PDA

View Full Version : Training Tip Video: The Bench

Powerfreak
07-25-07, 5:07 pm
HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE THE FIRST OF MANY TRAINING VIDEOS TO COME.

It took me a little while to get this ready. What I hope to do is offer one or two new videos each week covering powerlifting technique for the individual lifts and tricks of the trade.
I ask that if you use any of the information from the videos in your training that you realize that you do so at your own risk.

I hope this goes well, and everyone enjoys it. i would also like to take suggestions for future vids.
If this thread dissapears it is because I screwed something up and it got deleted. i will get it back as soon as i correct the problem.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/bdweston/?action=view&current=57382609.flv

Cyrus The Virus
07-25-07, 5:38 pm
Just checked out the video, good job. It would be cool to see you do one on the deadlift.

brandonA
07-25-07, 5:43 pm
Fucking awesome bro, Cant thank you enough for your time and effort...I will pratice that tonight...got my eye on a bench and dead comp next year..little local joint....that vid anwsered a ton of questions....

-B

ghost
07-25-07, 5:43 pm
Jesus, your arms shot out like fuckin springs! amazing video....VERY informative and exactly what is needed.

thanks powerfreak

norrim1
07-25-07, 5:48 pm

It took me a little while to get this ready. What I hope to do is offer one or two new videos each week covering powerlifting technique for the individual lifts and tricks of the trade.
I ask that if you use any of the information from the videos in your training that you realize that you do so at your own risk.

I hope this goes well, and everyone enjoys it. i would also like to take suggestions for future vids.
If this thread dissapears it is because I screwed something up and it got deleted. i will get it back as soon as i correct the problem.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t29/bdweston/?action=view&current=57382609.flv

I just checked out your video, very informative. Does this method vary much on an incline bench?

Preston
07-25-07, 6:07 pm
Powerfreak, you're so rediculously intense...haha I'd love to bench with you sometime....no way I'd keep up, but fuck man....I'd be honored

Maccabee
07-25-07, 11:40 pm
I have been having trouble learning the form for the bench...this is exactly what I needed. Thanks Powerfreak. This is fuckin awesome.

Maccabee
07-25-07, 11:50 pm
I just saw the video and learned so much. Elbows got to be in close to your side or ribs I guess. Your feet are sort of right under your ass. Also you got to bring the bar right under your lower chest. This sunday I am finally going to bench the right way. I was fuckin doing it bb style the whole time. Thank alot

widdlewade44
07-25-07, 11:57 pm
Great 1st training video and I'm looking forward to trying your techniques and watching your future 'episodes'. Peace big brother.

Kevin
widdlewade44

Maccabee
07-26-07, 1:07 am
Now that you mentioned it...what is a zercher squat and how do you a reverse hyper?

NPC Chicka
07-26-07, 1:20 am
Now that you mentioned it...what is a zercher squat and how do you a reverse hyper?

Gentlemen-

Allow the man himself, your Instructor of the Day, Powerfreak, to show you how to do Zercher's , for maximum leg explosion and strength, as well as reverse hypers.......

Subscriptions already going up............anyone? LOL

NPC CHicka

Matt81
07-26-07, 4:34 am
I'd definetley be interested in seeing explanations of how to work in speed training and explanations of the assistance exercises.

Thanks for putting the time in to do the bench video. Much appreciated!

drizzt
07-26-07, 9:10 am
great post and a great idea on the videos, even though im not a power guy, still can learn from it and that's what it's all about...keep it up bro and thanks.

Hollow
07-26-07, 9:25 am
Great first video. Like you said hopefully the first of many too follow.

The_Dude
07-26-07, 10:09 am
Excellent video there sir. I agree with the deads and squats vids as well. Also some boards videos for the new pl'rs and all of the other exciting routines would be cool in the months to come.

Powerfreak
07-26-07, 10:25 am
Excellent video there sir. I agree with the deads and squats vids as well. Also some boards videos for the new pl'rs and all of the other exciting routines would be cool in the months to come.

That's what I am looking for. The input I get from all of you will help me to decide what vids to do next, I promise you that thy will get better as they go on, this first one was just a trial run.
Thank you all for your comments and support.

Brian

ghost
07-26-07, 10:28 am
BRIAN, this first one was amazing. very instructional...exactly what is needed. Thanks for the time you put in and the help you give brother!

Toni69
07-26-07, 2:34 pm
First off, I think your the only one here that can have so much tight power when pressing just a 45lb bar! Its almost like you imagined it to be 1000lbs or something...I actually didnt even see the bar at first, just the power in your press!

Very good instructional vid....Im with NPC Chicka on the zerchers...I dont even know what those are!
I think we would all agree on squats and deads because those are the exercise that most of us struggle with whether we admit to it or not.
I would love to see a PL's take on all the compound movements that BB'rs normally do....who else better to demonstrate than you????

Bring on the vids man!!!

Bombshell
07-26-07, 2:57 pm
Baby~ you always know what to say and how to say it. That vid is a perfect 1st video. Now, you know me, I'm not big on zerchers. If you don't have the proper form, you're gonna hurt yourself. (just look @ cornfed. lol) It just looks like it would rip the shit out of your arms. I can't wait to see what else you have instore for all of us. You never cease to amaze me baby. Keep on... keepin on.....

xman
07-26-07, 3:02 pm
awesome tips man just freakin! awesome . cant wait for squats and deads.

brutal
07-26-07, 4:30 pm
awesome video and even more awesome that you took the time to do that. Thanks Powerfreak.

Bombshell
07-26-07, 7:37 pm
Since squat is his BEST lift, I think Brian should do that as a next video instructional. If you're not doing it ricorrectly now, after watching him demonstrate, you will!! Probably even add some weight to your lift. Proper technique and consistancy is the only way!!!

jkcole
07-26-07, 11:22 pm
Thanks so much for doing the video, this will help alot.

Powerfreak
07-27-07, 12:20 pm
Since squat is his BEST lift, I think Brian should do that as a next video instructional. If you're not doing it ricorrectly now, after watching him demonstrate, you will!! Probably even add some weight to your lift. Proper technique and consistancy is the only way!!!

There wil be a squat vid in the near future, but I believe the next will be on deadlift form. some of these may be in two parts, gotta see how it plays out.
glad to see the interest and I hope any info I can supply will help everyone here to reach their training goals.

NPC Chicka
07-27-07, 2:00 pm
Deads-

Break it down to the styles :

Suomo
Conventional

Give tips/benefits on both and differences between the two. Bodybuilders NEED to know the benefits of both and how to schedule them into their routines for maximum effect.

NPC CHicka

brandonA
07-27-07, 3:53 pm
Can I request a vid on the Grappler? Going to try what you suggested...thanks bro...

-B

Ricky P
07-27-07, 4:09 pm
I think it's awesome you're posting videos like this, I can't wait for the one on deadlifting.

Big Wides
07-27-07, 11:08 pm
Powerfreak, thank you for posting your knowledge in powerlifting. these vids can help anyone no matter what their experience level is, always looking for pointers where i can get them....

Powerfreak
07-28-07, 6:45 am
Can I request a vid on the Grappler? Going to try what you suggested...thanks bro...

-B

Will definitely be something on the grappler, as this is my favorite for building core strength.

DaFr3aK
01-14-08, 12:07 am
i would love to see vids nd ty for the bench i was doing BB bench

Lethal_Banana
01-24-08, 9:16 am
Awesome vid! Nice to see excellent form in a video for once :)

And I'm looking forward to that Deadlift vid :D

Cheers,
LB

AnthonyB
01-27-08, 4:21 pm
thanks for bumping this thread up cuz i didnt see it back then. yesterday i benched powerlifting style for the first time in over a year and a half and i hit 285. i was shocked. the lats flared out REALLY helps getting the weight up. theres a point where it almost feels weightless. looking foward to more videos from powerfreak

born0withno0soul
05-15-08, 5:22 am
yo powerfreak, why did this thread die down?

sanga
05-15-08, 8:52 am
I`d be interested to see the Deadlift and Squat videos.

wedge
11-10-09, 5:32 pm
Bump.

Maccabee
11-11-09, 12:03 am
I wish he would come back. He was awesome. All his videos on squatting and deadlifting are awesome.

Powerfreak
12-18-09, 12:15 am
I wish he would come back. He was awesome. All his videos on squatting and deadlifting are awesome.

Bro' I haven't seen that vid in a long time, glad it was well received.
As for coming back, IT'S IN THE WORKS!!!
After a layoff of damn near 2 years, not even seeing the inside of a gym, I have officially started my comeback.
I think the last time i actually lifted anything heavy was in the CAGE at the ARNOLD in I believe 2008.
I have a small local gym about a mile or so from my house in southern VA. This is definitely bare bones. In what is basically a big garage at someone's house.
They don't have all of the equipment that I need, but it is enough to get started.
I am in the process of finding a gym with a mono lift, power benches, deadlift platform and the such.
i have actually found a gym that seems to be PERFECT! Brute Strength Gym, in Norfolk,Va.
I am supposed to go and check it out this weekend,provided that we don't get the foot of damn snow that is supposed to be hitting us on Sat.
This gym looks to be INSANE!! You can check it out at brutestrengthgym.net.
If it is as good as it looks online I will pack up the family and move to the area.
Right now it is about a 2 and a half hour drive.
I will be sure to keep ya posted.

Thanks for the support,

Briann Weston

Maccabee
12-18-09, 10:01 am
Bro' I haven't seen that vid in a long time, glad it was well received.
As for coming back, IT'S IN THE WORKS!!!
After a layoff of damn near 2 years, not even seeing the inside of a gym, I have officially started my comeback.
I think the last time i actually lifted anything heavy was in the CAGE at the ARNOLD in I believe 2008.
I have a small local gym about a mile or so from my house in southern VA. This is definitely bare bones. In what is basically a big garage at someone's house.
They don't have all of the equipment that I need, but it is enough to get started.
I am in the process of finding a gym with a mono lift, power benches, deadlift platform and the such.
i have actually found a gym that seems to be PERFECT! Brute Strength Gym, in Norfolk,Va.
I am supposed to go and check it out this weekend,provided that we don't get the foot of damn snow that is supposed to be hitting us on Sat.
This gym looks to be INSANE!! You can check it out at brutestrengthgym.net.
If it is as good as it looks online I will pack up the family and move to the area.
Right now it is about a 2 and a half hour drive.
I will be sure to keep ya posted.

Thanks for the support,

Briann Weston

That sounds like an amazing opportunity. I really hope it works for ya. I have seen many of your videos. Your my motivation when it comes to powerlifting. In the past few years of my training I dont go online and watch the bodybuilders squat. I watch your squat videos and they last like a minute. Its all I need. The intensity develops a bonfire in me. I run into the gym and uneash all hell on the squat. Best of luck to you bro. I am going to check out that gym right now. Thanks.

newbreed
12-18-09, 11:25 am
Great video

shortstack
12-18-09, 4:23 pm
Hey Powerfreak,

It was in 08 and that was my first time at the cage. You and Sam Byrd put on a great squat demo and really fired up my interest in squating. Now 2 years down the road and squats are my main staple on leg day.

Just wanted to say great to have you back.

Jeremy

Powerfreak
01-11-10, 2:01 pm
Hey Powerfreak,

It was in 08 and that was my first time at the cage. You and Sam Byrd put on a great squat demo and really fired up my interest in squating. Now 2 years down the road and squats are my main staple on leg day.

Just wanted to say great to have you back.

Jeremy

Thanks Bro',

looking to make another Cage apperance in '11. Gotta alot to do in that time.

Brian

Powerfreak
03-01-10, 8:22 pm
I just watched this again and noticed a huge mistake on my part.
Even though this is just kind of a basics vid, One major point needs to be corrected.
The problem..."press up and back", stupid on my part, and also probably part of the reason my bench never got out of the 6's.
The correct path of the bar sould be from where the bar comes in contact with you straight up, not back.
Attempting to shoot the bar back greatly increases the bar travel, shoulder rotation and will also, more than likely, take away from your overall control of the weight, and possibly loosing some teeth.

Try it and notice the difference. Have a training partner watch, or film it for you and see for yourself.
Post back and let everyone know how it worked.

Brian Weston

T o m m Y
03-01-10, 11:37 pm
Hmmm..i took a vid of both set ups last week and pushing back a bit towards the rack felt stronger..I see now dave tate says to bench like this now instead of straight up and down..

Did you change your sets up to straight up and down now and feel stronger?

Powerfreak
03-02-10, 4:49 am
I have started to try a more straight up movement, definitely shortens my bar travel, but as to it feeling stronger, not as of yet. I need to give it some more time, and tweak the form a little. This happens to be a great time for me to experiment with some form changes since I have just recently started back to training after quite a long layoff.
I don't have to worry to much about getting injured with alot of weight on the bar.

Brian Weston