PDA

View Full Version : Ask The Powerlifters...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

brandonA
07-24-07, 6:16 pm
We are lucky enough to have some of the best Powerlifters in the world on the Forvm. A wealth of information and experience walking amongst us. My hope with this thread to open a question and answer session so that all of the great information can be shared by all..I am giving my thanks in advance to the powerlifters for there help.....

-B

brandonA
07-24-07, 6:18 pm
Hello all....

What advise would you give a beginner PL?

-B

Maccabee
07-25-07, 12:28 am
I am no expert powerlifter but being that this is my second week powerlifting I would have to say the most important thing to get done first is the form. With powerlifting everything is different. The form I had previously as a bodybuilder with deads, squats, and benching has all changed. So I think the most important thing is to get the form down nice and perfect. Bad form = Injury.

I learnt the form quickly regarding deads and squats because I have been lifting for a little while now so learning the form is pretty easy once you got some experience. But then again what I learnt with powerlifting is that even a small change in form, suits, etc... will change the outcome of your lift.

Big Dog
07-25-07, 12:53 am
Hello all....

What advise would you give a beginner PL?

-B
With my 25+ years in this sport, The 1st bit of advice would be ; ALWAYS KEEP AN OPEN MIND!!!! The moment you think you know everything, that's the time you need to go home and pick up a new hobby. I'm constantly learning new ways of doing things. whether its from a old dog who's been thru a few battles or a newbie who might have a fresh perspective on things.

What burns me the most is when i see guys spinning their wheels in the gym and piss and moan about their lack of progress, but won't open their ears and listen to someone who's been there and done that.I've been accused of trying to sabotage someone's training by suggesting they try doing things a different way. I got nothing to gain by supposedly keeping someone down. All i try to do is pass on knowledge that was imparted to me by someone teaching me or by gaining it through hard work.

EASIEST THING YOU CAN DO IS KEEP AN OPEN MIND AND SEEK THOSE WHO ARE STRONGER THAN YOU AND LEARN FROM THEM, AND YOU IN TURN WILL BECOME STRONGER,WISER PERSON.

norrim1
07-25-07, 12:57 am
With my 25+ years in this sport, The 1st bit of advice would be ; ALWAYS KEEP AN OPEN MIND!!!! The moment you think you know everything, that's the time you need to go home and pick up a new hobby. I'm constantly learning new ways of doing things. whether its from a old dog who's been thru a few battles or a newbie who might have a fresh perspective on things.

What burns me the most is when i see guys spinning their wheels in the gym and piss and moan about their lack of progress, but won't open their ears and listen to someone who's been there and done that.I've been accused of trying to sabotage someone's training by suggesting they try doing things a different way. I got nothing to gain by supposedly keeping someone down. All i try to do is pass on knowledge that was imparted to me by someone teaching me or by gaining it through hard work.

EASIEST THING YOU CAN DO IS KEEP AN OPEN MIND AND SEEK THOSE WHO ARE STRONGER THAN YOU AND LEARN FROM THEM, AND YOU IN TURN WILL BECOME STRONGER,WISER PERSON.

I am interested in some powerlifting techniques. I have always modeled my routine off bodybuilding. I would like to do lift some heavier weights to build more dense muscles. How much more different is it? Bench pressing for instance, what kind of rep ranges? Do boards and lockouts help build strength?

mark
07-25-07, 12:59 am
Form and finding people with experience. Also, if they're use to classical bodybuilding body part split style workouts, have them dump everything they know about lifting and make them realize that in the world of powerlifting that they know very little and have minimal time under the bar as far as powerlifting is concerned.

Big Dog
07-25-07, 1:20 am
I am interested in some powerlifting techniques. I have always modeled my routine off bodybuilding. I would like to do lift some heavier weights to build more dense muscles. How much more different is it? Bench pressing for instance, what kind of rep ranges? Do boards and lockouts help build strength?

YES bodybuilding & powerlifting use different techniques. the bench for instance, in powerlifting you aren't too worried about building mass. mass will come with strength. you usually bench elbows out and the bar is brought higher on the chest. in powerlifting, the elbows are kept in. To building and the bar is brought lower towards the low pec/sternum.To build strong tri's you stick to heavy pressing movements and skip skull crushers, pushdowns and a majority of bodybulding movements.

The squat is also drastically different.The emphasis is not on the quads, but utilizing the entire lower half of your body: quads, hips, hamstrings and YOUR BUTT!!!!! and the stance is generally wider.

I could spend hours throwing things at you. The best way to learn is take things in steps, ask questions, seek out powerlifters in your area, attend a powerlifting meet and soak in the environment. i guarantee you once you walk in, you won't walk out the same person.

Good luck and Best wishes my friend!!!

norrim1
07-25-07, 1:23 am
YES bodybuilding & powerlifting use different techniques. the bench for instance, in powerlifting you aren't too worried about building mass. mass will come with strength. you usally bench elbows out and the bar is brought higher on the chest. in powerlifting, the elbows are kept . To building and the bar is brought lower towards the low pec/sternum.To build strong tri's you stick to heavy pressing movements and skip skull crushers, pushdowns and a majority of bodybulding movements.

The squat is also drastically different.The emphasis is not on the quads, but utilizing the entire lower half of your body: quads, hips, hamstrings and YOUR BUTT!!!!! and the stance is generally wider.

I could spend hours throwing things at you. The best way to learn is take things in steps, ask questions, seek out powerlifters in your area, attend a powerlifting meet and soak in the environment. i guarantee you once you walk in, you won't walk out the same person.

Good luck and Best wishes my friend!!!

Thanks for the advice Big Dog!

Maccabee
07-25-07, 1:24 am
Form and finding people with experience. Also, if they're use to classical bodybuilding body part split style workouts, have them dump everything they know about lifting and make them realize that in the world of powerlifting that they know very little and have minimal time under the bar as far as powerlifting is concerned.

Very true. At first I tried to create my own routine but training bodyparts. In the process I found out I was wrong. I was pretty glad some of the powerlifters here helped me out to create a routine especially tek.

hjayss
07-25-07, 1:46 am
Yeah we got some of the real bad asses here in this sport. Big dog, srgt rock, eric downey, big jawn,powerfreak, beastofrage, kathy fields, and the new to the power game tek, mat, and pokritel lot of big helpful guys here and moe than happy to lend a hand Hope I did not miss anybody if so sorry but I regulerly see posts by these and they have helped me in some way.

norrim1
07-25-07, 1:51 am
Where I work out, there's only a smith machine. How much different in weight is it? Can I use this machine to my advantage?

mark
07-25-07, 3:34 am
Where I work out, there's only a smith machine. How much different in weight is it? Can I use this machine to my advantage?

Find a way to get to a real gym with real free weights. You'll have to sacrifice, but nothing is as good as training on real free weights.

Toni69
07-25-07, 3:57 am
Ok...we cant possibly expect the PL's to break it all down in words cause that would take loads of their time and could get confusing. How about a decent PL'ing website or two..maybe with vids or pics of how PL'ing exercises are properly performed and explained so we can refer to them whenever we want. I do searches all the time and sometimes I get very frustrated cause I dont like the site or whatever.

I am a competing FBB..and now Im taking this clean bulk time to build mass and gain strength and size, so my girl NPC Chicka is easing my way into the PL'ing scene for a bit. Now, I understand when she or others here explain how to perform most PL'ing moves, but I am more of a visual learner. Sometimes it is also hard to explain certain moves in words. Any recommendations on reliable and good sites on powerlifting? Beginner, intermediate..whatever you got!

Thanks!!

mark
07-25-07, 6:38 am
Check out www.elitefts.com they have a great exercise index on their q&a. Plus if you want the best how to do the lifts, taught in the most basic terms imaginable, then i would highly suggest you buy their Bench and Squat and deadlift Exercise Index DVDs. One of the best investments a newbie can make.

Powerfreak
07-25-07, 8:37 am
I guess I will just sit back and let Gene answer all of the questions.Lol
One thing that I will suggest is that you may want to follow some of the journal entries from the powerlifters on the board.
Some of us are currently training for major events and you can follow our progress to the event.
Also, I have posted quite a few video's of the squat bench and deadlift performed by myself and my team members.

The_Dude
07-25-07, 8:51 am
Here's a kick ass site that some cats on here have posted vids on. http://ironscene.com/index.php

I've learned ALOT from watching vids on that web site. I'm still new to this great sport and It's helped me alot since I took it up. And BigDog hit the nail on the head, you have to HAVE AN OPEN MIND. Well said there brother.

brandonA
07-25-07, 6:01 pm
Think that a link to Powerfreak's Training vid should be in here...so here it is....Grab your Oreos and pay attention..

http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=9126

-B

brandonA
07-26-07, 11:15 am
I have a couple of questions for ya this morning....I am starting a basic 5x5 program working my way up to a Westside program....

I will be benching and squating 3 days a week and deads one....I was thinking that it may be a good thing to alt. weeks with standard banch, squat and deads with pin presses, box squats and rack pulls, what do you guys think?

Also on the pin presses, how high would you set the pins? I understand the pin presses to be the same as board pressing, so if I am having trouble about 4" off the chest is this where I need to put the pins? or would higher put more work on the tris?

Thanks for your help..

-B

Medford
07-26-07, 11:21 am
I bought the Bev Francis' Power Bodybuilding book a while ago. Even though it's written by a female, beginners could learn from it on how to mix the two.

Powerfreak
07-26-07, 11:23 am
I have a couple of questions for ya this morning....I am starting a basic 5x5 program working my way up to a Westside program....

I will be benching and squating 3 days a week and deads one....I was thinking that it may be a good thing to alt. weeks with standard banch, squat and deads with pin presses, box squats and rack pulls, what do you guys think?

Also on the pin presses, how high would you set the pins? I understand the pin presses to be the same as board pressing, so if I am having trouble about 4" off the chest is this where I need to put the pins? or would higher put more work on the tris?

Thanks for your help..

-B
You are going to bench and squat 3 days a week? Am I reading that right?
Pm me and I will give you my phone number, we need to talk.

brandonA
07-26-07, 1:39 pm
You are going to bench and squat 3 days a week? Am I reading that right?
Pm me and I will give you my phone number, we need to talk.

Allright after a great phone call with Powerfreak, I am all straighted out..I will post what we talked about a little later on...

Thanks for the time big guy and take care of that cough...

-B

Medford
07-28-07, 12:12 pm
QUESTION:

who makes the best powerlifting squat knee wraps and do they sell them on the internet?

mark
07-29-07, 3:55 am
QUESTION:

who makes the best powerlifting squat knee wraps and do they sell them on the internet?
Well if you just want a good pair of wraps to use in any fed, i would get the Metal All Black 2meter wraps from www.elitefts.com. If those are too pricey for you, either get the TPX wraps from Titan or followed by Inzer Z wraps. Those are the wraps that i have gotten the best results from, but remember, what works for me doesn't necessarily work for anyone else.

grissinger
07-29-07, 12:08 pm
I like the Inzer wraps, inzer.com but I heard the Metal are great. You have to know how to use them to get the full advantage. I mean rolling them. It is a forearm workout getting them ready to wrap.

Toni69
07-29-07, 12:14 pm
I bought the Bev Francis' Power Bodybuilding book a while ago. Even though it's written by a female, beginners could learn from it on how to mix the two.

I just competed in her show in NY this June..she was very busy the day I was there but she is cool as shit. I always liked her...ever since Pumpin Iron 2...which is extrmemly hard to find on dvd now.

This past week was my first week doing deads since before I started show prep for that show..they felt fantastic! My back held up and I was stronger than I thought I would be. Deads definitely rock! Would love to see vids of our beloved powerlifters here performing deads...and zerchers????

grissinger
07-29-07, 12:48 pm

Thanks for your help..

-B

Sounds like you have a program ready, don't want to muddy the waters. However, in the future if interested in a different approach google Stephen Korte 3x3, or go to deepsquatter.com. and find a good summary. You squat, dead and bench 3 times a week. Very similiar to Louie Simmons style except you only do the competition lifts. It is simple, 2 phases high volume and competition, and it works. Pretty sure it is one of the Eastern block philosophies, regardless some great PL'ers have used it. It isn't for me but I know 3 people that have gotten some quality results. On this site Dunk, a 181er that puts up some great numbers, and Big45's a 198er with great numbers use this, haven't seen him in a bit. Good Luck

lampi
07-29-07, 10:27 pm
Ok...we cant possibly expect the PL's to break it all down in words cause that would take loads of their time and could get confusing. How about a decent PL'ing website or two..maybe with vids or pics of how PL'ing exercises are properly performed and explained so we can refer to them whenever we want. I do searches all the time and sometimes I get very frustrated cause I dont like the site or whatever.

I ways back I put a non-commercial, personal site together, although haven't been religious about updating as of late...

Lampi's Powerlifting Resources (http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~malampi/pl.htm)

dubwize
07-30-07, 10:38 am
I ways back I put a non-commercial, personal site together, although haven't been religious about updating as of late...

Lampi's Powerlifting Resources (http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~malampi/pl.htm)

that link keeps crashing my browser for some reason, im on firefox.

you mark lampi from waterloo? just noticed from that link, its Dan from Toronto met back at the 2006 CPO bench meet, I came down with Clint if ya still remember.

Medford
07-30-07, 11:18 am
I'll try titans

got a link

mark
07-30-07, 8:09 pm
http://www.plgearonline.com/wraps.html

Its actually the THPs that you want. Sorry, been awhile since I've dealt with Titan.

lampi
07-30-07, 8:30 pm
that link keeps crashing my browser for some reason, im on firefox.

you mark lampi from waterloo? just noticed from that link, its Dan from Toronto met back at the 2006 CPO bench meet, I came down with Clint if ya still remember.

Hey Dan (Deperio, right?)- that's me, I remember you coming down. I'm down in the US now, but my site is still up at UW. Not sure why the link isn't working - I have firefox too, and I don't have any problems-just tried. Strange. Hope things are well.

BEASTOFRAGE
07-31-07, 1:55 am

i have to agree and i also have to admit that i was that person back in 03 til i learned to "open my mind" and i did. you have no idea on the wealth of knowledge u can gain from doin that. with this sport, u have to keep an open mind to anything and everything. if anything else, learn that part of the sport. i used to be against WSB for no reason til i tried it and ever since, my mind has been completely open for new things...cause u never know what might work...
TB

brandonA
07-31-07, 10:40 am
Couple of questions for the heavy lifters....

How wide is an illigal grip on bench? Outside of the rings?

I noticed that you guys (well, Southside folk anyhow) wear wrist wraps while doing squats, why?

-B

Powerfreak
07-31-07, 10:54 am
Couple of questions for the heavy lifters....

How wide is an illigal grip on bench? Outside of the rings?

I noticed that you guys (well, Southside folk anyhow) wear wrist wraps while doing squats, why?

-B

the widest you can go is index finger on the ring.
i will use middle finger for opener then index for heavier.(personal preference)

We wrap our wrists for the squat because you need to be able to support the bar on your back especially if it starts to roll.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/bdweston/?action=view&current=c5f303dc.flv
Also there are different ways to wrap for squat and bench.
I think I am actually going to do a wrap (not rap lol) vid.
I am going to do a deadlift and grappler vid tonight.

krazyassmexican
07-31-07, 10:57 am
it will be great to watch that video
i will use middle finger for opener then index for heavier.(personal preference)

We wrap our wrists for the squat because you need to be able to support the bar on your back especially if it starts to roll.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/bdweston/?action=view&current=c5f303dc.flv

brandonA
07-31-07, 10:58 am

Awesome Bro, thanks, I put my index finger on the ring and that feels good...I did some grappler work last night witht he bar in the corner, shit kills, will be going that again and again...

-B

Powerfreak
07-31-07, 11:02 am
Awesome Bro, thanks, I put my index finger on the ring and that feels good...I did some grappler work last night witht he bar in the corner, shit kills, will be going that again and again...

-B

Be careful, A grip that wide is designed to be used with a bench shirt, without a shirt I put my little finger on the ring for more triceps action and to protect the shoulders. (yet another video to come)lol

B

brandonA
07-31-07, 11:11 am
Be careful, A grip that wide is designed to be used with a bench shirt, without a shirt I put my little finger on the ring for more triceps action and to protect the shoulders. (yet another video to come)lol

B

I will give that a try tomarrow, that is the way I have always done it, of course that dont make it right....lol...Thanks bro..

-B

The_Dude
07-31-07, 1:38 pm
Please explain "Speed day". Specifically for a bench speed day, what would you typically do on a bench speed day and what percentage of weight would you consider pushing? Thanks

IRBS
07-31-07, 2:04 pm
Please explain "Speed day". Specifically for a bench speed day, what would you typically do on a bench speed day and what percentage of weight would you consider pushing? Thanks

Dynamic Effort = Speed

You use between 50-60% of your 1RM. 10 sets of 2 reps is pretty popular. The idea is speed and form. Explode from the chest and fire the bar as quickly as you can. The same goes for Squatting. Usually DE Squats are done to a box.

I dont do a DE Bench day because of how brutal it can be on the elbows.

Hope that helps.

Powerfreak
07-31-07, 2:16 pm
Dynamic Effort = Speed

You use between 50-60% of your 1RM. 10 sets of 2 reps is pretty popular. The idea is speed and form. Explode from the chest and fire the bar as quickly as you can. The same goes for Squatting. Usually DE Squats are done to a box.

Hope that helps.

That is pretty much the gist of it. I also incorporate bands ,chains and boards into this day, a also I tend to go wit 5 sets of three reps for the working sets.

The_Dude
07-31-07, 2:34 pm
Dynamic Effort = Speed

Hope that helps.

Yes, that does clarify everything. Thanks for lookin out bro. What's the rest time in between each set? I would think it's about 1 minute? Correct?

The_Dude
07-31-07, 2:35 pm
That is pretty much the gist of it. I also incorporate bands ,chains and boards into this day, a also I tend to go wit 5 sets of three reps for the working sets.

Thanks for the additional info there Powerfreak.

IRBS
07-31-07, 2:49 pm
Yes, that does clarify everything. Thanks for lookin out bro. What's the rest time in between each set? I would think it's about 1 minute? Correct?

No problem, 30-45 seconds...

The_Dude
07-31-07, 3:03 pm
No problem, 30-45 seconds...

Cool. Thanks again guys.

Powerfreak
07-31-07, 3:36 pm

Speed day does not refer to the time it takes to do the workout.This ain't a bodybuilding weightloss or circuit training routine.
take enough time between sets to be completely rested and able to give 100% on each set on every rep.
These are explosive reps and will require all of your energy,and concentration.

IRBS
07-31-07, 3:47 pm
Speed day does not refer to the time it takes to do the workout.This ain't a bodybuilding weightloss or circuit training routine.
take enough time between sets to be completely rested and able to give 100% on each set on every rep.
These are explosive reps and will require all of your energy,and concentration.

True as well. It is much more taxing than you would think...

The_Dude
07-31-07, 4:39 pm
I hate to be a nuisance or impose, I just want to make sure I get this straight. So my 1RM is 245, 60% of that is 147. I would need to do about 10 sets of 2-3 with this weight and strictly working on speed and form. Correct?

IRBS
07-31-07, 4:50 pm
I hate to be a nuisance or impose, I just want to make sure I get this straight. So my 1RM is 245, 60% of that is 147. I would need to do about 10 sets of 2-3 with this weight and strictly working on speed and form. Correct?

Thats right...its all about speed, explosiveness, and form. Dont worry about the weight...or lackthereof.

The_Dude
07-31-07, 4:57 pm
RIGHT ON! THank you kind sir(s). Appreciate your assistance with this matter.

IRBS
07-31-07, 5:00 pm
RIGHT ON! THank you kind sir(s). Appreciate your assistance with this matter.

No problem

mark
07-31-07, 8:43 pm
But... I believe speed work, aka Dynamic Effort (DE), should be preformed in a manner to reflect the means of training.

For example, I do bench work once a week. On weeks where I do "DE" bench work, I fluctuate between 70-80% with an appropriate set/rep scheme based on Prelipen's chart, and Siff's variation of said chart. The intensity and rep/set scheme is also dependent on what, if any, gear that I'm wearing for the workout.

On the contrary, most people who's training is based on the principles of Westside use only 50-60% as per IRBS' prior posts on the subject. This is more so because they do bench work twice a week, and use cool things like bands and chains.

And on the topic of rest periods while doing speed work. Ask 100 lifters this, and get 100 different answers. In theory, the reason the rest periods are recommended for 45-60seconds is that is the believed quickest time necessary for the CNS to recover from the set, while continuing to fatigue the fast twitch muscle fibers. That, in theory, should cause the body to adapt to the stress via an increase fast twitch muscle fiber production. Yes, that bullshit genetics excuse of not being born with enough fast twitch muscle fibers is in fact, bull shit (to a degree of course; but really, outside of Olympic caliber sprinters, it really is a bull shit excuse).

However, it should be noted that the above theory on rest periods coincides more so with a classical WSB approach to speed work. If one trains with heavier loads than a slight increase in rest periods is fine, or you can just get in shape and still be able to hold yourself to the shorter rest periods...

I'm Edge-u-ma-cated,
mark

IRBS
07-31-07, 9:39 pm
But... I believe speed work, aka Dynamic Effort (DE), should be preformed in a manner to reflect the means of training.

For example, I do bench work once a week. On weeks where I do "DE" bench work, I fluctuate between 70-80% with an appropriate set/rep scheme based on Prelipen's chart, and Siff's variation of said chart. The intensity and rep/set scheme is also dependent on what, if any, gear that I'm wearing for the workout.

On the contrary, most people who's training is based on the principles of Westside use only 50-60% as per IRBS' prior posts on the subject. This is more so because they do bench work twice a week, and use cool things like bands and chains.

And on the topic of rest periods while doing speed work. Ask 100 lifters this, and get 100 different answers. In theory, the reason the rest periods are recommended for 45-60seconds is that is the believed quickest time necessary for the CNS to recover from the set, while continuing to fatigue the fast twitch muscle fibers. That, in theory, should cause the body to adapt to the stress via an increase fast twitch muscle fiber production. Yes, that bullshit genetics excuse of not being born with enough fast twitch muscle fibers is in fact, bull shit (to a degree of course; but really, outside of Olympic caliber sprinters, it really is a bull shit excuse).

However, it should be noted that the above theory on rest periods coincides more so with a classical WSB approach to speed work. If one trains with heavier loads than a slight increase in rest periods is fine, or you can just get in shape and still be able to hold yourself to the shorter rest periods...

I'm Edge-u-ma-cated,
mark

Way to rain on the parade mark, LOL!! You hit it the nail on the head.

Go eat some poki...

BEASTOFRAGE
07-31-07, 10:38 pm

B

i've had to do the same thing after my own bout with shoulder problems...when i bench raw, i'm close in but when i'm in my shirt, i'm wide-out...this i believe will helpout beginners to do from the get go...
TB

BEASTOFRAGE
07-31-07, 10:43 pm
Dynamic Effort = Speed

Hope that helps.

i'm goin to take this a step further...
from what i've seen with will and jay(roadblock), this is what i recommend...
instead of doin 10 sets of 3, modify it to do maybe 10-15 sets of 1 rep with the rest period bein between 15-20 seconds and the bar weight bein maybe 60-65%. think about this...when u are in competition, your only doin ONE REP so why not practice that one rep and make it fast! most people are faster on the 2nd and/or 3rd rep...

one more step further...the use of bands and chains will help to accelerate the speed.

another step....go about 6-7 singles with the band/chains and go another 5 singles w/o them to restabilize and dial-in the speed. this will do wonders for work capacity like u wouldn't believe...

the same "madness" would apply to squattin and pullin too btw...keep in mind, this is just an idea but give it a whirl...
TB

mark
07-31-07, 11:09 pm
Way to rain on the parade mark, LOL!! You hit it the nail on the head.

Go eat some poki...

lol, i tend to be good at that one... and Yes, you are right Will, eating more Poki is truly the easiest, and most simple answer. Poki, it'll make you strong, it'll make you cut... damn, its just down right the best thing to eat for powerlifting.

BEASTOFRAGE
07-31-07, 11:31 pm
lol, i tend to be good at that one... and Yes, you are right Will, eating more Poki is truly the easiest, and most simple answer. Poki, it'll make you strong, it'll make you cut... damn, its just down right the best thing to eat for powerlifting.

and i also heard that poki makes u into a being of pure evil! LOL!!
TB

norrim1
07-31-07, 11:37 pm
When doing speed training on the bench for example, do you continously push the weight or should there be a second or two between reps?

mark
08-01-07, 1:19 am
and i also heard that poki makes u into a being of pure evil! LOL!!
TB Lmao! There's a reason i earned the name The Devil's Child... The Poki just feeds and empowers the Strength and Rage within...

mark
08-01-07, 1:22 am
When doing speed training on the bench for example, do you continously push the weight or should there be a second or two between reps?

I say pause, it'll help build your technique better.

dominate77
08-01-07, 2:16 am
i have a question about nutrition. Is there a certain amount of protein and carbs that a powerlifter sets out each day to consume or is that strictly bodybuilding? and also, do you eat several meals a day or just something like 3 large ones

also do you time your rests between sets? or just go by feel

mark
08-01-07, 3:42 am
Eat enough to recover from training... Rest as long as you need within reason... When in doubt, apply common sense...

Matt81
08-01-07, 8:39 am
Hi Guys

I was wondering if you would be able to give me some advice regarding my current training split.

I am planning on competing in a 3 lift powerlifting comp in the future (september) but am struggling to adjust my training to improve in all three lifts at once. My main area to improve is the squat.

Current raw maxes are Bench 280, Dead 445.5 x 3 (was supposed to be a max attempt but I got a triple), squat 374. I am yet to use any shirts/suits. Weigh about 185-190 and am 5' 7"

Currently my bench and deadlift are improving while my squat is poor.

My current training is in my journey log but basically concentrates on flat bench, deadlift, OHP then squat, (M, W, F, Sun) with additional exercises following these.

I am keen to try a new training system, based on a more powerlifting orientated style and have read a lot about WSB, however I don't currently have chains or bands to do the DE work. Is it worth incorporating these techniques without chains/bands?

Could I adjust my current training to accomodate these days or would it be best to start from fresh with a new system?

Any advice greatfully received!

IRBS
08-01-07, 8:40 am

Poki, the gift that keeps on giving...

BEASTOFRAGE
08-01-07, 10:55 am
Hi Guys

I was wondering if you would be able to give me some advice regarding my current training split.

I am planning on competing in a 3 lift powerlifting comp in the future (september) but am struggling to adjust my training to improve in all three lifts at once. My main area to improve is the squat.

Current raw maxes are Bench 280, Dead 445.5 x 3 (was supposed to be a max attempt but I got a triple), squat 374. I am yet to use any shirts/suits. Weigh about 185-190 and am 5' 7"

Currently my bench and deadlift are improving while my squat is poor.

My current training is in my journey log but basically concentrates on flat bench, deadlift, OHP then squat, (M, W, F, Sun) with additional exercises following these.

I am keen to try a new training system, based on a more powerlifting orientated style and have read a lot about WSB, however I don't currently have chains or bands to do the DE work. Is it worth incorporating these techniques without chains/bands?

Could I adjust my current training to accomodate these days or would it be best to start from fresh with a new system?

Any advice greatfully received!

hit me up via PM on this on bro...i can help...
TB

Big Dog
08-01-07, 6:31 pm

The point of speed work is to do the work sets as quickly as possible
EX; speed bench 8 sets of 3reps

the 3 reps should be completed in the same amount of time as it would take you to complete 1 rep in competition. You should only be taking no more than 1 minute between sets, that will raise your G.P.P. {General Physical Preparedness} basically meaning yopur body's ability to handle a higher workload.

It's a nutbuster but it's a valuable tool for the beginner and intermediate lifter.

Tha faster you move the bar, the quicker the completion.

The_Dude
08-02-07, 3:08 pm
WOW! I haven't checked this thread for a day or so and alot of info. Thanks BEAST, PF, BigDog, IRBS and mark for your info on this. It make ALOT more sense now. looking forward to my speed day tomorrow.

BEASTOFRAGE
08-02-07, 7:57 pm
here are some training templates:
http://www.trainordie.com/members/programs
TB

T. Kemble
08-02-07, 8:02 pm
i posted one of louie's articles on the use of bands and chains so search for it and you are good to go.

Matt81
08-03-07, 6:16 am
Thanks for all the help bros, I'm still reading through all the info!

link to the bands and chains article posted by tek
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=2255

Thanks bro!

Powerfreak
08-03-07, 7:37 am
eat everything that ain't nailed down and if it is find something to pry it up with.

As far as rest between sets, I try and take enough so that I am able to give 100% to each set and not still gassed from the last one.

dominate77
08-03-07, 2:07 pm
eat everything that ain't nailed down and if it is find something to pry it up with.

As far as rest between sets, I try and take enough so that I am able to give 100% to each set and not still gassed from the last one.

awesome thanks man

brandonA
08-04-07, 7:28 pm
Hey bros...

What makes a total "elite"

-B

BEASTOFRAGE
08-04-07, 10:19 pm
Hey bros...

-B

that depends on the organization your in. every organization has elite totals and they all differ. if your talkin about APF go here:
http://www.worldpowerliftingcongress.com

look at the elite totals in your weight class. if i'm not mistaken, an elite total at 275 is about 2000ish....
TB

Powerfreak
08-05-07, 9:37 am
Hey bros...

-B

Check out www.powerliftingwatch.com and www.ipapower.com

pdiesel
08-05-07, 9:50 am
I have a question about proper deadlift form. I notice that when I get to my max set, I lean slightly forward while lifting the weight. It's almost hard to push through my heels through the BOTTOM portion of the rep. At the top I'm fine, but it just seems that I'm leaning a bit too forward on the way up. I've been thinking that maybe the bar is too far from my body. Idk any tips as far as form is concerned?

Squat_Heavy
08-05-07, 9:52 am
I have a question about proper deadlift form. I notice that when I get to my max set, I lean slightly forward while lifting the weight. It's almost hard to push through my heels through the BOTTOM portion of the rep. At the top I'm fine, but it just seems that I'm leaning a bit too forward on the way up. I've been thinking that maybe the bar is too far from my body. Idk any tips as far as form is concerned?

Have the bar at your shins when you start pulling and sit your ass down

mark
08-05-07, 2:46 pm
Make sure your shoulder joint is behind the bar before you start pulling. Once the bar breaks the floor, start focusing on driving your head backwards and upwards at the sametime. Also remember that you should be bending over to some degree at the start to help activate the back.

The_Dude
08-08-07, 9:58 am
Have any of you ever had to loose any weight prior to a meet? If so, what do you do as far as eating, workouts and anything else to loose those pounds without loosing your strength? And if this does not matter than just let me know...LOL

Powerfreak
08-08-07, 10:43 am
Have any of you ever had to loose any weight prior to a meet? If so, what do you do as far as eating, workouts and anything else to loose those pounds without loosing your strength? And if this does not matter than just let me know...LOL

How much weight?

Squat_Heavy
08-08-07, 11:31 am
QUestion for you powerfreak, Had my first geartraining with the DL suit yesterday and i couldnt pull 230kgs, and thats 10-20kgs under my Raw PB. I lift 230+ raw at any day, how come i couldnt do it with the suit? Everything felt wrong when i sat down with the suit.

The_Dude
08-08-07, 12:56 pm
For now, about 10 lbs. Meet is in November. Reason I ask now is I have trouble loosing weight. THis way I can start loosing weight now and not worry about it then. My weight fluctuates between 230 and 233 as of right now.

Powerfreak
08-08-07, 1:01 pm
QUestion for you powerfreak, Had my first geartraining with the DL suit yesterday and i couldnt pull 230kgs, and thats 10-20kgs under my Raw PB. I lift 230+ raw at any day, how come i couldnt do it with the suit? Everything felt wrong when i sat down with the suit.

Hey Brother,
This is the norm for people just starting with equipment. It is definitely a whole different world.
it doesn't matter if it's a bench shirt, squat suit or deadlift suit, it takes time to learn the groove in equipment and to "break" it in.
Do not get frustrated, you will come around.
What kind of suit are you using? can you possibly send me a vid of your lifts?
i have had plenty of people,on the bench for example, that can bench 405 raw, but put them in a shirt and they aint even close. it is damn near a science when it comes to gear, it needs to be mastered to get the benefits.

The_Dude
08-08-07, 1:44 pm
How much weight?

For now, about 10 lbs. Meet is in November. Reason I ask now is I have trouble loosing weight. THis way I can start loosing weight now and not worry about it then. My weight fluctuates between 230 and 233 as of right now.

brandonA
08-08-07, 1:44 pm
After reading Powerfreaks latest log entry I have a question....kinda a two parter.....

1 - I read an articel that says that powerlifters/strenght athleates will make the best gains 10-20 lbs above thier target weight. Now i am not sure if the author was refering to compotion weight or overall body weight...So mu 1st question is what do you guys think? Do you try to stay close to your comp weight all year round? or shed some pounds close to your comp?

2 - My second question relates Gear to bodyweight..If you dont have a sponser, buying gear can get expensive. Reading threw some logs and contest reviews, I know that you do not want new gear too close to comp time...So here is my question.....Is it best to order your equipment to size at your comp weight and diet down to fit? I dont really see an advantage to spending extra money on larger gear, then smaller gear....Well I guess if you are a year out or something......Did I anwser my own question?

Sorry it was so long..

-B

Powerfreak
08-08-07, 1:57 pm
After reading Powerfreaks latest log entry I have a question....kinda a two parter.....

1 - I read an articel that says that powerlifters/strenght athleates will make the best gains 10-20 lbs above thier target weight. Now i am not sure if the author was refering to compotion weight or overall body weight...So mu 1st question is what do you guys think? Do you try to stay close to your comp weight all year round? or shed some pounds close to your comp?

2 - My second question relates Gear to bodyweight..If you dont have a sponser, buying gear can get expensive. Reading threw some logs and contest reviews, I know that you do not want new gear too close to comp time...So here is my question.....Is it best to order your equipment to size at your comp weight and diet down to fit? I dont really see an advantage to spending extra money on larger gear, then smaller gear....Well I guess if you are a year out or something......Did I anwser my own question?

Sorry it was so long..

-B

If you do not have the luxury of a sponsor I would definitely get your gear to fit for the comp. even if it is a little big you can always throw on a bloat and gain 10 pounds or so the day before the meet.
Of course the ideal situation is to have gear to train in as well as comp gear.

brandonA
08-08-07, 2:00 pm
If you do not have the luxury of a sponsor I would definitely get your gear to fit for the comp. even if it is a little big you can always throw on a bloat and gain 10 pounds or so the day before the meet.
Of course the ideal situation is to have gear to train in as well as comp gear.

Cool...How soon before a comp do you train in the gear you will use in the meet?

Powerfreak
08-08-07, 2:01 pm

Sorry it was so long..

-B

Forgot to answer the first part.
it is nice to have a few extra pounds for the off season training, but try to keep it under control.I put on close to 50 pounds this last time out and tried a new weight class, my body was not happy with the gain and I did not get that much stronger, so now i am in the process of losing the weight.
It is much easier to stay within 10-15 pounds of contest weight.

brandonA
08-08-07, 2:10 pm
Sweet bro, thanks...I guess I will find out what weight class I will be in when my body levels out after the diet....

-B

Powerfreak
08-08-07, 2:13 pm
Cool...How soon before a comp do you train in the gear you will use in the meet?

I would try and get in it at about eight weeks out.

Squat_Heavy
08-08-07, 2:36 pm
Hey Brother,
This is the norm for people just starting with equipment. It is definitely a whole different world.
it doesn't matter if it's a bench shirt, squat suit or deadlift suit, it takes time to learn the groove in equipment and to "break" it in.
Do not get frustrated, you will come around.
What kind of suit are you using? can you possibly send me a vid of your lifts?
i have had plenty of people,on the bench for example, that can bench 405 raw, but put them in a shirt and they aint even close. it is damn near a science when it comes to gear, it needs to be mastered to get the benefits.

I am using a Titan NXG Deadlift conventional stance suit. I have videotaped one of the failed lifts from yesterday and can try to get som other footage and put up next week so you can see what is wrong.

Thanks alot PF, i just need to keep my head cool and know that it will come around in the end.

Powerfreak
08-08-07, 3:09 pm
I am using a Titan NXG Deadlift conventional stance suit. I have videotaped one of the failed lifts from yesterday and can try to get som other footage and put up next week so you can see what is wrong.

Thanks alot PF, i just need to keep my head cool and know that it will come around in the end.

Hey Brother,
Ya just gotta keep your head in the game and keep pushin' it.
I am sponsored by Inzer so I don't have a lot of experience with the titan suit but if I can see a vid i can probably help out.

Squat_Heavy
08-08-07, 3:35 pm
Hey Brother,
Ya just gotta keep your head in the game and keep pushin' it.
I am sponsored by Inzer so I don't have a lot of experience with the titan suit but if I can see a vid i can probably help out.

Yeahi guess the suit will come around. im 7 weeks out so it better come around quick, Got my new squatshoes, deadliftsocks and a squatsuit today too. Metal Viking V-squatter, gonna try it out on friday.

Powerfreak
08-08-07, 3:38 pm
Yeahi guess the suit will come around. im 7 weeks out so it better come around quick, Got my new squatshoes, deadliftsocks and a squatsuit today too. Metal Viking V-squatter, gonna try it out on friday.

This close to the meet ya gotta MAKE it work.

Squat_Heavy
08-08-07, 3:43 pm
This close to the meet ya gotta MAKE it work.

Yeah, i have used a benchshirt before so breaking that in is gonna go nicely, the squatsuit will be easier then the DL i think, if the DL wont work by week 5 i will fuck it and Deadlift raw.

Powerfreak
08-08-07, 3:45 pm
Yeah, i have used a benchshirt before so breaking that in is gonna go nicely, the squatsuit will be easier then the DL i think, if the DL wont work by week 5 i will fuck it and Deadlift raw.

Go with what ya know Brother!

Squat_Heavy
08-08-07, 3:46 pm
Go with what ya know Brother!

I will keep you posted on how it goes!

mark
08-08-07, 7:17 pm

Sorry it was so long..

-B

1) The 10-20lbs over is ideal with 24hr weigh ins, however, certain feds like the USAPL/IPF have 2 hour weigh ins. If you're going to be competing in that organization, I would recommend that you stay no more than 5lbs heavier than your weight class. With only 2 hours to weigh in, its going to be too hard to regain weigh if you have dehydrate to make weight. No point in being 10+lbs heavy during training, only to diet and have loose fitting gear come meet time. If you're with in 5lbs, you'll be fine in terms of the gear fitting normally come meet time for a USAPL/IPF meet.

2) I think i may have answered that in number 1.

Hope this gives another perspective.

-mark

MetalAsh12
08-08-07, 10:25 pm
Alright; in the market for a singlet and possibly a bench shirt...
Should I purchase both if possible... or is a singlet sufficient for all 3 lifts?

BEASTOFRAGE
08-08-07, 10:52 pm
Alright; in the market for a singlet and possibly a bench shirt...
Should I purchase both if possible... or is a singlet sufficient for all 3 lifts?

that depends if your goin raw on squats and deads, then yea, u will need a singlet. most meets won't allow shorts. and i would get a bench shirt too if u plan on using one...
TB

brandonA
08-11-07, 7:29 pm
Chains Vs. Bands...Lets say for the bench....

What is the main differences between the two? One better than the other? Time in which you would use them?

Here is what I understand of the two...

Chains add weight at top of movement
Bands add weight during whole movement, more at the top...

Chains and bands during squats and deads? do you guys use them?

-B

Matt81
08-12-07, 12:01 pm
I have a template whihc I am following, it utilises ME squat/dead followed by ME bench, then the DE days. Is this the usual pattern, I would have put an ME day followed by the opposite movement DE day, does it matter? What tdo you guys find works best?

Thanks
Matt

BEASTOFRAGE
08-12-07, 1:32 pm
Chains Vs. Bands...Lets say for the bench....

What is the main differences between the two? One better than the other? Time in which you would use them?

Here is what I understand of the two...

Chains add weight at top of movement
Bands add weight during whole movement, more at the top...

Chains and bands during squats and deads? do you guys use them?

-B

BANDS- allow for "2-way" tension on the bar...meanin u have tension on the way down and back up. the bands will teach u to accerlerate thru the movement fast.

CHAINS- allow for additional resistsance at the top only but at the bottom, the chains deload. the chains will teach u to lock the weight out at the hardest point of the lift

here's the thing, BOTH are great to use on squats, bench, and deads. i don't believe one is better than the other IMO. u can add some sick weight/tension with bands more than chains. i did chains friday at NGBB and it was awesome. it was 550 at the chest but 750ish at lockout. my lockout will soon not be a issue.

u can use bands one week and chains another week. for a wicked combination of pain and torture, use them BOTH together. i've done this and its fuckin fun!

here's another point: as i found out thru the years, u have to use bands and chains to a means to an end. lifters had problems makin the transition from assisted work(bands/chains) to straight weight. i found out that if u do a few sets of straight weight after the use of bands and chains, the transition will be complete. this is more for stablizers than anything and body "remembers" to do what it did against bands and/or chains against straight weight.

so if u plan on using bands or chains, employ this idea as well. i've seen instances where lifters use chains too much and straight weight becomes a problem at lockout. with bands, using them too much will cause u to be a lot slower than normal against straight weight. if done the same session after all the work, u can make the transition a lot easier and u can keep the speed from the bands and/or the lockout and push with chains...
TB

BEASTOFRAGE
08-12-07, 1:35 pm
I have a template whihc I am following, it utilises ME squat/dead followed by ME bench, then the DE days. Is this the usual pattern, I would have put an ME day followed by the opposite movement DE day, does it matter? What tdo you guys find works best?

Thanks
Matt

that is the usual pattern there bro. when i was on WSB, i followed the template to the letter. now i have a ME bench, ME squat/dead and accessory day. i have a DE days once a month on bench and every 2 weeks on squats. but this is after some experience. u could do a ME bench and a DE squat day and then DE bench and ME squat day....that would work.
TB

brandonA
08-12-07, 1:36 pm
BANDS- allow for "2-way" tension on the bar...meanin u have tension on the way down and back up. the bands will teach u to accerlerate thru the movement fast.

CHAINS- allow for additional resistsance at the top only but at the bottom, the chains deload. the chains will teach u to lock the weight out at the hardest point of the lift

here's the thing, BOTH are great to use on squats, bench, and deads. i don't believe one is better than the other IMO. u can add some sick weight/tension with bands more than chains. i did chains friday at NGBB and it was awesome. it was 550 at the chest but 750ish at lockout. my lockout will soon not be a issue.

u can use bands one week and chains another week. for a wicked combination of pain and torture, use them BOTH together. i've done this and its fuckin fun!

here's another point: as i found out thru the years, u have to use bands and chains to a means to an end. lifters had problems makin the transition from assisted work(bands/chains) to straight weight. i found out that if u do a few sets of straight weight after the use of bands and chains, the transition will be complete. this is more for stablizers than anything and body "remembers" to do what it did against bands and/or chains against straight weight.

so if u plan on using bands or chains, employ this idea as well. i've seen instances where lifters use chains too much and straight weight becomes a problem at lockout. with bands, using them too much will cause u to be a lot slower than normal against straight weight. if done the same session after all the work, u can make the transition a lot easier and u can keep the speed from the bands and/or the lockout and push with chains...
TB

Great info thanks bro...Hopefully the bands will be here for DE bench on wensday...I will let you know how it goes...

-B

Matt81
08-12-07, 1:54 pm
that is the usual pattern there bro. when i was on WSB, i followed the template to the letter. now i have a ME bench, ME squat/dead and accessory day. i have a DE days once a month on bench and every 2 weeks on squats. but this is after some experience. u could do a ME bench and a DE squat day and then DE bench and ME squat day....that would work.
TB

Thanks for the advice, looks like it'll work either way! I'll see how I feel best.
Thanks again.

brandonA
08-14-07, 11:27 am
Hope I am not bugging anyone, but with you guys all over the counrty, I gotta aske some how...lol...

Last night doing my squating...I noticed that I am most weak fireing out of the hole, very strong at the top..Seems to be, judging by feel, that my hips may be weak(er)...So here is the question....Is this a problem that will work itself out while squating? Or is there something that I can work on to help it along?..Thanks bros...I know that this is all hard to help with in words and hopefully I can get some vids up soon...

-Brandon

IRBS
08-14-07, 11:36 am
Hope I am not bugging anyone, but with you guys all over the counrty, I gotta aske some how...lol...

Last night doing my squating...I noticed that I am most weak fireing out of the hole, very strong at the top..Seems to be, judging by feel, that my hips may be weak(er)...So here is the question....Is this a problem that will work itself out while squating? Or is there something that I can work on to help it along?..Thanks bros...I know that this is all hard to help with in words and hopefully I can get some vids up soon...

-Brandon

Box Squats. Parallel or Below. Also, hanging Leg Raises and Heavy Ab work. But I would squat to a box, it should help strengthen those hip flexors.

brandonA
08-14-07, 12:03 pm
Box Squats. Parallel or Below. Also, hanging Leg Raises and Heavy Ab work. But I would squat to a box, it should help strengthen those hip flexors.

Sweet, thanks bro...have to find a box....

-b

IRBS
08-14-07, 12:09 pm
Sweet, thanks bro...have to find a box....

-b

You can use the end of a bench if you need to. Anything to squat down too will work. Check out some vids on how to box squat properly too, it will help alot.

brandonA
08-14-07, 12:12 pm
You can use the end of a bench if you need to. Anything to squat down too will work. Check out some vids on how to box squat properly too, it will help alot.

Cool, I usally use a bench, all the one's at the gym sit me just about parrelle, if I want lower I will have to figure something out.....Thanks Bro...

-B

G Diesel
08-14-07, 12:20 pm
Considering I exist somewhere in the murky gray area between BBing and PLing, as I just seek to be as big and strong as possible, I have some questions, and since I have access to the best in the game right here, I might as well take advantage... These are questions that may have been on the minds of other bros as well, so I'll fire away.

Remember, if you ain't learning, you're dying...

1) If I either squat or dead, odds are I won't be able to do the other movement during the same week, because they both wreck my lower back. Do you guys alternate weeks between these critical mass movements?

2) As I've gotten bigger and stronger, I've lost shoulder/chest/torso flexibility which makes it hard for me to grab the bar properly to squat. Since some of you fellas are bigger than I am and still squat, what is the secret?

3) From a raw and conventional benching standpoint, what is the ideal strategy for pushing past a plateau (not employing boards, bands or chains)?

4) What other exercises do you consider critical to adding lbs to your bench?

5) On back day when I hit deads first, the rest of my workout suffers because my lower back is shot and I can't row as heavy as I'd like to. How do you fellas address this common issue?

Looking forward to learning from the masters. Thanks fellas. Peace, G

Powerfreak
08-14-07, 4:11 pm
Considering I exist somewhere in the murky gray area between BBing and PLing, as I just seek to be as big and strong as possible, I have some questions, and since I have access to the best in the game right here, I might as well take advantage... These are questions that may have been on the minds of other bros as well, so I'll fire away.

Remember, if you ain't learning, you're dying...

1) If I either squat or dead, odds are I won't be able to do the other movement during the same week, because they both wreck my lower back. Do you guys alternate weeks between these critical mass movements?

2) As I've gotten bigger and stronger, I've lost shoulder/chest/torso flexibility which makes it hard for me to grab the bar properly to squat. Since some of you fellas are bigger than I am and still squat, what is the secret?

3) From a raw and conventional benching standpoint, what is the ideal strategy for pushing past a plateau (not employing boards, bands or chains)?

4) What other exercises do you consider critical to adding lbs to your bench?

5) On back day when I hit deads first, the rest of my workout suffers because my lower back is shot and I can't row as heavy as I'd like to. How do you fellas address this common issue?

Looking forward to learning from the masters. Thanks fellas. Peace, G

#1 If I am going to squat and pull in the same week i will make sure that they are done as far a part as possible. Although i have fdound that it is usually only neccessary to pull once or twice a month.

#2 I am sure you have heard everyone say that you just need to stretch. Welll taht is a bunch of shit, while irt may help some generally ya just have to get the sand ou of your vagina and take a little pain for the first few sets. if ya notice a lot of the Bench specialists will use a safety squat bar which does not require that your hands be on the bar thus saving your shoulders.

#3 i would go back tothe old school 5sets of 5 reps and try to add ten pounds to your sets each week. before ya know it you will break through that plateau. big thing is just to change shit up and not do the same old crap week in and week out. if your body gets used to what you are doing then it has no reason to progress. Don't be scared to shake it up.

#4 ALL exercises are important to adding pounds to your bench!!! you are only as strong as your weakest link. heavy core work, squats, deadlifts, all of it. Train everything hard and heavy.....or just stay the fuck home.

#5 On the days that you deadlift YOU ONLY DEADLIFT!!!!! Nothing else, do the rest of that shit some other time, like on your alternate back day.
Keep shit simple and the results will come.

Hope this helps.

Brian

G Diesel
08-15-07, 10:08 am
#1 If I am going to squat and pull in the same week i will make sure that they are done as far a part as possible. Although i have fdound that it is usually only neccessary to pull once or twice a month.

#2 I am sure you have heard everyone say that you just need to stretch. Welll taht is a bunch of shit, while irt may help some generally ya just have to get the sand ou of your vagina and take a little pain for the first few sets. if ya notice a lot of the Bench specialists will use a safety squat bar which does not require that your hands be on the bar thus saving your shoulders.

#3 i would go back tothe old school 5sets of 5 reps and try to add ten pounds to your sets each week. before ya know it you will break through that plateau. big thing is just to change shit up and not do the same old crap week in and week out. if your body gets used to what you are doing then it has no reason to progress. Don't be scared to shake it up.

#4 ALL exercises are important to adding pounds to your bench!!! you are only as strong as your weakest link. heavy core work, squats, deadlifts, all of it. Train everything hard and heavy.....or just stay the fuck home.

#5 On the days that you deadlift YOU ONLY DEADLIFT!!!!! Nothing else, do the rest of that shit some other time, like on your alternate back day.
Keep shit simple and the results will come.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Awesome PF, thanks for the tough love and insight bro...

1) Makes sense...

2) Cleaning out sand as we speak... I guess the issue is more that I feel like I have to set the bar so fuckin high to be able to get under it and that my hands slide all the way out to where the pins meet the bar for me to feel comfortable.

3) Tried the 5 sets of 5, definitely good shit.

4) Oh man, if I'm guilty of anything, it is being too thorough and sweating the details too much... Like stressing over whether doing front DB raises will be overloading the front delts (on top of benching or militaries) or if by neglecting them I'm gonna be hurting my bench. Yeah bro, I know I'm a fuckin head case--newsflash.

5) See that is where the bbing mindset gets in the way and I want to hit everything (puldowns/chins, rows, deads) all in one session and then give my back all the time I can to heal before I hit it again, plus then my lower back is taxed for leg day cuz I'll be smacking it with deads and rows during 2 different sessions.

I appreciate the skull session bro, thanks for taking the time. Peace, G

brandonA
08-15-07, 11:58 pm
I know this is a tough question, one not easily answered with out me being in front of you, laying on the bench...but here goes...

I sit on the edge of the bench, lay back, set my grip on the bar, slide my head and shoulders threw the standards, roll up on my toes and flex my back up to the ceiling...I have to plant my shoulders high on my traps or I slide backwards..unrack the bar, watch it all the way down and fire up..I usually slide backwards as well, fucking up my arch...

Does it sound like I am doing it right? I know i have a lot of practice that needs to be done on it, but I want to practice the right way.. I have watched some vids, but most of the time it is hard to see the back and the feet at the same time....If you guys can point me in the right direction I would be in your debt as usually....

Thanks,
Brandon

BEASTOFRAGE
08-16-07, 12:25 am
I know this is a tough question, one not easily answered with out me being in front of you, laying on the bench...but here goes...

I sit on the edge of the bench, lay back, set my grip on the bar, slide my head and shoulders threw the standards, roll up on my toes and flex my back up to the ceiling...I have to plant my shoulders high on my traps or I slide backwards..unrack the bar, watch it all the way down and fire up..I usually slide backwards as well, fucking up my arch...

Does it sound like I am doing it right? I know i have a lot of practice that needs to be done on it, but I want to practice the right way.. I have watched some vids, but most of the time it is hard to see the back and the feet at the same time....If you guys can point me in the right direction I would be in your debt as usually....

Thanks,
Brandon

when u slide like that, your not holdin your arch. when u take weight, u have to make everything tight...your legs need to be clamped on the bench...i have some bench vids from various angles here: http://trainordie.com/lifting/

sounds like u need to put the weight on your upper back and lats when u take weight and at the same time, keep the arch tight. i have a partner that has issues with keepin his arch but once he does, he smokes the shit out of some weight...checkout the vids and see if they help....the files aren't big at all...
TB

Squat_Heavy
08-16-07, 4:16 am
Put some magnesium on your trapz, maybe you won't slide

brandonA
08-16-07, 11:30 am
when u slide like that, your not holdin your arch. when u take weight, u have to make everything tight...your legs need to be clamped on the bench...i have some bench vids from various angles here: http://trainordie.com/lifting/

sounds like u need to put the weight on your upper back and lats when u take weight and at the same time, keep the arch tight. i have a partner that has issues with keepin his arch but once he does, he smokes the shit out of some weight...checkout the vids and see if they help....the files aren't big at all...
TB

Thanks Curt..I have a hard time holding it, but the back was stiff as hell yesterday so maybe that had something to do with it...I will scope the vids and let you all know when I have more questions....Thanks....

-B

Toni69
08-16-07, 11:48 am
Ok..I have one and I apologize if it has been already asked but Im too darn lazy to read through every single one of these posts...by the way.. G's questions and answers were spot on awesome!

Ok..deads...the traditional and the sumo type. What is the big difference between the two other than the positioning of your body and the grip? Does one style incorporate different muscles from the other? Is the sumo style harder to perform? Which do you prefer?

IRBS
08-16-07, 11:51 am
Ok..I have one and I apologize if it has been already asked but Im too darn lazy to read through every single one of these posts...by the way.. G's questions and answers were spot on awesome!

Ok..deads...the traditional and the sumo type. What is the big difference between the two other than the positioning of your body and the grip? Does one style incorporate different muscles from the other? Is the sumo style harder to perform? Which do you prefer?

Leverage is the big difference between the two. I dont think I am qualified enough to answer this one, hopefully Powerfreak will be around soon and can get to it.

brandonA
08-16-07, 12:00 pm

I'll take a crack at this one...1st did you check out Powerfreak's deadlifting video? That has some great anwers to your questions..

Sumo you want your legs wide, shins centered on the rings of the bar. You grab the bar inside of your thighs, about sholder width..I have found that i use much more hip and leg and less lower back. They say that sumo is for shorter folk with shorter arms...

Convential I use a sholder width stance, grip the bar between the rings. I pull up a bit and drive my hips in to the ground, this allows my to use more leg to break the bar off the ground. I kind of pull back and up, draggin the bar up my shins. They say that conventional is for taller folk with longer arms..

I find convential harder to do, but this is also the way I perfer. I switched back and forth for a while and found that cnovential was more comfy for me...

Check out the video - http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=9384

-Brandon

Squat_Heavy
08-16-07, 12:01 pm
YOu have a shorter range of motion with sumos, you are more able to keep your body straight, but it takes more leg and glute power as opposed to the conventionalstyle. As the conv stance is more back-oriented.

My take on it

Powerfreak
08-16-07, 12:58 pm
Thanks Curt..I have a hard time holding it, but the back was stiff as hell yesterday so maybe that had something to do with it...I will scope the vids and let you all know when I have more questions....Thanks....

-B

If I don't have any weight on the bar, my drive is so hard that i will shoot myself right off the end of the bench, I have to have weight on the bar to stay in place.
Also, get off of your toes and try to get on the balls of your feet so can use your legs and hips to drive the weight up

brandonA
08-16-07, 1:00 pm
If I don't have any weight on the bar, my drive is so hard that i will shoot myself right off the end of the bench, I have to have weight on the bar to stay in place.
Also, get off of your toes and try to get on the balls of your feet so can use your legs and hips to drive the weight up

Thanks bro, that helps alot

-B

Powerfreak
08-16-07, 1:03 pm

Yes miss Thang,

you will incorporate differtent muscles with the different styles.
Sumo is going to(for me anyway) work alot more hams,glutes, adductors, and upper back, were as conventional is going to smash your lower back, and work more quad.
Also if you are a fatass such as myself it is much easier to get to the bar sumo style.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Sgt Rock
08-16-07, 2:14 pm
Sumo works the lower back much less, also much less stress on the upper back, more in the hips, hams and quads. Sumo is a shorter range of motion, SUMO DEADLIFTERS ARE BORN AND NOT MADE....remember that one. Less distance equals more weight lifted, if you can do the sumo do it, if you compete that is. For BB purposes the conventional is miles better for building muscle mass. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi

Toni69
08-16-07, 2:23 pm
Ok..those posts were extrememly helpful! I am in need of more low back work..so I will stick with the conventional for now. Thanks so much! See...learn somethin' new everyday here at the forum!

Sgt Rock
08-16-07, 6:54 pm
Toni for low back thickness, do deads off a 45 pound plate, then do sets of 15 reps with hyperextensions with the weight BEHIND the head.

Semper Fi

schodle2
08-17-07, 9:46 pm
wats up fellas my name is bobby have been training for a while now, but my methods have been more or less sporatic, have never really tracked my progress. i have competed in two pl competitions with teh USAPL federation a few years ago. any way i had a question about a training routine i thought because i was looking into maybe competing again. i would train 2 sometimes 3 times a week, concentrating on one exercise that week and putting in a few auxillary movements, it would be one day of heavy training followed by a day of speed training approximately 3 days apart. so one week be say squats, then the next week would bench, and then dead lifts. was just curious if anyone could give me some input on this split if its any good, and maybe some pointers on how to modify it.

schodle2
08-17-07, 9:46 pm
thanks for any responses in advance.

BEASTOFRAGE
08-18-07, 12:05 pm
wats up fellas my name is bobby have been training for a while now, but my methods have been more or less sporatic, have never really tracked my progress. i have competed in two pl competitions with teh USAPL federation a few years ago. any way i had a question about a training routine i thought because i was looking into maybe competing again. i would train 2 sometimes 3 times a week, concentrating on one exercise that week and putting in a few auxillary movements, it would be one day of heavy training followed by a day of speed training approximately 3 days apart. so one week be say squats, then the next week would bench, and then dead lifts. was just curious if anyone could give me some input on this split if its any good, and maybe some pointers on how to modify it.

well the problem would stem from havin enough time for all three lifts before a meet when u do it that way and u would approach either overtraining or injury that way. i know it sounds redundant but the basic WSB split has worked for any powerlifter...and of course over time, they modified it to their own liking. i would recommend goin that route. if your training 3 days a week, use ME bench, ME squat and an accessory day.

the problem with the split u mentioned is that when u get closer to a meet, u don't want to be 3 weeks out and not bench, squat or dead(whatever the cycle puts u at). powerlifting much like any sport, technique is always in practice and bein away from a lift like that for at least 3 week isn't something i would recommend. i like to go into a meet a week out knowin where my strength is and where i'll open at...if u have a fucked up session, u can't change shit so you'll go into a meet with a fucked mindset.

...this is just my thoughts on it...but u can use a basic WSB template like this
wk1- ME squat Me bench De squat
wk2- DE bench Me squat Me bench
wk3- DE squat DE bench Me squat
wk4- Me bench De squat DE bench

this is what i also recommend to anyone who cannot train WSB 4-days a week...
TB

schodle2
08-18-07, 12:25 pm
thanks Beastofrage, yeah i guess that split makes more sense, i thought maybe the extra time off in between workouts would help with my recovery time. thanks for the response il be putting your advice to use.

T. Kemble
08-18-07, 12:42 pm
thanks Beastofrage, yeah i guess that split makes more sense, i thought maybe the extra time off in between workouts would help with my recovery time. thanks for the response il be putting your advice to use.

hey schodle, youre from norristown? my girl lives there and im actually going there today hahah.

be careful when training westside because im only going to say this once because once is enough, westside was designed for performance enhanced athletes, therefore you must tweak it so you dont burn yourself out too quickly.

if you have any questions PM me.

tom

schodle2
08-18-07, 2:04 pm
yeah im from norristown, are you from that area or does your girl friend live here?

Dead(Lift)
08-18-07, 2:05 pm
I'm currently at a plateau on squats. I'm squating about 235 parallel(not much I know). I'm trying your powerlifting routine along with other leg exercises with alil higher reps. Will this work? BTW when I do my squat workouts I go nothing higher than ATG.

schodle2
08-18-07, 2:05 pm
oh ok nevermind i just saw that your from NJ but thanks for the advise, and your willingness to help. this is one of the many reasons i love this forum so much so many people willing to help.

Squat_Heavy
08-18-07, 2:10 pm
I'm currently at a plateau on squats. I'm squating about 235 parallel(not much I know). I'm trying your powerlifting routine along with other leg exercises with alil higher reps. Will this work? BTW when I do my squat workouts I go nothing higher than ATG.

I would start doing pause squats, jumpsquats, boxsquats, squat without a belt. bulgarian squats and one-legged movements!

Dead(Lift)
08-18-07, 2:14 pm
I would start doing pause squats, jumpsquats, boxsquats, squat without a belt. bulgarian squats and one-legged movements!

I'll try pause squats and beltless squating. Never heard of bulgarian squats?

Squat_Heavy
08-18-07, 2:15 pm
I'll try pause squats and beltless squating. Never heard of bulgarian squats?

Google em bro, single leg movements are great. Also try plyometrics and you NEED to train your core heavy, good mornings, pullthroughs and shit like that!

Dead(Lift)
08-18-07, 2:16 pm
Google em bro, single leg movements are great. Also try plyometrics and you NEED to train your core heavy, good mornings, pullthroughs and shit like that!

What are pullthroughs lol?

I do work my core. Might not be as heavy as needed. I do heavy deadlifts, rev hypers, side bends, and ab movements.

Squat_Heavy
08-18-07, 2:21 pm
What are pullthroughs lol?

I do work my core. Might not be as heavy as needed. I do heavy deadlifts, rev hypers, side bends, and ab movements.

Just google: cable pullthrough. Its a great exercise

Dead(Lift)
08-18-07, 2:23 pm
Just google: cable pullthrough. Its a great exercise

Oh, I got no machines. Just a bench and bar. bout 350+ in wights. Gunna get a leg press and pec dec when we get a bigger house. I'll google bulgarian squats and try pause squats and see how everything goes.

Thanks.

Squat_Heavy
08-18-07, 2:31 pm
Oh, I got no machines. Just a bench and bar. bout 350+ in wights. Gunna get a leg press and pec dec when we get a bigger house. I'll google bulgarian squats and try pause squats and see how everything goes.

Thanks.

Skip the goddamn legpress and pecdec and buy a cable pulldown and cable row instead. Legpress and pecdec is invented to keep geeks away from the bench and squatrack

Toni69
08-18-07, 2:33 pm
Toni for low back thickness, do deads off a 45 pound plate, then do sets of 15 reps with hyperextensions with the weight BEHIND the head.

Semper Fi

ohhhhh.....good stuff there..thanks! will try that next deads day!

Dead(Lift)
08-18-07, 2:37 pm
Skip the goddamn legpress and pecdec and buy a cable pulldown and cable row instead. Legpress and pecdec is invented to keep geeks away from the bench and squatrack

I'm gunna keep doing bench and squat. They're mainly for my dad because he has bad back problems. And PecDec is just for hitting the whole chest.

And BTW, my dad is very far from a geek. You mighta not meant it but I don't appreciate that.

Squat_Heavy
08-18-07, 2:48 pm
I'm gunna keep doing bench and squat. They're mainly for my dad because he has bad back problems. And PecDec is just for hitting the whole chest.

And BTW, my dad is very far from a geek. You mighta not meant it but I don't appreciate that.

Pec dec is a useless exercise! Except for rehab, you're not in rehab are you? You are obviously fixed on getting something negative out of this.

Dead(Lift)
08-18-07, 2:50 pm
Pec dec is a useless exercise! Except for rehab, you're not in rehab are you? You are obviously fixed on getting something negative out of this.

I'm sure if people use it and get results it can't be useless. I know plenty of bigger people that use it with success. I'm not gunna start some stupid argument, as I can find my own help.

Thank you for trying.

Squat_Heavy
08-18-07, 2:58 pm
I'm sure if people use it and get results it can't be useless. I know plenty of bigger people that use it with success. I'm not gunna start some stupid argument, as I can find my own help.

Thank you for trying.

IF you think big benches and large pecs come from pec-dec then you are lost.
I ain't never seen a big or strong mofo do pec decs. I see em do heavy benches, inclines, declines, db presses. That shit will get you thick. It good luck in the future nevertheless.

grissinger
08-18-07, 9:18 pm
I use the pec deck after ball bustin heavy bench and heavy ass super balls to the wall inclines. I walk right over to the pec dec and sit on the seat and wonder who the fuck uses this? Just do flies after your heavy flat, inclines, clsd grip, board presses, and floor presses. Don't waste $ on a pec dec. I do not think he was calling your dad a geek. Just trying to prove a point that squats are a far superior leg exercise which they are. Get thicker skin. Good luck

Squat_Heavy
08-19-07, 8:16 am
I use the pec deck after ball bustin heavy bench and heavy ass super balls to the wall inclines. I walk right over to the pec dec and sit on the seat and wonder who the fuck uses this? Just do flies after your heavy flat, inclines, clsd grip, board presses, and floor presses. Don't waste $ on a pec dec. I do not think he was calling your dad a geek. Just trying to prove a point that squats are a far superior leg exercise which they are. Get thicker skin. Good luck

My brother from another mother got my point!

schodle2
08-20-07, 9:32 pm
hey guys i was looking to compete sometime in january can anybody give me any advise on where and how i sign up for a competition i live in PA, any advise would be great, thanks guys.

T. Kemble
08-20-07, 9:41 pm
in Jan we are running a competition in Carteret NJ at skibas barbell club, im not sure what sanctioning affiliation it will be, but its gonnna be big.

schodle2
08-20-07, 9:54 pm
thanks tek, that sounds good, im not really with any sanctioned association any more, i lifted in the USAPL about three years ago and havent competed since.

brandonA
08-21-07, 12:47 pm
I have done box squats in the past, but I have some questions....

Do you guys pause on the bench or tap and fire up? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to doing them one way or the other?

You should not be able to box squat as much as regular squat? And if I hit my regular squat max with a box, would that mean I am understmating my regular squat strength?

How low do you go? I have access to a bench that puts my just below parelle, may be about 1".

Thanks, Brandon

BEASTOFRAGE
08-21-07, 12:53 pm

Do you guys pause on the bench or tap and fire up? Is there an advantage/disadvantage to doing them one way or the other?

You should not be able to box squat as much as regular squat? And if I hit my regular squat max with a box, would that mean I am understmating my regular squat strength?

How low do you go? I have access to a bench that puts my just below parelle, may be about 1".

Thanks, Brandon

the difference would depend on the weakness:

if u have trouble comin out of the hole, u would have to pause on the box.
if u have trouble lockin out, then u would fire out off the box rather than pause...

typically the bench u use now is fine...i do the same thing currently.

as box squat PR to regular squat PR varies. u have lifters who are stronger off a box and some that are stronger full-range.
TB

brandonA
08-21-07, 12:56 pm
the difference would depend on the weakness:

if u have trouble comin out of the hole, u would have to pause on the box.
if u have trouble lockin out, then u would fire out off the box rather than pause...

typically the bench u use now is fine...i do the same thing currently.

as box squat PR to regular squat PR varies. u have lifters who are stronger off a box and some that are stronger full-range.
TB

Right on, thank bro
I am weak out of the hole, so pause it is. Lock out is pretty strong...

-B

Fyre Bush
08-21-07, 5:05 pm
in Jan we are running a competition in Carteret NJ at skibas barbell club, im not sure what sanctioning affiliation it will be, but its gonnna be big.

I beleive it will be sanctioned IPA. Big Dog & I will be there and John Bott will also be involved. It's gonna be a great meet. I just hope it doesn't rain the whole way there and back like last year.

Powerfreak
08-21-07, 7:12 pm
I beleive it will be sanctioned IPA. Big Dog & I will be there and John Bott will also be involved. It's gonna be a great meet. I just hope it doesn't rain the whole way there and back like last year.

Good chance our whole southside crew will be there.

Brian

Big Dog
08-21-07, 7:15 pm

Thanks, Brandon
The point of box squats is to sit down on the box under control, relax and then fire up off the box. Squatting to a box will create bad habits and make you reliant on one. there's no box in competition. Sitting on a box , relaxing then firing up will build your explosive power at the bottom end and help you get the bar moving. If you seen my squat vid that Powerfreak posted on here, i exaggerate the pause to show that i'm not touching and going.

Whether you can box squat more/less than your comp max is depending on the individual. i know some who squat more off abox than in a meet and i know some who do less. It's all relative.

I train about 1" under parallel, if you have trouble getting to depth. then i'd recommend squatting under parallel. if you are fine with depth, then squat to a box that is at that height.

brandonA
08-21-07, 7:26 pm
The point of box squats is to sit down on the box under control, relax and then fire up off the box. Squatting to a box will create bad habits and make you reliant on one. there's no box in competition. Sitting on a box , relaxing then firing up will build your explosive power at the bottom end and help you get the bar moving. If you seen my squat vid that Powerfreak posted on here, i exaggerate the pause to show that i'm not touching and going.

Whether you can box squat more/less than your comp max is depending on the individual. i know some who squat more off abox than in a meet and i know some who do less. It's all relative.

I train about 1" under parallel, if you have trouble getting to depth. then i'd recommend squatting under parallel. if you are fine with depth, then squat to a box that is at that height.

Thanks Big Dog, I saw the vid, very cool....

-B

MetalAsh12
08-24-07, 9:07 pm
All right guys; I've got my GA State powerlifting team up and running. I need some guidance on how to structure the practices. Any info would be much appreciated.

Maccabee
08-25-07, 10:25 pm
Whats the difference between romanian deadlifts and SLDL?

Reverse hyperextensions...in my gym we dont have that machine...is there a different exercise thats going to give me the same results??

How do you do a Good Morning Squat???

What are JM Presses?? I read about them but cant find a video

Thanks for all the help guys.

Maccabee
08-25-07, 10:50 pm
On Speed Days what percentage should I work with on the different exercises bench, squat, and deadlift??

Squat_Heavy
08-26-07, 8:48 am
30%-50%ish

mark
08-27-07, 11:04 am
Whats the difference between romanian deadlifts and SLDL?

Reverse hyperextensions...in my gym we dont have that machine...is there a different exercise thats going to give me the same results??

How do you do a Good Morning Squat???

What are JM Presses?? I read about them but cant find a video

Thanks for all the help guys.

Romanian= keep the weight in close to the body, preferably dragging along the legs

SLDLs= let the weight stay out away from the body when not erect

Reverse Hyper dilema= either find a new gym, save your nickles, dimes, and pennies, or do regular back hypers

GM squat= just squat or do GMs. There's a reason WSB doesn't do them that much any more.

JM Press= Odds are you'll do them wrong, not to mention they are brutal on the tendons and not really worth it in the long run. Just do close grip 4 boards

mark
08-27-07, 11:09 am
On Speed Days what percentage should I work with on the different exercises bench, squat, and deadlift??

Depends...

Are you box squatting or not. Are you using bands or not

For bench, don't bother or go heavier. I would recommend 70-80% range. Follow Prelipen's chart for the optimal number of reps for that given range. This will also change if bands are being used.

Deadlift... any contrast? if not, go with 60-80% range if your body can handle it.

-mark

Maccabee
08-28-07, 1:27 pm
Depends...

Are you box squatting or not. Are you using bands or not

For bench, don't bother or go heavier. I would recommend 70-80% range. Follow Prelipen's chart for the optimal number of reps for that given range. This will also change if bands are being used.

Deadlift... any contrast? if not, go with 60-80% range if your body can handle it.

-mark

I do not have chains, bands, or boards in my gym. What is Prelipens Chart?
Thanks for the help mark I really appreciate it.

Dead(Lift)
08-28-07, 4:26 pm

I would suggest not doing speed with deadlifts. To easy to hurt your back. Squat may be bad also, but just be very careful with squat. Bench is easiest to do speed with.

IRBS
08-28-07, 4:30 pm
I would suggest not doing speed with deadlifts. To easy to hurt your back. Squat may be bad also, but just be very careful with squat. Bench is easiest to do speed with.

Wrong. Speed plays a huge role in DL and Squat. Not trying to be mean, but that is mis-information.

I think the % has been discussed enough. Some people use 50% some people use 80%. Find what works for you. Just always remember that on Dynamic Effort Days Bar weight is not what you are worried about, only the speed of the bar.

Good luck.

brandonA
08-28-07, 4:30 pm

It's all about speed, the faster you are moving the bar, the more explosive the lift will be. Speed off the floor on a dead is very important and out of the hole on a squat. Watch the pros, check out the vid of Andy Bolton's 1003# deadlift, watch how fast it comes off the floor....you have to be carefull not to jerk the bar, that will fuck shit up...but speed is where it's at...

-B

Dead(Lift)
08-28-07, 4:32 pm
It's all about speed, the faster you are moving the bar, the more explosive the lift will be. Speed off the floor on a dead is very important and out of the hole on a squat. Watch the pros, check out the vid of Andy Bolton's 1003# deadlift, watch how fast it comes off the floor....you have to be carefull not to jerk the bar, that will fuck shit up...but speed is where it's at...

-B

True, but most people would eventually let ego come in and jerk the bar up, and end up wishing they didn't do it.

IRBS
08-28-07, 4:35 pm
True, but most people would eventually let ego come in and jerk the bar up, and end up wishing they didn't do it.

See my post above. On a speed day you are moving that bar as fast as you can. It should not be a weight that you struggle with at all..i.e. no jerking anyway, you dont need too. You are working on speed, explosion, and form.

ionacht
08-28-07, 4:38 pm
Being new to SLDL's I was wondering how the PL's liked working them into a routine. Same day as heavy DL's? Do they get their own day? Alternate between SLDL and DL?

IRBS
08-28-07, 4:39 pm
Being new to SLDL's I was wondering how the PL's liked working them into a routine. Same day as heavy DL's? Do they get their own day? Alternate between SLDL and DL?

I mostly will use them on a Max Effort Squat day to nail the hammies.

Dead(Lift)
08-28-07, 4:43 pm
See my post above. On a speed day you are moving that bar as fast as you can. It should not be a weight that you struggle with at all..i.e. no jerking anyway, you dont need too. You are working on speed, explosion, and form.

Yeah, but if they try going as fast as possible they lose form. Eventually I guarantee someone would hurt there back.

IRBS
08-28-07, 4:45 pm
Yeah, but if they try going as fast as possible they lose form. Eventually I guarantee someone would hurt there back.

You started the conversation bro, just trying to help you understand the exercize. Getting hurt is part of the game. Most injuries come with submaximal weights anyway. I dont know of any powerlifters who have been injury free forever.

Speed plays a huge role in powerlifting. The faster you move the weight the less chance you have to stall out. I always try to outrun the bar.

Speed+Strength=Power

brandonA
08-28-07, 4:47 pm

Than they should stick to lighter weights or machine rows or some shit...if you want to hang with the big boys you gotta figure out how to incoporate the speed in the pull, otherwise it just aint going to happen...

-B

Maccabee
08-28-07, 4:48 pm

I understand what your saying but IRBS sounds right. The concept of speed is to be explosive. You dont choose a weight that you struggle with. Sunday was my speed bench day and I did 40% of 1RM...I ended up doing 90 lbs for 9sets for 3 reps.

Dead(Lift)
08-28-07, 4:50 pm
You started the conversation bro, just trying to help you understand the exercize. Getting hurt is part of the game. Most injuries come with submaximal weights anyway. I dont know of any powerlifters who have been injury free forever.

Speed plays a huge role in powerlifting. The faster you move the weight the less chance you have to stall out. I always try to outrun the bar.

Speed+Strength=Power

I agree with your statement. I know speed is a big part. But like I said, people go to fast, lose form and get hurt. I think a good exercise for the first lift of deadlift, would be hack squat. I imitates the same movement and works the muscles used to pull the bar off the ground.

Oh and also, I think it was Wrath, one of the Animal's has a article about powerlifting and said they were injury free there whole life.

Maccabee
08-28-07, 4:50 pm

I just started powerlifting but I do those on the ME days like IRBS.

Maccabee
08-28-07, 4:52 pm
I agree with your statement. I know speed is a big part. But like I said, people go to fast, lose form and get hurt. I think a good exercise for the first lift of deadlift, would be hack squat. I imitates the same movement and works the muscles used to pull the bar off the ground.

Oh and also, I think it was Wrath, one of the Animal's has a article about powerlifting and said they were injury free there whole life.

WHAT!!!??? You dont do regular deads?? Do you squat???

Did you learn that hack squat deadlift from that fuckin fit show??

Bro your a young dude. You should be doing deads with a bar bro. Proper form wont get you injured.

IRBS
08-28-07, 4:52 pm

Ok, I tried...have fun with the Hack Squats little bro...your 14 years has brought you infinite wisdom...

Sorry if I sound like an ass, but tough shit.

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 4:54 pm
I appreciate all sides of this discussion. Not being a powerlifter I can see both sides. But I have to say that if I am going to seek powerlifting advice I am going to go to somebody like IRBS, or BeastofRage or Powerfreak. Dead(Lift) I don't mean any disrespect but at 14 you have many lessons to learn and you are trying to teach something that I don't think you are qualified to teach.

Dead(Lift)
08-28-07, 5:01 pm
WHAT!!!??? You dont do regular deads?? Do you squat???

Did you learn that hack squat deadlift from that fuckin fit show??

Bro your a young dude. You should be doing deads with a bar bro. Proper form wont get you injured.

I do deads. Didn't I see you in my journey once? If I did you should know.

Ok, I tried...have fun with the Hack Squats little bro...your 14 years has brought you infinite wisdom...

With that statement you do...

I appreciate all sides of this discussion. Not being a powerlifter I can see both sides. But I have to say that if I am going to seek powerlifting advice I am going to go to somebody like IRBS, or BeastofRage or Powerfreak. Dead(Lift) I don't mean any disrespect but at 14 you have many lessons to learn and you are trying to teach something that I don't think you are qualified to teach.

I was just putting my 2 cents as you are too.

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 5:04 pm
OK Matt, keep teaching. Good luck with that. I imagine Powerfreak and BeastofRage will be over soon for a lesson.

Dead(Lift)
08-28-07, 5:05 pm
OK fuck it. I won't bother trying to help.

ionacht
08-28-07, 5:09 pm

Forgive my innocents. Am I correct in assuming that Hack Squats are not worth the effort put into them?

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 5:10 pm

Matt, you are trying to teach powerlifting when you are not a powerlifter. You may know about lifting weights but you are not a powerlifter. Plus you need to show some respect to the people that are in the sport. IRBS is a very well respected cat here and goes out of his way to help. And he is a powerlifter. I know you want to help and teach but you are not qualified to do so.

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 5:11 pm
Forgive my innocents. Am I correct in assuming that Hack Squats are not worth the effort put into them?

Hacks are a great exercise, but they are not a replacement for deadlifts. Keep doing them and they will help quad development.

Maccabee
08-28-07, 5:18 pm

Bro dont take it the wrong way. Help all you want...thats actually what this forum is all about helping. But when someone more experienced comes along and gives the right advice you should kind of listen to it. LD said your not a powerlifter so why would you give advice about something that your not.

Keep an open mind and learn as much as you can. I am 20 years old and what I know is nothing compared to some of the guys here. I have so much to learn. This is what this journey is all about. Peace

Maccabee
08-28-07, 5:31 pm
Whats the difference between the RAGE and the RAGE X??

Or does it matter on the individual of how they use it??

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 5:32 pm
Bro dont take it the wrong way. Help all you want...thats actually what this forum is all about helping. But when someone more experienced comes along and gives the right advice you should kind of listen to it. LD said your not a powerlifter so why would you give advice about something that your not.

Keep an open mind and learn as much as you can. I am 20 years old and what I know is nothing compared to some of the guys here. I have so much to learn. This is what this journey is all about. Peace

And your willingness to take advice is why you continue to get it and to grow and become better in the sport. Much respect for you Pokoritel.

Squat_Heavy
08-28-07, 5:34 pm

So far in this thread you ahve been nothing more than a stuckup kid who won't admit that he fucked up on a grand scale. Listen to the guys that are powerlifters. Speed deads and speedsquats are most certainly safe and little injury-risk involved. As far as hacksquats a substitute for speed-deads? Eh wtf?
You need to read some more before you try to teach something bro

My 2 cents.

MetalAsh12
08-28-07, 5:36 pm
And your willingness to take advice is why you continue to get it and to grow and become better in the sport. Much respect for you Pokoritel.

Couldn't be more true; this goes for anything in life...you never stop learning.

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 5:37 pm
Brothers, let's not let this go any farther than it already has. This is not an attack on one person, this thread is to learn from powerlifters. Let's keep it that. Powerlifters, keep dispensing your great advice and assistance, many are learing a great deal from you, even us non powerlifters.

Dead(Lift)
08-28-07, 6:49 pm
I think I owe an apology to IRBS and brandona. There is no excuse for my behavior and I'm sorry. It was ignorant to deny or argue against you.

brandonA
08-28-07, 7:13 pm
I think I owe an apology to IRBS and brandona. There is no excuse for my behavior and I'm sorry. It was ignorant to deny or argue against you.

No worries bro..

-B

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 7:26 pm

Matt, respect is earned, you have earned mine Bro. That right there is what an Animal does, the right thing.

Dead(Lift)
08-28-07, 7:29 pm
Matt, respect is earned, you have earned mine Bro. That right there is what an Animal does, the right thing.

Thanks. I know that I know alot about deadlift, but not as much as everyone on here.

brandonA
08-28-07, 7:31 pm
Thanks. I know that I know alot about deadlift, but not as much as everyone on here.

Knowledge is power bro, we all must learn everyday, if you dont, it's time to check out....

-B

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 7:32 pm
Knowledge is power bro, we all must learn everyday, if you dont, it's time to check out....

-B

Straight truth.

BEASTOFRAGE
08-28-07, 8:14 pm

-B

i also have to agree that u have to have an OPEN MIND about this sport. closed-minds equal little if not NO results. i've came across too many lifters who didn't and it seriously limited their potential. sometimes bro u just have to sit back, listen, and shut up...u never know what someone else is sayin on the other end...could make the difference on your lifting...KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

i've read my bros, IRBS and B and they are spot on with the speed deads. also a good chance to work on perfectin form...cause in this sport, your form is never perfect...with every 50-100lbs, u have to relearn form again and again...and make it smooth everytime...i'm not different.

just my 2 cents bro...
TB

Lowdown5
08-28-07, 8:15 pm
i also have to agree that u have to have an OPEN MIND about this sport. closed-minds equal little if not NO results. i've came across too many lifters who didn't and it seriously limited their potential. sometimes bro u just have to sit back, listen, and shut up...u never know what someone else is sayin on the other end...could make the difference on your lifting...KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

i've read my bros, IRBS and B and they are spot on with the speed deads. also a good chance to work on perfectin form...cause in this sport, your form is never perfect...with every 50-100lbs, u have to relearn form again and again...and make it smooth everytime...i'm not different.

just my 2 cents bro...
TB

Gospel right there from a cat who knows what he is talkin about.

Maccabee
08-28-07, 8:25 pm
Whats the difference between the rage and the rage x or does it matter on how a person uses it?

IRBS
08-28-07, 8:43 pm

Accepted bro. No hard feelings here little bro. Keep working hard and like Beast said, an open mind is the key.

ironshaolin
08-29-07, 1:38 pm
Hey power guys, I got a question for you. Alright, so I know using boards, bands, chains, and powerracks can help you with your bench on the top half, but what do I do if the weakest part of my bench is the bottom? When I go to my heaviest weight, it feels like my sticking point is when it touches my chest. Usually then my spotter will give me a little spot toget it about 1/4 the way up, then I can get it up the rest of the way no problem.

Powerfreak
08-29-07, 3:24 pm
Hey power guys, I got a question for you. Alright, so I know using boards, bands, chains, and powerracks can help you with your bench on the top half, but what do I do if the weakest part of my bench is the bottom? When I go to my heaviest weight, it feels like my sticking point is when it touches my chest. Usually then my spotter will give me a little spot toget it about 1/4 the way up, then I can get it up the rest of the way no problem.

Try a cambered bar, that will allow you to actually go below chest level.
Also raw speed work to build explosiveness out of the bottom.

Dead(Lift)
08-29-07, 5:17 pm
Try a cambered bar, that will allow you to actually go below chest level.
Also raw speed work to build explosiveness out of the bottom.

I think I just saw one of those, isn't it like, bent kinda?

BEASTOFRAGE
08-29-07, 5:37 pm
I think I just saw one of those, isn't it like, bent kinda?

its more like a "dip" in the bar. its designed for u to bring the bar lower than your normal ROM.
TB

Dead(Lift)
08-29-07, 5:55 pm
its more like a "dip" in the bar. its designed for u to bring the bar lower than your normal ROM.
TB

Yeah, my dad told me about it and I saw it in an Iron Mind book.

ironshaolin
08-29-07, 10:09 pm
yeah my gym dosen't have one of those, what do you think about just touching the bar to my chest, and exploding maybe half way up and just doing reps like that?

BEASTOFRAGE
08-29-07, 11:51 pm
yeah my gym dosen't have one of those, what do you think about just touching the bar to my chest, and exploding maybe half way up and just doing reps like that?

well...i'm afraid it isn't the same. i've done them and nuthin really compares...save db work...is the closest thing...
TB

norrim1
08-30-07, 4:31 pm
I have a quick question, I am going to purchase some chains to use for the bench press and I was wondering how long and how thick should they be? Weight? Are there any articles or videos on here demonstrating their proper usage?

Dead(Lift)
08-30-07, 4:34 pm
I have a quick question, I am going to purchase some chains to use for the bench press and I was wondering how long and how thick should they be? Weight? Are there any articles or videos on here demonstrating their proper usage?

None on here but on bodybuilding.com I'm sure you can find all of the information you need.

IRBS
08-30-07, 4:35 pm

Shoot Powerfreak a PM, he will help you out with this one.

Young&Hungry
08-30-07, 7:54 pm

Weak lats - we have the same problem brother.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459799

Powerfreak
08-30-07, 8:17 pm
Weak lats - we have the same problem brother.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459799

Something that is often overlooked. One of the keys to a big bench is a big thick strong back, as well as powerful hips, core and legs. I believe that I already did a short vid on bench.
A powerlifting don't have shit to do with chest.

Sgt Rock
08-30-07, 8:30 pm
The cambered bench bar is actually called a McDonald bar, after the best bencher of all time, Mike McDonald. Now before you refute that statement, he is the ONLY lifter EVER to hold ALL TIME WORLD RECORDS in 4 weight classes.....AT THE SAME TIME! Including a 603@242 RAW BABY RAW! Unless you are extremely flexible, try using one board on your chest when doing these. We do them with light bands and one board with great results.

Semper Fi

ionacht
08-31-07, 10:16 am
After adding regular DL's to my routine about 3 weeks ago, I feel like I am hitting a wall because my lower back muscles start cramping about the middle of my working sets. I can tell I have more in me but am skitish about pushing through the cramps, even with a belt. Can this be overcome by more focus on strenghing my lower back or is this a symtom of poor form?

IRBS
08-31-07, 10:22 am
After adding regular DL's to my routine about 3 weeks ago, I feel like I am hitting a wall because my lower back muscles start cramping about the middle of my working sets. I can tell I have more in me but am skitish about pushing through the cramps, even with a belt. Can this be overcome by more focus on strenghing my lower back or is this a symtom of poor form?

your Cnetral Nervous System is probably fried. Try incorperating Rack Pulls every other week. I only pull full range once a month, sometimes twice. Pulling heavy can do a number on your CNS and it needs time to recover.

AU_Lifter
08-31-07, 10:34 am
OK, I'm looking to buy a DL suit that will work for me. Prior I have just used a wide stance Titan squat suit because of money issues. I am ready to buy one though and need to know what is working for all of you? Any thoughts on Titan, Inzer, Metal? Whatever it is it has to be legal for USAPL. Thanks brothers....

Powerfreak
08-31-07, 11:23 am
OK, I'm looking to buy a DL suit that will work for me. Prior I have just used a wide stance Titan squat suit because of money issues. I am ready to buy one though and need to know what is working for all of you? Any thoughts on Titan, Inzer, Metal? Whatever it is it has to be legal for USAPL. Thanks brothers....

Shit, there are those dreaded letters USAPL. Some of the dumbest equipment rules in the game. (your t-shirt can't have a pocket?. t-shirts cannot have any writing or logo that does not support the USAPL) next they will be dictating the color and length of a lifters hair.
I don't lift in the USAPL but I use an Inzer Fusion, I think they have one that is IPF legal.

Squat_Heavy
08-31-07, 11:38 am
Shit, there are those dreaded letters USAPL. Some of the dumbest equipment rules in the game. (your t-shirt can't have a pocket?. t-shirts cannot have any writing or logo that does not support the USAPL) next they will be dictating the color and length of a lifters hair.
I don't lift in the USAPL but I use an Inzer Fusion, I think they have one that is IPF legal.

Just throwing out a question to you bud. What fed you lift in and why did you choose that fed. How is it compared to say, the ipf?

Powerfreak
08-31-07, 12:01 pm
Just throwing out a question to you bud. What fed you lift in and why did you choose that fed. How is it compared to say, the ipf?

I now lift in the IPA (Lifters for Lifters) International Powerlifting Association.
I have also competed in the APF, and the WPO. I actually got my start in the USAPL.You won't find 1000+lb squats and benches in the IPF.
As I had stated earlier, the USAPL /IPFhas too many rules that I do not agree with, and it is a boring fed to lift in, no music for the lifts, nothing.
The APF and WPO were great at one time, but the guy that took them over fucked everything up by lying cheating and not paying out the promised prize money. I think I was one of the last ones to receive a check before the rip offs started.
Now it is the IPA which has been around for quite some time. I love the way the meets are run,, everyone gets along and has a good time, the music will blast your bench shirt off, and you can use multi-ply gear.
Also, the two biggest meets, Worlds and Nationals are held at the Weightlifting Hall of Fame, less than 2 hours from my house.
On top of that, the Vice president of the IPA is one of my team members the Big Dog himself Gene Rychlak.
I just love the IPA and the people in it that are trying to help the sport progress.

Squat_Heavy
08-31-07, 12:29 pm
I now lift in the IPA (Lifters for Lifters) International Powerlifting Association.
I have also competed in the APF, and the WPO. I actually got my start in the USAPL.You won't find 1000+lb squats and benches in the IPF.
As I had stated earlier, the USAPL /IPFhas too many rules that I do not agree with, and it is a boring fed to lift in, no music for the lifts, nothing.
The APF and WPO were great at one time, but the guy that took them over fucked everything up by lying cheating and not paying out the promised prize money. I think I was one of the last ones to receive a check before the rip offs started.
Now it is the IPA which has been around for quite some time. I love the way the meets are run,, everyone gets along and has a good time, the music will blast your bench shirt off, and you can use multi-ply gear.
Also, the two biggest meets, Worlds and Nationals are held at the Weightlifting Hall of Fame, less than 2 hours from my house.
On top of that, the Vice president of the IPA is one of my team members the Big Dog himself Gene Rychlak.
I just love the IPA and the people in it that are trying to help the sport progress.

ALlright! Thanks for the answer 'Freak! Didn't Ed Coan squat 1003lbs in the ipf before he got banned for life? And yeah, the no music for the lift kinda sucks with the ipf. But i gotta work with what i got

ionacht
08-31-07, 2:04 pm
your Cnetral Nervous System is probably fried. Try incorperating Rack Pulls every other week. I only pull full range once a month, sometimes twice. Pulling heavy can do a number on your CNS and it needs time to recover.

Thanks for the help. I'll start that next DL day.

ionacht
10-11-07, 11:05 am
How would a PL's ab work differ from a BB's?

IRBS
10-11-07, 11:24 am

BBer's tend to do more rep work than PLer's I think. I do heavy weighted abs, leg raises, hanging leg raises, pull down abs, etc, against weight. I do reps from 20 down to 3 on some heavy sets. I dont know that there is THAT much difference though.

You need a strong core no matter what, train away!

brandonA
10-11-07, 11:40 am
I have been hitting Landmines, cable crunches, pullthurs (more back than abs)....Like IRBS said...nice and heavy, dont worry about you waist getting big, big=strong.....

-B

Big Wides
10-11-07, 11:58 am

keep it simple and when training abs try to stimulate the areas that will help with the big 3. obliques are key for the squat and dead while overall ab strength is needed for the bench. a stronger ab area will also increase strength, try and stick with around 15 reps for like 3/4 sets.

Be Proud and Show Off Your AB!

IRBS
10-11-07, 12:01 pm
Be Proud and Show Off Your AB!

This just owned me, LOL, "Show off your AB" LOL!!!!!

Squat_Heavy
10-11-07, 12:03 pm
This just owned me, LOL, "Show off your AB" LOL!!!!!

Haha! didnt notice that until now " AB" haha.

ionacht
10-11-07, 12:37 pm
Thanks. I have been doing cable crunchs for 4x25. Tomorrow I'll go more weight with less reps.

Sgt Rock
10-11-07, 1:53 pm
YOu can have abs and be a powerlifter! I have been known to have a 6 pack year round and if I diet down to 220 you can see 8. Abs for plers should be done with weight, standing ab crunches, facing away from a lat pull with a short and straight bar, and heavy, those are the best.

Semper Fi

SomeDayI'llBeXL
10-22-07, 7:00 pm
I started powerlifting exactly 12 weeks ago today. My deads and squats are coming along nicely with little to no twings or pains. But my elbows are constantly sore after my ME days for bench. Im on the Westside Program, and it has me working to a 1 rep max in a variety of lifts each week. I tried using Inzer elbow sleeves 2 weeks ago, and they really helped. Are you allowed to use these in meets? I dont have a meet in mind yet, Im making sure my numbers are atleast respectable before I enter. Does it matter what federation I lift in? Thanks for the help guys.

Good Luck Brothers

IRBS
10-22-07, 8:05 pm
I started powerlifting exactly 12 weeks ago today. My deads and squats are coming along nicely with little to no twings or pains. But my elbows are constantly sore after my ME days for bench. Im on the Westside Program, and it has me working to a 1 rep max in a variety of lifts each week. I tried using Inzer elbow sleeves 2 weeks ago, and they really helped. Are you allowed to use these in meets? I dont have a meet in mind yet, Im making sure my numbers are atleast respectable before I enter. Does it matter what federation I lift in? Thanks for the help guys.

Good Luck Brothers

No, you cannot use elbow sleeves in a meet. Some feds will allow you to wear them when you squat, but you gotta look at the rules for each fed. You definately cannot use them for Bench. I would look into finding a doc in your area that is experienced in ART (Active Release Therapy). Has done a lot for my elbows.

Just find a meet in your area and lift in it.

SomeDayI'llBeXL
10-22-07, 8:17 pm
Thanks for the info IRBS

Ill definately look for that doctor.

Good Luck Brothers

brandonA
10-29-07, 11:38 am
Alright, as much as I hate to, I am going to buy a belt, I really dont like them, but if it keeps my back healthy, then so be it....so my question is what is the proper way to measure for a belt. Last night I measure around my waist from the small of my back thru my fat belly button. the number was quite shocking...48"....damn, need to work some cardio....anywho is that right?

-B

IRBS
10-29-07, 11:41 am
Alright, as much as I hate to, I am going to buy a belt, I really dont like them, but if it keeps my back healthy, then so be it....so my question is what is the proper way to measure for a belt. Last night I measure around my waist from the small of my back thru my fat belly button. the number was quite shocking...48"....damn, need to work some cardio....anywho is that right?

-B

The INZER Forever belts are awesome, I have one and I love it. Also, I think Elite FTS is having a belt sale, like 20% off. Just measure where you put the belt, which would be around the abdomen (belly button for most).

Hope this helps.

brandonA
10-29-07, 11:44 am
The INZER Forever belts are awesome, I have one and I love it. Also, I think Elite FTS is having a belt sale, like 20% off. Just measure where you put the belt, which would be around the abdomen (belly button for most).

Hope this helps.

Yep that means I measured it right, damn time for a diet change..LOL...ATP has some nice ones in the super fat ass size. FTS is having a sale, but they are 3 weeks out for a belt, all made to order and the INZER is really nice, but a bit out of my price range at the moment.....SPUD Inc has a nice DL belt as well....choices, choices.....like a kid in a candy store...LOL

-B

IRBS
10-29-07, 11:46 am
Yep that means I measured it right, damn time for a diet change..LOL...ATP has some nice ones in the super fat ass size. FTS is having a sale, but they are 3 weeks out for a belt, all made to order and the INZER is really nice, but a bit out of my price range at the moment.....SPUD Inc has a nice DL belt as well....choices, choices.....like a kid in a candy store...LOL

-B

You usually cant go wrong with APT. They are well priced and its solid gear, plus Alan usually throws in some extra stuff.

brandonA
10-29-07, 11:48 am
You usually cant go wrong with APT. They are well priced and its solid gear, plus Alan usually throws in some extra stuff.

Yea he has a nice one 4" wide, 10MM thick, dbl prong for like 33 bucks. I will re-measure when I get home tonight, see if there are some belts in the gym I can try, get a better feel for the size range I want...dont want to get one too big or small....gotta order my singlet as well....oh boy oh boy....LOL...

-B

Squat_Heavy
10-29-07, 12:09 pm
Inzer is the shit. ordered the following from them:

Inzer rage x
Hardcore squat suit
Warmup pullover
Ammonia
Beanie
Double prong 10mm black belt( awesome)
Lifting singlet black
Kneewraps ( 2.0metres)
Wristwraps ( 60cm)

I am very pleased with the service. It took 5-6 days to ship From the US to my country in Europe. very awesome. Alle the equipment is extremely good quality. Would recommend it to anyone!!!

Northman
11-05-07, 3:57 pm
Do you use it every day/week or only when going for a PR. Do you only use it for your heaviest sets, or for higher rep sets as well. Please help me a little more, as I have used it but not very actively and I believe it can be of great assistance.

IRBS
11-05-07, 4:02 pm
Do you use it every day/week or only when going for a PR. Do you only use it for your heaviest sets, or for higher rep sets as well. Please help me a little more, as I have used it but not very actively and I believe it can be of great assistance.

I think most people use it for competition or a big PR in the gym. Not really a staple in everyday training from what I know.

Big Wides
11-05-07, 4:06 pm

i would use it as sparigly as possible, usually just for a PR or if you need a swift kick in the ass. i think that if you use it daily that you will start to become used to the smell and the effects of it....which would cause the amonia not to work.

HardcoreB52
11-07-07, 2:52 pm
First off thanks for starting this post. I have 2 what I feel pretty important questions about my form and function with the squat and deadlift. I am starting to get pretty heavy in the lifts(for me that is)...about the 405+ region.

Question 1: When performing the deadlift what is possibly the best way to keep your knees from coming together about halfway through the lift. This also forces my back to bow out forcing me drive it up using my back and arms. Not sure if I need to go wider stance, sumo, or different grip?

Question 2: When performing the squat, what is the best way to keep from going over the top of your knees or leaning to far forward?

Thank you all so much for your help. I look forward to only getting better and stronger!
Thanks again bros. keep it real.

brandonA
11-07-07, 3:03 pm
First off thanks for starting this post. I have 2 what I feel pretty important questions about my form and function with the squat and deadlift. I am starting to get pretty heavy in the lifts(for me that is)...about the 405+ region.

Question 1: When performing the deadlift what is possibly the best way to keep your knees from coming together about halfway through the lift. This also forces my back to bow out forcing me drive it up using my back and arms. Not sure if I need to go wider stance, sumo, or different grip?

Question 2: When performing the squat, what is the best way to keep from going over the top of your knees or leaning to far forward?

Thank you all so much for your help. I look forward to only getting better and stronger!

On your deads sounds like you need to strengthn your inner/outer thighs. Adductor/abductor. You could try pointing your toes out a little bit, but I think that bringing up the weak muscles will help the most.

on the squats, break the hips 1st and sit back. Take a deep breath and spread your chest nice and wide. find a spot on the wall in front of you or a bit higher and keep stairing at it, where the head goes the body will follow, so if you look down, you will fall foward, or break at the waist...

-B

IRBS
11-07-07, 3:04 pm

Good Questions!

Question 1: When you are pulling, push your knees out. That should help. Also, Pull back on your heels, you may be too far forward.

Question 2: SIT BACK NOT DOWN!!!! To help with this squat to a box, it will help teach you to squat by sitting back, not by sitting down.

Hope this helps, if you need more clarification, just ask away!

HardcoreB52
11-07-07, 3:16 pm
Sounds great! I am going to put this advice into practice today. I appreciate all the help. I will probably be asking alot of y'all soon because I will starting an intense Westside/EFS lifting program. Here's to it Bros. thanks again.