PDA

View Full Version : Ox's Stable

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Universal Rep
04-23-12, 9:10 am
Hey Ox, how wuz ur trip to FIBO Power?

Ox
04-23-12, 9:11 am
Hey Evan, whats up man? I know you're probably busy as hell, just wanted to see how you're doing and stuff. You're the man!

Hey man everything is going really well. The family is good, we have a home, I get paid to do something I am passionate about...what more could I ask for? I'm on the plane right now coming back from FIBO and can't wait to get back to my regular diet and training. How are things with you?

Solid Dreams
04-23-12, 9:15 am
Hey man everything is going really well. The family is good, we have a home, I get paid to do something I am passionate about...what more could I ask for? I'm on the plane right now coming back from FIBO and can't wait to get back to my regular diet and training. How are things with you?

You're living the dream, man. You inspire us all, seriously! I'm getting to where I want to be, trying a form of backloading bulking just for shits and giggles because it seems like it works (no carbs until pwo, then slam quick digesting stuff) and slowly retraining myself to do things right. Been watchin a lot of your videos for figuring out how to do things the correct way instead of just slinging weights, because I'm tired of not seeing the results I want. It's one thing when you're Branch Warren and going at it with the drive and intensity that he has, and then a regular person who is doing the best they can without the base he has, if you get what I mean.

Really hope I can get to somewhere you'll be, trying to get to the Olympia but who knows if it'll happen. One of my goals for the year is just to get to a place you'll be at so I can actually talk to you.

Ox
04-23-12, 9:18 am
Hey Ox, how wuz ur trip to FIBO Power?

Wunderbar. Mantoine is a nut...I had fun haging out with him, Diesel, NattyGuy and the Hoff. The booth was insanely busy and all the German people were welcoming and patient enough to deal with the fact that we sprechen no Deutsche. And considering the fact that at this moment I'm the only person on the whole plane with nobody sitting in the seat next to him (there was a lady in the seat next to me who made it here mission to find the one open seat on the plane and sit there instead of next to me) things are looking even brighter.

Universal Rep
04-23-12, 9:20 am
Wunderbar. Mantoine is a nut...I had fun haging out with him, Diesel, NattyGuy and the Hoff. The booth was insanely busy and all the German people were welcoming and patient enough to deal with the fact that we sprechen no Deutsche. And considering the fact that at this moment I'm the only person on the whole plane with nobody sitting in the seat next to him (there was a lady in the seat next to me who made it here mission to find the one open seat on the plane and sit there instead of next to me) things are looking even brighter.

Mantoine??? Hahaha.... Nice. We'll try to get that new nickname to stick...

Ox
04-23-12, 9:22 am
You're living the dream, man. You inspire us all, seriously! I'm getting to where I want to be, trying a form of backloading bulking just for shits and giggles because it seems like it works (no carbs until pwo, then slam quick digesting stuff) and slowly retraining myself to do things right. Been watchin a lot of your videos for figuring out how to do things the correct way instead of just slinging weights, because I'm tired of not seeing the results I want. It's one thing when you're Branch Warren and going at it with the drive and intensity that he has, and then a regular person who is doing the best they can without the base he has, if you get what I mean.

Really hope I can get to somewhere you'll be, trying to get to the Olympia but who knows if it'll happen. One of my goals for the year is just to get to a place you'll be at so I can actually talk to you.

Hey man it sounds like you've got as plan and are on track. Hopefully, you'll make it somewhere Animal will be and we'll have a chance to meet. In the meantime, all the best.

Solid Dreams
04-23-12, 9:22 am

ahaha, what, did she give you the look of "Oh, HELL no, you're too damn big..."? I feel like Universal has the best athletes out there, from everything I've seen we've (see, I'm putting myself with you guys :p ) got the only guys who joke around and laugh. Everyone seems to be extremely serious, even Kai with his crazy routines, when you look at him he's always srs bsns man.

Ox
04-23-12, 9:23 am
Mantoine??? Hahaha.... Nice. We'll try to get that new nickname to stick...

Hahahahahaha...I like it too...it fits him

Ox
04-23-12, 9:26 am
ahaha, what, did she give you the look of "Oh, HELL no, you're too damn big..."? I feel like Universal has the best athletes out there, from everything I've seen we've (see, I'm putting myself with you guys :p ) got the only guys who joke around and laugh. Everyone seems to be extremely serious, even Kai with his crazy routines, when you look at him he's always srs bsns man.

I overheard her telling like half the plane that she is stuck sitting next to a bodybuilder and how she was trying to move her seat. She told me she was feeling claustrophobic...I felt bad...I tried to keep within the space of my own seat. Oh well. If I was overweight would she have said anything? Well I guess it worked out because she got away from me and I have plenty of room now! Win win.

Universal Rep
04-23-12, 9:27 am
Hahahahahaha...I like it too...it fits him

The bodybuilder... Antoine... The man... Mantoine.

Haha.

Tiger
04-23-12, 11:39 am
I overheard her telling like half the plane that she is stuck sitting next to a bodybuilder and how she was trying to move her seat. She told me she was feeling claustrophobic...I felt bad...I tried to keep within the space of my own seat. Oh well. If I was overweight would she have said anything? Well I guess it worked out because she got away from me and I have plenty of room now! Win win.

I've got a flight to Aus in a few weeks - 40 hours travelling - and I didn't think about space issues until I read this... Although I'm nowhere near as big as you, so it shouldn't be too bad! Haha.

I think you missed my earlier post, but don't worry about it - my confidence was rocked for a little bit when I sent it in, but I've got it back now and I know I'm on the path to where I want to be.

What you got planned next, Ox?

kcburrows
04-23-12, 11:45 am
Hey Ox,
hope things are going great...had a random question that the plane story made me think of. Do you find that being as big as you are limits you from playing other pickup games, bball, softball whatever it may be? Or are you still able to move around with relative ease doing the things you want to do?

Kowboy
04-24-12, 9:58 am
I am not anywhere close to as big as you are but being tall makes any plane travel miserable. I haven't had anyone ask to move yet but I can tell you that I always get a guy my size or bigger in the seat next to me. Makes for a fun ride....I am hitting OKC Sunday so lets hope I have some room lol.

Carrnage
04-24-12, 4:48 pm
Hey Evan are you doing the Olympia?

Oh and remember a long time ago I told you to do a slight decline bench in your chest workouts, have you tried it yet? haha Im serious man, that angle puts the pecs in a much better position than a flat bench would, I want you to come in 295 pounds ripped after your next offseason! You have the potential of being a size monster like Ronnie Coleman!

mass3011
04-25-12, 4:28 am
I would definitely opt for a whey isolate and I'd have it prior to training. Universal's Ultra Iso Whey is a very high quality product. I know that the dairy/protein quality that is used in the product comes from a very reputable American-made source. That counts for a lot when a lot of companies are using protein from China. House, G Diesel and myself will definitely be at BodyPower this year. See you there buddy.

Cheers bro! See ya soon!

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
05-07-12, 3:28 am
Hey Evan. Good running into you at the Pitt show. Wasn't expecting to see you there. Wish I couldve caught up with you, but my buddy was competing and I was in a rush. You are def packing on some good size. Can't wait to see what you bring to the stage next go around! I'm finally goin to take the plunge and hit the stage in the fall.

kcburrows
05-07-12, 7:55 am
Hey Evan. Good running into you at the Pitt show. Wasn't expecting to see you there. Wish I couldve caught up with you, but my buddy was competing and I was in a rush. You are def packing on some good size. Can't wait to see what you bring to the stage next go around! I'm finally goin to take the plunge and hit the stage in the fall.

Do my eyes decieve me...THE Chase Browning hitting the stage in the fall??? lol what show you lookin at bro?

Ox
05-08-12, 9:32 am
I've got a flight to Aus in a few weeks - 40 hours travelling - and I didn't think about space issues until I read this... Although I'm nowhere near as big as you, so it shouldn't be too bad! Haha.

I think you missed my earlier post, but don't worry about it - my confidence was rocked for a little bit when I sent it in, but I've got it back now and I know I'm on the path to where I want to be.

What you got planned next, Ox?

Fuuuuuu....better you than me! Next up, the Olympia. Right now, I just began a gaining phase where over the course of the next 10 or so weeks I will put on some size before I begin 10 weeks of dieting for the show. Between now and the Olympia, we've got Bodypower coming up next weekend in Birmingham, England. Apologies for missing your post.

Ox
05-08-12, 9:39 am
Hey Evan,

I am SLOGGING through all these pages! Currently up to page 121, and I'm so sick of all the same keto questions coming up! Haha.

Anyways, I was wondering if you could critique the below. Let me know if there's any improvements I could make - I appreciate you get a lot of this (a few thousand posts in this thread alone), but you're damn inspirational!

I just cut down to 180lbs before Christmas, and since then I've been bulking. Currently up to 195lbs, and I don't think I'm putting on too much extra fat, but I'm not as lean as I would want to be (not many are, eh?). If I were to make a guess, I'd say I'm about 16% bf, but I could either be over-shooting there or selling myself short... Doesn't tell you much, and I'm maybe rambling here...

Same story as a lot of people have said - I was a fat kid, but then I lost weight the wrong way (eating disorder) and had a poor composition. Decided to join a gym, and then I fell in love with the iron.

I'm currently eating 8 meals a day as below:

5:30 - Eggs and Spinach
6:45 - Gym (Nitro after with simple carb drink)
8:30 - 2 scoops Whey + Oats
10:00 - Chicken, Sweet Potato OR Brown Rice, Broccoli/Green Beans
12:00 - Fruit smoothie w/ Whey OR 1/2 serving Real Gains
14:00 - Same as 10:00
16:00 - Salmon and Broccoli/Green Beans
18:30 - Steak or Lamb and Spinach
20:30 - Eggs

I train 5 days a week, usually taking a rest day on Sat and mid-week. I'm really working on that connection between my mind and my muscles - SQUEEZING - slow, controlled negatives - feeling the exercise where I want to feel it - isolating. Contract and stretch. As a consequence, I'm not lifting quite as heavy as I was, but the weight is slowly creeping back up to where it was...

I want to put on as much muscle as possible. I was considering starting cutting again soon and getting my bf down to a really low number so I can bulk hard, but I don't think that's going to benefit me. I'm thinking short-term (summer), when I need to be thinking of the years ahead. I think I should keep bulking up to a good size.

I've been training for 2 years now. I'd say I've been taking this serious for almost a year now. I've got a fantastic support system - my mum helps me make my food, I've got friends who support me and are amazed at the changes I've made to not only my body, but my lifestyle (I used to go out drinking A LOT - Scottish drinking culture can get a hold of you).

I'm now 24 - man, I wish I started this when I was younger... But sometimes it takes you a little longer to find the thing you're meant to do - but you find it in the end!

If you've got any advice you can give me then I'm an eager student (and I can get a bit over-enthusiastic, but DAMN, I love bodybuilding!).

Keep up the amazing work BTW. Lead by example!

The diet looks solid. Rather than dieting down and then bulking hard, I would recommend changing your training slightly. I can appreciate the importance of mind muscle connection and the value of isolation movements. But if your goal is to grow, heavy compound movements (still done with good form of course) should be the backbone of your training. Big movements done with heavy weight will not only help you grow but they will BURN A LOT OF CALORIES! Still include the isolation movements and do them with strict form and lighten the weight if necessary.But on the big movements (squats, deads, bench, military press, barbell row etc etc) you will be better served going heavy and intense. Doing so could help you grow and tighten up at the same time.

Ox
05-08-12, 9:44 am
Hey Ox,
hope things are going great...had a random question that the plane story made me think of. Do you find that being as big as you are limits you from playing other pickup games, bball, softball whatever it may be? Or are you still able to move around with relative ease doing the things you want to do?

I was never into sports so that hasn't changed any! But yeah, I do move about with a little more caution now than when I was under 200 lbs. I used to run 6 miles a day in high school...can't do that anymore! But I will say that even at 280 lbs, I don't really feel uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong 260 is a weight where I feel pretty light, agile, and I breathe and sleep better. But even at 280, I don't feel the way I hear some guys say they feel. Around 290-300 lbs is where I begin to feel lousy. The only thing that is a pain in the ass is shopping for clothes and plane rides!

Ox
05-08-12, 9:45 am
I am not anywhere close to as big as you are but being tall makes any plane travel miserable. I haven't had anyone ask to move yet but I can tell you that I always get a guy my size or bigger in the seat next to me. Makes for a fun ride....I am hitting OKC Sunday so lets hope I have some room lol.

ALWAYS! It never ceases to amaze me that the two biggest guys on the plane always end up next to each other...I swear it's punishment. How was the flight?

Ox
05-08-12, 9:46 am
Hey Evan are you doing the Olympia?

Oh and remember a long time ago I told you to do a slight decline bench in your chest workouts, have you tried it yet? haha Im serious man, that angle puts the pecs in a much better position than a flat bench would, I want you to come in 295 pounds ripped after your next offseason! You have the potential of being a size monster like Ronnie Coleman!

Tickets were purchased the day they went on sale. I'll be there.

Still haven't tried the declines.

Ox
05-08-12, 9:49 am

Hey man no worries. Thanks...I haven't been trying to gain...juust been maintaining since the Arnold...so I guess something is going right! Thanks. What's the name of the show you're gonna do?

spartan300
05-08-12, 10:39 am
Barring any unforeseen incidents or accidents, You will one day rule the Olympia dias. Go with your strengths E. You have the proportions of a Greek god. More is not always the answer. Chisel and carve your way there my friend. A gift has been bestowed upon you, use it wisely. Seriously examine the path your on, I know you can't argue with the success you've had but now the difficult task begins!

Carrnage
05-12-12, 6:29 pm
Tickets were purchased the day they went on sale. I'll be there.

Still haven't tried the declines.

I heard you were doing the O, unless mista centopani is trollin' me lol.

Try the declines, it will move you up 1 place higher than your last show. hehe

Solid Dreams
05-17-12, 8:06 pm
Hey Evan, I was wondering if you ever gave any thought to maybe talking to Hany? I read your guru article, but I think with all the success he's had (with reviving Jay's career, building a monster out of Kuclo, and of course Phil), that maybe he could give you an extra push.

I have no doubt in my mind that you can go toe to toe with Heath, and I understand the idea of wanting to do it yourself without having to have someone tell you every step of the way what to do, especially if they haven't been there.

But Hany seems like he's really, really good at turning out freaky physiques, and I think with your natural ability and his training you'd roll out and knock everyone down, you know?

ChalkyPalms
05-18-12, 11:01 pm
Evan, man first off you are my idol. Seriously my hero. I dont just admire the fact that your an incredible bodybuilder. I read and follow all your articles and videos. I can't help it. I'm glued. I really relate to your methods, style, and intensity. Damn bro! I've gotta make it to an event sometime to meet you. Seriously. But enough of the mushy stuff

Man, I dont have many questions right now. Obviously no 1 method, diet or training style is the answer. I'm very open to all and learning alot. I have my own style of diet and training and to date, I'm very satisfied with it. I'm always growing, learning and incorporating new things I like. I guess what I'm getting at is just posting up a little resume to date because ultimately I wanna step on stage with you one day haha. I truly believe I have that capability and I know what it takes.

I've been lifting and slowly growing for years (I'm 23) but not until more recently when I found a diet I loved did I REALLY start growing and funny enough, I grew like crazy through my prep into my first show I had last weekend. I originally committed to whats called "muscle model" with the WBFF because I wasnt where I personally wanted to be weight wise for bodybuilding. Bodybuilding has always been my dream/passion but I didnt wanna compete under heavies. I didnt consider myself a bodybuilder until that point (Just a thing of mine) So I started my 16 week prep to compete as a Muscle model. I Started a soft 11-12% 207lbs and then stepped on stage at 210+ ~4% BF. Honestly my prep completely through me off and I dont think gaining that amount of weight during prep is normal but my prep was actually the changing point in all my dieting. Actually the first real consistent diet ive ever done. I'll never stop now. But anyway, for the first 5-6 weeks all i did was cut down and fast. I was probably around 197 6% by 10 weeks out or so. After that, my coach changed my refeed day (carb up) a bit and Boom! started growing and didnt stop (I still dont think I've stopped and I'm 8 weeks out from my next show). I just wanted to share haha! I've got an extremely unorthodox dieting method my coach uses. Maybe not so unorthodox to you. Youve probably seen similar or a ton of different methods but for us, local. It's very different, but whats sweet is its not miserable and not harsh.

I'm 8 weeks out from the Missouri State Championships and I'm already planning on growing into it. I'll have it easy still being so lean from my last show. We're gonna finish pulling the remainder of fat from glutes and keep growing from less cardio and increased refeeds. Based off last prep, I should be able to come in 215-220. Hoping! But I bust my ass like no other. It can and will be done. Man I cannot wait. This life is really exciting haha! I live to kill myself in the gym and GROW! ... and love in between lol...

So yeah, I just wanted to share my more recent story. Thats just 2012 really. I could only hope to meet you someday and the sooner the better. I keep following and rooting for you man. I've got my Journey on here and posting up pics from the show last saturday and updates. I'll track my progress into my next show and then its seriously time to grow... and not on a prep diet =D

Keep killing it and doing what you do man. True inspiration.

ChalkyPalms
05-18-12, 11:10 pm
OH YEAH! and I didn't place last weekend as a muscle model because the judges said I was too big for that category. =D hah! There was a pretty obvious difference between me and the rest of them. Felt good to hear that from the judges though. They told me to bodybuild. My official cue!

brick13
05-19-12, 8:59 pm
What's up Ox. I gotta say...I don't know why I just realized it as I've read your "Thoughts on Fatherhood" numerous times, especially when my wife was pregnant with our son but I can't believe I didn't realize that your daughter's name is Alana as that is my wife's name, spelling and all. It's crazy because that's not a common name but I definitely think it's a beautiful name bro. It's also funny because when choosing a name for our son, it was between Brandon and Evan. Although we went with Brandon, when you think about it, it's a small world man. Keep doing your thing boss. Have a feeling we're gonna see big things from you on that Olympia stage brother.

-Brick

mass3011
05-20-12, 3:51 am
Great to meet you brother!

Mass

Ox
05-26-12, 5:39 pm
Barring any unforeseen incidents or accidents, You will one day rule the Olympia dias. Go with your strengths E. You have the proportions of a Greek god. More is not always the answer. Chisel and carve your way there my friend. A gift has been bestowed upon you, use it wisely. Seriously examine the path your on, I know you can't argue with the success you've had but now the difficult task begins!

Thanks homie. I appreciate that.

Ox
05-27-12, 9:25 am
I heard you were doing the O, unless mista centopani is trollin' me lol.

Try the declines, it will move you up 1 place higher than your last show. hehe

It's true. I'm doing the O. Awesome. I will do declines to take 2nd at the Olympia.

Ox
05-27-12, 9:27 am
Hey Evan, I was wondering if you ever gave any thought to maybe talking to Hany? I read your guru article, but I think with all the success he's had (with reviving Jay's career, building a monster out of Kuclo, and of course Phil), that maybe he could give you an extra push.

I have no doubt in my mind that you can go toe to toe with Heath, and I understand the idea of wanting to do it yourself without having to have someone tell you every step of the way what to do, especially if they haven't been there.

But Hany seems like he's really, really good at turning out freaky physiques, and I think with your natural ability and his training you'd roll out and knock everyone down, you know?

Hany has had a lot of success with his clients and I'm sure he knows his stuff but I'm good for now. Thanks.

Ox
05-27-12, 9:31 am
Evan, man first off you are my idol. Seriously my hero. I dont just admire the fact that your an incredible bodybuilder. I read and follow all your articles and videos. I can't help it. I'm glued. I really relate to your methods, style, and intensity. Damn bro! I've gotta make it to an event sometime to meet you. Seriously. But enough of the mushy stuff

Man, I dont have many questions right now. Obviously no 1 method, diet or training style is the answer. I'm very open to all and learning alot. I have my own style of diet and training and to date, I'm very satisfied with it. I'm always growing, learning and incorporating new things I like. I guess what I'm getting at is just posting up a little resume to date because ultimately I wanna step on stage with you one day haha. I truly believe I have that capability and I know what it takes.

I've been lifting and slowly growing for years (I'm 23) but not until more recently when I found a diet I loved did I REALLY start growing and funny enough, I grew like crazy through my prep into my first show I had last weekend. I originally committed to whats called "muscle model" with the WBFF because I wasnt where I personally wanted to be weight wise for bodybuilding. Bodybuilding has always been my dream/passion but I didnt wanna compete under heavies. I didnt consider myself a bodybuilder until that point (Just a thing of mine) So I started my 16 week prep to compete as a Muscle model. I Started a soft 11-12% 207lbs and then stepped on stage at 210+ ~4% BF. Honestly my prep completely through me off and I dont think gaining that amount of weight during prep is normal but my prep was actually the changing point in all my dieting. Actually the first real consistent diet ive ever done. I'll never stop now. But anyway, for the first 5-6 weeks all i did was cut down and fast. I was probably around 197 6% by 10 weeks out or so. After that, my coach changed my refeed day (carb up) a bit and Boom! started growing and didnt stop (I still dont think I've stopped and I'm 8 weeks out from my next show). I just wanted to share haha! I've got an extremely unorthodox dieting method my coach uses. Maybe not so unorthodox to you. Youve probably seen similar or a ton of different methods but for us, local. It's very different, but whats sweet is its not miserable and not harsh.

I'm 8 weeks out from the Missouri State Championships and I'm already planning on growing into it. I'll have it easy still being so lean from my last show. We're gonna finish pulling the remainder of fat from glutes and keep growing from less cardio and increased refeeds. Based off last prep, I should be able to come in 215-220. Hoping! But I bust my ass like no other. It can and will be done. Man I cannot wait. This life is really exciting haha! I live to kill myself in the gym and GROW! ... and love in between lol...

So yeah, I just wanted to share my more recent story. Thats just 2012 really. I could only hope to meet you someday and the sooner the better. I keep following and rooting for you man. I've got my Journey on here and posting up pics from the show last saturday and updates. I'll track my progress into my next show and then its seriously time to grow... and not on a prep diet =D

Keep killing it and doing what you do man. True inspiration.

Wow man that's fantastic. Sounds like you're really coming into your own and are on your way! Diet is so key and what you're saying is proof of that! Congrats on the progress and if you have a minute, post some pics...would love to see em. Keep on!

Ox
05-27-12, 9:42 am
What's up Ox. I gotta say...I don't know why I just realized it as I've read your "Thoughts on Fatherhood" numerous times, especially when my wife was pregnant with our son but I can't believe I didn't realize that your daughter's name is Alana as that is my wife's name, spelling and all. It's crazy because that's not a common name but I definitely think it's a beautiful name bro. It's also funny because when choosing a name for our son, it was between Brandon and Evan. Although we went with Brandon, when you think about it, it's a small world man. Keep doing your thing boss. Have a feeling we're gonna see big things from you on that Olympia stage brother.

-Brick

Ha! What a coincidence! Definitely a small world man. Thanks brother...hopefully I won't dissapoint on the O stage!

Ox
05-27-12, 9:43 am
Great to meet you brother!

Mass

You too man! England is the shit.

Solid Dreams
05-27-12, 12:27 pm
Hany has had a lot of success with his clients and I'm sure he knows his stuff but I'm good for now. Thanks.

You know what you need man, just wanting the best for you. Kill it at the O! I'm hoping I'll be there, finally get to meet you.

ChalkyPalms
05-27-12, 5:02 pm
Wow man that's fantastic. Sounds like you're really coming into your own and are on your way! Diet is so key and what you're saying is proof of that! Congrats on the progress and if you have a minute, post some pics...would love to see em. Keep on!

Here ya go boss! Keep in mind this is muscle model lol... Thats the reason for the shorts. I'll be bodybuilding in 7 weeks though.

http://i48.tinypic.com/em63l.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ljokm8.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/33orxwz.jpg

I actually have no real accurate measure of BF for these... Just a guess from a few people

... and I reread my orginal post. What I DIDN'T want to do is come in light heavies. I wanted to compete as a heavy before I'd bodybuild. I'm 5'11" and this is 210+?

Sugar&Cyanide
05-29-12, 4:54 pm
Hey man,
I got to finally meet you at body power, it was fucking sweet. I had a convo with natural guy while you were away eating but wanted to get your thoughts on something.

I have developed adrenal overload from kicking the ass outta per workouts while dieting, I know stimulants aren't your favourite (and no longer mine) but thought you may have some info on the matter? When I work out I can no longer get a pump and it's fucking miserable training with out that little reward! I assume you have never had this but maybe you have known a few people with it? Will I ever get my pump back?

Cheers buddy, your the shit!

Sprint
05-29-12, 6:55 pm
Awesome seeing you again at BodyPower & the ABC bro, my man Jimmy was pumped to finally meet you.

ironfreak1988
05-30-12, 8:01 pm
Oh hell yea, I believe we will be seeing some Road to the 2012 Olympia videos then won't we?! Haha! Just wanted to say that I am so stoked to hear that you are competing in the Olympia bro. I came to the Olympia last year for the first time and I was out of control when I saw you and Wrath on the line-up... Then I saw the announcement online that you were not competing... Taking care of your family, my man! Anyways, I have already been waiting awhile for this! You will kill the stage Ox! I don't know that I can make the Olypmia this year, but you can rest assured I will be cheering you on watching it live! Also, just wanted you to know that I really appreciate the time you take to write the articles and do the videos, talk about breeding serious motivation! I am competing in my first show this Septemer and that motivation keeps me scratching for more! Thanks bro!

CARNIVOR
06-02-12, 3:07 am
Ox, I've. Been away from the forvm for a while so if someone has asked this already I apologize. In the June issue of MD Charles Glass said that you had the most complete physique and he would have awarded 1st at the Arnold to you. How does that make you feel? What a great complement.

Carrnage
06-04-12, 5:05 pm
It's true. I'm doing the O. Awesome. I will do declines to take 2nd at the Olympia.

:)

Chase "BIG COUNTRY" Browning
06-12-12, 8:20 pm
Hey man no worries. Thanks...I haven't been trying to gain...juust been maintaining since the Arnold...so I guess something is going right! Thanks. What's the name of the show you're gonna do?

Hey sorry for taking so long to get back. Life is hectic enough with work/school/training lol then I threw moving into the mix. Almost all settled in now. I have my sights set on the Mid-Atlantic Grand Prix/WV State in November. I'm a little over 20 weeks out. I'm young and its my first show, so I def wont be the biggest guy.... My goal is to try to kill them with conditioning. Any advice?

Phil420
06-14-12, 8:38 am
Hey Evan,
because of my body size I have very long muscles especially my arms and legs are very long :-( and its very hard to bring them up for me! Can you give me some advices how to get more out of my body (exercises, rep-number, set-number, and so on).
I go very hard until failure and in working sets no more than 8-12 reps.
Do you think it is better for me to rely on basics like barbell-squats, hack-squats and leg presses, standing calv raises (for legs) than waisting my time and energy for standing leg curls and leg extensions?

Thanks for your help

Trav17
06-22-12, 5:32 pm
im excited for this thank

Ox
06-22-12, 8:23 pm
Here ya go boss! Keep in mind this is muscle model lol... Thats the reason for the shorts. I'll be bodybuilding in 7 weeks though.

http://i48.tinypic.com/em63l.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ljokm8.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/33orxwz.jpg

I actually have no real accurate measure of BF for these... Just a guess from a few people

... and I reread my orginal post. What I DIDN'T want to do is come in light heavies. I wanted to compete as a heavy before I'd bodybuild. I'm 5'11" and this is 210+?

I'd say you're definitely ready for the bodybuilding stage! You look great man. Best of luck...keep me posted with how it goes.

Ox
06-22-12, 8:25 pm
Hey man,
I got to finally meet you at body power, it was fucking sweet. I had a convo with natural guy while you were away eating but wanted to get your thoughts on something.

I have developed adrenal overload from kicking the ass outta per workouts while dieting, I know stimulants aren't your favourite (and no longer mine) but thought you may have some info on the matter? When I work out I can no longer get a pump and it's fucking miserable training with out that little reward! I assume you have never had this but maybe you have known a few people with it? Will I ever get my pump back?

Cheers buddy, your the shit!

Hey buddy. The best reccomendation I give is to be patient and allow your body to normalize. Obviosuly, make sure your nutrition is on point and get all the rest you can...rest is really the key in this situation. Trust me, your pumps will come back!

ChalkyPalms
06-22-12, 8:26 pm
I'd say you're definitely ready for the bodybuilding stage! You look great man. Best of luck...keep me posted with how it goes.

Thanks a ton! And I'll be sure to. 22 days and glutes are almost completely through

Ox
06-22-12, 8:27 pm
Awesome seeing you again at BodyPower & the ABC bro, my man Jimmy was pumped to finally meet you.

Hey man it was good to see you too!

Ox
06-22-12, 8:34 pm
Oh hell yea, I believe we will be seeing some Road to the 2012 Olympia videos then won't we?! Haha! Just wanted to say that I am so stoked to hear that you are competing in the Olympia bro. I came to the Olympia last year for the first time and I was out of control when I saw you and Wrath on the line-up... Then I saw the announcement online that you were not competing... Taking care of your family, my man! Anyways, I have already been waiting awhile for this! You will kill the stage Ox! I don't know that I can make the Olypmia this year, but you can rest assured I will be cheering you on watching it live! Also, just wanted you to know that I really appreciate the time you take to write the articles and do the videos, talk about breeding serious motivation! I am competing in my first show this Septemer and that motivation keeps me scratching for more! Thanks bro!

Hahahaha...will be on stage this year for certain. I really appreciate that kind of support and it's very motivating for me to hear that you are encouraged by what I do. All the best in your training so you can kick as in September.

Ox
06-22-12, 8:38 pm
Ox, I've. Been away from the forvm for a while so if someone has asked this already I apologize. In the June issue of MD Charles Glass said that you had the most complete physique and he would have awarded 1st at the Arnold to you. How does that make you feel? What a great complement.

Hahahaha...I saw and spoke with Charles at FIBO this year. Aside from the tremendous compliment he paid me, it was my first time meeting and speaking with Charles Glass and I walked away from our conversation with a great deal of respect for the man. He was well spoken and obviously very knowledgeable. All that aside, he was generous enough to offer me his time and expertise should I ever decide to go out to California and take him up on it. He's an old school bodybuilder and has been around the best...all the way from his time up until the present...to be paid a compliment by a guy like that is pretty awesome.

Ox
06-22-12, 8:41 pm
Hey sorry for taking so long to get back. Life is hectic enough with work/school/training lol then I threw moving into the mix. Almost all settled in now. I have my sights set on the Mid-Atlantic Grand Prix/WV State in November. I'm a little over 20 weeks out. I'm young and its my first show, so I def wont be the biggest guy.... My goal is to try to kill them with conditioning. Any advice?

Hey you're a busy man...we all are! That's the only way to make shit happen! My advice for the show...exactly what you said; come in the most ripped guy in the show and you are automatically in contention to win! Obviously, it's bodybuilding and you want to present the best package you can...size, condition, balance etc etc...but at local shows, conditioning goes pretty far! Train hard over the next few months because what you do now WILL show on stage. All the best.

Ox
06-22-12, 8:44 pm
Hey Evan,
because of my body size I have very long muscles especially my arms and legs are very long :-( and its very hard to bring them up for me! Can you give me some advices how to get more out of my body (exercises, rep-number, set-number, and so on).
I go very hard until failure and in working sets no more than 8-12 reps.
Do you think it is better for me to rely on basics like barbell-squats, hack-squats and leg presses, standing calv raises (for legs) than waisting my time and energy for standing leg curls and leg extensions?

Thanks for your help

I cannot give you sets and reps...you have to fugure that out yourself. My best advice to is to stick to heavy compound movements vs isolation movements. Put your strength and energy into the big stuff: squats, deads, bench, military press, barbell curls, skull crushers etc. And eat like mad.

BA
06-23-12, 3:28 am
Hey Ox. At the risk of sounding like a broken record in the forum. I'm a big fan of yours. My question for you is about sleep. Sometime ago I was having issues sleeping due to a irregular work schedule. I resolved that issue but now I'm having trouble sleeping as a result of being in my own skin. My shoulders have become so wide its uncomfortable to sleep now. When I sleep on my side my neck and shoulder kills by morning. I try to sleep on my back but it feels harder to breathe that way. A dozen different positions later... You're a much bigger guy than I am. How do you sleep comfortably at night?

TufffGuY
06-25-12, 1:16 am
Ox I was wondering if you could answer a question for me? First I am a huge fan of fatty acids like yourself I wont go into the benefits because I'd be up all night. I was recently reading something on Omega and along with the other omega 6's it said that the Linoleic Acid CLA is in the product as well. I am a huge fan of CLA because it plays many important roles including burning fat, the question I have for you is that where can I see CLA being found in the label I looked it up and down and I cannot find it. If you could clear this up for me it would help me confirm my good decision in buying a few cans of the product.

Thanks and as always keep up the good work of busting heads out there on stage and off.

Ox
07-06-12, 9:35 am
Hey Ox. At the risk of sounding like a broken record in the forum. I'm a big fan of yours. My question for you is about sleep. Sometime ago I was having issues sleeping due to a irregular work schedule. I resolved that issue but now I'm having trouble sleeping as a result of being in my own skin. My shoulders have become so wide its uncomfortable to sleep now. When I sleep on my side my neck and shoulder kills by morning. I try to sleep on my back but it feels harder to breathe that way. A dozen different positions later... You're a much bigger guy than I am. How do you sleep comfortably at night?

C'mon man, legit questions never get old. That's a tough one! I go through stages..when I'm heavier., everything is falling asleep and I'm snoring and my sleep sucks! That's one of the reasons I try to not get too heavy...if you can't sleep mell, everything get's fucked up. One thing I notice most is that poor sleep leads to weight gain (fat)...it's like a downward spiral. I'vw read that poor sleep causes insulin resistance so that would make sense as far as explaining the fat gain. My best advice, other than not getting too heavy, is to make sure you have a good mattress. The only other thing I can think is to make sure your mineral intake is high enough...especially magnesium. Some cardio may also help improve circulation and that will help ith your discomfort during sleep. Hopefully, one fo these will help! Let me know how it goes.

Ox
07-06-12, 9:46 am
Ox I was wondering if you could answer a question for me? First I am a huge fan of fatty acids like yourself I wont go into the benefits because I'd be up all night. I was recently reading something on Omega and along with the other omega 6's it said that the Linoleic Acid CLA is in the product as well. I am a huge fan of CLA because it plays many important roles including burning fat, the question I have for you is that where can I see CLA being found in the label I looked it up and down and I cannot find it. If you could clear this up for me it would help me confirm my good decision in buying a few cans of the product.

Thanks and as always keep up the good work of busting heads out there on stage and off.

Hahahaha...you can't! The reason is that the CLA is derived from Safflower oil which IS listed on the label as part of the Omega 6 complex. If you look further down the label you will see it stated that 1 Pak contains 800mg of CLA. But to answer your question, it's contained in the safflower oil.

Tiger
07-06-12, 9:52 am
Hey Ox,

After that last answer you've got me wondering... What would you recommend for daily intake of Fish Oil/CLA/etc.?

I'm currently taking Omega, and was considering taking 2 paks a day, but with only a 30 pak can it would disappear fast... If I wanted to take Omega and then a cheaper alternative for a "2nd dose" what would you suggest?

Thanks again, bro!

kcburrows
07-06-12, 10:20 am
hey Ox, hope all is well and hope the fam is doing good. I saw a few months back the photo shoot of you and branch training together, Do you know if there are any vid clips from that. would've love to see some training vids from 2 of my fav bodybuilders!!!

C.Coronato
07-06-12, 10:50 am
Just dropping in to say whats up and hope all is well with the Family and training is well. Hope to get back up there soon!

Ox
07-06-12, 12:00 pm
Hey Ox,

After that last answer you've got me wondering... What would you recommend for daily intake of Fish Oil/CLA/etc.?

I'm currently taking Omega, and was considering taking 2 paks a day, but with only a 30 pak can it would disappear fast... If I wanted to take Omega and then a cheaper alternative for a "2nd dose" what would you suggest?

Thanks again, bro!

I think 3 Omega paks a day for someone my size is good. But I'd say for most, 2 paks is a good place to be. I don't feel 1 a day is enough/optimal. If you want to take Omega as a foundation, you could always throw in some extra fish oil on top of it.

Ox
07-06-12, 12:01 pm
hey Ox, hope all is well and hope the fam is doing good. I saw a few months back the photo shoot of you and branch training together, Do you know if there are any vid clips from that. would've love to see some training vids from 2 of my fav bodybuilders!!!

That's a good question. I don't remember but I don't think there was any video footage.

Ox
07-06-12, 12:01 pm
Just dropping in to say whats up and hope all is well with the Family and training is well. Hope to get back up there soon!

My man! I'm sure I'll see you soon. How's training?

Kowboy
07-06-12, 12:17 pm
Ox - quick question, I am looking to get bigger but have some fat to lose. Do you think it is important to drop the fat prior to doing a clean bulk? It is all in my midsection.

felipelpr
07-18-12, 8:58 pm
Hey, Evan! How is it going, daddy?
Is it true that you are coming to Rio Expo Nutrition, in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, in July? It would be July 27th to 29th!
PLEASE, TELL ME IT IS! I'M GONNA CRY!!!!
Last year, Frank arrived in here! It was awesome!

Another question: I just had an injury on my shoulder... my tendon... any tips to keep the muscle tone (chest specially) and for rehab? It's taking to long to get better! almost 2 months!

PLEASE, COME!

Your biggest fan in Brazil!
Felipe

C.Coronato
07-19-12, 10:05 am
My man! I'm sure I'll see you soon. How's training?

Training is going well, thank you. I feel good, but getting antsy and have the desire to get back on stage, soon. I know this time off is good for me, so I have been keeping that on the front of my head. Jan 1st is game time!

How is everything with you?

felipelpr
07-28-12, 6:46 pm
Is it true that you are coming to Rio Expo Nutrition, in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, in July? It would be July 27th to 29th!

Another question: I just had an injury on my shoulder... my tendon... any tips to keep the muscle tone (chest specially) and for rehab? It's taking to long to get better! almost 2 months!

PLEASE, COME!

Felipe

It was me! I gave you a Muscular Development magazine with you in the cover for you to sign. I wish I could stay longer and talk to you better, but hundreds of people wanted to talk to you! I even shaked and my friends made fun of me! Hahaha
Thanks for being such an incredible professional and humble person!
It was a honor to shake your hand!

spartan300
07-28-12, 7:45 pm
Hahahaha...I saw and spoke with Charles at FIBO this year. Aside from the tremendous compliment he paid me, it was my first time meeting and speaking with Charles Glass and I walked away from our conversation with a great deal of respect for the man. He was well spoken and obviously very knowledgeable. All that aside, he was generous enough to offer me his time and expertise should I ever decide to go out to California and take him up on it. He's an old school bodybuilder and has been around the best...all the way from his time up until the present...to be paid a compliment by a guy like that is pretty awesome.

Charles is a good guy to know Big Man. I think he can make the both of you very rich! But ya' gotta listen!

Ox
08-02-12, 5:16 pm
Ox - quick question, I am looking to get bigger but have some fat to lose. Do you think it is important to drop the fat prior to doing a clean bulk? It is all in my midsection.

Meh, I don't think it's crucial. I'd probably just go ahead and "bulk" but do it in a clean/healthy way. Give your body only what it needs to grow...don't need any crazy excess. And throw in some step mill; 20 min 4 times a week. Between a clean diet and HARD training you'd be surprised how much you can grow without adding a lot of fat...you might even tighten up.

Ox
08-02-12, 5:20 pm

PLEASE, COME!

Felipe

Heyyy! It was great to meet you man. I remember...you had the magazine with me on the cover! Rio is beautiful and the people are incredibly nice. I cannot wait to come back one day with my family.

As for your shoulder, I've always found that unless the injury is very serious, the best thing to do is to train through it. You may want to cut back on HEAVY movements or anything that aggravates it too much but other than that, rest doesn't alwasy work.As my chiropractor says, injuries happen in motion they must be healed with motion!

Ox
08-02-12, 5:23 pm
Training is going well, thank you. I feel good, but getting antsy and have the desire to get back on stage, soon. I know this time off is good for me, so I have been keeping that on the front of my head. Jan 1st is game time!

How is everything with you?

Gettin antsy huh? I gotta admit, I never feel that way! The fact that you feel that way is a good sign though! It means you're recuperating, recharged and fresh! Enjoy it while it lasts because once it's here, you'll wish you did!

Everything is good pal. Just cranking it out and trying to make it happen! "There ain't no rest for the wicked"!

Ox
08-02-12, 5:27 pm
It was me! I gave you a Muscular Development magazine with you in the cover for you to sign. I wish I could stay longer and talk to you better, but hundreds of people wanted to talk to you! I even shaked and my friends made fun of me! Hahaha
Thanks for being such an incredible professional and humble person!
It was a honor to shake your hand!

Man, the honor was mine. My only regret is that I do not have more time to spend talking with each person. If time permitted it, I'd stay and talk with each person until they had nothing left to say! You did shake a little bit. It's all good man. I was shaking a little bit too.

Ox
08-02-12, 5:29 pm
Charles is a good guy to know Big Man. I think he can make the both of you very rich! But ya' gotta listen!

Rich? You think so huh? Well then sign me up for that cash!

ChalkyPalms
08-03-12, 4:21 pm
Ox, I thought I'd give you the news from my last show a few weeks ago. Well good news is I conditioned really well and I'm very proud of the work I put in. It was an awesome experience as I knew it would be and learned alot! Bad news is (being my 2nd show ever) we made some adjustments to my peak week and I came in on a little different protocol and didn't dry out enough. Kinda sucks to put in so much hard work to mess up that part. It's nothing that'll keep me down. I'm already up and moving on to he next goal. I ended up finishing 4th when if I woulda dried out, would have been top 2 contender. Feedback from judges other than about being drier was nothing but good and I have a "promising future".

I'm 4 weeks post show and haven't rebounded at all. Staying very lean and began reverse dieting a week ago. Next goal is to comfortably get into super heavies staying lean as possible and then diet back down and take an overall :) I'm still area shows, so if I get into supers and condition like I did but dry out actually this time, I don't think I'll have a problem at all. I'll be competing nationally 2013, whether I do well right off the bat or not lol. Still hoping to meet your big ass! Hope all is well man! Can't wait to see you on the Olympia stage!

TufffGuY
08-05-12, 12:00 am
Besides Animal Omega what other oils do you take during the day and when is the best time to take these EFA's?

TheRock1618
08-06-12, 10:40 am
I've been working out pretty consistently for the last couple years with some shit results and decided to move back to just movin the heaviest weight I can. Been doing Madcow and that sort of stuff. My question is what's your opinion on strength based routines. Do you think doing a full body routine with compound movements is best until the 1000 lb club or so? Or splits all the way? Thanks brother.

Mizzarler
08-06-12, 1:32 pm
Hey Ox,

I'm ready to do a cut and I absolutely suck at figuring everything out. I remember you did keto for your first show and was wondering if you would reccomend it to someone like me? I'm 5'10, 205 and around 13-14% bf looking to get to around 6-7%bf while obviously retaining as much lean mass as possible. Here's what I came up with for my keto diet. I just took your diet and toned it down cause you were obviously much bigger than me

Meal 1: 4 whole eggs
Meal 2: 6oz chicken, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
Meal 3: 50g Iso whey, 1.5 tbsp peanut butter
Meal 4: 6oz chicken, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
Meal 5: 7 oz steak, 2 cups broccoli, 1 tbsp olive oil
Meal 6: 50g Iso whey, 1.5 tbsp peanut butter

Have cheat meal as last meal night before leg day (ribeye and pancakes)

Would that be ok or do you think I should still eat carbs? Thanks man I know your really busy and any help would be awesome!

Ox
08-09-12, 9:22 am
Ox, I thought I'd give you the news from my last show a few weeks ago. Well good news is I conditioned really well and I'm very proud of the work I put in. It was an awesome experience as I knew it would be and learned alot! Bad news is (being my 2nd show ever) we made some adjustments to my peak week and I came in on a little different protocol and didn't dry out enough. Kinda sucks to put in so much hard work to mess up that part. It's nothing that'll keep me down. I'm already up and moving on to he next goal. I ended up finishing 4th when if I woulda dried out, would have been top 2 contender. Feedback from judges other than about being drier was nothing but good and I have a "promising future".

I'm 4 weeks post show and haven't rebounded at all. Staying very lean and began reverse dieting a week ago. Next goal is to comfortably get into super heavies staying lean as possible and then diet back down and take an overall :) I'm still area shows, so if I get into supers and condition like I did but dry out actually this time, I don't think I'll have a problem at all. I'll be competing nationally 2013, whether I do well right off the bat or not lol. Still hoping to meet your big ass! Hope all is well man! Can't wait to see you on the Olympia stage!

It sucks to hear it didn't pan out as well as it could have! But on the flip side, it sounds like you're well on your way and have some big plans and that's great...even more, I can tell you have the potential to carry out those plans. We all have our hiccups and it's RARE for any bodybuilder to come in at 100%...shit, even if someone looks 100%, you always feel you could have maybe been bigger etc etc. Just keep on with the attitude you have right now and you'll do great.

Ox
08-09-12, 9:23 am
Besides Animal Omega what other oils do you take during the day and when is the best time to take these EFA's?

The only other fats I take in are olive oil. I usually have 2-3 tablespoons a day...one with meals 1, 2 & 3. Best time? That all depends on when you feel you need them/when you will benefit from them most.

Ox
08-09-12, 9:28 am
Hey Ox,

I'm ready to do a cut and I absolutely suck at figuring everything out. I remember you did keto for your first show and was wondering if you would reccomend it to someone like me? I'm 5'10, 205 and around 13-14% bf looking to get to around 6-7%bf while obviously retaining as much lean mass as possible. Here's what I came up with for my keto diet. I just took your diet and toned it down cause you were obviously much bigger than me

Meal 1: 4 whole eggs
Meal 2: 6oz chicken, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
Meal 3: 50g Iso whey, 1.5 tbsp peanut butter
Meal 4: 6oz chicken, 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
Meal 5: 7 oz steak, 2 cups broccoli, 1 tbsp olive oil
Meal 6: 50g Iso whey, 1.5 tbsp peanut butter

Have cheat meal as last meal night before leg day (ribeye and pancakes)

Would that be ok or do you think I should still eat carbs? Thanks man I know your really busy and any help would be awesome!

Actually, my first show I did my prep on my own and did not do keto. The next 3 shows I did following that, I used keto. To be honest, knowing what I know now, I feel it's best to follow a balanced diet and not eliminate fats or carbs...adjust them yes. But you will most likely find that your best results will come from a balanced diet...you will look and feel your best. As a starting point, figure out how many calories you have in the above diet and make a new diet replacing say 3 of the meals with fats with carbs. Perhaps its best to put one or two of those prior to training and have one of them after and let the meals with fats fall in everywhere else. That would be my advice.

Solid Dreams
08-11-12, 8:59 am
Hey Evan, going off your last response, was going to ask you something. Why do you always see guys cutting fats completely out during contest prep? Is it just a matter of fats being a good way to drop calories and conserve as much protein as you can while in calorie deficits?

Also, have you ever heard of MCT Oil? Supposedly it's the best thing since sliced bread for bodybuilders, a fat that preserves lean muscle and torches body fat. It's the stuff in coconut oil, so was wondering if you've ever used/read about it?

TufffGuY
08-11-12, 5:26 pm
The only other fats I take in are olive oil. I usually have 2-3 tablespoons a day...one with meals 1, 2 & 3. Best time? That all depends on when you feel you need them/when you will benefit from them most.

No macadamia nut oil? or MCT oil?

RyanHalliwell
08-14-12, 11:01 am
Ox Im a big fan, your one of the most sincere and Genuine guys in this game ! Planning on competing in the August time next year when im 16, But started training and bulking for it this year about 5months ago. Would you recommend competing at young age, I've heard mixed reviews ?
Thanks man, hope you continue to inspire !

gMarshall
08-21-12, 1:53 pm
Yo Ox, Great thread you have here.

I have been trying to gain mass like nobodys business here lately. the meal plan i am currnetly trying to run almost seems like to much(hard to eat all of the food). I am also a little confused about the workouts ppl keep throwing at me to gain mass. could ya throw me a meal plan with supps to gain the most amount of mass? and would animal training program #19 be a good choice?

mass3011
08-27-12, 3:11 am
hows it going bro? hows the diet looking this close 2 your first o?

Sprint
08-27-12, 10:16 am
Just saw a pic of you a few weeks out from the O, looking good man. Still looking big & full, & dry with it.

Solid Dreams
08-27-12, 10:33 am
Lookin awesome, Ox! Good luck!

AmericanMade88
08-31-12, 4:24 pm
What's going on, Ox?
I just have a question regarding nutrition. I finish my last meal usually around 745pm, and go to bed around 9. At around 1130-1230 I always wake up to piss. While Im up, I realize that I am hungry and I have to down a shake with 1 TBS of PB or 1/2 Cup of FF Cottage cheese with PB. I've heard that eating right before you go to bed is bad, and others tell me that I can actually benefit from it. What's your opinion?

rafs
09-05-12, 7:46 pm
hey ox, just wanted to let you know that you`re a inspiration for me man... i was a fat kid too, and just like you i starved myself and end up losing 55 pounds... now i`m in to bodybuilding and you motivate me everyday! thanks for that man, keep up with the good work!

dkbwar
09-09-12, 2:32 am
Going for the Olympia, THIS IS CRAZY Mr Centopani, wish you the best, you are already a beast, you grew so freaking much in the last 5 years, I am glad you finally found the perfect combination for your results, cant wait to c you on stage, I mean, you did 3rd place at the Arnold right? you were just right next to Mister Branch Warren(person who I trully admire) and Dennis Wolf, You are going to be the 1rst bb from Animal whos gonna be in top 10 right? just look at yourself, keep on doing what has given you that tremendous size and quality and simetry and etc, holy shit, congrats!

solomon_caine
09-11-12, 10:12 am
just a question.

I'd like to ask what the two tablets that most guys who use Pak leave out? was just curious because I intend to buy Pak myself during my later years in bodybuilding.

thanks.

Universal Rep
09-11-12, 10:32 am
PSA in case you fellas missed it, Ox's Road to the Olympia vids are all goin up here... www.youtube.com/Animalpak

Chapter 2 maybe goin up today or tomorrow...

B.C.
09-11-12, 6:15 pm
Ox's Road to the Olympia videos are by far my favotite training videos. I share a mentality with Ox to a tee, and as common as that mentality might be here on the Forvm...I promise you it's not very common in my every day life. These vids are just plain cool.

kcburrows
09-13-12, 8:25 am
Hey Evan, just wanted to say best of luck man! You deserve it being one of the most humble guys who bust their ass day in and day out. One thing i did wanna know, as you get this deep into prep what are your days like? I know some guys relax and try to stay off their feet. I personally dont picture you sitting too still lol but was just curious of what the day in day out life is like being this close to the O? Thanks for everything evan, for the inspiration, and for being everything you are to the sport brother!

jcollins
09-14-12, 5:31 pm
Evan,

Are you still splitting your leg routine? I'v been blessed by my work to leave for an hour and half to go train.
I've been working long hours and finally get some time to myself since I come in before the sun comes up and a lot of times leave after the sun sets.
No biggie, got mouths to feed and responsibilities to take care of but really fucks up my training.
Anyways, back to the split. After the 10 minute drive there and back and shower, it leaves me with right at an hour to train.
Not good for leg day. So now its time to split em up. This is good, for my hamstrings need to catch up. I'd like to bounce this split idea off ya and get your opinion.
Mon: Quads/Calves
Tues: Chest/Abs
Wed: Upper & Mid Back/Traps
Thurs: Rest
Fri: Hamstings/Lower Back/Calves
Sat: Delts/Arms
Sun: Rest

Thanks bro,

Kill it at the Olympia. i'll probably be watching it from my desk at work While eating some chicken breast and sweet potato, haha.

getbig
09-15-12, 12:30 am
Evan,

I am 19 and started training for bodybuilding and powerlifting this February and I have to say that you are such a great role model and seeing your videos motivate me and the speech you give through out your videos are amazing! I saw you at the Arnold this year and again when I did my first show at the NPC Pittsburgh Championships and was thrilled I got to take a picture with you and Seth! Best of Luck in Mr. O this year!

awayoflife
09-16-12, 4:53 pm
First of all I want to wish you the best of luck at the Olympia! Show everybody what being an Animal is all about!

I also wanted to say that your latest article on animalpak.com is a real recipe for growth haha! I will give some of the recipes a shot and see how my body reacts to the abundance of calories!

I would also have a question for you: For the pasta and meatball meal you said that you use it as dinner to fill up on glycogen and the next day you see improvements in your w/o and I was wondering if the effectiveness of this meal depends on the time of day at wich you train, for example will you feel that the effects of the meal be greater if you w/o earlier in the day than if you w/o in the evening?

ironfreak1988
09-27-12, 11:59 am
Just saw your 12 days out chest training video by MD... Holy shit brother, you are jacked! I always look forward to your Arnold and Olympia prep videos... every video motivates me more to be the best I can be. I am just really excited for you and your debut at the Olympia bro. You have made some serious improvements and your chest has come along by leaps and bounds... just know you are going to kick ass up on that stage man and I will be watching and routing you on... Best of luck to you and thank you for all you do for this sport.

N. Motta
09-29-12, 2:33 pm
Best of luck tonight Evan.

dkbwar
10-02-12, 1:21 am
8th place at the Olympia CONGRATS MAN!!!

Haack_on_Attack
10-15-12, 4:35 pm
Hey Ox,

Just wanted to say congrats at the O. You are a perfect role model for ppl to follow in this sport. I watched the press conference you didn't let chick or Dennis get to you. I,love you're attitude and the way you approach this sport. So what is going to be next for you. I thought you'd do the Arnold, but you are a family man so I wouldn't be surprised if you just wanted to get back to Conn.

Ox
10-24-12, 6:40 am
Hey Evan, going off your last response, was going to ask you something. Why do you always see guys cutting fats completely out during contest prep? Is it just a matter of fats being a good way to drop calories and conserve as much protein as you can while in calorie deficits?

Also, have you ever heard of MCT Oil? Supposedly it's the best thing since sliced bread for bodybuilders, a fat that preserves lean muscle and torches body fat. It's the stuff in coconut oil, so was wondering if you've ever used/read about it?

If I had to guess it might be because it stems from the old way of thinking that "fat makes you fat". Additionaly, we all recognize that when dietting, a deficit inc calories has to be created. Many will do it by REDUCING fat intake. Knowing most bodybuilders and how we tend to think, if reducing fats is good, then eliminating them altogether must be even better! You know how it goes.

I first heard of MCT oil back when I was prepping for my first shows. I bought a bottle but ended up not using it out of fear that it would cause gastrointestinal distress. I know that you should NEVER cook with it because it will damage the fats. I've heard plenty about guys using coconut oil and loving it for the fast burning energy it provides. And it's supposed to do everything from stimulate thyroid metabolism to kill viruses! Any good? I use it,like it and will continue to use it. Olive is still my number one though.

Ox
10-24-12, 6:43 am
No macadamia nut oil? or MCT oil?

Mac nut oil is a great source of monos and it tastes GREAT. But because of the price point, I've been sticking with olive oil. I've never used MCT oil but I do include coconut oil.

Ox
10-24-12, 6:47 am
Ox Im a big fan, your one of the most sincere and Genuine guys in this game ! Planning on competing in the August time next year when im 16, But started training and bulking for it this year about 5months ago. Would you recommend competing at young age, I've heard mixed reviews ?
Thanks man, hope you continue to inspire !

Thanks pal! My advice would be to compete when you feel ready. It's your life, do what you want to. That being said, I think most guys might benefit from waiting a little longer to compete. Building a solid foundation takes TIME. And I feel like oftentimes, once guys begin competing they quickly fall into the cycle of offseason-precontest-competition. That's great because it gives you motivation to train and a pish when others might ease up. But on the flipside, I think once they start competing, most guys don't take enough time to grow and make improvments. One thing I will say, don't get onstage "for the experience" or "to get your feet wet". Get onstage when you feel ready to display something you've worked hard for and are proud of.

Ox
10-24-12, 6:49 am
Yo Ox, Great thread you have here.

I have been trying to gain mass like nobodys business here lately. the meal plan i am currnetly trying to run almost seems like to much(hard to eat all of the food). I am also a little confused about the workouts ppl keep throwing at me to gain mass. could ya throw me a meal plan with supps to gain the most amount of mass? and would animal training program #19 be a good choice?

That I can't do. I don't know anything about you.

Ox
10-24-12, 6:50 am
hows it going bro? hows the diet looking this close 2 your first o?

The diet was tight my friend. And now it's mayhem!

Ox
10-24-12, 6:53 am
What's going on, Ox?
I just have a question regarding nutrition. I finish my last meal usually around 745pm, and go to bed around 9. At around 1130-1230 I always wake up to piss. While Im up, I realize that I am hungry and I have to down a shake with 1 TBS of PB or 1/2 Cup of FF Cottage cheese with PB. I've heard that eating right before you go to bed is bad, and others tell me that I can actually benefit from it. What's your opinion?

Depends on your body type and metabolism.If you're naturally lean and a hard gainer, go for it. If you're a naturally bigger guy, it may not be the best option. It could be what you're eating as your last meal that's causing fluctuations in your blood sugar and a big insulin release so you end up hungry a few hours later. Perhaps try having a good sized peice of salmon or red meat with a salad as your last meals...protein and fat. This could help stabilize your blood sugar/insulin.

Ox
10-24-12, 6:55 am
hey ox, just wanted to let you know that you`re a inspiration for me man... i was a fat kid too, and just like you i starved myself and end up losing 55 pounds... now i`m in to bodybuilding and you motivate me everyday! thanks for that man, keep up with the good work!

Thanks buddy. Congrats on changing your lifestyle. I wish you nothing but the best!

Ox
10-24-12, 6:56 am
Going for the Olympia, THIS IS CRAZY Mr Centopani, wish you the best, you are already a beast, you grew so freaking much in the last 5 years, I am glad you finally found the perfect combination for your results, cant wait to c you on stage, I mean, you did 3rd place at the Arnold right? you were just right next to Mister Branch Warren(person who I trully admire) and Dennis Wolf, You are going to be the 1rst bb from Animal whos gonna be in top 10 right? just look at yourself, keep on doing what has given you that tremendous size and quality and simetry and etc, holy shit, congrats!

Thanks man. It was an honor to make the top 10!

Ox
10-24-12, 6:57 am
just a question.

I'd like to ask what the two tablets that most guys who use Pak leave out? was just curious because I intend to buy Pak myself during my later years in bodybuilding.

thanks.

I'm not sure man. Now I would like to know!

Ox
10-24-12, 7:01 am
Hey Evan, just wanted to say best of luck man! You deserve it being one of the most humble guys who bust their ass day in and day out. One thing i did wanna know, as you get this deep into prep what are your days like? I know some guys relax and try to stay off their feet. I personally dont picture you sitting too still lol but was just curious of what the day in day out life is like being this close to the O? Thanks for everything evan, for the inspiration, and for being everything you are to the sport brother!

Thanks for wishing me well bro. Towards the end of the prep...it gets pretty intense. It can become pretty stressful mentaly (physicaly too obviously!) as you're always thinking about making sure you're doing all you can to be 100% You think about every little thing you do and analyze whether it is optimal. It's not until the last 2 days or so that you try to relax and let your body acclimate. Even then, your mind is racing!

Ox
10-24-12, 7:04 am
Evan,

Are you still splitting your leg routine? I'v been blessed by my work to leave for an hour and half to go train.
I've been working long hours and finally get some time to myself since I come in before the sun comes up and a lot of times leave after the sun sets.
No biggie, got mouths to feed and responsibilities to take care of but really fucks up my training.
Anyways, back to the split. After the 10 minute drive there and back and shower, it leaves me with right at an hour to train.
Not good for leg day. So now its time to split em up. This is good, for my hamstrings need to catch up. I'd like to bounce this split idea off ya and get your opinion.
Mon: Quads/Calves
Tues: Chest/Abs
Wed: Upper & Mid Back/Traps
Thurs: Rest
Fri: Hamstings/Lower Back/Calves
Sat: Delts/Arms
Sun: Rest

Thanks bro,

Kill it at the Olympia. i'll probably be watching it from my desk at work While eating some chicken breast and sweet potato, haha.

Still splitting up hams and quads. I like the split! Looks perfect to me. I know this is a late reply but if you've been following it, how do you like it?

Ox
10-24-12, 7:06 am
Evan,

I am 19 and started training for bodybuilding and powerlifting this February and I have to say that you are such a great role model and seeing your videos motivate me and the speech you give through out your videos are amazing! I saw you at the Arnold this year and again when I did my first show at the NPC Pittsburgh Championships and was thrilled I got to take a picture with you and Seth! Best of Luck in Mr. O this year!

Hey thanks man. I wish you all the best. Take your time, use your head and be safe. And if there's ever anything I can do, I'm here.

Ox
10-24-12, 7:06 am
Best of luck tonight Evan.

Hey thanks for that man.

Ox
10-24-12, 7:07 am
8th place at the Olympia CONGRATS MAN!!!

Thanks pal. I appreciate it.

Ox
10-24-12, 7:17 am
Hey Ox,

Just wanted to say congrats at the O. You are a perfect role model for ppl to follow in this sport. I watched the press conference you didn't let chick or Dennis get to you. I,love you're attitude and the way you approach this sport. So what is going to be next for you. I thought you'd do the Arnold, but you are a family man so I wouldn't be surprised if you just wanted to get back to Conn.

Thanks a lot. As for the press conference, I don't think it went very well. In my opinion (and I'm sure I share this opinion with the majority of the fans) every guy at that conference is a champion and is obviously one of THE BEST in the world. Accordingly, I think that the fans, the athletes and the sport as a whole might have been better served if the conference were conducted in a way that reflected each athlete's greatness and showcased the fact that a great deal of perseverance was necessary in order for each man to find himself sitting behind a microphone at that press conference. There were a few guys who didn't speak fluent English and their opportunity to say anything meaningful was lost. Those who do speak fluent English were goaded into talking bad about each other. In short, I didn't care for it. You can't acknowledge each man's greatness when in the end all you have are a group of guys with microphones with each man saying he is better than the next. What ends up happening is no one looks great. But that's just how I feel about it.

naturalguy
10-24-12, 9:56 am
Thanks a lot. As for the press conference, I don't think it went very well. In my opinion (and I'm sure I share this opinion with the majority of the fans) every guy at that conference is a champion and is obviously one of THE BEST in the world. Accordingly, I think that the fans, the athletes and the sport as a whole might have been better served if the conference were conducted in a way that reflected each athlete's greatness and showcased the fact that a great deal of perseverance was necessary in order for each man to find himself sitting behind a microphone at that press conference. There were a few guys who didn't speak fluent English and their opportunity to say anything meaningful was lost. Those who do speak fluent English were goaded into talking bad about each other. In short, I didn't care for it. You can't acknowledge each man's greatness when in the end all you have are a group of guys with microphones with each man saying he is better than the next. What ends up happening is no one looks great. But that's just how I feel about it.

Honestly it looked "forced" like they are baiting guys into talking trash. If it happens naturally then it could be cool but it doesn't come off that way.

Ox
10-24-12, 11:50 am
Honestly it looked "forced" like they are baiting guys into talking trash. If it happens naturally then it could be cool but it doesn't come off that way.

Hey, don't get me wrong...if one of the guys has something he wants to get off his chest then he should definitely let it be known. But when the guys running the press conference are aiming for controversy, then I agree, it ends up looking forced.

solomon_caine
10-24-12, 1:16 pm
Yo, Evan!!

I have not been up to date with what's happened lately with your bodybuilding but by browsing through the replies on this thread, I learned you took the 8th at the O! Also, I saw the article you posted outside the FORUM and I have to say this because I mean it: your article is just fascinating! It totally takes out the sore loser attitude from most guys including myself who are afraid of losing. Well, that goes for them, I guess but not for me because I may have lost a lot of times but in the eyes of the people I know, I'm a winner to them. In like manner, you inspire people like me to push forward when I start to think that everything I do in my craft seems without result. Patience was a good teacher and from the time I overhauled my training, I lost 10 pounds in 2 months while gaining muscle at the same time. Over those months, I'd tirelessly watch the old videos of you and your diet, including your Road to the Arnold and the CAGE Seminar which was around last year. I'd listen to them intently and took them by heart and here I am, quite pleased with the results of my labor...all thanks to your encouragement and strict discipline as a bodybuilder.

You have inspired me a lot, man, and so do Wrath and House and G Diesel and most of the guys who are in the FORUM. If granted that one chance, I'd like to come to the US and meet you guys in person. I'll forever be thankful and grateful that I found my way here when I got lost on the way. Thanks, man!

Caine

GUNS
10-24-12, 1:55 pm
Hey, don't get me wrong...if one of the guys has something he wants to get off his chest then he should definitely let it be known. But when the guys running the press conference are aiming for controversy, then I agree, it ends up looking forced.

You hit the nail on the head, "the guy running the press conference"! Maybe the O needs a new guy!

Sprint
10-27-12, 8:47 am
Having seen the press conference, I had to smile with your response. It said a lot about you & just highlighted the main reason why I've got so much respect for you. No frills, no gloss, just straight up 100% genuine, what you see is what you get.

There's a lot to be said for that in this day & age.

Thanks to some goading, a few guys ended up trying to big themselves up, & by not getting involved you came away the biggest.

B.RAGE
10-28-12, 9:45 am
Hi Evan, What kind of under armour shorts do you wear to the gym? and how do you manage to lift all those weights without a belt?

Buffone
10-28-12, 10:24 pm
Congrats on the placing at the O this year man you got a great future still quite young! I'm 17 dreaming and doing everything I can to get to where you are. Just wanted to let you know thanks for all the motivation! Good luck in the future can't wait to see you back on stage. You and Kai to me are the only ones who are still true to what the sport is about and haven't fallen in this trash talking and just there to show case the best you can! You are a great ambassador for the sport.

Irving
11-08-12, 11:25 am
Hey Evan I hope all is well with you and your family I'm sure you're enjoying some time off. My question which im sure has been discussed a few times is I've been lifting for about a year now and am still trying to figure out a diet. I am 5 7" and 175lbs. I'm about at 20 percent body fat. My goal is to eventually enter some local contests. Would you recommend me to bulk or cut first? My metabolism is so slow. I can gain weight so fast and by weight I mean fat. What would be the smartest route to go in your opinion? Thanks for all you do man.

The Einstein
11-14-12, 7:42 pm
Hey Ox, My friend damaged his right forearm during a lift and since then he's not able to train. Whenever he goes heavy his forearm starts to hurt. It's been two years now, He had like.. 17 inch guns and now he's down to 15 or something. We went to the doctor and had x-ray also, there was nothing wrong with his bone and stuff.. but we can't find a solution. Do you think that Animal Flex would work? What shall we do?

Gio71
12-06-12, 4:55 am
Hi Evan,

first of all i hope that you and your family is alright and healthy :).

Maybe you dont remember me anymore , but i met you some years ago at the fibo( the guy who didnt had the courage to talk to you haha ).. right now i am kind of depressed and dont know what to do.. i feel stressed when i train i dont know what my principles where and i keep trying routines and things i would never do such things in the past..i really dont know what to do actually.. so what i would like you to ask if you could share your mindset what you are looking for when you train.. like a specific feeling or hit some rep ranges.. im mostly confused about going to failure or not i had this thing so much on my mind.. and dont know which way is right like 3 sets till i cant lift no more or like 5 sets with increase in weight i always want to do things right.. in the past i always cared for the maximum feeling in the 6-10 range.. it would be really helpful for me if you could motivate me a bit or something.. if you have the time of course .

PS : sorry if my english is bad

Wish you all the best :)

Ox
12-06-12, 1:34 pm
Yo, Evan!!

I have not been up to date with what's happened lately with your bodybuilding but by browsing through the replies on this thread, I learned you took the 8th at the O! Also, I saw the article you posted outside the FORUM and I have to say this because I mean it: your article is just fascinating! It totally takes out the sore loser attitude from most guys including myself who are afraid of losing. Well, that goes for them, I guess but not for me because I may have lost a lot of times but in the eyes of the people I know, I'm a winner to them. In like manner, you inspire people like me to push forward when I start to think that everything I do in my craft seems without result. Patience was a good teacher and from the time I overhauled my training, I lost 10 pounds in 2 months while gaining muscle at the same time. Over those months, I'd tirelessly watch the old videos of you and your diet, including your Road to the Arnold and the CAGE Seminar which was around last year. I'd listen to them intently and took them by heart and here I am, quite pleased with the results of my labor...all thanks to your encouragement and strict discipline as a bodybuilder.

You have inspired me a lot, man, and so do Wrath and House and G Diesel and most of the guys who are in the FORUM. If granted that one chance, I'd like to come to the US and meet you guys in person. I'll forever be thankful and grateful that I found my way here when I got lost on the way. Thanks, man!

Caine

Hey man. The way I see it, be it with bodybuilding or anything else in life, the best position to be in is one where you win no matter what! Make it so you can't lose. There's only good and better rather than winning and losing. Winning a bodybuilding contest doesn't mean that much. If you were the only guy who showed up in your class and you took "first place" but looked like dump because you didn't train hard or stick to your diet then what's it really worth? If a guy takes 5th in his class but looked incredible and made drastic improvements then that is worth far more. "Winning" is subjective.

All in all, you just stick to trying to improve yourself. That's all that matters.

Congrats on the headway you've made, stay patient, stay dedicated and keep a good attitude.

Ox
12-06-12, 1:35 pm
You hit the nail on the head, "the guy running the press conference"! Maybe the O needs a new guy!

Or maybe just to consider things from a different perspective. Not everyone thinks alike!

Ox
12-06-12, 1:39 pm
Having seen the press conference, I had to smile with your response. It said a lot about you & just highlighted the main reason why I've got so much respect for you. No frills, no gloss, just straight up 100% genuine, what you see is what you get.

There's a lot to be said for that in this day & age.

Thanks to some goading, a few guys ended up trying to big themselves up, & by not getting involved you came away the biggest.

Sprintster! What's up pal? How's the U.K.?

Thanks for that. I was left with the impression that many accepted my answer as a cop-out. But that's truly how I feel. Besides, I don't feel as though I'm in competition with any of those guys as much as I'm trying to improve myself. Maybe I'm just not a competitive person. I want what I want because I want it, not because someone else has it or because I want more than them.

Ox
12-06-12, 1:46 pm
Hi Evan, What kind of under armour shorts do you wear to the gym? and how do you manage to lift all those weights without a belt?

They're called Burn II lacrosse shorts. Unfortunately, they are discontinued. Fortunately, I stocked up!

As for my not wearing a belt, I tried a belt when I was 16 or so (only because I was told it was needed for back support) and it felt uncomfortable to me...it just felt in my way. So I wore one a couple times and then retired it. Maybe not wearing one from day one forced me to maintain better form and or develop the supporting muscles? Not sure. But I just have never liked wearing a belt.

Ox
12-06-12, 1:49 pm
Congrats on the placing at the O this year man you got a great future still quite young! I'm 17 dreaming and doing everything I can to get to where you are. Just wanted to let you know thanks for all the motivation! Good luck in the future can't wait to see you back on stage. You and Kai to me are the only ones who are still true to what the sport is about and haven't fallen in this trash talking and just there to show case the best you can! You are a great ambassador for the sport.

Thanks pal. Man, I remember 17 like it was yesterday...some of the best times of my life! Enjoy them. And be patient in regard to training. If you love bodybuilding then there's nothing wrong with being dedicated to it. But do be patient and remember that no matter how hard you train, how much you eat etc etc, it takes time to develop a physique. At 17, you want things NOW! The more patience you can maintain the better you will be in the long run. Best.

Ox
12-06-12, 1:55 pm
Hey Evan I hope all is well with you and your family I'm sure you're enjoying some time off. My question which im sure has been discussed a few times is I've been lifting for about a year now and am still trying to figure out a diet. I am 5 7" and 175lbs. I'm about at 20 percent body fat. My goal is to eventually enter some local contests. Would you recommend me to bulk or cut first? My metabolism is so slow. I can gain weight so fast and by weight I mean fat. What would be the smartest route to go in your opinion? Thanks for all you do man.

What I would do first is address your tendency to put on bodyfat and try to eliminate any imbalances that you may have...be it nutritional imbalances, mechanical imbalances, even hormonal imbalances. son't have to simply accept significant fat gain when there seems to be no good explanation for it other than "that's how I am". Fix your metabolism first. If your metabolism is terribly slow then that's a sign that something is wrong or out of balance. Once you correct that, then I would focus on trying to build muscle and down the road, once you have developed a physique that you want to display, do a show.

Ox
12-06-12, 2:02 pm
Hey Ox, My friend damaged his right forearm during a lift and since then he's not able to train. Whenever he goes heavy his forearm starts to hurt. It's been two years now, He had like.. 17 inch guns and now he's down to 15 or something. We went to the doctor and had x-ray also, there was nothing wrong with his bone and stuff.. but we can't find a solution. Do you think that Animal Flex would work? What shall we do?

Considering he has been unable to train, it sounds like he is in a lot of pain. He may want to consider the opinion of another doctor. In the event he still comes up empty handed, I would go see a GOOD massage therapist. Anyone who is good at what they do will be able to feel around in there and figure out what is giving your friend so much pain. My guess, without knwoing much about what happened, is that there was an injury and consequent scar tissue formation and or adhesions. If that is the case, a good massage therapist should be able to get in there, open the tissue up so fresh blood can get to the injury and help break up scar tissue. Animal Flex is a supplement that I would use as an insurance policy. Making Animal Pak, Omega and Flex your must-have foundation supps will help ensure your body is getting what it needs to help prevent injury and stay healthy. I would definitely consider making Flex a part of my regimen if I were him.

Ox
12-06-12, 2:14 pm
Hi Evan,

first of all i hope that you and your family is alright and healthy :).

Maybe you dont remember me anymore , but i met you some years ago at the fibo( the guy who didnt had the courage to talk to you haha ).. right now i am kind of depressed and dont know what to do.. i feel stressed when i train i dont know what my principles where and i keep trying routines and things i would never do such things in the past..i really dont know what to do actually.. so what i would like you to ask if you could share your mindset what you are looking for when you train.. like a specific feeling or hit some rep ranges.. im mostly confused about going to failure or not i had this thing so much on my mind.. and dont know which way is right like 3 sets till i cant lift no more or like 5 sets with increase in weight i always want to do things right.. in the past i always cared for the maximum feeling in the 6-10 range.. it would be really helpful for me if you could motivate me a bit or something.. if you have the time of course .

PS : sorry if my english is bad

Wish you all the best :)

Hey man. I remember someone being too shy to say hello but I do not remember your face. Oh well, I'm sure I will see you again and when I do, I will remember you!

If I could offer any suggestion it would be to clear your head. When you go to the gym the purpose is to work your body and more specifically, certain muscle groups. When we say "work" what we mean is using your muscles in a capacity they are not normally used...pushing them to where they want to stop or fail. By doing so, we make the muscle bigger and stringer because the body feels it necessary to do so to keep up with the work you are asking it to do. So, to answer your question,when you train a muscle, the goal is to push until the muscle won't contract any longer=failure. If you want to work in the 6-10 range then that's fine...but the objective is not to simply do x # of reps but to FAIL at # number of reps. If you wish to fail around 6-10 but fail at 20, the weight is too light. If you get 9 reps and CANNOT complete another rep, you had a successful set. I wouldn't worry as much about the movements right now as I would try to focus more on training to failure in general, regardless of the exercise.

As for motivation, you're on your own. The prospect of changing yourself for the better through proper weight training and nutrition is all the incentive you need.

Just go in the gym and push yourself.

Good luck!

Gio71
12-07-12, 8:16 am
Hey man. I remember someone being too shy to say hello but I do not remember your face. Oh well, I'm sure I will see you again and when I do, I will remember you!

If I could offer any suggestion it would be to clear your head. When you go to the gym the purpose is to work your body and more specifically, certain muscle groups. When we say "work" what we mean is using your muscles in a capacity they are not normally used...pushing them to where they want to stop or fail. By doing so, we make the muscle bigger and stringer because the body feels it necessary to do so to keep up with the work you are asking it to do. So, to answer your question,when you train a muscle, the goal is to push until the muscle won't contract any longer=failure. If you want to work in the 6-10 range then that's fine...but the objective is not to simply do x # of reps but to FAIL at # number of reps. If you wish to fail around 6-10 but fail at 20, the weight is too light. If you get 9 reps and CANNOT complete another rep, you had a successful set. I wouldn't worry as much about the movements right now as I would try to focus more on training to failure in general, regardless of the exercise.

As for motivation, you're on your own. The prospect of changing yourself for the better through proper weight training and nutrition is all the incentive you need.

Just go in the gym and push yourself.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help, that was like my mindset back then thats what i needed right now.

Thank you alot , you motivate so many people out there ( and me ) true inspiration and not only in bodybuilding.

Wish you all the best !

In Flames
12-10-12, 12:46 pm
Hey Ox. When you were following Keto during the beginning of this thread, the diet you posted on page 2, did you add 1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil to each of your protein shakes or was the peanut butter enough fat for the shakes? I saw an old video when you were doing keto and you added it to each shake. I love the simplicity of your diet and it works amazing for me. The only difference is i don't eat breakfast, makes my feel sluggish, so I just have a 50 gram Whey shake with coffee in the morning.

Here's the diet you post.

"Here's what my diet looks like pre-contest:

Meal 1: 6 Whole eggs (Eggland's Best)

Meal 2: 1.5 scoops Universal Egg Protein, 1.5 Scoops Universal Specialized Protein for gaining lean Mass, 2 tbsp all natural peanut butter

Meal 3: 8 oz chicken, 2 cups green salad, 1/2 cup raw almonds

Meal 4: same as meal 2

Meal 5: 8 oz salmon, 2 cups green salad, 1tbsp olive oil

Meal 6: same as meals 2+4

This diet is a foundation. I use this diet year-round. The only thing that changes is that in the offseason, I add 1/2 cup of oatmeal to each shake and add 40-50g of carbs to the whole food meals. For carbs it can be oats, white rice, sweet potato. Whatever appeals to me aside from bread or sugars. I also add 3 scoops of Torrent PWO in the offseason.

Ox
12-10-12, 7:09 pm
Hey Ox. When you were following Keto during the beginning of this thread, the diet you posted on page 2, did you add 1-2 tablespoons of Olive Oil to each of your protein shakes or was the peanut butter enough fat for the shakes? I saw an old video when you were doing keto and you added it to each shake. I love the simplicity of your diet and it works amazing for me. The only difference is i don't eat breakfast, makes my feel sluggish, so I just have a 50 gram Whey shake with coffee in the morning.

Here's the diet you post.

"Here's what my diet looks like pre-contest:

Meal 1: 6 Whole eggs (Eggland's Best)

Meal 2: 1.5 scoops Universal Egg Protein, 1.5 Scoops Universal Specialized Protein for gaining lean Mass, 2 tbsp all natural peanut butter

Meal 3: 8 oz chicken, 2 cups green salad, 1/2 cup raw almonds

Meal 4: same as meal 2

Meal 5: 8 oz salmon, 2 cups green salad, 1tbsp olive oil

Meal 6: same as meals 2+4

This diet is a foundation. I use this diet year-round. The only thing that changes is that in the offseason, I add 1/2 cup of oatmeal to each shake and add 40-50g of carbs to the whole food meals. For carbs it can be oats, white rice, sweet potato. Whatever appeals to me aside from bread or sugars. I also add 3 scoops of Torrent PWO in the offseason.

That diet got me pretty far! At this point, it wouldn't cut it. But proteins and healthy fats should serve as a base for most diets with carbohydrates being the thing that gets adjusted. To answer your question, if you use oil, use 1 tbsp. If you use peanut butter, use 2 tbsp. 1tbsp of oil has 16g or so of fat and so does 2 tbsp of peanut butter. The peanut butter will do a slightly better job at keeping you full and keeping weight on whereas the oil will burn much quicker and will give you energy but won't do as much to keep weight on you.

Ox
12-10-12, 7:09 pm
Thank you so much for your help, that was like my mindset back then thats what i needed right now.

Thank you alot , you motivate so many people out there ( and me ) true inspiration and not only in bodybuilding.

Wish you all the best !

Thanks man. Glad it helped some.

ChalkyPalms
12-10-12, 7:50 pm
Hey big man, what shows you planning on being at this year? Not necessarily competing in but I'd love to meet you and alot of others of course and it's a goal of mine to make it to some of the bigger shows this year. I'm really trying to make it up to the Arnold and my own plans would be qualifying for North Americans. No reason I shouldn't, but all after a load of work and due time of course. Hope training is going well! Keep inspiring man.

Ox
12-12-12, 9:42 am
Hey big man, what shows you planning on being at this year? Not necessarily competing in but I'd love to meet you and alot of others of course and it's a goal of mine to make it to some of the bigger shows this year. I'm really trying to make it up to the Arnold and my own plans would be qualifying for North Americans. No reason I shouldn't, but all after a load of work and due time of course. Hope training is going well! Keep inspiring man.

Hey Chalky. Not 100% sure yet but I have a good idea of what my comp plans look like for the year. Once I'm sure, I'll let everyone know. I won't be competing in the Arnold but my guess is that I will be there with Universal...but don't quote me as it's not official yet. If you're going to make it to any one show, the Arnold is the one you should aim for! Hope to meet you in the near future. All the best in your training! Keep on.

Solid Dreams
12-12-12, 1:11 pm
Hey Evan, I was wondering, considering how rough bbing tends to be on the liver (and everything else we do to it) do you take anything for it other than the pak?

Thanks man, hope we get to see where you're going soon!

GymDad
12-12-12, 1:39 pm
Hi Evan, new here to the forums, anyway I am 43 years old have been lifting for about 4 years when I started I was 263 fat pounds I have gotten down to 209 now I'm up to 225 I have put on some good muscle and now working on my eating to get this spare tire gone but have been taking it easy since they found 2 cysts on my right testicule, anyway waiting to find out about that, my question for you is of the animal supplements which ones can you not live without?? I have never used the animal brand and am wanting to try them, also I just started one of the workouts on the animal site I think it is workout #3 and tomorrow I'd back day well my gym doesn't have a T-bar machine is there something I could substitute for it??? Thanks so much

Solid Dreams
12-12-12, 3:17 pm
Hi Evan, new here to the forums, anyway I am 43 years old have been lifting for about 4 years when I started I was 263 fat pounds I have gotten down to 209 now I'm up to 225 I have put on some good muscle and now working on my eating to get this spare tire gone but have been taking it easy since they found 2 cysts on my right testicule, anyway waiting to find out about that, my question for you is of the animal supplements which ones can you not live without?? I have never used the animal brand and am wanting to try them, also I just started one of the workouts on the animal site I think it is workout #3 and tomorrow I'd back day well my gym doesn't have a T-bar machine is there something I could substitute for it??? Thanks so much

I'm not Evan, but if you dont have the machine, you can take a bar, stick it in a corner, and do the rows that way.

GymDad
12-12-12, 7:25 pm
I'm not Evan, but if you dont have the machine, you can take a bar, stick it in a corner, and do the rows that way.

Thanks man I will do that

Mattman33
12-12-12, 7:47 pm
Hey Ox...I copied this post from another thread and wanted to say thanks, as well as ask about your dosing.

Benfotiamine, a patented form of thiamine, is also a good consideration as it's been proven to reduce glycation (the process where sugar in the blood causes damage to the walls of the arteries. From what I understand, if you are diabetic, you are automatically considered a candidate for a heart attack and that's because blood sugar damages the walls of the blood vessels and arteries and plaque(made of cholesterol) is the scar tissue that forms to "repair" the damage. Considering the fact that even though almost every makle (and even females now) over 30 is put on some type of cholesterol managing med there has been NO decrease in the incidence of heart attacks in this country, in my humble opinion it doesn't seem like cholesterol itself is the problem. It makes more sense to prevent glycation and oxidative damage from occuring than reducing cholesterol. It's better to not have a hole in your roof to begin with than try to divert the water that is bound to flow through it. The water isn't the problem, it's the hole in the roof! Just like you'll never stop it from raining, you'll never stop cholesterol from circulating in your blood (even if you didn't take in ANY through your diet, your body will still produce it and rightfully so!), it's best to just prevent damage from occurring in the first place.

I am always reading and trying to learn as much as I can. I took the time to look benfotiamine up and found it to be very intriguing. There were alot of comments about nervous system support, enough that I decided to test the waters. I have minor nerve damage down my leg and into my foot. It is nothing major, but enough that I cant do body weight calf raises. It could be mental, but I am seeing an improvement and actually can support myself on my toes.

so how much do you suggest to take? I started out slow and have been gradually ramping it up, but just wondered if it was too much.

Thanks again!

In Flames
12-13-12, 11:23 pm
That diet got me pretty far! At this point, it wouldn't cut it. But proteins and healthy fats should serve as a base for most diets with carbohydrates being the thing that gets adjusted. To answer your question, if you use oil, use 1 tbsp. If you use peanut butter, use 2 tbsp. 1tbsp of oil has 16g or so of fat and so does 2 tbsp of peanut butter. The peanut butter will do a slightly better job at keeping you full and keeping weight on whereas the oil will burn much quicker and will give you energy but won't do as much to keep weight on you.

Thanks Evan. How much protein can somebody consume in one sitting that will actually be used? I've heard your body can only take in so much at once. Is 50 grams too much at once? I always do 2 scoops per shake I've seen you do 3 scoops (75 grams) in your shakes.

its Lbc
12-17-12, 12:20 pm
Evan!!

Whats goin on Brotha?

Its been awhile since i posted in the thread... i seen your video on MD stating your not competing at the Arnold this year. Also My heart goes out to your family, and i think its an honorable thing, your doing a body cleanse along side your old man. That Says a lot about the type of person you are man for real. many people would never think of stepping up to the plate in that matter. Much respect Evan!

on another note.How is your off season looking? just want to see what your diet is looking like? also if youve changed up your training split. And what your goals are for the off season?? i know you briefly touched base on this in the video. but more in depth like how many meals in a day or Caloric intake?

Andy De Anda
12-17-12, 2:13 pm
Hi evan,
i have a question is it better to train arms together or with chest and triceps like ive seen you do on videos?
ive been training for a year and a half and i feel like my arms are lagging

thanks

Sup3rCell
12-19-12, 1:07 pm
Hey Evan,

I was wondering what books have you read to learn more about detoxification.. In your recent video by Animal you referenced the author of a book that you say you often refer to... I too am trying to learn more about detoxification of the body and love to read... So was just wondering what the name of the book was and if you can recommend any other ones.

Thanks again and keeping your dad in my prayers

Gio71
12-23-12, 10:39 am
Hey Evan,

just wanted to wish you and your family a merry christmas and much health and joy.

keep doing what you do , you're awesome !

i know that i dont know your dad, but it doesnt matter, i really hope that everything will be good again, just heared it in the interview..

Best wishes from me :)

N. Motta
12-30-12, 12:52 am
Evan, hey man hope everything is going good with you. I never mentioned it myself to you, but like everyone else it was really admirable what you did to help Chris. Very cool.

Wanted to ask you if you would briefly offer your opinion on the Paleo eating movement. Is it the type of nutritional system that can actually offer as many health benefits as it claims? I'm not a bodybuilder, but if done correctly do you think it could lend itself well to strength training and maintaining lean muscle mass?

Also, in reference to staying away from garbage, processed carbohydrate sources; is there any reason to believe that things as simple as rice or plain oatmeal are in the same league, health wise, as processed carbs? I had a coworker say that he didn't trust the claimed health benefits of oatmeal. I have always thought of oats as a very healthy, convenient and cost effective carb source.

AmericanMade88
12-30-12, 7:35 pm
Evan, I know that a lot of us on here are inspired by you, your humbleness, and your passion for the sport. Looking back, who were some of your inspirations that in some way have helped you get to where you are today, and in what way did they inspire you? (Bodybuilders or those outside of the sport) I cannot express how much you have helped me in taking a more active approach in helping others, and not being egotistic. Thank you.

Ox
01-05-13, 8:26 pm
Hey Evan, I was wondering, considering how rough bbing tends to be on the liver (and everything else we do to it) do you take anything for it other than the pak?

Thanks man, hope we get to see where you're going soon!

The liver is in some sense, the MASTER organ. Damn near everything revolves around the health of the liver. I use a few things to try and help the cause:

NAC- 600 mg 2x a day; glutathione precursor

Ubiquinol- 200 mg 2x a day; potent antioxidant

Systemic Enzymes- 6 tabs 2x during the night; help to reduce inflammation, improve circulation and blood flow and in regard to liver function they help CLEAN THE BLOOD

Essiac Tea- 1/4 cup mixed with hot water and drunk before bed on an empty stomach; helps to clean the blood and detoxify the entire body

Also: pretty much anything that cleanses/detoxifies the body will inevitably aid the liver. Making sure to drink plenty of water and include enough fiber in the diet will help with improving elimination. When you don't go to the bathroom regularly, that means toxins are sitting stagnant in your body. And of course, one of the best things you can do is avoid, when possible, unnecessary ingestion of chemicals. Be it from poor quality water, food packaging like plastics, pesticides and chemical and hormones in food etc etc...these are all things that will pollute your body and end up taxing your liver. An overall healthy lifestyle, regular exercise, a solid diet and plenty of rest will all help your body.

Ox
01-05-13, 8:31 pm

First and foremost, I hope the results of the test were good. Second, congrats on some tremendous progress! Now, for your question, that's a tough one. There are 3 Animal products I am very close with. One, obviously is Pak. Second is Omega. Third is Nitro. Pak is THE original foundation supplement; pretty mcuh everything comes after Pak as vitmains and minerals are crucial. Omega is a close second though as EFAs are right up there with vitamins and minerals. And Nitro just works so damn good! All things considered though, it's gotta be Pak.

Ox
01-05-13, 8:33 pm

Thatta boy

Ox
01-05-13, 8:35 pm
Hey Ox...I copied this post from another thread and wanted to say thanks, as well as ask about your dosing.

I am always reading and trying to learn as much as I can. I took the time to look benfotiamine up and found it to be very intriguing. There were alot of comments about nervous system support, enough that I decided to test the waters. I have minor nerve damage down my leg and into my foot. It is nothing major, but enough that I cant do body weight calf raises. It could be mental, but I am seeing an improvement and actually can support myself on my toes.

so how much do you suggest to take? I started out slow and have been gradually ramping it up, but just wondered if it was too much.

Thanks again!

Very nice! That sounds encouraging. I use 250mg 2x a day.

Ox
01-05-13, 8:36 pm
Thanks Evan. How much protein can somebody consume in one sitting that will actually be used? I've heard your body can only take in so much at once. Is 50 grams too much at once? I always do 2 scoops per shake I've seen you do 3 scoops (75 grams) in your shakes.

I think it's different for everyone. It would make sense to me that I can take in more protein and effectively utilize it at one time than my grandma can. How much is right for you or me? Tough to say.

Solid Dreams
01-05-13, 10:00 pm
The liver is in some sense, the MASTER organ. Damn near everything revolves around the health of the liver. I use a few things to try and help the cause:

NAC- 600 mg 2x a day; glutathione precursor

Ubiquinol- 200 mg 2x a day; potent antioxidant

Systemic Enzymes- 6 tabs 2x during the night; help to reduce inflammation, improve circulation and blood flow and in regard to liver function they help CLEAN THE BLOOD

Essiac Tea- 1/4 cup mixed with hot water and drunk before bed on an empty stomach; helps to clean the blood and detoxify the entire body

Also: pretty much anything that cleanses/detoxifies the body will inevitably aid the liver. Making sure to drink plenty of water and include enough fiber in the diet will help with improving elimination. When you don't go to the bathroom regularly, that means toxins are sitting stagnant in your body. And of course, one of the best things you can do is avoid, when possible, unnecessary ingestion of chemicals. Be it from poor quality water, food packaging like plastics, pesticides and chemical and hormones in food etc etc...these are all things that will pollute your body and end up taxing your liver. An overall healthy lifestyle, regular exercise, a solid diet and plenty of rest will all help your body.

I appreciate that Ox, I knew you'd have some good things to suggest. Been a bit worried because I don't want to cause any unknown damage, since we can't sit here and scan our organs any time we want (unless we're ridiculously rich, I guess).

Ox
01-06-13, 10:34 am
Evan!!

Whats goin on Brotha?

Its been awhile since i posted in the thread... i seen your video on MD stating your not competing at the Arnold this year. Also My heart goes out to your family, and i think its an honorable thing, your doing a body cleanse along side your old man. That Says a lot about the type of person you are man for real. many people would never think of stepping up to the plate in that matter. Much respect Evan!

on another note.How is your off season looking? just want to see what your diet is looking like? also if youve changed up your training split. And what your goals are for the off season?? i know you briefly touched base on this in the video. but more in depth like how many meals in a day or Caloric intake?

Thanks man. I bought my father a juicer for Christmas and one for myself as well. Money well spent...I've been juicing a ton of veggies and a little fruit each morning and I love it.

Offseason is going really well. I've held 265 between the Olympia and last week. January 1st I began the process of putting on size for the upcoming year. But as of right now, I feel great and am really happy with the point I'm starting from. As always, the goal is to add as much thickness as possible! I was eating 4 meals a day and recently bumped it to 5. I don't count calories so I can't say for sure. If I had to guess I would say between 4 and 5k.

Ox
01-06-13, 10:35 am
Hi evan,
i have a question is it better to train arms together or with chest and triceps like ive seen you do on videos?
ive been training for a year and a half and i feel like my arms are lagging

thanks

If you really need to increase arm development then I believe it's best to dedicate a full training day just to arms.

Ox
01-06-13, 10:36 am
Hey Evan,

I was wondering what books have you read to learn more about detoxification.. In your recent video by Animal you referenced the author of a book that you say you often refer to... I too am trying to learn more about detoxification of the body and love to read... So was just wondering what the name of the book was and if you can recommend any other ones.

Thanks again and keeping your dad in my prayers

The name of the book I often refer to is "Healing with Whole Foods" by Paul Pitchford. Excellent book. Start here. This book can keep you busy for a LONG time.

Ox
01-06-13, 11:55 am
Hey Evan,

just wanted to wish you and your family a merry christmas and much health and joy.

keep doing what you do , you're awesome !

i know that i dont know your dad, but it doesnt matter, i really hope that everything will be good again, just heared it in the interview..

Best wishes from me :)

Hey man Happy New Year. Hope the holidays were good for you. I really appreciate you taking the time to wish my father well. Thanks and all the best!

Ox
01-06-13, 12:06 pm
Evan, hey man hope everything is going good with you. I never mentioned it myself to you, but like everyone else it was really admirable what you did to help Chris. Very cool.

Wanted to ask you if you would briefly offer your opinion on the Paleo eating movement. Is it the type of nutritional system that can actually offer as many health benefits as it claims? I'm not a bodybuilder, but if done correctly do you think it could lend itself well to strength training and maintaining lean muscle mass?

Also, in reference to staying away from garbage, processed carbohydrate sources; is there any reason to believe that things as simple as rice or plain oatmeal are in the same league, health wise, as processed carbs? I had a coworker say that he didn't trust the claimed health benefits of oatmeal. I have always thought of oats as a very healthy, convenient and cost effective carb source.

If somebody think enough of you to reach out to you and ask for your help, if it's possible for you to do so, how do you say no?

I think Paleo makes a good deal of sense. Unfortunately, much of the modern food supply is loaded with chemicals, hormones and various toxins. The animal protein that humans were eating thousands of years ago was wild vs. domesticated. Food that people hunted and gathered was wild and untouched and of much greater quality than today's selection. So it apples to apples? Not really. Still, the types of food Paleo suggest does make sense in terms of health compared to many other ways of eating. Can it work for bodybuilding purposes? I don't see why not. Though grain does put weight on people pretty easily and I don't think that's part of the Paleo plan.

From a health standpoint, whole grains do contain more fiber and vitamins and minerals and that's a good thing and I would say that whole grains are healthier than processed grains. Are grains really necessary for optimal health? I don't think so. I it tough to successfully bodybuild without grains? Maybe. I think potatoes are one of the best carb sources out there; not a grain, not processed, no gluten (for those who have trouble with it), they digest well and they supply you with starchy carbs without the tendency to put weight on you up like grain does.

Ox
01-06-13, 12:07 pm
I appreciate that Ox, I knew you'd have some good things to suggest. Been a bit worried because I don't want to cause any unknown damage, since we can't sit here and scan our organs any time we want (unless we're ridiculously rich, I guess).

True. We can only do things that we think are in our best interest.

N. Motta
01-06-13, 1:29 pm
Thanks for the reply Ox. Really appreciate your time and sharing your knowledge.

iamthemacattack
01-08-13, 7:59 am
Hey Evan, hope all is good with you in this New Year.

A couple of quick queries regarding HIT training, what are your thoughts on this method of training. I have read a couple of Mike Mentzer books and there are some interesting points raised.

How often and long should you train and what sort of weekly split would you use?

Cheers Ox, all the best for this year of training. And congrats on your Olympia Placing

its Lbc
01-10-13, 7:25 pm
Thanks man. I bought my father a juicer for Christmas and one for myself as well. Money well spent...I've been juicing a ton of veggies and a little fruit each morning and I love it.

Offseason is going really well. I've held 265 between the Olympia and last week. January 1st I began the process of putting on size for the upcoming year. But as of right now, I feel great and am really happy with the point I'm starting from. As always, the goal is to add as much thickness as possible! I was eating 4 meals a day and recently bumped it to 5. I don't count calories so I can't say for sure. If I had to guess I would say between 4 and 5k.

Thats awesome! Yea a juicer is well worth the money! My breakfast atleast twice a week is via a juicer ahha drink it on the way to work!!! Sometimes lazy but oh well.

Sounds like your enjoying your off season, thats always a plus. I talk to some people at my local gym and all they do is talk about forcing calories down. On another note i though your chest and back at the O was greatly improved since last years Arnold. Ican only imaging ehat you go in store for your next show bro.

Ox
01-13-13, 12:43 pm
Thanks for the reply Ox. Really appreciate your time and sharing your knowledge.

Anytime pal. Thank you

Ox
01-13-13, 12:49 pm
Hey Evan, hope all is good with you in this New Year.

A couple of quick queries regarding HIT training, what are your thoughts on this method of training. I have read a couple of Mike Mentzer books and there are some interesting points raised.

How often and long should you train and what sort of weekly split would you use?

Cheers Ox, all the best for this year of training. And congrats on your Olympia Placing

I've never read Mentzer's books or articles but I have indirectly gotten bits and pieces of it. I think a lot of what he had to say made sense in terms of overtraining. But that being said, different individuals have different recuperative abilities. The bottom line is that you should train as hard as you need to and with as much volume as you can effectively recuperate from .

The answer to those questions vary. For me, I like to train 4-5 times a week and train one large bodypart each day/each week. Chest, back and legs each having their own day with arms and delts being combined on another day.

Ox
01-13-13, 12:52 pm
Thats awesome! Yea a juicer is well worth the money! My breakfast atleast twice a week is via a juicer ahha drink it on the way to work!!! Sometimes lazy but oh well.

Sounds like your enjoying your off season, thats always a plus. I talk to some people at my local gym and all they do is talk about forcing calories down. On another note i though your chest and back at the O was greatly improved since last years Arnold. Ican only imaging ehat you go in store for your next show bro.

That's cool. What do you normally juice?

Offseason is going well. I think that if you need to shovel so much food down that you feel sick, something is wrong. Better to work with your body than beat it into submission? If possible!

its Lbc
01-13-13, 5:00 pm
That's cool. What do you normally juice?

Mostly fruit blends...for some reason i tend to go a little excessive with kiwi's they hit the spot. But my usual is 2 kiwis, 2 clementines, a handful of strawberries, 1 cup of pineapple chunks, half a mango (not always though) with some coconut water....and ill eat a banana....i found that online a couple years ago and its the one i stuck with. I havent found a vegetable recipe i can stomach yet. Soo i tend to drink the real small v8 cans. Got any ideas for a vegetable juice? Thats not so thick? What do you favor with your juicer?

Sup3rCell
01-16-13, 2:40 am
Hey Evan,
Bodybuilding has been a part of your life for a very long time so I am sure you've come across and have tried the many different training styles that are out there... In general how would your high intensity workouts differ from your high volume workouts in terms of exercises per body part and working sets per exercise? What do you think is the benefit of each?

Thanks!

Ox
01-16-13, 9:15 am
Mostly fruit blends...for some reason i tend to go a little excessive with kiwi's they hit the spot. But my usual is 2 kiwis, 2 clementines, a handful of strawberries, 1 cup of pineapple chunks, half a mango (not always though) with some coconut water....and ill eat a banana....i found that online a couple years ago and its the one i stuck with. I havent found a vegetable recipe i can stomach yet. Soo i tend to drink the real small v8 cans. Got any ideas for a vegetable juice? Thats not so thick? What do you favor with your juicer?

Sounds delicious!

I try to make mine mostly vegetables so I don't rack up the sugar. Here's what I normally do:

1 large bunch kale
2 cucumbers
1 zucchini
2 green apples
6 carrots
1 medium bunch spinach

This gives me around 50 oz of juice so I drink 25 oz 2x a day. It's really not bad and you get a lot of GREEN with it which is what I'm after. To take the edge off the taste, I add a scoop of NOW psylium fiber that's orange flavored (sweetened with Stevia) and that works great. No joke, I probably shit 6 times a day and have ZERO bloat/heaviness in my stomach. My digestion has never been better.

Ox
01-16-13, 9:19 am
Hey Evan,
Bodybuilding has been a part of your life for a very long time so I am sure you've come across and have tried the many different training styles that are out there... In general how would your high intensity workouts differ from your high volume workouts in terms of exercises per body part and working sets per exercise? What do you think is the benefit of each?

Thanks!

I have to say, both can work. There IS something to be said for the "slow cooking" of a volume workout. I think volume training (assuming you don't OVERDO the volume) can help with fullness and roundness. The HIT I think is great for density and increasing strength. In all honesty, I do think anyone should stick solely to one method. Just the same, many will make the distinction between movements that are bodybuilding vs powerlifting. In reality bodybuilders can benefit from many power movements. I think that keeping an open mind and never limiting yourself to one ideology is smart.

Sup3rCell
01-16-13, 9:30 am
I know your workouts vary and you train based on instinct but if you were to give someone a good starting point in how to structure a HIT workout v.s volume workout in terms of exercises per body part and sets per exercise what would you advise? Obviously my body is different from yours but I am looking for a base which I can add to and/or subtract from!...

I have to say, both can work. There IS something to be said for the "slow cooking" of a volume workout. I think volume training (assuming you don't OVERDO the volume) can help with fullness and roundness. The HIT I think is great for density and increasing strength. In all honesty, I do think anyone should stick solely to one method. Just the same, many will make the distinction between movements that are bodybuilding vs powerlifting. In reality bodybuilders can benefit from many power movements. I think that keeping an open mind and never limiting yourself to one ideology is smart.

PLANETGETLOW
01-16-13, 2:05 pm
Evan, just a couple questions regarding your bulking phases.

#1 - How many times a year do you bulk?
#2 - How long is each bulk?
#3 - Clean or dirty?
#4 - If you had to estimate how much would you estimate do you pickup in bf%
#5 - What is your typical overall weight gain for a standard bulk?

Thanks in advance

its Lbc
01-16-13, 9:43 pm
1 large bunch kale
2 cucumbers
1 zucchini
2 green apples
6 carrots
1 medium bunch spinach

This gives me around 50 oz of juice so I drink 25 oz 2x a day. It's really not bad and you get a lot of GREEN with it which is what I'm after. To take the edge off the taste, I add a scoop of NOW psylium fiber that's orange flavored (sweetened with Stevia) and that works great. No joke, I probably shit 6 times a day and have ZERO bloat/heaviness in my stomach. My digestion has never been better.

No shit! Im going to have to give this a shot! My digestion is pretty regular...every now and then i seem to feel a little bit bloated. I take usually take a fiber drink in the morning and again around lunch time. Some days i miss it but rarely. This recipe sounds good to me. Without the fiber is it bland? Or does it have a distinct taste? I suppose i could put my fiber mix in there also. I got with the fruit in the morning for my energy im tryin to ween myself away from coffee...soo ive been drinking warm lemon water as a replacement lol im not sure if its working or not....but i sure do like coffee...

G Diesel
01-21-13, 5:06 pm
I see you at Arnold. We make photo, yes?

Peace, G

Ox
01-24-13, 8:05 pm
I know your workouts vary and you train based on instinct but if you were to give someone a good starting point in how to structure a HIT workout v.s volume workout in terms of exercises per body part and sets per exercise what would you advise? Obviously my body is different from yours but I am looking for a base which I can add to and/or subtract from!...

First, I would look at how many different ways you should hit the muscle. For example, for back you can do pulldowns, pullovers, barbell rows and deadlifts and each work the back differently. So for back, I'd say a min of 4 exercises. for biceps, they really only move one way. I don't feel you need more than 2 movements. Etc etc etc.

As for number of sets per exercise, with volume you would do...I don't know...I guess as many as you feel you need/as many as you can? For HIT you would do a warmup set or two and then one or two sets to FAILURE...for most movements like squat and bench, etc etc you will need a spot. How many reps? With HIT or volume training you should fail in the 8-12 range.

Ox
01-24-13, 8:07 pm
Evan, just a couple questions regarding your bulking phases.

#1 - How many times a year do you bulk?
#2 - How long is each bulk?
#3 - Clean or dirty?
#4 - If you had to estimate how much would you estimate do you pickup in bf%
#5 - What is your typical overall weight gain for a standard bulk?

Thanks in advance

1. Depends on how many times I compete and what happens to be going on with my body.
2. Again, depends...hiopefully at least 4 months
3. Mainly clean with some junk thrown in here and there
4. Maybe 6%?
5. 20-30 lbs

Ox
01-24-13, 8:11 pm
No shit! Im going to have to give this a shot! My digestion is pretty regular...every now and then i seem to feel a little bit bloated. I take usually take a fiber drink in the morning and again around lunch time. Some days i miss it but rarely. This recipe sounds good to me. Without the fiber is it bland? Or does it have a distinct taste? I suppose i could put my fiber mix in there also. I got with the fruit in the morning for my energy im tryin to ween myself away from coffee...soo ive been drinking warm lemon water as a replacement lol im not sure if its working or not....but i sure do like coffee...

The taste is pretty good. The kale gives it a slightly bitter bite but I've come to like it.

If you're a coffee lover, Nestle makes a product for sale in Portugal called Pensal. It's just like instant coffee but it's made from toasted barley. It has a great coffee like taste with no bitterness, no caffeine and I don't think it's acidic like coffee. You may be able to find it in your grocery store or online. There are a lot of Portuguese bakeries around me so I buy it there.

Here's a link to a pic of it

http://www.nestle.pt/Empresa/Common/NestleImages/PublishingImages/Brands/Bebidas/Bebidas%20de%20Cereais/PENSAL/203x311@_0191_Layer%207.jpg

Ox
01-24-13, 8:13 pm
I see you at Arnold. We make photo, yes?

Peace, G

So I am coming to Arnold. Ven I'm seeing you, we make photo.

PLANETGETLOW
01-25-13, 5:33 pm
1. Depends on how many times I compete and what happens to be going on with my body.
2. Again, depends...hiopefully at least 4 months
3. Mainly clean with some junk thrown in here and there
4. Maybe 6%?
5. 20-30 lbs

Damn dude, so almost 1/2 year bulking? I suppose I'm doing 3 months right now so 4 isn't that far off.

Do you notice any internal issues, kidney pain, etc?

G Diesel
01-28-13, 1:26 pm
Ev, here's a good question for you, since I know you're always experimenting with new methods and tools to become healthier and more efficient.

Do you eat yogurt or drink kefir or anything like that? I try to have some everyday as I think it helps with digestion. Was wondering what your read was on active cultures/probiotics.

Thanks bro.

Peace, G

Tbrat
01-28-13, 11:04 pm
Evan

Just wanted to drop in and thank you for the advice you gave me a while back, its gone a long way to helping me get towards my goals. Every day I wake up more motivated to get to where I want to be, not only in the gym but also to be the person I want to be.

Hope things are going well with you and the family.

Thanks again.

Ox
01-30-13, 9:32 am
Damn dude, so almost 1/2 year bulking? I suppose I'm doing 3 months right now so 4 isn't that far off.

Do you notice any internal issues, kidney pain, etc?

Nope. I feel good.

kcburrows
01-30-13, 9:46 am
Hey Evan,
this may seem like a different question but i wanted to try and take a more natural approach. DO you know any supps or natural things with will help increase appetite? I've seen one or two companies come out with products that help delay the feeling full and often allows you to digest quicker so you can eat more....or so it claims...but a lot of the reviews said all it does is cause upset stomach. and looking at the ingredients with the exception of the digestive enyzyme blend i have never heard of any of the shit in there. I currently am eating 6 times a day and really do force feed when necessary. you know the laying on the couch with your eyes closed cuz u feel like your gonna puke feeling until your metabolism kicks in!lol Eating 6 times a day consistently has helped with progress but i see some of these pros and ams eating 8 and 9 times a day and i want to get to that point but still after 6 months of consistent eating my body has adjusted to the food, but i still dont see how i can possibly eat anymore... any suggestions?? thanks ox for the advice!

Ox
01-30-13, 9:48 am
Ev, here's a good question for you, since I know you're always experimenting with new methods and tools to become healthier and more efficient.

Do you eat yogurt or drink kefir or anything like that? I try to have some everyday as I think it helps with digestion. Was wondering what your read was on active cultures/probiotics.

Thanks bro.

Peace, G

Hey bro. I'm not a huge fan of dairy though I do have the occasional yogurt. I think that for optimal digestive/probiotic support you need to supplement with something. In the past, perhaps this wasn't necessary but there are so many things that we currently do that do not support healthy gut flora; antibiotics, broad food diversity, chlorinated water, not eating enough raw foods. Basically, I don't think that a yogurt a day is enough. I've recently noticed a HUGE improvement in my digestion and appetite. I've made some changes so I don't know that I can attribute it to one specific things but between the addition of systemic enzymes and a good probiotic to my supplementation and adding lots of raw vegetable juice (lots of raw, fresh enzymes and prebiotic fiber) to my diet, my digestion has never been better. For a while, I was noticing a lot of food sensitivities and my appetite was not great. I think that the systemic enzymes help a great deal with detoxification/cleaning the blood and the immune benefits are tremendous. The juice gives you a bunch of enzymes and prebiotic fiber that you wouldn't otherwise get and the probiotic supp just rounds it out. I take 4-5 large dumps every day, I have no bloating or heaviness in my stomach, my appetite is way up and if I wanted to I could eat fired food with ice cream and wash it down with a beer and not have it mess my stomach up...that's highly unlike me to do so...but I could.

Ox
01-30-13, 9:48 am
Evan

Just wanted to drop in and thank you for the advice you gave me a while back, its gone a long way to helping me get towards my goals. Every day I wake up more motivated to get to where I want to be, not only in the gym but also to be the person I want to be.

Hope things are going well with you and the family.

Thanks again.

Hey man that's great to hear! Keep on. Thank you.

Ox
01-30-13, 9:55 am
Hey Evan,
this may seem like a different question but i wanted to try and take a more natural approach. DO you know any supps or natural things with will help increase appetite? I've seen one or two companies come out with products that help delay the feeling full and often allows you to digest quicker so you can eat more....or so it claims...but a lot of the reviews said all it does is cause upset stomach. and looking at the ingredients with the exception of the digestive enyzyme blend i have never heard of any of the shit in there. I currently am eating 6 times a day and really do force feed when necessary. you know the laying on the couch with your eyes closed cuz u feel like your gonna puke feeling until your metabolism kicks in!lol Eating 6 times a day consistently has helped with progress but i see some of these pros and ams eating 8 and 9 times a day and i want to get to that point but still after 6 months of consistent eating my body has adjusted to the food, but i still dont see how i can possibly eat anymore... any suggestions?? thanks ox for the advice!

You have to address the reason for the lack of appetite. If you're not hungry, you can't take something to allow you to just shovel more food down. If a fire isn't burning, the last thing you want to do is smother it with more wood. The way you are feeling and the approach you are taking is not good and is only going to make you sick.

1. Your body needs to demand the food. Hard, heavy training creates this demand.
2. Your metabolism is what will influence the rate at which nutrients are utilized...if your metabolism is "sick" heal it.
3. The health of your digestive system is KEY. If you are not regular, if your liver is tired, if your gut flora is out of whack etc etc your digestion will not be optimal.
4. Be sure you are eating foods that digest well for YOU.
5. Be realisitic. Your body is only going to grow at a certain rate and require an appropriate amount of food. Throwing more food at it isn't going to make it happen any faster. A flower requires water and sunshine to grow. But give it too much of either one and you will HURT it.

kcburrows
01-30-13, 9:58 am
You have to address the reason for the lack of appetite. If you're not hungry, you can't take something to allow you to just shovel more food down. If a fire isn't burning, the last thing you want to do is smother it with more wood. The way you are feeling and the approach you are taking is not good and is only going to make you sick.

1. Your body needs to demand the food. Hard, heavy training creates this demand.
2. Your metabolism is what will influence the rate at which nutrients are utilized...if your metabolism is "sick" heal it.
3. The health of your digestive system is KEY. If you are not regular, if your liver is tired, if your gut flora is out of whack etc etc your digestion will not be optimal.
4. Be sure you are eating foods that digest well for YOU.
5. Be realisitic. Your body is only going to grow at a certain rate and require an appropriate amount of food. Throwing more food at it isn't going to make it happen any faster. A flower requires water and sunshine to grow. But give it too much of either one and you will HURT it.

thanks evan, i really appreciate the solid advice!!!!

Sup3rCell
02-05-13, 12:55 am
Hey Evan,

How many grams of protein are there in per ounce of lean chicken breast, lean beef (eye round/top round/bottom round), and fish (both white and dark). A few articles and calorie counters I've checked state different numbers and a few of the pros seem to have their own opinions as well. Was hoping to get your insight on this.

Thanks!

Ox
02-06-13, 9:02 am
Hey Evan,

How many grams of protein are there in per ounce of lean chicken breast, lean beef (eye round/top round/bottom round), and fish (both white and dark). A few articles and calorie counters I've checked state different numbers and a few of the pros seem to have their own opinions as well. Was hoping to get your insight on this.

Thanks!

I always use nutritiondata.com for nutrition values. And I always go by the cooked values per ounce.

G Diesel
02-06-13, 9:58 am
A flower requires water and sunshine to grow. But give it too much of either one and you will HURT it.

Brilliant words. Noted for future reference.

Peace, G

iamthemacattack
02-08-13, 11:53 am
Ox,

I am going away on a family trip in April which means a week without any gym, but hey ho, sacrifices we have to make.

The place we are going is in the middle of nowhere so once my morning cardio is done and some bodyweight exercises I will mostly be sat around reading.

I was just wondering of any good nutrition/bodybuilding books you could suggest to keep me going?

Hope you and your family are well.

Ian

Aggression
02-14-13, 9:30 am
Are you still buried under snow or what, bro? How much did you end up getting? Was everything basically shut down? Saw some areas got up to 3ft of snow. Damn.

D-NUTZ
02-14-13, 1:20 pm
Hey! I know you!

Gio71
02-15-13, 7:51 am
Hey Evan :)

Since i decided to take a long time off, because i can't sleep well especially when i'm training, always *pissing* and cant fall in sleeo well.

But i want to stay lean while iam taking time off .

Would a diet with medium/high protein with a lot veggies/fruits and no starchy carb(almost none) and medium fat intake good to get and stay lean ?

nicklepore
02-24-13, 10:39 pm
Hey pal couple quick questions,
'
Do you think its necessary to eat veggies with each meal if I'm currently juicing them and drinking about 30 oz a day? Also is it worth it to cook the veggies for your meals, as I read a lot of the benefits are diminished after heating.

Also whats your preferred fiber supplement, I've been alternating back n forth between flora-lax and sugar free metamucil but cant determine which is working better.

Thanks.

Oldmanveins
02-24-13, 10:49 pm
Huge fan of yours. Especially how you put health and family first. I was wondering if you had ever tried Green Vibrance. Its a greens product by vibrant health based out of canaan ct. I read your article from this month in MD and i think its a product that you would like.

p.s. I believe you just met my friend Jeff Logan the other day at Powerhouse new haven when he was training with robbie. He was just my best man yesterday and nobody at my wedding believed that he was 23. haha.

DaveK
02-25-13, 11:26 pm
It was great seeing you at the UBC on Sunday. Thank you for making the trip with you busy schedule. You and Pat were very informative and inspirational. Thank You!

Shukin
02-25-13, 11:32 pm
It was great seeing you at the UBC on Sunday. Thank you for making the trip with you busy schedule. You and Pat were very informative and inspirational. Thank You!

I feel the same way. Thank you very much.

swollenreaper
02-27-13, 3:02 pm
even your awesome man look up to you i too was over weight when i moved to vegas from California i started working at a gym i later on in the year i started to lift with powerlifters and some bodybuilding friends that i had met working there i like both sports i recognized you at olympia expo a few years back and i said damn thats what i want to look like we took a pic that was awesome now i want to body build my question is whats the best way to do cardio so i dont lose mass and how long what machine and level do you recommend..and on my rep range on weight training what should if be i started eating fish with veggies...i take animal pak universal whey pro i will get torrent zero and proton 7 and atomic 7 will this be sufficient...

Ox
03-07-13, 8:03 am
Ox,

I am going away on a family trip in April which means a week without any gym, but hey ho, sacrifices we have to make.

The place we are going is in the middle of nowhere so once my morning cardio is done and some bodyweight exercises I will mostly be sat around reading.

I was just wondering of any good nutrition/bodybuilding books you could suggest to keep me going?

Hope you and your family are well.

Ian

Hey man, to be honest, I wouldn't bother with any bodybuilding books. I'd rather encourage you to spend your time reading something like "As a Man Thinketh"...this will positively affect your mindset and that's far more valuable. And if you really want something that talks about nutrition then "Healing with Whole Foods" by Paul Pitchford is a great book.

Ox
03-07-13, 8:05 am
Are you still buried under snow or what, bro? How much did you end up getting? Was everything basically shut down? Saw some areas got up to 3ft of snow. Damn.

By now it's almost all gone but bro, there was so much damn snow it was ridiculous. I measured 34" on my back patio. Obviously, there were some drifts that were really deep but on average, it was close to 3 ft. I don't remember anything like that. I didn't leave my house for a couple days. Hell, it took me 10 hours to shovel half my driveway (my entire driveway is about 400 ft). It was just crazy.

Ox
03-07-13, 8:06 am
Hey! I know you!

Hey pal it was great seeing you at the Arnold! Keep up the awesome work.

Ox
03-07-13, 8:08 am
Hey Evan :)

Since i decided to take a long time off, because i can't sleep well especially when i'm training, always *pissing* and cant fall in sleeo well.

But i want to stay lean while iam taking time off .

Would a diet with medium/high protein with a lot veggies/fruits and no starchy carb(almost none) and medium fat intake good to get and stay lean ?

Definitely. If you make it a point to pretty much eliminate grains and other starchy carbs and make protein and healthy fats the basis of your diet you are most likely going to stay pretty lean. I wouldn't go CRAZY with the fruit...I'd keep it mainly before working out or other exercise.

Determined.
03-07-13, 8:09 am
Evan if you were only able to workout once on these wha split would you use?

Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, and Saturday

I work construction and have a family and am
Young but still push to be the best I can. I would love to know how the training split you'd use of you were in my
Shoes

Ox
03-07-13, 8:17 am
Hey pal couple quick questions,
'
Do you think its necessary to eat veggies with each meal if I'm currently juicing them and drinking about 30 oz a day? Also is it worth it to cook the veggies for your meals, as I read a lot of the benefits are diminished after heating.

Also whats your preferred fiber supplement, I've been alternating back n forth between flora-lax and sugar free metamucil but cant determine which is working better.

Thanks.

Believe it or not, I do think it's still necessary to have veggies with each meal. If the meal is fish, you can maybe skip the veggies but with chicken I would say yes and if it's red meat then DEFINITELY. Since you're getting all that raw juice, it's okay to lightly steam your veggies. Keep in mind, one of the main reasons you're eating them with your protein is to keep the protein moving through your system and help balance the acid forming qualities of meat.

You're not crazy for bouncing back and forth between the two you mentioned; both work well but the positive effect of each seems short lived. With fiber, the ideal combination I've found is Flora-Lax (40%) combined with Yerba Prima psylium (40%) and NOW orange flavored(sweetened with stevia) psylium (20%). Take an empty container and mix them up accordingly and I promise you will have the best tasting AND most effective fiber product you've ever used.

Good seeing you at the Arnold pal. I heard you injured your pec and I'm really sorry about that. That really sucks man. Give me a call in your downtime if you feel up to it.

Ox
03-07-13, 8:21 am
Huge fan of yours. Especially how you put health and family first. I was wondering if you had ever tried Green Vibrance. Its a greens product by vibrant health based out of canaan ct. I read your article from this month in MD and i think its a product that you would like.

p.s. I believe you just met my friend Jeff Logan the other day at Powerhouse new haven when he was training with robbie. He was just my best man yesterday and nobody at my wedding believed that he was 23. haha.

I trid Green Vibrance years ago and didn't like it. It messed my stomach up and gave me intolerable gas! So I ditched it. Too many ingredients in my opinion. I think my body works best with simple supplements and foods...too many ingredients never seems like a good thing for my digestion.

Yup! I met that freak. Holy shit, it's been a while since I've seen a young guy with a serious build. That is one thick kid and if he continues on and does what he needs to do he's gonna tear shit up! I look forward to seeing it. And he seems like a genuinely nice kid too. Give him my best.

Ox
03-07-13, 8:56 am

Hey man the UBC was a blast. Great gym, great people, great advice being offered...overall I thought it was an awesome event. I wish I had things like that to go to when I was younger! And Pat was really informative...I learned a thing or two!

Ox
03-07-13, 8:56 am
I feel the same way. Thank you very much.

Shukin! Great to finally meet you!

Ox
03-07-13, 9:38 am
even your awesome man look up to you i too was over weight when i moved to vegas from California i started working at a gym i later on in the year i started to lift with powerlifters and some bodybuilding friends that i had met working there i like both sports i recognized you at olympia expo a few years back and i said damn thats what i want to look like we took a pic that was awesome now i want to body build my question is whats the best way to do cardio so i dont lose mass and how long what machine and level do you recommend..and on my rep range on weight training what should if be i started eating fish with veggies...i take animal pak universal whey pro i will get torrent zero and proton 7 and atomic 7 will this be sufficient...

The best answer I can give you is to only do as much as is necessary. Start out walking on the treadmill 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes. An incline of 6 at 3 mph is a good place to start. See what kind of results you get. If your body changes then keep doing it until the progress stops. Then you can increase the frequency to every day. Then once you plateau again, you can increase the intensity. Get it? The idea is to only do as much as you have to to illicit a change. Your supps look fine. You may want to add Animal Omega though...it's right there with Pak in terms if importance. Your weight training shouldn't change...do what you usually do. fish with veggies is good but feel free to include other protein sources too.

Ox
03-07-13, 9:40 am
Evan if you were only able to workout once on these wha split would you use?

Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, and Saturday

I work construction and have a family and am
Young but still push to be the best I can. I would love to know how the training split you'd use of you were in my
Shoes

Mon- Quads and Hams
Tues- Chest and Abs
Wednesday- Delts and Calves
Thursday- Back
Saturday- Arms

That's how I'd do it.

Determined.
03-07-13, 10:11 am
Mon- Quads and Hams
Tues- Chest and Abs
Wednesday- Delts and Calves
Thursday- Back
Saturday- Arms

That's how I'd do it.

Thanks for your time Evan

keepitheavy42
03-07-13, 10:32 am
I wouldnt say i have neglected working out my bicepes and tricepes but it is a weak point of mine.. Im not one to only work arms either, tues I deadlifted on my back day.I pulled 315 for 10, 415 for 8 and 500 for 6 weighing in at 210lbs.Over all i dont work more of one body part then the other, i try to keep everything in proportion I just wanted some help in getting max height and thickness in my bicepes and tricepes.. I would like to get some tips or advice from you guys because after going to the Arnold and to the CAGE my eyes are finally open... Def going again next year

Gio71
03-07-13, 11:18 am
Definitely. If you make it a point to pretty much eliminate grains and other starchy carbs and make protein and healthy fats the basis of your diet you are most likely going to stay pretty lean. I wouldn't go CRAZY with the fruit...I'd keep it mainly before working out or other exercise.

Ok. Thank you very much as always :)

swollenreaper
03-07-13, 2:38 pm
The best answer I can give you is to only do as much as is necessary. Start out walking on the treadmill 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes. An incline of 6 at 3 mph is a good place to start. See what kind of results you get. If your body changes then keep doing it until the progress stops. Then you can increase the frequency to every day. Then once you plateau again, you can increase the intensity. Get it? The idea is to only do as much as you have to to illicit a change. Your supps look fine. You may want to add Animal Omega though...it's right there with Pak in terms if importance. Your weight training shouldn't change...do what you usually do. fish with veggies is good but feel free to include other protein sources too.

Thanks Even I appreciated alot ...ok will do...is cardio better after working out or before..ill include chicken

ryanreign
03-07-13, 5:35 pm
Hey Evan, I know you are a big believer in eating a solid meal relatively close to when you begin your workout. I was just wondering how this affects when and what (if any) pre-workout supplement you might take? Thanks for your time

ENDLESSjourney
03-10-13, 1:04 am
I have a few questions that I've been struggling with to answer myself. It would be useful to me to answer them in both offseason and cutting phases also. Also, I am one to take whole foods as opposed to shakes if I can help it.

1) I work 12 hour shifts and sometimes I lift a little before bed, what would be the best food/supplements to take post work out but also before bed?

2) I like taking some honey each day, is there a specific time in the day that it would be best?

Ox
03-10-13, 2:57 pm
I wouldnt say i have neglected working out my bicepes and tricepes but it is a weak point of mine.. Im not one to only work arms either, tues I deadlifted on my back day.I pulled 315 for 10, 415 for 8 and 500 for 6 weighing in at 210lbs.Over all i dont work more of one body part then the other, i try to keep everything in proportion I just wanted some help in getting max height and thickness in my bicepes and tricepes.. I would like to get some tips or advice from you guys because after going to the Arnold and to the CAGE my eyes are finally open... Def going again next year

That's some strong deadlifting! I'd give arms their own day and go to town on them just like any other bodypart. I'd offer the usual advice; 3 movements each for both bis and tris and 3-4 sets per movement. For biceps I'd do two bigger movements like dumbell and barbell curls and then something like a cable curl. For triceps I'd do the same; maybe overhead dumbell extensions, skullcrushers and rope extensions.

Ox
03-10-13, 2:58 pm
Thanks Even I appreciated alot ...ok will do...is cardio better after working out or before..ill include chicken

I'd do cardio either on it's own away from training or immediately after training. Never do cardio right before training.

Ox
03-10-13, 2:59 pm
Hey Evan, I know you are a big believer in eating a solid meal relatively close to when you begin your workout. I was just wondering how this affects when and what (if any) pre-workout supplement you might take? Thanks for your time

I don't use any supps pre-workout. But when I'm dietting I pop Nitro packs throughout the workout and during cardio. Offseason I do 3 scoops of Torrent and 20g of glutamine during training.

Ox
03-10-13, 3:00 pm
I have a few questions that I've been struggling with to answer myself. It would be useful to me to answer them in both offseason and cutting phases also. Also, I am one to take whole foods as opposed to shakes if I can help it.

1) I work 12 hour shifts and sometimes I lift a little before bed, what would be the best food/supplements to take post work out but also before bed?

2) I like taking some honey each day, is there a specific time in the day that it would be best?

1. Same as you would if you trained during the day (obviously no stims)

2. Preferably before training. Honey is primarily fructose so you don't want to take it when you will be sedentary.

djjohnnied
03-12-13, 10:56 am
Hey Evan! wanted to say you're an inspiration to me, because I too was very overweight all my life. By age 15 I was 230 lbs. and about 5'4", my question is in regards to the product of this obesity.

Since I was so overweight my waist was about 40", I lost a tremendous amount of weight and fast forward 5 years later and now I am 5'8" at 170 with a 30" waist. Bodybuilding is my passion and my goal is to become a competitive bodybuilder. I am fairly lean (I can see my abs and nice vascularity etc) but I have a lot of loose skin around my belly, it looks really bad and appears as if it were fat, but I have determined it's loose skin/water just because the texture and the way it ripples. Did you have this problem when you lost all the weight? and what would you recommend to counter it? thanks OX!

In Flames
03-12-13, 3:59 pm
Hey Ox.

What are your thoughts on short rest periods between sets and super-set style of workouts. This style of training was extremely popular back in the Golden-Era of Bodybuilding by Pro's such as Danny Padilla, Samir Bannout, Vince Gironda and Serge Nubret. High volume with very short rests between sets, no longer than a minute and usually around 30 seconds. Padilla usually always performed 5 sets of 12 reps using the same weight on each set with 30 second rest periods. Once he reached 12 reps on all 5 sets he would then add weight. Serge Nubret also trained in this same exact style. And to me I think the Golden-Era of Bodybuilding had some of the most aesthetic physiques.

I've been performing these types of workouts and I fell in love with them. The pumps are incredible and the workouts act as a cardio session as well which is a plus.

Wondering your specific thoughts on this training style and if you've ever performed any workouts like these.

Thanks Ox!

jwill
03-15-13, 5:19 pm
Ox,

What's up OX. New to the ANIMALPAK....Working on getting back into shape, drop a few pounds and work towards gaining muscle mass and strength back. Staying motivated by going to the gym on a routine basis right now. My son has helped motivated me again as i am a 20 year military veteran and fell off the wagon for a few years putting on an extra 30 lbs due to various injuries and lake of structure. I have started back up and looking forward to the positive results i see each day/week/month of working out. I am currently doing about 1.5 hours weights and .5 of cardio. I am taking ConCrete pre workout and doing Various Protein shakes for post and at times in between meals or as a meal shake. Anyone got a solid routine for me as i have been doing various items each day i hit the gym now for about 1 month and am looking at now my body is used to more pain tolerence to get a good solid routine that i can reap the results. Look forward to hearing from you.

Bark@theMoon
03-21-13, 6:27 pm
Ox! What's up buddy? Just wanted to say I'm a huge fan n throw some support your way. Recently saw some videos of you n Derrick Poundstone banggin some plate around. Might of been old but I'm a little behind on the times when it comes to technology haha. Props on tryin out each others styles. You truley are an ox and that dudes a fuckin moose. Much respect brotha!

C.Coronato
03-22-13, 2:58 pm
2 weeks out over here! Thank you for all the continued inspiration my brother.

N. Motta
03-28-13, 12:48 am
Congrats on the contract extension with MD Evan.

Ox
03-29-13, 8:11 pm
Hey Evan! wanted to say you're an inspiration to me, because I too was very overweight all my life. By age 15 I was 230 lbs. and about 5'4", my question is in regards to the product of this obesity.

Since I was so overweight my waist was about 40", I lost a tremendous amount of weight and fast forward 5 years later and now I am 5'8" at 170 with a 30" waist. Bodybuilding is my passion and my goal is to become a competitive bodybuilder. I am fairly lean (I can see my abs and nice vascularity etc) but I have a lot of loose skin around my belly, it looks really bad and appears as if it were fat, but I have determined it's loose skin/water just because the texture and the way it ripples. Did you have this problem when you lost all the weight? and what would you recommend to counter it? thanks OX!

Congrats on the success you've had so far! That's excellent. I can completely understand the point you're at right now. You've lost the weight but you're still not where you want to be. It's like an in-between phase. I've been there. I did have some lose skin after losing all that weight but not too bad. I didnt stay at that lighter weight too long as I decided fairly quickly I needed to put on muscle to look how I wanted to look. The muscle I added helped to fill my skin back out somewhat. That, and staying at a lower bodyfat continuously helped to eventually make it go away. The longer you stay lean, it should eventually tighten up. I wish you all the best. Stick with it and you can get where you want to go.

Ox
03-29-13, 8:14 pm
Hey Ox.

What are your thoughts on short rest periods between sets and super-set style of workouts. This style of training was extremely popular back in the Golden-Era of Bodybuilding by Pro's such as Danny Padilla, Samir Bannout, Vince Gironda and Serge Nubret. High volume with very short rests between sets, no longer than a minute and usually around 30 seconds. Padilla usually always performed 5 sets of 12 reps using the same weight on each set with 30 second rest periods. Once he reached 12 reps on all 5 sets he would then add weight. Serge Nubret also trained in this same exact style. And to me I think the Golden-Era of Bodybuilding had some of the most aesthetic physiques.

I've been performing these types of workouts and I fell in love with them. The pumps are incredible and the workouts act as a cardio session as well which is a plus.

Wondering your specific thoughts on this training style and if you've ever performed any workouts like these.

Thanks Ox!

Anything can work. But if you decided to train this way, it will dictate the style of your training. There is no way to train stupid heavy with movements like squats, deads, barbell rows etc etc and nail set after set with little to no rest. I think it's a good way to mix it up. I don't think it is as condusive to building the mass bodybuilders seek today. Can it work to help you look good? Sure. Do I think Ronnie would still have looked like Ronnie if he trained like that? Doubt it.

Ox
03-29-13, 8:21 pm
Ox,

What's up OX. New to the ANIMALPAK....Working on getting back into shape, drop a few pounds and work towards gaining muscle mass and strength back. Staying motivated by going to the gym on a routine basis right now. My son has helped motivated me again as i am a 20 year military veteran and fell off the wagon for a few years putting on an extra 30 lbs due to various injuries and lake of structure. I have started back up and looking forward to the positive results i see each day/week/month of working out. I am currently doing about 1.5 hours weights and .5 of cardio. I am taking ConCrete pre workout and doing Various Protein shakes for post and at times in between meals or as a meal shake. Anyone got a solid routine for me as i have been doing various items each day i hit the gym now for about 1 month and am looking at now my body is used to more pain tolerence to get a good solid routine that i can reap the results. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hey man, welcome! Unfortunately, I can't help you with a routine. That's something you have to come up with based on what fits your goals and your recuperative abilities. Speaking in completely generic terms; training one major muscle group per workout with 3-4 exercises and anywhere from 3-4 sets per exercise is a good place to start. Then again, it's my firm belief that WHAT you do is far less important than HOW you do it. One set, done in extreme fashion by one individual, can be more productive than 10 sets done by someone else. Don't let the numbers or the structure fool you. The main objective is to OVERLOAD the muscle with resistance! What I'm trying to say is, just go and work HARD, make it hurt, do things you're not comfortable doing and otherwise push your current limits...that's how progress happens! Best of luck

Ox
03-29-13, 8:22 pm
Ox! What's up buddy? Just wanted to say I'm a huge fan n throw some support your way. Recently saw some videos of you n Derrick Poundstone banggin some plate around. Might of been old but I'm a little behind on the times when it comes to technology haha. Props on tryin out each others styles. You truley are an ox and that dudes a fuckin moose. Much respect brotha!

Thanks pal. That vid is from a while back but I'm glad you like it. That is one big dude. And fucking strong!

Ox
03-29-13, 8:27 pm
2 weeks out over here! Thank you for all the continued inspiration my brother.

My man! You looked fantastic last time I saw you and I have no doubt this showing will be your best yet. You've made a lot of progress in a short period of time. That doesn't happen without hard work...for that I have a lot respect. Can't wait to see the end result my man. Keep it together and remember that you've come way too far and invested far too much to do things any less than 110% in these remaining days. You're the man.

Ox
03-29-13, 8:27 pm
Congrats on the contract extension with MD Evan.

Hey thanks pal!

The Future
04-02-13, 9:37 am
I trid Green Vibrance years ago and didn't like it. It messed my stomach up and gave me intolerable gas! So I ditched it. Too many ingredients in my opinion. I think my body works best with simple supplements and foods...too many ingredients never seems like a good thing for my digestion.

Yup! I met that freak. Holy shit, it's been a while since I've seen a young guy with a serious build. That is one thick kid and if he continues on and does what he needs to do he's gonna tear shit up! I look forward to seeing it. And he seems like a genuinely nice kid too. Give him my best.

Wowwwwww Evan those are truly inspiring words coming from you man! Makes me push harder in the gym! It was great meeting you at Powerhouse New Haven! I'm 12 weeks out from the NPC Mr.CT!! My first show ever! Watching your training vids before working out has become a ritual. Training legs without shoes, dead lifting at the end, not squatting first..more whole meals , aminos.....etc IT'S ALL GENIUS! And working wonders on my body! Can't wait until I can afford to train at Powerhouse NEW Haven full time!! - Jeff "the future" Logan

The Future
04-02-13, 9:43 am
Wowwwwww Evan those are truly inspiring words coming from you man! Makes me push harder in the gym! It was great meeting you at Powerhouse New Haven! I'm 12 weeks out from the NPC Mr.CT!! My first show ever! Watching your training vids before working out has become a ritual. Training legs without shoes, dead lifting at the end, not squatting first..more whole meals , aminos.....etc IT'S ALL GENIUS! And working wonders on my body! Can't wait until I can afford to train at Powerhouse NEW Haven full time!! - Jeff "the future" Logan

Ps. And we have the same birthday big guy haha sucks it's during pre contest, can't have any cake lol

-matt-
04-02-13, 10:06 am
great thread

N. Motta
04-08-13, 10:27 pm
Hey happy belated birthday holmes.

(Not at stalker, saw it on MD) Haha

Ox
04-17-13, 8:31 am

Hahahaha that's awesome that you're finding new things that work well for you. I'm really excited to see you compete because I think you can win the show and it's always exciting to see a young guy display great development as it is a testament to hard work and dedication...two thinks you don't see often, especially with young people. Stay 100% focused and you'll have something great to show for it.

Ox
04-17-13, 8:32 am
Ps. And we have the same birthday big guy haha sucks it's during pre contest, can't have any cake lol

No shit huh? An aries? The competition is in serious trouble. Eh, you can have your cake after you win the show.

Ox
04-17-13, 8:33 am
Hey happy belated birthday holmes.

(Not at stalker, saw it on MD) Haha

Hahahahaha thanks pal

C.Coronato
04-19-13, 1:28 pm
My man! You looked fantastic last time I saw you and I have no doubt this showing will be your best yet. You've made a lot of progress in a short period of time. That doesn't happen without hard work...for that I have a lot respect. Can't wait to see the end result my man. Keep it together and remember that you've come way too far and invested far too much to do things any less than 110% in these remaining days. You're the man.

Thank you my brother. Hit a few hiccups through prep, but we all live and learn. Thank you for your constant motivation and pushing my man. Ill forever be grateful.

BB-FLEXPRO
04-19-13, 5:25 pm
Hey big Ox!
I am a big follower of yours and you inspire me in every way even outside of the bodybuilding part of life! Want to use the brilliant opportunity now to ask one of the top pro for some advise :)

I had somewhat the same past as you and was very overweight ( 240 pounds at 5'7...). Since then i dropped down to now 170 lbs an have given myself over to the bodybuilding lifestyle completley. As you can imagine ive been on a general cut for a loooong time doing keto and other things to get in shape. While being in a deficit that long is pretty tough and taxing i lost a lot of strenth as well as size but attained a fairly decent shape. i am only still cutting because i have the same old problem as some fellow animals with that damn loose skin in the abdomen region it almost kills me...
On the other side as i said im only 170 lbs (approx. 140 lbm) and want to know wbat you would sugfest me to do now...i think i am a bit lost considering i am exactly in such an " in between" phase but in the long term my goal is definitly to get big and strong as a bull with an acceptable bf%...

2nd question is about bulking: What do you think of Carb back loading in terms of eating keto style till you workout and then slam carbs post workout...on off days complete keto style eating. i know for big bodybuilders like you that wouldnt be practical but for a "smaler" guy who needs to gain size and is sensitive to carbs?

Sorry for the blablabla i just wanted you to know my background and were im coming from...:)

Thanks big man!

mgarciac
04-24-13, 1:20 pm
ox hey men, thank you for reading, and for answering all the questions.

well now im taking animal m-stak, but i want some supplement after workout, i dont know if try protein or creatine, what you recommend, what brands?

i was using nitrotech some time ago, but i think there are better products.

thank you

Drew
04-25-13, 9:21 pm
What do you think of Carb back loading

also curious

Arno
04-29-13, 2:14 pm
Hey Evan,

I'm currently on a cycle, and I had a few questions about PCT.
I want to add a testbooster, if necessary?, when I'm going into my PCT. I'm looking at both Animal Stak and Animal Test. They both seem to be great supplements to add to a PCT.
Which one do you advise to take? Is there also any PCT advise that you can give me, maybe I read some things I didn't know yet?

Thanks in advance,
Arno

Ox
04-29-13, 5:32 pm
Thank you my brother. Hit a few hiccups through prep, but we all live and learn. Thank you for your constant motivation and pushing my man. Ill forever be grateful.

Bro, I wasn't able to find a lot of pics from the show but the ones I saw were extremely impressive. Best I've seen you that's for sure. And of course, it goes without saying, your legs are just nuts.