PDA

View Full Version : HIT (High Intensity Training)

Terranova1340
08-10-07, 10:54 am
Alright I am sure this type of thing has been posted before so I will appalogize now I did use the search function and I was unable to find anything to match what I was looking for.

What I was looking for is I have done some research on HIT training specifically Dorian Yates's version while that interests me it is not exactally what I am looking for what I am looking for is a routine to build strength, I know for building muscle for me I seem to do better doing tons of reps, but in the past I have experimented with some low reps and managed to get stronger. What I am wondering is if there is if there is like a 6 week program that can be applied to build raw strength. My idea is to rotate between an HVT and a HIT Routine, using one with the idea of building mass, and one with the idea of building strength. In the past (in highschool) we did this routine where we would focus on Flat Bench Incline Bench Squats and Dead Lifts, we also followed a percentage chart type routine which would increase weekly for instance

Day One Week One (Higher reps 8-10)
Flat Bench
1 set at a certian %
1 Set at a slightly higher %
1 Set at a Slightly Higher %

Lat Pull Downs
No Percentages just regular Weight

Day Off

Day two week one (Higher Reps 8-10)
Incline Bench
1 Set Certian %
1 Set Certian %
1 Set Certian %

Seated Rows
No Percentages just normal Weight

Day Off

Day Three
Squats and deads both to percentages
A similar chart can be found here http://www.criticalbench.com/weight-training-chart.htm
----------------------------------
Basically each week this type of work out would go up in weight up in sets and down in reps. If you did a push you were supposed to then do a pulling movement. I changed it up from this slightly but I know it does work for adding some strength I just think it focuses to much on 4 exercises as opposed to your whole body. The way I see it is why get your chest and legs rock strong if your shoulders and bis aren't. Now I considered applying the percentages to other movements but in some regards I feel this may be a recipe for a bad injury. Tell me what you guys think or if you use anything like this. My thinking is like i said above to rotate lifting for size and lifting for strength I think it will be a good combination for what I am looking to do any input would be apreciated thanks.

hardcorehitter
03-22-08, 3:19 pm
I have been doing HIT for a while now and it seems to be slowing down a little... However i really like the style of training since it is so intense. Does anyone else know about this... if so post your training routine.

sanga
03-22-08, 3:27 pm
Do a search mate, there has been a lot on this ion the past.

dyskee
03-22-08, 4:40 pm
hey hardcorehitter i have been interested in hit training for a while do you know how to make a training plan and can u explain how to train using this method?

LegendKillerJosh
03-22-08, 8:12 pm
I follow a Mentzer-style HIT routine. It goes like this:

Day 1 - Chest and Back
(warm up on Incline bench)
Flyes - 1 set 6-10 reps
Inc Bench - 1 set 3-5 reps
(warm up on palm-in)
Straight Arm pulldowns - 1 set 6-10 reps
PalmIn Pulldowns - 1 set 6-10 reps
Deads - 1 set

Day 2 - Legs and Abs
(warm up on squat)
Leg extensions - 1 set 12-20 reps
Squat - 1 set 12-20 reps
Calf raises - 1 set 6-10 reps
Crunches - 1 set 6-10 reps

Day 3 - Delts and Arms
Side Raises - 1 set 6-10 reps
Bent Lateral raises - 1 set 6-10 reps
Palm in Pulldowns - 1 set 6-10 reps
Dips - 1 set 6-10 reps

Day 4 - Legs and Abs again

Workouts are performed every 3-7 days. Reps must be done very slowly, very controlled, no momentum, perfect form. When a pre-exhaust cycle is utilized, rest no more than 10 seconds between completing the pre-exhaust set and the compound movement set.

hardcorehitter
03-24-08, 5:03 pm
you can consider me an expert on that HIT shit. Iv read a few books, I participate on HIT only forums, and iv read numerous research studies on it, I am also thinking about gettng a cert in HIT training. What type of routine are you looking for? I can specialize in any bodypart, or give you an advanced, intermediate, or beginner routine for your whole body.

dyskee
03-24-08, 6:38 pm
can you give me a whole body hit routine to gain size and strength and minimize fat gain i stand now at 11%bf , iam fairly advanced in high volume training but i don't know anything about HIT training so if u can help me it would be great but i'd like you to detail everything for instance if u say do warmup sets tell me how many , u get me?

hardcorehitter
03-24-08, 8:17 pm
Ok man i get what you mean.

1st you gotta know this:
You must go to failure on each set: this means the muscle you are working cannot physically contract anymore, when most people say failure they mean percieved failure, there is a difference. Physical failure is shit hard to do. But if you do it youll grow a lot more then percieved failure, its often the difference bewtween doing 1-2 reps more.

You do 8-12 reps on each set. So lets say you do 8 reps to failure then next time it should be 9 then 10 then 11 then 12, once you hit 12 increase the weight by 2.5 pounds on each side or 5 pounds total. When you 1st try hit you may do 12 the 1st time... meaning you may need to increase the weight more then 5 pounds, use your head.

The weight you use for sets is generally 20% of your 1RP Max.

Form must be perfect. You have to go 4 seconds for positive and 4 seconds on the negetive portions of the movement. a total of about 8 seconds per rep. You cannot explode or use momentum or any of that shit.

Do bigger muscles first then smaller muscles.

Do not rest in bewtween exercises.

dont do cardio for a while, unless you think you need it.

heres the routine:
Leg curls
Leg extentions
Squats
Calf raises
Overhead Press
Pullover Machine or barbell
Dip
Bent over row
Tricep extention
biceps curl
bent knee sit up
4 way neck-if you have one
Shoulder shrug

dyskee
03-25-08, 7:19 am
ok so one balls out set what about the warmups, and don't u think that 20% of my rep max is too little

hardcorehitter
03-29-08, 12:26 am
sorry for the delay man... iv had a lotta shit to do...

NO warm ups
srry it is 80 percent of your 1RP that was a typo.

dyskee
03-29-08, 12:37 pm
thnx bro no prob :D

Tomakazi
12-08-08, 6:19 pm
Hey everybody i have been working out for years, and tried manny different types of routines. You name it i have probally used it. Just about six months ago i started doing High Intensity Training, and have been very pleased with it's results. My question is does anyone else us it, and what to you think about it? Also what are your workouts like?

J.Damico
12-08-08, 7:59 pm
When you have been lifting for several years mixing up your routines will be the key component to muscle growth. As you know the human body is extremely adaptive, familiarizing itself with certain movements very quickly. By hitting your muscles at different angles at different times, in different patterns will stimulate your muscle growth as long as you are overloading your muscles forcing them to do more work than they are used too and in many cases can handle (hence the expression "til failure"). Now thrown in your high intensity training and you are all set!
I love high intensity training it has been part of my lifting for years, however i cycle it, to further confuse my body. Watch out for over training and get your calories in!

BaseballMonster
12-21-08, 4:42 pm
Anyone here like the way that Yates or Metzer trained? I tried it out a few times and found out that it was a huge success for me. Anyone else have the experience of lifting and growing like this?

shizz702
12-21-08, 5:53 pm
Here's a basic outline of HIT: http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-hit-training.aspx

Pizzalamp
12-21-08, 9:15 pm
Anyone here like the way that Yates or Metzer trained? I tried it out a few times and found out that it was a huge success for me. Anyone else have the experience of lifting and growing like this?

i love it
my recovery is so much better and each week my weights are increasing

shizz702
12-21-08, 9:32 pm
i love it
my recovery is so much better and each week my weights are increasing

I hear that bro, I train in a similar manner and for the most part increase the weight every workout.

castilo
12-22-08, 12:09 am
i tried hit before but the full body was too much for me so towards the end i could not put as much intensity in it. it is good but when i hit failure and can't do a rep with great form, i just really don't feel the muscles working. that is when im on a split. i think more sets is better for me but i will be on a hit in the following winter because of the scheduling.

BaseballMonster
01-13-09, 3:37 am
i got myself the HIT book with Mike Metzer.......

Tomakazi
05-11-09, 2:10 am
All of Mike Mentzer's books are amazing! I have studied them extensively, and highly recommend them. esp. "The Wisdom of Mike Mentzer." His work training and influencing Dorian Yates is very inspiring, and maybe sometimes over looked.

"You have a choice: you can exercise a lot, or you can train hard, but you cannot do both...." -Arthur Jones

msktyshha
03-11-10, 9:24 am
ok does anyone trains this way? It's like only 1 working set per exercise and 2 exercises for a bodypart. Like 2 total sets for shoulders. Comment please cons and pros of heavy duty. is this like the extreme of not overtraining?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvhS8D1A0uA

theharjmann
03-11-10, 10:19 am
Alright I am sure this type of thing has been posted before so I will appalogize now I did use the search function and I was unable to find anything to match what I was looking for.

What I was looking for is I have done some research on HIT training specifically Dorian Yates's version while that interests me it is not exactally what I am looking for what I am looking for is a routine to build strength, I know for building muscle for me I seem to do better doing tons of reps, but in the past I have experimented with some low reps and managed to get stronger. What I am wondering is if there is if there is like a 6 week program that can be applied to build raw strength. My idea is to rotate between an HVT and a HIT Routine, using one with the idea of building mass, and one with the idea of building strength. In the past (in highschool) we did this routine where we would focus on Flat Bench Incline Bench Squats and Dead Lifts, we also followed a percentage chart type routine which would increase weekly for instance

Day One Week One (Higher reps 8-10)
Flat Bench
1 set at a certian %
1 Set at a slightly higher %
1 Set at a Slightly Higher %

Lat Pull Downs
No Percentages just regular Weight

Day Off

Day two week one (Higher Reps 8-10)
Incline Bench
1 Set Certian %
1 Set Certian %
1 Set Certian %

Seated Rows
No Percentages just normal Weight

Day Off

Day Three
Squats and deads both to percentages
A similar chart can be found here http://www.criticalbench.com/weight-training-chart.htm
----------------------------------
Basically each week this type of work out would go up in weight up in sets and down in reps. If you did a push you were supposed to then do a pulling movement. I changed it up from this slightly but I know it does work for adding some strength I just think it focuses to much on 4 exercises as opposed to your whole body. The way I see it is why get your chest and legs rock strong if your shoulders and bis aren't. Now I considered applying the percentages to other movements but in some regards I feel this may be a recipe for a bad injury. Tell me what you guys think or if you use anything like this. My thinking is like i said above to rotate lifting for size and lifting for strength I think it will be a good combination for what I am looking to do any input would be apreciated thanks.

"HIT"

the minute that abbreviation crops up there is absolutely NO need to look any further than Dorian Yates

6 time Mr Olympia himself.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian_yates_training_insight.htm

Remember that its all about making that one set as intense as possible. And the only way you are gonna do that is by understanding muscle physiology.

Also have a watch of this. Fuking amazing. It is the epitome of HIT...

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/contests/2010-arnold-classic/2722-road-to-the-arnold-kai-greene-trains-back-with-dorian-yates-part-one.html

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/contests/2010-arnold-classic/2723-road-to-the-arnold-kai-greene-trains-back-with-dorian-yates-part-two.html

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/contests/2010-arnold-classic/2724-road-to-the-arnold-kai-greene-trains-back-with-dorian-yates-part-three.html

Peace

Razor
03-11-10, 12:06 pm
Just started this last night. I'll be logging progress in my journey. Last night was pretty crazy considering i was coming off of a pyramid routine. Less sets with more weight. Pretty intense and a lot faster than the pyramid. I like what i see so far. Time will only tell what it does to my body.

msktyshha
03-11-10, 1:01 pm
i did some side laterals the hit way today. I picked up a 20lb dumbbell and did side laterals with it 1 side at a time. I didn't explode the dumbbell, instead took 4 secs to bring it up then held it up for 4 seconds and then took 4 seconds to bring it back ti starting position. did around 7 good reps and my shoulders were pumped. I know the laterals worked well with this technique but can all exercises be done this way? Also it seems mike mentzer and dorian yates hit is some what different, which ones better?

Razor
03-11-10, 1:04 pm
i did some side laterals the hit way today. I picked up a 20lb dumbbell and did side laterals with it 1 side at a time. I didn't explode the dumbbell, instead took 4 secs to bring it up then held it up for 4 seconds and then took 4 seconds to bring it back ti starting position. did around 7 good reps and my shoulders were pumped. I know the laterals worked well with this technique but can all exercises be done this way?

Yes that's the idea. You're doing it the right way from what i understand. After about 6-8 weeks you/we can experiment with drop sets/forced negatives and even increase the number of sets but for those weeks try and stay focused on that "one real" set. I'm starting to feel the effects from it last night btw bro. Keep it up!

Razor
03-11-10, 1:09 pm
i did some side laterals the hit way today. I picked up a 20lb dumbbell and did side laterals with it 1 side at a time. I didn't explode the dumbbell, instead took 4 secs to bring it up then held it up for 4 seconds and then took 4 seconds to bring it back ti starting position. did around 7 good reps and my shoulders were pumped. I know the laterals worked well with this technique but can all exercises be done this way? Also it seems mike mentzer and dorian yates hit is some what different, which ones better?

I think i missed something though. Did you increase the weight as you were doing this? Like let's say 20lbs was your warm up for 10x. Then you picked up 30s and did it for 7 good hard reps. Was that something you did?

msktyshha
03-11-10, 1:14 pm
I need to research on this more to make a routine out of it. let me know how your routine looks like, cause I am thinking about doing a split routine, like chest and tris, back and bis, legs, shoulders traps. i don't know how i will work this out. lets say for chest I am doing 3 sets of flyes, 3 sets of decline and 3 sets of incline with weights pyramiding up, so i how can i incorporate HIT with my current routine.

msktyshha
03-11-10, 1:16 pm
i warmed up with 2 sets with 15lbs and then a working set with 20lb dumbell

Razor
03-11-10, 1:17 pm
i warmed up with 2 sets with 15lbs and then a working set with 20lb dumbell

Cool cool. Yep you're on the right path bro.

msktyshha
03-11-10, 1:34 pm
so is that the whole point, like do two warmup sets and then do the last set with 80% of your one rep max and do it balls out. then next week when you do the same exercise, then again warmup with 2 sets and do a working set with the 80%, this time increasing in reps, and just progress each week in reps until u hit 10-12 reps and then once 10-12 reps have been hit just increase the weight the next week. So can this be done with all exercises? of all body parts.

Razor
03-11-10, 1:38 pm
so is that the whole point, like do two warmup sets and then do the last set with 80% of your one rep max and do it balls out. then next week when you do the same exercise, then again warmup with 2 sets and do a working set with the 80%, this time increasing in reps, and just progress each week in reps until u hit 10-12 reps and then once 10-12 reps have been hit just increase the weight the next week. So can this be done with all exercises? of all body parts.

Well from what i understand, and from the research i've done on the boards and on other sites previously, that is the general idea but you always want to mix up your workouts. Meaning like if youre doing dumbell bench presses dont do it 6 straight weeks ya know? Like i'll do that and then the week after i'll do flat bench with the bar. Maybe the 3rd week i'll jump back on dumbells. It's still new to me but this is what i gather thus far and that's my gameplan. Obviously you want to incorporate other chest exercises with that. Like i'll do incline presses and cable flies.

msktyshha
03-11-10, 1:54 pm
yeh but mixing up stuff every now and then kinda sways me away from the whole progressing thing, and gets confusing thats why i want to keep it as simple as possible, just pick 3 exercises that hit me good and stick with them until I can't progress on them in weight or reps, you know like a plateau

msktyshha
03-16-10, 10:23 pm
did a HIT style chest and tris workout on monday and it felt awesome. started off with 2 warmup sets of incline press and then 1 working set with heavy weight, emphasizing all three portions of the reps positive, static and negative. moved on to decline press and did the same and finished chest off with two working sets of flyes. For triceps went straight into 2 working sets of heavy overhead dumbbell extensions and then 2 working sets of rope pushdowns. Short and intense and loved it. Felt a deep tear of my muscles and a great pump.

swoleberry
05-15-10, 12:41 pm
hey brothers.
just wondering if there is anyone else out there who follows the late great mike mentzer?
me and my lifting buddy have been doing the h.i.t. regimen for a while.
im currently doing a 3 day split of h.i.t.
monday-chest and back
wednesday-legs and abs
friday-shoulders and arms
my buddy however is doing a once every five days split

looking forward to any insights from the fellow h.i.t. community

mcbeast
05-15-10, 1:31 pm
hey brothers.
just wondering if there is anyone else out there who follows the late great mike mentzer?
me and my lifting buddy have been doing the h.i.t. regimen for a while.
im currently doing a 3 day split of h.i.t.
monday-chest and back
wednesday-legs and abs
friday-shoulders and arms
my buddy however is doing a once every five days split

looking forward to any insights from the fellow h.i.t. community

Have you read this book?

http://www.topmedicalbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/The-New-High-Intensity-Training-The-Best-Muscle-Building-System-Youve-Never-Tried.jpg

I learned alot from it.
Ive toyed around with HIT a few times, its pretty cool.

msktyshha
05-15-10, 2:09 pm
"add up to 18 pounds of muscle is just 2 weeks" hmmmmmmmm.........

mcbeast
05-15-10, 2:12 pm
"add up to 18 pounds of muscle is just 2 weeks" hmmmmmmmm.........

Not saying I believe the hype, good book none the less.

swoleberry
05-15-10, 2:22 pm
okay brothers do not be persuaded by ellington dardens h.i.t. approach

i have read that book to you out there and his approach is not true h.i.t.
ellington darden's book proposes a beginner, intermediate, and advanced
his advanced is the beginners h.i.t. as made by arthur jones, casey viator, and the mentzers

if you must read h.i.t. read anything by mike mentzer
i.e.: heavy duty II......or high intensity training the mike mentzer way......or the wisdom of mentzer (featuring john little)

aside of that note still looking for fellow h.i.t. brothers

msktyshha
05-15-10, 2:23 pm
thing about hit that I don't like is that it involves working out with too many machines, that these days hardly exist in many gyms. So the whole strict HIT program can be impossible for many guys to follow. That's why I am a big fan of dorian yates HIT style, he made a lot of sense out of it. I guess that book can be worth a read even though it does exaggerate.

swoleberry
05-15-10, 2:28 pm
my friend the dorian yates approach involves machines as well.
however there are plenty of replacement free weight exercises
i.e. lat pullover machine
just go to a standard pull down attachment and while standing and keeping the arms straight to straight arm pull downs it is complete lat isolation as is the pullover machine

msktyshha
05-15-10, 2:35 pm
my friend the dorian yates approach involves machines as well.

Not as much as mike mentzer, dorians HIT is way more flexible and make a lot more sense than the extreme mike mentzer

korinek00
05-15-10, 4:48 pm
Next week I'm going to start experimenting with a low volume approach. See how it goes.

swoleberry
05-15-10, 5:11 pm
sounds good my friend
keep me posted
i have done h.i.t. for quite some time
it is very effective when done properly
best of luck

E-Train
05-16-10, 5:24 pm
I train Metzer's way year round (and have his book) excellent results. All the people in my gym look at me like I have three heads but then again you have to find what kind of style of training works for you. Metzer and Yates made this style big, I don't see many bodybuilders today training this way, I see all the guys in my gym doing chest, arms, abs and walk around like they are hot stuff, but then when you go to the squat rack they all walk away.......

PORTERHOUSE
05-16-10, 5:48 pm
just train.

swoleberry
05-16-10, 10:03 pm
okay if you are looking for strength hit will work just fine
every workout you are required to increase weight therefore requiring you to get stronger

swoleberry
05-20-10, 10:53 pm
When you have been lifting for several years mixing up your routines will be the key component to muscle growth. As you know the human body is extremely adaptive, familiarizing itself with certain movements very quickly. By hitting your muscles at different angles at different times, in different patterns will stimulate your muscle growth as long as you are overloading your muscles forcing them to do more work than they are used too and in many cases can handle (hence the expression "til failure"). Now thrown in your high intensity training and you are all set!
I love high intensity training it has been part of my lifting for years, however i cycle it, to further confuse my body. Watch out for over training and get your calories in!

as you see my friends of high intensity, this quote brings up an interesting rhetorical question from none other than mike mentzer. Muscle Confusion? A is A, Man is Man, Muscle is Muscle. A muscle does not have a brain so how do you confuse it?

PORTERHOUSE
05-21-10, 8:27 am
as you see my friends of high intensity, this quote brings up an interesting rhetorical question from none other than mike mentzer. Muscle Confusion? A is A, Man is Man, Muscle is Muscle. A muscle does not have a brain so how do you confuse it?

umm, seriously?