PDA

View Full Version : P90X Anyone?

lil ox
07-28-07, 2:50 pm
I'm wondering if any of you guys have seen this infermercial and if anyone has tried it. It looks like a good cutting routine but I'm skeptical of buying anything from T.V. So I would love to know if anyone has bought it and if so how they made out. It's called P90X.

Angst
07-28-07, 10:02 pm
The P90X looks good for people who trains at home with limited equipments. With all the valueable info on this forum and articles, I don't think you'll need such program.

The_Dude
07-30-07, 10:21 am
One of my boy's just gave me a full set of this and said that he wanted me to try it. I saw some of the excercises in them and they are more for cutting or aerobics. I would recommend it for anyone cutting and looking to loose some weight. Personally it's not for me.

Medford
07-31-07, 4:34 pm
that has to be one long informercial. It just seemed to be aired all the time and I'd watch it while I was on the treadmill doing cardio. None of those guys look like bodybuilders though, which IS what I am after

Shark
07-31-07, 6:37 pm
I......"acquired"... the abs-X part of the p 90x program. I have been using it and man, do I feel like I got slammed by a truck. The abs and core parts are good. The rest are worthless IMO.

leafs43
07-31-07, 9:31 pm
I......"acquired"... the abs-X part of the p 90x program. I have been using it and man, do I feel like I got slammed by a truck. The abs and core parts are good. The rest are worthless IMO.

Post a routine. My abs have been kinda lagging as of late, need something to shock the hell out of them.

Medford
07-31-07, 9:55 pm
better yet can you post a clip on a youtube like site (youtube itself is too quick to pull videos)

Shark
08-01-07, 12:41 am
Yeah, Ill give it a watch tomorrow and write down the routine.

Trust me. If you know the routine and the times then you dont need the video. Unless you want to see the dudes in the bike shorts tell bad jokes and then get some awkward angle close up shots.

crypto
08-01-07, 8:34 am
Hahahaha

lil ox
08-01-07, 7:02 pm
Yeah I would luv to see the abs and core routine bro, always looking for something different.

Shark
08-02-07, 10:34 am
Ok guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya.

I won't upload the video anywhere because I don't have the time. But I will give you the routine. If you want to buy the video you can find it for like 15 bucks in some places.

It's called ab ripper X. Not 100 or 200. Has to be X.

Some of the moves may have weird names. I looked a few up online and found pictures of how to do them. So if you are wondering what something is, do a little research.

Any move that works both sides are 25 reps. Any move that works on side only is of course 25 reps per side. Only 20-30 seconds rest max between each move. All moves are done on the floor. I use an extra thick yoga mat to keep me stable and also keep the impact on my back down.

In & outs
Upright bicycles
Reverse upright bicycles
Crunchy frogs
cross or wide leg sit ups
Fiffer Scissors
Hip rock and raise
pulse ups
V ups followed by roll ups
Oblique v ups
leg climbs
Mason twist til burn out.

I suggest the first time you try this, make sure its the only thing you train that day. Or else you won't have enough energy for it, or for your later workout. Don't do this routine for the first time when you have to be somewhere right after. If you do it to completion, money says your not going to be feeling so hot. I know I needed about 30 minutes until the feeling of throwing up went away.

If you guys have any questions. Shoot. But of course be smart. If it's somehting simple, try looking it up first. If you can't find the answer just ask.

leafs43
08-02-07, 4:27 pm
Ok guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya.

I won't upload the video anywhere because I don't have the time. But I will give you the routine. If you want to buy the video you can find it for like 15 bucks in some places.

It's called ab ripper X. Not 100 or 200. Has to be X.

Some of the moves may have weird names. I looked a few up online and found pictures of how to do them. So if you are wondering what something is, do a little research.

Any move that works both sides are 25 reps. Any move that works on side only is of course 25 reps per side. Only 20-30 seconds rest max between each move. All moves are done on the floor. I use an extra thick yoga mat to keep me stable and also keep the impact on my back down.

In & outs
Upright bicycles
Reverse upright bicycles
Crunchy frogs
cross or wide leg sit ups
Fiffer Scissors
Hip rock and raise
pulse ups
V ups followed by roll ups
Oblique v ups
leg climbs
Mason twist til burn out.

I suggest the first time you try this, make sure its the only thing you train that day. Or else you won't have enough energy for it, or for your later workout. Don't do this routine for the first time when you have to be somewhere right after. If you do it to completion, money says your not going to be feeling so hot. I know I needed about 30 minutes until the feeling of throwing up went away.

If you guys have any questions. Shoot. But of course be smart. If it's somehting simple, try looking it up first. If you can't find the answer just ask.

Damn, that looks insane. Why not call that a cardio workout LOL.

vgiordano
05-13-08, 7:03 am
P90X is a totally customizable program. I have a pair of the bowflex db's and they promote in the video working for your goals. They have girls and guys with prosthetic legs working out in the videos showing you how to lift with bands or around your injuries or abilities.

The push ups, pull ups, abs, and all of the lifts work and are killer. Don't judge it just because its an informercial.

Brick By Brick
05-13-08, 11:27 am
My neighbors bought the full P90X set, and they really liked it. They were looking to get back in shape, and are in no way bodybuilders, but they're both fit and like the program. They stuck with it for about 8-12 months, up until just before they decided to get divorced.

Littlefry
05-13-08, 12:37 pm
so how many sets are involved in that ab routine

smith06
05-16-08, 12:01 am
my buddy has this set and I may "borrow" it he swears by it and has dropped some serious weight in a matter of no time. I'm not looking to drop too much more but another 10-20 wouldnt hurt.

LiftBig315
06-03-08, 9:44 pm
My gf just ordered it up...pretty nice for someone looking to get into shape, and starting out. I was thinking about doing some of the stuff in the morning for my cardio. I couldn't keep myself away from the weights I don't think...but I do need something that is geared towards cardio to help me drop these last 15 or so pounds.

mcbeast
06-04-08, 10:41 am
not even bothering to read through the posts..

300 workout hands down...for the "rugged" look

InkdMuscle
06-06-08, 12:56 am
The P90X looks good for people who trains at home with limited equipments. With all the valueable info on this forum and articles, I don't think you'll need such program.

Now dont get me wrong. Im not putting down the program. but that program IMO is geared to people who want to just trim the BF down and not really wory about gaining size and mass. If thats ur goal by all means balls out bro. It can do some good work. But for people wanting to gain size you have to use the good ol heavy stuff. that program doesnt incorporate any of heavy lifting in it.

mcbeast
06-06-08, 12:58 am
Now dont get me wrong. Im not putting down the program. but that program IMO is geared to people who want to just trim the BF down and not really wory about gaining size and mass. If thats ur goal by all means balls out bro. It can do some good work. But for people wanting to gain size you have to use the good ol heavy stuff. that program doesnt incorporate any of heavy lifting in it.

i think id still head to the gym 1-2x a week for SQ/Dl sessions..haha

InkdMuscle
06-06-08, 1:00 am
i think id still head to the gym 1-2x a week for SQ/Dl sessions..haha

x15

mcbeast
06-06-08, 1:02 am
x15

i think thatd produce even better results,huge test boosts with heavy leg work

FourThirty
06-07-08, 9:38 am
One of the guys at my gym took a 3 month hiatus to do that workout at home. He lost some BF, but also some size and strength.

Malloy1344
06-19-08, 1:33 pm
saw the infomercial today..

Looks like a good program someone who is inactive and is looking to get in shape and gain some strength. But for someone like us, it won't really help too much.

I'm sure it will give great cardio benefit, and help with losing fat.

But strength/muscle gains will be very difficult because our bodies are used to a much higher level of stress.

IMO, great for beginners lookin to get in shape and lose weight...but not the best option for anyone looking to add size or drop fat while preserving muscle.

LiftBig315
06-19-08, 4:52 pm
I don't know about beginners...I think just for the type that wanna get that lean/not bulky look.

I did the ab ripper part of it, I rarely work my abs...and my hip flexors got so sore that I could hardly walk...it was kinda embarassing...but like you said, cardio is a good from it...

The gf just started, we will see what kinda results she gets from it....i

Malloy1344
06-19-08, 4:55 pm
Perhaps if Chuck Norris endorsed it, I would be more convinced...

::shrugs::

LiftBig315
06-19-08, 6:57 pm
Perhaps if Chuck Norris endorsed it, I would be more convinced...

::shrugs::

haha, nice

deanna7272
06-19-08, 8:59 pm
A buddy of mine is bringing me a copy next week. I am looking to incorporate it somehow (I have to watch it first to see how I can do this) into my program... I need to (of course) cut bf and lean out the midsection (my achilles heel...lol) I am excited to check it out and get started.... I watched the informercial OVER AND OVER in my last prep because there was NOTHING else on at 5 AM while I was doing cardio...lol

DrewskiPHX
06-20-08, 2:59 pm
my mom got me p90x for a graduation gift lol, I can upload it to my computer then upload it to imageshack for you all if you would like. the ab section is diffinitely killer, first time my abs ever cramped up was because of it. give me a few days to get it to you

kicker
06-22-08, 10:17 am
Yeah if you could do that man that would be awesome that's the only thing I want out of the program is the ab part.

Suleiman
07-07-08, 8:17 am
dude theys no leg work out but yeah it covers some good principle

mcbeast
07-07-08, 9:22 am
dude theys no leg work out but yeah it covers some good principle

Its to get someone in shape,not to build size.

Trinity
07-07-08, 3:35 pm
My Nephew uses this. It actually works really well for someone who is just interested in getting in shape and conditioning. Obviously you're not going to build a ton of size on this program. You can build strength though.

The upper body workouts are based around a lot of body weight exercises. From what I've found, most people can't do a lot in the way of pulling their own weight...so you build your strength there...but everything else is more of an endurance type workout.

My Nephew got started with P90X when he was in highschool and playing basketball. It did wonders for his game. He still uses it, as he doesn't have a lot of extra money to spend on a gym membership and it definitely keeps him in shape.

I'd think it would be good for someone trying to lose some bf and maybe to incorperate something a little different into your routine. But not for anyone trying to build some serious size.

jarhead316
07-07-08, 3:43 pm
Check out "CrossFit" it is amazing, not exactly a mass producing regimen but will get you in excellent shape. I am using it as my summer cut program and I have never seen results this fast. I have been Training for over 5 years.

Just follow the Work out of the day (WOD's). Its 3 on 1 off method.

http://www.crossfit.com/

Example Work out:

Five rounds for max reps of:
Body weight bench press
Pull-ups

The idea behind cross fit is a lot of circuit training with minimum amounts of rest. "Lynne" the work out I posted above is pretty grueling.

Heres another...

For time:
45 Double-unders
135 pound Squat clean, 45 reps
45 Ring Dips
45 Double-unders

If your gym doenst have rings, the ratio for dips is 3:1....yes that is almost 150 dips

Not all days are like this. About every 2-3 weeks they throw in a cross fit total day of Standing Shoulder Press, Back Squat and Deadlift. Just keeping reps of 1 until you fail.

I came from a bodybuilding routine to this and I was sort of skeptical but I have never ever felt the way I do during these work outs. It leaves me lying on the ground gasping for air.

P.S. get ready to do massive amounts of pullups.

rockhaxor
07-08-08, 2:00 pm
I had done the p90x program after a long layoff. I had put on a bit off weight and definitely got results cutting. The nutritional guide that comes with the program is great and the workouts are aerobic oriented. I still to this day use the stretches that are done at the beginning of the tapes before lifting.

Mr. Giggles
07-09-08, 12:05 am
A co-worker of mine uses p90x and thinks that it's gawd..Imo it's too expensive and anyone with 30mins on their hands could do a little research and save a hundred...

My co worker keeps going on about how he only weighs 130lbs and can't gain weight, but loves p90x and it's working for him...He doesn't follow thier diet or supplement plan and wonders why he can't gain weight.. =/

TangoandCash
07-09-08, 10:41 pm
I use the Ab-Ripper routine. Wild pain, but I have seen results in conjunction with my weight training and cardio sessions. Luckily I didn't have to shell out the $$$$$. I got my hands on it threw a friend.

sti23
02-03-09, 5:44 pm
I've tried this program and it is intense.
They do tell you to use heavy enough weights to get about 6-8 reps on the exercises if you want size.
I don't see why you couldn't gain size if your diet was appropriate and you were lifting heavy during this program.
I liked his stressing of the concept of muscle confusion.
I do agree that it shouldn't be used alone if you are 'bodybuilding".

Nevertheless, it is a tough program. Not for your everyday overweight tv watcher looking for an easy way out.

sti23
02-08-09, 8:50 pm
I've tried this program and it is intense.
They do tell you to use heavy enough weights to get about 6-8 reps on the exercises if you want size.
I don't see why you couldn't gain size if your diet was appropriate and you were lifting heavy during this program.
I liked his stressing of the concept of muscle confusion.
I do agree that it shouldn't be used alone if you are 'bodybuilding".

Nevertheless, it is a tough program. Not for your everyday overweight tv watcher looking for an easy way out.

i'm curious about what everyone else thinks.
Any opinions?

Pizzalamp
02-08-09, 10:08 pm
i'm curious about what everyone else thinks.
Any opinions?

i say do it

lil ox
02-14-09, 10:22 am
I cant believe this thread is still close to the top. I bought the program and followed it almost to the T. I got real tired of doing push-ups and pull-ups. I also lost about 25 pounds on my bench which i was not happy with. My core got alot stronger however and i did lose some bf. The pace is great so what have done is subsituded the exercises for weights but follow the same pace with the tv on mute because the instuctor gets real annoying. Now that is a great blast to your routine. A good change. I would not reccomend it for anyone who is looking to do anything other than cut bf. Some of the workouts are great but get kinda repititous after a couple weeks. I did get a couple exercises out of the program that are real killers but all and all not worth the money.

AFTazz06
02-14-09, 11:27 am
I cant believe this thread is still close to the top. I bought the program and followed it almost to the T. I got real tired of doing push-ups and pull-ups. I also lost about 25 pounds on my bench which i was not happy with. My core got alot stronger however and i did lose some bf. The pace is great so what have done is subsituded the exercises for weights but follow the same pace with the tv on mute because the instuctor gets real annoying. Now that is a great blast to your routine. A good change. I would not reccomend it for anyone who is looking to do anything other than cut bf. Some of the workouts are great but get kinda repititous after a couple weeks. I did get a couple exercises out of the program that are real killers but all and all not worth the money.

Thats what i've always believed P90X to be all about, just getting a 6 pack. Nothing more, its aimed at those guys who only want to look good for the beach.

Dedicated2Liftin
02-15-09, 1:05 am
I've got some guys in my class that are doing this and think it's hot shit....whatever. As many above had said, it's good tool to use for cutting, but it's not really going to get you any stronger.

IronTeacher
08-05-09, 9:23 pm
Hey Fellas,

My wife and i were blessed with a healthy daughter (she was at higher risk for downs and it has caused 6 months of stress and worry) but now she is here my time has become somewhat more limited. We ordered p90x mostly for my wife b/c she likes to work out but I think I can only get to the gym 3 days a week with 2 muscle groups each lift. If anyone has any suggestions on the best routine (which muscle groups, which p90x dvd, I have my own ideas but I was hoping for some help) You guys have always been a diorama (the whole scene) of knowledge so I humbly ask for your help.

Goals: Increase strength, lose maybe 5-7 pounds. I am 5' 11" 208 pounds.

Thx fellas and welcome Charlotte Mary to the world!

whosnexttt
08-05-09, 9:39 pm
Hey Fellas,

My wife and i were blessed with a healthy daughter (she was at higher risk for downs and it has caused 6 months of stress and worry) but now she is here my time has become somewhat more limited. We ordered p90x mostly for my wife b/c she likes to work out but I think I can only get to the gym 3 days a week with 2 muscle groups each lift. If anyone has any suggestions on the best routine (which muscle groups, which p90x dvd, I have my own ideas but I was hoping for some help) You guys have always been a diorama (the whole scene) of knowledge so I humbly ask for your help.

Goals: Increase strength, lose maybe 5-7 pounds. I am 5' 11" 208 pounds.

Thx fellas and welcome Charlotte Mary to the world!

Good to hear man, and welcome to the forum.

In a 3 day split you can try something like this

day 1 chest,shoulders,triceps

bench press
incline dumbbell press
military press
dumbbell laters (side and rear)
lying barbell or ez-bar skullcrusher

day 2 rest

day 3 legs

stiff-leg dumbbell deadlifts
leg press or hack squats
leg curls

day 4 rest

day 5 back,biceps

chin-ups or pullups
dumbbell row
barbell curl
preacher curl
barbell shrugs

day 6,7 rest

you said you want more strength and lose bodyfat? man we all want that haha, but it really comes down to diet, how does your diet look like right now?

go ahead and put in deadlifts and squats once you get use to the routine for a few weeks or a couple months

shizz702
08-06-09, 7:23 am
Who's next laid it out for you, a "push, pull, legs" routine would be perfect for you.