PDA

View Full Version : skullcaps and the beanies and their purpose

DEADn
10-24-08, 3:25 pm
This may come off as a stupid or ignorant question so bare with. I do not wear any of these things and really never have but I know many guys do. I just wondered what practical purpose of them are. Is it to keep body heat in? Is it just for the look? I know a number of football players wear them but never understood the purpose of them.

Explain? I just wanted to know.

JUGGERNAUT
10-24-08, 4:13 pm
I shave my head almost bald, so in the winter they do a good job of keeping you body temp because that IS where you loose most your body heat. I don't wear them when it is warm out.

Cstlfx
10-24-08, 7:28 pm
Beanies help not only to keep the head warm, but can keep the ears warm as well. Skull caps basically help keep the head warm. Cause when everything else is covered, the head can feel really cold.

Other than that, some people work out with them in order to keep the sweat from dripping (like me). And yes, It can also be for style. So, combine that, and its all three at one time!!

When it comes to football players, all that sweat stays on your head when your helmet is on. When they take it off, the cold air hits all the sweat, making your head extremely cold. Brain freeze is not fun while playing football.

Thetasteofink69
10-24-08, 8:10 pm
They keep your ears warm.. And they look awesome

MassMonster
10-24-08, 8:17 pm
depends really i have 1 i use to cover my eyes bc its really big which heps me workout n not get psyched out by seeing the poundage im pulling or pushing... but other then that its just another type o hat lol

Hercules
10-25-08, 11:34 am
This may come off as a stupid or ignorant question so bare with. I do not wear any of these things and really never have but I know many guys do. I just wondered what practical purpose of them are. Is it to keep body heat in? Is it just for the look? I know a number of football players wear them but never understood the purpose of them.

depends really i have 1 i use to cover my eyes bc its really big which heps me workout n not get psyched out by seeing the poundage im pulling or pushing... but other then that its just another type o hat lol

Maybe we should all wear 'em at our next ABC Event in November. Hey, it might be cold - you never know... ;)

Feel The Power
10-25-08, 11:48 am
I wear a knit hat in the fall/winter time until I start to break a sweat.. then I usually switch over to a baseball cap, but sometimes I wind up wearing my knit hat the whole workout. Just depends how cold it is in the gym, I'm out in Iowa and sometimes the gym is barley 60's in the winter.

Cstlfx
10-25-08, 12:32 pm
Maybe we should all wear 'em at our next ABC Event in November. Hey, it might be cold - you never know... ;)

Haha, I think I'll pass out from heat exhaustion.

AFTazz06
10-25-08, 1:24 pm
i can see people wearing them for the cold weather, but i just never understood why people wear them indoors while working out? same with baseball caps. Just seems really weird to me, and very uncomfortable. I personally dont like anything on me thats not needed in the workout other than the clothes on my back. anybody else like that?

GJN5002
10-27-08, 3:55 pm
i can see people wearing them for the cold weather, but i just never understood why people wear them indoors while working out? same with baseball caps. Just seems really weird to me, and very uncomfortable. I personally dont like anything on me thats not needed in the workout other than the clothes on my back. anybody else like that?

I agree, when its cold I keep the sweatshirt/sweatpants on for my warm up and after that Im so hot that I need it off. Beanie would be overkill. Maybe if you shave your head, I could see wearing it to keep the sweat from running in your eyes and face. But i dont understand how people can wear hats.

Tiny
10-27-08, 5:21 pm

They do keep the bodyheat in and keep some of the sweat out of my eyes . . . and , yeah, in my case it is something I sometimes like to sport. I can just throw it on my head and fuck what my hair looks like (when I have hair grown out). Plus it's just another cool way for me to profile the Animal logo - some guys wear FUBU or G-Unit or whatever, me, I like the Animal gear, AND if it contributes to my appearing a tad rougher, fine with me, many times I prefer if people leave me the fuck alone. Kind of like the Animal shirt that says "I'm not here to talk."

BigDubbDiesel
11-12-08, 8:22 pm
i'll wear one when it gets colder to let everyone know i'm not waiting for you to finish your set of curls in the squat rack...it makes you look like a hardass, but yeah it does get a lil warm...haha

Carpe Diem P.T
11-12-08, 10:48 pm
i wear a beanie because i look like a weiner without one.

codeezzz
11-12-08, 11:09 pm
shaved head + beanie in winter = warmz

smith06
11-13-08, 9:51 am
Everyone is missing the obvious answer.

To keep sweat outta ur eyes. lol

Buh-Buh
11-13-08, 5:04 pm
Another benifit, it helps keep my headphones in during a set.

Latimer316
11-14-08, 11:52 am
Man i just like wearing a beanie or a hat. I collect them so I just look at it as just wearing something else. I hardly ever can keep the beanie on a whole workout without getting to hot. Sometimes I'll wear the hat and keep the bill low to avoid distractions

ironshaolin
11-14-08, 12:45 pm
Everyone needs a hat in the winter, my ears get cold.

roithamer
11-14-08, 12:55 pm
Practical purpose - keeping the head warm outside when it's cold. Don't know why someone in Arizona or any of those fuckin hot states would wear one.

Essential purpose - image is everything to some

Wearing it while you work out - look there is no freakin camera on you, so take it off and pick up that bar and move some metal!

Tiny
11-14-08, 1:55 pm
Practical purpose - keeping the head warm outside when it's cold. Don't know why someone in Arizona or any of those fuckin hot states would wear one.

Wearing it while you work out - look there is no freakin camera on you, so take it off and pick up that bar and move some metal!

All eyes are on me, bro, believe that, and should the day arrive where you've moved half the weight I have moved so far, then you too wil be one bad mother fucker - for now, it's back to sporting my Animal skully AND if they ever come out with a Dr. fucking Seuss hat that has the Animal logo on it, then I'll wear that to the gym as well. Peace!

brandonA
11-14-08, 3:14 pm

I wear one in Arizona for two reasons...Just because it is hot during the day, don't mean it is hot at night...A 30-40 degree swing in temp is the norm from night and day..fuck it was in the low 40's this morning on my way to work.

The second reason I wear one in Arizona is BECAUSE it's so fucking hot. Slap one on and keep the sweat out of my face..I hate sweat in my face. I wear glasses so it is a fucking pain in the ass to keep taking them off to wipe the sweat off, then you shirt is wet and now you are just smearing the shit all over the lens....fuckin mess...

Essential purpose, keep my braincase warm and sweat out of my eyes...Image means dick to me...

-B

IRBS
11-14-08, 3:37 pm

Ever been in a cold gym in the winter? I usually have a beanie/skullie on while I lift in the colder months...I could care less what anyone thinks about how I look...

prowrestler
11-14-08, 3:58 pm
i dont wear one cause i look like a douche bag with a hat or any head gear on.

im a cold loving canadian with a heated gym so im fine all the time without the hat.

some people it suits, some it doesnt.

some need it, some dont.

IronAnejo
11-15-08, 11:18 am
I also wear glasses, and it is a royal pain in the ass to take them off every three seconds to wipe the sweat out of your face- so beanie it is.

People at the gym started calling me "The Rabbi" because I have a beard and was wearing an underarmor skullcap. That was pretty funny. I'm not even Jewish.

Tiny
11-15-08, 11:54 am
I wear one in Arizona for two reasons...Just because it is hot during the day, don't mean it is hot at night...A 30-40 degree swing in temp is the norm from night and day..fuck it was in the low 40's this morning on my way to work.

The second reason I wear one in Arizona is BECAUSE it's so fucking hot. Slap one on and keep the sweat out of my face..I hate sweat in my face. I wear glasses so it is a fucking pain in the ass to keep taking them off to wipe the sweat off, then you shirt is wet and now you are just smearing the shit all over the lens....fuckin mess...

Essential purpose, keep my braincase warm and sweat out of my eyes...Image means dick to me...

-B

Oh yeah! Brandona layin' the animal smack down and tellin it like it is.

curt_james
11-16-08, 11:13 am

If I was built like a monster then I'd wear whatever I wanted to, but since I'm built like a stick (6'1" and 195) there are no Y-back tops or spandex whatever. Give me a t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts and call it done. If I'm feelin bold I'll wear an Under Armor shirt.

Wearing a beanie inside for an average joe would be like walking around with one of the "A" stickers from the Pak lids pasted to your forehead or holding a sign that screams "I AM HARDKOR!!!" Not working for me.

But again, if you're looking like a bodybuilder then you got some leeway on what looks dumb.

I liked the explanation about the football players - hadn't thought of the sweat under the helmet and then the danger of brain freeze without the beanie, skullie, knit cap, whatever. :D Excellent info.

Tiny
11-16-08, 11:50 am
If I was built like a monster then I'd wear whatever I wanted to, but since I'm built like a stick (6'1" and 195) there are no Y-back tops or spandex whatever. Give me a t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts and call it done. If I'm feelin bold I'll wear an Under Armor shirt.

Wearing a beanie inside for an average joe would be like walking around with one of the "A" stickers from the Pak lids pasted to your forehead or holding a sign that screams "I AM HARDKOR!!!" Not working for me.

But again, if you're looking like a bodybuilder then you got some leeway on what looks dumb.

I liked the explanation about the football players - hadn't thought of the sweat under the helmet and then the danger of brain freeze without the beanie, skullie, knit cap, whatever. :D Excellent info.

Hmmmm, mental note to self: paste an Animal "A" logo sticker onto forehead and walk around the Arnold - sweeet.

DEADn
11-16-08, 3:26 pm
I had the opportunity to put one of those beanies on from Hercules when we did the Orlando meet. I had it only only a few minutes. It started to annoy me because it was pretty tight. I think if I would have kept it on I proabably would have gotten a headache or later one over heated.. It is definately made for a more cooler climate and if it wasn't so tight it would be better.

callme47
11-18-08, 11:26 am
shaved head + beanie in winter = warmz

Very true.

Maniak Mack
11-18-08, 11:32 am
I wear them for two reasons.

1. I'm from Cali. So anything below 65 i'm freezing. And out here in NC, the winters get pretty harsh.

2. My ears are shaped funny and I always seem to drop my buds when I lift. The cap helps keep them in place.

Aggression
11-18-08, 11:58 am
I'll be honest, I used to rock my animal beanie years ago in the gym for no other purpose than to look cool. I wanted to look cool at the expense of sweating my damn balls off. I sweat bad with just shorts and a t-shirt, never mind wearing a beanie. I've since left the beanie for outside purposes only.

Now I can't wait for the fall/winter months to come so I can rock my beanie once again. Too me, nothings better than a hoodie, a beanie and a worn-in pair of jeans to wear while you're out doing your thing.

Cstlfx
11-18-08, 11:54 pm
AND if it contributes to my appearing a tad rougher, fine with me, many times I prefer if people leave me the fuck alone. Kind of like the Animal shirt that says "I'm not here to talk."

Yes, this is a definite. I got the opportunity to meet you at a Delaware ABC, I was nervous as hell.

Imagine a guy around 300 pounds, beanie, cut off zip up hoodie, tats up the arms, lurking in the back of the gym, doing deadlifts with 8 plates like it was nothing. The beanie just touches everything up. When Tiny puts a beanie on it creates the Uber Badass look.

CMurray
11-19-08, 10:38 am
Yea, i wear them when it's cold outside, but i only wear them outside.

Rida4life
11-19-08, 8:07 pm
I wear my beanies in the gym so the sweat wont roll down my ball head and drip into my eyes.

I think thats the worst thing that can happen while in the middle of a curl..

NPRamirez
11-19-08, 8:14 pm
Yes, this is a definite. I got the opportunity to meet you at a Delaware ABC, I was nervous as hell.

Imagine a guy around 300 pounds, beanie, cut off zip up hoodie, tats up the arms, lurking in the back of the gym, doing deadlifts with 8 plates like it was nothing. The beanie just touches everything up. When Tiny puts a beanie on it creates the Uber Badass look.

Lol.