PDA

View Full Version : Rotator Cuff Health & Maintenance

HARDWORK1
07-25-07, 4:55 pm
After seeing a bunch of posts here about injuries to the shoulder, I decided to chime in with some info. Since I've been lifting seriously, I have noticed the value of a well maintained rototor cuff to first off prevent injury, and second help strength wise in various lifts(bench presses, shoulder press, etc.). IVe felt some soreness in the shoulders aafter bench or shoulder pressing, and believe it has to do with my rotator cuff. Therefore, I began doing some easy exercises to ensure strength for my cuff. When I played baseball in college we used to do these exercises to keep our arms inshape, but I think its equally important in the lifting world to prevent injury. I stopped doing them after baseball, but have started again and noticed some positive prevention, with no pain during workout. Below are some sites I've found to show some easy, basic rotator cuff strength exercises to do with either a rubber tube, or a light dumbell, either are proficient. Hope this helps to prevent injury so we can all stay in the gym consistently.

....Do Work

Rotator Cuff Examples:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/980215a.html

http://www.binghamton.edu/athletics/strength/rota.pdf

Riesjs
07-25-07, 5:42 pm
Very underrated exercise with extreme value. Some people are so gunho on doing front raise with 1000 pounds, when actually a great key to getting stronger can come from a 5 pound dumbbell. Its dissapointing to know that a lot of people only do R.C. exercises when its too late. I try to incorperate them towards the end of shoulder day. Can be benefitcial to all levels. good info

norrim1
07-25-07, 5:43 pm
Thanks for the info, I was looking around to see what I could find.

NickSP
07-25-07, 8:43 pm
Definitely overlooked stuff. When I do em I actually throw em in before my workout (shoulder day)

YOUNG_BB
07-25-07, 9:36 pm
is excersise 4 similar to a side lateral? on this page http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/980215a.html
or do u just lift it half way up???

Maccabee
07-25-07, 11:34 pm
After seeing a bunch of posts here about injuries to the shoulder, I decided to chime in with some info. Since I've been lifting seriously, I have noticed the value of a well maintained rototor cuff to first off prevent injury, and second help strength wise in various lifts(bench presses, shoulder press, etc.). IVe felt some soreness in the shoulders aafter bench or shoulder pressing, and believe it has to do with my rotator cuff. Therefore, I began doing some easy exercises to ensure strength for my cuff. When I played baseball in college we used to do these exercises to keep our arms inshape, but I think its equally important in the lifting world to prevent injury. I stopped doing them after baseball, but have started again and noticed some positive prevention, with no pain during workout. Below are some sites I've found to show some easy, basic rotator cuff strength exercises to do with either a rubber tube, or a light dumbell, either are proficient. Hope this helps to prevent injury so we can all stay in the gym consistently.

....Do Work

Rotator Cuff Examples:

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot bro.

Maccabee
07-25-07, 11:37 pm
Fuck the second link isnt opening for me.

ghost
07-26-07, 9:07 am
....Do Work

Rotator Cuff Examples:

phenominal websites brother........thanks for the reminder...everyone NEEDS to remember that without the support muscles being worked, your major muscle groups are going to suffer

HARDWORK1
07-26-07, 9:28 am
That exercise 4, is like a modified lat raise to hit the rotoator cuff, you start off with holding the db atur side (like at the bottom of a bicep curl), then turn the db like ur emptying out a can(the db in a vertical position), then lift at ur side and u will feel the strain, hopefully this helps...

...do work

Nulllogik
07-26-07, 9:30 am
Fuck the second link isnt opening for me.

Do you have Adobe Reader on your comp.?

BigAnt
07-26-07, 9:30 am

....Do Work

Rotator Cuff Examples:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very good stuff, much easier to understand exercises with pictures---and don't neglect scapula work and postier delts!

forumname05
09-27-07, 1:15 pm
On shoulder day I'm having a big problem.

I've had a problem with my left shoulder for quite a while now, it was never a real issue until recently when I've gotten back into lifting.
Whenever I try lateral excersises my left should grind and clicks, sometimes it's very bad and it almost feels like I'm popping my shoulder out and I'll have to stop that excersize all together.
I was talking to a buddy of mine about it and he recommended that I start some rotator cuff exercisez.

What do you guys think and recommend?

gsb239
09-27-07, 2:08 pm
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/265.html

there are a lot more on google if you search "rotator cuff exercises"

also look into trapezius exercises as the traps are strong stabilizers for the shoulder joint. I didn't know the importance of this until last year when my physiotherapist made me do trap exercises along with rotator cuff exercises.

YOUNG_BB
09-27-07, 2:59 pm
also try scapulae range of motion excersises

NickSP
09-27-07, 3:18 pm
http://forum.animalpak.com/showthread.php?t=10926&highlight=rotator+cuff

Rexor91
01-24-08, 11:37 am
Before everywork out, no matter what it is.... (even leg days) i do a light shoulder warmup to get the blood flowing and I do a reguar rotator series with 10lb dumbbells, or bands everynow and then. Is there anything BETTER than this to keep the rotators is good condition to avoid injury? Been there, done that, dont want to have ANY part of it again lol

SQUAT or DIE!
01-24-08, 12:13 pm
actually what your doing is a pretty decent way to strengthen up your shoulders.. im doin PT right now and i do all kinds of band exercises and some other stuff with 1-5 lb dumbells... and they work, i could barely do most of the exercises with a 1 lb weight for 20 reps now im usin liek 3's, doesnt seem liek much but im 9 weeks out of surgery.. so i suggest you keep it up and if you can go to a physical therapist and see if you can ask them for some copies of exercises or find them on the net.. and i kknow some gyms have the bike looking thing for your upper body and thats a good way to help warm up the shoulders too.. its a good warm up before the abdns and shit..

panzerwagen
01-24-08, 12:15 pm
I personally don't know about any other good exercises apart from using cables. But I'm interested in what you said about using dumbbells. How, exactly, do you use the dumbbells when dealing with the rotator cuffs? Standing - seated - lying on a bench? Please tell! I've only used cables, and some new input would be a treat!

And by the way - it sounds like a smart thing to regularly give the cuffs some attention; I never see people doing this, and I better shape up on that one as well!

/Cheers!

Rexor91
01-24-08, 12:27 pm
actually what your doing is a pretty decent way to strengthen up your shoulders.. im doin PT right now and i do all kinds of band exercises and some other stuff with 1-5 lb dumbells... and they work, i could barely do most of the exercises with a 1 lb weight for 20 reps now im usin liek 3's, doesnt seem liek much but im 9 weeks out of surgery.. so i suggest you keep it up and if you can go to a physical therapist and see if you can ask them for some copies of exercises or find them on the net.. and i kknow some gyms have the bike looking thing for your upper body and thats a good way to help warm up the shoulders too.. its a good warm up before the abdns and shit..

I personally don't know about any other good exercises apart from using cables. But I'm interested in what you said about using dumbbells. How, exactly, do you use the dumbbells when dealing with the rotator cuffs? Standing - seated - lying on a bench? Please tell! I've only used cables, and some new input would be a treat!

And by the way - it sounds like a smart thing to regularly give the cuffs some attention; I never see people doing this, and I better shape up on that one as well!

/Cheers!

Yeah, no doubt. Dude, it's not an insecurity thing... it's just plain rediculous. I know the hand bike thing your talking about, aside from training for American Gladiators I wouldn't touch it. I was in Gold's about 2 months ago and there was like a 47 year old granny on there (not milf lol) with the biggest moose hoof hangin' out on earth lmao... so fuck that machine lmfao. But yeah man, Byrd actually got me on these when we started training while he was recovering form his surgery and it's kinda stuck. Mine was hurt, not injured, but hurt and it helped out alot over time... so I'm just gonna keep doing it.

Rexor91
01-24-08, 12:29 pm
Grab about a 10-15 pounder to warmup do 20 lat raise, 20 front raise, 20 rear lat raise, 20 press, and 20 upright row to get warmed up. Then with a 10lb same type of stuff to recoupe from any injury. the 90 degree L exercises.... turns out this is hard as balls to explain in words, any help out there or do you catch my drift?

MNfreak
01-24-08, 12:31 pm

/Cheers!
Here's a few easy ones.

Standing Rotator Cuff Rotations
Hold your arms out to the sides at shoulder level with your elbow bent to 90°. Keeping your elbows bent, rotate your arms until your hands are above your head. Then rotate your arms back down to the starting position. Do 3 sets of 20 reps with very light weights.

bradford press
Grip the bar just a bit wider then shoulder width. Press the bar up and lower the bar behind the head. Press the bar back up and lower the bar to the front of the head. Keep alternating pressing to the front and back of the head. Do not lock out the elbows, keep your elbows slightly bent throughout the entire exercise. Do 3 sets of 20 reps with light weight.
Note: if you find a barbell to heavy for this exercise, use a broom stick instead of a barbell.

Standing Dumbbell Flyes
This movement is similar to how you would do chest flyes if you were lying down on a bench. Hold a pair of dumbbells out in front of your body. Keep your elbows bent at all times. Open your arms as wide as you comfortably can and then return your arms to the starting position. Do 3 sets of 20 reps with light weights.

MNfreak
01-24-08, 12:33 pm
i think this is what rex was trying to explain

brandonA
01-24-08, 12:34 pm
I do them useing a T-Tube while resting between sets, keeps them warmed up and the blood flowing, and I dont have anything better to do anyway....

-B

MNfreak
01-24-08, 12:36 pm
I do them useing a T-Tube while resting between sets, keeps them warmed up and the blood flowing, and I dont have anything better to do anyway....

-B

t-tube?

brandonA
01-24-08, 12:39 pm
t-tube?

I think that is what they are called, the rubber tube with the handles on the ends, not a powerlifing band...the trainers use them for added reistance for thier clients....we loop one end through a handle, around a peice of equipment...then do the rotations with the added resistance...

Rexor91
01-24-08, 12:40 pm
Here's a few easy ones.

Standing Rotator Cuff Rotations
Hold your arms out to the sides at shoulder level with your elbow bent to 90°. Keeping your elbows bent, rotate your arms until your hands are above your head. Then rotate your arms back down to the starting position. Do 3 sets of 20 reps with very light weights.

bradford press
Grip the bar just a bit wider then shoulder width. Press the bar up and lower the bar behind the head. Press the bar back up and lower the bar to the front of the head. Keep alternating pressing to the front and back of the head. Do not lock out the elbows, keep your elbows slightly bent throughout the entire exercise. Do 3 sets of 20 reps with light weight.
Note: if you find a barbell to heavy for this exercise, use a broom stick instead of a barbell.

Standing Dumbbell Flyes
This movement is similar to how you would do chest flyes if you were lying down on a bench. Hold a pair of dumbbells out in front of your body. Keep your elbows bent at all times. Open your arms as wide as you comfortably can and then return your arms to the starting position. Do 3 sets of 20 reps with light weights.

Yezzir, a man of many words here.... lol, thanks for the help bra

panzerwagen
01-24-08, 12:43 pm
Thanks guys!

So, Rex - you mean the regular lateral raises, front raises etc. are good stuff for the rotator cuffs (as with the bent elbow)?

/panzer

brandonA
01-24-08, 12:47 pm
t-tube?

something like this....

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=138&pid=2113

-B

joe-yamma
01-24-08, 1:04 pm
i have a pretty significant shoulder injury that is probably going to require surgery
(see the "Ask BigAnt" thread if you want details)
and i cannot STRESS the importance of these exercises enough.

check your ego at the door and do a good shoulder warm-up routine before ANY upper body exercise days.
5lb db's, maybe up to 10lb db's are sufficient.
if you don't want anything complicated, just do a giant set of front, side, and rear raises, 10-15 reps, 3 times.

the exercises that HARDWORK posted here are very good ones too for specifically targeting the "rotator cuff."
you can do almost all of them with an adjustable cable/pulley as well. (exercises 1-3 in the first link definitely)
my physical therapist and i actualy prefer the cables to resistance bands.
if you have any type of injury, the bands give their highest resistance only at the end of the motion,
whereas cable and a weight stack will have a constant resistance throughout the motion.

Rexor91
01-24-08, 1:16 pm
Thanks guys!

So, Rex - you mean the regular lateral raises, front raises etc. are good stuff for the rotator cuffs (as with the bent elbow)?

/panzer

As far as being good for them? Maybe not so much directly... but I'd say it couldn't hurt. But I mainly do it for just a warm up and to get the blood flowin through the area

Rexor91
01-24-08, 1:26 pm
i have a pretty significant shoulder injury that is probably going to require surgery

check your ego at the door and do a good shoulder warm-up routine before ANY upper body exercise days.
if you don't want anything complicated, just do a giant set of front, side, and rear raises, 10-15 reps, 3 times.

the exercises that HARDWORK posted here are very good ones too for specifically targeting the "rotator cuff."
you can do almost all of them with an adjustable cable/pulley as well. (exercises 1-3 in the first link definitely)
if you have any type of injury, the bands give their highest resistance only at the end of the motion,
whereas cable and a weight stack will have a constant resistance throughout the motion.

I've seen a few of you fella's mention doing it with Cables... never done it, tryin it tonight.

gsb239
01-24-08, 1:35 pm

Money right here. You gotta take these exercises seriously. Just as serious as going up in weight on the benchpress or squat.

I use both cables and bands for various exercises. A couple of the ones I use bands for are really hard to describe without a visual. I will try to post them later today.

Good luck with your rehab.

joe-yamma
01-24-08, 1:48 pm
I've seen a few of you fella's mention doing it with Cables... never done it, tryin it tonight.
i think you'll like the feel much better bro.
remember to start out light, and use very strict form,
you don't need a lot of weight to feel it.

joe-yamma
01-24-08, 1:49 pm
Money right here. You gotta take these exercises seriously. Just as serious as going up in weight on the benchpress or squat.
I use both cables and bands for various exercises. A couple of the ones I use bands for are really hard to describe without a visual. I will try to post them later today.
Good luck with your rehab.
thanks bro. sounds like you have a good system worked out.

Rexor91
01-24-08, 1:56 pm
i think you'll like the feel much better bro.
remember to start out light, and use very strict form,
you don't need a lot of weight to feel it.

Werd... I normally do it with 10lb dumbbells, prob use 10-20 for cables.

SQUAT or DIE!
01-24-08, 6:09 pm
what i do is out to the sinde and i hold it for 2 seconds, 2x20. then i go at about a 45 degreea ngle from your side and raise it from your quad up to parallel and down, 2x20. another is layin on the bench face down and let your arm hang down and bring it up to your waist and back down 3x20. another on the bench is face down and then bring it out so you kinda form a t shape.. a stretch one my PT makes me do is you put the back of your hand on the small of your back and then try to bring it out without moving your shoulder forward..

hope these help yall out, i know they are helpin me out sooooo much and it sucks that it took a surgery to learn them but at least i know and i can pass this on to yall.

SQUAT or DIE!
01-24-08, 6:11 pm
i just remembered 2 cables that i do.. one is from the top and you briong your arm across your body without bending your arm, all shoulder muscles, the other is the same but from the bottom.. i use like jsut a few lbs on this, its so much harder than it seems..

razormansports
01-24-08, 7:32 pm
Good post, great info! Thanks!

SQUAT or DIE!
01-25-08, 12:48 am
its why were here man to share what we know!

Rexor91
01-25-08, 5:27 pm
its why were here man to share what we know!

Werd. Ditto.

ashnicholls
02-01-08, 8:35 am
Got pain in my left shoulder after doing bench press heavy with bad form.

Sorted that now, but still feeling twinges in my shoulder the day after.

People have advised doing Rotator Cuff Warm Ups, but I don't know any.

Anyone help?

musclealchemist
02-01-08, 9:21 am
put your arms out on the side of you, and rotate them in circles. Going to the front start with small circles, then make them bigger. Going backwards, start with big circles and go small. Also get inside a door frame and learn forward with your hands on the door frame. Also you might want to start working out your cuff to make it stronger.

COLE
02-01-08, 9:47 am
Grab some light dumbbells 10-15 lbs holding your arms up at as if doing a double bicep pose except for palms forward. Now rotate the dumbbell forward keeping your arms bent at 90 degrees until the dumbbells are now in front of you and then back up in the starting position.

This can also be performed using a resistance band by standing on it and doing the motion as mentioned above.

You can also lie on your side, say right side first (right side down) and with your left hand (left side up) grab a light dumbbell and keeping your arm bent at a 90 degree angle and elbow tight to your side rotate the arm at the shoulder down toward the side your laying on and then back up toward the side up. It is a small range of motion.

This can also be performed standing with a cable. Adjust a cable so that it is level with your hand if you had your arm bent again at 90 degrees and elbow tight to the side rotating at the shoulder doing the same motion as lying with the dumbbells.

Another thing you can do and this is good for anybody that has poor shoulder flexibility and or injuries. Take a broom stick, towel or even a jump rope will work. Grab one side in each hand holding it in front of you and let your arms and hands be down in front of you. Now extend your arms up and over your head and down behind you ending at your rear and then back to the front in the same manner over the head for 1 rep. Adjust your grip accordingly. If it is to easy then bring your hands closer together until it is difficult. Remember to keep your arms straight through this motion as bending them would be cheating. Once you have your hand placement so that the movement is a little painful if you will, continue with that for several sets. Each time you do this your goal is to progressively be able to move your hands closer together.

My suggestion is if you have shoulder pain when training you should do some light warm ups like mentioned above any time you are doing upper body training.

Good luck with the shoulder bro! I feel your pain.

COLE
02-01-08, 9:54 am
One more thing. Its not a bad idea to perform the flexibility movement upon rising in the morning and before going to bed each night.

Iron Jaw
02-01-08, 12:08 pm
warming up my rotator cuffs are a must. Would never train without doing that.

sanga
02-01-08, 12:33 pm
Good thread.

joe-yamma
02-06-08, 12:22 pm
i just wanted to bump this thread to keep the info out there.
to highlight the importance of rotator cuff health...
i'll be having surgery to repair my shoulder on feb 28th...
6 month rehab until i'm back to normal.

take care of those shoulders guys...
check your egos and do the proper stretching and WARMUP.

BigAnt
02-06-08, 12:24 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hit me up with the update on your shoulder!

SQUAT or DIE!
02-06-08, 12:48 pm

i feel your pain bro im havin my second surgery on march 11th.. and i only have like 4 months of rest and rehab, but i still cant do any chest stuff and im 13 weeks out of my 1st, just started squatting and doing back and arms recently.. so untill almost august i wont be able to do chest again.. itll almost a year off.. at least my chest will be well rested lol..

so i agree stretch and warm up before every WO, its a hell of alot easier than takin up to 6 months off...

Mindaugas
02-06-08, 3:01 pm
Last thursday i worked my shoulders. The next day in the morning there was sharp pain in my shoulder... but i still went to hit my arms... couldnt do some exercises but other than that it was fine. The day after, saturday the pain was so unbearable that i couldnt move my shoulder at all, that didn't stop me from working on my legs heh.

So yea i had my pants shited thinking i would need surgery... but today i can move my arm just any way i want with slight pain so hopefully it will get good soon and ill be able to get back to training asap. Yea rotator cuffs can be a bitch.

I also started using animal flex because of this heh... maybe it helped me get better maybe not... but hopefully it will prevent this from happening again.

Carpe Diem P.T
03-12-08, 8:15 am
curious to see who works the rotator cuff and how. I myself do not but I know i should.

sanga
03-12-08, 8:18 am
I do before every upperbody workout, every single time.

Do a search on google mate or watch the exercises Branch Warren does before every workout, I do these also, it works.

Carpe Diem P.T
03-12-08, 8:27 am
I do before every upperbody workout, every single time.

Do a search on google mate or watch the exercises Branch Warren does before every workout, I do these also, it works.

I am familiar with the different rotator cuff exercises. Will sus that guy out though. R.C are like abs, i know i should do them, i just cant bring myself to do it.

sanga
03-12-08, 8:36 am
I`ve had to and had to learn them due to right shoulder pain, along with Animal Flex I am training heavier and heavier and its great.

Carpe Diem P.T
03-12-08, 9:01 am
I do a type of RC exercise. It's one that Dante (DC) recommended and I think it helps with flexibility.

I can't really explain it well, so I found this video on Youtube. NO THAT IS NOT ME. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifxxbWwzKio

NOTE: This exercise should be done slower. Put your hands as close as you can, over time it will become easier.

theres another brand advertised in that vid, id probably get it down bro just incase its in breach of the rules.

jer
03-12-08, 9:27 am
theres another brand advertised in that vid, id probably get it down bro just incase its in breach of the rules.

To be honest I didn't even watch the whole thing. That's not really good advertising anyway, but whatever, I'll see if I can find another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6NrxHBUR-4&feature=related

Muscleguy93
08-05-09, 11:33 pm
hey guys, Just wondering if any of you know any good Rotator cuff exercies to build strenght?

thanks.

BryanSmash!
08-06-09, 3:10 am
The Overhead Press.

sunny_max
08-06-09, 3:18 am
i dnt no if i am right but isnt an exercise called the L-fly supposed to be a good rotary cuff exercise?

Tallwhitebread0042
08-06-09, 6:39 am
yes, the "L exercise" just google it man. google "rotator cuff therapy exercises"

i do them to the left and right on both arm, and also hold 2.5-5lbs in each hands afterwords and do "circle's. clockwise and counter.

this is coming from a 19 year old who has already had 2 rehabs on my rotator cuffs. TRUST me. do these exercises twice a week, 10-15 reps a piece, say 4 sets at the end of your workout, then STRETCH well. and ice your shoulder 30 mins a day, twice a day.

the pain will go away within 2-3 weeks and your strength will be through the roof.

thank me later. peace.

Pizzalamp
08-06-09, 6:59 am
a really good one is if u get the rubber restistance bands w handles and u lay on your back and bend one knee w the foot on the ground, and bring the other bent knee up in the air w your knee over your chest...and put the bands on your raised knees foot, put your elbows on the floor like u are doing a bench press, hold the handles, and lower your hands to the floor in front of u then back up so your hands point straight up to the sky keeping the elbows on the floor the whole time.

GJN5002
08-06-09, 10:14 am
stand up, arm straight out from your shoulder and make small circles with your arm until you are doing large circles and reverse. Hope that made sense. Also arm at your side elboy at a 90 degree angle, go left to right with a resistance band then up and down. google for pictures, if youre doing them right you will look like you are trying to land a plane on an aircraft carrier.

Muscleguy93
08-06-09, 12:11 pm
Ok, thanks guys.