Until next time stay animal!!

Toni69
08-10-07, 5:00 am
I started my lift with tire deads. The bar is high and it was like doing rack pullz. i got nervous because I couldnt do 410 and my show the weight is at 450.. I then got down below the bar like a regular dead and pulled good. Here are the numbers my fellow animals

tire deads
wu 320, 410
460 1x1, 2x2, 2nd set the best, 1x1

I did stones with tacky for my first time. I hit pr with the 285 stone. I struggled w/ the 305 stone almost got it up the 5 foot platform. if I wasnt so short I could do it.

All in all a great workout and more to follow... Until next time stay animal!!

Squats are a prob for me now..stupid lowback issue going on.

This is really cool training here. I love watching strongman when it is on tv. Im in the UK, so these types of American shows arent always on and when they are I sit and watch it and dont move from my seat! it just fascinates me. Whatever happened to the strongwoman show? Is that still on in the states?

Am I gonna see on you on tv one day? ;)

darkside64
08-10-07, 5:24 am
My first post on my many workouts to come.

Here is deads till you puke.

I took 80 percent of my max pull which was 405 and did max reps.

405 1x9, 5x2 then drop sets to..
315 6x, 275 6x, 225 8x

I strategically worked out at the rack closest to the door. After the last set from hell, I visited the designated puke spot outside and hurled then continued the workout

barbell shrugs 225 10x, 225 5x5
behind the head overhead press (strict) 95 5x, 135 5x
little dip drive to it 185 5x, 185 5x3

superset lounges/calf raises w/ barbell
135 3x5/ 225 5x, 275 5x, 315 12x

Farmers walk with trap bar (75ft)

warmup 135 round trip
315 one trip
365 one trip
405 one trip more solid then run with 365. controlled t-bar well kept it level
405 one trip didn't keep bar level but good speed

post workout food

protein shake 2 cups of milk, banana, berries, 2 scoops of whey

6oz beef brisket
2 6oz eye rounds
potatoe
baked beans

puke on deads? niffty. deadlifts usually make me super enrage euphoria good. Haha. Looks good though. you trainin for a contest. Bodybuilder or what? peace

boar
08-12-07, 10:40 am
Squats are a prob for me now..stupid lowback issue going on.

This is really cool training here. I love watching strongman when it is on tv. Im in the UK, so these types of American shows arent always on and when they are I sit and watch it and dont move from my seat! it just fascinates me. Whatever happened to the strongwoman show? Is that still on in the states?

Am I gonna see on you on tv one day? ;)

Im working on it toni...

BEASTOFRAGE
08-12-07, 1:16 pm
awesome work boar!
TB

boar
08-15-07, 10:55 pm
Here is the workout fellow animals

Front squats
wu 135 3x, 225 2x, 275 single

work sets 295 double, 315 double
335 failure
speed sets 275 double, 225 6x2

I found my knees knocking in but on the last set I really focused on pushing them out and it worked.

Leg press
wu 4plates 2x
work sets 5p 5x, 6p 2x5, 7p 1x5

Super set gravity boots/ zercher good mornings

If you aren't familiar with the boots there anklets that allow me to hang upside down and do crunches.

Boots
10 straight crunches, +25 5x, straight crunches with side crunches 6sides, 12 straight up.

zercher good mornings
135 5x, 10x, 185 8x

My last set of gh's I was dead on the 6th rep but somehow banged out two more.

After this set I layed out on the floor for a good minute then my buddy tommy came over and I got up.

This was a pretty solid workout and more are to follow. Until then stay animal!

BEASTOFRAGE
08-15-07, 11:43 pm
kickass shit brother! look me up for sure!
TB

boar
08-19-07, 6:40 pm
I did conans wheel and stones today. Here are the numbers and details.

conans wheel
wu 4 plates
3 sets at 8 plates (roughly 450lbs) All sets were pretty solid. Resistance was good I had good speed.

If you are not familiar with the conans wheel, here is my buddy dave doing 1,000lbs on it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=FyCPjaqAAlo

I then did stones today.
Wu 160 stone and 245 stone
2x2 with 285 stone. Never done more then 1 rep with this. I used tacky which makes it easier to lift the stone.

Since I was running out of time I hit a series of stones 160,175,245,285

I had a shitty start but recovered. I struggled to get a good grip on the 245 and then I blasted the 285 stone up there.

I might take most of the week off maybe do an ez chest workout just to get a pump in my upperbody. I got a show this saturday so I gotta give my body a break.

Stay Animal!

Toni69
08-20-07, 4:02 am
Everything is here is very cool..thanks!

boar
08-27-07, 11:35 am
I got my first show under my belt. I competed in the 231 and under division The events are as follows.

210lb log press I got 3rd in this event with 2 reps

Conans wheel 500lbs Did about 1 and a quarter revs

650lb tire flip 500lb sled drag medley did bad did not finish course in time

Truck pull 26 thousand pounds did not budge it, only one lightweight could break its inertia.

Axle deads 450. I did 4 STRICT reps on this. The bar had tires on the sides of it and my fellow competitors were bouncing the bar up and getting 10reps.
Not to be a sore loser but it was bs. Its called a deadlift for a reason.

Overall I got in 6th place so this event did not effect anything really.

This was a great experience. It was interesting to see the different backgrounds in which the athletes had.

Afterwards me and my fellow competitors went to pizzeria uno which was sponsoring the event and had some grub and a brew. Great times.

Until next time stay animal!

boar
08-27-07, 9:14 pm
Front squats 5x3 300lbs

zercher good mornings wu with bar 135 4x, 185 5x 205 5x, 8x

The front squats felt pretty solid. Really good depth. I took a wide stance and pointed my toes out. my right knee still knocks in a little bit.

I don't know how i hit 8reps on my last set of gm's. Must of been the pump....

Stay Animal!

boar
09-08-07, 3:21 pm
I hit 435 today in squats which is a pr. After that my workout is as follows...

super set

lounges with bar locked out overhead
135 3x5

good mornings
185 3x5

Gravity boots
super set of various crunches

My training has been taken to new levels. I am training with world class lifters Vinncent Dizenzo, T.T, Matt Rhodes, etc. I'll keep you animals updated on my progress.

Stay Animal!

BEASTOFRAGE
09-08-07, 9:06 pm
your only get stronger from here brother! keep it up!
TB

boar
09-09-07, 7:03 pm
Thanks brute! i'm strict powerlifting until the summer so I'm just gonna get bigger!

boar
10-31-07, 12:54 am
Whats good fellow animals....

Haven't posted for a while because I have been caught up with school and all.

I did platform deads today. I stood just outside of the squat platform and also put plates underneath my feet. Instead of the bar touching my shins, the bar was just above my foot. Two of my buddies did the workout with me. Its more exciting to watch other people with you go through the same workout.

Here are my digits for the workout...

warm ups singles from 225-365 with 50 pound jumps.

405 4x3 then hit 1x5 last rep was ugly, hitched and did everything wrong. I thought if i didn't do the rep, someone else out there was training harder then me. I have to be humble and learn not to sacrifice form for gratification....

After this I hit some dumbell rows, some lat pull down work with pullups in between.

Until next time stay animal!

boar
11-23-07, 9:52 pm
I was able to go up to tps because I was on school break. Havent done any strongman in a while so it was interesting. Here are the numbers....

Farmers walks 60-70ft roughly

warm ups back and forth with turn 24lb implements, 114, 164 205 had to drop, turn around and readjust.

I then put 2 plates and a quarter on each implement which made each of them 254lbs. My first run at it was somewhat unstable I fell a few feet short of my target. I then regrouped, rewrapped my wrists, chalked up and then had a flawless 60ft-70ft run with it.

I tried this weight last summer and I could not budge them. My rack pull training has really carried over to strongman.

I then did stones. This was interesting. I usually can hit the 245 stones for reps but I struggled to do even one. I then tried to hit a series 160, 175, 245, 305. I could not budge the 305 but last summer I was able to almost get it. I guess something has to give if you don't train for a certain thing for a while.

I then hit speed 12" log press's at 145 for 5x3.

Thats it for now but there sure is more to come....

boar
12-01-07, 6:25 pm
Had one of my best training days ever met g diesel, ox, Vin and many others from the animalpak team! It was awesome to see others dedicated to our lifestyle all in one gym at the same time.

I also had the pleasure to work out with young and hungry who is on the forum.

I hit some huge Pr's today here are the numbers!

Squats wu bar to 365
405 2x
425 2x
both of these are pr's

Rack pullz
wu
bar to 405

495 3x
545 2x
600 big PR! hitched the hell out of it but its heavy! Puked in my mouth on the way up almost spewed it out. I was then motioning that I was going to puke and my fellow animals were telling me just to youke on the floor. I found a trash barrel and they all thought it was great.

Hope to meet others from the animal pak world! Until next time stay animal!

Young&Hungry
12-01-07, 6:47 pm
Sick session today Boar, and you didn't hitch 600 that bad! Definately gave me some motivation to train even harder. Wish I had went up to 475 but I'll take 455 and run. I'd be down to meet up with you at Southside a couple times a month to train, you up for it?

boar
12-01-07, 7:25 pm
Sick session today Boar, and you didn't hitch 600 that bad! Definately gave me some motivation to train even harder. Wish I had went up to 475 but I'll take 455 and run. I'd be down to meet up with you at Southside a couple times a month to train, you up for it?

You know i'm down to powerlift. Keep eating skinny!

Young&Hungry
12-01-07, 9:43 pm
You know i'm down to powerlift. Keep eating skinny!

Looks like I'll have to have the whole dozen tomorrow instead of the usual six eggs, maybe the entire economy sized box of oats? I'm about 150 pounds away from Rhodestown so I've got my work cut out for me.

daninarmy
12-01-07, 11:11 pm
very impresive

Pizzalamp
12-02-07, 9:13 pm
boar
it was great to meet u
u were damn impressive and very motivating to be around
and next time ill make sure to introduce myself as grant lol

boar
12-27-07, 7:29 pm
Haven't posted my workouts for a while but here we go again! here are the #'s..

fat bar clean and presses
wu w/ just bar-135ish

185ish 5, 3x3, 8x

I hit max reps my last set. I superseted that with handstand pushups. These really hit the traps. went 4x3.

Did some bent rows with the same weight that I did for the presses for 4x5.

Then I went for a max standing overhead dumbell press. I hit 80, 90, 100, 110 with no problem. Hit 120 with my left hand with no problem. I'm right handed. I struggled to get it with my right. This is because your opposite side is a huge factor in one arm presses.

I then hit 20 dips and 11 millitary pullups. I hung with my inversion boots and did 5 crunches.

Thats it and till next time stay animal!

Pizzalamp
12-29-07, 12:03 am

wu w/ just bar-135ish

185ish 5, 3x3, 8x

I hit max reps my last set. I superseted that with handstand pushups. These really hit the traps. went 4x3.

Then I went for a max standing overhead dumbell press. I hit 80, 90, 100, 110 with no problem. Hit 120 with my left hand with no problem. I'm right handed. I struggled to get it with my right. This is because your opposite side is a huge factor in one arm presses.

I then hit 20 dips and 11 millitary pullups. I hung with my inversion boots and did 5 crunches.

looking good bro
those handstand pushups are hard as hell

Young&Hungry
01-01-08, 7:56 pm

wu w/ just bar-135ish

185ish 5, 3x3, 8x

Sick stuff brother, the fat bar and the handstand pushups sound brutal. Good news in the fact that I've got all this Christmas money and I'm getting some stuff from EliteFTS, so I may get some ammonia with that order. How bout crackin' those bitches open at the next ABC? Going for 405 on deads from the floor now that I've got appropriate shoes, although that'll pale in comparison to your 565.

boar
01-04-08, 10:50 pm
Sick stuff brother, the fat bar and the handstand pushups sound brutal. Good news in the fact that I've got all this Christmas money and I'm getting some stuff from EliteFTS, so I may get some ammonia with that order. How bout crackin' those bitches open at the next ABC? Going for 405 on deads from the floor now that I've got appropriate shoes, although that'll pale in comparison to your 565.

I wouldnt mess with ammonia too much but its cool that you have some money to get some gear.

405 is very impressive at your age and size. I didn't even know how to deadlift when I was your age.

I'm training at golds tomorrow if you want to meet me their at 12. catch you on the flipside.

Young&Hungry
01-04-08, 10:56 pm
I wouldnt mess with ammonia too much but its cool that you have some money to get some gear.

405 is very impressive at your age and size. I didn't even know how to deadlift when I was your age.

I'm training at golds tomorrow if you want to meet me their at 12. catch you on the flipside.

Yeah I understand it's for max attempts only. Tomorrow I'm off because I've been lifting on a crazy schedule, but I am doing my ME Lower stuff on Sunday afternoon. I will be messing with the chains a bit with suspended squats and rack pulls from a low pin. If you are still down for a Sunday session let me know. Sorry about messing up your schedule if you still wanna hit it together.

boar
01-04-08, 10:58 pm
This is usually my max effort bench day at southside but I am currently in mass for the winter break. I had a 6 day layoff from lifting but rock climbed last sunday and tuesday. I have not done anything for the past few days I have some respiratory bug thats giving me congestion and sore throat.

I still had some symptoms tonight but felt well enough to workout.

Enough about that crap here are the stats

speed incline press
225 5x3
275 2x2 last set rep was not speed material

standing one arm dumbell press
100lb 4x, 3x3 each hand

supersetted w/
one arm dumbell row 100lbs
3x5, 6x

Then hit cable crossovers 3x10 and pullups 3x10

I held the whole stack on the cables to simulate hercules hold for 30seconds or so.

Hit the bike for 10minutes.

Not a bad workout for being still a little sick. Until next time stay animal!

boar
01-07-08, 9:04 pm
Had a solid workout today. I did cleans, overhead press out of the rack, and I played with my kettlebell. Here are the stats...

Barbell clean, wu bar to 205 ez

225 little ugly but got it to chest good
245 ugliest clean ever continental cleaned it with a barbell. was still a pr and I am a strongman so I can get away with it.

Standing overhead press: I took the bar w/ 205 off the ground and put it on the rack. Took the bar out of the rack at chest level for press..
205 1x3
225, 245, 265 for singles
285 pr! then tried 305 almost got it twice. Then I took off a ten and added a nickel and a baby plate to make it 300. I got back under the bar and pressed the shit out of the bar! Held it at extension for 5-10sec then made a scene and dropped the bar but I didnt get kicked out!

I then played with my 72lb russian kettlebell hit snatches and clean and press both 3x5.

Great workout fellow animals and more are sure to come. Until then stay animal!

Pizzalamp
01-07-08, 9:10 pm
Had a solid workout today. I did cleans, overhead press out of the rack, and I played with my kettlebell. Here are the stats...

Barbell clean, wu bar to 205 ez

225 little ugly but got it to chest good
245 ugliest clean ever continental cleaned it with a barbell. was still a pr and I am a strongman so I can get away with it.

Standing overhead press: I took the bar w/ 205 off the ground and put it on the rack. Took the bar out of the rack at chest level for press..
205 1x3
225, 245, 265 for singles
285 pr! then tried 305 almost got it twice. Then I took off a ten and added a nickel and a baby plate to make it 300. I got back under the bar and pressed the shit out of the bar! Held it at extension for 5-10sec then made a scene and dropped the bar but I didnt get kicked out!

I then played with my 72lb russian kettlebell hit snatches and clean and press both 3x5.

Great workout fellow animals and more are sure to come. Until then stay animal!

great man
that overhead press really caught my eye some really impressive numbers!

boar
01-07-08, 11:07 pm
Thanks pizza that is the most overlooked upper body exercises in my opinion. You see everyone bench but not too many people locking out more then 2 bills overhead.

boar
01-10-08, 11:08 am
Here is last nights training session. I squatted last night because I am doing an event day saturday. I usually ME squat on saturdays. Here is the workout....

Front squats 5x3 225,245,275,295,315.
keystones: wu 135-315 3-5x work sets 2x3 365,405, 3x3 at 455
did reverse hypers and leg extension machine both 3x10
then did some inversion boot crunches +25 6x, burnout 12xcrunches
side bends 1x6

I had no problem hitting 3reps for each weight at front squats. I just wanted to hit some volume work. Never have done keystones before. These took alot out of me. There a good exercise. Until next time stay animal!

boar
01-18-08, 10:43 pm
Squats

Had to walk out of the rack with it. I get spoiled when I get used to using the mono. Here are the #'s

warm up bar-365 50lb jumps
work sets
405 5x pr! smoked all of them
425 pr! last rep dug it out.

rack pullz 135-315 warm up 3x5
405 3x, 455 3x 500 3x3

kettlebell swings 5,10
snatches 2x5

boots

new exercize
upside down rows 1x10 135lb bar
5 crunches

I called it a day after that. I got upside down and a bar was sitting below me so I picked it up and started doing rows. Then I put a plate on each side and banged out ten. It was ridiculous hanging upside down doing rows. Good stuff. Until next time stay animal!

Pizzalamp
01-18-08, 10:53 pm
Squats

Had to walk out of the rack with it. I get spoiled when I get used to using the mono. Here are the #'s

warm up bar-365 50lb jumps
work sets
405 5x pr! smoked all of them
425 pr! last rep dug it out.

rack pullz 135-315 warm up 3x5
405 3x, 455 3x 500 3x3

kettlebell swings 5,10
snatches 2x5

boots

new exercize
upside down rows 1x10 135lb bar
5 crunches

I called it a day after that. I got upside down and a bar was sitting below me so I picked it up and started doing rows. Then I put a plate on each side and banged out ten. It was ridiculous hanging upside down doing rows. Good stuff. Until next time stay animal!

nice bro
sick rack pulls and that pr is great
too bad u cant make it tomm u will def be missed
peace

Young&Hungry
01-18-08, 10:59 pm
Great work today Nick. Really like the kettlebell stuff, good way to get some extra explosiveness and to stay away from the machines. Those rows upside down are insane, I freakin' hate the gravity boots alone. In your last workout, what are the keystone exercise you mentioned? Something for strongman?

Funny stuff about the monolift, I am gonna be doing some squats with decently heavy chain weight tomorrow so I will try to see if anyone will be willing to help me get a ghetto monolift going in the power rack with the pins.

boar
01-21-08, 5:30 pm
Great work today Nick. Really like the kettlebell stuff, good way to get some extra explosiveness and to stay away from the machines. Those rows upside down are insane, I freakin' hate the gravity boots alone. In your last workout, what are the keystone exercise you mentioned? Something for strongman?

Funny stuff about the monolift, I am gonna be doing some squats with decently heavy chain weight tomorrow so I will try to see if anyone will be willing to help me get a ghetto monolift going in the power rack with the pins.

keystones are like reverse rack pullz. You take the bar at hip level and lower like a stiff legged but only go down to below your knee caps.

boar
02-04-08, 9:52 pm
yo fellows in the iron game,

I am on a cut and so far feel good. going no carbs except for breakfast. Here are th digits for todays workout.

Standing overhead push press
225 3x, 2x,
235 2x
245 2x, my elbows were killing me. I think I might be developing mild tendi but I still had to bench.

Decline bench press
225 3x, 275 3x, 295 3x, 315 3x, 325 3x, 335 3x big pr

super set t bar rows 5 plates to 5 plates and a 25 and bent rows 205 2 sets and 225 last set. Couldnt keep track of reps because I am not used to counting above 5.

standing lat pull and supinated grip lat pull. elbows started bothering me.

boots
17 crunches ill pr!

2 lap sprint 1/9 mile around the track

Yo bros, I am feeling good on a cut. no carbs tomorrow is going to suck. until then stay animal!

Young&Hungry
02-04-08, 9:59 pm
Looks good Nick, that push press looks sharp as usual. Make sure to get your unsaturated fats in throughout the day if you're taking the no carb approach, your body's gotta be running off something and you don't want it to be your protein. Nice job with the boots, I think I only got like 5 crunches in those fuckin things? Hahaha, good work here. Best of luck on the cut.

boar
02-10-08, 9:57 pm
Some who know would have never expected me to do cardio but I am. I only had 50 carbs today all in my oats and yogurt.

I had a sick workout with YH yesterday see his post and my legs were shot before walking onto the track tonight. Heres the workout gentleman.

Our track at qu is about 200 meters. I did six lap sprints and in between each lap I hit some ill body lifts. I can't just straight run I gotta at least move around my own body weight. Here is what I did...

5 handstand pushups. blood rushed to my head and immediatly after I hit the track at ridiculous speed for someone at 231 pounds.

10 clap pushups
8 pullups
10 millitary pullups
6 handstand pushups
ended it with 10 clap pushups

I couldn't breath on my last lap but I still went 100 percent the last 100 meters. It was mind over matter at this point. I remembered how I died out and just missed finishing at my last strongman show on the 650 tire flip and 550 sled drag medley. I was the only competitor not able to finish the course in 1:30sec.

So my message to all is to take your shortcomings and use it for motivation. Until next time, stay animal.

Big Wides
02-10-08, 10:01 pm
just stumbled upon your log bro, very impressive your one strong cat

Young&Hungry
02-10-08, 10:16 pm
Like that cardio session brother, non-mouse wheel cardio and calistenics are so overlooked these days. Gotta get those aerobic capacities in check for strongman. I've been on a real fucked up schedule so tomorrow it's ME Squat/DE Olympic, Tuesday is DE Bench, Thursday is ME Olympic/DE Squat, and Saturday is ME Bench. If you can hit any of those days up with me except Monday's session call me up brother.

boar
02-10-08, 10:24 pm
just stumbled upon your log bro, very impressive your one strong cat

Like that cardio session brother, non-mouse wheel cardio and calistenics are so overlooked these days. Gotta get those aerobic capacities in check for strongman. I've been on a real fucked up schedule so tomorrow it's ME Squat/DE Olympic, Tuesday is DE Bench, Thursday is ME Olympic/DE Squat, and Saturday is ME Bench. If you can hit any of those days up with me except Monday's session call me up brother.

Thanks big wides. You have been a good mentor to yh. He speaks highly of you.

YH, thats a crazy lifting schedule. extremely demanding and unfortunately I am not going to be lifting on tuesday thursdays. I am thinking about going back to mass this weekend but if not we can hit up golds and do our own thing. I ll let you know whats good on thursday.

boar
02-11-08, 11:19 pm
Did some dynamic push presses today.

hit 185 3x3. My elbows started throbbing but I wanted to ME incline press.

Worked up to 275 single and that killed. I could barely get the plates off the bar my elbows throbbed so bad.

I was contemplating calling it a day but I thought fuck it try to do something else.

Hit bent over rows with 225 3x5 and a couple of sets at 275 for triples.

I then found a solid standing tbar platform lift at the gym. Hit mad sets with 4plates and 5 plates. Didn't feel a good muscle mind connection but I was lifting alot so it didnt bother me. Then I hit lat pull downs 3x5 seated while I was waiting for the cables.

Hit some cable pec flies for 2x10.

Then it was time for the hercules hold simulation. Put the pin through the whole stack on each side which was 200lbs.

I then pulled both sides and had my elbows half flexed. My elbows ended up touching my lats. I held it for what felt like an eternity but it was 35 seconds.

After that I was in alot of pain. My elbows throbbed a little earliers but then my whole arms throbbed with pain. Kinda had to lean against the post until I could bare to walk.

Painful workouts always test a man mentally. You can always walk away from a workout or man up and perservere. I chose the latter.

Until next time stay animal.

Young&Hungry
02-11-08, 11:24 pm
Strong shit brother, I'm fuckin' jealous of that overhead power! Good rows, good everything today. Have you read this article, Westside for Strongmen (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/strongman_and_westside_training.htm)? Saw it and you came to mind. Take care of those elbows, ice 'em, sleeve 'em, lighten up a little bit or something - just keep working hard as always. You might want to stay away from the dynamic work and just hit up some upper assistance or something.

BTW, I'm on February vacation next week so any day you feel like hitting up at Gold's or elsewhere around 6-8 P.M. let me know. Maybe you could take a trip down to Globo Gym and we can burn the place to the ground? Hahaha who knows bro.

boar
02-11-08, 11:31 pm
I'm probably going to start hitting golds gym mondays at 5ish and wenesdays around 8 for my gym workouts. I was training with a frosh at qu gym but he was tied up today. I am going to try to drag him to golds with me so he can experience a real gym. That same old powerlifter guy came up to me and started gabbing about the old days when I was doing my overheads today.

I love golds in nh. Best commercial gym I have been to. Mad old school powerlifters and some bodybuilders in the mix too.

Bro I gotta do some hw for my 8am class tomorrow. I am looking forward to smashing some barbells around next week with you. catch you on the flipside.

boar
02-11-08, 11:42 pm
Yo carlos,

The guy CJ Murphy that wrote the article owns TPS in Everett. Thats where I train out of in the summer.

boar
02-18-08, 12:22 am
Slept in on Saturday and did my squats tonight. Here it goes.

Squat wu 135-315
365 5x. Got 3x with same breath but then exhaled.
405 5x went the deepest on the last rep

Rack pullz
wu 135-585
635 got half way then got pissed. my boy was trying to ask me something and I told him stfu. Took off the quarters, put on tens then ran up and pulled 625 at knee height! big pr.

Hit shrugs
405 10x
455 5x

Side note. My boy greg pr'ed and squatted 405. Good shit. I get more pumped up to see my boys do well.

Until next time stay animal. I m signing off.....

boar
02-22-08, 9:28 pm
Did reverse bands tonight. here are the numbers
365 3x
405 3x
455 2x, 1x
365 5x3x

This felt awesome. never touched more then 365 on bench.

incline rows 3plates quarter 2x5 drop sets 3p 2p 5,10
tricep push downs lost count

pullups wide 3x5, millitary dumbell curls 45's lost count 60's 4x 70's 3x

This was a solid workout. The sfw crew wasn't there tonight but I got to do something that i have never down before.

Im going to get some wings. till next time stay animal!

Big Wides
02-22-08, 9:45 pm
Im going to get some wings. till next time stay animal!

that is prime PWO food there if i've ever seen a thing.....love downing wings after a hard earned session

BEASTOFRAGE
03-02-08, 10:59 am
strong work bro!
TB

boar
03-02-08, 8:46 pm
strong work bro!
TB

Thanks TB. I have a raw meet tomorrow so I'll post my new pr's!

boar
03-05-08, 7:43 pm
Had a non-sanctioned pl meet on monday.

I got to the locker room at 3ish to give myself plenty of time to chill in the lockerroom and do all the preworkout stuff I needed to do. I felt more comfortable getting there 2 hours early then pacing around my house.

Got into the gym at 4 and started my warmups. After taking a week off I was ridiculously flexible.

Now on to my squat warmup.

Squats were feeling great but a dizzy spell came over me. got under 315 did it for 4x all in one breath, 5min later 365 3x one breath.

I then hit 405 for a solid single. felt like a loff of bread.

Another kid came that was also doing the meet and I let him hit his warmups.

I took my opener 455 like nothing.
2nd attempt: 500 felt heavy on the way down but smoked it.
3rd attempt: 550. Quite embarrassing but I walked out of the rack and it immediatly buried me. too much weight.

In the meantime the committee running the meet and I talked three of the strongest bodybuilders in the gym to compete.

They started squatting which gave me a break before bench. All of them hit in the low 400's which is solid for there close stance squat.

Onto bench. only hit two warmups at 225 and 315.
1st attempt: 365 got stuck halfway up and three quarters of the way there but managed to get it up.

called it a day on bench. had a big pull to hit.

The three bodybuilders brian, dave, and jon all pulled well. Jon and brian both pulled in the mid 400's and crazy dave hit a huge 25lb pr at 500.

Before this I took my first attempt at 545 for an eazy pull. I was concerned because I felt that I had laxity on the bar with my arms.

I fed off of daves energy for my 6plate 585 attempt.

I stood there for a while closed my eyes and envisioned the pull. threw my hat off then ran up to the bar and started off with a good pull. I thought I was going to drop the bar but I succeeded to complete the most ridiculous hitch. I rested the bar on my lower quads which felt like an eternity; I then regripped and just barely locked it out.

I was so pumped afterwards that I joined crazy dave and jon in part of their chest workout.

This was the rest of the workout.
incline dumbells 100's 6reps
superset skullz/milli curls 115 10,6/ 60's 2x6
decline bench 275 9x
dips 15x
inversion boots 8reps

On that note I appreciate anyone who stuck it out and read my whole post. Until next time stay animal!

Young&Hungry
03-07-08, 2:21 pm
Two PRs sure as hell ain't bad Nick! New you'd represent properly and smash some fucking weight, way to go. Inspiring shit, makes me wanna get on the platform. Just to let you know we're having an ABC on the 5th of April, I put ya on the list but just pop in and confirm if you can make it.

boar
03-10-08, 7:42 pm
Two PRs sure as hell ain't bad Nick! New you'd represent properly and smash some fucking weight, way to go. Inspiring shit, makes me wanna get on the platform. Just to let you know we're having an ABC on the 5th of April, I put ya on the list but just pop in and confirm if you can make it.

Observent of you to notice my two pr's in deads and squats. I ll drop a line on the ct abc.

boar
03-10-08, 7:58 pm
before I post here is the link to the derek poundstones performance in the event. If you listen carefully you can hear me clearly say "lets go derek" at the 52-54 seconds into it. I did 150lb lighter stone but its a start.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4jU-KyU1KM

Husafell stone warm ups
30 foot runs 135, 185, 213

250 granite husafell stone. 2sets of 60 feet

log clean and press

warm up 12 inch bar 91lbs
145 3x
191 2x3
211 3x PR

tried to do the kazmier press but it turns into a stric press which is not my strong point. I am better with a leg drive.

log rows 191 3x5

log curls 145 2x5, 8x

weighted vest body rows alot, pullups 5,3, bw 8x

did some kettlebell strict presses 2 pood 5x each arm.

I was spent at this point and I went to the boston garden to watch my high school play in the championship game. did not feel too good did not get PW meals in. I lived though and till next time stay animal.

boar
03-17-08, 8:50 am
Most absurd superset I have ever done. I started off hitting 3 speed squat sets before I hit my first work set for stones. Here are the digits.

Speed low box squats
315 5x2 Initially getting off box slow but powered through the rest of the rep

Stones wu 175, 200
work sets 265 stone w/ tacky
3x2, 1x got pissed I couldnt do another one. I don't like being defeated by an inaminate object so I retackied and got the double that could only satisfy me.

Did another superset.
prone leg press machine 2plates 3x10
one arm kettlebell swings 95 2x5, 72lbs 1x5.

boar
03-17-08, 3:57 pm
Had the pleasure of training alongside w/ Evan today. I was doing floor presses while he was cranking out 495 on squat ass to grass for 8x, 7x. He's bulked up to 280 and still looking lean. Another inspiring thing during my workout was I saw an older gentleman training with a younger kid. This guy was lifting while using an oxygen tank. I had to shake his hand and tell him he was a warrior.

Anyways here are the digits

floor press
265 3x3 275 1x3, 285 1x3

incline 275 3x3

weighted vest plus 35
pullups 3x5 dips 15, 10, 8

cable flies and raises shitload.

Then did hercules hold on cables w/ 200 stack and called it a day.

It was a pleasure training next to evan he told me alot of wise advise about training. until then stay animal!

Young&Hungry
03-17-08, 11:21 pm
Glad to see ya got to train with Ox bro that's an experience for sure. 280 and ripped I can only imagine. I've seen that guy with the oxygen tank, he's there all the time and really exemplifies what Animal's all about. Those floor presses look strong brother, and that speed squat/stone superset upsets my stomach just reading it. Great work Nick makes me proud.

boar
03-18-08, 6:04 pm
Glad to see ya got to train with Ox bro that's an experience for sure. 280 and ripped I can only imagine. I've seen that guy with the oxygen tank, he's there all the time and really exemplifies what Animal's all about. Those floor presses look strong brother, and that speed squat/stone superset upsets my stomach just reading it. Great work Nick makes me proud.

Thanks for dropping a line on my journey i ll be sure to keep up with your progress also.

boar
03-25-08, 6:04 pm
Started the day off with some standing push press.
warm up bar 10x
135 3x
185 3x
work sets 225,235,245 5x
255 4x each rep was a struggle.

bent rows 225 8x 275 3x5

skulls/milli dumbell curl 90 3x8 and 60's 3x5

superset pullups weighted vest 3x5 reg grip 2x5 rev grip
handstand pushups bw 3,3,2,2

pretty solid workout. nothing special. I'm going to pull from the floor for volume tnight. will update. until next time stay animal!

Young&Hungry
03-25-08, 9:00 pm
Was just looking at those handstand pushups, insane! Do you do them freestanding or balancing off a wall? Either way that's a sick display of athleticism bro. Solid session push presses look great.

boar
03-26-08, 9:22 am
Usually lift on wenesdays for Dynamic LB but this gives me two days rest before ME bench on Friday night and ME squat Saturday morning.

Here are the stats

Deads wu 225-405
405 3x
455 2x
500 4x

First two reps were clean but the last two I hitched the shit out of them.

72lb kettlebell swings
2x8 each hand
snatches 1x3
cleans 1x5

shrugs 495 6x, 4x bad grip
405 10,12,8x
drop set 315 10x

did some cable work for back.

inversion boot crunches 5x5 side bands 4x8 with kettlebell.

Was happy about my pull. I have never done more then one rep with that weight. Usually only pull once every five weeks from the floor. Stay animal!

BTW: just ordered my animal jersey today!

boar
03-26-08, 9:23 am
Was just looking at those handstand pushups, insane! Do you do them freestanding or balancing off a wall? Either way that's a sick display of athleticism bro. Solid session push presses look great.

thanks carlos! I do the handstands against the wall. I have done 11 consecutive but my traps were shot.

Pizzalamp
03-26-08, 9:34 am
strong workout...im not surprised...cant wait for the 5th

enjoy that jersey

boar
04-03-08, 8:46 pm
Haven't posted in a lil bit. heres my most recent workout.

cleans

warm ups bar, 135,155,185 3x
work sets 4x3 at 205

most reps felt pretty manageable.

I then was in the mood to do something unconventional. the continental clean. I got 265 right above my belt and cleaned and pressed it from there. It was ugly but I got the job done for a ten pound pr.

bent rows
225,245,275 5x 295 3x
315 5x
never rowed more then 275 before. my back and traps are getting stronger. my bent row is better then my 315 bench. I don't know if thats good or not.

did 10 kb swings each hand.

did farmers hold with 200lb dumbells for 26 seconds. The pick up from the ground is hard to maintain grip.

Thats it for now. I am anxiously waiting for my jersey but i know its going to take a while. until next time stay animal.

boar
04-09-08, 11:44 pm
wats good fellow animals

doin a big cheat meal bacon cheeseburger after this shake. here are the stats for tonights workout.

snatches 3x3 135, 145, 155 respectively
175 single 185 25lb pr!
200 up to forehead

good snatchin tonight. just couldn't snap it up over my head with 200.

super set bent row not strict tbar strict with a squeeze at the top
315 3x3 and 5 plates 2x5, 8x

did some crucifix curls with pullups in between both 5x5

did the hercules hold simulation with cables 270 on each side for about 25 seconds.

feeling amped about this workout and others to come. until then stay animal!

NickSP
04-10-08, 12:06 am
So big man's got a journey huh...could use some tips for strength.

subbed

boar
04-10-08, 1:28 am
So big man's got a journey huh...could use some tips for strength.

subbed

Thanks for droppin by. I liked the back workout you guys did at the ABC and it motivated me to blast it tonight!

Big Wides
04-10-08, 10:20 am
nice snatches you did there.....once its up at the head level its all about sinking....you'll get it

Also saw some vids from the CT ABC....your one big dude and strong as hell

boar
04-10-08, 4:21 pm
nice snatches you did there.....once its up at the head level its all about sinking....you'll get it

Also saw some vids from the CT ABC....your one big dude and strong as hell

Thanks big wides for the props. Yea I was not able to get my head underneath the bar. the strength is there but technique is not.

Young&Hungry
04-10-08, 8:20 pm
Solid snatches I see, o-lifts are great for strongmen. Jesse Marunde was a national competitor before switching to strongman and he still had an olympic day before he passed. I got April break next week, wanna train? Monday is max floor presses, Wednesday speed squatting and lowers, Thursday dynamic uppers, and Saturday max cleans. Let me know when and where's best for ya brother. Stay strong!

boar
04-11-08, 7:47 pm
Did my fourth max effort day this week since saturday. Just realized this fact after my workout. here are the stats.

Floor presses lying flat.
225 3x
245 5x, 1x
265, 285, 305 singles
315 ME single.

Had some issues with the rack heights but got through it. I'm satisfied with that press with no leg drive.

incline dumbells
100's 5x, 110's 2x4

wasn't happy with these digits but was spent from before

then did some behind the head dumbell tricep work and diamond pushups in between.

I then ended my workout with some cable flies and millitary pullups.

did ten minutes on the treadmill after that.

Usually do max effort bench at southside but I needed to do my own thing today. Going to ME squat with the southside boys tomorrow....

boar
04-16-08, 7:42 pm
Decided to do hang cleans today. here are the digits.

135 5x
185 blah needed to do more wu
155 1x, 175 1x
185 2x3, 1x

was bringing the bar to knee level then cleaning it. Felt good getting under the bar better.

bent rows
225 5x
275 1x
315 5x, 335 5x, 365 4x not strict but pr
drop set to 275 10x, 225 10x

drop set felt awesome. cheated a little on 365 but its big weight.

reverse hyper machine
2plates and a 1/4 3x5

super set kettlebell swings 72lbs/ one arm dumbell row 100's
5,8,8 on each hand/ 3x5 each hand

at this point it was painful to walk around but blocked it out. Then hung upside down for a little while. Its empowering to be able to block out pain and fatigue. I have been doing well with that lately for some reason. As many have said, the body gives out when the mind gives out or something like that. Thats it and until next time stay animal!

IRONADDICT45
04-16-08, 8:09 pm
NICK (BOAR) is a good buddy of mine from back home and truly does exemplify training and handling himself like an animal should...the first time i saw him take me up on my invite to train at my gym which is crawling with npc bodybuilders, and some strong ass cats i walked back (on my off day just to check the scene and see who needs a spot and just to be there, you know how it is...) and i see this crazy bastard BOAR pullin from the floor like hes gonna die tommorow and people are staring and i instanly yell to encourage him and he killed it...this kid kills it every time, even if his workout "sucks" its a balls to the wall effort and he leaves no stone unturned...(cuz hed pick it up if it was in his way)...hes a freak strongman who can powerlift with the best of em and on more than one occasion after either one of us sees each other after we have thrown up a few thousand calories we just smile and nod and have said "..yup, just another day at the office" all the while our training partners are like dude, you guys are fuckin tapped.....incorrect terminology folks, NICK IS ANIMAL TO THE FULLEST AND HOLDS IT DOWN ALL UP THE EAST COAST...see you soon NICK keep me posted on your shows, will and I would love to go loose our voices for ya bro....keep doin what we do proudly

boar
04-16-08, 8:31 pm
NICK (BOAR) is a good buddy of mine from back home and truly does exemplify training and handling himself like an animal should...the first time i saw him take me up on my invite to train at my gym which is crawling with npc bodybuilders, and some strong ass cats i walked back (on my off day just to check the scene and see who needs a spot and just to be there, you know how it is...) and i see this crazy bastard BOAR pullin from the floor like hes gonna die tommorow and people are staring and i instanly yell to encourage him and he killed it...this kid kills it every time, even if his workout "sucks" its a balls to the wall effort and he leaves no stone unturned...(cuz hed pick it up if it was in his way)...hes a freak strongman who can powerlift with the best of em and on more than one occasion after either one of us sees each other after we have thrown up a few thousand calories we just smile and nod and have said "..yup, just another day at the office" all the while our training partners are like dude, you guys are fuckin tapped.....incorrect terminology folks, NICK IS ANIMAL TO THE FULLEST AND HOLDS IT DOWN ALL UP THE EAST COAST...see you soon NICK keep me posted on your shows, will and I would love to go loose our voices for ya bro....keep doin what we do proudly

Yo Tommy,

Good to see you active on the boards again. I wish you had a journey that I could drop a line like that on. Thanks for the good words no one could say it better then you. You inspire me on a daily basis by your ethic in the gym and how you present yourself outside the gym. You taught me a valuable lesson that although we train harder then the average joe, that it doesnt make us any better then them. You exemplify that by treating everyone at bayshore with the same respect. Everyone I talk to there knows you and always has great things to say about you. You know how to light a fire under my ass and also keep Will motivated and on track for his bodybuilding endeavors. Thanks for stopping by my journey and can't wait to train with you over the summer. I ll be back home in a month or so...

Pizzalamp
04-16-08, 11:37 pm
u get the jersey yet?

boar
04-17-08, 5:00 pm
no man did you order one too?

boar
04-22-08, 12:25 am
Just got down icing my elbows and slurping down my post shake. here is why I had to ice...
standing overhead barbell press
wu bar 10x
135 5x
185 3x
225 3x
245 2x, 265 2x, 285 2x PR
290 1x

wanted to get 290 for a double but just wasn't happening. my legs were jellow for the dip drive.

superset barbell shrugs/ 72lb kettlebell overhead press
315 5x, 405 5x, 495 3x, 4x, 545 4x,4x,3x. burnout 405 15x/ 4x5 kb press

cable flies with big chest squeeze 2x6
pullups 5,7

Golds was closing up so thats all I could cram in. got all my assistance work done in 10-15min. Stay animal.

Pizzalamp
04-22-08, 12:33 am
crazy stuff bro...your standing press caught my eye...solid job...nah i didnt order a jersey

boar
04-22-08, 12:42 am
Just about to eat some bison meat. last cheat meal until going on a cut. got back up to 240 and need to be 230 for my competitions....

boar
04-22-08, 12:43 am
crazy stuff bro...your standing press caught my eye...solid job...nah i didnt order a jersey

Yea thats my favorite press man. thanks for the props.

boar
04-22-08, 10:35 pm
Did some heavy barbell pulling from the ground tonight. here are the stats
425 5x
495, 515, 535 all doubles
555 single

wanted to hit 555 for a double but had to hitch for one rep. I had some older power lifters at golds lighting a fire under my ass. One of the guys was 60 some odd years old and still going 110%. fucking inspirational!

did some barbell rows
245 8x 295 8x, 335 6x

lost count of my sets and reps for lat pull downs and cable pull throughs. did something like 5x6 at various weights for each exercise.

My CNS is going to be shot after two heavy workouts back to back days. I gotta go sleep. Stay animal!

Big Wides
04-23-08, 12:21 pm
thats how you build a soild big back, nice job on the pulls, all sick as hell. those rows are damn impressive as well. rest up and eat up bro, you've earned it

boar
04-23-08, 3:50 pm
thats how you build a soild big back, nice job on the pulls, all sick as hell. those rows are damn impressive as well. rest up and eat up bro, you've earned it

Thanks big wides. 2 days off and i ll be able to go right back at it.

boar
04-26-08, 1:18 pm
Did some box squats at elite with the southside crew.
315 5x5 off of a low box.

was going to just do light stuff but decided to rack pull. Did the rack pulls from mid knee height where I usually hitch from

bar-315 for reps
singles 405, 495, 585, 635 PR! then went for 675 bad idea. Felt a crack in my back after slightly pulling the bar up. Suffering from my mistake right now and icing. It could be worse but I have had a reoccurring sciatic injury since 2 and a half years ago after doing a deadlift all with my back. I should be able to shake it off in a couple days. Pain is a way that your body tells you that you did something stupid. In this case I did so take it from me when you hit a pr wether it be a 5lb pr or 90lb pr call it a day. Don't be stupid. Until then stay animal.

Pizzalamp
04-28-08, 7:48 pm
sick back workout a little while ago...crazy deads man...def motivating to me to read about

keep on rocking bro

boar
05-06-08, 9:21 pm
was outta comission after tweaking my back rack pulling. here are the stats

squat
bar alot
135 5x
225 3x
315 2x
365 1x, 405 6x depth ?? belt was too low cutting off rom

bench bar alot, 135 5x, 225 1x, 275 1x, 315 3x

it was hard to arch after squatting

lat pull down 3x8 various weights and tricep pushdowns 1x4, 1x8

pull throughs 2x10

farmers hold 200lb dumbells 30seconds

reverse hyper no weight, boots 10 crunches

felt like I did a meet today. Taking until friday off. Gotta get my wing feeding on...
stay animal. do what we do!

Pizzalamp
05-08-08, 12:31 am
those crazy holds u do!

IRONADDICT45
05-08-08, 7:28 pm
keep DOIN WHAT WE DO bro..hell yeah man

boar
05-09-08, 1:27 pm
if there is any stone left unturned then pick it up!

boar
05-20-08, 10:44 am
I had no internet access for a lil bit. I m going to strive to post all of my workouts at the forvm.

Did some uppers tonight. My first workout back in mass my boy tommy (ironaddict45) was there helping me out. kid really pushed me to the limit. blasted my back and chest last night.

declines
warmup 135, 225 5 or so reps
315, 325, 335 all for fives

bent row with a fat bar. don't know how much it weighed but i ll say it weighed as much as regular bar.

225 5x, 315 5x, 365 2x, 405 2x cheat reps but its alotta weight. went to burnout sets right after that 315 5x, 225 12x

did some strict tbar rows.
3 plates 2x15 serious squeeze

cable flies 2x8 squeezed the chest at the bottom pretty good.

did some pullups in between those sets

I could barely lift my gallon after this obliteration. Will post my strongman workout on wenesday. stay animal.

boar
05-21-08, 1:33 pm
Wanted to post my feasting frenzy at whole foods yesterday. They have a good buffet and here is how it all started.

Meal 1: 1 cup of oats with milk usually do yogurt and protein powder with this meal but did not have yogurt

Meal 2: 4 whole eggs couple pieces of bread

Meal 3: half a pound of salad, 1lb of general hsoa chicken mostly chicken but some broccoli

Meal 4: .6lb of cubed ground steak, sweet potatoe fries

in between: 2 ice cream sandwiches not clean I know

Meal 5: cup of oats, 12oz yogurt with scoop of probolic

Big is beautiful....

boar
05-21-08, 8:46 pm
just slurping down a shake right now. here are the #'s

speed deads mini bands.good resistance at the top

225 3x
275 5x3 All of these got pretty heavy at the top. The mini bands gave it atleast 150lbs of resistance.

tire flip woes
1 trip 60ft blah
2nd trip even uglier. need to be able to do 100ft by my show in august. its the type of event you just gotta do every week to get better at it.

log cleans 12 inch 91lb bar
bar, 145 3x
190 2x
240, 260pr, 270pr all singles 280 got up to sternum. spent from everything else.

super set reverse hyper and pronated ski leg press both 3x10

did some boot crunches plus 25 6x, 8x no weight.

Stoked to be back at tps and getting ready for the hudson valley strongman july 12 and tps stongman slam august 2nd.

Young&Hungry
05-22-08, 5:59 pm
Nice job with the ice cream sandwiches and General Tsao chicken fatman. Just kidding. That's a damn solid looking session you posted up, those cleans look legit as hell and the deads vs. mini's sounded brutal. I feel your pain with the tire flips, they're a lot harder than they look and 100ft is a long ass distance to flip. What's the weight of the tire at the competition? Glad to see you haven't missed a beat brother.

boar
05-22-08, 7:56 pm
Nice job with the ice cream sandwiches and General Tsao chicken fatman. Just kidding. That's a damn solid looking session you posted up, those cleans look legit as hell and the deads vs. mini's sounded brutal. I feel your pain with the tire flips, they're a lot harder than they look and 100ft is a long ass distance to flip. What's the weight of the tire at the competition? Glad to see you haven't missed a beat brother.

yea im trying not to get too fat because I gotta be 231 by july 12th. The tire in comp is 650 the one I train with. for some reason I do a split jerk with it which is bad. look up NAS strongmaninc.com if you want to check out some shows. you could do the tps one and enter in as a novice for shits and giggles its august 2nd. G luck w/ spring sessions man I gotta eat...

boar
05-22-08, 7:58 pm
axle bar 2inch seated pin presses just below chin.
135 4x5

skullz/curls 3x10

22 dips, 10 pullups. got my db chin above the bar for each pullup.

good quick solid workout. was beat up from yesterdays strongman workout. gotta suck down this shake before the celtics come one. Stay animal!

boar
05-27-08, 10:03 am
I usually don't do this but I'm posting saturdays workout on a tuesday.

Good mornings with safety squat bar
275, 315, 335 all triples

this primed my cns for some stones
220 stone 3x, 245 3x3, 265 1x3
some good volume. happy with speed, technique, did a good job lapping them. murph said
I needed to be more explosive at the top.

did some 60ft yoke trips
200ish 2 trip warmup
425 2 trips ez as hell
525 2 trips kinda shitty. not smooth at all. gotta do 600 something for a show coming up so as big wides says in his journey improvement is the only way.

hung with gravity boots to stretch out. I could barely walk sunday after caddying the whole weekend. very good gpp work carrying two 20lb golf bags for five miles. My body was not used to all the cardio but it should become a breeze come next week. stay animal.

boar
05-28-08, 11:18 am
standing overhead press with 1 inch fat bar
bar strict alot
175 3x
215 2x
255 1x, 275 1x, 285 1x, 305 close to lockout, 2nd attempt got it. 5lb pr

bent rows barbell super setted with dumbell row
255 3x10, 110 dumbell 3x5

dips 25 pullups 8

My overhead press was quite epic. after having it close to lockout. My elbows were overhead but still slightly bent. I felt like it was stuck up close to lockout for an eternity rebent my knees and made sure got head threw and held arms in straight lockout long enough to yell yea, fuck yea and then proceded to drop bar. thought I was going to get kicked out of athletic club but not that many people were around. previou pr was with standard barbell so I'm pretty damn psyched. stay animal.

boar
05-28-08, 9:38 pm
Conans wheel 1 rev each one
350, 540, 810 big pr came couple feet short of full rev. was carrying it low and the pavement humped up a little bit so it got caught up.

tire flips 650 bad tried to hit sets of triples but technique was off.

speed rack pullz just below knee 405 7x3

conditioning
sledge hammer swings 31lb 3x10 each side super setted with 62lb kb swings 3x5 each hand.

gravity boot crunches 10x then did the bike for cooldown.

Young&Hungry
05-28-08, 9:44 pm
Dude, you've had some pretty epic workouts nice fuckin' job. Really like the exercise selection you've had lately, safety bar GM's and stones sounds absolutely brutal. I also see a lot of bodyweight stuff - trying to get stronger with your own bodyweight? Good idea, I need to jump back on that bandwagon. Nice PR on the overheads too. Always a positive thing to say about your training bro, I can tell you're puttin in the work up in Mass...

Big Wides
05-28-08, 10:18 pm
keep training your ass of boar, def motovates the hell out of me knowing that there are strong ass hungry cats like yourself moving the world one session at a time

boar
05-29-08, 11:01 am
Dude, you've had some pretty epic workouts nice fuckin' job. Really like the exercise selection you've had lately, safety bar GM's and stones sounds absolutely brutal. I also see a lot of bodyweight stuff - trying to get stronger with your own bodyweight? Good idea, I need to jump back on that bandwagon. Nice PR on the overheads too. Always a positive thing to say about your training bro, I can tell you're puttin in the work up in Mass...

Thanks carlos. Yea I'm trying to mix it up but I have neglected doing squats though. going to do some band squats saturday with stones see how that works out. Loving the strongman stuff but the tire needs improvement

keep training your ass of boar, def motovates the hell out of me knowing that there are strong ass hungry cats like yourself moving the world one session at a time

Thanks for the props big wides. I quoted your journey title in one of my posts above.

boar
06-01-08, 12:40 am
had only 30 min to train.

squats fat bar
175,255,345,395 triples

axle clean 175, 235 triples

wanted to do more but had to go to work. big workout coming up this monday...

boar
06-02-08, 10:43 pm
just downed a whole animal pack in one mouthful. here are the stats

viking press: warmup empty 90lbs alot,
180 3x
230 3x
work sets 280 3x 300 3x 320 2x

never done the viking press but theres a big carry over from overhead press. There is a thirty to fifty pound advantage with the viking press.

incline 10inch log bar 61lb bar
wu bar, 110, 160 5x
211, 221, 231 all for 5's

bent barbell rows 315 super set lat pull both 3x5

tricep rope push down 3x8 super set with blast strap pushups 10,8,10

Had a really solid workout today. did two presses that I have never done before. log incline was mad fun and I m going to own the viking press at my show. 5 weeks out from rosendale strongman show and 8 weeks till the tps strongman show. Got a good summer of training gentlemen. stay animal.

Young&Hungry
06-02-08, 10:51 pm
just downed a whole animal pack in one mouthful. here are the stats

viking press: warmup empty 90lbs alot,
180 3x
230 3x
work sets 280 3x 300 3x 320 2x

never done the viking press but theres a big carry over from overhead press. There is a thirty to fifty pound advantage with the viking press.

incline 10inch log bar 61lb bar
wu bar, 110, 160 5x
211, 221, 231 all for 5's

bent barbell rows 315 super set lat pull both 3x5

tricep rope push down 3x8 super set with blast strap pushups 10,8,10

Had a really solid workout today. did two presses that I have never done before. log incline was mad fun and I m going to own the viking press at my show. 5 weeks out from rosendale strongman show and 8 weeks till the tps strongman show. Got a good summer of training gentlemen. stay animal.

Sick session as always bro. Really like those log inclines, what do you feel the emphasis on and what's the carryover like to the overhead log press? I saw an old video of Dizenzo from Southside hitting 590 on the viking press, it looks like a brutal piece of machinery. Keeping me proud up there in Mass and the sessions are looking better and more unique by the day.

boar
06-02-08, 11:28 pm
Sick session as always bro. Really like those log inclines, what do you feel the emphasis on and what's the carryover like to the overhead log press? I saw an old video of Dizenzo from Southside hitting 590 on the viking press, it looks like a brutal piece of machinery. Keeping me proud up there in Mass and the sessions are looking better and more unique by the day.

Well carlos the carry over from the inclines is that you can not stand completely straight up while doing the log press. you need to be at somewhat of an incline even when your standing up. I got the idea from justins log I think his forvm name is strongman3 or something.

The viking press is fucking awesome. I should be able to do in the mid 300's by the end of the summer. The strongman template that dave memont (coordinator of tps show) put out emphasizes hitting 60 percent of show weight for events this week. I kinda like when I do something new to do it max effort then judge my speed workouts from their.

I m kinda doing my own thing and following murphs template very loosely. I ll explain it to you if you want I don't feel like detailing it right now sorry being lazy.

Wheres that vid of cenzo doing the viking press? He's coming up to tps to do a bench press seminar looking forward to seeing him and rhodes.

I m gonna try to hit tps wenesday and saturday. usually only make it to everett 2x week bc its 30 miles away but my workouts their are priceless...

Thrawn
06-03-08, 8:12 am
Only found this journey just now. Strongman =) Great!! Nice to see this going on here.
I am subbed for sure!

boar
06-03-08, 11:36 am
Only found this journey just now. Strongman =) Great!! Nice to see this going on here.
I am subbed for sure!

Thanks for stumbling across my strongman journey. I will make sure to check your journey out in return.

Thrawn
06-03-08, 3:32 pm
Thanks for stumbling across my strongman journey. I will make sure to check your journey out in return.

Haha. Support, advice, keeping me on track (by positive or negative feedback) is always welcome. As long as you do not feel you HAVE to. I did not pop in here to get more ppl into my journey in return. I have always been interested in Strongman. Love it on TV, wish the hell more ppl would do it here. There is even less ppl in the Netherlands doing Strongman then PL. Yes, that means VERY few.

Young&Hungry
06-04-08, 7:46 pm
Vinny's vike press:
http://www.ironscene.com/play.php?vid=49

Dudes shoulder strength is unreal...

boar
06-04-08, 9:46 pm
just sucked down a pb protein shake with a pak and an omega. Here is the lower back torture for today.

Suspended safety bar good mornings. don't know if the safety bar is heavier then standard but I treat every bar as 45.
135 5x, 225 3x
275, 315, 365, 385, 405 all for singles

yoke 30ft runs inside
apparutus, 270, 410 back and forth
600 struggled then got one good run. felt like I could take it the 70ft thats my designated show distance. second run wasnt as good.

keg load 4ft platform
145, 170 singles
260 keg 2x3.
Thought these were going to be harder then stones but was pleasently surprised.

hypers with small 116lb stone 2x8, 5
reverse skiers leg press 3x8

hung from the boots then did 4 minutes of isometric abs

I am looking forward to getting out of bed tomorrow. stay animal.

Big Wides
06-04-08, 9:59 pm
Now that is a killer session, tons of stability and overall strength needed for everyone of those movements, great work boar

shizz702
06-04-08, 10:26 pm
Awesome shit you got going on here bro! Strongman training seems like a lot of fun!

Thrawn
06-05-08, 3:52 am
Awesome shit you got going on here bro! Strongman training seems like a lot of fun!

x2! I would love to just try it out for the sheer experience. Lifting and shifting other objects then bb's and db's.
Keep it up, brother!

boar
06-05-08, 10:28 pm
thanks for the props gents. appreciate you guys swinging into the boar universe.

Though I wasnt going to be able to walk with wenesdays torture. Along with my other supps, just added nitro and omega into the mix and it has really helped my recovery. might do a light upper body session then doing a light strongman saturday. stay animal.

Pizzalamp
06-05-08, 11:47 pm
damn nick...still killing it in here...great job brother

boar
06-08-08, 11:30 am
SSB squats onto box (flat bench) about parellell

365 4x, 405 4x, 425 4x, 455 4x

set of small 450 tire 100 ft

leg press 3x10 5 plates

2 sets of leg curl 2x8

Young&Hungry
06-08-08, 11:32 am
That's a hayooge safety bar squat brother. Hot damn.

boar
06-10-08, 2:31 pm
did overhead press with fat bar (75 lbs 1 inch dia) with green bands for the first time. a lot harder then expected.

started with the bands attached to barbells from the ground. worked up to 165 band tension too high so put the bands on the second pin.
work sets
165, 185, 195 for triples
195 0x, took off my wrist wraps off and got back under the bar right away. both bad ideas. ended up throwing the bar behind me and my buddy tommy (ironaddict45) caught the bar.

ended up doing two more triples with 165, 185 plus green bands.

did some back stuff tbars 4plates 3x10 and shrugs with fat bar 395 2x10

did 40 dips and did some tricep extension in between 2x8

meant to be a dynamic workout with bands but underestimated the resistance of them. gotta work out back to back days because workin wenesday and thursday. I ll survive but it will be taxing. stay animal.

Young&Hungry
06-10-08, 2:45 pm
did overhead press with fat bar (75 lbs 1 inch dia) with green bands for the first time. a lot harder then expected.

started with the bands attached to barbells from the ground. worked up to 165 band tension too high so put the bands on the second pin.
work sets
165, 185, 195 for triples
195 0x, took off my wrist wraps off and got back under the bar right away. both bad ideas. ended up throwing the bar behind me and my buddy tommy (ironaddict45) caught the bar.

ended up doing two more triples with 165, 185 plus green bands.

did some back stuff tbars 4plates 3x10 and shrugs with fat bar 395 2x10

did 40 dips and did some tricep extension in between 2x8

meant to be a dynamic workout with bands but underestimated the resistance of them. gotta work out back to back days because workin wenesday and thursday. I ll survive but it will be taxing. stay animal.

Nice session despite the dump bro. If you're gonna use the bands for speed work on upper body, I would only reccommend the mini's (red) or monster mini's (black). They are the lower tensions and the bands from lights (purples) to strongs (blues) are best used for squatting. Damn good work though, back superset looks beastly.

Thrawn
06-11-08, 3:43 am
That was some HARD work you got done, Boar! Awesome.

boar
06-14-08, 10:12 pm
hit up tps this fine saturday afternoon. Three days of not lifting payed off.

started off with some speed squats. tried to set up bands but didn't get band tension right. after I spent 20 min on it I decided just to hit 315 5x3.

went over to the stone platform and started warming up with the 220 stone. Other fellow strongman who I haven't seen for a while was flipping the 800 tire decided to join me for some stone fun. got a good tip from him for tire flipping.

Wanted to do max stone today the 310 stone was my goal. hit the 265 with no problem. hit the 290 stone. first struggled with 310 stone was slidding from me. my training partner realized I wasn't "splitting the stone in half" with my body. barely lapped it and then powered it up for a big pr.

We then decided to hit a series of 5 stones 220, 245, 265, 290, then 310. I flew through the first three then retackied for the 290 stone. then had to get my bearings for the 310 stone which was alot bigger in diameter then the others. I finished the series. never did a series finishing with a stone bigger then 265.

We then did a truck pull sim. attached the truck pull harness to 500lb chain and started to drag it. added some plates to the end also.

70 ft drags
chain 500lbs struggled but made it
chain plus two plates easier then first go
chain plus four plates fell some feet short. just got gassed.

did some foam roller afterwards. got an UB workout to look forward to monday. stay animal.

Young&Hungry
06-14-08, 10:33 pm
Nice session man. Do you feel that you are handling the dynamic and max effort events in the same day? When I tried that for my olympic lifting I was blown to shit in three weeks. Either way damn nice session, sounds like you're getting a ton of positive help from the strongmen at TPS.

And for what we talked about last night...http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=75509&tid=

Thrawn
06-15-08, 7:15 am
Congrats on your session, brother! That was AWESOME. Sounds like you improved, learned AND had a ton of fun in the process!

boar
06-15-08, 8:23 pm
yea I do a powerlifting movement either a squat, dead, or heavy good morning with the lower body days. speed work with the pl movements are more taxing then max effort. I have adjusted pretty well though and I use the powerlift to shock my cns into getting ready for the two events of the day.

boar
06-16-08, 1:03 pm
cup of yogurt
handful of blueberries
cup of oats

8oz of eye round
half a sweet potatoe

12 oz of chicken breast

buffalo chicken wrap
lil chicken
blue cheese curds
green

I went back to this place called melt where I got this sandwich in the mall I work at and told him it was fantastic. He said that he would make sure he put extra chicken in next time.

small cup of cookies and cream ice cream

11 slices of pizza
4 pepperoni
4 cheese
3 buffaloe chicken

This was a serious binge. I have plenty of energy reserves for my workout today. Matt Rhodes would be proud of me. stay animal.

Thrawn
06-16-08, 4:05 pm
Gotta eat big to get big, boar! No way around it =) And you sure LOADED up on food today, LOL!

boar
06-16-08, 8:31 pm
did conans wheel to start off the day
1 rev with 270, 540
1 3/4 rev with 630. really dug this out. felt like i was going to lose it halfway through.

viking press warm up with 90lbs, 180 2x5 no knee bend
230, 250, 270 3x5
270 11 reps

extremely content with this. 290 is the show weight.

did some floor press lockouts. 135, 225 5x
275 3x3

elbows were a little above the ground to start

super set dumbell row 80lb 2x10 pullups 2x10

woodchoppers with 51lb sledgehammer 3x5 each arm

5min bike

out.

really put the calories to use from last night. lost some of my waist during the workout. at first i could only put my belt on 3rd holes but then was able to do the fourth notch halfway through the workout.

icing the elbows. long days and pleasent nights....

Thrawn
06-17-08, 4:20 am
Awesome workout, boar. I am passing out just reading it...damn. Looking good on the viking press!

boar
06-18-08, 12:46 am
thanks thrawn. viking press there is a 50plus carry over from barbell overhead. i can pretty much viking press alot more then i can bench.

boar
06-18-08, 12:55 pm
going to do a post that doesn't correlate exactly to training.

I was driving home from my buddies house. Blasting some audioslave which was on the radio. He was going over a chicks house rather then watching the celts womp the lakers last. I was tired after a long day of work at gnc.

I felt a little empty for a little bit. Haven't had a girl in my life for a while. I felt like there was a piece of life missing.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I realized how lucky I was. My training has been taken to a new level this summer. I am hitting all my show weights. If I can keep up this progress, I could make it pro in this sport. Even if I stay an amature for my career, I wouldnt care because I love the sport. It might take me 5 years, hell even maybe a decade to reach pro status but I am looking forward to pushing myself to the limit to make it to the professionals. I got alot of people in my corner especially my buddy tommy (ironaddict45) and of course carlos (young&hungry) who have been following my progress.
And during this journey if a girl is by my side, it would make it that much better but in time I feel it will happen.

Got a good workout coming up today. going to do some viking deadlifts on the conans wheel. stay animal.

Thrawn
06-18-08, 3:20 pm
going to do a post that doesn't correlate exactly to training.

I was driving home from my buddies house. Blasting some audioslave which was on the radio. He was going over a chicks house rather then watching the celts womp the lakers last. I was tired after a long day of work at gnc.

I felt a little empty for a little bit. Haven't had a girl in my life for a while. I felt like there was a piece of life missing.

Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I realized how lucky I was. My training has been taken to a new level this summer. I am hitting all my show weights. If I can keep up this progress, I could make it pro in this sport. Even if I stay an amature for my career, I wouldnt care because I love the sport. It might take me 5 years, hell even maybe a decade to reach pro status but I am looking forward to pushing myself to the limit to make it to the professionals. I got alot of people in my corner especially my buddy tommy (ironaddict45) and of course carlos (young&hungry) who have been following my progress.
And during this journey if a girl is by my side, it would make it that much better but in time I feel it will happen.

Got a good workout coming up today. going to do some viking deadlifts on the conans wheel. stay animal.

Great post and great attitude, boar! She will pop around the corner when you least expect it. That is ALWAYS the case. Its great to have a girl at your side who fully supports what you do. I have an amazing woman right at my side to hear about good days, bad days, giving me a rub when i need one and going the extra mile with food for me. Gives every day that extra bit of shine.

boar
06-18-08, 10:20 pm
Just sucking down a delicious night time shake w/ one banana, couple strawberries and alot of peanut butter. very thick.

had a pretty solid session. did a variation of pulling I have never done. It worked out well.

I set the viking press handles on the lowest peg on the conans wheel. here are the #'s.

warm up sets with light weight
450, 540, 630,720 for triples 810 4x. It feels good to pull heavy weight.

650 tire flip up and back bout 130ft 10-14flips. Form is still ugly gotta work on my transfer and catching the tire for the flip part.

axle continental cleans 125 3x, 175 1x, 215 1x, 265 fail, 265 2x. Very unorthodox lift but after pulling the bar up to hip level you gotta drop down and inch it up to your chest then reverse curl it. show weight is 230 so trying to clean more then that felt good.

260 keg load to 4ft platform 1x, 4x

did 4 min of isometric abs. it sucked.

did 5 min on bike then foam rollered out.

shizz702
06-18-08, 10:49 pm
Man your training is looking awesome bro! Keep up the good work!

Young&Hungry
06-18-08, 11:32 pm
Probably one of the nastiest looking sessions I've seen in recent memory bro, damn! Was the viking dead similar to a trap bar dead? Cleans are looking good, you hit your olympic bar PR with the axle so that's a testament to your gains in that lift. I've been doing more planks lately so I feel you on the suckage. Keep kicking ass in here.

Pizzalamp
06-18-08, 11:47 pm
looking forward to the july abc nick...great work going on in here

Thrawn
06-19-08, 4:35 am
Jezus, brother! That is a lot of weight to be handled in one session. Mad props. I love the fact that you are very critical about your own technique (tire flips). You have a great willingness and fire to improve.
Keep it up, boar!!

boar
06-19-08, 2:03 pm
Thanks for the support gents.

Probably one of the nastiest looking sessions I've seen in recent memory bro, damn! Was the viking dead similar to a trap bar dead? Cleans are looking good, you hit your olympic bar PR with the axle so that's a testament to your gains in that lift. I've been doing more planks lately so I feel you on the suckage. Keep kicking ass in here.

The viking deadlift is kind of a name I labeled it to be. I called it this because it is the same apparatus we use for the viking press but I lowered the handles to the lowest setting. The handles make it almost identical to the trap bar dead. This felt like the car deadlift that they do at the wsm because it was lifting a platform at a little less then 45* angle rather then a straight barbell pull.

Big Wides
06-19-08, 2:20 pm
Not only do your sessions require a large set of nuts, but the drive and dedication that is put into each one is immense. It takes a lot of both mental and physical strength to handle these weights and events.....keep it going strong bro

IRBS
06-19-08, 2:37 pm
cup of yogurt
handful of blueberries
cup of oats

8oz of eye round
half a sweet potatoe

12 oz of chicken breast

buffalo chicken wrap
lil chicken
blue cheese curds
green

I went back to this place called melt where I got this sandwich in the mall I work at and told him it was fantastic. He said that he would make sure he put extra chicken in next time.

small cup of cookies and cream ice cream

11 slices of pizza
4 pepperoni
4 cheese
3 buffaloe chicken

This was a serious binge. I have plenty of energy reserves for my workout today. Matt Rhodes would be proud of me. stay animal.

I think he would only be more proud if you had dined at "God's Kitchen" (MicD's) LOL

Awesome work here bro!

boar
06-19-08, 8:52 pm
felt like I needed more then one upper body workout a week.

incline press 225, 245 2x5. Weight felt heavy I was pretty shot.

super set cable pec flies and crucifix curls 2x10

dips 22 pullups 10

lat bar tricep push downs 1x12

did a nice quick half hour blast of chest, tri's, and bi's. Went rock climbing with my mom afterwards.

caddying tomorrow and saturday. should be some good gpp carrying 2 15lb bags for 5 miles. Going to do an afternoon session saturday. long training days and pleasent nights....

boar
06-19-08, 8:57 pm
Not only do your sessions require a large set of nuts, but the drive and dedication that is put into each one is immense. It takes a lot of both mental and physical strength to handle these weights and events.....keep it going strong bro

Thanks for the props big wides. Your leg sessions make me nauseous and you go hard every workout.

I think he would only be more proud if you had dined at "God's Kitchen" (MicD's) LOL

Awesome work here bro!

IRBS didn't know anyone on the forum that read logs on elitefts. Rhodes is quite the ball buster too I squatted with him when I was in connecticut for school. Funny dude.

IRBS
06-20-08, 8:51 am
IRBS didn't know anyone on the forum that read logs on elitefts. Rhodes is quite the ball buster too I squatted with him when I was in connecticut for school. Funny dude.

There are a couple of us Powerlifters floating around here...not many, but a few of us...

Thrawn
06-20-08, 9:13 am
There are a couple of us Powerlifters floating around here...not many, but a few of us...

One a bit more experienced then the other, but we are there =) LOL

boar
06-21-08, 8:57 pm
did some blue band box squats. don't know the tension on these carlos would know.
worked up to 315 5x3

first set was bad. bands threw me forward. almost missed the pins on the mono lift. This guy mike was nice enough to work the mono for me after his lift. he has 17 years of experience in powerlifting so we had alot to shoot the shit about between sets. last three sets were good held my breath throughout.

yoke torture
warm up 2something

400ish two short 30ft runs

600ish first runs 20ft too low on my back. next one was about 30ftish did not steady the weight.

I then took the same weight back for a solid 60ft.

put dimes on to make yolk in the mid 650's. made three attempts at it and moved it a net 40ft. third time I collapsed. was able to shake it off and go back in for some inversion boot crunches and light reverse hypers.

I m three weeks out of the hudson valley strongman show and my contest weight is 690. the yolk that I train with is unsteady so the contest yolk should be more sturdy. overall content with this session. Hit some good squats with a veteran powerlifter.

Young&Hungry
06-21-08, 11:14 pm
Nice session brother. With the blues you're looking at like 150-200 pounds of tension more or less. That's a big improvement because that time I had you doing speed work with bands you were doing three plates with the purples, so that's awesome. Yoke work looks good as well. I know you're gonna bring the ruckus at your show, keep training hard brother.

boar
06-21-08, 11:20 pm
Here are some lifts I m going for next week.

ME viking press: 350-400lbs 1rm

ME conans: mid 800's 1/2 rev to full rev

2 inch bar deadlift: work up to 4 plates for volume

650 tire flip 500lb chain drag 70ft: trying to get it crisp, swift transfer between medley no breaks.

axle cleans: show weight 230 for reps

stones: volume with 265 maybe heavy double with either 290 or 310 stone.

I m going to attempt to get most of these lifts in this week. I m taking saturday off for a bodybuilding show to support one of my buddies. Roughly my training split has been picking two events, a powerlift and doing one of them max effort, one dynamic/speed, and one for volume. 3 weeks out from my first show so got 2 weeks of event training left. week of the show I will train up to wenesday but will not do any events that week. Thats my plan and now just gotta do it up. stay animal.

AnthonyB
06-21-08, 11:26 pm
i cant believe i missed this journal. im thinking about doing events once a week. youre strong as fuck for a young dude. keep at it my man

boar
06-21-08, 11:27 pm
Nice session brother. With the blues you're looking at like 150-200 pounds of tension more or less. That's a big improvement because that time I had you doing speed work with bands you were doing three plates with the purples, so that's awesome. Yoke work looks good as well. I know you're gonna bring the ruckus at your show, keep training hard brother.

Thats some good resistence from the bands. First set I was thrown forward a little bit the dude working the mono thought I was going to bail. Last three sets were crisp as hell. the box to eccentric press was a good transfer. One of us has a bad squat day the other does well go figure.

The yoke was absolutely bruttle. the yoke that we have is shaky and the plates go on the base so it moves all over the place. I m going to try to stand with atleast 700 bc show weight is 690 but hopefully they have a better yoke.

The first show I m just doing to get a show under my belt before the big tps show in august. Also it works out because my mom is an obsessed rock climber and new paltz (rock climbing cliff) is right next to rosendale where the show is.

Hit me up and let me know how your first southside experience goes. trust me it will be memorable.

boar
06-21-08, 11:44 pm
i cant believe i missed this journal. im thinking about doing events once a week. youre strong as fuck for a young dude. keep at it my man

Thanks man. If you find a good strongman gym or if you know someone that will make the equipment for you do it up man. Best decision of my life man.

Thrawn
06-22-08, 6:47 am
I dont know how you do all that work, brother. I am smashed just looking at it...
Looking forward to see you pound out that sneak peak.
Impressive journey...impressive.

AnthonyB
06-22-08, 10:06 am
Thanks man. If you find a good strongman gym or if you know someone that will make the equipment for you do it up man. Best decision of my life man.

i love powerlifting at the same time i figure the two go hand and hand so why not throw in an extra day for strongman

boar
06-26-08, 12:01 pm
axle standing overhead press 1 inch bar from rack
wu bar 10x
175 3x, 215 1x, 235 1x
work set 255 4x, 4x, 6x,

superset axle row, handstand pushups
345 5x, 5x, 255 10x

dips 24

boar
06-26-08, 12:06 pm
caddied right before training so I was pretty spent.
conans wheel
360, 540 1 rev
860 1/2 rev
stripped it to 700something to finish of revolution

650 tire flip/500lb chain drag woes 70 ft each

last couple tire flips had to lean it against body then flip chain drag got gassed halfway through then finished it off.

2inch thick bar deads. this was hard to grip because could not get hands all the way around it. don't know how much the bar weighed but will assume it was 45lb.
135,225,315 3x
405 3x3.

gravity boot crunches 8x. out

A decent session for caddying right before. going to try to squeeze in a session on saturday. stay animal.

jer
06-26-08, 1:57 pm
These sessions are looking sick.

Where's the comp taking place?

A friend of mine just had his first attempt at a Pro Card (light weight) down in Jersey two weekends ago. He was sitting in 4th until he ripped his hand open on a carry and had to pull out.

boar
06-26-08, 10:33 pm
These sessions are looking sick.

Where's the comp taking place?

A friend of mine just had his first attempt at a Pro Card (light weight) down in Jersey two weekends ago. He was sitting in 4th until he ripped his hand open on a carry and had to pull out.

thanks jer

my first show is the hudson valley strongman in rosendal ny on july 12th. August 2nd is the tps mass strongman championship at saugus high school. I m going barely any carbs on non training days and restricted on training days 1/2 sweet potatoe with meat meals to make the 231 weight. I got two weeks to drop it I think I am in the mid 230's right now.

Thrawn
06-27-08, 3:46 am
Great way of pushing through, Boar! Sometimes energy levels are low when you have put in some good hours before training. But you persevered. ANIMAL.

jer
06-27-08, 11:04 am
thanks jer

my first show is the hudson valley strongman in rosendal ny on july 12th. August 2nd is the tps mass strongman championship at saugus high school. I m going barely any carbs on non training days and restricted on training days 1/2 sweet potatoe with meat meals to make the 231 weight. I got two weeks to drop it I think I am in the mid 230's right now.

Nice, good luck brother.

Making weight shouldn't be a problem.

boar
06-27-08, 10:34 pm
lifted in cargo shorts and sandals tonight. it was sporatic did not have my gym stuff with me. needed to get rid of steam from work.

decline press
bar, 135 10x
225 10x, 275 5x, 315 5x, 365 2x, 385 single

cable pec flies/crucifix curls 2x8

8 military pullups.

In the mist of a carb restriced diet. doing oats and yogurt in the morning past 3 days doing only 50-70 grams of carbs. Feeling a little light headed today but I am 235 and I need to be 231 for showtime in two weeks...

Got a big workout planned tomorrow morning. doing ME good mornings, stones, yoke. stay animal.

Thrawn
06-28-08, 7:37 am
Nice work, boar!!! Keep it up, you will make it!

boar
06-28-08, 9:44 pm
got up at 6:30 to train early. could not keep my oats in my stomach and those are my only carbs for the day for the most part. sucked it up and made it to tps at 8:30.

amazing session today. Before I post my workout I want to give props to fellow tps athletes.

This kid dave who is a body builder is doing the strongman show. He did the conans wheel today and cranked out 4 revolutions with 455 and one solid one with 630. outstanding athlete and he is going to dominate in the novice lightweight division.

This other trainer also named dave is getting back into it. was sick over the winter so just getting back up to speed. He had an unreal squat session. he put on the briefs and was ssb box squatting in the 400's, 500's 600's like a joke. He hit 720 for two singles. went for 800 but I had to help him up with it. He still was resilient and grinded out the rep like a champion.

I was content with my training today. did yoke again and made some serious improvement from last week.

warmup run 270
did 420 for two seventy foot runs

put 640 on and made a net 70ft or so. Huge improvement from last week. I then put on 700 and wanted to just stand with it. I ended up going 10ft with it and It felt like 1000ft.

I moved onto the stones
220 1x, 245 2x, 265 2x, 290 1x, 310 stone got up to platform height but was too far away. dave said I needed to drop down more. I know I can hit that stone but was fatigued from doing yoke.

Then moved onto safety bar squats for reps. Real low.
170, 230 warm up reps

270 10x
360 10x all reps going elbows to my knees as low as possible.

Had to stretch out quickly with the foam roller and then go to work.

going to hit the axle clean and press on monday. I am two weeks out of my show but going to train up to two days before it. going to take a week off before august show.

Train insane or remain the same.....

Thrawn
06-29-08, 8:29 am
Real impressive, man. Awesome, very inspirational journey.

boar
06-29-08, 8:35 am
The last 4 days I have been really strict. not doing carbs except for in the morning. was able to drop 5lbs really quickly and back down to show weight.

You know, I have mad respect for the bodybuilders out there. I go strict diet for almost a week, and I start going nuts. not having the glucose from carbs messes with not only your body, but your head. Your brain has to use glucose for fuel too!

But when bodybuilders do this they do it for months before a contest. something tells me that I would not cope to well with this.

Even though what I do is more physically taxing then bodybuilding, bodybuilding is more of a head game due to the depletion of nutrients to the body.

I respect all forms of fitness from bodybuilding, powerlifting and strongman are my things so obviously, runners, crossfitters, pilate people, etc. I respect anyone in pursuit in bettering themselves through fitness.

Be an animal in the gym and a gentleman off the iron turf...

boar
06-30-08, 9:04 pm
went for max effort viking press

warm up apparatus 90lbs 10x
140, 180, 270 5x
290 3x, 320 2x, 360 1x big pr
show weight 290 8x

Going to get 10 at show time.

conans wheel.
warm up 180, 360 1 rev

Was waiting my turn and then right before my go at 450, I puked. With no hesitation I cranked out the set 1 rev and laughing while doing it.

worked up to 630 for 1 rev and my two other training partners did this.

both my training partners had trouble with 720, they can handle the weight but the pick up was tough on uneven pavement. ross was finally able to get it going for a solid revolution.

I went up after matt and ross went. Right before I hit a revolution I projectiled puked and then dropped the arm. All my training buddies started laughing and I joined in.

After that did some lat pull downs 3x10 2bills and 15 blast strap pushups, dips.

Hit up my favorite mexican place got a burrito chicken, beef, beans, rice and cheese then had a separate plate of beans and beef. in a carb coma right now.

Train insane or remain the same.

Young&Hungry
06-30-08, 10:03 pm
Really nice session. What the fuck happened, were you drunk or something? I've never heard of that much vomiting in the gym during a lift ever. That's some awesome shit and I'm so not surprised that you toughed it out and proceeded to train like nothing happened. That's the fucking Animal spirit I love about ya brother. I feel you on the Mexican food, by far the best cheat meal ever. I had six pieces of homemade pizza, steak, veggies, and chips as a cheat meal yesterday and I was so disappointed. Next cheat meal it's Mexican for sure. There's this bomb Mexican place in Stratford that we def need to hit up after a Southside session when you're back at Q-Pac.

boar
07-01-08, 1:54 am
just wanted to post my past event weights, where the are today, and goals for the future. enjoying a nice night shake with pb, banana, milk.

max effort stone
2007: 285
2008: 310
future: mid 300's

stone series
2007: 200, 220, 245, 265
2008: 220, 245, 265, 290, 310
future: hit all stones at show 230-330

conans wheel
2007: 630 1 rev
2008 810 1 rev, 860 1/2 rev
future: 900 for a rev

yoke
2007: 600 10ft
2008: 700 ft
future: solid run with 750-800

viking press
2008: 360
future: 400

tire
2007: 650 8 flips
2008: 650 8 flips
future: 800 tire

Those are the primary events that are in my future shows. Looking to always break pr's and better myself. stay animal.

boar
07-01-08, 1:59 am
Really nice session. What the fuck happened, were you drunk or something? I've never heard of that much vomiting in the gym during a lift ever. That's some awesome shit and I'm so not surprised that you toughed it out and proceeded to train like nothing happened. That's the fucking Animal spirit I love about ya brother. I feel you on the Mexican food, by far the best cheat meal ever. I had six pieces of homemade pizza, steak, veggies, and chips as a cheat meal yesterday and I was so disappointed. Next cheat meal it's Mexican for sure. There's this bomb Mexican place in Stratford that we def need to hit up after a Southside session when you're back at Q-Pac.

I had a preworkout NO stuff and I sipped on size on creatine during the workout. I was really flemmy driving up to everret. it was probably a combo of the weather, supps, low carb diet, and obviously the workout.

You really don't have to worry about cheat meals dude. Your on a permanent bulk for a while but that steak and pizza sounds good.

We'll hit that place up then we need to go to Louis lunch in new haven. home of the first burger on bread.

Keep doing your thing dude and are you still planning on maybe coming to assachusetts?

Thrawn
07-01-08, 4:38 am
I can have nothing but respect for what i see in your list, boar. You made some awesome progression since 2007! Especially the conan wheel seems to stick out. A-MA-ZING.

boar
07-01-08, 7:40 pm
I can have nothing but respect for what i see in your list, boar. You made some awesome progression since 2007! Especially the conan wheel seems to stick out. A-MA-ZING.

Thanks thrawn. I m expecting big pl numbers out of you at your next meet!

Thrawn
07-02-08, 4:14 am
Thanks thrawn. I m expecting big pl numbers out of you at your next meet!

I might do a meet in september again. I will NOT be focussing on weights there as i am going to start using gear. Gotta have form and confidence down first. But towards the end of the year it will be ON again for bigger numbers. But even if i am not focussing on weights for september, i am almost certain i will bust some PR's there.

boar
07-02-08, 8:23 pm
ME pulling

425, 475, 515 singles
565 failed 2x

wanted to pull big numbers today. My ME powerlifts must have gone down while my endurance for strongman events are going up. something has to give. Going back to rack pullz when I can fit them into my workouts.

cambered bar good mornings
150 5x, 240 3x, 330 3x, 380 3x. was content with this lift.

keg fun
210, 260 for doubles
260 5x

cable crunches 2x15

foam roller. out.

Had some fantastic pizza postworkout. went to a pizza joint had a brew with a 10inch carne pizza. It had pepperoni, ground beef, steak tips, chicken, sausage, and onions. Going to do some bison meat in a little bit. stay animal.

Thrawn
07-03-08, 3:43 am
Strange about those ME deadlifts...I would not have thought that they should suffer for your routine. Surprising, but it is what it is. Like you said, sometimes things gotta give.
Good all around session =) I dont know how you can stomach a beer after a workout. If i try one i am tipsy in minutes =)) That pizza sounds crackalackin' tho, damn! Send me a slice next time! LOL

Big Wides
07-03-08, 10:24 am
Don't sell yourself short, that was a soild pulling session hell 515 is a soild pull. that 565 will come around soon enough....looking strong

boar
07-03-08, 9:41 pm
instead of getting drunk on the beach I decided to hit the gym for a quick pump after getting out of work at 8.

decline bench 315 3x5

skullz/curls 3x8

pullups 9 dips 15

got a good quick pump in my bi's and tri's. got a big saturday morning workout coming up doing farmers, squats, and stones. stay animal and don't play with fireworks..

boar
07-07-08, 7:04 pm
Started with fahmahs walk

implement weights each hand.
warm up 115lb 70ft, 70ft
204lb 30ft,30ft
254lb 70ft
274lb 20ft tore my left hand open a little. ouch.

skkwwats as carlos writes it as
blue bands pulled through like a sling
225lb 2x2 plus band tension 275lb 3x2 plus tension

axle clean and press
125 1x
175 1x
215 just clean
235 2x, 2x, 1x.

felt like I underachieved. thats show weight right there but I did alot of volume before and the rip in the hand did not help. 5 days out gents. stay animal.

Thrawn
07-08-08, 3:59 am
Dont worry, brother! You have put the work in, you got the dedication. You are gonna kick some ass 5 days from now, boar!

boar
07-08-08, 11:36 am
Thanks for the good word thrawn.

I am currently show weight 231 on the dot. gotta be weary of my diet. I am a little beat up from yesterday. got a serious ripped callus on my left hand and bruises on my ribs from doing continental cleans. Here are the show events.

230 axle clean and press for reps

600lb farmers frame carry

690lb yoke

odd object duck walk and load

stone series 230-330

the axle weight for me is easy to press for me but the clean sucks. the two walking events are my ME pretty much. don't know what to expect from the odd object event. stone series is legit I am hoping to get every stone. this is going to be my last post till after the show. I m going to my healer tomorrow and going to rest up. stay animal.

jer
07-08-08, 11:40 am
Good luck bro.

Rest up and kill it at show time.

Big Wides
07-08-08, 11:45 am
Give them hell come the show boar....Good luck and lift fast and strong

krazyassmexican
07-08-08, 11:46 am
good luck bro, kick some ass

Thrawn
07-08-08, 1:30 pm
Rest up, get your mind crystal clear and focussed and UNLEASH, boar! Have a great meet and have FUN doing what you can.

mcbeast
07-08-08, 1:31 pm
Kill it bro..

Your one strong dude as well

II have a huge interest in strongman and im sure ill be competing strongman in a few years!

Young&Hungry
07-08-08, 10:18 pm
Good looking shit brother, I have full confidence that you've prepared yourself for this show to the best of your ability. You trained your ass off down here in CT all year long and I'm a witness to that and I know you're probably going even harder up at TPS. I'll give you a call a day or two out to check up brother, stay strong and represent for us Animals. I believe in you.

boar
07-09-08, 10:53 am
Thanks gents I really appreciate the support. Its good to know that I have a supporting cast from near and far away places...

IRONADDICT45
07-10-08, 7:52 pm
do your thing and leave nothing left, compete so hard that if it was to be your last competition ever you could walk away satisfied...you have killed yourself all year for this, go get whats yours...yours= knowing in your heart you left no stone unturned (no pun intended) and youve given it your whole heart and soul....thats what you will do to get yours...

ill talk to you and see you soon nick, until then DO WHAT WE DO...do it with pride, integrity and heart and you cannot fail!!!!!!!

boar
07-13-08, 7:05 pm
went to rosendale ny for my show. weighed in at 232 but the promotor let it slide and I competed in the middle weights. had 7 other athletes to compete against. there were 8 lightweights 200lb and under, only 2 heavyweights, and 4 masters.

frame carry woes.

first event was the 600lb frame carry. I bombed out of this event. I had no problem picking it up but I lacked the grip strength to sustain a good distance with. ended up getting it only 5ft out of 70ft. handful of competitors got it the 70ft but it was no cakewalk.

690 yoke: I got this about halfway through the 70ft course. got it about 25ft and then had difficulty picking it up. I heard 10 seconds left then I was able to pick it up again and slide it another 10ft. several guys were able to get it across the finish.

230 axle clean and press: I did well in this event. got 4 reps in the alotted time. only one other competitor was able to beat me. The clean slowed me down but I was throwing the press through the roof.

duck walk medley: there was 2 rolling thunder implements one 325 and the other 300 which had to be duck walked 35ft and loaded on an 18inch platform. I was able to load these pretty easily but then came the 240 keg 20ft away. I was able to get to the 5ft platform, lapped it and got it up there. Definitley finished in the top three in this event.

stones: 230,260,310,330,350. Got through the first two easily on the higher platforms. got to the 310 stone and had it close to the platform twice but not quite enough. several competitors got through three stones, one got through four, and one beast got all five stones.

Definitly a good show. I was sure to cheer on my fellow competitors and congradulated the guy jason after he beat my mark of 4 reps on the axle clean and press.

I m disappointed in my performance on the frame carry but can train certain aspects to get stronger. I ended up placing in the middle of the pack I will find out soon where I placed. I never gave up in any event until time ran out or I completed it. first show of this summer, three weeks out of the mass championships, and many more shows to come. stay animal.

mcbeast
07-14-08, 1:36 am
Awesome work brotha.More experience for next time

Thrawn
07-14-08, 4:21 am
Congratulations, brother! You did awesome, never quitting even when the going got tough. And as i can read you show some good sportsmanship too. VERY important, IMO. Now you have some experience under your belt and you can work on the things that you want to improve.
Cant wait to see you continue this awesome journey, boar!
Once again, well done!

boar
07-15-08, 4:52 pm
did show weight for volume today.
290 4x5.

super set blast strap pushups/ 275 barbell rows
15,10/ 5,8

woodchoppers w/ 51lb sledgehammer 10 on each side.

short workout today. still beat from saturdays show, very low energy.

Thrawn
07-16-08, 3:33 am
Quit understandable. Meets really bleed the juice out of ya. I felt weary for almost a week after my first meet. Rest up and eat up, boar!

boar
07-20-08, 1:14 am
had a long week of caddying. pretty scorched. got a workout in at tps tonight. I came into the gym right after the big bench seminar vinny dizenzo and matt rhodes hosted. it was good to see the guys i trained with in ct again. rhodes complimented me on my back fat and progress marks (stretch marks).

did some axle deadlifts. the bar had tires at the end of each side. bar was atleast 100lbs heavier then standard barbell. bar came 4 inches or so short of the tibia patella insertion.

bar 145ish 5x
235 5x, 325 5x, 405 5x, 500 3x, 555 0x, 555 1x didn't really lock it out. the bar was uneven, hard to control.

stone and keg load fun 4ft platform.

stones 200 2x, 225 2x, 265 2x

210 keg 1x

stone/keg series

210 keg, 245 stone, 260 keg, 290 stone. flew through the first three. wasn't using tacky and spent ateast a minute trying to get the 290 stone. the guys spotting behind the platform were impressed at my effort. then i said watch how much of a difference tacky makes; threw some on and nailed it. Murph was closing down the gym so I had to bounce.

had serious feeding with my buddies an hour later.
had two brews
6 oz chicken
half rack of ribs
mad onion rings
2 turkey ham sandwich wedges/ mashed potatoes from one of my friends.

good times. 2 weeks out from the mass strongman, doing uppers monday. stay animal

Thrawn
07-21-08, 6:16 am
Taking it to the next level, i see. Do i understand this correctly, you are competing again in two weeks?

boar
07-22-08, 11:45 am
Instead of training last night, I played golf after I caddied. it was good to be out on the golf course solo with no distractions, watching the sun set. Whenever I'm in a funk I try to enjoy the little things in life that people tend to neglect like a full moon or something.

Back on the lifting front, I don't like this term but I have no other word to what this week is other then deload week. going to put the events on the backburner and focus on powerlifting. going to squat either today or tomorrow. today looks better then tomorrow. stay animal.

boar
07-22-08, 11:48 am
Taking it to the next level, i see. Do i understand this correctly, you are competing again in two weeks?

thats right thrawn. doing a deload this week. its a rugged transition but I am taking training in a good balance between intensity and moderation. still trying to push myself but doing less volume.

boar
07-23-08, 8:57 pm
squats
warmup bar-315
365 3x, 405 3x, 455 2x high on the last one

barbell shrug 405 10, 12, 15

one arm dumbell press 100's
left hand 2,3,3
right 2,3,7

cable pec flies 2x8

boar
07-24-08, 12:11 pm
worst terms regarding training, diet.
sport specific
meal replacement
fasting

favorite words
bulk phase
squat till you puke
pulling

least favorite gym equipment
bosu ball

favorite peices of equipment
barbell
1 inch thick axle bar
safety squat bar
bands/chains

unexceptable use of squat rack
performing bicep curls

performing heavy barbell shrugs is acceptable

favorite strongman implements
stones (atlas/husefell)
conans wheel/viking press
yoke
500lb chain

The boar has spoken. if you disagree with some of these opinions I apologize. stay animal.

Big Wides
07-24-08, 12:28 pm
worst terms regarding training, diet.
sport specific
meal replacement
fasting

favorite words
bulk phase
squat till you puke
pulling

least favorite gym equipment
bosu ball

favorite peices of equipment
barbell
1 inch thick axle bar
safety squat bar
bands/chains

unexceptable use of squat rack
performing bicep curls

performing heavy barbell shrugs is acceptable

favorite strongman implements
stones (atlas/husefell)
conans wheel/viking press
yoke
500lb chain

The boar has spoken. if you disagree with some of these opinions I apologize. stay animal.

Classic....really hit the nail on the head with some of these

boar
07-26-08, 3:37 pm
started off with some monster mini band deads
135 3x, 225 2x, 315 2x, 335 1x, 355 1x

stones without tacky
220, 245, 265, 290

Its reassuring getting the 290 stone w/o tacky. might do some back stuff tonight. 1 week out of my show.

boar
07-26-08, 8:16 pm
was thinking about how many nicknames I have had since I was 18 so for the last several years. I appreciate all of the people in my life who have come up with fitting nicknames for me. here is a time line of nicknames

senior year high school 05: gunshow. self explanatory. i flexed after i got my diploma. I know it was a little toolish but my fellow classmates were yelling for it.

freshmen year at qu: shuttle. 3rd day at qu we were playing football and I broke some tackles hence the nickname.

sophmore year at qu: boar. one of my roomates called me this when I came back to the room with atleast a pound of filthy steak.

last summer at tps: hardcore holly. murph started calling me this because I used to tape my wrists and wear under armour.

southside nickname: ozone. boys at southside think I don't pay attention. I once over side spotted a kid pressing 225.

new nickname at tps: softcore. murph started calling me this because I put on weight in the winter.

nickname at gnc: frodo: for being short and having trouble reaching stuff up in top shelf.

I feel honored by the people around my life bestowing these nicknames to me good or bad. Hope you guys get a laugh at these. stay animal.

boar
07-29-08, 11:14 am
started off with a couple lifts. joints felt weak for some reason.

225 2x5 incline press

t bar row 4plates 8, 10

wanted to get some blood flowing to my chest and back.

conditioning circuit 2 sets with 35lb weighted vest, 1 set bodyweight

millitary pullups 6, 6, 8
dips 10,10,15
box jumps 8,8,10 missed the box on the second set ouch.
kb swings 5 on each arm 3 sets

felt pretty good after this circuit. good to get a cardio burn. last workout before my show this saturday. might rockclimb on thursday still need to burn some calories.

mcbeast
07-29-08, 11:19 am
Haha i like the last few posts.Numbers looking strong bro.Your competing in under 231 right?
Best of luck at your comp,and i see in your signature 300+ Overhead thick bad.Thats sick

boar
07-29-08, 11:45 am
Haha i like the last few posts.Numbers looking strong bro.Your competing in under 231 right?
Best of luck at your comp,and i see in your signature 300+ Overhead thick bad.Thats sick

Yea, thats right competing at 231 and under. was a 1.5lb over last show they let it slide. I should be good I ve been around 228-230. Thanks for the good word endorphins.

Here is the show events and expectations.

650 tire flip and 600lb sled drag 100ft each. This is my weak event with the tire. I would be satisfied if I can finish the course in time.

800lb conans wheel. should get atleast 1 rev on this.

290 viking press. I want to win this event and get double digit reps.

odd object load: should be some kegs and stones w/o tacky maybe some surprise objects. I ve done all of the kegs and stones possibly in this event so pretty confident in banging this out.

truck pull: never got to train with the truck should get it.

There it is. going to go out there and have fun not give up until the time runs out or I complete the event. stay animal.

mcbeast
07-29-08, 2:35 pm
with the truck pull dont try and use simply your back or biceps,make sure to get into a groove.Makes a huge difference.Good luck

boar
08-03-08, 7:58 am
Night before the show felt like an eternity. woke up a dozen times. got to the venue early. least favorite event was up. went first for all of the events. wanted to set a good pace and not get blown away.

after the tire flip/sled, viking press, conans wheel I stood 4th. there was a cut from 7 competitors to 5 in my class.

First event gassed everyone. I got a nice burn in the lungs.

the next event was odd object load. I could have broken away with this event but barely missed the platform with 290 stone no tacky. no other competitors budged that stone. I ended up taking second.

the truck pull was last. for lightweight open, there was a flatbed and chevy truck on top of the flatbed attached to the big truck.

I got a good groove in this event. everyone in my class were close together distance wise. there was a gradual incline that killed everyones momentum.

I just got bumped out of 3rd place in the show. top 3 qualified for nationals. the kid that beat has been a past training partner, beat me in the viking by one rep and got some more feet in the truck pull. contest of inches gents....

boar
08-03-08, 8:27 am
I can now finally eat carbs again. looking to really bring up my powerlifts. going to do full event days every other saturday and pick up 1-2 events on wenesday and maybe do log on mondays.

I might do the rhode island show september 6th. Definitly considering the show out in paxton. both have 231-265 so I wont have to cut weight. These shows get kind of addicting. stay animal.

mcbeast
08-03-08, 8:53 am
Good work brotha.

boar
08-03-08, 9:53 am
Good work brotha.

thanks man and I found the groove in the truck pull.

boar
08-03-08, 3:13 pm
One thing I like about strongman but it also scares the shit out of me. There are some points in events where I feel like I black out. after the event is done I don't remember all of it. It could be either one of two things.

One possibility could be that I am moving so fast and am not consiously thinking about it but being a machine.

Another thing could be that exhaustion blocks my brain from storing memory.

I think both possibilities have happened to me before. These types of blackouts happened to me playing football where we would score but I could only remember a couple plays. Another time it happens is during fights. Thank god I have avoided physical transgressions with anyone for a long time.

So strongman is like getting in a fight but with really heavy shit. stay animal.

boar
08-05-08, 5:20 pm
log press
log bar 91lbs 5x, 141 3x, 191 3x, 211 1x, 251 fail.

trap bar box pulls. started pull at knee height. assumed trap bar was 45lb.

135,225,315,405,495 all 5x 585 4x

blast strap pushups/dips 3x10

log press has suffered due to lack of training. clean was outstanding but body is not primed
for the press yet. will take it from the rack next time.

post workout supplementation
famous dave bbq
ceaser salad
bbq burger w/ pork and bacon on top
mashed potatoes
64 oz water w/ amino powder.

mcbeast
08-05-08, 5:42 pm
Good lifting,nice pwo meal

Thrawn
08-06-08, 4:15 am
About time i checked this journey again. Sorry for my absence lately, but i am having a rather rough patch myself, which makes me a bit introverted at the moment.
Looks like you did a GREAT job on the contest, big man. Getting bumped from 3rd might sting a bit, but i would say you did pretty damn awesome in that contest when i read how you did it. WELL done. And you are back to business on the training already again. Keep pushing it, brother!

boar
08-06-08, 10:22 pm
About time i checked this journey again. Sorry for my absence lately, but i am having a rather rough patch myself, which makes me a bit introverted at the moment.
Looks like you did a GREAT job on the contest, big man. Getting bumped from 3rd might sting a bit, but i would say you did pretty damn awesome in that contest when i read how you did it. WELL done. And you are back to business on the training already again. Keep pushing it, brother!

Yea man gotta just keep truckin. the workout after the show no matter how much layoff time is rugged and usually not pr material. planning on squatting friday and maybe throwing in some stones with it.

Big Wides
08-06-08, 10:25 pm
famous dave bbq
ceaser salad
bbq burger w/ pork and bacon on top
mashed potatoes
64 oz water w/ amino powder.

See that is how you eat....dont care what people say. If you keep breaking your balls then its good to reward yourself with grub.

Maharg
08-06-08, 10:29 pm
I will read about your throwing of heavy shit.

boar
08-11-08, 10:50 am
Had a weak training session today. got to tps at 1:15 and did not know it was closing at 2pm.

did low box squats
365 5x, 385 5x last rep was hideous. had problems holding my air and did the last rep like a good morning. gotta go back to basics and do regular squats at low weight to get sometype of form back.

stones. I got to stones at 2pm and was about to get kicked out of the gym due to closing. tried to rush through a series. did 220 and 245 stone on 5 foot platform. got the 265 stone high enough but did not quite load it. the platform is usually 4ft but the gym raised it up.

No excuses though. Gotta take bad workouts in stride and learn from them. stay animal.

Thrawn
08-11-08, 3:13 pm
Had a weak training session today. got to tps at 1:15 and did not know it was closing at 2pm.

did low box squats
365 5x, 385 5x last rep was hideous. had problems holding my air and did the last rep like a good morning. gotta go back to basics and do regular squats at low weight to get sometype of form back.

stones. I got to stones at 2pm and was about to get kicked out of the gym due to closing. tried to rush through a series. did 220 and 245 stone on 5 foot platform. got the 265 stone high enough but did not quite load it. the platform is usually 4ft but the gym raised it up.

No excuses though. Gotta take bad workouts in stride and learn from them. stay animal.

EXACTLY like you tell it, bro! Bad workouts are part of the game. Live and learn. Mad respect for keeping real on this, boar! Still looked like you got in at least a decent workout, imo.

Young&Hungry
08-11-08, 8:20 pm
Looks like when you come back from the land of the Massholes we both have some work to do on our free squats. Glad to see you're recognizing training weaknesses and making a plan of attack on them before they come long term problems, that's the sign of a truely intelligent lifter. I don't think I can make it up to Mass this summer like I hoped to, school starts next week and the finances are low so I gotta stay homebound and hopefully get the chance to check out some schools once the football madness ends.

Last time I talked to you on the phone I thought I heard something about Poundstone's crew relocating closer to Q-Pac? Continuing the strongman insanity during the school year?

boar
08-12-08, 2:00 am
Looks like when you come back from the land of the Massholes we both have some work to do on our free squats. Glad to see you're recognizing training weaknesses and making a plan of attack on them before they come long term problems, that's the sign of a truely intelligent lifter. I don't think I can make it up to Mass this summer like I hoped to, school starts next week and the finances are low so I gotta stay homebound and hopefully get the chance to check out some schools once the football madness ends.

Last time I talked to you on the phone I thought I heard something about Poundstone's crew relocating closer to Q-Pac? Continuing the strongman insanity during the school year?

yea their crew is at retro fitness is waterbury ct. that will become my regular gym along with saturday squatting at southside

Young&Hungry
08-12-08, 9:47 am
yea their crew is at retro fitness is waterbury ct. that will become my regular gym along with saturday squatting at southside

Sounds legit brother. When would you be doing your event day, on Saturdays before squatting on Sundays?

boar
08-12-08, 1:09 pm
I would do every other saturday squatting alternated with an every other saturday event day. If I am squatting that saturday, I would do 1-2 events on wenesday. If I am doing events on saturday, I would squat on wenesdays.

boar
08-12-08, 10:42 pm
finally feeling fully recovered from my show. had a strong session today.

12 inch log clean and press each rep
91lb strict 5
141 3, 191 3x, 201 3x, 211 4x. show weight is either 230-250 depends what weight class I m in.

trap bar deads
245 5x, 335 1x, 375 1x, 425 5x, 475 8x.

incline dumbell presses 80's super setted with dumbell row 90's 2x10

hardcore conditioning super set.

sledge hammers 31lb 10 swings each side 2 sets

500lb chain drag 2x70ft.

kicked the chains ass today. was jogging with the thing. Feel like I m back on track now.

boar
08-12-08, 11:03 pm
Have been eating ridiculously unclean. all the carbs feel good though and put them to use today.

Last night:
wendys numero 4: double bacon cheesburger, fries, large sprite

4 slices of onion pizza couple hours later

tonight

massive beef burrito with refried beans and rice.

10 inch carnivore pizza toppings: chicken, beef, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, etc.

milkshake with 4 scoops of breyers ice cream, handful of strawberries, 16oz of whole milk.

There is no such thing as a cheat meal on a bulk. stay animal.

mcbeast
08-12-08, 11:31 pm
3 huge bowls of cocoa krsipies with 4 chips ahoy cookies in each! MMM

haha

boar
08-18-08, 11:39 pm
did light squats on saturday 315 3x5 and struggled with stones.

had a good workout tonight though.

axle clean and press
bar 10x 170 3x, 210 4x, 230 3x, 265 1x. got it to my sternum for a second rep but dropped it. got a bruise on my rib and my sternum took a beating from the continental cleans.

bent rows w/ axle bar

230 5x, 280 5x, 320 5x, 280 3x, 230 7x.

tricep pushdown/dizenzo rows 3x10

cable flies 1x8.

had a ridiculous assistance work day. took alot of NO stuff before hand and was hitting 3-5 more reps past failure.

shake
2 bananas
2 cups of milk
2 scoops of monster milk protein

bulk burger
1lb of bison meat
6 pieces of bacon
2 slices of pepper jack cheese on top.

weighed 236.5 after that feast. stay animal.

Thrawn
08-19-08, 4:29 am
Bloody big workout and big food to top it off!! THAT is how you grow and get stronger. Awesome, boar!!

boar
08-20-08, 10:35 pm
had a long day today. couldnt fall asleep until 3 and woke up at 5 to caddy. got up to the country club at 6 30am and didnt start until 11 20. its like going to your job and standing outside your desk. got done with my loop at 5 30pm totally burnt. No excuses had to go to the gym......

started with some zerchers with 1 inch bar

bar 70lb 5x, 160 3x, 250 3x, 340 2x, 0x, 2x 250 5x. was only going parallel. thought that this would carry over to picking up the conans wheel.

rack deads w/ axle just below knee

250 3x, 340 1x, 430 1x, 520 0x, 480 1x, 500 1x, 520 2x.

right after this ran outside and yuked my preworkout drink up. I yelled to my buddy tommy just another day at the office. He replied back you must feel better after that.

leg press/leg curl 3x8

pullups 15

decent session for the day I had today. gotta keep truckin...

mcbeast
08-20-08, 10:55 pm
Good work today..and thanks for the advice

Young&Hungry
08-20-08, 11:00 pm
Been up to some serious training bro, awesome shit. I can see those zerchers having a legit carryover to the conan's wheel so long as you do them beltless to jack up your core even more. Really like the layout of everything you've been doing. Once you get back to Q-Pac-ing it I'll give you a hand on your cleans. I'm gonna dabble in at least 12 weeks of straight up olympic lifting after my competition. You can press a lot more than you can clean so I think once that goes up you're gonna be doing some SERIOUS damage in any overhead event at any show.

boar
08-22-08, 11:29 am
Been up to some serious training bro, awesome shit. I can see those zerchers having a legit carryover to the conan's wheel so long as you do them beltless to jack up your core even more. Really like the layout of everything you've been doing. Once you get back to Q-Pac-ing it I'll give you a hand on your cleans. I'm gonna dabble in at least 12 weeks of straight up olympic lifting after my competition. You can press a lot more than you can clean so I think once that goes up you're gonna be doing some SERIOUS damage in any overhead event at any show.

sounds like a plan man. I m sticking to only cleaning and pressing with the axle bar. I will never have any pressing events w/ a standard barbell so why train with it? I think i might start doing high pulls to help with my continental clean. The higher I get the bar the less work I have to do on the clean.

boar
08-25-08, 9:43 pm
started off with barbell push press
185, 225, 245, 265, 285 3x. hit my chin with the bar between 2nd and 3rd rep w/ 285. should have gotten 4 reps.

dumbell row 100lb/dizenzo row 3x8

skullz, upright row 3x8

cable flies 1x15

12 pullups

shake
2 cups milk
2 scoops monster milk whey
banana, alot strawberries

dairy queen blizzard oreo

3 quartah pound eye rounds
sweet potatoe.

mcbeast
08-25-08, 9:49 pm
strong pressing brotha!

boar
08-26-08, 7:21 pm
started doing some safety bar squats. Treating it like a norm bar on the stats but is was 15-20lbs heavier

bar-315 5x
365 3x, 6x

on these next sets I held onto handles on the rack. Made it a little easier to squat with UB stability.

405 4x, 455 1x, 495 1x. Ended up hitting a single at little over 500lbs which is not too shabby.

reverse hyper/ vertical leg press 2x10

boots 6x

bike 5 min

Thrawn
08-27-08, 4:40 am
Way to kill those wheels, boar! Pretty impressive workout!!
I would love to try those safety bar squats. Too bad that kind of equipment is not to be found at gyms here...

boar
09-02-08, 9:24 pm
didnt get the chance to post last saturdays workout.

Event day 8/30/08

Log press 12''
180 3x, 225 1x, 270 missed 2x

farmers walk 250lb implements
3 runs for 50ft
1st run no drops
2nd run 1 drop towards the end
3rd run dropped half way then finished

Stones As high as I could pick them up
240 4x, 275 2x, 3x

300 stone over 3 foot yoke bar 2x

I trained with Justin (strongman427). Justin was beasting the 14inch 7 foot long wooden log while I was struggling with 270lb he was hitting close to 350lb! Derek Poundstone and another pro Big Tom McClure were doing yoke while Justin and I were doing runs with the farmers implements. We all ended up doing stones together. Poundstone and Tom were tossing the 275 stone over a 6 foot yoke bar for reps like it was a loaf of bread. I ended up just picking the stone as high as I could and then lowered the yoke to hit the 300lb stone for a double. Great day today good to see derek before the world strongman comp where he is going to tear it up and rep ct strongmen right!

boar
09-02-08, 9:40 pm
incline press
225 3x5, 10x

cable flies 3x10 super set pullups 8,6,9

max dips: 17

gravity boots 6x

Just a quick upper body session. Back was tight for some reason today and looking to do some light pulling tomorrow.

Thrawn
09-03-08, 4:31 am
Man, tearing it up with those big monsters like Poundstone and McClure must have had you FIRED up like hell and then some. Great training and great experience, boar!!!
Keep lifting it all up like lightweights!!

boar
09-05-08, 9:03 am
9/3/08

trap bar deads
warmups 135-315 plate jumps
405 5x did it all in one breath saw stars afterwards was pretty cool, 455 5x, 500 4x.

shrugs 405 2x10
t bars 4 pl 2x10

boots 15x

boar
09-06-08, 8:35 pm
preworkout supps
diner
4 egg omellete
2 pancakes
homefries and 4 pieces of buttered toast

workout
log press
135 2x5, 185 1x5, 224 3,1,1.

yoke
300x50ft 500x50 600x50 7002x30. first run at 700 dropped after 20ft. second run at it was flawless.

had a good squatting session afterwards. core felt really solid and form was in check.
225, 315 2x5
405 6x

post workout
meal 1
shake

meal 2
1lb bison meat with potatoes

meal 3
chinese
spare ribs
chicken broccoli and rice.

Eat big. Lift big.

mcbeast
09-06-08, 11:01 pm
Damn heavy work.

Thrawn
09-07-08, 2:47 pm
Indeed. Awesome workload!! Strong, brother!!

boar
09-09-08, 12:08 pm
Bench
work sets
275, 295, 315 for triples. Held breath for whole time w/ 315 felt like I was going to pass out. pretty cool.

barbell curls, dumbell mili's 3x10

skullz/dips 2x10

cable flies/pullups 2x10

got a good pump today. Getting up there in weight appetite has been stupid latley.

Big Wides
09-09-08, 12:20 pm
Bench
work sets
275, 295, 315 for triples. Held breath for whole time w/ 315 felt like I was going to pass out. pretty cool.

barbell curls, dumbell mili's 3x10

skullz/dips 2x10

cable flies/pullups 2x10

got a good pump today. Getting up there in weight appetite has been stupid latley.

Soild job boar, i like the quote "felt like I was going to pass out, pretty cool".... looking damn good brother

jer
09-09-08, 6:46 pm
Strong squat today brother.

Keep kickin ass. See ya in the gym.