PDA

View Full Version : Weight/Strength Plateau

IluvIron
08-13-07, 10:35 pm
Alright guys Im currently trying to cut and Im following a 2000 cal. diet. Its comes out to about 300 grams of protein,100 grams of carbs, and about 50-60 grams of fat. It comes out of protein shakes, MRP's, Tuna, Chicken, Salmon, LIguid Egg Whites, NAtural PB, W/W bread, and Oats. first time i did this diet i was losing steadily abotu 2-2.5 lbs per week and about 1-2 inches off of my stomach. I then stopped for about a month because I stopped goin to the gym because of a back Injury. Then when I came back On it about 3-4 weeks ago all I have lost is 2.5 lbs and .5 of an inch in my stomach. I have on cheat meal a week so it shouldnt be low leptin levels or slowed down metabolisim. This weekly cheat meal was part of diet last time as well so I really dont know whats goin on because I have been doing it all the same cardio and everything. So i wanted some suggestion to see what you guys think about it
By the way Im 5'9 weigh about 203 lbs. and my bf % is above well above 20 for sure.

adidas
08-13-07, 10:41 pm
Alright guys Im currently trying to cut and Im following a 2000 cal. diet. Its comes out to about 300 grams of protein,100 grams of carbs, and about 50-60 grams of fat. It comes out of protein shakes, MRP's, Tuna, Chicken, Salmon, LIguid Egg Whites, NAtural PB, W/W bread, and Oats. first time i did this diet i was losing steadily abotu 2-2.5 lbs per week and about 1-2 inches off of my stomach. I then stopped for about a month because I stopped goin to the gym because of a back Injury. Then when I came back On it about 3-4 weeks ago all I have lost is 2.5 lbs and .5 of an inch in my stomach. I have on cheat meal a week so it shouldnt be low leptin levels or slowed down metabolisim. This weekly cheat meal was part of diet last time as well so I really dont know whats goin on because I have been doing it all the same cardio and everything. So i wanted some suggestion to see what you guys think about it
By the way Im 5'9 weigh about 203 lbs. and my bf % is above well above 20 for sure.
lower you calories again. adjusted for your new wt.

Syringemouth
08-14-07, 10:22 am
I would ALWAYS hit plateaus while dieting. Here is what I did to overcome that:

After finishing up a bulk I first went straight to the "cuts" and increased my cardio to 4 days a week for 20 min. Every week after I would increase my cardio by 10 min, and NOT drop my calories at all. Once I was at 60 min of cardio for 4 days a week if the scale didn't move I would then start dropping calories (about 200-300 per week). Keep the cardio at a max. of 60 mins. a day at first and then adjust.

You also need to eat enough. Your body simply won't drop weight because you are exercising and not feeding it enough. If the body feels as if it is starving it will hold on to the fat because that is a way it can survive. Your body needs "X" amount of calories a day just to function. If you are burning off 500 a cardio session AND not eating enough your brain tells the body to hold on to the fat at all costs.

If you eat enough and do enough cardio the weight will come off. Try increasing your calories by 300 and I will bet that you will lose weight the following week.

Also try not to eat the MRB's MOST contain a lot of sugar. I would keep the cheat meals in once a week however. Good luck.

IluvIron
08-14-07, 12:33 pm
Thanks guys that is what I am going to do, mess around with my cal. and make sure the cardio is there.

JJRiel
01-17-08, 1:57 pm
Hey guys, I've been stuck at the same weight now for almost 2 weeks (bulking), and I'm looking for a little help and criticism on my diet. Here some personal info:

Weight: 218
BF%: 20%

Eating Routine:

Wake up:
1 can of tuna
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup of oatmeal
1 cup of skim milk
1 cup of orange juice
1 banana
-
2 hours later:
2 scoops of whey
1 scoop of uni-syn
1 cup of spinach
1 can of red kidney beans
-
2 hours later:
1 chicken breast
2 whole eggs
1 cup of pistachios
1 red potato
1 cup of carrots
1 cup of milk
-
2 hours later:
2 scoops of whey
1 scoop of uni-syn
1 cup of spinach
1 apple
-
2 hours later:
1 can of tuna
1 cup of crab
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
3 servings of wheat pasta
1 cup of milk
1 cup of oj
-
2 hours later:
2 scoops of whey
1 scoop of uni-syn
2 slices of wheat bread
4 tablespoons of peanutbutter (not natty)
-
Before Bed:
2 cups of milk

I eat 5000g+ cals, 400g+ protein. I dont keep track of carbs although I should.

Should I raise my cals more and chance getting more BF?(20% is pretty high) OR should I consume more protein... or both?

Thanks for any input.

Elite
01-17-08, 2:03 pm
No Red Meat?

JJRiel
01-17-08, 2:12 pm
Should I put in some in? Ground beef perhaps. What do you suggest?

Terranova1340
01-17-08, 2:29 pm
Ground meat is great for putting on size. I eat at least 32oz of it a day. I was doing mostly chicken then switched to beef and maybe it was a placeo but 2 weeks after my strength gains were unreal so I would just try it.

Big Wides
01-17-08, 2:30 pm
I would add the following:

Steak
Ground beef
Ground Bison
Brown Rice
Barely
Sandwhiches (jsut plop whatever you want between two slices of bread)

It also seems that you are consuming a lot of shakes, i would hit up the whole foods more often but also don't neglect your shakes, maybe have 2 a day. Remember your bulking so have fun eating whatever you want, feel free to get "dirty" once and a while and enjoy the finer foods in life (the ones you cant have while cutting). If you want so ice cream, go ahead, cake sure why not, another steak - bring it on. Just eat bro, you'll be fine

Also are you doing any cardio? and whats your training look like

Wasteland
01-17-08, 2:55 pm
What you decide to eat is less important than how much you eat at this point. If you're not gaining any weight, the main problem is simply that you're not eating enough. Want to get big? You have to eat big.

barischeg
01-17-08, 3:05 pm
i saw about 4 of ur meals consist of whey protein.. if u take whey during the day other than the times needed like after/before workout.. cuz of such a fast digestability of the whey it will mostly turned to urea and pissed out.. i would suggest red meat and eggs in most of ur meals.. they are must slower in digestion and it will make the difference in tryin to break that plateau..

JJRiel
01-17-08, 3:05 pm
I'm definately gonna put in a nice big ass chunk of redmeat into my diet. I think imma go with ground beef and just cook up a batch that will last 3-4 days.

Big Wides --

"It also seems that you are consuming a lot of shakes, i would hit up the whole foods more often but also don't neglect your shakes, maybe have 2 a day."

I will take your advice on too many shakes and replace one with a wholesome meal. I do feel at times after I consume a shake that it didn't hit the spot and I am often left feeling hungry.

"Remember your bulking so have fun eating whatever you want, feel free to get "dirty" once and a while and enjoy the finer foods in life"

I try to eat very clean, maybe too clean. My BF has raised considerably(~3%) since begining my bulk cycle 2 months ago, so I am very strict. Maybe I'm just being a pussy and shouldn't even pay attention to it.

"Also are you doing any cardio? and whats your training look like"
I don't do any cardio. I train intensely on a 2 days on, 1 day off cycle. I do chest - back, off, tri's - bi's, off, shoulders - legs, off... then repeat. I do 4-5 exercises / 3-4 sets per body part. I change my reps every week.

Wasteland
01-17-08, 3:09 pm
I'm definately gonna put in a nice big ass chunk of redmeat into my diet. I think imma go with ground beef and just cook up a batch that will last 3-4 days.

Big Wides --

"It also seems that you are consuming a lot of shakes, i would hit up the whole foods more often but also don't neglect your shakes, maybe have 2 a day."

I will take your advice on too many shakes and replace one with a wholesome meal. I do feel at times after I consume a shake that it didn't hit the spot and I am often left feeling hungry.

"Remember your bulking so have fun eating whatever you want, feel free to get "dirty" once and a while and enjoy the finer foods in life"

I try to eat very clean, maybe too clean. My BF has raised considerably(~3%) since begining my bulk cycle 2 months ago, so I am very strict. Maybe I'm just being a pussy and shouldn't even pay attention to it.

I don't do any cardio. I train intensely on a 2 days on, 1 day off cycle. I do chest - back, off, tri's - bi's, off, shoulders - legs, off... then repeat. I do 4-5 exercises / 3-4 sets per body part. I change my reps every week.

Red meat? No red meat? That's not the issue. Sure, beef is a great addition to any bulk, but again, the bottom line is calories. You simply aren't getting enough.

Regarding shakes, they have many pros and cons. Gastric emptying, can be a pro if you're bulking. Keep the shakes. As you said, you're still hungry after you drink them. This is a good thing. Why? Because you're getting the calories AND most importantly, you're still hungry. So drink the shakes and THEN get another meal in. Remember, shakes are your friend when you have a difficult time eating.

JJRiel
01-17-08, 3:14 pm
Wasteland --

"What you decide to eat is less important than how much you eat at this point. If you're not gaining any weight, the main problem is simply that you're not eating enough. Want to get big? You have to eat big."

Understood, I think im just a bit pussified over the fact of how much BF I've gained and too cautious on what I eat and the ammount. Imma try to step it up a level.

Big Wides
01-17-08, 3:18 pm

now this isnt a green light to go pig out, still eat clean but maybe like once every three days throw a cheat meal in the mix. I myself have done clean bulks, and have had great results from them. your split looks good, also remember patience is the key, switch some things up and see where it goes. if you feel like you need to hold back since your dont feel comfortable then do it......bulk to however you feel comfortable....but like Wasteland said, an increase in your calories will benefit you

Wasteland
01-17-08, 3:19 pm
Wasteland --

"What you decide to eat is less important than how much you eat at this point. If you're not gaining any weight, the main problem is simply that you're not eating enough. Want to get big? You have to eat big."

Understood, I think im just a bit pussified over the fact of how much BF I've gained and too cautious on what I eat and the ammount. Imma try to step it up a level.

You can't worry too much about the bodyfat. It will be as inevitable as rain. You'll just have to learn to live with it. At some point when it becomes unbearable", you can try different nutritional/exercise strategies to cope with it. But, with any good bulk, comes bodyfat. No two ways around it. Too many people want to focus on complex stuff, like what exactly to eat, the ratios of this to that, or how many servings of grains, or proteins, or whatever. The truth is far simpler. If you're not gaining weight, simply eat more. After a while, you'll get the hang of if, and know what kind of adjustments to make. You'll know the foods that you respond to better than others. It's too difficult for you (or anyone for that matter) to come to a place like this, and to ask how your diet looks. We can't know how you respond to carbs. We can't know what your metabolism is. Everyone responds to different foods differently. What we do know is this. That at a certain point, when you've upped your calories enough, you'll start to gain weight. The trick is for you to figure out when that happens. Hope this helps.

Wasteland
01-17-08, 3:21 pm
now this isnt a green light to go pig out, still eat clean but maybe like once every three days throw a cheat meal in the mix. I myself have done clean bulks, and have had great results from them. your split looks good, also remember patience is the key, switch some things up and see where it goes. if you feel like you need to hold back since your dont feel comfortable then do it......bulk to however you feel comfortable....but like Wasteland said, an increase in your calories will benefit you

Sure, in an ideal world, eating "clean" makes a whole lot of sense. But sometimes, you just have to eat. Eat everything that isn't nailed down. Sometimes, you just have to cram food down and not worry about this, that or the other thing. Why complicate? For many beginners, the real trick is just getting enough calories, plain and simple. I see too many beginners get sidetracked by advice like, "Eat clean". I've been doing this a long time, and I still don't quite know what eating "clean" actually means, LOL.

JJRiel
01-17-08, 3:29 pm
Thanks, great advice.

Wasteland
01-17-08, 3:30 pm
Thanks, great advice.

Don't thank me JJRiel. Just go do it. And good luck. Let us know how the bulk goes. Once you're in the middle of it, you'll be able to ask the members here more specific questions that will help you in your quest. If you can, keep a food log.

JJRiel
01-17-08, 3:38 pm
Wasteland --

"If you can, keep a food log."
Ya definately, was thinking about making one of these. I need the criticism to make sure I'm doing shit right.

Time to eat.

Wasteland
01-18-08, 9:12 am
Wasteland --

"If you can, keep a food log."
Ya definately, was thinking about making one of these. I need the criticism to make sure I'm doing shit right.

Time to eat.

Criticism? I think this place offers support. The food log may open your eyes. Good luck.

J D R
05-11-09, 1:15 pm
does anyone have a diet they use to help them bust through a plateu, how high do you up your protein and carbs? and for how long do you follow it?
im not really plateuing right now but i can feel that i have to change something up so i can see more gains
any help?

Survivor831
05-11-09, 2:30 pm
Start by adding 500 calories to your diet and see where that takes you. 50 grams of protein, 50 grams of carbs and 10 grams or so of fat a day and stay there for a couple of weeks. So if you are eating 3000 calories a day, up it to 3500. Nothing busts you out of a rut like good ol' quality food! Good Luck

Fleadom4all
08-04-09, 4:07 pm
Well I am somewhat new, I have been lifting for over a year, started the gym recently and have been taking pump, and whey protein, and am on my last week of Cuts. I was stuck around 175 forever, but I bumped up my workout big time and started dieting harder, Im noticing more muscle but I still have a gut and big thighs. I got down to 166, and I'm now at 172. Have I plateau'd around 175? It says my ideal weight should be around 150+ for a guy 5'9". Any thoughts?

C.Coronato
08-04-09, 4:14 pm
150 at 5'9'' you would be really skinny. How is your diet now?

dannynb
08-04-09, 4:55 pm
Like TTL said, what's your diet look like now?

Fleadom4all
08-04-09, 5:09 pm
Well I'm trying to not exceed 1400-1500 cals a day,
Morning: (CUTS) + Vitamins
6:00 2 eggs w/yolk and 2 slices whole grain bread(100cals in the bread)

8:00-8:30 Small bowl of chicken (150 cals?)

11:30-12:30 (PUMP)Gym(Heavy Lifting, Low Reps)

12:40 (CUTS)Whey Protein Shake(120 cals, 25 g protein)

1:30 PWO Chicken Bowl (200 cals chicken, 1.5-2 cups of rice (300cals?)

4:00 Protein bar (200 cals)

7:00 Apple + Chicken bowl(200 cals)

9:00-10:00 Snack(Casein or fruit) (120-200 cals)

This actually totals up to around 1600, and I go to the gym 4 days a weak.

I weigh 172, I drink lots of water and green tea and work every day of the week, two jobs.

Litty-T
08-04-09, 9:20 pm
Well I'm trying to not exceed 1400-1500 cals a day,
Morning: (CUTS) + Vitamins
6:00 2 eggs w/yolk and 2 slices whole grain bread(100cals in the bread)

8:00-8:30 Small bowl of chicken (150 cals?)

11:30-12:30 (PUMP)Gym(Heavy Lifting, Low Reps)

12:40 (CUTS)Whey Protein Shake(120 cals, 25 g protein)

1:30 PWO Chicken Bowl (200 cals chicken, 1.5-2 cups of rice (300cals?)

4:00 Protein bar (200 cals)

7:00 Apple + Chicken bowl(200 cals)

9:00-10:00 Snack(Casein or fruit) (120-200 cals)

This actually totals up to around 1600, and I go to the gym 4 days a weak.

I weigh 172, I drink lots of water and green tea and work every day of the week, two jobs.

Do you drink, bro? That might have something to do with your gut. My buddy just quit drinkin and he wasn't fat at all, but had a gut. His gut said so long after just a month or two.

Fleadom4all
08-04-09, 10:32 pm
Negative, haven't had a drink in two months. Lol

LegendKillerJosh
08-05-09, 12:29 am
I don't get what your goal is. You are 5'9 and weigh around 170, and cutting? Why would you want to get under 170 at 5'9?

Fleadom4all
08-05-09, 12:59 am
I want to lose cause I still have a gut and skin that laps over on my belly an I want to get CUT, abs and everything. I would think of accomplishing this by losing more weight till my skin starts to tighten and my muscles start to show from underneath. I can feel them, you just can't see them, am I wrong?

LegendKillerJosh
08-05-09, 1:38 am
Maybe if you increase your muscle size then your skin will be tighter.

Fleadom4all
08-05-09, 1:38 pm
I dont know, Im starting to finally see my abs come through under my sternum, but I still have a belly. I need to maximize my ab and back workout, I hear that tightens the belly section. Plus I am doing practically NO cardio. I'm only doing dieting and bulk lifting.

OklahomaMuscle
08-05-09, 1:43 pm
Ok, while I have to agree that your bw is pretty low and bulking would be MY first priority. You've gotta do what you feel best for you, so you wanna get cut...why are you NOT doing Cardio?? You're taking cuts and eating super low calories but no cardio? Seems rather silly to me... Try early morning cardio pre-food or cardio after you lift. At least that's my suggestion.

Young1
08-05-09, 2:28 pm
A friend of mine new to the game dealt with a similar situation. As I told him, getting huge and cut at the same time is almost impossible for most people, unless you have been blessed with superior genetics, especially if you are new to the game. Having said this, you probably need to adjust your expectations accordingly. Take advantage of being new to lifting and concentrate on putting on quality lean mass. I will tell you this, 150 lb. and 5'9" will not get you the thick, cut physique you want. Don't worry about having a gut right now, that's what cardio and diet are for. This is a marathon brother, not a sprint. If you are determined to stay on your present course then cardio must enter your workout at some point, either early moring or post workout.

McFly
08-05-09, 2:53 pm
I know not everyone wants to be a freak...so here's my take on it, you've been eating clean and strict and not getting the results you want. I don't think you should be as hung up on the number the scale tells you....switch things up....we know cardio burns fat,how about do some cardio...and....try to put on a little muscle, you are training heavy and low reps....feed your body so it responds to that and let yourself put on a pound or two on muscle. i promise if you gained a pound or two of muscle you'd like what you were seeing. I'm not saying go on the Old Dirty McFly offseason diet LMAO but maybe bump up your pre and post workout nutrtion a little and see what it does for you.

DaveK
08-05-09, 3:39 pm
I know not everyone wants to be a freak...so here's my take on it, you've been eating clean and strict and not getting the results you want. I don't think you should be as hung up on the number the scale tells you....switch things up....we know cardio burns fat,how about do some cardio...and....try to put on a little muscle, you are training heavy and low reps....feed your body so it responds to that and let yourself put on a pound or two on muscle. i promise if you gained a pound or two of muscle you'd like what you were seeing. I'm not saying go on the Old Dirty McFly offseason diet LMAO but maybe bump up your pre and post workout nutrtion a little and see what it does for you.

Agreed! Incresase your calories and rotate your carbs. Throw some cardio in as well.

Fleadom4all
08-05-09, 4:48 pm
That sounds pretty good, and yes I AM looking to get ripped, Ive just been fat all my life and was hell bent on losing it. I'll bump up the pre and post like you said, I am off my Cuts cycle in one more week so I'll start adding the calories after that. And what is cycling my carbs? Guess I haven't done ALL my homework.

Wasteland
08-05-09, 4:57 pm
Well I am somewhat new, I have been lifting for over a year, started the gym recently and have been taking pump, and whey protein, and am on my last week of Cuts. I was stuck around 175 forever, but I bumped up my workout big time and started dieting harder, Im noticing more muscle but I still have a gut and big thighs. I got down to 166, and I'm now at 172. Have I plateau'd around 175? It says my ideal weight should be around 150+ for a guy 5'9". Any thoughts?

First, I'd probably stop thinking in terms of scale weight. It sounds like your goals aren't necessarily to get down to 150 pounds, but rather, based a perception of yourself and your physique at a certain weight. Have you been 150 pounds before where you thought you looked good and felt good about yourself? I bet you could weight 165 pounds, for example, carrying more lean mass and less bodyfat and you'd be happier with that, no?

Fleadom4all
08-05-09, 5:05 pm
Last time I was under 150 was before puberty, thats when I really packed on the fat. lol

Wasteland
08-05-09, 5:08 pm
Last time I was under 150 was before puberty, thats when I really packed on the fat. lol

When you were 150, do you remember what you looked like? Is that what you want to look like now? If you're here and you're lifting, I assume you want more?

Fleadom4all
08-05-09, 5:17 pm
Yes I do want more, I just wish I didnt have my gut, thats my major obsticle, But where I'm at if I could turn the fat I have into muscle I would be happy.

Fleadom4all
08-05-09, 5:20 pm
I get what your saying. I just have alot of loose skin and leftover fat that I am noticing become looser even though my scale weight stays the same, I assume thats cause at the same time I'm losing weight AND gaining muscle weight.

Wasteland
08-05-09, 5:29 pm
Yes I do want more, I just wish I didnt have my gut, thats my major obsticle, But where I'm at if I could turn the fat I have into muscle I would be happy.

My opinion? Forget the gut for now. If you lose it and get down to 150 at your height, would you be satisfied with your musculature? Or would you feel that you were too skinny? Throw out the scale and don't go by absolute weight. Eat healthier and cleaner and increase your caloric intake, gradually and incrementally. Implement basic strategies such as eating more frequently. Instead of two big meals a day, for example, aim for 5-7 meals. Lift hard. You will gain muscle. You will also gain additional fat. This is unavoidable. Ignore this. After all, you're looking to reach a longer term goal. The fat will come with the territory. When you've established a good base of muscle, tweak the diet, lowering the calories, and implement cardio. Where you were focused on building the base before, now you're aiming to trim the fat. In theory, you might end up at 170 pounds and looking better than you ever have before. You can't turn fat into muscle.

Fleadom4all
08-05-09, 6:02 pm
I hear ya, thank you. I'm gonna keep my high protein diet, continue eating the small meals and just bump up my calories, if I increase my calories and continue lifting the way I am maybe I will pack on more muscle, it may be slow right now cause I'm not eating enough and I am eating muscle for energy. Eat big, and show results. I like it.

Wasteland
08-06-09, 12:58 pm
I hear ya, thank you. I'm gonna keep my high protein diet, continue eating the small meals and just bump up my calories, if I increase my calories and continue lifting the way I am maybe I will pack on more muscle, it may be slow right now cause I'm not eating enough and I am eating muscle for energy. Eat big, and show results. I like it.

Remember, it didn't take a month to get to where you are today. It took many months. It will take many months to add quality muscle and it will take months to shed that excess body fat. In this game, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Change things up incrementally and gradually. If you take your time and do it right, you'll only have to do it once. Good luck.

McFly
08-06-09, 1:43 pm
Eat big, and show results. I like it.

now we're talking!!!!!

boondocker
08-06-09, 1:51 pm
scales suck , especially now with being somewhat new. i my line of work you treat the individual not the maching. best thing in the world for you right now is a mirror . you will see resulsts better in the mirror rather than in your numbers. i was in your shoes 7 years ago. 150lbs and 5'9. we all start to workout , eat right , and try to dot our "i's and cross out "t's". truth be is to bo what everyone else on here is telling you. eat and do plenty of it. your body will respond very quickly with the new intake and quality of food being eatten. once you bump up the calories then the weights in the gym go up easier, then with your new added muscle get on the treadmill a couple of mornings. after some time you will be sportin ' your six pack on spring break with all the hotties. so head up, stock up at sam's club and put the running shoes on ... mamma always said my runnin' shoes would take me anywhere. forrest. good luck. btw , i am now close to 200 lbs and lovin' it.

Keatron
08-11-09, 8:16 am
Well here it goes...Im sure the posts for people wanting to get bigger are forever asked. Here's the deal, Im comin to a plateau and its just killin me. Ive switched my workouts a few times but I cant seem to find a good mass building excerise. Im in the Army and Im overseas in Iraq right now. I eat a shit ton and work out like a fuckin beast but like i said im not seein results like I want. I have until january in the hell hole and when I get home I want to look fuckin built. Ive come a long way though as well. Before I left to come over here 8 months ago I weighed a buck 85. When I jumped on the scale two days ago Im now at deuces across the board. I havent done a lick of cardio since ive been here and the only cardio ive done is the shit we have to do for the army. Ive been doin everything in my power that I can to build as much as muscle as I can. The only downfall is the lack of sleep we get which is a huge damper i know. If anyone is willing to help id greatly appreciate it. My split goes a little something like this...

Day 1 Chest
Day 2 Legs
Off
Day 4 Back
Day 5 Delts
Day 6 Arms
Off

I do 5x5's on my bench, squat, and a 3x3 on my deads. I guess Im really lookin for a good mass building excerise. And I cant seem to get my inner pecs to grow either haha. holler at me and let me know. thanks

boondocker
08-11-09, 8:46 am
fill us in on the whole workout routine. exactly what do you do for chest , back ,.. ect. how tall did you say you were. how long have you been doing 5x5? you may need to work on more reps to get the endurance up in your bigger lifts then go back to the 5x5. you are right the lack of sleep may hold you back. just fill us in on the rest of your details.

BryanSmash!
08-11-09, 8:48 am
Post your detailed routine for a better analysis K. As for mass building exercises, you're already doing them. If you're looking for more mass, keep doing what you're doing, as gaining almost forty fucking pounds in such a short time is pretty damn good.
If your looking to lean out, check your diet and do some cardio on your off days. Start taking some Animal Cuts too.

Keatron
08-11-09, 9:39 am
Here goes...
Day 1 Chest
-BB FB 5x5 increase 5lbs each set alternate DBs every other week
-Incline DB/Decline DB everyother week 3x8
-Chest Flys 3x8
-cable crossover 3x8
Day 2 Legs
-Squats 5x5
-Step ups 3x20 (10 each leg)
-DB Lunges 3x20
-Calf raises with sled 3x20
*Legs im not to worried about with mass cause their big as it is
OFF
Day 4 Back
Power rack 5x1 increase 10 lbs every set
Deads 3x3
Power deads 5x3 30 seconds rest 50 % max
DB rows or seated cable rows every other week
lad pull downs/rear flys
Day 5 Arms
skull crusher 3x8
close grip decline 5x5
pull downs (rope)
BB curls 5x5
Incline curls 4x8-10
towel curls 3x8
Day 6 Delts
seated and/or standing military press/DB press 3x8-10
DB side raises 3x8
DB front raises 3x8
ITYW every other week

there it is

BryanSmash!
08-11-09, 10:19 am
Switch around your day1 and day2, drop the rack and speed deads, replace them with pulling from a deficit for 5 sets. Put the rear flyes on delt day, lose the front raises.
On leg day do either step ups, or lunges and add in a ham exercise.
On arm day do CGBP first, and drop one arm exercise each.
I'd advise adding some core work, grip work, and a forearm exercise.

Keatron
08-11-09, 1:13 pm
Thanks muddy. I know you workout solo but id like to get in the gym with ya some mornings just to see what ya have to say when were in there. I dont have a good workout partner to push me either

live2lift
08-11-09, 1:22 pm
The body can only handle a certain amount of stress before it hits a breaking point. The thing that you have to be aware of is when your body hits that point. For me personally it is usually after 5 solid weeks of training. What I do on that 6th week is the simplest thing you can do...take an entire week off from training. Believe me, during that week I want to train really bad, but I dont, and by weeks end I have so much desire to get back in the gym its crazy. This schedule has helped me to not come to plateau in a long time. I used to run into them all the time, so this is huge for me...and I constantly see progress. Once you know your body, just when you come to the point of overtraining or a plateau, you back off so that you dont get there. Its all about progression bro. Hope this helps bro.

Peace

BryanSmash!
08-11-09, 1:29 pm
Well, I'm usually there around 5.

Keatron
08-11-09, 1:44 pm
Cool thanks man. I actually took the last 5 days off and now im gunna hit we again tonight. Those were probably the shittiest 5 days ive had in a while not being able to go.

whosnexttt
08-11-09, 2:59 pm
Here goes...
Day 1 Chest
-BB FB 5x5 increase 5lbs each set alternate DBs every other week
-Incline DB/Decline DB everyother week 3x8
-Chest Flys 3x8
-cable crossover 3x8
Day 2 Legs
-Squats 5x5
-Step ups 3x20 (10 each leg)
-DB Lunges 3x20
-Calf raises with sled 3x20
*Legs im not to worried about with mass cause their big as it is
OFF
Day 4 Back
Power rack 5x1 increase 10 lbs every set
Deads 3x3
Power deads 5x3 30 seconds rest 50 % max
DB rows or seated cable rows every other week
lad pull downs/rear flys
Day 5 Arms
skull crusher 3x8
close grip decline 5x5
pull downs (rope)
BB curls 5x5
Incline curls 4x8-10
towel curls 3x8
Day 6 Delts
seated and/or standing military press/DB press 3x8-10
DB side raises 3x8
DB front raises 3x8
ITYW every other week

there it is

alright for chest take out the flys, for back take out all that rack and speed stuff, do basic back movements like, barbell rows,dumbbell rows,pullups,deadlifts,chin ups, pulldowns, and for delts do rear delt raises, you must train your rear delts to give it that round apperance

BryanSmash!
08-12-09, 6:22 am
Now would probably be a good time to start a journey here as well.

Dedicated
08-12-09, 12:04 pm
- You can do flies if you want. Don't let some people scare you away from them.
- On leg day throw in some straight leg deadlifts/GHRs/or even leg curls to get some hamstring work in. You don't want to get your quads massive from squats and do no direct work on the hamstrings. Try to keep everything in balance bro.
- As far as back goes, I'd drop the rinky dink speed stuff. Base your workout around wide grip pull ups, deadlifts, and barbell rows. Everything else is secondary to those 3. If you're physically able, I'd replace the close grip pulldowns with chins.
- Arm day looks good, but I'd probably start off with CGBP. Not that it really matters though.
- Drop the front raises.

Bro plateaus suck. There's no real way to avoid them. Just stick with it, it sounds like you know the basics.

sideburnz
08-12-09, 1:28 pm
there isn't any rear delt movement.. add those in..

MrMonday
08-12-09, 2:17 pm
I personally don't even believe in the concept of "plateaus".

I have never encountered a stopping point in my training that couldn't be solved with either more food, more rest, or more training, and I know that a lot of large guys are the same way.

Switching your routine a thousand times is probably the worst thing you can do.

MVP
08-12-09, 2:29 pm
I personally don't even believe in the concept of "plateaus".

I have never encountered a stopping point in my training that couldn't be solved with either more food, more rest, or more training, and I know that a lot of large guys are the same way.

Switching your routine a thousand times is probably the worst thing you can do.

I know you and I don't usually agree, but I couldn't have said this better myself. I couldn't agree more with this quote.

Keatron
08-12-09, 2:57 pm
Fantastic. Thanks for the good word fellas.

Zeeeee(B.S.T)
04-20-10, 1:00 am
hey guys, i've been training for about a year now pretty seriously and have seemed to have hit a plateau. I can't seem to get any stronger or put on any more mass, and it's really frustrating. I have no idea what to do guys and would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Brandon

Survivor831
04-20-10, 10:22 am
A couple of things.....

What does your current routine look like,
What does your diet look like,
Are you getting enough rest.... etc, etc,

Having more info will allow us to give you a better answer.

intoodeep25
04-20-10, 12:19 pm
the answer is simple. make some changes

Machine
07-08-10, 10:10 pm
There are no plateaus or sticking points, remember...when all else fails...its time for fresh tactics.

Look at challenges and obstacles as opportunities. It will be far more enjoyable for you, but you must stop thinking in such finite terms.

Its almost like when people throw the terms legal or illegal around...we all know that there are laws for everything you can think of on the books...but we still know people who carry guns, sell drugs, steal things, cheat on their taxes, and jaywalk from time to time...terms like legal and illegal dont apply. Its the same with bodybuilding, there is "works or doesn't work" at some point it all works and doesn't work.

The point here is that learning to live in the outer edges of what you want gets you closer to successful outcomes, it is far simpler to manage your short, mid-range, and long term goals from this perspective than it is to demand and expect finite results...dont paint yourself into a corner metaphysically.

MACHINE

Preservation
07-08-10, 10:58 pm
plateaus I think of them as myths...when I feel like I stoped growing I bump up the weight or add an extra rep always helped me grow...I find it that simple

dorramide7
10-13-10, 9:37 pm
What you decide to eat is less important than how much you eat at this point. If you're not gaining any weight, the main problem is simply that you're not eating enough. Want to get big? You have to eat big.

Big Wides --

Annunziata
11-14-10, 1:13 pm
Constant adjustments are needed for the strength training programs otherwise you may risk hitting plateaus. If you have just started strength training, plateaus will normally come within six months of training. During the first six months you will gain dramatic strength and they will remain the same. To continue making progress you will have to use following methods to break out of your plateaus:

1). By increasing training intensity.
2). By varying your exercises.
3). By changing the sequence of exercises.
4). By removing some exercises and adding others.

ronoroa.zoro8
12-13-10, 11:22 am
You can get more strength-training routine to remove a weight loss plateau. Lifting weights is a cost effective alternative to cut even more calories to your diet, or significantly increased their aerobic workouts. Strength training involves using weights, resistance band, or the weight and increase muscle strength and increase muscle mass. In addition to strength training be added directly to weight loss, it can also completely change the look and feel of your body, making you feel better, even managed to get scale.

karthik
01-21-11, 6:05 am

i must ask you what caused your back injury?

what you do outside the gym is far more important than what you do in the gym. with that said, when i ask such questions i leave no stones unturned because i learned from the old school, and the old school is the truth, and will benefit you tremendously, so here goes, bear with me.

Do you have a good job? are you financially stable? do you live in a decent house, apartment? how is your relationship status, do you have a steady girlfriend? family problems? demons from the past? dangerous neighborhood you live in or decent neighborhood? do you live a normal life or is it loaded with stress? can you stick to eating a good solid diet 2-3 hrs apart 6-7 times a day without any opposition from loved ones, etc.? based on how you answer these questions i can guide you accordingly,

here2learn
06-26-11, 7:11 am
I just wanted to say that i have so much respect for you guys making gains and reaching goals weight wise.

I have been stuck on my weight for 6 months now and really i dont think i have put in the time or calories and thats why this is happening.

But i do put in the work. Just not consistently and not like some of you guys out there.

Anyways big props from me guys i have been reading this forum for the past 3 years ever since i quit playing tennis competitively and its where i come for inspiration to train and info on everything!!
Though i dont write much i do read alot.

peace